PDA

View Full Version : We Still Need a Point Guard

Pages : [1] 2

TrainOfThought5
07-10-2023, 12:35 AM
The unintended consequence of Wemby’s Summer League Revenge is that it highlighted the need for us to have a REAL NBA caliber Point Guard for the Starting Lineup and the bench. Tre Jones is a mediocre starting option. Wesley and Branham clearly won’t get the job done. I have No confidence in Graham to do anything but score in buckets. We didn’t trade up for any of the options in what’s looking like a very deep PG draft in ‘23. What do we do to help Wemby succeed this year?

Mr. Body
07-10-2023, 12:53 AM
Nothing. The team is the team.

07-10-2023, 12:56 AM
Draft one in next year's lottery.

onechance87
07-10-2023, 01:02 AM
yes we do....It will help wemby alot getting the ball were hes comfortable and can get easy baskets to get him going

spursparker9
07-10-2023, 01:04 AM
Draft Bronny James next year and his father as well

vander
07-10-2023, 01:09 AM
Wemby is 19, why people think Spurs are contending next year?
only objective is keeping him healthy, acclimation to the NBA, and adding some muscle.

TimmehC
07-10-2023, 01:14 AM
Y'know how the Spurs have all those first rounders coming up? I'm guessing one of those ends up being our lead guard. Unless Vassell vastly improves his playmaking from last year.

BatManu20
07-10-2023, 01:14 AM
Enter Sandman.

https://media.tenor.com/6WhgoN6Hau4AAAAC/tre-jones-tre.gif

HankChinaski
07-10-2023, 01:17 AM
As much as him putting on more weight and muscle he still is only 19 and it's not outside of the realm he could still grow more. What could probably happen is him acclimating and adjust to NBA game and schedule while physically conditioning to rigors. The need for more strength/muscle isn't something that is needed immediately.

Rather other facets of his game is worked on. Weight training isn't difficult when you have the staff and facilities of a professional sports team

HankChinaski
07-10-2023, 01:19 AM
Also. Finding a solid point guard won't be a difficult task as addressing a front court in today's NBA. Not worried there.

onechance87
07-10-2023, 01:20 AM
Y'know how the Spurs have all those first rounders coming up? I'm guessing one of those ends up being our lead guard. Unless Vassell vastly improves his playmaking from last year.

or if the front office see wesley or branham as our future pg,Which would be crazy.

venitian navigator
07-10-2023, 02:08 AM
I think we are at worst just one year away from fixing our point guard position... If Charlotte gets better (but they still have to re sign their top free agents, P. J. Washington and Oubre) and Toronto doesn't horribly sink, next draft we're at risk of having three first round picks, two of them possibly being in the lottery and the other one just outside the lottery... Say we got, for example, number 6 (ours) 9 (Raptors) and 17 (Hornets)...wouldn't that be a more than sufficient package to trade for a very good point guard (in case we don't find out the one we like in the draft)? At the moment, for example, considering the back court struggles of Cleveland, Garland is the first one that came to mind...

rankingtear
07-10-2023, 02:19 AM
We got Sochan.

jesterbobman
07-10-2023, 02:31 AM
Like others have said, seems likely there'll be a swing on a PG prospect in next years draft. We don't know who'll pop exactly, but Collier, Proctor, Castle, Wagner all seem possible as options, and the Spurs should have, or be able to acquire, a pick in the range to get whoever they think is best.

I'd note though, any young PG (and generally, player) is likely to be bad in year 1. There's normally only 2 or so neutral or better rookies in each year. But a guy with more promise is probably part of the plan.

objective
07-10-2023, 02:38 AM
Few point guards are ready right out of the draft. Even taking one next year, if there's one available at that pick, he probably wouldn't be ready until year 2 or 3 or so, and that's if he's not a bust at all like Suggs or Hayes. That basically means Wemby's entire first contract might be without a good point guard.

The free agent options under the age of 35 the next 2 summers are pretty bad also. No Dejounte.

They missed out on Paul. Couldn't outbid Houston for VanVleet if they had wanted. OKC wouldn't trade Micic, if SA had even wanted him.

If Lillard is available and willing, he might be the best way to go, because getting a top 20 point guard to this team is going to bevery hard. His deal would be over in time for a Wemby extension leaving one summer of Lillard coming off the cap if I'm reading things right.

SpursGenius
07-10-2023, 04:12 AM
Draft one in next year's lottery.
They should have traded some assets to get Black or Amen. They will need to do that next draft assuming they don’t get high lottery pick with their own pick.

TDMVPDPOY
07-10-2023, 05:34 AM
john wall on minimum??

Obstructed_View
07-10-2023, 05:42 AM
or if the front office see wesley or branham as our future pg,Which would be crazy.

Branham has done a decent job bringing up the ball, but the team has shown no signs of shoehorning him into the point spot like they have with Blake, which was a stupid idea from the start.

When Sochan is running the offense, you guys won't even remember this time.

spursparker9
07-10-2023, 06:20 AM
How about James Harden? Oh wait...he opted in....haha forget it

8FOR!3
07-10-2023, 06:27 AM
Tre Jones will be the starter. Graham will be the backup. Wesley will be the 3rd string PG. Branham might get the occasional minutes there as well and sometimes Sochan/Wemby will run the offense. Would I have preferred a second capable PG alongside Tre? Yeah, but this is what we're rolling with.

Dejounte
07-10-2023, 06:28 AM
Wesley will in it, IMO. Basketball is a vertical game as much as it is horizontal. Wemby now has control over anything that goes up in the air, we’ll need players who feast on ground level defensively. Wesley is developing into a two way guard and brings bursts of game changing pace when the offense becomes dull. Yeah, his passing and decision making could improve but the potential he is showing in other areas is worth the patience needed to see him grow.

Dejounte
07-10-2023, 06:35 AM
https://youtu.be/C2DLfJy16Mc

No one else on the team is as explosive as this.

When the opposing team knows your plays, it’s players like this that break the defense wide open.

The “Wemby needs help” crowd should support Wesley’s growth. Players like Wesley need to be a tad selfish in order to contribute. We saw it with Tony. These guys help relieve the load for other people. Wemby will be happy he doesn’t need to do it all when he has a speedster in Wesley and be a one man fastbreak because he can pick pockets easily.

cutewizard
07-10-2023, 06:47 AM
Tony should mentor Blake

RC_Drunkford
07-10-2023, 06:55 AM
Blake is elite at one thing: he can run fast

That's it. His defense can be good, but was only at the end of the game. Before that his defensive strategy was: Let the defender get by and try a wrap around steal that results in a foul most of the time. His handle is too loose, his decision making is terrible, his finishing sucks. If his midrange jumper is consistent that's something. He should definitely spend more time in the G-League.

99 Problems
07-10-2023, 07:31 AM
Not convinced we wait until next draft. Sure they won’t rush into anything rash. But I think if they feel a quality vet pg is needed they find their man for early Wemby years moving forward.

Spurs Homer
07-10-2023, 07:47 AM
Wemby is 19, why people think Spurs are contending next year?
only objective is keeping him healthy, acclimation to the NBA, and adding some muscle.

I keep reading these kind of takes and it makes me laugh...

either you are really a negative nancy - or you think you know more than you do.

You might actually be correct - no one knows - the spurs could discover that Wemby is as has been bandied about - a generational talent -
and they might compete this coming season.

There is enough evidence from watching with our own eyes that this way of thinking is outdated (assuming immediately that a player NEEDS A FEW SEASONS to actually get to a certain level and that the first 2-3 are just throwaway seasons to get ready for this blossoming of talent to organically occur)

this kid appears to be on a very high level from day one and yes he will get better - but he may already be solid NBA material in his rookie season...

that is why i cannot believe the spurs havent gone out to get Lillard - a star who wont just be around every season waiting for them.

Shit, even an ancient Lowry for one season is better for Victor than the poor guys we saw last night.

hoopdreams11
07-10-2023, 08:23 AM
Orlando has Suggs, Anthony, Black and Fulz they should be offloading soon

Dejounte
07-10-2023, 08:25 AM
I’m a fan of Fultz tbh

John B
07-10-2023, 08:27 AM
I trust PATFO than anybody here in evaluating talent. Nobody here has 5 rings. They are rolling with this team, evaluating where Wemby stands, likewise the rest of the team, then will make the right move at the right time. Tre is more than capable of making sure Wemby gets enough touches and where he needs them. And also there’s Sochan who could also play PG at times. PATFO will make that determination if our talent is enough to maximize Wemby’s potential, and will make that move when the time comes. Just trust the process.

slick'81
07-10-2023, 08:32 AM
I trust PATFO than anybody here in evaluating talent. Nobody here has 5 rings. They are rolling with this team, evaluating where Wemby stands, likewise the rest of the team, then will make the right move at the right time. Tre is more than capable of making sure Wemby gets enough touches and where he needs them. And also there’s Sochan who could also play PG at times. PATFO will make that determination if our talent is enough to maximize Wemby’s potential, and will make that move when the time comes. Just trust the process.

Trust the process:smokin

rankingtear
07-10-2023, 08:37 AM
I keep reading these kind of takes and it makes me laugh...

either you are really a negative nancy - or you think you know more than you do.

You might actually be correct - no one knows - the spurs could discover that Wemby is as has been bandied about - a generational talent -
and they might compete this coming season.

There is enough evidence from watching with our own eyes that this way of thinking is outdated (assuming immediately that a player NEEDS A FEW SEASONS to actually get to a certain level and that the first 2-3 are just throwaway seasons to get ready for this blossoming of talent to organically occur)

this kid appears to be on a very high level from day one and yes he will get better - but he may already be solid NBA material in his rookie season...

that is why i cannot believe the spurs havent gone out to get Lillard - a star who wont just be around every season waiting for them.

Shit, even an ancient Lowry for one season is better for Victor than the poor guys we saw last night.

I played fantasy enough to know that this is a fact to this day. What eye test evidence that disproves this? Mobley is the most impactful rookie since Duncan and he still experienced the sophomore slump.

LeBowen
07-10-2023, 09:08 AM

That's it. His defense can be good, but was only at the end of the game. Before that his defensive strategy was: Let the defender get by and try a wrap around steal that results in a foul most of the time. His handle is too loose, his decision making is terrible, his finishing sucks. If his midrange jumper is consistent that's something. He should definitely spend more time in the G-League.

Yeah, I'm trying really hard, but I simply don't see a role for him other than end of the bench guy you throw in for a couple of minutes and see if he gets hot.
He most definitely has no chance to be a full time point guard. It'll be easier for him to develop a good shot than all the things you mentioned.

As for the matter at hand, I really don't see a realistic target that's available other than maybe Lowry if Spurs take his expiring in Lillard trade.

rascal
07-10-2023, 09:21 AM
Since the Spurs couldn't move up and draft one of the top PGs this year the best route is to get into the top 10 and draft one of the top PGs next year. There are a few solid PG options next year.

The Spurs have already said they want to see what they have with Wemby and the current roster.

Crazymaddopeyo
07-10-2023, 09:24 AM
John Wall is working out for teams :wow

rascal
07-10-2023, 09:29 AM
Spurs have the second worst, ahead of Washington, guards in the league.

Vince Carter's ankle
07-10-2023, 09:41 AM
Spurs have the second worst, ahead of Washington, guards in the league.
Jazz?
Nets?
Clippers?
Raptors?

Ariel
07-10-2023, 09:50 AM
I’m a fan of Fultz tbh
I could live with the sub 30% from 3, but he's missed about 60% of the games in the 6 seasons since he's been drafted, that alone rules him out for me.

Russ
07-10-2023, 09:51 AM
. . . i cannot believe the spurs havent gone out to get Lillard - a star who wont just be around every season waiting for them.

The Spurs appear wisely to be more interested in insulating Wemby and the other youngsters from potential negative influences, e.g., guys worrying about the latter stages of their careers, knowing they won't be a part of the team when it's contending, not caring about winning or, worse, getting frustrated and negative when the team isn't winning. In short, teaching the young players all the jaded time-weary "me first" bad habits the Spurs want them to avoid.

Let the young players come up together, get disappointed together, overcome adversity with each other, learn to win together. The two vets they have, McDermott and Collins, seem perfectly suited for this. Let them and Pop be the only older voices on the team and eliminate all possible sources of "noise," especially noise that might come from within.

Ariel
07-10-2023, 09:52 AM
Orlando has Suggs, Anthony, Black and Fulz they should be offloading soon
Anthony Black they just drafted and they're invested in Suggs, I think Fultz is the odd man out and Cole Anthony will be used in a trade to round up the roster.

