PDA

View Full Version : Blockbuster Trade Involving The Spurs?

Pages : [1] 2

timvp
07-10-2006, 04:37 AM
That is what KSAT is reporting. Simmons said that the Spurs could be working on a large multi-team trade with the Golden State Warriors involving Devin Brown ... but Devin wouldn't be coming to the Spurs.

I wouldn't put much stock in a KSAT rumor but Devin very well could have tipped them off because he's a frequent guest on Instant Replay (the station's Sunday sports show). Plus it was too specific for Simmons to just pull out of his azz.

We've been hearing that Barry is a player that Golden State has wanted for a while. I'm not sure what the Spurs could be getting. Troy Murphy? Mickaël Pietrus? Perhaps it could be the third team who is supplying the player.

Hmmm...

Kori Ellis
07-10-2006, 04:40 AM
The only weird thing is that Devin can't be involved in a package deal for 2 more months, right?

Odd.

Interesting, but odd.

Streakyshooter08
07-10-2006, 04:42 AM
When could the trade go through the earliest? Devin just got traded so it would take at least 2 months if he is a part of a package, right?

GS is rumored to land Harrington, so it might be Atlanta, GS and SA? Would be nice if a player like Murphy, Childress or even Josh Smith (which is impossible I think) ends up in SA...

Bruno
07-10-2006, 04:43 AM
The only weird thing is that Devin can't be involved in a package deal for 2 more months, right?

Devin has not been traded for the moment.
His trade will happen on July 12st, so GS can turn the Utah/GS trade as a part of a bigger deal.

MI21
07-10-2006, 04:43 AM
Jason Richardson :)

Hmmmm, Warriors have a lot of pieces. They have a large 3 in Dunleavy with an awful contract. A nice 4 in Murphy with a bad contract. Pietrus would work out with the Spurs.

Interesting.

MI21
07-10-2006, 04:44 AM
Good point mentioned above, Atlanta have an abundance of large young SF's.

No way they give away Josh Smith though, 15PPG 8RPG 4APG after the All-Star breeak whilst blocking shots. They would be nuts to rid themselves of him.

TDMVPDPOY
07-10-2006, 04:46 AM
only pietrus, childress, marvin williams. josh smith is the player i would like don the spurs jersey,

only way hawks can accept a deal is players on 1 year contracts or expiring, so bye bye barry, horry, orb, beno,

timvp
07-10-2006, 04:46 AM

Odd.

Interesting, but odd.

Yeah I can't figure it out. If Devin is involved, that's the only player that the Warriors can be sending out.

Maybe something like:

Warriors get Al Harrington
Spurs get Mike Pietrus
Hawks get Devin Brown, Eric Williams, a Warriors first rounder, cash from the Warriors and Luis Scola

Hawks could then waive Devin (his contract is mostly unguaranteed), use the cash in the trade to waive Williams and then just go with the pick and Scola as compensation for doing the sign-and-trade.

MI21
07-10-2006, 04:47 AM
only way hawks can accept a deal is players on 1 year contracts or expiring, so bye bye barry, horry, orb, beno,

If its 3 way between GS, ATL and SA, then it may not be the Spurs player going to Atlanta.

This all seems unrealistic, but it is fun to speculate never the less.

Kori Ellis
07-10-2006, 04:52 AM
I was under the assumption that Hotlanta was unable to do sign and trades...

They can for players with 1-year contracts only.

whottt
07-10-2006, 04:55 AM
Dunleavy Junior would probably be who we end up with.

Nbadan
07-10-2006, 04:58 AM
I thought they were restricted to signing new free agents to one year contracts, but were allowed to sign-and-trade Harrington for players with multi-year contracts since he was once already under contract with them. Am I wrong?

timvp
07-10-2006, 04:59 AM
Okay, this is pretty complicated but it works.

Spurs get Mickael Pietrus
Jazz get Derek Fisher
Hawks get Eric Williams, Devin Brown, Andre Owens, Keith McLeod, Luis Scola, 1st Round Pick and Cash

Hawks get four players in the last year of their contracts. Everyone else gets who they wanted.

whottt
07-10-2006, 05:00 AM

Jazz get Derek Fisher
Hawks get Eric Williams, Devin Brown, Andre Owens, Keith McLeod, Luis Scola, 1st Round Pick and Cash

Hawks get four players in the last year of their contracts. Everyone else gets who they wanted.

Seems like wishful thinking to me...why would the Warriors give us a player that doesn't really suck?

It'll somehow be for Dunleavy...doesn't his contract expire after this year?

Kori Ellis
I thought they were restricted to signing new free agents to one year contracts, but were allowed to sign-and-trade Harrington for players with multi-year contracts since he was once already under contract with them. Am I wrong?

How I understand it ... They can sign-and-trade Harrington but only take back players on a one-year deal, unless they were already in the midst of the specific trade talks when the ruling happened.

timvp
Seems like wishful thinking to me...why would the Warriors give us a player that doesn't really suck?

His contract is huge and ends like in 2020.

whottt
07-10-2006, 05:01 AM
How would that solve any of our needs? He can't play the point and cannot play center/power foward. He is a bigger version of Barry that gets paid more and struggles on defense. He has confidence issues as well.

He can play SF...

whottt
07-10-2006, 05:02 AM
Ok well good then...because I don't want fucking Dunleavy. And neither should anyone else...including Golden State and the Hawks...

Edit: What's funny is that I didn't want Dunleavy even before I knew he had a shitty contract...

T Park
Wow, I finish watching the Cards Astros replay and I come to this?

Quite interesting.

Although getting Pietrus IMO wouldn't be "blockbuster"

I guess the "size" of the trade would make it one.

Hopefully this doesn't involve Cleveland and Tony Parker.

Kori Ellis

He signed a five year extension last fall.

timvp
The only reason the trade makes sense is if the Hawks covet Scola. Perhaps they do since I've noticed that they've drafted for overseas players a couple times in the last few years.

It's a stretch but it's as good a guess as I can make on what could be happening. Perhaps Brent Barry is involved and the trade is even bigger and more complicated.

Kori Ellis
07-10-2006, 05:03 AM
That would financially work?

That is a shitload of players for the Hawks. I wouldnt mind this trade at all. I just dont see the Hawks getting that many players.

Hawks are under the cap so they can take back more contracts then they send out (as long as they are one year contracts). They need players to fill out their roster.

whottt
07-10-2006, 05:04 AM
He is the polar opposite of Bruce Bowen. I think the Spurs front office is smarter than that.

Steve Smith

And Bruce is going to be 80 years old next year.

timvp
07-10-2006, 05:04 AM
That would financially work?

That is a shitload of players for the Hawks. I wouldnt mind this trade at all. I just dont see the Hawks getting that many players.

Brown and Owens are unguaranteed. Williams could be waived with the cash involved in the trade. McLeod they could keep and use a backup point.

Nbadan
07-10-2006, 05:05 AM

Jazz get Derek Fisher

:lol

That's too complicated for KSAT News. Pietrus is a Spurs wet dream.

T Park
07-10-2006, 05:06 AM
Ya never know.

The old saying of "gretzky getting traded means everyone is available" could apply here....

Kori Ellis
07-10-2006, 05:06 AM
Ya never know.

The old saying of "gretzky getting traded means everyone is available" could apply here....

Now you are going off of some guy talking about something on a rap forum?

T Park
07-10-2006, 05:07 AM
For the love of Pete.

PLEASE, let it involve Troy Murphy coming to the Spurs.

Would Murphy be worth though, Barry AND Williams?

Youd have the MLE, to spend on an.....

I guess Jumaine Jones or Jeffries, but dang, that would be thinning the wings pretty thin.

timvp
07-10-2006, 05:07 AM
Or this could be a trade where the Spurs get the best center ever according to the Express-News.

Jason Collins' brother :elephant

T Park
07-10-2006, 05:08 AM
Now you are going off of some guy talking about something on a rap forum?

Didn't even see where that was posted, just saw the thread.

Sorry.

whottt
07-10-2006, 05:08 AM
Steve Smith was a SG. What I meant to say is why would the Spurs invest in Dunleavy when he clearly does not fit into the system. While Dunleavy is a big three at 6'9 230 lbs, he is not what the Spurs are looking for. At least I hope not!

Point about Smitty is that the Spurs will take a shitty player if their backs are against the wall...either in terms of need or capspace.

And like I said...Bruce is getting old.

Kori Ellis
07-10-2006, 05:09 AM
Or this could be a trade where the Spurs get the best center ever according to the Express-News.

Jason Collins' brother :elephant

Or it could be just Greg Simmons talking nonsense, just to be able to lead into the story about Devin Brown's camp in San Antonio starting tomorrow.

:elephant :elephant :elephant

Nbadan
07-10-2006, 05:10 AM
How I understand it ... They can sign-and-trade Harrington but only take back players on a one-year deal, unless they were already in the midst of the specific trade talks when the ruling happened.

That can't be right. Harrington's lawyer and the NBA union would be shitting bricks and would already have legal challenges claiming that Harrington was being financially hurt by the ownership ruling, and he'd have a case.

whottt
07-10-2006, 05:10 AM
Troy Murphy or Pietrus would be the best case scenario...

Since when do the Spurs get the good end of the best case scenario in trades?

