PDA

View Full Version : I didn't want to admit it then but

redskinfan
05-29-2006, 11:39 AM
Avery outcoached POP big time after seeing Avery go to Diop and Dirk together even though the Suns were small made a big difference he was able to defend the basket and get key rebounds. I wonder what a Rasho or Nazr might have done?

mookie2001
05-29-2006, 11:41 AM
popovich blows

exstatic
05-29-2006, 11:43 AM
I wonder what a Rasho or Nazr might have done?

Allowed Dirk to score 70. That would have been in one half, and it would have been BOTH of them, and they would have both fouled out.

boutons_
05-29-2006, 11:47 AM
Diop had actually played a few minutes earlier that game, and in earlier games, so wasn't stone cold dead the way DNPCD Rasho and Nazr were. So Diop was actually ready to go a few minutes in OT, while Rasho and Nazr weren't.

Pop instransigent insistence of going small ball all the way is subject of an eternal debate. I tend to think Pop is not very good at effective in-game adaptations, even though he seems to play musical rotations with several players in and out for short-minute stretches in some insame matchup dance.

Pop was pretty hamstrung with Robert/Rasho/Nazr sucking badly these playoffs. Big challenge for Pop, and he didn't seem to be up to it.

redskinfan
05-29-2006, 11:49 AM
Allowed Dirk to score 70. That would have been in one half, and it would have been BOTH of them, and they would have both fouled out.
You know thats what Amare did last year and we handled them pretty well I just think they would have handled the interior a little better POP < Avery right now

redskinfan
05-29-2006, 11:50 AM
Diop didnt even play game 1 and they lost that one!

picnroll
05-29-2006, 11:56 AM
People who think that Nazr and Rasho could have done jackshit in the Mavs - Spurs series gotta make you wonder.

If you want to say Pop fucked up then say he fucked up as a GM by masturbating over Kidd and letting Howard slide by. By not going after Varejao in the draft which would have been the key to handling Dirk. By being so in love with smart vets that he let the teams' athleticism slide.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Pop has never been great at making in-series adjustments. When Phil Jackson used to do it to him it usually took Pop the following off-season after losing the series to 'adjust', and that was usually by way of roster changes, not any profound x's and o's move.

All Avery had to do was tweak his starting lineup twice and it overloaded simulator crew's circuits. :td

exstatic
05-29-2006, 11:59 AM
You know thats what Amare did last year and we handled them pretty well I just think they would have handled the interior a little better POP < Avery right now
Show me the link to the box score where Amare scored 70 last year. Amare, despite his prodigious atheltic gifts, is actually rather limited offensively. Comparing the offensive threats posed by Amare and Dirk is just foolish. Dirk is MILES better and more versatile as an offensive threat.

polandprzem
05-29-2006, 11:59 AM
This thread is sposored by AggieHoopsfan

picnroll
05-29-2006, 12:02 PM
I want one guy who says Rasho or Nazr should have been in to tell me who was going to guard Dirk and how? Hell Horry couldn't stay in front of Dirk. Duncan couldn't stay in front of Dirk. Do you think Rasho or NAzr could? Did you want to see Dirk blowing by those two and getting to the basket where Dunacn would pick up six fouls in the first quarter trying to cover for those stiffs? I have yet to hear anybody come up with a plausible formula for that. Only bitch and moan about small ball. Fact is if Barry had done jack and given the Spurs some points and rest for the main six Spurs would be in the WCFs.

JoeChalupa
05-29-2006, 12:02 PM
I don't blame it on Pop but the players not making the crucial shots down the stretch.
Pop has my vote of confidence.

ShoogarBear
05-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Dirk scored 50 and the Mavs still lost. To Golden State. At the AAC.

I still don't buy that Dirk can beat you by himself.

redskinfan
05-29-2006, 12:05 PM
Show me the link to the box score where Amare scored 70 last year. Amare, despite his prodigious atheltic gifts, is actually rather limited offensively. Comparing the offensive threats posed by Amare and Dirk is just foolish. Dirk is MILES better and more versatile as an offensive threat.

Hey Idiot that is a exaggeration these Idiots including yourself seem to think that having Rasho or Nazr meant that Dirk would have gone crazy and I said that Amare did that last year and It didn't bother uthe Spurs that much (4-2)I think that once you get off of POP's Jock you might actually see that I am right we got outcoached period.