Ariel
07-10-2023, 09:59 AM
The Spurs appear wisely to be more interested in insulating Wemby and the other youngsters from potential negative influences, e.g., guys worrying about the latter stages of their careers, knowing they won't be a part of the team when it's contending, not caring about winning or, worse, getting frustrated and negative when the team isn't winning. In short, teaching the young players all the jaded time-weary "me first" bad habits the Spurs want them to avoid.

Let the young players come up together, get disappointed together, overcome adversity with each other, learn to win together. The two vets they have, McDermott and Collins, seem perfectly suited for this. Let them and Pop be the only older voices on the team and eliminate all possible sources of "noise," especially noise that might come from within.
There was a middle ground between doing nothing on on hand, and bringing in expensive win now stars on the decline or washed out vets that may be unhappy and disruptive. Personally I wanted to go get a Monte Morris or sorts, a vet in his prime that would cost little both in terms of assets (went for 1 second rounder) and contract (under 10M) and can run an offense and be a 3pt threat. But there will be other guys available. I don't think we should give up on Blake, but I'd like him to work in his game one more season in Austin, and have another "more seasoned" pg run the team and help the rest of the young core (Wemby, Sochan, Malaki, Barlow, etc).

barakz21
07-10-2023, 10:07 AM
While Wesley is very clearly a work in progress, what’s not to say he CAN’T be the next TP? He has the speed, which can’t be taught. What he doesn’t have is the latter’s handles and finishing. TP didn’t become the playmaker that he was until years later, and even at his best he was nowhere near the level of the top PGs of his era (but he was damn good enough to get the job done). Granted, Wesley is nowhere near TP’s readiness to play at the same stage of their careers.

Crazymaddopeyo
07-10-2023, 10:18 AM
That is why i cannot believe the spurs havent gone out to get Lillard - a star who wont just be around every season waiting for them.

What makes you think the guy is ready to compete for a championship? If he stays healthy then yes in about 3 or 4 years he will be ready. By then Dame will be 36 or 37 and not nearly as good as he is now. Even the experts that have been doing this for years and know that Wemby is a phenom know that it's still going to take time for him to get there.

No to mention Dame's agent is going around telling teams that he will be unhappy if he's not on the Heat.

couchman
07-10-2023, 10:19 AM
Tre is gonna ball out next year. Mark it down.
Unless he is injured he’ll be top 10 in assists and be second on the Spurs in most of the advanced stats like WAR and PER etc.
He wont take a lot of shots away from Wemby & Co while setting people up and playing solid defense

Spurs Homer
07-10-2023, 10:40 AM
I played fantasy enough to know that this is a fact to this day. What eye test evidence that disproves this? Mobley is the most impactful rookie since Duncan and he still experienced the sophomore slump.

not sure if we are disagreeing -

im just saying - wait -

wait to see if this kid is truly a generational talent and if he is he might not need 3 seasons to mature and get better -

oh he will get better by year three - barring injuries - but he might not suck the first 2 seasons

Spurs Homer
07-10-2023, 10:43 AM
What makes you think the guy is ready to compete for a championship? If he stays healthy then yes in about 3 or 4 years he will be ready. By then Dame will be 36 or 37 and not nearly as good as he is now. Even the experts that have been doing this for years and know that Wemby is a phenom know that it's still going to take time for him to get there.

No to mention Dame's agent is going around telling teams that he will be unhappy if he's not on the Heat.

How do all you EXPERTS know already that wemby need X amount of seasons?

Gotta be open to think in new ways, IMHO -
sure maybe he follows the traditional slow, steady climb to greatness -

OR NOT?

Mr. Body
07-10-2023, 10:45 AM
Fultz really isn't much better than Tre Jones, especially at his price point... He's making $17 million expiring and will want the same and more. He's also a bad shooter, same as Jones. Getting him, even if possible, is an expensive acquisition that is just a lateral move.

rascal
07-10-2023, 10:47 AM
Wemby will be an all star in year one.

KobesAchilles
07-10-2023, 10:54 AM
Yeah for all the people stupidly saying to wait. Wait for what? Why does Wemby need to wait for a person to run an offense correctly? Why does Wemby have to wait for a PG to to get him the ball in spots he likes? Why should he wait for a person to run the pic n roll with him properly. There’s literally zero basketball reasons for us not to set up Wemby for success this season.

He’s a rookie. Him getting comfortable in the nba is sure as hell helped out by a competent PG. Otherwise you’re going to have a lot of summer league situations. Wemby catching the ball in a place he isn’t comfortable and having to “make a play.” That’s shit you save for the 4th not the whole fucking game.

Some of the takes here are beyond stupid. Trust the process, Wemby doesn’t need a PG that can actually help him this year. We aren’t competing anyways so why should we get a person who can run an offense?

Mr. Body
07-10-2023, 11:19 AM
Yeah for all the people stupidly saying to wait. Wait for what? Why does Wemby need to wait for a person to run an offense correctly? Why does Wemby have to wait for a PG to to get him the ball in spots he likes? Why should he wait for a person to run the pic n roll with him properly. There’s literally zero basketball reasons for us not to set up Wemby for success this season.

He’s a rookie. Him getting comfortable in the nba is sure as hell helped out by a competent PG. Otherwise you’re going to have a lot of summer league situations. Wemby catching the ball in a place he isn’t comfortable and having to “make a play.” That’s shit you save for the 4th not the whole fucking game.

Some of the takes here are beyond stupid. Trust the process, Wemby doesn’t need a PG that can actually help him this year. We aren’t competing anyways so why should we get a person who can run an offense?

You don't seem to understand what they mean by wait.

ChumpDumper
07-10-2023, 11:28 AM

OR NOT?

Just playing the percentages. Not quite expecting a LeBron impact from Wemby in his rookie season. Sure, I could be wrong. The rest of the team overall is also at an early developmental stage and it would take more than one vet to change that trajectory as well.

timvp
07-10-2023, 11:32 AM
After seeing Wemby in action against NBA athleticism, I like how Tre Jones fits next to him. You don't really need an awesome playmaker next to Wemby because he can get open and create his own plays. You just need someone who will pass him the ball in the right spots. Jones can't shoot and isn't much of a playmaker but he's a very good passer in transition and I'm confident he can hit Wemby in halfcourt sets when he needs to ball.

Jones, Vassell, KJ, Sochan and Zollins are all at least decent passers. KJ is probably the worst of the bunch but his issue is mostly that he's not good when passing on the move. Jones passing to Wemby in transition will be nice. Sochan has the most passing potential on the team. Vassell's not a dynamic passer but he sees the floor. Hell, Zollins' high-low passing will be really helpful.

LeBowen
07-10-2023, 11:33 AM
Yeah for all the people stupidly saying to wait. Wait for what?

Wait for a solid point guard to be available for a reasonable price?
All of you people who want a point guard just keep talking about it and yet noone ever mentions any realistic solutions.

Yeah, I want Garland, he'd be perfect for the Spurs and I'd gladly give up Keldon and 3 FRPs for him. But it's a pipe dream and Cavs will never do it.
Same goes for Lillard who doesn't want to waste what's left of his prime on a rebuilding team.

Please enlighten us with at least a couple of realistic names.

timvp
07-10-2023, 11:36 AM
Wesley will in it, IMO. Basketball is a vertical game as much as it is horizontal. Wemby now has control over anything that goes up in the air, we’ll need players who feast on ground level defensively. Wesley is developing into a two way guard and brings bursts of game changing pace when the offense becomes dull. Yeah, his passing and decision making could improve but the potential he is showing in other areas is worth the patience needed to see him grow.

https://youtu.be/C2DLfJy16Mc

No one else on the team is as explosive as this.

When the opposing team knows your plays, it’s players like this that break the defense wide open.

The “Wemby needs help” crowd should support Wesley’s growth. Players like Wesley need to be a tad selfish in order to contribute. We saw it with Tony. These guys help relieve the load for other people. Wemby will be happy he doesn’t need to do it all when he has a speedster in Wesley and be a one man fastbreak because he can pick pockets easily.

Good stuff, Dejounte. I agree with what you're getting at.

Wesley can be frustrating to watch but the kid entered the NBA about as raw as any guard in recent memory. He's learning and, yes, he has to push the envelope to be impactful. He can't be Tre Jones out there and make it in the NBA because he'll never be a high feel type of player. Wesley has to be a bolt of unpredictable energy -- and he's getting there. It feels like his progression is slow sometimes but I like how he's trending, big picture-wise.

XenoThirteen
07-10-2023, 11:37 AM

There’s waiting for the sake of waiting (which you seem to imply in this post). That’s obviously a mistake and a waste of time.

Then there’s waiting for the right opportunity. I admit I wanted a few PG’s in the draft. For whatever reason, PATFO didn’t trade up for any of them. Perhaps they were too expensive? Either way, we couldn’t get one. Then there was Free Agency. None of the free agent PGs would have been worth it, IMO. Maybe Reaves, but he was never leaving LA. Trade for Patty maybe? Take a flyer on John Wall or Derrick Rose before he signed?

Barring those, our only option now seems to be to wait for better opportunities that won’t cost too much asset-wise.

Yes, we need to upgrade our PG situation. It’s obvious. But the one we get needs to at least be a clear-cut upgrade over what we already have at a price the FO is willing to pay for. That probably means we have to either get one via Trade, from a team with a lot point guards (Cle? Orlando?) or we wait for next year’s draft.

John B
07-10-2023, 11:38 AM

The way he fills the arena, and the new bandwagon followers who are mesmerized by his sheer height alone. It’s absolutely certain he will be. Even Zaza almost got voted by Dubs bandwagon.

Crazymaddopeyo
07-10-2023, 11:41 AM

OR NOT?

I don’t know if any great prospect has ever been ready right out the gate. Not even Lebron. So why sacrifice young players and picks to take a crazy chance? The statistics show that it will take a few years and experience. Instead you can be patient, keep your other prospects and let them grow together or get a better player/fit than Damn down the road.

callo1
07-10-2023, 11:42 AM
Blake seems like a sprinter playing basketball. He needs to overcome his speed getting him out of control. There is still time for him to make significant progress, so I am excited to see him mature.

exstatic
07-10-2023, 11:47 AM
Draft Bronny James next year and his father as well

No to joining the circus.

exstatic
07-10-2023, 11:55 AM

Nope. He can move WITH THE BALL fast, like elite fast. That's not an every day NBA skill.

Gagnrath
07-10-2023, 11:56 AM
I hear Patty Mills is possibly available, has a trade friendly contract and is somewhat familiar with the spurs coaching staff and methods.

sfernald
07-10-2023, 01:54 PM
So reports are they we are going after herro and one of several teams willing to give up a first for him. Some people think he can make the transition to point guard if given the time to adapt.

ChumpDumper
07-10-2023, 02:01 PM
So reports are they we are going after herro and one of several teams willing to give up a first for him. Some people think he can make the transition to point guard if given the time to adapt.

If there are reports, post links to them.

exstatic
07-10-2023, 02:09 PM
If there are reports, post links to them.

Seconded.

Ariel
07-10-2023, 02:14 PM
https://twitter.com/esidery/status/1678454873329737751

There are multiple teams interested in trading a first-round pick for Tyler Herro to help facilitate Damian Lillard ending up on the Heat, per @ShamsCharania on @PatMcAfeeShow
The Nets and Spurs have previously been linked to Herro in potential trade discussions.
This is the closest to that I've read, but saying we've "been linked to"Herro it's not the same as saying we're "going after" Herro.

Mr. Body
07-10-2023, 02:14 PM

If the Spurs wanted Herro, the POR-MIA deal would be close to done with "elements to be hashed out." Instead we're getting "this deal may take a long time."

Herro has already shown he cannot play point guard in Miami.

I don't see the Spurs interested. He needs seventeen shots a game and I don't see the Spurs giving him those at the expense of players they already have.

TrainOfThought5
07-10-2023, 02:37 PM
After seeing Wemby in action against NBA athleticism, I like how Tre Jones fits next to him. You don't really need an awesome playmaker next to Wemby because he can get open and create his own plays. You just need someone who will pass him the ball in the right spots. Jones can't shoot and isn't much of a playmaker but he's a very good passer in transition and I'm confident he can hit Wemby in halfcourt sets when he needs to ball.

Jones, Vassell, KJ, Sochan and Zollins are all at least decent passers. KJ is probably the worst of the bunch but his issue is mostly that he's not good when passing on the move. Jones passing to Wemby in transition will be nice. Sochan has the most passing potential on the team. Vassell's not a dynamic passer but he sees the floor. Hell, Zollins' high-low passing will be really helpful.

