PDA

View Full Version : would you trade Tim Duncan to the rights to Greg Oden?

Lakerfan
07-06-2006, 04:22 PM
Greg Oden is compared to the next Tim Duncan coming out of college... would you guys ever trade him? Oden is probably the next dominate big man will you take a chance at him if it met to give up Duncan?

ChumpDumper
07-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Would you trade Shaq for Brian Grant and Lamar Odom?

baseline bum
07-06-2006, 04:24 PM
* sound of crickets chirping *

Mr. Body
07-06-2006, 04:25 PM

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Leetonidas
07-06-2006, 04:25 PM
No.

birdy219
07-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Trading Tim is out of the question.....NOW. He is one of the few NBA players who you could NOT get true value for. Maybe in 5 years, but he would retire before forcing a trade. Would you trade Kobe Bryant for anyone?

Quadzilla99
07-06-2006, 04:26 PM
Would you trade Shaq for Brian Grant and Lamar Odom?-and Caron Butler who they stupidly gave away for Kwame Brown. To answer the other question-NO!!

spurs=bling
07-06-2006, 04:27 PM
http://www.smilieshq.com/smilies/sign0105.gif (http://www.smilieshq.com)

Vinnie_Johnson
07-06-2006, 04:30 PM

That's crazy who would :elephant

Leetonidas
07-06-2006, 04:30 PM
Trading Tim is out of the question.....NOW. He is one of the few NBA players who you could NOT get true value for. Maybe in 5 years, but he would retire before forcing a trade. Would you trade Kobe Bryant for anyone?
Kobe for LeBron or Wade, but Tim for no one, unless by some odd force of nature we're getting Dwight Howard and LeBron out of it.

MrChug
07-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Greg Oden is NOT the next Tim Duncan. The guy is the prototypical center and will be in the NBA. Now he might be a VERY VERY GOOD center, but never will he be considered a versitile leader. I'm a huge fan of the guy, but NEXT to TD, not instead of TD. Tony and someone like Finley maybe, but not TD...F no.

sa_butta
07-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Lakerfan
Believe.

Position: Pass-First Guard
Team: San Antonio Spurs
vBookie Cash: $500
??

Hell no Duncan is a proven All-star and MVP. This guy could be compared to anyone and I would not accept.

tlongII
07-06-2006, 04:43 PM
You would be crazy not to trade Duncan for Oden. He will automatically extend your window of opportunity by at least 10 years.

TDMVPDPOY
07-06-2006, 04:45 PM
You would be crazy not to trade Duncan for Oden. He will automatically extend your window of opportunity by at least 10 years.

i trade everyone besides td

Please_dont_ban_me
07-06-2006, 04:46 PM
That's crazy who would :elephant

Mitch Nutcheck

Then he had the nerve to get on national television after the Heat won it all, and with a straight face say "I would do it all over again the same way".

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Add Kevin Durant,OJ Mayo, and Joakim Noah then we'll consider thinking about it.

baseline bum
07-06-2006, 04:50 PM

Oden's an amazing athlete and a hell of a shot-blocker, but he doesn't have NBA footwork. He'll most likely be an amazing player of HOF level, but I'd never trade a known quantity like Tim for him, especially considering Duncan is one of the top 15-20 players in league history.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Now, let's talk Dwight Howard...and maybe I would at least seriously consider it.

ro_50
07-06-2006, 04:52 PM
No.

Greg Oden has a chance to become a great one, but the way he talks, don't be surprised if he stays more than one year at Ohio St.

ducks
07-06-2006, 05:13 PM
you know what?
oden has bust written all over him
he is not every going to live up to the hype he is getting

let him play a game before you compare him to david robinson

dknights411
07-06-2006, 05:24 PM
http://forumspile.com/Thread-Crap-Parental_Advisory.gif

Spurologist
07-06-2006, 05:34 PM
http://www.thethirteenthstep.com/stfu/caution.jpg

FromWayDowntown
07-06-2006, 06:27 PM
you know what?
oden has bust written all over him
he is not every going to live up to the hype he is getting

let him play a game before you compare him to david robinson

The same ducks who thinks Lebron James is overrated?

ducks
07-06-2006, 06:30 PM
I like oden right now
he has not done anything to tick me off yet
the only think I do not like is when people compare him to david robinson
LET HIM PLAY A GAME BEFORE YOU SAY HE IS DAVID ROBINSON
besides that david is my favorite player and they will never be a david robinson

cherylsteele
07-06-2006, 07:30 PM
There are too many variables to determine that right now.

