PDA

View Full Version : Hoiberg to Detroit?

ABDENOUR POWER
03-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Hoiberg to Detroit?

Not sure what will come of this, but Timberwolves special assistant Fred Hoiberg is on his way to Detroit to meet with Joe Dumars and Flip Saunders to talk about joining the Pistons roster.

Hoiberg, a 6'4 shooting guard, spent the last two seasons playing for Saunders in Minnesota before undergoing open heart surgery to correct an aneurysm in his aortic root this past summer, and has not played this season while in recovery.

If he does return to the court, he will become the first man to play in the NBA with a pacemaker.

I'm going to meet with Flip and [Pistons president] Joe Dumars," Hoiberg said. "Nothing's for sure. I want to find out if it's a situation that would make sense."

One hurdle is that the Pistons are already carrying the league max of 15 players on their roster, including Amir Johnson and Alex Acker, rookies who are currently playing with the team's NBDL affiliate in Fayetteville, NC.

Another hurdle is that Hoiberg still hasn't decided if it makes sense, health-wise, to pursue playing this year, next year, or to call it a career.

Kelvin Cato, who hasn't played since being acquired from Orlando in the Darko Milicic trade in February, would be the most likely candidate to be waived should the Pistons decide to bring Hoiberg on. The Pistons have no plans to keep Cato past this season.

Hoiberg, in stints with Indiana, Chicago and Minnesota, has averaged 5.4 PPG, 2.7 RPG and 1.6 APG, mostly as a reserve.

http://www.mlive.com/weblogs/beyondthearc/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_beyondthearc/archives/2006_03.html#118832

Interesting.

FreshPrince22
03-07-2006, 04:31 PM
ugghhh..... We don't need more 3 point shooters.

ABDENOUR POWER
03-07-2006, 06:29 PM
I think its an interesting idea, but frankly it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Peter
03-07-2006, 06:48 PM
If it was the Hoiberg of a couple of years ago, he'd be a solid pickup. Good range, scrappy, willing to play D.

Darrin
03-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Where is there space on this roster? The Pistons have made as many short-term pickups as they can this season with Cato replacing Milicic, and Delk replacing Arroyo. They cut either Johnson or Acker, I think it may harm the longterm future of this frachise. Cato will be helpful, even if it's just as 6 fouls in a game the Pistons run into some foul trouble (it happened last season).

FreshPrince22
03-07-2006, 08:22 PM
Where is there space on this roster? The Pistons have made as many short-term pickups as they can this season with Cato replacing Milicic, and Delk replacing Arroyo. They cut either Johnson or Acker, I think it may harm the longterm future of this frachise. Cato will be helpful, even if it's just as 6 fouls in a game the Pistons run into some foul trouble (it happened last season).

They would probably consider cutting Cato if it looks like he won't be able to play. It's not like he'll be in any kind of shape if he does get healthy in time for the playoffs. If the bigs get in trouble this year, we have Dale Davis. I would put him on Duncan in game 7 before Elden or Cato (or Tayshaun :pctoss)

samikeyp
03-07-2006, 08:56 PM
Unless Flip wants a new towel boy....why?

midgetonadonkey
03-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Isn't he dead?

Dunc
03-08-2006, 12:58 AM
This won't happen. Doesn't make any sense, and Cato's six fouls are more valuable than another shooter, especially one who could drop dead on the floor at any time. No thanks.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-08-2006, 04:14 AM
Good move.

Great shooter, underrated defender. He can be there Steve Kerr.

T.F. Storm
03-08-2006, 03:32 PM
I don't think I like the idea this season. I'd rather have a guy on our roster who will only play for 6 fouls in a Miami Series on Shaq (Cato) than a guy who could literally kick the bucket at any time.

Maybe in the off-season, but I'm skeptical right now. We dont need anymore outside shooters or pretty soon we're gonna be taking 35 three pointers a game.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-08-2006, 03:34 PM
I don't think I like the idea this season. I'd rather have a guy on our roster who will only play for 6 fouls in a Miami Series on Shaq (Cato) than a guy who could literally kick the bucket at any time.

Maybe in the off-season, but I'm skeptical right now. We dont need anymore outside shooters or pretty soon we're gonna be taking 35 three pointers a game.

Other than Billups, who is a "outside shooter" on that team?

Marklar MM
03-08-2006, 03:50 PM

Everyone basically...at least in principle. Well, except Ben Wallace. He is not really an "inside shooter" either.

Trainwreck2100
03-08-2006, 03:57 PM
So they are having a heart to heart?

z0sa
03-08-2006, 04:01 PM
Rip is shooting a high percentage but hes not really an outside shooter. Sheed is definitely an outside shooter, actually this season i think much too so. Tayshaun can hit threes but thats not his expertise. So in other words, Chauncey and Sheed are the outside threats.