If tre isn’t a shooter or a playmaker then why is he our starter and what does he bring to the table to justify us not seeking an upgrade?

exstatic
07-10-2023, 02:47 PM
If tre isn’t a shooter or a playmaker then why is he our starter and what does he bring to the table to justify us not seeking an upgrade?

Tank starter.

Mitch Cumsteen
07-10-2023, 02:48 PM

He's a table setter. There's value to someone who can get the offense into the right set and get the ball to the right person - recognizing a mismatch or correctly feeding the post or making the pass that leads to the pass that gets a bucket. He doesn't have to be Chris Paul to be an effective point guard. There are other duties. If he could knock down an open shot, that would be helpful too.

TrainOfThought5
07-10-2023, 02:58 PM

agreed. Which is why I think we need to bring in a good point guard this year. They should’ve sacrificed those picks to bring in Anthony Black.

scott
07-10-2023, 02:59 PM
After two SL games, I'm as excited as ever for Wemby mania and our future. With that said, it has firmly planted me in the camp of "let's take this slow" as opposed to "add pieces now". I'm expecting us to be drafting somewhere around #6-8 next summer.

Do think we should try to add a PG who will at least be able to aid in the development of the team rather than be a hinderance. Lowry fits the bill if he comes with draft compensation, though Miami will have none left to give if they are getting Dame.

MultiTroll
07-10-2023, 03:05 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0sRqXnWIAAfjWc?format=jpg&name=small
https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.d9iSKn7FATYlf42aVTepBQHaF7?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

TrainOfThought5
07-10-2023, 03:06 PM
After two SL games, I'm as excited as ever for Wemby mania and our future. With that said, it has firmly planted me in the camp of "let's take this slow" as opposed to "add pieces now". I'm expecting us to be drafting somewhere around #6-8 next summer.

Do think we should try to add a PG who will at least be able to aid in the development of the team rather than be a hinderance. Lowry fits the bill if he comes with draft compensation, though Miami will have none left to give if they are getting Dame.

If Wemby is An All star from season one we should have a good point guard from season one. But we’ll see.

Mr. Body
07-10-2023, 03:08 PM
If Wemby is An All star from season one we should have a good point guard from season one. But we’ll see.

Who?

KobesAchilles
07-10-2023, 03:19 PM
He's a table setter. There's value to someone who can get the offense into the right set and get the ball to the right person - recognizing a mismatch or correctly feeding the post or making the pass that leads to the pass that gets a bucket. He doesn't have to be Chris Paul to be an effective point guard. There are other duties. If he could knock down an open shot, that would be helpful too.
You need one 4 things and Tre can do zero of them.

Theres the I’m really fast and athletic and im gonna blow past you with my speed and athleticism like Westbrook or Ja. They eventually turned into decent passers. They are score first and look for others third.

Theres the deceptively quick guys who use there smarts and know how to get to places on the floor. They set others up and can score when they are called upon. They are actual threats with the ball in their hands though and not somebody you can just leave open. Like a Mike Conley.

There’s the dribble dribble point guard who always has the ball in his hands and makes every single play. Like Harden of Luka. They are downhill attack point guards who shoot a ton of step back 3s or in the old days long twos. And they have crazy good court vision, but unfortunately it’s underhanded by how much they have the ball and don’t know what to do when they don’t have the ball in their hands.

And lastly there is the im going to control everything point guard. This is the magic Johnson, the Chris Paul, the John Stockton. I’m in charge of the offense. I tell you where to be. If you run the play correctly you will get the pass, if you dive hard, if you set a good screen, if you cut. These types of players are different than the dribble dribble above where they are looking for others to score rather than score.

But unfortunately we have the I’m slower, I can’t shoot, can’t defend, and can’t run an offense in crunch time PG.

The obvious answer was to get Chris Paul for a middling pick this year. He is everything you want for Wemby even at 38. Everybody sees the bad in Chris Paul on this site, but I see him like Larry Brown. An all time great who is a hard ass and demanding, and a complete asshole. And if you have him on your team for over 4 years they turn into a cancer, but for quick short term success, you can’t ask for better

I also really wanted Wallace. I have no idea what he will become in OKC with Shay and Chet and Giddy all having the ball in their hands, but man he was everything this team needed. We could t have beaten the OKC price and I get not trading did him but damn it would’ve been nice to have tried.

How’s Lonzos knee? Lol

scott
07-10-2023, 03:22 PM
Can we also acknowledge that forcing Sochan into playing PG on an extended basis is also not going to cut it?

slick'81
07-10-2023, 03:23 PM
Can we also acknowledge that forcing Sochan into playing PG on an extended basis is also not going to cut it?

cant be anyworse then trey,tbh

scott
07-10-2023, 03:30 PM
cant be anyworse then trey,tbh

Tre is a serviceable (low end starter, quality backup) NBA point guard. Sochan has good playmaking skills, but does not know how to play PG.

It can be worse than Tre, a lot worse, and it will come at the expense of the development of everyone else on the team.

I'm all for letting Sochan toy with the lead ballhandler/facilitator role for 5-10 minutes per game - but let's not spend key developmental time trying to force someone who isn't a PG into the PG position. We need that position to be serviceable so it doesn't hinder the development of everyone else (including Wemby).

south side spur
07-10-2023, 03:33 PM
All y’all Wesley haters are really going to act like he isn’t slightly ahead of Murray’s development in year 2? What a joke. How soon we forget how awful Murray was in 2017 Summer League. Get a grip gentlemen.

I wasn’t going to dig for those 2017 Summer League threads but apparently Murray was Tony Romo he could play like garbage and all was forgiven. Murray advocates were so quick to make excuses and let everyone know there was nothing to see here. I did find Murray’s stats before they mercifully threw in the towel to avoid further humiliation.

Wesley is Murray all over again just have patience.

In other Husky news, Dejounte Murray didn’t shoot it well but did average 5.5 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 1.5 steals to compliment his 6.0 points per contest in four games with the summer Spurs.

Heading into Summer League, expectations were high that Murray would step onto the court against marginal NBA talent and dominate.

That didn’t happen. Murray struggled to make shots from the field, set up his guys for scores, finish around the basket — you name it.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-10-2023, 03:33 PM
Pop will have some fun lineups this year I'm sure. Tre made great strides last year, maybe he'll continue to add to his game.

But I agree that a good point guard makes a huge difference to a team. Depth at that position wouldn't be a bad thing.

lefty20
07-10-2023, 03:39 PM
Tre is only 23. Dude improved a lot from his 2nd to 3rd year. I'm expecting to see another jump now that he's in his 4th year.

If he doesn't. Then the Spurs have the resources to get someone via a trade or just draft one with a possible lotto pick next year.

RC_Drunkford
07-10-2023, 04:00 PM
All y’all Wesley haters are really going to act like he isn’t slightly ahead of Murray’s development in year 2? What a joke. How soon we forget how awful Murray was in 2017 Summer League. Get a grip gentlemen.

I wasn’t going to dig for those 2017 Summer League threads but apparently Murray was Tony Romo he could play like garbage and all was forgiven. Murray advocates were so quick to make excuses and let everyone know there was nothing to see here. I did find Murray’s stats before they mercifully threw in the towel to avoid further humiliation.

that's the trajectory I'd compare him to as well. Meaning you'll really see what he can do by year 5 basically.

sfernald
07-10-2023, 04:02 PM
Seconded.

Sorry I was at the ER with my dad. Here's Sham's quote. You have to read between the lines to assume that Spurs are one of the teams offering one first round pick. I think I read someone else connect spurs as likely one of the teams:

"I don't know if it will get to four. Miami has two they can trade outright. I think there are multiple teams who would trade at least one first round pick for Tyler Herro. So then you're maybe looking at expiring contracts, potentially three first round picks, maybe more. Maybe other assets, swaps."

JPB
07-10-2023, 04:04 PM
All y’all Wesley haters are really going to act like he isn’t slightly ahead of Murray’s development in year 2? What a joke. How soon we forget how awful Murray was in 2017 Summer League. Get a grip gentleman.

He's not and they're different players. Murray's potential was always higher to start with due to his long arms and defensive instincts. you could see the PG skills and potential as a creator and passer. It was a question of develpoing or not his handles and offensive game, then learning the ropes as a PG, which he did. But you could see a potential NBA player who actually spent a lot of time in a team filled with HOfers..

Wesley doesn't really look like an NBA player now and there's nothing in his game that lets suggest he could be a valuable one. it's not like Murray suddenly discovered himself all the talent and skills he has now, he didn't go form scrub to all star. There was something there. You don't really see anything that stands out in Wesley whose defense is suspect, who is not a pure shooter and lacks PG instincts/skills. He's just a PG in name, cos he doesn't look like one on the court.

He couldn't even really crack a tanking team with an average starting PG and filled with reclamation projects. And the simple fact we wonder if he should spend another year in Austin says it all. Spurs quickly saw something in Murray, I'm not sure they have seen anything in Wesley after one year+.

ChumpDumper
07-10-2023, 04:07 PM
Between the French playoffs and summer league, few of us have even seen Wemby play with a point guard at all. Might as well see what Tre and Graham can do with him.

TD 21
07-10-2023, 04:09 PM
Wait for a solid point guard to be available for a reasonable price?
All of you people who want a point guard just keep talking about it and yet noone ever mentions any realistic solutions.

Shams: Spurs Trade for Reggie Bullock and Unprotected 2030 First Round Pick Swap (spurstalk.com) (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302232&p=10923865#post10923865)

Report: Damian Lillard Requests Trade, Spurs on List of Preferred Teams - Page 12 (spurstalk.com) (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302211&page=12&p=10922138#post10922138)

2023 NBA Free Agency Thread - June 30 @ 5 pm CDT - Page 63 (spurstalk.com) (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302199&page=63&p=10921508#post10921508)

Ranked: The 50 Free Agents Most Likely to Sign with the Spurs - Page 2 (spurstalk.com) (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302196&page=2&p=10918560#post10918560)

south side spur
07-10-2023, 04:16 PM
Murray 6’10” wingspan. Wesley 6’9” wingspan. That’s a wash. Defensive instincts? Murray was always more playing the passing lanes and gambling for steals than he was a fundamental defensive player. Murray routinely got abused by SGA and similar guards. Wesley is not a pure shooter and doesn’t have point guard instincts and skills but Murray in year 2 did? Those were the exact same criticisms of Murray.

TheChillFactor
07-10-2023, 04:18 PM
derrick white would be the perfect point guard for this team

tonight...you
07-10-2023, 04:27 PM
Sorry I was at the ER with my dad. Here's Sham's quote. You have to read between the lines to assume that Spurs are one of the teams offering one first round pick. I think I read someone else connect spurs as likely one of the teams:

"I don't know if it will get to four. Miami has two they can trade outright. I think there are multiple teams who would trade at least one first round pick for Tyler Herro. So then you're maybe looking at expiring contracts, potentially three first round picks, maybe more. Maybe other assets, swaps."
Hope everybody is okay buddy.

LeBowen
07-10-2023, 04:36 PM
Shams: Spurs Trade for Reggie Bullock and Unprotected 2030 First Round Pick Swap (spurstalk.com) (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302232&p=10923865#post10923865)

Report: Damian Lillard Requests Trade, Spurs on List of Preferred Teams - Page 12 (spurstalk.com) (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302211&page=12&p=10922138#post10922138)

2023 NBA Free Agency Thread - June 30 @ 5 pm CDT - Page 63 (spurstalk.com) (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302199&page=63&p=10921508#post10921508)

Ranked: The 50 Free Agents Most Likely to Sign with the Spurs - Page 2 (spurstalk.com) (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302196&page=2&p=10918560#post10918560)

Maxey most definitely isn't a traditional point guard and can't run an offense.

Quickley would be nice, I like him as a player, but he isn't a traditional PG, either.

And I said realistic targets. Most NBA fans have this issue of jot being able to look at the trade from both sides.
Maxey would cost way too much in both assets and upcoming extension. If they even want to trade him.

Quickley also isn't on the market unless it's an overpay.

Obstructed_View
07-10-2023, 04:46 PM
Tre is a serviceable (low end starter, quality backup) NBA point guard. Sochan has good playmaking skills, but does not know how to play PG.

It can be worse than Tre, a lot worse, and it will come at the expense of the development of everyone else on the team.

I'm all for letting Sochan toy with the lead ballhandler/facilitator role for 5-10 minutes per game - but let's not spend key developmental time trying to force someone who isn't a PG into the PG position. We need that position to be serviceable so it doesn't hinder the development of everyone else (including Wemby).

The Spurs have been trying to force Wesley into the point position, and they invested the same wasted effort on Josh Primo. Sochan is currently the best point guard on the roster.