Never...since about 81.

timvp
07-10-2006, 05:12 AM
LJ, what did you actually hear this Simmons guy say?

I already pretty much covered it. He said according to a source the Spurs could be involved in a blockbuster trade involving Devin Brown but that Devin wouldn't be coming back to San Antonio.

Kori Ellis
07-10-2006, 05:12 AM
That can't be right. Harrington's lawyer and the NBA union would be shitting bricks and would already have legal challenges claiming that Harrington was being financially hurt by the ownership ruling, and he'd have a case.

It's true.

This stipulation is going to make it very difficult for the Hawks to do anything with Harrington. Their options include letting him walk away as a free agent, which means the Hawks get no compensation for him and Harrington gets less money than he would in a sign-and-trade. They can pull off a trade with a team they were already dealing with, saying that the terms were agreed upon prior to the judge's ruling. Or, they can appeal the ruling, which could open up another can of worms and put Steve Belkin a step closer to taking over the team.

whottt
07-10-2006, 05:13 AM
I already pretty much covered it. He said according to a source the Spurs could be involved in a blockbuster trade involving Devin Brown but that Devin wouldn't be coming back to San Antonio.

And this begs the question...

When was the last time someone reported a rumor about a trade the Spurs were working on that turned out to be accurate?

T Park
07-10-2006, 05:14 AM
Wait, Simmons?

Ok, I can go to bed, its bullshit.

Nbadan
07-10-2006, 05:15 AM
I can't believe that the NBA Union and Harrington's agent haven't pressed the ownership to appeal this ruling. It seems very unfair to Harrington through no fault of his own.

Kori Ellis
07-10-2006, 05:21 AM
I can't believe that the NBA Union and Harrington's agent haven't pressed the ownership to appeal this ruling. It seems very unfair to Harrington through no fault of his own.

Well maybe any deal that's going down with him has already been in the works, so it will be able to go through anyway.

T Park
07-10-2006, 05:28 AM
Baron Davis.

Mark in Austin
07-10-2006, 05:34 AM
Hmmm... Pietrus has the defensive chops... but is worse offensively than Bowen from what I've seen (which admittedly isn't much). And at 6'6" he wouldn't be the mythical "long 3" everybody is looking for.

Streakyshooter08
07-10-2006, 05:36 AM
I really have the feeling that come july 12th the Spurs will be involved in some kind of trade that nobody expects. It has been quiet because they are not able to complete the trades before the 12th. It might be once again a surprise and I hope it will be a good one...

timvp
07-10-2006, 05:36 AM
And this begs the question...

When was the last time someone reported a rumor about a trade the Spurs were working on that turned out to be accurate?

Ironically enough, KSAT broke the Steve Smith trade back in the day.

:drunk

T Park
07-10-2006, 05:44 AM
Wasn't it KSAT that was doing a daily fellatio with Derek Anderson at his house in Kentucky?

Mark in Austin
07-10-2006, 05:44 AM
Ironically enough, KSAT broke the Steve Smith trade back in the day.

:drunk

Well, like Rasheed said: "The sun even shines on a dog's ass some days."

Bruno
07-10-2006, 05:54 AM

Jazz get Derek Fisher

I don't see hawks having an interest in Keith McLeod and his guaranteed salary with Lue, Claxton, Stoudamire and Ivey.
I rather send McLeod to SA. He can be a good 3rd string PG.

I don't see too Warriors signing Harrington without dumping one of their big contract. Why not Murphy for Barry+Oberto in a separate trade ?

Spurs 06-07 :
PG : Parker/Udrih/McLeod
SG : Ginobili/Pietrus
SF : Bowen/Finley
PF : Murphy/Horry/Bonner
C : Duncan/Javtokas

Then sign a third string C and a project SF for the min.

timvp
07-10-2006, 06:05 AM
I don't see hawks having an interest in Keith McLeod and his guaranteed salary with Lue, Claxton, Stoudamire and Ivey.
I rather send McLeod to SA. He can be a good 3rd string PG.

I don't see too Warriors signing Harrington without dumping one of their big contract. Why not Murphy for Barry+Oberto in a separate trade ?

Spurs 06-07 :
PG : Parker/Udrih/McLeod
SG : Ginobili/Pietrus
SF : Bowen/Finley
PF : Murphy/Horry/Bonner
C : Duncan/Javtokas

Then sign a third string C and a project SF for the min.

If Murphy is involved, it could be something like this:

Spurs get Murphy and McLeod
Golden State gets Harrington, Barry and Oberto
Utah gets Derek Fisher
Atlanta gets Devin Brown, Andre Owen, Melvin Sanders and picks/cash

Bruno
07-10-2006, 06:09 AM
If Murphy is involved, it could be something like this:

Spurs get Murphy and McLeod
Golden State gets Harrington, Barry and Oberto
Utah gets Derek Fisher
Atlanta gets Devin Brown, Andre Owen, Melvin Sanders and picks/cash
Make some sense too.

BTW, Only players from Warriors I don't want are Dunleavy and Foyle.

timvp
07-10-2006, 06:11 AM
The only problem with Murphy is his 5-year, $51M contract. Would the Spurs take that on?

Holt might faint.

timvp
07-10-2006, 06:17 AM
Warriors eye forward
Mullin might be trying to trade for Harrington

Janny Hu, Chronicle Staff Writer

Las Vegas -- The free-agency sweepstakes kicked up a notch Sunday with the arrival of Andy Miller, who represents Al Harrington, Kevin Garnett and Patrick O'Bryant. All three command the Warriors' attention for obvious reasons, but it's the first of Miller's clients who is most important at the moment.

Harrington is among about six players Golden State officials identified after the regular season as targets for acquisition, according to a league source. In April, vice president Chris Mullin all but guaranteed that his roster would not return intact, and he since has been among the league's busiest executives.

Golden State already has an agreement in place to send guard Derek Fisher to the Jazz. The move can be finalized Wednesday, and it's safe to say the Warriors will not be done dealing then.

"How can we be?" said Mullin, who would not confirm the Fisher trade.

Mullin could be derailed if a discussed deal falls through, because the Warriors' offseason moves appear to be linked. Their trade with Utah gives them three smaller salaries to use as trading options, and they can gather more by packaging a big-money player such as Troy Murphy with cheaper talent like Mickael Pietrus and Andris Biedrins.

The path to Harrington requires a sign-and-trade, most likely involving a third team, because the Warriors are over the salary cap. The most Golden State can offer the Hawks' forward is the mid-level exception worth about $5.1 million, which represents a significant cut from the $7 million he made last season.

The Warriors also could face a legal roadblock: A court ruling last week prohibits the Hawks from initiating transactions that involve multiyear deals for players other than draft picks.

It's unclear whether the Hawks will be allowed to sign Harrington to a long-term deal, even for the purpose of trading him, or if they will be forced to take back players only in the final years of their contracts.

Miller told The Chronicle last week that his client was interested in joining the Warriors. He reiterated Harrington's desire Sunday and said the Warriors were among "a handful" of teams under consideration.

Miller chatted briefly with Mullin while the Warriors scrimmaged against the Pistons next to Cox Pavilion, but spent most of his time on the phone. He later was seen meeting and greeting Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy and Toronto general manager Bryan Colangelo, among others.

Harrington, a 6-foot-9, 245-pounder, would fill the Warriors' desire for frontcourt athleticism. He can play both forward positions and averaged a career-best 18.6 points and 5.8 rebounds per game last season.

He is among the highest-profile free agents remaining after Ben Wallace, Jason Terry, Nene, and Peja Stojakovic were taken off the market. The Pacers are under pressure to make an impact deal after Stojakovic's departure, which leaves them nothing to show for the Ron Artest trade.

Harrington played the first six years of his career in Indiana and a reunion there isn't out of the question. The Pacers also could be involved in a three-way deal with Atlanta and Golden State. Miller expects a quick resolution.

"I think things are going to happen in a timely fashion," he said. "Now what timely defines as, I think there's other variables that come into play and make that call. But I think it's going to happen sooner rather than later."

Moves start becoming official on Wednesday, and the Warriors could be busy for the entire offseason.

"We're looking to get better," Mullin said. "It's not hoping. We're going to get better."

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2006/07/10/SPGLHJSHUD1.DTL

Sounds like Simmons could be right for once.

:smokin

timvp
07-10-2006, 06:20 AM
Andris Biedrins is going to be a damn good center one day. He can rebound and block shots at a high level. He's young but he's a player I'd love to see on the Spurs.

smeagol
07-10-2006, 06:23 AM
Guys, it's 7 AM. Go to bed! :spin

dimsah
07-10-2006, 06:25 AM
I can see GS wanting to ship Murphy to get rid of the contract and get Diogu more minutes. They would still have Cabarkapa to back up Diogu.
GS seems to be attempting to purge a lot of salary with Murphy, and Fisher on the block. I don't know why they would want to dump Pietrus though unless it's filler just to make another deal go through.

Streakyshooter08
07-10-2006, 06:25 AM
Andris Biedrins is going to be a damn good center one day. He can rebound and block shots at a high level. He's young but he's a player I'd love to see on the Spurs.

Yeah, he really had some good games last year for them. I wonder waht is contract is like. I think a lot is going to happen this week.