Darrin
03-08-2006, 04:50 PM

Rasheed Wallace: .367 (125-341).
Chauncey Billups: .428 (133-311).
Tayshaun Prince: .349 (52-149).
Rip Hamilton: .449 (40-89)
Maurice Evans: .379 (33-87 off bench).
Carlos Delfino: .333 (15-45 off bench).
Tony Delk (Career): .340 (453-1,331).
Lindsey Hunter: Ranks 31st all-time in made 3-point field goals (1,004-2,746).

THE X-FACTOR
03-08-2006, 05:46 PM
the Pistons do not need to get another outside shooter! they need someone to play in the post!

jochhejaam
03-08-2006, 06:21 PM
Rip is shooting a high percentage but hes not really an outside shooter. Sheed is definitely an outside shooter, actually this season i think much too so. Tayshaun can hit threes but thats not his expertise. So in other words, Chauncey and Sheed are the outside threats.
Not known as an outside threat until this year, he worked hard on the 3-pointer in the off season and it's paid off.

3pt fg% over the last 3 years for Rip

03-04 .265 on 18-68
04-05 .305 on 36-118
05-06 .449 on 40-89

He's been especially accurate from the corners.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-08-2006, 10:31 PM
Rasheed Wallace: .367 (125-341).
Chauncey Billups: .428 (133-311).
Tayshaun Prince: .349 (52-149).
Rip Hamilton: .449 (40-89)
Maurice Evans: .379 (33-87 off bench).
Carlos Delfino: .333 (15-45 off bench).
Tony Delk (Career): .340 (453-1,331).
Lindsey Hunter: Ranks 31st all-time in made 3-point field goals (1,004-2,746).

Tony Delk? The Pistons traded for him?

Anywho...none of those players are "shooters". Having a high 3-point shooting percentage does not make you a "shooter". Hoiberg is a pure shooter who makes the defender stick to him.

Most the people on the Pistons right now are more of a slasher type. Like Evans, like Tayshaun. Delfino fits the same mold. Lindsay Hunter is a great defender, but he's not exactly dangerous from behind the arc.

Marklar MM
03-08-2006, 10:33 PM

Anywho...none of those players are "shooters". Having a high 3-point shooting percentage does not make you a "shooter". Hoiberg is a pure shooter who makes the defender stick to him.

Most the people on the Pistons right now are more of a slasher type. Like Evans, like Tayshaun. Delfino fits the same mold. Lindsay Hunter is a great defender, but he's not exactly dangerous from behind the arc.

Delfino is the only real slasher this team has.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-08-2006, 10:42 PM
Delfino is the only real slasher this team has.

You can't call Prince a "shooter" though.

Shooters are Steve Kerr. Reggie Miller. Jeff Hornacek. Sean Elliot even.

None of the players on that team really fit that mold. Hoiberg would fit in nicely.

Marklar MM
03-08-2006, 10:46 PM
The Pistons are a jump shooting team. There are no "Pure shooters" except for Hamilton, as you are talking about, but the team does have shooters.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-08-2006, 10:49 PM
The Pistons are a jump shooting team. There are no "Pure shooters" except for Hamilton, as you are talking about, but the team does have shooters.

Hamilton's a starter.

You're telling me that bench couldn't use a shooter like Hoiberg?

Darrin
03-09-2006, 12:37 AM
You can't call Prince a "shooter" though.

Shooters are Steve Kerr. Reggie Miller. Jeff Hornacek. Sean Elliot even.

None of the players on that team really fit that mold. Hoiberg would fit in nicely.

Apparently, you haven't seen the video of Tayshaun as he nailed 7 straight three-point shots with Kentucky.

Tayshaun is deadly from the corners. He spots up three-pointers the same way a Hornacek and Elliott did. As a matter of fact, I like that comparison all the way around - Sean Elliott.

Darrin
03-09-2006, 12:54 AM

The Pistons traded Carlos Arroyo and Darko Milicic for Kelvin Cato and a 2007 1st round pick. This opened up a roster spot. A week or so ago, the Atlanta Hawks bought Delk out of his contract after playing only one game this season, and the Pistons claimed him off waivers.

Hunter has been under .300 from downtown for the last three seasons, however:

Pistons All-Time Career Leaders:

Three Point Field Goals
1. Joe Dumars - 990
2. Lindsey Hunter - 740
3. Chauncey Billups - 577
4. Terry Mills - 495
5. Jerry Stackhouse - 401.

In 1999-00, Hunter was 7th in the league in three-point percentage (168-389, .432).