Mugen
07-10-2023, 04:57 PM
Not a traditional PG but I'd sniff around Lavine during the deadline and next offseason tbh. I think with Sochans passing and Wemby hopefully getting more comfortable as a facilitator, the need for a true PG becomes less and less. You need a guy that can initiate the offense that teams will have to respect while getting Wemby a ton of easy looks a la Jamal Murray.

Spurs easily have the pieces to get something like that done with Keldon, salary cap relief and a few firsts. And if it doesn't work, you can cut bait without losing too much just in time for Sochan and Wemby's extensions.

Lavine/Vassell/Sochan/Wemby/Zollins

TD 21
07-10-2023, 05:04 PM
Of the definitely available group, I don't see any point in Dosunmu (restricted and combo), Hayes, Mann (combo; more SG) or Fultz and not much of a point in Brogdon (combo), Anthony and Wright (combo; more PG).

Which is why I always come back to . . .

Maxey most definitely isn't a traditional point guard and can't run an offense.

Quickley would be nice, I like him as a player, but he isn't a traditional PG, either.

And I said realistic targets. Most NBA fans have this issue of jot being able to look at the trade from both sides.
Maxey would cost way too much in both assets and upcoming extension. If they even want to trade him.

Quickley also isn't on the market unless it's an overpay.

I realize they're both combo (closer to just plain undersized SG's offensively) guards, but they're best suited to defending PG's and on this team would immediately become the primary initiators.

I admitted Maxey is an extreme longshot. Quickley, while not "on the market", is clearly attainable. Even if the Knicks aren't initially interested, all they have to do is send a message to his agent that they're prepared to exceed the 4/$80M next off season that the Knicks are apparently comfortable with.

BacktoBasics
07-10-2023, 05:07 PM
The Spurs have been trying to force Wesley into the point position, and they invested the same wasted effort on Josh Primo. Sochan is currently the best point guard on the roster.

There’s plenty of times I’ll agree with your takes but no. Sochan is a great change of pace and can create fun mismatches for small spurts in games but he’s not the best “point guard” on the team. Tre is a great back up pg and sufficient temporary starter and easily the best pg on the team.

baseline bum
07-10-2023, 05:15 PM

He's fucking 33 and the team would need to mortgage their future to get him. And he doesn't want to be here. No thanks.

rankingtear
07-10-2023, 05:18 PM
agreed. Which is why I think we need to bring in a good point guard this year. They should’ve sacrificed those picks to bring in Anthony Black.

ORL asks for 7 first would you do it?

baseline bum
07-10-2023, 05:36 PM
not sure if we are disagreeing -

im just saying - wait -

wait to see if this kid is truly a generational talent and if he is he might not need 3 seasons to mature and get better -

oh he will get better by year three - barring injuries - but he might not suck the first 2 seasons

Was LeBron not a generational talent? Still took him three years to make the playoffs.

Dejounte
07-10-2023, 05:38 PM
Murray 6’10” wingspan. Wesley 6’9” wingspan. That’s a wash. Defensive instincts? Murray was always more playing the passing lanes and gambling for steals than he was a fundamental defensive player. Murray routinely got abused by SGA and similar guards. Wesley is not a pure shooter and doesn’t have point guard instincts and skills but Murray in year 2 did? Those were the exact same criticisms of Murray.

Exactly this lol. I followed Murray closely obviously and Spurstalk’s discussions around him year after year. There’s revisionist history going on here…

RC_Drunkford
07-10-2023, 05:41 PM
there are only 2 options: Garland and Doncic

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-10-2023, 05:41 PM
Exactly this lol. I followed Murray closely obviously and Spurstalk’s discussions around him year after year. There’s revisionist history going on here…

Yeah, Murray was cringe-worthy running the point those first couple of years. I think even he has revisionist history when he retells his early career. He didn't deserve to start over Tony early on...not even close.

RC_Drunkford
07-10-2023, 05:43 PM

the majority of the posters here said Murray wasn't a PG up to his 4th NBA season. There were multiple threads about it made. Until DJ got in the gym playing 5 on 5 working on his passing skills and working out with Poeltl to hit him at the right time when he rolls and became an All-Star, about 60% of the board was hating on him

mo7888
07-10-2023, 06:16 PM
The situation between Murray and Wesley is very different though. Murray had TP in front of him those early years and Wesley doesn't have that benefit. I just wish we had a veteran for he and Tre to work with.

Dejounte
07-10-2023, 06:20 PM
The situation between Murray and Wesley is very different though. Murray had TP in front of him those early years and Wesley doesn't have that benefit. I just wish we had a veteran for he and Tre to work with.

The same TP that Murray went on an interview to cry about him not even being there for him his entire time he was on the team? IIRC, he was basically saying TP ghosted him and wanted to have nothing to do with him.

sfernald
07-10-2023, 06:24 PM
Hope everybody is okay buddy.

Thanks but naw not doing well. My mom passed away two months ago and my dad has been fading fast ever since. I don't think he will be around much longer.

tonight...you
07-10-2023, 06:26 PM
Thanks but naw not doing well. My mom passed away two months ago and my dad has been fading fast ever since. I don't think he will be around much longer.
Sending good vibes brother. Terrible situation.
Much love.

mo7888
07-10-2023, 06:32 PM
The same TP that Murray went on an interview to cry about him not even being there for him his entire time he was on the team? IIRC, he was basically saying TP ghosted him and wanted to have nothing to do with him.

And that could be true, but even if it is it provided time for Murray to watch, learn, and mature before he was put in a position of real responsibility. We don't have that and I don't see many avenues to acquire it.

Mr. Body
07-10-2023, 06:40 PM
This team will be fine. Tre is a good starting PG. He does what you need, moving the ball, attacking when he needs to, and can defend. The Spurs have a non-helio offense where the ball moves around because of drives and reads and other actions. Getting Wembanyama the ball won't be a huge issue, and we have a number of bigs who are good passers.

Wesley and Branham will be fine. There were a couple of plays last night where Blake clearly saw Victor moving toward the basket but didn't deliver the ball, I'd say because he didn't trust himself. Those are passes that they'll get comfortable delivering.

Dejounte
07-10-2023, 06:42 PM
And that could be true, but even if it is it provided time for Murray to watch, learn, and mature before he was put in a position of real responsibility. We don't have that and I don't see many avenues to acquire it.

IMO, i think it’s all hands on deck this time around as far as the big 3 being around the team teaching the kids how to play. I’d argue that Manu is way more involved with that now than he has ever been in the past. The Spurs are planning something with Manu, and I can’t put my finger on it tbh

Spurs Homer
07-10-2023, 06:44 PM
He's fucking 33 and the team would need to mortgage their future to get him. And he doesn't want to be here. No thanks.

So what?

You take the chance - and the Spurs are not mortgaging their future -

you try to do everything - EVERY YEAR that wemby is a spur -there are no guarantees that in 2-3-4 years everything will fall perfectly on your timeline/schedule

Lillard is still an elite point guard and scorer.
The spurs are in a position to acquire him.
Lillard is looking for a place to win his title - there is no better place.
Wemby could learn from lillard and lillard would benefit also.

This attitude that wemby is like all other players and even lebron this and lebron that
fuck that

this is not lebron and he might win earlier than anyone else.

Unless you put him in a box and assume you know which way he will progress and how many years in YOUR MIND - he will need to be ready

gtfo

mo7888
07-10-2023, 06:46 PM
IMO, i think it’s all hands on deck this time around as far as the big 3 being around the team teaching the kids how to play. I’d argue that Manu is way more involved with that now than he has ever been in the past. The Spurs are planning something with Manu, and I can’t put my finger on it tbh

The Manu thing is interesting....it could be very impactful... I'm very interested to see where that goes..

Extra Stout
07-10-2023, 06:49 PM
So what?

you try to do everything - EVERY YEAR that wemby is a spur -there are no guarantees that in 2-3-4 years everything will fall perfectly on your timeline/schedule

This attitude that wemby is like all other players and even lebron this and lebron that
fuck that

Unless you put him in a box and assume you know which way he will progress and how many years in YOUR MIND - he will need to be ready

gtfo
Lillard is good, but is he Austin Reaves good?

Spurs Homer
07-10-2023, 06:53 PM
Lillard is good, but is he Austin Reaves good?

Irrelevant - reaves already re-upped with the lakers

Obstructed_View
07-10-2023, 06:55 PM
There’s plenty of times I’ll agree with your takes but no. Sochan is a great change of pace and can create fun mismatches for small spurts in games but he’s not the best “point guard” on the team. Tre is a great back up pg and sufficient temporary starter and easily the best pg on the team.

I stand by my statement. 99 percent of ST thinks Tre isn't capable of starting. Jeremy does a bunch of things Tre can't do and his pairing with Victor is going to be special.

objective
07-10-2023, 06:56 PM
A Lillard-Wemby pick and roll might be the most damaging play in basketball. Someone somewhere is going to have a wide open shot.

Tre Jones-Wemby doesn't exactly have the same kind of impact. No one cares if Jones wants to shoot a three.

cutewizard
07-10-2023, 06:58 PM
Maybe Manu is being groomed as the next Head Coach, coz otherwise why is Bud not here yet, hehehe

cutewizard
07-10-2023, 06:59 PM
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK2Rkd9jShw

baseline bum
07-10-2023, 07:03 PM
So what?

fuck that

gtfo

Four firsts and one of Keldon / Vassell / Sochan is the price. That's mortgaging your fucking future for a guy way on the wrong side of 30. Stupid trades like that will ensure Wemby walks after 6-7 years when he has to be a one man team.

cutewizard
07-10-2023, 07:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK2Rkd9jShw

cutewizard
07-10-2023, 07:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL9MbS-efCI

jesterbobman
07-10-2023, 07:10 PM
Is Lilliard - Bullock - Johnson - Wemby - Collins (with Tre / Sochan / Wesley / Doug / Cedi) a good enough lineup to win a title? I think that's a no other than a small % chance that things could go perfectly, and getting Lillard with Vassell and like 4 picks going out would lose options in the future that could get us to genuine contender status for a decade plus.

At some point, I'm sure the Spurs, will get into asset acquisition mode and use picks to upgrade, but I don't think there's much point in going all in to build a short term team that will be close to capped out and has limited assets to get better.

DAF86
07-10-2023, 07:14 PM
The Spurs should have just been more agressive trying to trade up for one of the many PG projects in this past draft. Most of them playing up to expectations in Summer League: Scoot, Amen, Black, Wallace, Bufkin, Hood-Schifino, George or just get one with 33 (Kolby Jones, Amari Bailey), or even 44 (Terquavion Smith).

Mr. Body
07-10-2023, 07:21 PM
The Spurs should have just been more agressive trying to trade up for one of the many PG projects in this past draft. Most of them playing up to expectations in Summer League: Scoot, Amen, Black, Wallace, Bufkin, Hood-Schifino, George or just get one with 33 (Kolby Jones, Amari Bailey), or even 44 (Terquavion Smith).

How?

rascal
07-10-2023, 07:36 PM

The best way is a soft tank and get into the top 7 on draft day and draft one next year. There are three or four very good options next year.

DAF86
07-10-2023, 07:37 PM
How?

The Hornets pick and some 2nds. Heck, if there was someone the Spurs really liked, I would have even offered Keldon.

But if you didn't want to trade up there were still very good prospects at 33 in Colby Jones or Amari Bailey. I will never understand giving up what was basically a late first rounder for 2 late second rounders, tbh.

BacktoBasics
07-10-2023, 07:40 PM
The Hornets pick and some 2nds. Heck, if there was someone the Spurs really liked, I would have even offered Keldon.

But if you didn't want to trade up there were still very good prospects at 33 in Colby Jones or Amari Bailey. I will never understand giving up what was basically a late first rounder for 2 late second rounders, tbh.Subtracting Keldons offensive this early in Wembys career is a bad idea. None of those pgs are going to come in and replace that much offense and it’s too much for Wemby to shoulder.

Mr. Body
07-10-2023, 07:46 PM

Terquavion Smith - not a pg, undersize volume shooter

Colby Jones - we'll see
Amari Bailey - we'll see

Scoot & Amen - were completely out of range

Cason Wallace - required a late lottery or near-lottery pick to move up to acquire, which we didn't have

Kobe Bufkin - apparently not attainable before/when Atlanta picked him

Hood-Schifino - probably the same story here

Anthony Black - completely out of range

Keyonte George - not really a point guard

In short: Scoot, Amen, Black were always out of range. Wallace required something the Spurs didnt have. Bufkin and JHS were in a range where I don't see any of those teams interested in moving out.