Bruno
07-10-2006, 06:57 AM
The only problem with Murphy is his 5-year, $51M contract. Would the Spurs take that on?

Holt might faint.

Don't know but we dump too Barry and Oberto contracts. This trade cost $35M to Spurs.

MI21
07-10-2006, 07:23 AM
Damn, timvp beat me to it.

Biedrens is a good player, had a bunch of good games and is still only 19 from memory. There was one play last year where he took someone off the dribble from the top of the key and gave a statue of liberty on a whole team. He is very talented and I would love him on the Spurs.

TDMVPDPOY
07-10-2006, 07:35 AM
i expect the spurs to get a player from the hawks in return, since we are goin to give away alot of players contracts expirin and scolas rights.

FromWayDowntown
07-10-2006, 08:14 AM
If the Spurs can get in on the deal and can mine from it a player like Murphy, Pietrus, or one of Atlanta's long young wings, I think they have to pull the trigger, particularly if they can rid themselves of a salary like Barry's, which they'd almost have to do to be involved. If it's Biedrens, all the better. I'd think Murphy, despite his contract, would be a nice compliment to the current roster and not a redundant piece. Pietrus IMO would be the acquisition of talent more than a trade to address a need. Any of those options, however, would be preferrable to stagnation.

davi78239
07-10-2006, 08:29 AM
You know what guys, I had a dream last night that I was watching a spurs game and Brent Barry was on the opposing team, meaning that we had traded him. The only problem is that I forgot which team and who we even got. Maybe I sign of things to come in the future. By the way, is Josh Smith the dude with the frow that played for Stanford? I remember him when they played UTSA in the tournament 2 years back. He is pretty good and would be nice to see him in silver and black.

MajorMike
07-10-2006, 08:32 AM
I know the Spurs HIGHLY covet Murphy.

Duncanoypi
07-10-2006, 08:35 AM
You know what guys, I had a dream last night that I was watching a spurs game and Brent Barry was on the opposing team, meaning that we had traded him. The only problem is that I forgot which team and who we even got. Maybe I sign of things to come in the future. By the way, is Josh Smith the dude with the frow that played for Stanford? I remember him when they played UTSA in the tournament 2 years back. He is pretty good and would be nice to see him in silver and black.

are you talking about Josh Childress?

ducks
07-10-2006, 08:37 AM
hawks would haved 4 players that their contracts end
they if they win the court order could trade those to teams that want to have room to go after a fa with cap room

davi78239
07-10-2006, 08:41 AM
are you talking about Josh Childress?

Oh yea, that's his name. Wrong person, my badd. So who's josh smith then?

CharlieMac
07-10-2006, 08:42 AM
Kind of interesting that the Hawks are getting involved now since they are having issues between the 3 owners.

Mr. Body
07-10-2006, 08:43 AM
It's funny. This is the same trade I came up with in another place late last night. San Antonio can opportunistically help GSW get a hefty expiring contract to get Harrington and work on getting Mikael Pietrus in return. There are incentives for Atlanta to make it work.

If the Spurs translated Eric Williams into Pietrus, even giving up Scola or whatever, I'd piss myself in joy. The guy has to be shortlisted by the team as a Bowen replacement.

Troy Murphy is far less likely. I can't see the Spurs taking on four $10M+ contracts.

ducks
07-10-2006, 09:08 AM
did anyone listen to espn last night?
was it reported there?

PM5K
07-10-2006, 09:17 AM
I'm a little confused, I thought that in order for a trade to be considered "Blockbuster" that really good players had to be involved, for example Manu for KG.

I guess if enough teams and players are involved it could be considered blockbuster as well...

J.T.
07-10-2006, 09:18 AM
Troy Murphy on the Spurs? Dude, sign me up!

Mr. Body
07-10-2006, 09:19 AM
There's no legal definition of 'blockbuster' so far as I understand. That was just a term used by the SA station, I believe.

Extra Stout
07-10-2006, 09:27 AM
The way this works is that one of Rod Thorn's minions reads this thread, then Thorn calls around to see if there's any truth to it, and if so, then the Nets try to disrupt the trade.

picnroll
07-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Ditto.

furry_spurry
07-10-2006, 09:28 AM
Que Gee- who I trust in all things Brent Barry related- mentioned the talks of Barry going to GS for Pietrus- but the Spurs would have to take on a bloated contract to do so- at the time Fisher. Would they take on Murphy's contract--he is set to make more than Manu! GS is not giving away Biedrens.

Experience has shown that once news like this hits the media- the deal is usually already fallen through. Did they report on Rasho's trade that had been worked out days in advance, just waiting for Williams to exercise his option?

Mr. Body
07-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Que Gee- who I trust in all things Brent Barry related- mentioned the talks of Barry going to GS for Pietrus- but the Spurs would have to take on a bloated contract to do so- at the time Fisher. Would they take on Murphy's contract--he is set to make more than Manu! GS is not giving away Biedrens.

Experience has shown that once news like this hits the media- the deal is usually already fallen through. Did they report on Rasho's trade that had been worked out days in advance, just waiting for Williams to exercise his option?

Details on the Rasho trade had started floating out from the Toronto trade a little bit before it went through. At first the thought was Oberto for Bonner straight up.

It seems information of this proposed deal has come out of Golden State.

Spurs Dynasty 21
Troy Murphy in SA?

again, wet dreams

Slinkyman

Nobody cares about Rasho, Bonner or Williams. I think it's 50/50 when a trade hits the media that it may happen, remember the rumors last year about Miami getting walker, then that trade became a huge deal between like 5 or 6 teams right? anyway, the deal could already be done but GS had wait until the 12th to send off Fisher so maybe other teams got in on that deal.

cheguevara
07-10-2006, 09:33 AM
:lol so now a trade involving Barry and Devin Brown is a blockbuster? :lol

Spurs Dynasty 21
07-10-2006, 09:36 AM
exactly, misleading title

furry_spurry
07-10-2006, 09:37 AM
I am talking about the SA media-- they never know anything.

picnroll
07-10-2006, 09:40 AM
Can't see the Spurs taking Murphy. It doesn't fit their '08 plans and I think they've learned their lesson in taking on contracts that are near impossible to move.

1Parker1
07-10-2006, 09:42 AM
:lol so now a trade involving Barry and Devin Brown is a blockbuster? :lol

Well, it involves several different players from 3 teams....that's considered Blockbuster in NBA terms.

MoSpur
07-10-2006, 09:46 AM
I would only want Barry to leave if involves a long three and a point guard in return because of the fact that we could use Barry as a backup PG.

Spurologist
07-10-2006, 09:49 AM
At least the spurs front bureau isn't sitting on their ass watching the summer sizzle away

2Cleva
07-10-2006, 09:55 AM
I heard the following:

Harrington to GS
Pietrus to SA
Eric Williams to ATL

If so, grand larceny by the Spurs

MI21
07-10-2006, 09:59 AM
I heard the following:

Harrington to GS
Pietrus to SA
Eric Williams to ATL

That would just be ridiculous.

Very happy if that was to happen :elephant

ducks
07-10-2006, 10:01 AM
I heard the following:

Harrington to GS
Pietrus to SA
Eric Williams to ATL

where on espn?

Extra Stout
07-10-2006, 10:02 AM
Pietrus for Williams? Holy crap.

Streakyshooter08
07-10-2006, 10:03 AM
I heard the following:

Harrington to GS
Pietrus to SA
Eric Williams to ATL

Would that work? Good for SA and GS I don't see why Atl. would do it? To clear more cap space?

Mr. Body
07-10-2006, 10:07 AM
Would that work? Good for SA and GS I don't see why Atl. would do it? To clear more cap space?

It was proposed upthread. You should look back.

To recap:

Atlanta can only receive expiring contracts as per order of the court during their ownership battle. GSW wants Harrington and will get him for more than the MLE. With expirings from the Utah trade, San Antonio joins in with Williams' contract. All the expiring contracts go to Atlanta and make up Harrington's S&T salary.

To make it easier for Atlanta to handle, some of the contracts (Devin Browns') are not fully guaranteed, so the cost of the actual contract is far less when he is waived. Money can be sent Atlanta's way to defray further costs. And then draft picks/the rights to Scola could be combined to finish it off.

It's all predicated on the Warriors sending Pietrus to SAS for the use of Eric Williams' contract. That seems a little too amazing, so unlikely, even if they do get their man Al Harrington out of it -- and they wind up upgrading from Pietrus to him and not losing any important other players.

Maybe it's doable.

2Cleva
07-10-2006, 10:09 AM
I'm guessing GS would deal Murphy or Dunleavy too. They have to ease the contracts they have and Pietrus was supposedly the bait for taking Murphy earlier in the summer.

MoSpur
07-10-2006, 10:11 AM
I hope this goes down. That would be awesome. We'd still keep Barry.

Mr. Body
07-10-2006, 10:12 AM
I'm guessing GS would deal Murphy or Dunleavy too. They have to ease the contracts they have and Pietrus was supposedly the bait for taking Murphy earlier in the summer.

Not in this trade. The only reason I don't think GS does it is because Pietrus is one of their few cheap tradeable assets. They want to bundle him with a crap contract, as you say.

Murphy actually has value. Dunleavy has cost, no value.

Streakyshooter08
07-10-2006, 10:16 AM
It was proposed upthread. You should look back.