If this isn't about three-point scoring, how about Rip Hamilton - one of two guards to be averaging over .500 from the field? Chauncey Billups is more likely to drive to the hole and draw contact, but he's a great spot shooter, and great off the dribble. Rasheed Wallace has one of the longest ranges for anyone at his position. Before games, he has shooting contests FROM THE HASH MARK!

Nobody is a pretty shooter, and if that is what you are looking for, poetry is not what they have. Tayshaun Prince's elbow is never tucked it, Mo Evans has a quicker "Grandma-like" release on his shot than Jon Barry. This team is full of shooters.

If you are looking for a pure shooter (what Hoiberg is), then there's not any of that, either. Tayshaun catches lobs in transition, Chauncey draws contact at the rim to go to the line, Rasheed Wallace plays on the block. But don't confuse those added dimensions with not being able to shoot.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-09-2006, 04:54 PM
The Pistons traded Carlos Arroyo and Darko Milicic for Kelvin Cato and a 2007 1st round pick. This opened up a roster spot. A week or so ago, the Atlanta Hawks bought Delk out of his contract after playing only one game this season, and the Pistons claimed him off waivers.

Hunter has been under .300 from downtown for the last three seasons, however:

Pistons All-Time Career Leaders:

Three Point Field Goals
1. Joe Dumars - 990
2. Lindsey Hunter - 740
3. Chauncey Billups - 577
4. Terry Mills - 495
5. Jerry Stackhouse - 401.

In 1999-00, Hunter was 7th in the league in three-point percentage (168-389, .432).

If this isn't about three-point scoring, how about Rip Hamilton - one of two guards to be averaging over .500 from the field? Chauncey Billups is more likely to drive to the hole and draw contact, but he's a great spot shooter, and great off the dribble. Rasheed Wallace has one of the longest ranges for anyone at his position. Before games, he has shooting contests FROM THE HASH MARK!

Nobody is a pretty shooter, and if that is what you are looking for, poetry is not what they have. Tayshaun Prince's elbow is never tucked it, Mo Evans has a quicker "Grandma-like" release on his shot than Jon Barry. This team is full of shooters.

If you are looking for a pure shooter (what Hoiberg is), then there's not any of that, either. Tayshaun catches lobs in transition, Chauncey draws contact at the rim to go to the line, Rasheed Wallace plays on the block. But don't confuse those added dimensions with not being able to shoot.

I'm not saying they can't shoot. I'm saying they're not pure shooters.

Except for Billups, he can stop on a dime and nail a three with the best of them. Rip comes off screen's to shoot more often than just standing in a corner to stretch the defense. With Hoiberg you don't need to call plays for him, just stick him out there, he will demand a defender stick to him.

As for Hunter, if you're on a team long enough you'll be the team leader in 3-point field goals. He's a great on-the-ball defender. Spot up shooter he is not. He's like there Bruce Bowen. But Bowen and Kerr are nothing alike.

Obstructed_View
03-09-2006, 05:03 PM
I'm sure it's been mentioned in here, but I don't see how the Pistons would need another guy shooting threes. Flip has restored his reputation as a coach, and should probably leave well enough alone.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-09-2006, 05:46 PM
I'm sure it's been mentioned in here, but I don't see how the Pistons would need another guy shooting threes. Flip has restored his reputation as a coach, and should probably leave well enough alone.

The "if it ain't broke don't fix it" policy doesn't always work.

The great teams have always made little changes. The Lakers did it, the Spurs did it. The Bulls did it. Just because you're good, does not mean you can't get better. Hell, if you don't keep trying to get better...you will by default at best stay the same, if not get worse.

I don't see any downside to picking up Hoiberg. Worstcase, he rides the bench. So what?

Marklar MM
03-09-2006, 05:57 PM

The great teams have always made little changes. The Lakers did it, the Spurs did it. The Bulls did it. Just because you're good, does not mean you can't get better. Hell, if you don't keep trying to get better...you will by default at best stay the same, if not get worse.

I don't see any downside to picking up Hoiberg. Worstcase, he rides the bench. So what?

Why don't the Pistons just sign every player available at different points for the rest of the season?

Please_dont_ban_me
03-09-2006, 06:00 PM
Why don't the Pistons just sign every player available at different points for the rest of the season?

Way to take it to an extreme.

This isn't every player. This is one player. It will make them a better team. At worst, he won't work out and he'll be the 12th man, or sit on the IR the rest of the season. It's not like you have to lose anything to get him.

samikeyp
03-09-2006, 06:05 PM

In this case it does.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-09-2006, 06:05 PM
In this case it does.

Great analysis.

jochhejaam
03-09-2006, 06:42 PM
Last years 3pt fg% for Hoiberg was a gaudy .483 making 70-149. He was .489 from the field and .873 from the line.