Beyond that point, we're looking at players where the cost/benefit does not push them past the known quantity of Tre Jones, who the team values more than this message board does. I don't understand the movement at 33, but that's not a big deal. We'll see if Amari Bailey was a miss, but I don't think so. Colby Jones might have been a miss, we'll see.

scott
07-10-2023, 07:52 PM
Spurs don't need another PG who needs to figure out how to be a quality NBA player. We already have that in Blake Wesley. For 2023-24, we only need a PG who can be about as good as Tre Jones. Anything better is gravy. Just need someone who isn't hindering the development of all the other youngs by his ineptitude (which would be Wesley if he was the starting or backup PG). Where we get this guy, IDK. We may even already have him in Devonte.

CGD
07-10-2023, 07:52 PM
Better start doing research on whether this is a good pg draft coming up or not. That’s what the 2024 picks are for.

Mr. Body
07-10-2023, 07:56 PM
Spurs don't need another PG who needs to figure out how to be a quality NBA player. We already have that in Blake Wesley. For 2023-24, we only need a PG who can be about as good as Tre Jones. Anything better is gravy. Just need someone who isn't hindering the development of all the other youngs by his ineptitude (which would be Wesley if he was the starting or backup PG). Where we get this guy, IDK. We may even already have him in Devonte.

I think you're saying the player we need to be Tre Jones is Tre Jones.

For me, aside from the fact the team values Jones, is that we need to account for the resource costs of marginal improvements over our current PG core (Jones, Graham, Wesley) and that the chance for a simple marginal improvement is not worth it at this time.

mo7888
07-10-2023, 07:59 PM
The best way is a soft tank and get into the top 7 on draft day and draft one next year. There are three or four very good options next year.

I disagree... They should focus on winning and reestablishing a winning mindset... if they see someone in the top 7 they really want they have the assets to move up and get him.

rascal
07-10-2023, 08:00 PM
I disagree... They should focus on winning and reestablishing a winning mindset... if they see someone in the top 7 they really want they have the assets to move up and get him.

Move up?

Not that again.
You saw how that worked this year.

Russ
07-10-2023, 08:01 PM
Terquavion Smith - not a pg, undersize volume shooter . . .

Beyond that point, we're looking at players where the cost/benefit does not push them past the known quantity of Tre Jones, who the team values more than this message board does. I don't understand the movement at 33, but that's not a big deal. We'll see if Amari Bailey was a miss, but I don't think so. Colby Jones might have been a miss, we'll see.

Won't get into this too much, but simply in the interest of fair and accurate reporting . . .

Terquavion Smith is not all that undersized, he's three inches taller than the guy you mentioned, Tre Jones (6'4" vs. 6'1"). He's also a very good shooter (another distinction for purposes of this comparison). He's also a way better passer.

Just sayin.

Mr. Body
07-10-2023, 08:02 PM
Move up?

Not that again.

OKC moved up to 10 because they were already in the range.

Spurs couldn't move up, because they weren't. The Spurs, if you missed it, had the number 1 pick instead.

Mr. Body
07-10-2023, 08:02 PM
Won't get into this too much, but simply in the interest of fair and accurate reporting . . .

Terquavion Smith is not all that undersized, he's three inches taller than Tre Jones (6'1" vs. 6'4"). He's also a very good shooter (another distinction for purposes of this comparison). He's also a way better passer.

Just sayin.

Just totally disagree about Terquavion. He's an inefficient chucker and not the passer you think he is. But I get that you're a fan.

mo7888
07-10-2023, 08:04 PM
Move up?

Not that again.

They either didn't really or didn't see anything they thought were worth the price because they had the assets to do it if they wanted.

Russ
07-10-2023, 08:06 PM
Just totally disagree about Terquavion. He's an inefficient chucker and not the passer you think he is. But I get that you're a fan.

Yes, I'm afraid we're all fans, right? :)

scott
07-10-2023, 08:08 PM
I think you're saying the player we need to be Tre Jones is Tre Jones.

For me, aside from the fact the team values Jones, is that we need to account for the resource costs of marginal improvements over our current PG core (Jones, Graham, Wesley) and that the chance for a simple marginal improvement is not worth it at this time.

I was more referring to the minutes where Tre is on the bench, because he can't play them all. I think Monte Morris would have been good, but Devonte Graham may be plenty good enough as well. The Spurs aren't competing this year so don't need an all star point guard right now, but they also don't need someone like rookie DJM futzing with the development of everyone else while he learns how to play basketball for 20 minutes a game.

Mr. Body
07-10-2023, 08:18 PM
I was more referring to the minutes where Tre is on the bench, because he can't play them all. I think Monte Morris would have been good, but Devonte Graham may be plenty good enough as well. The Spurs aren't competing this year so don't need an all star point guard right now, but they also don't need someone like rookie DJM futzing with the development of everyone else while he learns how to play basketball for 20 minutes a game.

Okay. My point, then, is that there's no reason to get Monte Morris. What good does that do? You're not raising the position in any substantive way and using resources to get him. Graham is fine. The Spurs should move only if they can substantively upgrade. We have too many players as it is.

TrainOfThought5
07-10-2023, 08:20 PM
ORL asks for 7 first would you do it?

I’d do it for 5.

TrainOfThought5
07-10-2023, 08:23 PM
Who?

what do you mean who?! We refused to trade up for one out the four possible choices in the draft.

Kurik
07-10-2023, 08:31 PM
Better start doing research on whether this is a good pg draft coming up or not. That’s what the 2024 picks are for.

The way too early consensus seems to be Isaiah Collier at USC is the top PG prospect for now, supposed to have great passing skills especially in the half court and lobs. Bigger frame than Tre and should be a better finisher but it’s too early to know for sure. Will be interesting see how he plays next to Bronny James.

KobesAchilles
07-10-2023, 08:36 PM
This team will be fine. Tre is a good starting PG. He does what you need, moving the ball, attacking when he needs to, and can defend. The Spurs have a non-helio offense where the ball moves around because of drives and reads and other actions. Getting Wembanyama the ball won't be a huge issue, and we have a number of bigs who are good passers.

Wesley and Branham will be fine. There were a couple of plays last night where Blake clearly saw Victor moving toward the basket but didn't deliver the ball, I'd say because he didn't trust himself. Those are passes that they'll get comfortable delivering.
There’s literally nothing about Tre Jones that is a good PG. He is bottom 5 in the league as a starter. That’s just a fact.

Proxy
07-10-2023, 09:02 PM
lets just run it back with Wemby added and Pop not tanking and go from there

Mr. Body
07-10-2023, 09:04 PM
There’s literally nothing about Tre Jones that is a good PG. He is bottom 5 in the league as a starter. That’s just a fact.

I really hope you pick up the phone and let the front office know.

rankingtear
07-10-2023, 09:09 PM
I’d do it for 5.

5 won't get it done. Nobody has traded into top 6 with just future picks. Trade a young All star or ridiculous amounts of picks nobody can refuse. 7-8 is getting into wtf territory for mid lottery that should get it done even then teams just fall in love with prospects and would rather pick their guy, the package your offering would just affirm their evaluation of players in that range. Take note that UTA with 6 extra unprotected and a pick close to that range also tried to get Black.

Spurs Homer
07-10-2023, 09:22 PM
Four firsts and one of Keldon / Vassell / Sochan is the price. That's mortgaging your fucking future for a guy way on the wrong side of 30. Stupid trades like that will ensure Wemby walks after 6-7 years when he has to be a one man team.

Hopefully, spurs at least try - and by try I do NOT mean give up 4 frp's and one of those players -

but 2 frp and some 2nd rps and keldon or vassell (one only)- that might do it since miami cannot top that...

scott
07-10-2023, 09:24 PM
Okay. My point, then, is that there's no reason to get Monte Morris. What good does that do? You're not raising the position in any substantive way and using resources to get him. Graham is fine. The Spurs should move only if they can substantively upgrade. We have too many players as it is.

The crux is on whether Graham is good enough. If he is, I agree. If he's not, then you get a Monte Morris.

Definitely more on board with Graham soaking up all of those backup minutes as opposed to some developmental 33rd pick. We talked a lot about about trading up for a PG, but the more I think about it (and see Blake in action) the more I think that would have only be smart if for one of the top 4 PGs (Scoot, Amen, Black, Bufkin).

Mr. Body
07-10-2023, 09:27 PM
what do you mean who?! We refused to trade up for one out the four possible choices in the draft.

Yes, we 'refused'. :lol

Kurik
07-10-2023, 09:28 PM
I think he’ll be fine in his career after some time but Anthony Black is having a horrible game today, currently a -21 versus the Pacers.

Mr. Body
07-10-2023, 09:31 PM
The crux is on whether Graham is good enough. If he is, I agree. If he's not, then you get a Monte Morris.

Definitely more on board with Graham soaking up all of those backup minutes as opposed to some developmental 33rd pick. We talked a lot about about trading up for a PG, but the more I think about it (and see Blake in action) the more I think that would have only be smart if for one of the top 4 PGs (Scoot, Amen, Black, Bufkin).

You're still missing the point. In order to get Morris, you have to use a pick and take on his salary. Tack-on costs include not knowing whether he's a cultural fit and that you'd then have to do something with Graham. (Morris is also a bad defender.) I think Morris is on an expiring, so at least you don't have to work to get rid of him after this year. But overall it just doesn't make sense. You're making a marginal, at-most lateral move when Morris isn't better than Graham enough to do it.

But I agree about the top PGs.

baseline bum
07-10-2023, 09:32 PM
Hopefully, spurs at least try - and by try I do NOT mean give up 4 frp's and one of those players -

but 2 frp and some 2nd rps and keldon or vassell (one only)- that might do it since miami cannot top that...

I'd love Lillard if they were just giving him away like that. Don't see it though.

KobesAchilles
07-10-2023, 09:36 PM
I really hope you pick up the phone and let the front office know.
I did.

BackHome
07-10-2023, 09:51 PM
2024 has a couple of good PG and also SF so with any luck we can get our man either with our pick or with Raptors pick - This team is still not built to make long run in the Playoffs there are other positions we need to upgrade. A lot of peoples pet cats are going to get traded in the very near future as some of these draft picks are going to allow us to bring in better talent

TeKu
07-10-2023, 09:52 PM
So what?

gtfo

It's that thinking that ends up with debacles like Westbrook to the Lakers, Gobert to the Wolves, Durant to the Suns etc... it's never been the Spur MO.

It'll be much more like the Nuggets timeline. Homegrown stars (Murray, Joker), supplemented by well timed targeted trades for the best support around those stars (KCP, Gordon) once they know what is needed by seeing the 'stars' develop.

And point guard will be one of those support positions with a solid 'add a little/take nothing away' team player. Tre Jones is pretty much that already, with a track record of improvement. I'm keen to see how he develops further this season.

scott
07-10-2023, 10:05 PM
You're still missing the point. In order to get Morris, you have to use a pick and take on his salary. Tack-on costs include not knowing whether he's a cultural fit and that you'd then have to do something with Graham. (Morris is also a bad defender.) I think Morris is on an expiring, so at least you don't have to work to get rid of him after this year. But overall it just doesn't make sense. You're making a marginal, at-most lateral move when Morris isn't better than Graham enough to do it.

But I agree about the top PGs.

A second round pick and the incremental salary are non-factors, because neither are scarce around here, so there is no point missed, not one that matters to anyone with a functioning brain anyway. Everything else, you're basically just repeating what I already said (verbatim: "but Devonte Graham may be plenty good enough as well")... so... thanks? Is arguing just your default nature and something you do just for the sake of it?

spurraider21
07-10-2023, 10:05 PM
5 won't get it done. Nobody has traded into top 6 with just future picks. Trade a young All star or ridiculous amounts of picks nobody can refuse. 7-8 is getting into wtf territory for mid lottery that should get it done even then teams just fall in love with prospects and would rather pick their guy, the package your offering would just affirm their evaluation of players in that range. Take note that UTA with 6 extra unprotected and a pick close to that range also tried to get Black.
:lol nobody is getting 5 firsts for the #6 overall picks unless they’re all protected

RC_Drunkford
07-10-2023, 10:54 PM
Vassell is untouchable. Windhorst said today the Spurs love Vassell and that he‘s Most likely the 2nd untouchable Player on the team

spurraider21
07-10-2023, 11:11 PM
As well he should be. Untouchable is strong but I’d move anybody else over him including sochan

Allan Rowe vs Wade
07-10-2023, 11:28 PM
oh lawd rookie contract dejounte trying to make a layup in transition ...

Ariel
07-10-2023, 11:34 PM
The justification Dejounte Murray gave for claiming that was pathetic, from "he should have stayed to mentor me" to "I should have been the starter and they were playing mind games with me" (I'm paraphrasing but those were almost literal). When you're that deluded you're going to interpret anything however you please no matter the facts, but it doesn't have to be that way for someone else.