To recap:

Atlanta can only receive expiring contracts as per order of the court during their ownership battle. GSW wants Harrington and will get him for more than the MLE. With expirings from the Utah trade, San Antonio joins in with Williams' contract. All the expiring contracts go to Atlanta and make up Harrington's S&T salary.

To make it easier for Atlanta to handle, some of the contracts (Devin Browns') are not fully guaranteed, so the cost of the actual contract is far less when he is waived. Money can be sent Atlanta's way to defray further costs. And then draft picks/the rights to Scola could be combined to finish it off.

It's all predicated on the Warriors sending Pietrus to SAS for the use of Eric Williams' contract. That seems a little too amazing, so unlikely, even if they do get their man Al Harrington out of it -- and they wind up upgrading from Pietrus to him and not losing any important other players.

Maybe it's doable.

Thanks a lot!

violentkitten
07-10-2006, 10:23 AM
spurs need to be compensated for taking on troy's contract so that's why they may make out from a basketball standpoint on a trade.

PM5K
07-10-2006, 10:23 AM
At least the spurs front bureau isn't sitting on their ass watching the summer sizzle away

You are an idiot if you ever thought they were, why do you think they call him CIA Pop?

Mr. Body
07-10-2006, 10:25 AM
spurs need to be compensated for taking on troy's contract so that's why they may make out from a basketball standpoint on a trade.

They're not taking on Troy Murphy's contract.

This is a SpursTalk pipe dream.

The Spurs WILL NOT take on four contracts costing $10M+ a season. Not to mention Duncan's is approaching $20M.

That's about $50M per season for four players.

They would have to get rid of Parker or Ginobili in order to take on Troy Murphy.

leemajors
07-10-2006, 10:26 AM
what is pietrus' wingspan?

1Parker1
07-10-2006, 10:29 AM
I heard the following:

Harrington to GS
Pietrus to SA
Eric Williams to ATL

What? And who do the Spurs have to give up/trade? Where's Brent/Beno/Oberto in that trade?

tlongII
07-10-2006, 10:42 AM
I don't believe the Spurs are involved in this deal...

Al Harrington: Sign-and-Trade to Golden State?

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com

Monday, July 10, 2006

Update: The Warriors appear to be close to acquiring Harrington in a sign-and-trade deal with Atlanta, the San Jose Mercury News reports. If Atlanta and Golden State do come to an agreement, the Hawks would likely acquire Troy Murphy and/or Mickael Pietrus. When asked if a deal would be done in the near future, Warriors representative Chris Mullin said, "give us a few days."

picnroll
07-10-2006, 10:46 AM
No way Spurs`s take on Murphy's contract for Pietrus. Next year Pietrus is in a`qaulifyng year so Spurs would have to renegotiate his contract. That would mean taking on Murphy's contract that runs`through 2011 for a`one year rental on Pietrus.

Atlanta would be eqaully stupid taking on Pietrus and Murphy but they've been known to be stupid before. If Atlanta takes on Murphy they should insist on Biendrins rather than Pietrus. Not as if the Hawks don't have enough swing players already.

SenorSpur
07-10-2006, 10:51 AM
For what it's worth, here's the book on Troyu Murphy (numbers nad milestones). He's big and he's a stud. But as has already been stated he makes a ton of money.

Position: F
Born: May 2, 1980
Height: 6-11
Weight: 245 lbs

- 44 career double-doubles (point-rebound) entering 2004-05
- Five 20-point/10-rebound games and two 10-point/20-rebound performances
- 10-or-more rebounds 51 times, with two 20-rebound efforts

05-06 Stats
PPG - 14.0
RPG - 10.00
APG - 1.4
BPG - .35

04-05 stats
PPG - 15.4
RPG - 10.8
APG - 1.4
BPG - .47

03-04 Stats (only played 28 games)
PPG - 10.0
RPG - 6.2
APG - .07
BPG - .61

02-03 Stats
PPG - 11.7
RPG - 10.2
APG - 1.4
BPG - .38

Career Stats:
PPG - 11.4
RPG - 8.4
APG - 1.2
BPG - .30

Mr. Body
07-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Al Harrington: Sign-and-Trade to Golden State?

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com

Monday, July 10, 2006

Update: The Warriors appear to be close to acquiring Harrington in a sign-and-trade deal with Atlanta, the San Jose Mercury News reports. If Atlanta and Golden State do come to an agreement, the Hawks would likely acquire Troy Murphy and/or Mickael Pietrus. When asked if a deal would be done in the near future, Warriors representative Chris Mullin said, "give us a few days."

As now restricted, this cannot work. Atlanta cannot take on contracts lasting more than one year.

dimsah
07-10-2006, 10:55 AM
As now restricted, this cannot work. Atlanta cannot take on contracts lasting more than one year.
Unless the deal was in the works before the ruling came down. I believe.

waly.mg
07-10-2006, 10:55 AM

The Spurs WILL NOT take on four contracts costing $10M+ a season. Not to mention Duncan's is approaching $20M.

They would have to get rid of Parker or Ginobili in order to take on Troy Murphy.

4 Contracts and All the Salary Cap, so all the other contract weights like 2, 1 in Cash and the other in Luxury Tax

George Gervin's Afro
07-10-2006, 11:00 AM
Has anyone thought that this trade may not involve us at all? The CIA aspect of the Spurs front office works both ways...

Big P
07-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Any trade involving 3 or more teams is always a blockbuster trade by NBA standards.

Mr. Body
07-10-2006, 11:06 AM
this is a blockbuster trade?

Maybe hyperbole, but getting Pietrus would be a coup for the Spurs.

Has anyone thought that this trade may not involve us at all? The CIA aspect of the Spurs front office works both ways...

Of course it may not involve them. It sounds like a S&T was already in the works, allowing GSW to dump Troy Murphy on Atlanta and not involving San Antonio. Maybe all we do is get Devin Brown back. Who knows?

SenorSpur
07-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Maybe hyperbole, but getting Pietrus would be a coup for the Spurs.

Of course it may not involve them. It sounds like a S&T was already in the works, allowing GSW to dump Troy Murphy on Atlanta and not involving San Antonio. Maybe all we do is get Devin Brown back. Who knows?

Personally, I'd rather have Pietrus.

Bruno
07-10-2006, 11:09 AM

Fully disagree.

Murphy earn $1M more than Rasho for this year and less than $2M more than Rasho in 2008-2009. And Spurs will save $15M if we trade Barry+Oberto.

Sure Murphy has two more years in his contract but don't forget that the salary cap/ luxury tax will be higher in 2009 than in 2006.

I won't be surprise at all if Spurs take Murphy's contract. He is a very good fit to play with Duncan.

ducks
07-10-2006, 11:10 AM
I don't believe the Spurs are involved in this deal...

can hawks tank on troy's contract it is much longer then 1 year
did they start this discussion before the court ruling?

Bruno
07-10-2006, 11:13 AM
BTW, the rumor is just : Spurs and GS are working on a multiteam trade where Devin go to a third team.

Pietrus and Murphy are just speculations.

Mr. Body
07-10-2006, 11:13 AM
Personally, I'd rather have Pietrus.

Oh, me too. Without a doubt. Pietrus is a far better player than Devin Brown.

Mr. Body
07-10-2006, 11:15 AM
BTW, the rumor is just : Spurs and GS are working on a multiteam trade where Devin go to a third team.

Pietrus and Murphy are just speculations.

Absolutely just speculations. When I heard about Atlanta's trade embargo, I instantly thought the Spurs would look to using their expiring contracts to take advantage of the situation, opportunistic and savvy as they are (Mercer/Turkoglu trade). I figure the Warriors player they most want is Pietrus, whose contract is fairly similar if less than Eric Williams' - and he has scads of potential. I knew Utah sent GSW some low-rent expiring contracts. I filled in the blanks.

This most certainly won't be the scenario - I'll daydream - but this is the way the Spurs can get involved in this sort of deal.

Budkin
07-10-2006, 11:18 AM
I'd love for the Spurs to pick up that young center, Andris Biedrins. Go to Youtube and type in his name and watch the highlight video from 2004-2005, his rookie season. I was impressed!

Bruno
07-10-2006, 11:21 AM
If you read the start of the trade, timvp make the same speculation.

My speculation is that Warriors can't get Harrington who will get something like $60M/6 years without dumping one of their big contract. That's why i see Murphy coming to SA with maybe Pietrus.

Bruno
07-10-2006, 11:23 AM
I'd love for the Spurs to pick up that young center, Andris Biedrins. Go to Youtube and type in his name and watch the highlight video from 2004-2005, his rookie season. I was impressed!

I would like to get him but I don't see how we can get him. A 20 years old center with that upside has a lot of trade value.

furry_spurry
07-10-2006, 11:26 AM
I just don't see how a team that would not offer Przy 5/$30- Nazr 5/$30 and dumped Rasho's 3/$23 would take on Murphy at 5/$51.

If they could get Pietrus, that is what they want. The Spurs, though, have been trying since last summer to work out a trade with GS- that would send Brent there and send Pietrus to SA.