What happens if Oden has a major injury like a knee blowout or some other catastrophic injury. At this moment....hell no...I'd rather have Nazr back....at least we know he stinks.

Now if somewhere down the line he becomes a solid player and develops in college....then you take that into consideration.

If you want to give up Tim...then do it for DRob's boy...at least he has a pedigree. :rolleyes

Please_dont_ban_me
07-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Gimme' Jameer Nelson and Dwight Howard, and I would have to seriously consider trading Duncan.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-06-2006, 08:03 PM
There are too many variables to determine that right now.

What happens if Oden has a major injury like a knee blowout or some other catastrophic injury. At this moment....hell no...I'd rather have Nazr back....at least we know he stinks.

Now if somewhere down the line he becomes a solid player and develops in college....then you take that into consideration.

If you want to give up Tim...then do it for DRob's boy...at least he has a pedigree. :rolleyes

"Down the line"

You mean when Timmy's value has gone down, and nobody would be interested in giving up there stud for him? At that point in his career we'll only be able to get the caron butlers and the lamar odoms of the league.

RC's Boss
07-06-2006, 08:23 PM
:madrun R U out of your rabid minds?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

MissAllThat
07-06-2006, 08:27 PM
No. You're going from having someone you know is good to a player that might be just as good or better. Thats a gamble I'm not willing to take.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-06-2006, 08:32 PM
Hmmm, HOFer, greatest PF ever to play the game, cornerstone of the franchise, may still have 5 good years in him, for unknown quantity... ummmm, NO!

ducks
07-06-2006, 09:05 PM
Gimme' Jameer Nelson and Dwight Howard, and I would have to seriously consider trading Duncan.

what type of drugs are you own

Please_dont_ban_me
07-06-2006, 09:08 PM
what type of drugs are you own

The kind that don't blur my vision.

I absolutely love Tim Duncan. But with Dwight Howard and Tony Parker you have a team for the next 15 years. With Tim, you have one for 5-7 years. You've won 3 rings already...what's left to prove?

I"m not saying I would do it. But I would definately strongly consider it.

Despot
07-06-2006, 09:09 PM
Dumb question, but does everyone believe that Oden would have been the first pick this year?

cecil collins
07-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Fuck no.

strangeweather
07-06-2006, 10:19 PM
Dumb question, but does everyone believe that Oden would have been the first pick this year?
The talent this year was horrible. Ndudi Ebi might have gotten a look with the first pick.

Mavs_man_41
07-06-2006, 10:53 PM

Lol if i was a spurs fan i would trade duncan for lebron in a heart beat.

Bob Lanier
07-06-2006, 10:56 PM
:lmao

violentkitten
07-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Lol if i was a spurs fan i would trade duncan for lebron in a heart beat.

but the big gay kraut is out of the question

Mavs_man_41
07-06-2006, 11:50 PM
but the big gay kraut is out of the question

LMAO and just who might that be?

polandprzem
07-07-2006, 02:52 AM
In 20 years from now Greg Oden with his 5 championship ring will be laughing at spurs fans and Tim Duncan

jman3000
07-07-2006, 02:56 AM
Our team isn't built to be centered around a guard-type player. It's built to be centered around Tim Duncan and Tim Duncan alone. Any trade, no matter who it is for would jeoporadize all of it.... it's not happening anyway... Duncan retires a Spurs.

polandprzem
07-07-2006, 02:58 AM
Our team isn't built to be centered around a guard-type player. It's built to be centered around Tim Duncan and Tim Duncan alone. Any trade, no matter who it is for would jeoporadize all of it.... it's not happening anyway... Duncan retires a Spurs.