Mr. Body
07-10-2023, 11:43 PM
A second round pick and the incremental salary are non-factors, because neither are scarce around here, so there is no point missed, not one that matters to anyone with a functioning brain anyway. Everything else, you're basically just repeating what I already said (verbatim: "but Devonte Graham may be plenty good enough as well")... so... thanks? Is arguing just your default nature and something you do just for the sake of it?

Cool, so you wasted resources on a player the team already has in essence and one who is worse in defense. Why did you make that move? Now you have to figure out what to do with Graham.

R. DeMurre
07-11-2023, 01:23 AM
I'n not overly concerned about the PG position, at least not yet. The Spurs can solidify it at some point in the next few years, but I wouldn't be obsessed with the idea of finding some uber athletic traditional 6'2" PG who puts up gaudy numbers, because those types tend to 1. be extremely expensive, and 2. not win championships. The John Wall, Russell Westbrook, De'Aaron Fox, Trae Young types are exciting to watch but also tend to cause issues with team building. Chris Paul, Steve Nash, and John Stockton are arguably three of the greatest point guards ever and have zero rings in many tries. For me the target should be a guy who's 6'4", plays defense, and is a steady reliable character-- Jrue Holiday, Derrick White types. The inexpensive option I like right now is Delon Wright, who's got great size, and is one of the most underrated defenders in the league. My main goal, big picture, would be to find Wemby his Scottie Pippen, Kawhi Leonard, or Jimmy Butler... not his Damian Lillard.

rankingtear
07-11-2023, 01:57 AM
:lol nobody is getting 5 firsts for the #6 overall picks unless they’re all protected

Either way it has never been done before because of reasons from either side. Some posters still think this was possible that the FO just wasn't trying enough.

EricB
07-11-2023, 02:06 AM

the price to move up was 4 firsts, including the hawks picks.

you’re nuts if you think that’s smart to do.

spurraider21
07-11-2023, 06:14 AM

Link?

Spurs Homer
07-11-2023, 08:15 AM
I'd love Lillard if they were just giving him away like that. Don't see it though.

Exactly. Spurs are in a position to find a way to get him creatively -

just remember when the spurs were put in the same - no in a WORSE - position by kawhitter -

he not only said - "i only want to go here" - he also TANKED his own value by playing cutesy with his injury and rehab -

all of us fans here were DREAMING we could get this star or that star or all those FRP's, etc
we got SOMETHING back and spurs front office came away with something much LESS than what kawhi's perceived value was -

so spurs mgmt should KNOW EXACTLY what portland front office is going thru and all their talk and strong demands will fall by the wayside when the spurs find a creative solution and the spurs are stacked with young players who are possible rotation players and picks of all kinds

this is malpractice if they do NOT try and fleece portland

baseline bum
07-11-2023, 10:16 AM

just remember when the spurs were put in the same - no in a WORSE - position by kawhitter -

he not only said - "i only want to go here" - he also TANKED his own value by playing cutesy with his injury and rehab -

all of us fans here were DREAMING we could get this star or that star or all those FRP's, etc
we got SOMETHING back and spurs front office came away with something much LESS than what kawhi's perceived value was -

so spurs mgmt should KNOW EXACTLY what portland front office is going thru and all their talk and strong demands will fall by the wayside when the spurs find a creative solution and the spurs are stacked with young players who are possible rotation players and picks of all kinds

I think Lillard probably isn't a faggot who'd sit games out like Kawhi Leonard or Ben Simmons. He's more Durant, a guy who loves playing the game. I think Portland's just going to tell him live up to your contract until we find an acceptable deal like Brooklyn did when Durant tried to force a trade. But I have always been in favor of trading for him if it's a steal like two firsts + Keldon and change.

rascal
07-11-2023, 10:19 AM

Portland would rather keep Dame than be fleeced.

That's why they didn't trade Scoot, they didn't want to get fleeced and set the asking price high.

exstatic
07-11-2023, 10:30 AM

That's why they didn't trade Scoot, they didn't want to get fleeced and set the asking price high.

Or, if they feel they can't get their price, they'll just send him to Miami.

Anyone thinking this is a Kawhi situation is fantasizing. Dame is NOT free to walk away next summer.

baseline bum
07-11-2023, 10:31 AM

Yeah Lillard doesn't have much leverage unless he's willing to hold out.

BacktoBasics
07-11-2023, 10:32 AM

I'm a huge fan of Black and even I wouldn't do that.

rankingtear
07-11-2023, 10:41 AM
MIA can offer 2 unprotected 3 swaps and Herro , Jovic, Jacquez.

Mitch Cumsteen
07-11-2023, 10:53 AM

Hindsight is 20/20, but what seemed at the time to be an absolute disaster of a trade has turned out pretty good for the Spurs. Sure, Toronto got a ring and a few months rental, but Kawhi can't stay healthy and the Clippers are in salary cap hell. The Spurs would have ended up in purgatory if they kept him. Flipping Derozan and subsequently Thad Young, and then Poeltl has left the Spurs with the following current assets from that trade:

Keldon Johnson
Malaki Branham
2024 Lakers SRP
2025 Chicago FRP 1-10 protected in 2025, 1-8 protected in 2026, and 1-8 protected in 2027
2025 Chicago SRP
Khem Birch
Cidy Cissoko
2024 Toronto FRP (1-6 protected 2024, 2025 and 2026)
2025 Toronto SRP

Credit the front office for making chicken salad out of chicken shit, but that's way more than Portland is getting for Lillard.

CorrectCrusader
07-11-2023, 10:55 AM

We traded an Allstar Dejounte Murray for 3 firsts and a swap and people think it's good value to trade 4 firsts for a rookie, not even top 4 pick

spurraider21
07-11-2023, 11:29 AM
do we even know if portland likes jacquez at all? if miami was serious about trading for lillard, they basically should have asked portland who they should draft at that spot in furtherance of a deal

spurraider21
07-11-2023, 11:29 AM
We traded an Allstar Dejounte Murray for 3 firsts and a swap and people think it's good value to trade 4 firsts for a rookie, not even top 4 pick
do we have a source for the claim that it would have cost 4 first rounders?

Ariel
07-11-2023, 11:33 AM

Source?

Spurs Homer
07-11-2023, 11:43 AM

spurs felt the same way with kawhi- pop even went to san diego to placate the traitor

spurs did NOT get their wish list fulfilled and neither will portland

exstatic
07-11-2023, 11:53 AM
do we even know if portland likes jacquez at all? if miami was serious about trading for lillard, they basically should have asked portland who they should draft at that spot in furtherance of a deal

Lllard hadn’t his trade demand by the draft.

Obstructed_View
07-11-2023, 11:53 AM
spurs felt the same way with kawhi- pop even went to san diego to placate the traitor

spurs did NOT get their wish list fulfilled and neither will portland
Portland isn't in danger of walking away with nothing as the Spurs were. Also, nobody is actively tampering with Dame.

Seventyniner
07-11-2023, 12:06 PM

Jacquez can't be traded for a few more weeks, but given how long this is dragging out that might not be a problem.

I think the Spurs are involved in the negotiations, which is part of why they aren't making any moves. I don't think the Bullock trade has been completed; maybe it's being looped into the Dame trade to make it a 6 team monstrosity (Portland, Miami, San Antonio, Dallas, Boston, whoever gets Herro).

mo7888
07-11-2023, 02:40 PM
Jacquez can't be traded for a few more weeks, but given how long this is dragging out that might not be a problem.

I think the Spurs are involved in the negotiations, which is part of why they aren't making any moves. I don't think the Bullock trade has been completed; maybe it's being looped into the Dame trade to make it a 6 team monstrosity (Portland, Miami, San Antonio, Dallas, Boston, whoever gets Herro).

I kind of think that's likely... I am curious as to what that looks like..

Mr. Body
07-11-2023, 03:07 PM

How do you see the Spurs involved? Either they contribute picks or they take on salary. I don't see how they can take on salary and get picks.

exstatic
07-11-2023, 03:21 PM
How do you see the Spurs involved? Either they contribute picks or they take on salary. I don't see how they can take on salary and get picks.

That's actually a really normal thing.

Mr. Body
07-11-2023, 03:27 PM
That's actually a really normal thing.

No one's getting picks out of this trade scenario but Portland.

exstatic
07-11-2023, 03:35 PM
You think the Spurs are going to take on salary without getting picks? Did you slam your head into a wall or something?

Go reread the part of your post that I bolded. It says nothing about taking on salary without picks and everything about getting picks for salary. Maybe you mistyped it?

RC_Drunkford
07-11-2023, 03:41 PM

:lol yeah right, that never happened before

Mr. Body
07-11-2023, 03:46 PM
Go reread the part of your post that I bolded. It says nothing about taking on salary without picks and everything about getting picks for salary. Maybe you mistyped it?

Because you misunderstood what I said. You're being rather the pedant today, and in this case lead you wrong.

1. Portland wants two good prospects and four first round draft picks.

2. Miami does not have enough. They can perhaps give three first round draft picks, counting Jacquez as a first, and Jovic, although I don't know how much he counts for anything.

3. Another team needs to get involved to offer Portland more. Herro is an option for a third team.

4. The Spurs want picks and can take on salary.

5. Portland wants to dump Nurkic, but he is on a long contract.

6. For this Lillard trade to work, Portland needs more of what it values.

Assessment: If other teams join in, they need to help get Portland its assets. This might include taking on Nurkic in some fashion. I don't see how that's possible, since that would require a third team getting a draft asset or a coveted player who does not exist in this scenario.

Ergo, I don't see the Spurs taking on salary for draft assets, because those assets do not exist here. I don't see how the Dallas/Bullock/Boston trade gets involved with the Lillard trade because it doesn't provide anything required there at all.

Mr. Body
07-11-2023, 03:47 PM
:lol yeah right, that never happened before

Again, you two are being very purposefully obtuse, and it's very annoying. There are no draft picks for the Spurs to acquire in the Heat-Blazers trade.

exstatic
07-11-2023, 03:55 PM

Because you misunderstood what I said. You're being rather the pedant today, and in this case lead you wrong.

1. Portland wants two good prospects and four first round draft picks.

2. Miami does not have enough. They can perhaps give three first round draft picks, counting Jacquez as a first, and Jovic, although I don't know how much he counts for anything.

3. Another team needs to get involved to offer Portland more. Herro is an option for a third team.

4. The Spurs want picks and can take on salary.

5. Portland wants to dump Nurkic, but he is on a long contract.

6. For this Lillard trade to work, Portland needs more of what it values.

Assessment: If other teams join in, they need to help get Portland its assets. This might include taking on Nurkic in some fashion. I don't see how that's possible, since that would require a third team getting a draft asset or a coveted player who does not exist in this scenario.

Ergo, I don't see the Spurs taking on salary for draft assets, because those assets do not exist here. I don't see how the Dallas/Bullock/Boston trade gets involved with the Lillard trade because it doesn't provide anything required there at all.

That's different from the original post that you quoted. We are actually discussing it BEING intertwined, so why you stuck your nose in it, I'm not sure. Multiple people are calling you out, so just take your L.

spurraider21
07-11-2023, 04:23 PM
honestly i wish we could have addressed point guard but unfortunately the only options were to do nothing or to pay vanvleet 3/130 and there was nothing else to be done at all

DAF86
07-11-2023, 04:53 PM
I think he’ll be fine in his career after some time but Anthony Black is having a horrible game today, currently a -21 versus the Pacers.

Not a fan of PGs that can't shoot, tbh. Even if they work on their shot, they only become below average. When we go for a PG, we need to have shooting as a top priority, tbh.

BatManu20
07-11-2023, 04:56 PM
Gonna be PG by committee this season sadly. Tre will have to do most of the heavy lifting. Spurs would be better off sucking again this season tbh. This roster still needs high-end talent, and there’s like 3 PG’s projected to go in the top-10 of next year’s Draft (subject to change obv). Would be nice to get our hands on one of them. Either Isaiah Collier or DJ Wagner would be dope, assuming they live up to the hype.

slick'81
07-11-2023, 04:56 PM
honestly i wish we could have addressed point guard but unfortunately the only options were to do nothing or to pay vanvleet 3/130 and there was nothing else to be done at all

exactly, barring a trade fred VV wasn't the answer

DAF86
07-11-2023, 04:58 PM

I would have loved for the Spurs to trade into the mid teens to get one of Bufkin, George or Hood-Schifino. Imagine how much more hyped we would be with Wemby and one of those PGs prospects balling during Summer League.