I see Murphy heading to Atlanta- not SA. Spurs are shedding long-term contracts- not picking them up.

dimsah
07-10-2006, 11:27 AM
I would like to get him but I don't see how we can get him. A 20 years old center with that upside has a lot of trade value.I'm sure they want him to replace Foyle and his rediculous contract.
There is no way they let Biedrins go.

Mr. Body
07-10-2006, 11:28 AM
They'd give us Taft before ever letting Biedrins step out the door.

Extra Stout
07-10-2006, 11:29 AM
I just don't see how a team that would not offer Przy 5/$30- Nazr 5/$30 and dumped Rasho's 3/$23 would take on Murphy at 5/$51.

If they could get Pietrus, that is what they want. The Spurs, though, have been trying since last summer to work out a trade with GS- that would send Brent there and send Pietrus to SA.

I see Murphy heading to Atlanta- not SA.
IIUC, Murphy can't go to Atlanta because of the court-imposed moratorium on their acquiring contracts that extend past 2007.

Other teams would swoop in to become the third team if only to keep talent away from SA. Right now the Spurs have their weakest frontline since the J.R. Reid days, and other contenders would be keen to keep it that way.

Bruno
07-10-2006, 11:32 AM

I see Murphy heading to Atlanta- not SA. Spurs are shedding long-term contracts- not picking them up.

I don't see hawks getting Murphy because of the trial between Hawks' owners.
Don't forget too that we dump Barry and Oberto if we do a trade for Murphy: it's $35M/5 years for Murphy.

furry_spurry
07-10-2006, 11:42 AM
it's $35M/5 years for Murphy.
Where did you see that?
Or do you mean the difference over what would be paid to Brent and Fabricio?

Bruno
07-10-2006, 11:43 AM
Where did you see that?
Or do you mean the difference over what would be paid to Brent and Fabricio?

Yes, I mean the difference.

violentkitten
07-10-2006, 11:52 AM

they had that committed with rasho and rose. the main reason those were jettisoned was because they were not playing up to the value of their contracts. go suck on your boyfriend's pipe mr knowitall

furry_spurry
07-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Yes, I mean the difference.
I might go along with that if I were not so convinced that the Spurs don't want to spend any real money- especially long-term- above the Big 3. Maybe if Murphy did not have 5 years left when Brent and Fabricio each only have 2. If nothing else, they would be good for trading at the deadline or next summer. Guess, also, because I have heard multiple rumors involving SA and GS in the past year that it seems nothing is ever going to happen- but I could be wrong!

I am not surprised to hear the Spurs trying to get in on this- I just doubt it will come to fruition. I think given what they are willing to trade and what they want, that the only way another trade gets done this summer for the Spurs is if multiple teams are involved.

If they really wanted Murphy, they could just trade for him straight-up. I think GS would accept Brent and Fabricio for Murphy- to be rid of his contract. I feel assured that it is Pietrus they want- not Murphy.

Mr. Body
07-10-2006, 11:58 AM
they had that committed with rasho and rose. the main reason those were jettisoned was because they were not playing up to the value of their contracts. go suck on your boyfriend's pipe mr knowitall

How hard was it to get rid of Rasho and Rose? It took months and months to find anyone attracted to them, only after the Spurs had to eat years combined of their salaries.

Troy Murphy is not that great of a player. He's not bad, he puts up numbers, but he's not great. His contract runs for five more years and while it doesn't look too bad at this point it's going to be a big drag within 3 years, I'm sure. Why do you think GS is getting rid of him?

Mr. Body
07-10-2006, 12:01 PM
If they really wanted Murphy, they could just trade for him straight-up. I think GS would accept Brent and Fabricio for Murphy- to be rid of his contract. I feel assured that it is Pietrus they want- not Murphy.

Yes, and they haven't taken Pietrus as a sweetener to get Murphy. Even that hasn't been eough.

People don't understand the financial philosophy of this Spurs' organization. There is nothing they have done in the past, nothing they've said now, that leads a canny individual to think they'd willingly take on a salary like this.

furry_spurry
07-10-2006, 12:03 PM
$8.3 M
$9.2 M
$10.1 M
$11 M
$12 M

For Troy Murphy-- no thanks.

Spurs would shed 2 years of Brent and Fabricio- but those last 3 years at $33M !!

T Park
07-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Mr Body continues his spewing of "Mr Knowitall"

"Hello Folks"- Bullwinkle voice

T Park
07-10-2006, 12:05 PM
For Troy Murphy-- no thanks

Yeah for a guy that would average 10 boards a game, knocks down 3s, and is agressive long and perfect for the new age basketball

As if there are better alternatives out there.

Mr. Body
07-10-2006, 12:06 PM

Why is he a fucking moron?

I don't know. I don't think he knows anything about the Spurs.

But his name is T Park.

I guess. He still doesn't know anything about how this organization acts. I don't think he pays attention very well.

No, he really doesn't.

So he's a fucking moron?

Yes. He thinks the Spurs are trading for Troy Murphy just because he says so.

furry_spurry
07-10-2006, 12:07 PM
You want to pay Troy Murphy $11 or 12M? And even more importantly, you think the Spurs would?

Bruno
07-10-2006, 12:10 PM
I might go along with that if I were not so convinced that the Spurs don't want to spend any real money- especially long-term- above the Big 3.

We don't share the same conviction. I don't find too that Spurs owner is that cheap.

The reason to trade Murphy in the Harrington trade and not in a separate trade is to make work the Harrington trade under the CBA. Don't forget that Warriors can't take more than 125%+100k in salary back and that Harrington starting salary will be around $8M.
GS has more reason too to get rid of Murphy if they get Harrington.

myhc
07-10-2006, 12:10 PM
If getting Troy Murphy now gives us a better chance at winning titles while we'er in Tim and Manu's prime years, at the cost of overpaying 4-5 years later, I pull the trigger.

If he helps us get 2 more titles, heck even 1 more title, I think the penalties down the road will be worth it. I think that's the mistake Detroit made by not keeping Ben. Sure 4 years down the road he'll be a shell of what he is, but they still have (or had) a good chance at a title next year and the year after with that nucleus.

furry_spurry
07-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Yes, and they haven't taken Pietrus as a sweetener to get Murphy. Even that hasn't been eough.

Have to post this:
Brent/Fabricio/Beno for Murphy/Pietrus

Spurs trade everyone left from last year who didn't play. GS gets short-term contracts. And we don't have to hear anymore Spurs trade ideas for a while.

Gummi
07-10-2006, 12:15 PM
The Spurs would never carry 4 players with $10 million plus for a season. No way. I've never liked the guy anyways. I'd rather have Javtokas and Oberto as our center for the comming season then an overpaid, injury prone, center who doesn't like contact.

I agree furry spurry, no thanks. There are cheeper options out there.

furry_spurry
The reason to trade Murphy in the Harrington trade and not in a separate trade is to make work the Harrington trade under the CBA. Don't forget that Warriors can't take more than 125%+100k in salary back and that Harrington starting salary will be around $8M.
GS has more reason too to get rid of Murphy if they get Harrington.
I meant simply from the Spurs perspective. If it was Murphy they coveted so much, they could have gotten him already.

Mr. Body
I'd probably jump for a Brent/Fabricio/Beno for Murphy/Pietrus trade. Well, leave Beno out, if possible.

I think Murphy and especially Pietrus are nice players that could play well in the Spurs system.

But this thread is less about unicorn wishes and more about speculating what the Spurs FO would actually do.

And, in the end, with Murphy you simply are paying too much for what he gives you.

furry_spurry
07-10-2006, 12:17 PM
If getting Troy Murphy now gives us a better chance at winning titles while we'er in Tim and Manu's prime years, at the cost of overpaying 4-5 years later, I pull the trigger.

If he helps us get 2 more titles, heck even 1 more title, I think the penalties down the road will be worth it.
So now Troy Murphy is the key to winning two more NBA Titles!! We really are grabbing at straws.

Extra Stout
07-10-2006, 12:17 PM
Won't the salary cap fall drastically in '08-'09 after the current TV deal expires? I can't imagine they'll get anywhere near the same rights fees next time.

SsKSpurs21
07-10-2006, 12:18 PM
murphy would be awesome. hes a double-double guy who can hit threes...but wont he be too expensive? how about their center, Andris Biedrins? he has shown flashes of being a decent to good player...and playing along side duncan will help him grow.

Mr. Body
07-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Won't the salary cap fall drastically in '08-'09 after the current TV deal expires? I can't imagine they'll get anywhere near the same rights fees next time.

I have no idea, but I'd think in the heyday of Wade and LeBron the league would get an excellent contract. TV rights deals don't seem to be going down.

Bruno
07-10-2006, 12:20 PM
I meant simply from the Spurs perspective. If it was Murphy they coveted so much, they could have gotten him already.

I don't think that he was available in a trade where GS don't get a quality big in return. If they get Harrington (who can play PF), the situation change.

furry_spurry
07-10-2006, 12:21 PM
But this thread is less about unicorn wishes and more about speculating what the Spurs FO would actually do.
Had to include Beno to make it work- plus it was a "joke" to get rid of everyone Pop didn't play (Nazr and Rasho are already gone) and leave Tim, Tony, Manu, Bruce, Michael, and Rob. :lol

Mr. Body
07-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Had to include Beno to make it work- plus it was a "joke" to get rid of everyone Pop didn't play (Nazr and Rasho are already gone) and leave Tim, Tony, Manu, Bruce, Michael, and Rob. :lol

I know. We both know it would never happen.