Just like Gervin :)

jman3000
07-07-2006, 03:10 AM
Just like Robinson :)

JamStone
07-07-2006, 08:57 AM
While most Spurs fans would scoff at the idea of trading Tim Duncan for an unproven NBA prospect, the question is also moot on the other side, because for whatever that drafts Greg Oden, it is similarly ridiculous for them to trade away such a prized prospect for an albeit Hall of Famer who is just about to start the downslope of his career.

That being said, if I were Spurs management, I would strongly consider the trade if it was really offered, but only on two conditions: 1) Tim Duncan agreed to it because he was comfortable being traded to the city and franchise that held the rights to Greg Oden, and 2) the Spurs organization and the players were committed to rebuilding for the next couple of years to make sure they develop Greg Oden the best way possible to be the cornerstone for the next decade the same way Duncan was.

p.s. DUCKS, are you saying once Greg Oden plays JUST ONE game in the NBA, you would be cool with people comparing him to David Robinson then? You did say just "one game" before comparing him to David.

ObiwanGinobili
07-07-2006, 09:04 AM
page 2.

wow what an offseason. :lol

kinbenzoo
07-07-2006, 09:35 AM
sure not

bdictjames
07-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Nobody in their right minds would do that.. I wouldn't trade Duncan for anybody in the league right now

SpursChampsIII
07-07-2006, 10:38 AM

SLAP!!! :nutkick:

Obstructed_View
07-07-2006, 11:18 AM
Yep. But only if he goes to college.

cherylsteele
07-07-2006, 03:04 PM
"Down the line"

You mean when Timmy's value has gone down, and nobody would be interested in giving up there stud for him? At that point in his career we'll only be able to get the caron butlers and the lamar odoms of the league.
So you are saying Greg Oden is a sure thing?
What if Oden got injured (on or off the court)and can no longer play?
What makes you so sure that this kid will develop anymore than he has now?

You want the Spurs to put all their eggs in one basket right now and hope for the best?

What if he wants nothing to do with the Spurs at all and refuses to play for us in any way?

zemke
07-08-2006, 03:38 PM
Greg Oden is compared to the next Tim Duncan coming out of college... would you guys ever trade him? Oden is probably the next dominate big man will you take a chance at him if it met to give up Duncan?

No Way, but if I were entertaining the thought then the name would be Chris Bosh plus some boot.

angel_luv
07-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Would I trade Timmy in exchange for these ridiculous threads to stop?

Hmmm................

Just kidding Timmy! :)

The answer to the question is NO!

ChumpDumper
07-08-2006, 03:49 PM
What if he was from Slovenia?

Holt's Cat
07-08-2006, 03:50 PM
Gweg Oden would be on a wookie deal for fowr years. Don't underestimate the awwure of that to Peter.

cecil collins
07-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Overhyped. He won't even be close to Lebron or Amare as far as success out of high school. I think he will eventually be good, but I wouldn't risk one of the best to get him.

Scrooge McHolt
07-08-2006, 03:57 PM
That's actually a hell of an idea. We'd be well under the cap for at least the next four years... Hmmm.

J.T.
07-08-2006, 05:27 PM
No but I would trade Shaq for Lamar Odom and Brian Grant.

baseline bum
07-08-2006, 06:11 PM
In 20 years from now Greg Oden with his 5 championship ring will be laughing at spurs fans and Tim Duncan

In 20 years from now Tim Duncan with his 5 championship rings will be laughing at hating bitches like you.

Oden would jave been the first pick this year at 18, and the first pick last year if he could have entered the draft at 17, and maybe right behind Dwight Howard had he been able to enter the year before at 16... then again, he could have realistically gone ahead of Howard too. This guy has been known as the next Shaq since 2004, and not like Eddy Curry was... everyone has known this guy was a can't miss prospect with no weaknesses for years. He's considered the greatest bigman at his age since Kareem, and he's been considered that for a long time. At least a year and a half. The last three picks that were as can't miss as Oden were LeBron, Tim, and Shaq. Oden is an almost certain Hall of Famer as long as he stays healthy.