I wonder if the Hornets pick, 33 and maybe some other 2nd rounder could have made it work? Heck, I might have even considered giving away Keldon.

playblair
07-11-2023, 04:58 PM
the pg wembanyama needs.........

BatManu20
07-11-2023, 04:59 PM
the pg wembanyama needs.........

I posted about him in the Draft thread like 3 weeks before the draft. Said how perfect he’d be for us if he were half a foot taller. But he’s not. He’s 5’8 and would get destroyed defensively at the NBA level. Doubt he even makes a roster tbh. If he somehow does, he’ll never play.

scott
07-11-2023, 07:17 PM
Again, you two are being very purposefully obtuse, and it's very annoying.

Bruh, you ever read any of your own posts?

DAF86
07-12-2023, 11:09 AM
gHVlD178J9c

This guy was picked at 27. With as many assets as the Spurs had, I really think the Spurs not getting one of the many PG prospects from this draft is GM malpractice, tbh.

Mr. Body
07-12-2023, 11:28 AM
gHVlD178J9c

This guy was picked at 27. With as many assets as the Spurs had, I really think the Spurs not getting one of the many PG prospects from this draft is GM malpractice, tbh.

Not a point guard at all, man. He's a flimsy, frail shooter who will get abused on defense. We already have Branham who is much better.

spurraider21
07-12-2023, 11:28 AM
we knew smith is a bucket-getter type, but wasnt particularly efficient in college. not sure he really has chops to play PG. undersized scoring 2 wasn't really a pressing need

Mr. Body
07-12-2023, 11:29 AM
Bruh, you ever read any of your own posts?

Oh, didn't see this.

Yes, I didn't know you could take on salary and picks. All the time I've been in the dozen threads discussing this.

Or maybe you morons don't know how to read context. Goddamn fucking idiots.

Mitch Cumsteen
07-12-2023, 11:32 AM
The eval on Smith was a bit of a wildcard, too, because he was injured in his only college season. It was difficult to get a read on him, but he looked like a high usage guy with serious bust potential. He looked good last night, for sure, but it's summer league. The thing that translates least is scoring. The one on one defense is hit or miss based on the matchup and the team defense is usually a mess.

mo7888
07-12-2023, 01:20 PM
Not a point guard at all, man. He's a flimsy, frail shooter who will get abused on defense. We already have Branham who is much better.

He's absolutely a PG.... hos injury and playing out of position last year resulted in his fall. Have you looked at him lately.? Hesin great shape and athletic, he's not frail.

Mr. Body
07-12-2023, 01:34 PM
He's absolutely a PG.... hos injury and playing out of position last year resulted in his fall. Have you looked at him lately.? Hesin great shape and athletic, he's not frail.

There is huge disagreement on this board about what a point guard is. NSJ's size, frailty, and handles might suggest he's a point guard. His inability or inattention to creating plays for others or starting offenses show that he is not. He's an undersized shooting guard with very little facilitation. It's just not his game. Can he develop it? Maybe. At Arkansas, it was clear he couldn't do it and Black ran the offense and Smith played off him.

Just being able to dribble doesn't make a point guard. In the same way Kyrie Irving is not a point guard. You'd be a wreck if you tried to have NSJ running your team.

mo7888
07-12-2023, 01:39 PM
There is huge disagreement on this board about what a point guard is. NSJ's size, frailty, and handles might suggest he's a point guard. His inability or inattention to creating plays for others or starting offenses show that he is not. He's an undersized shooting guard with very little facilitation. It's just not his game. Can he develop it? Maybe. At Arkansas, it was clear he couldn't do it and Black ran the offense and Smith played off him.

Just being able to dribble doesn't make a point guard. In the same way Kyrie Irving is not a point guard. You'd be a wreck if you tried to have NSJ running your team.

Where do you get that he's frail?

This board loves Black and he's going to be a solid pro, but without Smith's injury he's not a top 10 pick and definitely behind Smith in the draft. Black will be solid as I said, but Smith has allstar potential. His biggest challenge is overcoming being in Charlotte, but for his sake hopefully their new regime is better and puts more emphasis on development than the previous.

Russ
07-12-2023, 01:40 PM
There is huge disagreement on this board about what a point guard is.

How about this -- a point guard needs to be able to:

(1) penetrate

(2) pass

(3) shoot

(Penetration includes finishing.)

Very simple.

That's all there is (but it's very difficult to find that trifecta). Two out of three won't cut it.

spurraider21
07-12-2023, 01:47 PM
maybe we can get a new Enrique

someone who can be our herro, baby

DAF86
07-12-2023, 01:51 PM

The Spurs don't need a traditional pass first, old school, PG. They need a point of attack guy that breaks down defenses, commands attention and opens the court for his teammates. Smith isn't a PG, in the same way that Curry, Lillard, Irving, Jamal Murray, etc. aren't PGs either. But that's fine, we need those type of guys, not a 90's Jason Kidd kind.

sfernald
08-04-2023, 11:31 PM
Sending good vibes brother. Terrible situation.
Much love.
Well my dad just died. Made it only two and a half months with my mom. Very sad but I guess it's a love story and they always end up sad. There's no real happy endings.

rascal
08-05-2023, 09:03 AM
The unintended consequence of Wemby’s Summer League Revenge is that it highlighted the need for us to have a REAL NBA caliber Point Guard for the Starting Lineup and the bench. Tre Jones is a mediocre starting option. Wesley and Branham clearly won’t get the job done. I have No confidence in Graham to do anything but score in buckets. We didn’t trade up for any of the options in what’s looking like a very deep PG draft in ‘23. What do we do to help Wemby succeed this year?

Lose enough this year to draft a top pg next year.

sfernald
08-05-2023, 09:14 AM
Lose enough this year to draft a top pg next year.

Hopefully we can make a move sooner. There’s so many good point guards in the league, someone with potential like a Suggs or Hayes or an older even better point guard might become available for a song. It happens every year and we are posed to be ready this season all the way through to the trade deadline.

stnick2261
08-05-2023, 11:33 AM
I was entirely on "team tank" last year, but I'm past that now. I don't want to lose a single extra game anymore. We have plenty of options to trade for an established PG. We have plenty of other team's draft picks to draft at a good position regardless of our own record. This next summer is looking good for PG options in the draft even without having a top pick (more PGs than any other position mocked in the 1st round).

Bruno
08-05-2023, 12:10 PM
A quick look at the PG landscape:
- There are 11 very good to great PG that are 26 years old or younger: Doncic, SGA, Jamal Murray, De'Aaron Fox , Ja Morant, Trae Young, Jalen Brunson, Haliburton, Darius Garland, Dejounte Murray and LaMelo Ball.
- Cade Cunningham and Scoot Henderson should soon join these 11 players.
- There are 5 vets around 32 years old that are still really good: Curry, Lillard, Harden, Jrue Holiday and Kyrie Irving.
- Then, there are the rest: Fred VanVlet, Tre and Tyus Jones, Marcus Smart, Derrick White, Gabe Vincent, D'Angelo Russell, Dennis Schröder, Monte Morris, Spencer Dinwiddie, Markelle Fultz...

I would say Spurs have 3 options:
1) Doing a huge trade to get one of the 13 "great" young PG. If one is available, which isn't the case for the moment, it would take a lot of assets to get him.
2) Sticking with a PG from "the rest" pool of players. Some of them are good players but Spurs would have, by definition, a below average starting PG.
3) Drafting a PG in the 2024 with their own pick who should be really high. This option's interest depends of course on how good is the 2024 Draft at the PG slot.

TrainOfThought5
08-05-2023, 01:44 PM
A quick look at the PG landscape:
- There are 11 very good to great PG that are 26 years old or younger: Doncic, SGA, Jamal Murray, De'Aaron Fox , Ja Morant, Trae Young, Jalen Brunson, Haliburton, Darius Garland, Dejounte Murray and LaMelo Ball.
- Cade Cunningham and Scoot Henderson should soon join these 11 players.
- There are 5 vets around 32 years old that are still really good: Curry, Lillard, Harden, Jrue Holiday and Kyrie Irving.
- Then, there are the rest: Fred VanVlet, Tre and Tyus Jones, Marcus Smart, Derrick White, Gabe Vincent, D'Angelo Russell, Dennis Schröder, Monte Morris, Spencer Dinwiddie, Markelle Fultz...

I would say Spurs have 3 options:
1) Doing a huge trade to get one of the 13 "great" young PG. If one is available, which isn't the case for the moment, it would take a lot of assets to get him.
2) Sticking with a PG from "the rest" pool of players. Some of them are good players but Spurs would have, by definition, a below average starting PG.
3) Drafting a PG in the 2024 with their own pick who should be really high. This option's interest depends of course on how good is the 2024 Draft at the PG slot.

TLDR = Spurs should’ve traded up this year but blew it, so we have to stick with the below average PG by committee approach this year, including everyone’s favorite “Jeremy Sochan is a PG” fantasy.

I honestly believe that we will make the play-in, and then go to the playoffs this upcoming year, so I don’t expect our draft pick to be high enough to draft a day one impact PG. I have no reason to believe that PATFO won’t surround Wemby with championship pieces the same way they did with Duncan. Just not sure how they’re going to do it, and how long it’s going to take.

spurs10
08-05-2023, 01:58 PM
We'll need to lose a lot of games to get a good pick in the draft. So I think we roll with Tre and and assess our needs as we go. Wonder if any players are on the FOs radar.

stnick2261
08-05-2023, 02:35 PM
Pop has also stated that he doesn't believe there are PGs.... just perimeter players and interior players. We have an entire roster of players who has "passing" as one of their strengths.

spurs10
08-05-2023, 02:47 PM
Pop has also stated that he doesn't believe there are PGs.... just perimeter players and interior players. We have an entire roster of players who has "passing" as one of their strengths. There is truth in this, but a perimeter player needs the skills of a PG.

Gagnrath
08-05-2023, 03:41 PM
There is truth in this, but a perimeter player needs the skills of a PG.

There are players that fill the role of floor general who don't technically play the point guard position. There are also shooting guards who look to score primarily who have good enough floor leadership and passing that they fill the role of point guard. Steph Curry is a perfect example of this.

Both of those said if you want to have a player who isn't a primary ball handler be the focus of the offense, and that is true of Wemby and to a lesser extent Keldon you need more of a pass first set-up the offense type to be the primary ball handler. I am not against having Tre and Cam Payne play that role this year. I don't think either is the starting PG of a real contender especially long term but do think both are competent enough points for the team this year and both are good enough and young enough to benefit from a year of starting under their belts to be top notch back-ups in the coming years.

TD 21
08-05-2023, 05:20 PM
There are players that fill the role of floor general who don't technically play the point guard position. There are also shooting guards who look to score primarily who have good enough floor leadership and passing that they fill the role of point guard. Steph Curry is a perfect example of this.

Both of those said if you want to have a player who isn't a primary ball handler be the focus of the offense, and that is true of Wemby and to a lesser extent Keldon you need more of a pass first set-up the offense type to be the primary ball handler.

Exactly. In certain cases, strict positional classification just gives way to semantical debates.

The reality is, you need a primary initiator. DeRozan, Mitchell, Doncic, Jokic, Cunningham, James, Butler, Harden, Booker and Barnes, are examples of players who either already do or are slated to fill that role for their respective teams, yet either never or rarely defend PG's.

Since there is not an obvious current option trade wise, who fits the timeline, to fill that role, the next best option is advantage creator who can shoot (Maxey, Herro, Quickley, Simons) to provide a stopgap without going heliocentric.

Of course, the most likely scenario is them just waiting for the draft.

CGD
08-05-2023, 07:39 PM
Definitely the draft, which is why we should start familiarizing ourselves with ‘24 and ‘25 draft names. Just for perspective, it was a few years before the spurs drafted Parker and we had a very limited floor “general type” running the show well enough until then.

FutureMan
08-05-2023, 08:56 PM
Definitely the draft, which is why we should start familiarizing ourselves with ‘24 and ‘25 draft names. Just for perspective, it was a few years before the spurs drafted Parker and we had a very limited floor “general type” running the show well enough until then.

Agreed but we can spare seconds and even the CHA 1st to improve the PG position now. I’m holding my judgement for this offseason/season until I see what the Spurs do with all these extra players. The right PG could:

1. As a PG, help facilitate/compliment our young team and especially Wembanyama.
2. Help teach our next starting PG that is drafted.
3. As a bonus, potentially turn the Spurs into a .500 team which is something none of our young players have even seen.

The last one may seem petty or stupid but I think it’s important to start winning now. Wembanyama made it clear he wants to win and starting the season with Tre Jones definitely doesn’t say that to me.