The Spurs spend $50+ on four players and spend $12 million on the rest.

Their starting unit will be:

Tony Parker
Manu Ginobili
Troy Murphy
Tim Duncan

And that's it. They'll play with four and let the $1M scrubs come off the bench.

= CHAMPIONSHIP!!

tempest186
07-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Remember that Golden State in addition to Foyle, Biedrins, Murphy, Taft and Cabarkapa just drafted Patrick O'Bryant (thier center of the future) and Kosta Perovic. Biedrins may be possible.

Bruno
07-10-2006, 12:29 PM
The Spurs spend $50+ on four players and spend $12 million on the rest.

Just look at how many teams will spend $50M for their four best players in 2007/2008 before saying thing like that.
And the Luxury Tax will be at something like $65M in 2007/2008 : $15M is enough for a bench and a role player at SF.

Mr. Body
07-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Just look at how many teams will spend $50M for their four best players in 2007/2008 before saying thing like that.

Are the Spurs one of those teams? Can you imagine them ever being?

Bruno
07-10-2006, 12:40 PM
Are the Spurs one of those teams? Can you imagine them ever being?

In 2007-2008 : TP+Manu+Duncan = $40M

Having a fourth player paid $9.2M (like Murphy) or $7.8M (like Rasho) isn't a big deal.

And if you find that Spurs are one of the cheapest team in the league, just look at the contract they have given in 2003 and 2004.

Mr. Body
07-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Bruno, you may be right. It seems if the Spurs wanted Murphy, they would have gotten him by now - he can be had.

Bruno
07-10-2006, 12:49 PM
Bruno, you may be right. It seems if the Spurs wanted Murphy, they would have gotten him by now - he can be had.

I may be wrong too but at least I don't act like I'm sure that I'm right and say that people who disagre have no clue about Spurs front office. :)

If Spurs want Murphy, he can be had if Warriors get Harrington. Future will tell what Spur will do.

Leetonidas
07-10-2006, 01:00 PM
His contract is huge and ends like in 2020.

Dunleavy? According to hoopshype, his contract has about 7.5 million and 1 year on it.

Goliadnative
07-10-2006, 01:09 PM
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/07/10/SPGLHJSHUD1.DTL

Don't know if anyone has seen this. The link came from a story on the ESPN website.

Leetonidas
07-10-2006, 01:13 PM
Since Devin hasn't been traded yet, this "blockbuster" can go down still. They could send him to Utah in this trade. I think timvp posted the scenario, and it works.

Bruno
07-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Dunleavy? According to hoopshype, his contract has about 7.5 million and 1 year on it.

Concerning hoopshype, a blank year isn't a $0 year. A blank just means that they don't know the exact salary.
Dunleavy has 5 years/$45M left on his contract.

Leetonidas
07-10-2006, 01:29 PM
Concerning hoopshype, a blank year isn't a $0 year. A blank just means that they don't know the exact salary.
Dunleavy has 5 years/$45M left on his contract.

Oh wow, thanks for clearing that up.

Dunleavy would be interesting though. He's 6'9" but didn't he play a lot of PG up there? Would he play SF?

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Oh wow, thanks for clearing that up.

Dunleavy would be interesting though. He's 6'9" but didn't he play a lot of PG up there? Would he play SF?

From what I've seen of his game we could just sign Keith Van Horn for a hell of a lot less and get the same results. He's a defensive liability and he spent most of last year struggling with his confidence. The best case scenario for him as a Spur would be as the second coming of Hedo.

MoSpur
07-10-2006, 01:52 PM
That article does say a third team could be invovled.

Big P
07-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Since Devin hasn't been traded yet, this "blockbuster" can go down still. They could send him to Utah in this trade. I think timvp posted the scenario, and it works.

Why would GS send Devin back to Utah?

picnroll
07-10-2006, 02:56 PM

This coming from a noted basketball savant who says Biendrins is crap. LMFAO

IcemanCometh
07-10-2006, 03:38 PM
kevin garnett

Leetonidas
07-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Why would GS send Devin back to Utah?

Sorry, I meant Utah sends him to Atlanta and GS sends Fisher to Utah

timvp
07-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Murphy makes a lot of sense basketball wise. He has a very good midrange jumper and is one of the better rebounders in the league.

As far as his contract goes, I can't imagine that the Spurs would take it on. They'd have to view Murphy as exactly the piece they want going forward. They're obviously clearing cap space in the future to sign a big free agent, but if Murphy is as good as the Spurs are hoping for, why not just get him now?

Mr. Body
07-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Because the Spurs will go for the over-the-hill 'great point guard' type? I'm guessing it'll be Chauncey Billups this time.

ducks
07-10-2006, 04:30 PM
if they get murphy and the last year of his contract he is very tradable and the spurs would get alot of capspace back
also in 3 years hopefully ian will be ready

RON ARTEST
07-10-2006, 04:32 PM
this rumor isnt really a blockbuster.

Mr. Body
07-10-2006, 04:34 PM
this rumor isnt really a blockbuster.

You're not the first to point this out.

Extra Stout
07-10-2006, 04:53 PM
Murphy makes a lot of sense basketball wise. He has a very good midrange jumper and is one of the better rebounders in the league.

As far as his contract goes, I can't imagine that the Spurs would take it on. They'd have to view Murphy as exactly the piece they want going forward. They're obviously clearing cap space in the future to sign a big free agent, but if Murphy is as good as the Spurs are hoping for, why not just get him now?
Are they clearing cap space to sign some mysterious free agent, or are they clearing payroll just for its own sake? Why make grandiose plans for when Duncan is 34 or 35? What superstar is going to risk becoming an unrestricted FA just so he can come to podunk and play with an aging Duncan?

What if they just don't see anything they really want this summer, so unless a trade falls into their lap, they're going to minimize payroll, hope for the best in 2006-07 with a threadbare and aging rotation outside the big 3, and try for the meaningful acquisitions in summer 2007 when the pickings are better?

gospursgojas
07-10-2006, 04:53 PM
When was this trade to be announced???

Kori Ellis
07-10-2006, 04:54 PM
When was this trade to be announced???

It wasn't.

It's a rumor.

gospursgojas
07-10-2006, 04:55 PM
It wasn't.

It's a rumor.

Ohhhh

timvp
07-10-2006, 04:56 PM
Are they clearing cap space to sign some mysterious free agent, or are they clearing payroll just for its own sake? Why make grandiose plans for when Duncan is 34 or 35? What superstar is going to risk becoming an unrestricted FA just so he can come to podunk and play with an aging Duncan?

What if they just don't see anything they really want this summer, so unless a trade falls into their lap, they're going to minimize payroll, hope for the best in 2006-07 with a threadbare and aging rotation outside the big 3, and try for the meaningful acquisitions in summer 2007 when the pickings are better?

Makes sense.

Also, perhaps Holt is looking to sell the team some point soon. The first sign of a team about to go up for sale is when they start limiting long-term contracts on the books.

Hmm...

IcemanCometh
07-10-2006, 05:00 PM
i hope holt sells to some real owners

Extra Stout
07-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Makes sense.

Also, perhaps Holt is looking to sell the team some point soon. The first sign of a team about to go up for sale is when they start limiting long-term contracts on the books.

Hmm...
Team owners make their money when they sell. Will the Spurs ever be worth more than they are now?

timvp
07-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Team owners make their money when they sell. Will the Spurs ever be worth more than they are now?

Exactly.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-10-2006, 05:38 PM
Makes sense.

Hmm...

Awesome. Let's see how this rumor blossoms into assumed reality. I'll be checking other websites in the next few days for this 'breaking' story.

Remember everyone, Timvp reported it first!

T Park
07-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Yeah lets sell the team to someone else.

Who else could afford to own the team and operate it the way the bigshots around here want to that lives in SA again?

Buddy Holly
07-10-2006, 05:43 PM

Who else could afford to own the team and operate it the way the bigshots around here want to that lives in SA again?

A lot of people.

You think Holt (of all people) is the only San Antonian worth anything? :lol

leemajors
07-10-2006, 05:43 PM
cubes Buys Spurs, Competes Against Himself For Western Conference Title

Buddy Holly
07-10-2006, 05:45 PM

And if Holt sells why does it have to be a local he sales it to?

T Park
07-10-2006, 05:48 PM
sure sell it to someone from St Louis or Kentucky.

See how that goes over.....

There isn't anyone in SA that has the kind of capital to support a Spurs team Mrs Cisneros.

ducks
07-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Tpark Should Buy Spurs

Buddy Holly
07-10-2006, 05:51 PM
sure sell it to someone from St Louis or Kentucky.

See how that goes over.....

Yeah, there will be rioting in the streets. You'll go on a hunger strike. There will be peace in the middle east. George W. Bush will actually do something intelligent.

There isn't anyone in SA that has the kind of capital to support a Spurs team Mrs Cisneros.

Except for Holt?

You do understand he wouldn't be selling the entire team, he'd be selling his share of the team.

You think out of all the millionaires or billioniares that live in San Antonio... Holt is the only one who could afford it. :lol :lol

T Park
07-10-2006, 06:06 PM
I notice you haven't given a name.