JoeChalupa
05-29-2006, 12:05 PM
Team! Team! Team!

redskinfan
05-29-2006, 12:07 PM
Look who Diop is guarding Thomas and Diaw they are much quicker but he does change their shots and gets rebounds right???

ctpsb
05-29-2006, 12:08 PM
I want one guy who says Rasho or Nazr should have been in to tell me who was going to guard Dirk and how? Hell Horry couldn't stay in front of Dirk. Duncan couldn't stay in front of Dirk. Do you think Rasho or NAzr could? Did you want to see Dirk blowing by those two and getting to the basket where Dunacn would pick up six fouls in the first quarter trying to cover for those stiffs? I have yet to hear anybody come up with a plausible formula for that. Only bitch and moan about small ball. Fact is if Barry had done jack and given the Spurs some points and rest for the main six Spurs would be in the WCFs.

I still think you blame playing all small ball a little. I agree with all the quote's points, but just by sheer numbers of not playing Nazr and Rasho (even for just 5 minutes) and severly limiting Horry, you just plain wore out and/or got key players into foul trouble by having no bench.

But also true Barry needs to be cut loose he and his wife's community service notwithstanding. He's made a couple big shots but all in all misses way too many big shots when needed and makes a lot of mistakes (2 TO's in final minutes Game 4 (3?), etc.

redskinfan
05-29-2006, 12:10 PM

you know Duncan could guard him and do a decent job while the other big could stay on Damp or Diop and defend the lane, but it's too late now SPURS got outcoached and are on vacation

picnroll
05-29-2006, 12:11 PM
GS beat Dallas twice. When Dirk scored 50 and GS won Mavs had no Harris or Howard. GS did beat Dallas with small ball using Murphy as their primary big..

picnroll
05-29-2006, 12:12 PM
you know Duncan could guard him and do a decent job while the other big could stay on Damp or Diop and defend the lane, but it's too late now SPURS got outcoached and are on vacation
Duncan could guard him? When? Every time Duncan matched up o9n Dirk Dirk took him outside and drove and Duncan got tagged with a ticky tack bumping foul. The change in rules for penetrating has made it clear path to the basket for guys like Dirk.

exstatic
05-29-2006, 12:12 PM
So, you didn't watch the series, then. Bringing you up to date: Tim turned into a foul machine any time he had to play even 2 minutes on Dirk. He can't guard him on the perimeter.

Spurologist
05-29-2006, 12:14 PM

Dude, that is basketball ignorance at its best. Amare over powered the whole spurs team and hits facial contested jumpers the whole series. Amare is not limited offensively. It is Dirk that shrivels when he gets anywhere near the rim. His ass got capped last night. Fucking hilarious. The point is if nothing is working, insert Nazr/Rasho for more than 3 fucking seconds. I just hoping that pop still doesn't hold grudges against Nazr for making that 3 pt at the end of one of the kings games. I don't see Dirk scoring 70 in the league. Ever. especially against the spurs. We are not the Toronto Raptors.

ctpsb
05-29-2006, 12:16 PM
Duncan could guard him? When? Every time Duncan matched up o9n Dirk Dirk took him outside and drove and Duncan got tagged with a ticky tack bumping foul. The change in rules for penetrating has made it clear path to the basket for guys like Dirk.

No kidding. But it seems that has changed in the Phoenix series. It seems Marion and others are blocking Dirk's shots hard and nothing is called. Phoenix is doing things that if done half by Spurs were whistled.

SequSpur
05-29-2006, 12:16 PM
Get over it already, Pop ain't going nowhere, he is still wearing Peter Holt's Kneepads.

redskinfan
05-29-2006, 12:17 PM
So, you didn't watch the series, then. Bringing you up to date: Tim turned into a foul machine any time he had to play even 2 minutes on Dirk. He can't guard him on the perimeter.

I said he could guard him I didn't say he would be good at it, I dont think their is a player who could guard Dirk right now do you know of one.

exstatic
05-29-2006, 12:18 PM
No kidding. But it seems that has changed in the Phoenix series. It seems Marion and others are blocking Dirk's shots hard and nothing is called. Phoenix is doing things that if done half by Spurs were whistled.
Well, that's not exactly Pop's fault then, is it?

Spurologist
Get over it already, Pop ain't going nowhere, he is still wearing Peter Holt's Kneepads.

true but someone needs to give him a link to Spurstalk.com

picnroll
What pisses me off is that last night Dirk was bumping Nash on drives with impunity. Same shit was getting called against the Spurs whenever Dirk or Harris would go to the basket. Barbosa was getting bumped too.

ctpsb
05-29-2006, 12:21 PM
Well, that's not exactly Pop's fault then, is it?