I think we might be able to fit a shooter like that on to the roster. Joe will do what's best for the team.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/fred_hoiberg/

Please_dont_ban_me
03-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Last years 3pt fg% for Hoiberg was a gaudy .483 making 70-149. He was .489 from the field and .873 from the line.

I think we might be able to fit a shooter like that on to the roster. Joe will do what's best for the team.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/fred_hoiberg/

We?

Joe?

:elephant

bdubya
03-09-2006, 07:54 PM
So I guess the idea is, if the 3 isn't falling for Sheed or Chauncey.....have somebody ELSE start jacking up 3s?

Or is this supposed to give Flip ammo to tell Sheed "HEY! We GOT somebody at the arc; YOU get your ass down on the BLOCK! NOW!" and make it stick?

Obstructed_View
03-09-2006, 10:02 PM
I'm sure it's not a secret that the Pistons aren't winning in the playoffs with Rasheed standing 25 feet from the basket, but someone should tell him instead of just crowding the perimiter in the hopes he gets the message.

Darrin
03-09-2006, 10:54 PM
someone should tell (Rasheed) instead of just crowding the perimiter in the hopes he gets the message.

Agreed. That's not exactly great team communication.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-10-2006, 02:55 PM
Agreed. That's not exactly great team communication.

Someone should tell posters to stop speculating on the purpose behind trades.

Darrin
03-10-2006, 06:58 PM
Someone should tell posters to stop speculating on the purpose behind trades.

What are you, the thought police?

FreshPrince22
03-10-2006, 07:07 PM

Flip doesn't need his security blanket from Minny. Carlos Delfino is obviously more talented and a better player, but Flip knows Hoiberg, so he will take his minutes. It's already happening to a lesser degree with Mo Evans. Carlos consistantly outplays him in games, but Flip knows Evans from his rookie year with the Wolves, so Evans continues to play more minutes. It happens with every coach. Larry Brown had Darvin Ham. Carlisle had Michael Curry. I like Hoiberg, but not at the expense of having Carlos Delfino go all Darko on us and get buried on the end of the bench.

Now if Hoiberg was taking Mo Evans' minutes, then I'd consider it, but it's stupid to have 7 bench players all playing small minutes each. I'd rather give 3 bench players big minutes. If it were up to me, I'd give Delk or Hunter (probably Delk once he learns the system) 20 minutes, Delfino 25 minutes, Dice 25 minutes, and the rest get scraps.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-10-2006, 09:10 PM
What are you, the thought police?

No.

But if you're going to assume what people are thinking, than I have a right to voice my thoughts on your assumptions. Or do just you have the right to voice your opinion?

Please_dont_ban_me
03-10-2006, 09:11 PM
Flip doesn't need his security blanket from Minny. Carlos Delfino is obviously more talented and a better player, but Flip knows Hoiberg, so he will take his minutes. It's already happening to a lesser degree with Mo Evans. Carlos consistantly outplays him in games, but Flip knows Evans from his rookie year with the Wolves, so Evans continues to play more minutes. It happens with every coach. Larry Brown had Darvin Ham. Carlisle had Michael Curry. I like Hoiberg, but not at the expense of having Carlos Delfino go all Darko on us and get buried on the end of the bench.

Now if Hoiberg was taking Mo Evans' minutes, then I'd consider it, but it's stupid to have 7 bench players all playing small minutes each. I'd rather give 3 bench players big minutes. If it were up to me, I'd give Delk or Hunter (probably Delk once he learns the system) 20 minutes, Delfino 25 minutes, Dice 25 minutes, and the rest get scraps.

Wasn't Evans a rookie for the Kings, not the Wolves?

Delfino is a nice player. But he has alot of potential. You know exactly what you're getting with Hoiberg. Minus the 'he might croak at any minute' factor.

Marklar MM
03-10-2006, 09:42 PM

Delfino is a nice player. But he has alot of potential. You know exactly what you're getting with Hoiberg. Minus the 'he might croak at any minute' factor.

The Kings were Evans 2nd or 3rd NBA team.

Darrin
03-10-2006, 11:48 PM
No.

But if you're going to assume what people are thinking, than I have a right to voice my thoughts on your assumptions. Or do just you have the right to voice your opinion?

Just my opinion. I plan to rule the entire Spurstalk universe, one day, the entire internet! :lmao

(I hope you didn't take offense to a small - very small - joke at your expense)

Darrin
03-11-2006, 12:04 AM

He was a rookie in the 2001-02 season with the Minnesota Timberwolves, playing in ten games. He then went overseas where he was the number one option for Dynamo Moscow. He returned to the NBA with the Kings in November of 2004 where he had his breakout season 6.4 ppg, 3.1 rpg, .57 steals in 65 games (11 starts - 10.3 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.3 apg in 33.9 minutes).