Yeah, there will be rioting in the streets. You'll go on a hunger strike. There will be peace in the middle east. George W. Bush will actually do something intelligent.

Typical Dusty Garza's left nut babble.

Buddy Holly
07-10-2006, 06:09 PM
I notice you haven't given a name.

That could buy Peter Holt's share?

One of the Mays, Butts, McCombs, Bensons, what the hell, the founders of Rackspace, etc.

Or it could be someone not from here.

Typical Dusty Garza's left nut babble.

I thought that was when you give up (quit) on your team midway through the playoffs.

I may be wrong though. It's either Dustyism or just being a straight up pussy.

strangeweather
07-10-2006, 07:48 PM
We might get Murphy and/or Pietrus?

Mr. Body
07-10-2006, 07:57 PM
We might get Murphy and/or Pietrus?

No, probably not. :depressed :depressed

Mugsy111
07-10-2006, 08:09 PM
We aren't getting shit. Because there is only shit to get.

johngateswhiteley
07-10-2006, 09:00 PM

...quite a few people actually....but who knows if they want to.

violentkitten
07-10-2006, 09:03 PM
fuck man this team isn't that far away from more titles just spend some jack damn it

exstatic
07-10-2006, 09:22 PM
We aren't getting shit. Because there is only shit to get.
Then, wouldn't we be getting shit?

dknights411
07-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Boy, this offseason is making everyone insane. The season can't start soon enough.

spurschick
07-10-2006, 09:48 PM
Boy, this offseason is making everyone insane. The season can't start soon enough.

Must go to happy place... must go to happy place...
http://www.basketball.stuffie.be/images/SanAntonioSpursNBAChamp2005.jpg

:frying: :smchode: :sombrero:

Solid D
07-10-2006, 10:03 PM
Channel 11's Anthony Pittman interviewed Devin Brown at his clinic in San Antonio. Devin talked about the trade to GS. He said he knew the day before the trade was announced that it was either going to be Golden State or Phoenix. He went on to say:

"if I do stay in Golden State this year then it will be a lot of fun. I'll get to see Mario Elie and work out with him again so it should be a lot of fun...but there's still some more goin' on from what I hear, so I just got to sit back and wait."

ducks
07-10-2006, 10:04 PM
intersting

Mr. Body
07-10-2006, 10:05 PM
Goddamn it. Just skip to the end. What happens?

ducks
07-10-2006, 10:06 PM
spurs trade duncan because they are cheap

spursmode
07-10-2006, 10:11 PM
I heard that we are involved in a 3 team trade that involves trading two trades for one trade with future considerations that could involve a trade in 2007 or 2008 and snowcone machine.

Solid D
07-10-2006, 10:13 PM
Channel 11's Anthony Pittman interviewed Devin Brown at his clinic in San Antonio. Devin talked about the trade to GS. He said he knew the day before the trade was announced that it was either going to be Golden State or Phoenix. He went on to say:

"if I do stay in Golden State this year then it will be a lot of fun. I'll get to see Mario Elie and work out with him again so it should be a lot of fun...but there's still some more goin' on from what I hear, so I just got to sit back and wait."

It sounds like things are in motion...however trades can fall apart over the smallest of details.

Mr. Body
07-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Everything starts on Wednesday. S&Trades must wait until then. ...And then we'll wait for longer.

What was that about a snowcone machine?

THE SIXTH MAN
07-10-2006, 10:18 PM
What was that about a snowcone machine?
Its just a throw in to sweeten the deal.

jman3000
07-10-2006, 10:27 PM
it should be the catalyst ... not a throw in.

exstatic
07-10-2006, 10:35 PM
It sounds like things are in motion...however trades can fall apart over the smallest of details.
Like $50K in salary that can't be absorbed. :madrun :madrun

Solid D
07-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Like $50K in salary that can't be absorbed. :madrun :madrun

Or like the GM was at a funeral and couldn't be reached before the trade deadline.

exstatic
07-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Or like the GM was at a funeral and couldn't be reached before the trade deadline.
That's OK. I think Mr. I won't shake your hand because I want to act like a child will be fired if the palace coup reversal in ATL stands.

timvp
07-11-2006, 12:51 AM
With the mouthpiece of the Spurs (AKA Express-News) quiet, it means something is in the works.

We'll soon see if it pans out.

J.T.
07-11-2006, 01:03 AM
I'll be the first to preorder a Troy Murphy Spurs jersey.

Horry For 3!
07-11-2006, 01:09 AM
I hope it is Troy Murphy..... he would be bad ass at PF with Timmy at the C. Plus he rebounds well and also shoots the 3 pretty good too.

I remember watchin him a couple of years back when he went to Notre Dame, he was a lot smaller and shot 3s like nothing.

T Park
07-11-2006, 01:48 AM
If its Troy Murphy, im personally constructing a statue of RC Buford outside the SBC center myself.

In his hand under the chin propping elbow on the knee in a suit with no tie look that he has at every home game.

Streakyshooter08
07-11-2006, 03:37 AM
Troy Murphy would be great but I really doubt it. It might be once again a player nobody expects. (if the blockbuster trade really happens...)

rayray2k8
07-11-2006, 03:47 AM
It seems like people almost EXPECT the spurs to get something badass in return.
I Just hope people aren't disappointed when a trade finally goes down and the spurs roster stays the same.

Kori Ellis
07-11-2006, 03:49 AM
Harrington Sweepstakes Down to Three Teams
By Travis Heath
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Jul 11, 2006, 00:48

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_18069.shtml

It appears that the Al Harrington sweepstakes have come down to three teams, that is if you believe what the man himself says.

Basketball News Services spoke with Al Harrington about his NBA future in an exclusive interview in Las Vegas on Monday, and despite some reports that a sign-and-trade deal is as a good as done with the Golden State Warriors, Harrington said not so fast.

"Right now, it's up in the air," Harrington said Monday night. "I've got Indiana, Golden State, the Knicks. You know, those are my top three teams pretty much, right now. Just trying to get a sign-and-trade done for me to get out of Atlanta. I'm not sure what's going to happen. Just keeping my fingers crossed, and whatever's going to happen is gonna happen."
The one thing that appears certain at this time is that Harrington's days in the A-T-L appear numbered. So does Harrington believe he's done in Atlanta?

"Right now, it seems that way," Harrington replied. "At the end of the day, they can still do the most for me. So, you know, it's up to them. Maybe, the next couple of days, they'll fall back in love with me. Until I sign, I don't know what's going to happen. I just know that I'm going to be somewhere, definitely in a winning environment."

Harrington, a St Patrick's New Jersey graduate, also stated that just because the Knicks appear to be in turmoil, he wouldn't count out a return to his old stomping grounds.

"Come on man, there's no way anyone can say that they don't want to play for the Knicks," Harrington said with a smile. "It's always big playing in The Garden every night. If it's meant for me, it's going to happen."

Harrington indicated that one additional team that showed some interest in him was the Denver Nuggets, but apparently the interest was never enough to merit any serious discussions.

When asked if the Nuggets had voiced any interest, Harrington responded, "They have, but I guess not seriously enough that they're someone that we're talking about right now."

When asked if his versatility is worthy of a long hard look from a lot of NBA clubs, Harrington replied, "Yeah, but that's the way the game is turning, anyway. More versatile players, guys playing all over the floor. Yeah, it definitely helps me. There's pretty much no situation where the coach can say he can't have me on the floor."

And it appears that the coaches with the option of putting Harrington on the floor next season will be Rick Carlisle in Indiana, Mike Montgomery of Golden State, or the newly instated Isiah Thomas in New York.

While Harrington acknowledged -- albeit slightly -- that anything could still happen, expect a sign-and-trade to go down in the coming days between Atlanta and one of the aforementioned three teams.

More news as it becomes available.

Streakyshooter08
07-11-2006, 03:53 AM
Mhm...I wonder what the possibiltys of NY and Indi are to trade with Atl.? Do they have expiring contracts? I think they are somehow limited... I wonder if the Spurs would be a part of a deal with NY/ Indy as well...

Kori Ellis
07-11-2006, 05:15 AM
Warriors making full-court press to attract Harrington
Warriors notebook

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/sports/basketball/nba/golden_state_warriors/15011681.htm

LAS VEGAS -- Atlanta Hawks free-agent forward Al Harrington said he's spent the past 10 days with Warriors point guard Baron Davis kicking it in Los Angeles, contemplating what could be. Even Warriors guard Jason Richardson, playing in Davis' charity game in Los Angeles, helped in the courting.

Harrington likes what he hears.

"I'd be excited about it," Harrington said of coming to the Warriors. "It's one of my top three teams, and I would like to play there if I got the opportunity. It would be sweet."

There might be a holdup. A dispute has Hawks owners in court. A Maryland Circuit Court judge ruled the Hawks can't initiate deals involving multiyear contracts for any player other than draft picks. Harrington is free to sign with another team, but only Charlotte has the salary cap space to sign him. His best bet is a sign-and-trade, which means he needs the cooperation of the Hawks and the courts.

Billy Hunter, director of the NBA players union, said Harrington may not be affected by the ruling. The judge said the Hawks can't initiate deals, so Hunter said a sign-and-trade deal involving a multiyear contract could work if the negotiations were going on before the ruling.