Still, Duncan is the GOAT at his position, by a landslide. Oden may end up as good as Tim or Shaq, but that's a hell of a lot to live up to. Perhaps he only becomes another Garnett, Kobe, Wade, Barkley, or Malone. :lol

Quadzilla99
07-08-2006, 06:17 PM
No but I would trade Shaq for Lamar Odom and Brian Grant.
Why does everyone forget Caron Butler was involved in that trade?

baseline bum
07-08-2006, 06:22 PM
Here's an article from 2004 about Oden:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/basketball/2004-07-19-oden_x.htm

Teen anointed next big man
By Malcolm Moran, USA TODAY
TEANECK, N.J. — Just outside the rectangular lines of the basketball court, adults bearing colorful logos, cellular telephones and conflicting agendas surrounded Greg Oden, the 7-foot, 245-pound 16-year-old already proclaimed The Next Great Big Man.

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2004/07/19/inside1-2004-07-19-oden.jpg
Greg Oden also says the words every NCAA basketball coach wants to hear: 'I want to go to college.'

Not long after Oden's sophomore season at Lawrence North High School in Indianapolis, during the period that led to an unprecedented selection of eight high school players in the first 19 slots of the NBA draft, the speculation, private and persistent, was that Oden would have been Commissioner David Stern's first handshake had he been eligible.

Even as the name of the prospective psychology major is placed atop the mock draft lists, circa 2006, Oden sends a 20th-century message no one seems to hear:

"I know what I want to do," Oden said quietly. "I want to go to college."

The words were recorded and scribbled into notepads by those observing him here this month at the annual ABCD camp for high school players. But do they register? Oden averaged 14 points and 10 rebounds and made 71% of his shots for a Lawrence North team that won Indiana's Class 4A championship.

The emerging issue of the 2006 NBA draft is whether Oden remains willing to postpone his fortune.

The night of the draft last month, as Oden watched the high-priced parade of his peers, this is what he was thinking: "I wanted Jameer Nelson to go higher. I just like him. He's a real good player."

The Greg Oden file
Home: Indianapolis
School: Lawrence North High School, 2004 Indiana Class 4A state champion.
Class: 2006
Height: 7-0
Weight: 245
High school statistics: Averaged 14 points, 10 rebounds, 71% shooting for 29-2 Wildcats. Voted first team all-state by Associated Press.
AAU team: Spiece Indy Heat.

That would be the national college player of the year and former point guard at Saint Joseph's. Nelson, a four-year product who took his name out of the 2003 draft to return for an inspiring, undefeated regular season, was rewarded with the No. 20 position, seven costly slots behind high school point guard Sebastian Telfair, whose considerable gifts do not yet include a reliable jump shot.

The more Oden the person was on display, the more his support for Nelson made sense.

As dramatic and imposing as Oden's shot-blocking ability can be, the subtleties to his game include the way he recognizes a teammate's pass after a basket.

As Oden hurries back to the defensive end, he bends his right elbow, holds his right hand near his chest and points to his teammate, a gesture far more personal than theatrical.

His name has already been placed on the short list alongside Indiana's reverence-requiring products Oscar Robertson and Larry Bird. When asked to evaluate his play at the camp, Oden said, "We won. It's a team sport so you've got to keep it that way."

Mike Conley, the Olympic gold medal-winning triple jumper, coaches Oden's AAU basketball team. His son, Mike, is an AAU and high school teammate.

"In Greg's eyes, he has a whole lot to improve on," the elder Conley said. "It's not like he is the end-all. He's not into the hype, the showboating that other kids are into."

Against the norm

At one end of the Rothman Center at Fairleigh Dickinson University, banners honored past most valuable ABCD campers whose stories capture an industry's risks and rewards.

Kobe Bryant made passing on young talent another headache for NBA executives. Leon Smith, whose brief NBA career followed a painfully difficult adolescence, attempted suicide. LeBron James rescued a franchise and became a conglomerate. Lenny Cooke, a gifted young player who declared for the draft much too soon, is far closer to obscurity than the spotlight.

Nearby, a sign held a reminder:

"Attention NCAA college coaches: This is an evaluation period. No contact with players allowed."