Gagnrath
08-06-2023, 01:00 AM
Agreed but we can spare seconds and even the CHA 1st to improve the PG position now. I’m holding my judgement for this offseason/season until I see what the Spurs do with all these extra players. The right PG could:

1. As a PG, help facilitate/compliment our young team and especially Wembanyama.
3. As a bonus, potentially turn the Spurs into a .500 team which is something none of our young players have even seen.

The last one may seem petty or stupid but I think it’s important to start winning now. Wembanyama made it clear he wants to win and starting the season with Tre Jones definitely doesn’t say that to me.
I disagree with the idea that Tre Jones and Cam Payne can't platoon the starting guard spot of a team right around .500 and in a play in game or two. What I'm more unsure of is if the rest of the roster has enough o get the team there Wemby is a rookie and here will be some issues in becoming an nba player. Devon back from injury is still a bit of a question mark. Sochan has had what offensive development? All of the above worry me more than a journeyman point guard without a 3 ball, or the Cam point guard who has realized that he's not the man but just an everyday guy in the nba. (yet does have a decent 3 ball.)

TrainOfThought5
08-06-2023, 03:38 AM

you just Described Mike Conley.

tesseractive
08-06-2023, 07:44 AM
TLDR = Spurs should’ve traded up this year but blew it, so we have to stick with the below average PG by committee approach this year, including everyone’s favorite “Jeremy Sochan is a PG” fantasy.

I honestly believe that we will make the play-in, and then go to the playoffs this upcoming year, so I don’t expect our draft pick to be high enough to draft a day one impact PG. I have no reason to believe that PATFO won’t surround Wemby with championship pieces the same way they did with Duncan. Just not sure how they’re going to do it, and how long it’s going to take.

I don't think we blew it at all.

We're going to lose a lot of games, and that's fine. I'm not proposing tanking by not trying to win, I'm saying roll with our young core, try our hardest, and lose anyway. The over/under in Vegas is 28 1/2 wins. Young teams traditionally become fun to watch first, then learn how to beat veteran teams after a year or two. This year should be way more watchable than last year, but wins are going to be a work in progress. Then we get a great pick next year.

Obstructed_View
08-06-2023, 08:42 AM
The year I moved to San Antonio, the point guards on the Spurs roster were Rod Strickland, Johnny Moore and Mo Cheeks. I think the Spurs have probably had three traditional point guards TOTAL that come close to any of those guys in the 32 years since.

The Truth #6
08-06-2023, 09:43 AM
As for drafting a point guard next year, we definitely won't be bottom 4, but then again there are only a handful of teams hardcore tanking. We could still be like the 8th or 9th worst then you hope to get lucky with the ping pong balls.

TrainOfThought5
08-06-2023, 11:41 AM
I don't think we blew it at all.

We're going to lose a lot of games, and that's fine. I'm not proposing tanking by not trying to win, I'm saying roll with our young core, try our hardest, and lose anyway. The over/under in Vegas is 28 1/2 wins. Young teams traditionally become fun to watch first, then learn how to beat veteran teams after a year or two. This year should be way more watchable than last year, but wins are going to be a work in progress. Then we get a great pick next year.

Vegas is wrong and you need to bet the over. This year is going to shock people by how we play and the amount of growth and gelling that happens (barring injury). We WILL make the play-in. Book it.

Bruno
08-06-2023, 12:39 PM
To me, Spurs belong in the bottom 6 of the NBA alongside Pistons, Wizards, Hornets, Blazers and Rockets. I think they will end between 30 and 32 wins.

Spurs have also Raptors 2024 first round pick that is only top 6 protected and they have lost Fred VanVleet and have a rookie coach. It could end up as another top 10 pick for Spurs.

spurs10
08-06-2023, 12:44 PM
To me, Spurs belong in the bottom 6 of the NBA alongside Pistons, Wizards, Hornets, Blazers and Rockets. I think they will end between 30 and 32 wins.

Spurs have also Raptors 2024 first round pick that is only top 6 protected and they have lost Fred VanVleet and have a rookie coach. It could end up as another top 10 pick for Spurs. Think that Raptors pick is our best shot at a Top 10 pick. Unless Wemby sits a lot we will win a few games.

The Truth #6
08-06-2023, 01:19 PM
I think there are a lot of realistic outcomes. The team is already telegraphing a slow approach for next year to see what we have. In other words they aren't pushing to win. Now, if the young players take a huge leap, that is one thing. But they will limit VW some, and there are enough players with knee injuries that will need rest. 28-34 wins seems reasonable.

spurraider21
08-06-2023, 01:32 PM
Pop has also stated that he doesn't believe there are PGs.... just perimeter players and interior players. We have an entire roster of players who has "passing" as one of their strengths.
that doesnt explain the existence of Tre Jones

he fits very cleanly into the "PG" role without having any other perimeter skills associated with other perimeter players other than PGs. cant defend anything besides other small PGs, isnt an off-ball threat, etc

JPB
08-06-2023, 04:53 PM

Spurs have also Raptors 2024 first round pick that is only top 6 protected and they have lost Fred VanVleet and have a rookie coach. It could end up as another top 10 pick for Spurs.

I don't see it that way. I believe that's really underestimating Wemby's impact to consider he won't basically add anything to a team that could have won 28-30 games last year if not for blatant tanking and sitting players... and I mean his personal impact and the impact his presence will have on the whole team with guys like Devin, Sochan, Keldon who should take the next step next to Victor. He's gonna facilitate a lot fo things for a lot of people... I think they can win 38-40 games without major injuries, and 35 minimum.

CGD
08-06-2023, 05:18 PM
I don't see it that way. I believe that's really underestimating Wemby's impact to consider he won't basically add anything to a team that could have won 28-30 games last year if not for blatant tanking and sitting players... and I mean his personal impact and the impact his presence will have on the whole team with guys like Devin, Sochan, Keldon who should take the next step next to Victor. He's gonna facilitate a lot fo things for a lot of people... I think they can win 38-40 games without major injuries, and 35 minimum.

Maybe, but I just don’t see where the additional 10 wins are coming for in a (re)loaded West. OKC and Houston are better, MIN is even a tough out. Utah and Sac may take a step back but are the Spurs good enough to be consistently better than them?

JPB
08-06-2023, 06:10 PM
Maybe, but I just don’t see where the additional 10 wins are coming for in a (re)loaded West. OKC and Houston are better, MIN is even a tough out. Utah and Sac may take a step back but are the Spurs good enough to be consistently better than them?

I guess it will mostly depend on how dominant Victor will be in his first season. And I believe he will. His first SL game has showered the hype a little but his second game is who he really is fi you ask me, when he's not asked to be Allen Iverson out there and is really focused on BB. And his impact on defense is not to underestimate... Put a 20+pt/12rb/3bl Victor in this team and you can reasonably win 35+ games.

FutureMan
08-06-2023, 06:10 PM
you just Described Mike Conley.

He’s #1 on my list for sure but there are others. People have made the case for Lowry and I get that. A champion & a six time Allstar. People have even suggested Paul and that fine too.

Duncan came into the league with vets David Robinson, Sean Elliott, & Avery Johnson.
Wembanyama is coming into the league with McDermott and (maybe) Bullock.

We’ll see what the Spurs do. I think it’s early September when we’re able to trade the new guys.

Gagnrath
08-06-2023, 06:12 PM

Pop not pulling players that are hot as much trying to lose an added emphasis on defense, Sohan progressing on offense to having a pull-up and possibly a three ball, Devin Vassell being healthy is probably an extra 3 to 5 wins alone even if he doesn't take any advancement as a scorer which I think he will. I also think with defenses pointed more at VW, and Vassell we're going to see Keldon's three ball regress a bit to 21-22 season level.

tonight...you
08-06-2023, 07:17 PM
I guess it will mostly depend on how dominant Victor will be in his first season. And I believe he will. His first SL game has showered the hype a little but his second game is who he really is fi you ask me, when he's not asked to be Allen Iverson out there and is really focused on BB. And his impact on defense is not to underestimate... Put a 20+pt/12rb/3bl Victor in this team and you can reasonably win 35+ games.
I just don't think he's going to be the rebounder everyone thinks he's going to be.
He constantly looks a bit raw and lackadaisical at it.
I'm going to guess his avg at 8-9 his 1st year.

Obstructed_View
08-07-2023, 12:50 AM
Tre is a backup. The Spurs have had a bunch of second-string traditional point guards, both young guys and vets. Just not starter-level.

Mr. Body
08-07-2023, 06:57 AM
I just don't think he's going to be the rebounder everyone thinks he's going to be.
He constantly looks a bit raw and lackadaisical at it.
I'm going to guess his avg at 8-9 his 1st year.

Constantly? How many games of Victor have you watched? Maybe he was getting a sense of SL instead of going all out? He averaged 10.4 rebounds in France.

exstatic
08-07-2023, 07:35 AM

Toronto’s pick should be good.

rankingtear
08-07-2023, 07:52 AM
The need for a point guard is overblown. We definitely need spacing , cause Wemby would continue to do those wing stuff and it is best that the help defense is far away from him.

tonight...you
08-07-2023, 12:42 PM
Constantly? How many games of Victor have you watched? Maybe he was getting a sense of SL instead of going all out? He averaged 10.4 rebounds in France.
I've watched a lot of him over in France. Maybe I'm wrong. That's fine.
That's the way he seems to me.
I think he could have averaged around 14 rebounds over there especially the way his teammates clanked the ball.

JR3
08-07-2023, 01:58 PM
Just catching up on this thread… so… we still need a point guard right?

Robz4000
08-07-2023, 02:58 PM

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/091/569/5c2.gif

I am the point guard now.

Mitch Cumsteen
08-07-2023, 03:10 PM

It's not just that all the teams in the west are better, but barring a mid-season course correction due to injury, nobody outside of Portland (after trading Lillard) will be outright tanking. Houston doesn't own its pick. Everybody else thinks they are a contender. Even if the Spurs are better, the record might not necessarily reflect it. There aren't going to be very many gimmes on the schedule.

Also, this draft looks to be hot garbage. I'm not wild about the point guards beyond Isiah Collier and even he has questions about his defense and long range shooting. DJ Wagner looks like an undersized shooting guard who can't hit threes and is not really a point. I do like Elliot Cadeau's game but he's undersized as well. Hopefully someone else emerges. Right now it looks like Collier or bust.

CGD
08-07-2023, 03:55 PM
It's not just that all the teams in the west are better, but barring a mid-season course correction due to injury, nobody outside of Portland (after trading Lillard) will be outright tanking. Houston doesn't own its pick. Everybody else thinks they are a contender. Even if the Spurs are better, the record might not necessarily reflect it. There aren't going to be very many gimmes on the schedule.

Also, this draft looks to be hot garbage. I'm not wild about the point guards beyond Isiah Collier and even he has questions about his defense and long range shooting. DJ Wagner looks like an undersized shooting guard who can't hit threes and is not really a point. I do like Elliot Cadeau's game but he's undersized as well. Hopefully someone else emerges. Right now it looks like Collier or bust.

I hope the spurs don’t force the issue and try to draft for fit with any top 10 picks they own. There are needs beyond PG, including more talent at the 3, so no need to waste a pick on a bad PG. I hope they just lean toward the talent over fit.

sfernald
08-08-2023, 01:13 AM

We need a point guard that doesn’t make us want to vomit.

MultiTroll
08-08-2023, 10:45 AM
Eeesh the Raptors have to have the 7th worst record or better?
I could see some serious Raptor tanking if they're out of it in the 2nd half.

Go Raptors!

MultiTroll
08-08-2023, 10:54 AM
Raptors new coach looked great in a small sample size:

On 11 January 2022, Rajaković as the interim head coach led the Grizzlies to a 116–108 win over the Golden State Warriors (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_State_Warriors).[13] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darko_Rajakovi%C4%87#cite_note-13) It was his head coaching debut in NBA.[14] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darko_Rajakovi%C4%87#cite_note-14) After his fellow Serbian countryman Igor Kokoškov (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_Koko%C5%A1kov), he is the second European who led an NBA team in a regular season game.[15] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darko_Rajakovi%C4%87#cite_note-15)[16] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darko_Rajakovi%C4%87#cite_note-16) Rajaković finished his stint as the interim head coach with a 4–1 record.

MultiTroll
08-08-2023, 12:23 PM

he fits very cleanly into the "PG" role without having any other perimeter skills associated with other perimeter players other than PGs. cant defend anything besides other small PGs, isnt an off-ball threat, etc
Pops Pets is going to be needed to be watched closely in the Wama era.

I hope and praying dog pray the FO is not going to continue to put up with it.