I wasn't blaming Pop. I was making a side point.

Extra Stout
05-29-2006, 12:22 PM
Popovich used to be the best coach in the league.

Avery Johnson PWNED him so badly I wouldn't be surprised if Pop's wine collection all turned to vinegar.

So I guess Pop is #2 now.

redskinfan
05-29-2006, 12:22 PM
This isnt a fire POP thread just cause he made a mistake against Dallas, doesn't mean he should go, it's just a little annoying when he refuses to do things and makes excuses for them that they would never work. He is just a tad hard headed dont you think?

exstatic
05-29-2006, 12:23 PM
What pisses me off is that last night Dirk was bumping Nash on drives with impunity. Same shit was getting called against the Spurs whenever Dirk or Harris would go to the basket. Barbosa was getting bumped too.
It's all created drama. I'll do my Karnak immitation: Phoenix wins the next game. Ooo, the drama. People are going to catch on eventually, and only tune in for game 5 and beyond, and the NBA will be stuck with shitty ratings again.

LET THEM PLAY.

Spurologist
05-29-2006, 12:32 PM
This isnt a fire POP thread just cause he made a mistake against Dallas, doesn't mean he should go, it's just a little annoying when he refuses to do things and makes excuses for them that they would never work. He is just a tad hard headed dont you think?

I've always like the hard headedness about him. He is loose but he expects great things from his players. Pop yelling at Tony is an example. However, he just can't get it through his head that sometimes what he is doing is wrong. P. J is a good x's and o's guy. Is pop ignoring him or not listening to his advice. I don't know. Making adjustment is in an NBA coach's job description

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-29-2006, 12:39 PM
I want one guy who says Rasho or Nazr should have been in to tell me who was going to guard Dirk and how? Hell Horry couldn't stay in front of Dirk. Duncan couldn't stay in front of Dirk. Do you think Rasho or NAzr could?

The bottom line is we'll never know because Pop never tried.

Old School Chic
05-29-2006, 12:42 PM
The bottom line is we'll never know because Pop never tried.

:tu

JoeChalupa
05-29-2006, 01:11 PM
I still don't get the blame Pop game. Manu makes his drive and if Timmy makes the put back we win game seven.

I'd still take Pop over Avery any day of the week.

td4mvp21
05-29-2006, 01:24 PM
I completely understand the blame Pop game. He doesn't make adjustments. That is what you are supposed to do in playoffs when you lose a game. He always says in interviews "lets stick with it"-let me ask you all something: do you stick with something that isn't working? HELL NO. That is completely simple logic. Pop's always messing with lineups as well. I think a lot of us forget how much we yell at Pop when we lose in the regular season. He holds us back. What I've noticed about him is that he has to have everything perfect-and he's so stubborn that he will not change anything. Several times I have seen Ginobili make a great play and bring us back, and then Pop takes him out because that's what he normally does. WTF. Also, telling Parker to shoot 20 + shots a game killed us. Parker was great this season, but we need his assists, and when he had off games he did NOT stop shooting. That hurt us. He tried to do too much at times. Also, in overtime of Game 7, why on earth do you not go to Ginobili? And in fourth quarters, the whole damn three quarters before that Duncan hardly touches it and has no rhythm, and then in the fourth quarter every play is 4-down. Pop doesn't make good choices. He's a good coach, but I bet there is a coach out there who can utilize our team better than he does.

JoeChalupa
05-29-2006, 01:29 PM
Of course. Every coach is different. I could see if the Spurs got blown out every game but they didn't and again, it wasn't Pop who missed the shots or made the foul or made the turnover.

td4mvp21
05-29-2006, 01:35 PM
Agreed, but I think he makes some very poor decisions that hurt us bad. But he does draw up some very good plays in the clutch.

Solid D
05-29-2006, 01:41 PM
Dallas having a 7-foot player who can play out on the floor at both ends was the problem for the Spurs. That's why when Dallas plays Diop and Nowitzki together, they have two rebounding Bigs but they also have the effectiveness of 1 Big and 4 perimeter guys. When the Spurs played Tim and Nazr together, they had 2 Bigs and 3 perimeter guys at both ends. Dirk went out on the floor and made the Spurs pay with shots or fouls. Horry wasn't the rebounder Dirk is and he isn't as mobile as Dirk is. That's a problem.