Throughout the gym, coaches wearing college logos could not discuss recruits and scouts wearing NBA logos could not talk about underclassmen.

Matt Doherty, the former Notre Dame and North Carolina coach and now a television commentator, was a coach at the camp and a rare credible, unmuted voice. Doherty coached against Oden's team in the first game the prospect played at the camp and later listed his observations.

"His maturity," Doherty said. "His disposition. Very even-tempered on the floor. He never got frustrated. He maintained his composure. And in the second half, he broke out."

Doherty pauses. "And the other thing is, he held the door for me. Twice."

A current college coach, who is prohibited by NCAA rules from talking for attribution about prospects, said of Oden, "He's the most humble player I've ever met. Good player, bad, anyone."

In the rapidly evolving get-rich-quick culture of the early-entry era, Oden has quietly revealed a personal approach with as much throwback appeal as the expensive old-time jerseys worn by fans in the stands.

"I really have no offensive skills," Oden said during a week in which he made 26 of 30 shots, averaging 8.9 points.

Under rules that required each camper play at least two quarters a game, Oden averaged 5.3 rebounds and 1.7 blocked shots.

Conley remembers an episode when Oden was in seventh grade.

"He wasn't playing as well as I'd have liked," Conley said. "I told him I was going to not start him in a game. That very next game, he just emerged.

"It was at that point I saw the light switch come on. He began to grab more offensive rebounds. He blocked shots 2 feet above the rim."

Intense interest

All around, as players considered their potential draft status, Oden repeated his college intentions.

Doherty remembers hearing a similar message when he recruited Dwight Howard, this year's No. 1 choice in the NBA draft, for North Carolina.

"His dad told me, 'He's going to go to college,'" Doherty said. "And I said to myself, 'You don't know it yet, but he's going to the NBA.'"

The overall assessment of Oden is undisputed. The issue is whether a college recruiter's effort will just become a waste.

"He wants to experience that," Conley said of college.

"At the same time, if he's at a level where he can make a difference in the league and it's in his best interest to look at that, I'm sure (entering the draft) is not something he and his family are going to rule out today."

A minor injury to his right ankle, suffered when Oden attempted to block a shot, kept him out of an all-star game during camp and produced a reminder of how quickly everything can change.

When Oden's game was switched to a different court moments before tip-off on a Saturday night of the ABCD camp, Indiana University coach Mike Davis moved from a conspicuous seat behind a basket to an equally conspicuous seat near the new court. He cannot discuss Oden, but the conspicuous attentiveness and his strategic body language did enough talking.

Less than a month after Hoosiers recruit Josh Smith became a first-round NBA pick, Davis has attended each of Oden's games. With Oden living in the Hoosier state, it would not be a surprise if that routine extends through the next two years.

Revisions in the NBA collective bargaining agreement next year could complicate Oden's eventual decision.

A baseball-style mandatory two- or three-year stay for players who enroll in college could push Oden toward the pros. A 20-year-old age limit in the NBA could force him toward college after all.

Does Oden know how he plans to obtain and sort through the essential information to make a decision?

"I have no idea," he said.

"He might be just the type of kid that bucks the trend," Doherty said.

Would he? Could he?

A few feet from a court, Doherty was talking about Oden's refusal to let an older person hold the door when the center walked by.

Doherty pointed to his head.

"Is it because of the gray hair?" he said, and Oden smiled.

The former college coach had a message for the future star.

"Don't let this game change you," Doherty told Oden. "You change the game."

ducks
07-08-2006, 06:59 PM
"I really have no offensive skills," Oden said during a week in which he made 26 of 30 shots, averaging 8.9 points.

yep he sounds like david robinson

angel_luv
07-08-2006, 07:29 PM
What if he was from Slovenia?

Not even for that. :)

shaggy17
07-09-2006, 05:44 AM
Yes We would trade the rights of Timmy for Oden because of the great amount of cash we save along with cap space :elephant

-Spurs Front Office

Parker 09
07-09-2006, 07:37 AM
I would give almost anything to get greg oden, except timmy