Hunter said he is waiting to see how the league responds. He said the players union is prepared to file a suit to get the judge's ruling overturned.

Between the court rulings and the Hawks' negotiating tactics, Harrington said he doesn't know when his deal will be done. He said he has talked to Warriors executive vice president of basketball operations Chris Mullin, whom Harrington said initiated the contact.

Harrington, who played power forward with the Hawks, said he would play small forward as Warrior. He would like to take advantage of his 6-foot-9, 245-pound frame against smaller players.

Harrington said he also would like to be part of the team that ends the Warriors' 12-year playoff drought.

"That's what you play the game for, to be in a position like that," said Harrington, expressing a bit of frustration that his situation is still unsettled. "If you add me ... we should be able to make a run for the playoffs."

Aching Ike

Warriors second-year forward Ike Diogu missed his third game of summer league with a sore left knee and said he won't play today. He said he might play in Thursday's finale.

The Warriors summer league roster has been decimated. Post Andris Biedrins (strained left groin), guard Monta Ellis (bruised right knee) and forward Chris Taft (back) also are out. The only players on the roster with any real chance of playing for the Warriors this season are rookie center Patrick O'Bryant and second-year point guard Will Bynum.

Off glass

There are a few legitimate NBA stars playing in the summer league. The Phoenix Suns roster boasts All-Star forward Amare Stoudemire, who has looked far from dominating as he works back into form after missing most of last season because of knee surgery. Ron Artest is on the Sacramento Kings roster. Artest, who said he is playing for the love of the game, is taking a back seat to swingman Kevin Martin, who is tearing it up. ... Richardson made an appearance in the fourth quarter of the Warriors game and took a seat directly behind the bench. ... Hawaii product Julian Sensley, a former Cal recruit, left the Warriors summer league team for another opportunity.

SPARKY
07-11-2006, 07:27 AM
Hopefully the Spurs can get in on that S&T.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-11-2006, 12:32 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say our new player will have the initials J.O.

Mr. Body
07-11-2006, 12:34 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say our new player will have the initials J.O.

Jenny Oppenheimer? How's she doing? I haven't seen her since high school.

Extra Stout
07-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Jean-Michel Oyono?

davi78239
07-11-2006, 12:41 PM
Who?

dmac
07-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Johnny Orr will make a great addition to this team, he may be a little rusty, but he can help coach!

Extra Stout
07-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Jose Ortiz is tall enough, but at 43, isn't he kind of long in the tooth?

RobinsontoDuncan
07-11-2006, 12:49 PM
Jermaine O'Neil isnt leaving Indiana

furry_spurry
07-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Everything is too quiet today-- something is up! Everywhere should be a buzz- because tomorrow is July 12- but nothing. When the Spurs stories dry up- usually that is when something is finally going on and it won't be anything we have already read about.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-11-2006, 01:29 PM

http://espanol.lakewood.cc/assets/images/joel_osteen/joel_osteen_profile_pic.jpg

Joel Osteen? He can fill the spirtual leadership role that AJ and the Admiral had for the Spurs. It would also get him out of Houston. I'm sure that he's helped a lot of people, but the dude creeps the shit out of me.

angel_luv
07-11-2006, 01:37 PM
Joel strikes me a compassionate person from his sermons.

I like to watch his program when I am stressed.

Trainwreck2100
07-11-2006, 01:38 PM
http://espanol.lakewood.cc/assets/images/joel_osteen/joel_osteen_profile_pic.jpg

Joel Osteen? He can fill the spirtual leadership role that AJ and the Admiral had for the Spurs. It would also get him out of Houston. I'm sure that he's helped a lot of people, but the dude creeps the shit out of me.

me too

jman3000
07-11-2006, 01:38 PM
He makes me think that if leprechauns were real, that that is what they would look like.

Guru of Nothing
07-11-2006, 01:43 PM

http://sportsmedia.ign.com/sports/image/article/667/667351/madden-360-top-50-20051115060255159-000.jpg

Looks like a Dirk stopper to me.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Wait, did it have to be J.O. in that order? Cause if you flip the letters around you've got a veteran athlete who we know can run and I suspect he's a pretty good slasher, although that remains unproven.

sa_butta
07-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Wait, did it have to be J.O. in that order? Cause if you flip the letters around you've got a veteran athlete who we know can run and I suspect he's a pretty good slasher, although that remains unproven.:lol
were just taking a stab at that one.

Spurs16212
07-11-2006, 02:09 PM
:lol Very funny.....

Extra Stout
07-11-2006, 04:08 PM

Perfect. He could teach Peter Holt that if he prays a lot and gives money to Lakewood Church, God will bless him with enough money to pay the luxury tax.

dknights411
07-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Perfect. He could teach Peter Holt that if he prays a lot and gives money to Lakewood Church, God will bless him with enough money to pay the luxury tax.

That's the guy who bought out the Summit, right?

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-11-2006, 04:24 PM
Wait, did it have to be J.O. in that order? Cause if you flip the letters around you've got a veteran athlete who we know can run and I suspect he's a pretty good slasher, although that remains unproven.

ducks
07-11-2006, 04:25 PM
hawks can not end up with murphy he has a 5 year deal
hawks can only do 4 year deals now

Spurminator
07-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Jason O'Richardson?

rayray2k8
07-11-2006, 04:34 PM
hawks can not end up with murphy he has a 5 year deal
hawks can only do 4 year deals now

Hawks, Thrashers free to sign players
Judge eases restrictions resulting from owners' legal battle

By TIM TUCKER
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 07/12/06
A Maryland court this afternoon lifted the ban that it last week placed on the Hawks and Thrashers signing players to multi-year contracts.

The teams now are free to conduct their business under less stringent restrictions from the court.

In an order, Montgomery County (Md.) Circuit Court Judge Eric Johnson said that "upon consideration of the joint application of all parties to this action," he would amend the portion of last week's order that prohibited the teams from signing players, other than draft picks, to multi-year contracts while the ownership dispute works its way through the appeals court(s).

Under the new order, the teams are free to make transactions as long as they don't exceed the NBA and NHL salary caps and don't acquire a player with a contract duration of more than four years.

The order further stipulates that the Hawks can make any sign-and-trade deal as long as they don't acquire a player with a contract duration of more than four years. That apparently means the Hawks can sign a player to a contract of longer than four years for the purpose of dealing him away in a sign-and-trade deal.

The new order removes the cloud of uncertainty that had hung since last week over the Hawks' plans for a sign-and-trade deal involving their free agent forward Al Harrington. The Hawks now are free to do a Harrington sign-and-trade as long as they stay under the salary cap and don't take back a contract of longer than four years.

The conditions become part of the stay, pending appeal, of Johnson's earlier order that Steve Belkin has the right to buy out the teams' other owners at cost.

The new order says that any transactions that go beyond the new conditions – i.e., exceed the salary caps or result in the acquisition of contracts longer than four years – would require unanimous consent of the Atlanta Spirit board of managers. That basically means Belkin would have to agree with the other owners to make such transactions.

ducks
07-12-2006, 09:41 AM
please spurs get murphy

yavozerb
07-12-2006, 10:12 AM
If we somehow traded barry and eventually williams contract to GS..Not sure if we could afford both banks and javatkos though? Cannot see where oberto fits into the rotation other than foul trouble occuring (try and trade his contract as well)
Parker-banks(fa)-beno
Manu-pietrus-finley
Bowen-finley-pietrus
Murphy-Duncan-Horry
Duncan-Jav(fa).-Bonner

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 10:44 AM
well good now atlanta is free to deal

1Parker1
07-12-2006, 10:48 AM

Jermaine Oneal? I doubt it...who'd we give them?

violentkitten
07-12-2006, 10:50 AM
you.

strangeweather
07-12-2006, 10:51 AM
If we somehow traded barry and eventually williams contract to GS..Not sure if we could afford both banks and javatkos though? Cannot see where oberto fits into the rotation other than foul trouble occuring (try and trade his contract as well)
Parker-banks(fa)-beno
Manu-pietrus-finley
Bowen-finley-pietrus
Murphy-Duncan-Horry
Duncan-Jav(fa).-Bonner
If we bring in Javtokas+pretty much anyone, Oberto is likely to occupy the IL. In an ideal world, he would be shipped out as part of a deal.

Bruno
07-12-2006, 06:39 PM
Warriors and Jazz have made the Fisher trade.
So Devin can't be packaged now. :depressed

ducks
07-12-2006, 06:40 PM
wonder if they cut brown

Bruno
07-12-2006, 06:49 PM
wonder if they cut brown

They have no interest to do it now, they can keep him as trade bait until the start of the preseason. The only reason to waive him now is to act like a class organisation.

timvp
07-13-2006, 09:54 PM
On Maximum Sports tonight, they said that Devin's agent insists that Devin probably gets moved again before the season starts. So it sounds like the "blockbuster" trade is still alive.

Plus Devin said he'd like to play on the Spurs again someday.

phxspurfan
07-13-2006, 09:58 PM
i want anthony mason...

phxspurfan
or cedric ceballos. the dude could dunk blindfolded

Mr. Body
They have no interest to do it now, they can keep him as trade bait until the start of the preseason. The only reason to waive him now is to act like a class organisation.

I'm thinking there's no such thing.