Against PHX, Dallas is getting away with playing Diop and Dirk together because D'Antoni isn't exploiting the Diop on Diaw matchup like he should. Diop is smart on his switches and he's sagging. Diaw isn't nailing the shots from the outside and making Diop pay. When PHX runs and Dallas cross-matches, Diop either zones or picks up the next biggest guy, usually cross-matching with Marion. Still, PHX isn't exploiting that matchup either. Therefore, AJ looks like a genius.

strangeweather
05-29-2006, 01:42 PM
Pop has never been great at making in-series adjustments. When Phil Jackson used to do it to him it usually took Pop the following off-season after losing the series to 'adjust', and that was usually by way of roster changes, not any profound x's and o's move.

All Avery had to do was tweak his starting lineup twice and it overloaded simulator crew's circuits. :td

Yeah, what was Pop thinking? He should have followed your game plan from the last thread to leave Dirk wide open on the perimeter all series long. :lol

redskinfan
05-29-2006, 01:43 PM
Their are too many POP apologists here, I love my SPURS and I can say that as much as he doesn't thinks so, POP is wrong sometimes.I think his stubborness to stay small hurt our team.I dont think small is gonna win Championships and everyone is getting carried Away with this notion that the league is changing and we better change along with them. The best teams are the ones that play solid ''D'' and they win championships.

redskinfan
05-29-2006, 01:46 PM
Yeah, what was Pop thinking? He should have followed your game plan from the last thread to leave Dirk wide open on the perimeter all series long. :lol

Dirk on the pereimeter is better than Dirk at the hoop.

exstatic
05-29-2006, 01:50 PM
Dirk on the pereimeter is better than Dirk at the hoop.
Dirk on the perimeter is what beat us. He had occasional drives, which rarely resulted in a basket but got him to the line, but 75% of his damage was done with his jumper. I don't think he had anything that hit the rim that didn't go in.

JoeChalupa
05-29-2006, 01:51 PM
I'm not apologizing for Pop, I just don't think he's the main reason the Spurs lost.
But I could be wrong.

picnroll
05-29-2006, 01:53 PM
Pop did a remarkable job of coaching keeping the Spurs in the series given the talent he had and the matchups that he was forced to deal with. Dallas simply had more depth and flexibility. No big surprise when you're outspent by 50%. Diop was a coup for Dallas too.

Again, you want to fault him fault him as a GM. He's been slow in adjusting to the new rules, the way they effect the game and the personell required. He put his backup PG eggs in Van Exel's basket, maybe that was required to get Finley to sign. Spurs' frontoffice is living off the glory of getting Manu and Parker but what have they done lately?

Pop and Buford have some adjusting to do to make the matchups with Dallas and Phoenix next year and another set of matchup problems with Houston if they can stay healthy and add a tad of talent.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Some of you don't get it.

The playing Nazr/Rasho thing isn't about shutting down. It's about taking away all those points in the paint that Dallas got in our series. Terry, Harris, and Howard were running lay up drills all series long with Horry and Bowen playing PF.

I'll trade anyone taking jumpers for the layup fest that was the Mavs series, not to mention all the damn offensive rebounds Dallas got.

exstatic
05-29-2006, 01:58 PM
Some of you don't get it. We didn't match up. You can conjecture all you want, but if you think that Nazr Mohammed could stop my grandmother from making a layup, let alone defend Dirk AND stop my grandmother, you're imbibing magic mushrooms.

strangeweather
05-29-2006, 01:59 PM
Some of you don't get it.

The playing Nazr/Rasho thing isn't about shutting down. It's about taking away all those points in the paint that Dallas got in our series. Terry, Harris, and Howard were running lay up drills all series long with Horry and Bowen playing PF.

I'll trade anyone taking jumpers for the layup fest that was the Mavs series, not to mention all the damn offensive rebounds Dallas got.

Hey, why contest any jumpers at all? We can have everyone stand around the edge of the paint and play Red Rover, while one of the best jump shooting teams in the NBA gets their pick of the shots.

DetroitgotPiston
05-29-2006, 02:50 PM
Sorry about that loss to Dallas. You guys deserved the title the most (besides the Heat). I was looking forward to the Heat facing you guys in the finals. The Spurs had a great run and had a tough break. Just so you know, the Heat will take down the Pistons this year.

windboy226
05-29-2006, 03:01 PM
GS beat Dallas twice. When Dirk scored 50 and GS won Mavs had no Harris or Howard. GS did beat Dallas with small ball using Murphy as their primary big..

Actually it was 3 times...GS owned us this year and if we met them in the playoffs we might of lost the series(though we did have players out each time we met them).

redskinfan
05-29-2006, 09:13 PM
Some of you don't get it. We didn't match up. You can conjecture all you want, but if you think that Nazr Mohammed could stop my grandmother from making a layup, let alone defend Dirk AND stop my grandmother, you're imbibing magic mushrooms.

I get it POP doesn't get it and neither do you, why did our bigs play during the regular season against the MAVS and how did we do all we did was drop to their level and got burned!!!

exstatic
05-29-2006, 09:17 PM
I get it POP doesn't get it and neither do you, why did our bigs play during the regular season against the MAVS and how did we do all we did was drop to their level and got burned!!!
You do realize that we split 2-2 and they blew us out once. We didn't exactlly dominate with the Nazr-nator manning the post.

picnroll
05-29-2006, 09:19 PM
Good to see we have all this coaching talent waiting in the wings for when Pop retires. Looks like we can even upgrade from Pop.

redskinfan
05-29-2006, 09:22 PM
Good to see we have all this coaching talent waiting in the wings for when Pop rtires.

It doesnt take a genius to figure this one out Einstein and the 2 and 2 record shows that the bigs can play if it would have been a sweep then I and many would understand.

Slinkyman
05-29-2006, 09:23 PM
Going to small ball was the right choice, we just didn't have the personnel to run it properly. If pop is to blame it's for not getting that damn long 3 we've been needing for years, it's just this year it really hurt us not having that kind of guy on our team.

Playoffs are about match ups and we didn't match up well, but our heart and leadership carried us to overtime in game 7. Nazr and Rasho would have been no help, they can't guard Dirk and with them on the floor Tim would have to guard Dirk and you better believe Avery would have set up play after play having Dirk attacking Tim until he fouled out.

strangeweather
05-29-2006, 09:24 PM
It doesnt take a genius to figure this one out Einstein and the 2 and 2 record shows that the bigs can play if it would have been a sweep then I and many would understand.

Griffin started for them in the regular season. Taking him out of the lineup changed the entire dynamic of the series.

redskinfan
05-29-2006, 09:30 PM
griffin was a mid season pick up I think,I could be wrong but I think he was,anyways second guessing is always easier after the fact and I think things would have been different

picnroll
05-29-2006, 09:32 PM
You might want to factor in that the last three games that Dallas and SA played in the regular season Dallas either didn't have Harris or Howard available. The first one where both were available Spurs got blown out with Horry, Rasho and Nazr playing a totla of 42 minutes.

redskinfan
05-29-2006, 09:37 PM
I know Howard missed 1 of the games and Harris missed 2 I believe did we have any missing pieces during those games ie;ginobili or horry etc.

strangeweather
05-29-2006, 09:37 PM
griffin was a mid season pick up I think,I could be wrong but I think he was,anyways second guessing is always easier after the fact and I think things would have been different

He was picked up in November, and started 45 games for them, including the 3/2 game that the Spurs won. He was injured for the 4/7 game that the Mavs won.

redskinfan
05-29-2006, 09:46 PM
You might want to factor in that the last three games that Dallas and SA played in the regular season Dallas either didn't have Harris or Howard available. The first one where both were available Spurs got blown out with Horry, Rasho and Nazr playing a totla of 42 minutes.

Howard only missed one of the games as did Ginobili and Horry

picnroll
05-29-2006, 09:48 PM
Howard missed one, Harris missed two. Last three games they couldn't put Terry, Harris and Howard on the floor together against the Spurs.

SAGambler
05-29-2006, 10:25 PM
Avery outcoached POP big time after seeing Avery go to Diop and Dirk together even though the Suns were small made a big difference he was able to defend the basket and get key rebounds. I wonder what a Rasho or Nazr might have done?

Well, they probably would done great...........AGAINST THE SUNS.....

Problem was.....we weren't playing the Suns.

SAGambler
05-29-2006, 10:37 PM
Sorry about that loss to Dallas. You guys deserved the title the most (besides the Heat). I was looking forward to the Heat facing you guys in the finals. The Spurs had a great run and had a tough break. Just so you know, the Heat will take down the Pistons this year.

Well, it's certainly looking that way...

I've said for the last three months that Detroit is not as good as everyone was giving them credit for being. You could see after the ASB that Detroit was just another good team. Then when the Cavs took them to seven, I suspected Miami was going to take them to the clearners.

I look for Miami to close this thing out Wednesday night. Detroit has no answers for Shaq and DWade...