PDA

View Full Version : Raptors News

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

boutons_
12-17-2006, 03:57 PM
Rasho started, played great, but played only 18 minutes, vs 38 and 40 minutes in previous 2 games. The guy just can't catch a chance.

velik_m
12-17-2006, 03:57 PM
Losing Calderon would be a big blow to Raptors. :(

angel_luv
12-17-2006, 10:08 PM
Calderon's injury sounds scary at the very least- poor guy. I'll add my prayers to his friends and team mates that he is better soon.

http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/quotes_121706

SAM MITCHELL
Any update on Jose (Calderon)?
No, I mean, he’s moving his arms and stuff, but the doctors are examining him and where they go from here, we’ll find out as they let us know. But the game, as important as it is, it’s not more important than Jose (Calderon). I think all the players in there are a little shook because of what happened to Pape (Sow) this summer, and you know, Jose means a lot to us. This is our job, this is what we do, but we as individuals and people are more important than basketball. So we just hope and pray that he is okay. Our guys competed hard and for right now the basketball game is secondary to Jose’s health and we’re just hoping that he is okay.

Any sign that he’s (Jose Calderon) moving his legs at all?
Well, you know what, he was moving his arms and stuff and the doctors are back there talking to him and I don’t want to say because I don’t want to get up here and say something wrong so I’m sure (Jim) LaBumbard will let you guys know more as we find out more but obviously, you know, Jose means a lot to us. I mean he’s an unbelievable competitor, he’s just a joy to come to practice with everyday so you know, we feel….we’re hopeful and all the guys are back there praying for him and hope that he’s going to be fine. :)

Did you get a good look at the play, it looked rather innocuous?
I don’t know, he came down hard and, you know, I’m just kind of following the flight of the ball and I heard him when he hit the ground and I looked and normally Jose (Calderon), in a situation like that, would get right back up. But you know when he was down for awhile, I’m just glad anyone didn’t fall on him or step on him.

What did you hear from him (Jose Calderon)?
Well, I just heard him scream. So when you make out a sound like that, you know something is wrong. But again, like I said, when we’ll know more, what the doctors tell us, they’re back there taking care of him right now and as soon as we know, we’ll let you guys know.

MORRIS PETERSON
Have you heard anything about Jose Calderon’s condition?
I don’t have any information right now. I don’t know exactly what’s going on but he is on his way to the hospital to get checked. All the guys are praying for him. He is one of our brothers so most importantly, we want to make sure he and his family are okay.

Did you see what happened to Jose (Calderon)?
I didn’t see what happened. I was getting a rebound, I looked and he was on the ground. I know he was fighting for a rebound in his position but I looked down and saw him on the ground and I didn’t see what happened

TJ FORD
Was this a flashback to what happened to you?
Definitely. Any time you have to bring out a stretcher, it’s not a good sight. It definitely brought back memories of the time I got injured and I had to be taken off the court

Did you see what happened, and did you get to speak to Jose (Calderon)?
I haven’t spoken to him. I haven’t seen the replay of what happened so I’m not sure.

Did you speak to him (Jose Calderon) after the game?
I haven’t because the doctors are still evaluating and trying to figure out what’s wrong with him. At some point, once everything has cooled down, I’m pretty sure everyone on the team will be able to talk to him.

RS189
12-17-2006, 10:13 PM
Rasho started, played great, but played only 18 minutes, vs 38 and 40 minutes in previous 2 games. The guy just can't catch a chance.

He was probably too slow to keep up with the warriors' pace

angel_luv
12-17-2006, 10:13 PM
http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/calderon_121706.html

TORONTO (CP) -- Raptors guard Jose Calderon was taken to hospital Sunday after being carried off the floor on a stretcher during Toronto's 120-115 victory over Golden State.

Calderon went down while battling for a rebound with Warriors swingman Mickael Pietrus. He immediately clutched his back and yelled to the bench for help.

Calderon was conscious as he was fitted with a neckbrace and carried off the floor. Fans chanted the Spaniard's name while Raptors players and general manager Bryan Colangelo looked on with concern.

``I think all the players are a little shook after what happened to Pape (Sow) this summer,'' Raptors head coach Sam Mitchell said, referring to an injury sustained by forward Pape Sow in summer league. ``Jose means a lot to us. Right now, basketball is secondary to Jose. We just hope he's OK.''

Raptors team officials said the 25-year-old was neurologically intact and was able to move his arms and legs. Officials said Calderon twisted as he fell and felt pain in his lower back.

Raptors spokesman Jim Labumbard said Calderon was being taken to the hospital for further testing as a precaution.

``I can tell you he seemed actually in good spirits,'' Labumbard said. ``He's smiling, (giving) thumbs up to people.''

Guard T.J. Ford said Calderon's injury put a damper on the team's third consecutive win without star forward Chris Bosh.

``He's part of our family, and in this locker-room we are a family,'' Ford said. ``But we said a prayer, and we'll continue to pray he's OK.''

Added teammate Morris Peterson: ``All the guys are praying for him, he's one of our brothers, so most importantly we want to make sure he and his family are OK.''

Calderon finished the game with four points, five assists and three rebounds in 19 minutes

angel_luv
12-17-2006, 10:20 PM
Game Notes:
http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/notes_121706

There are more; I just picked my favorites.

*For the second consecutive game six Toronto players scored in double-digits (23, Morris Peterson, 21, T.J. Ford, 18, Andrea Bargnani, 18, Anthony Parker, 18, Jorge Garbajosa, 13, Rasho Nesterovic).

* Rasho Nesterovic scored a season-high 13 points (12, twice – last: Dec. 15 vs. New Jersey) on five-of-10 shooting from the field and three-of-three from the line …. Nesterovic is averaging 9.5 points, 6.8 rebounds and 2.5 blocked shots on 17-of-27 shooting from the field over the past four games.

Bruno
12-18-2006, 06:40 PM
http://www.thestar.com/NBA/article/160471

Nesterovic at centre of Raptor uprising
Vet's increased chatter coincides with young team's
improvement on defensive end

December 17, 2006
Doug Smith
sports reporter

You wouldn't normally think of Rasho Nesterovic as a yappy young man.

A good-natured, bright, rather unassuming guy? Yeah. A mouthy, talkative, demonstrative fellow? Not so much.

Yet the reason behind the sudden arrival of defensive consistency for the Raptors, an effort that's holding teams to a respectable field-goal percentage and actually winning games, can be attributed in large part to the verbal skills of the veteran centre.

As the last line of what has been a normally shaky defence, Nesterovic's abilities as a traffic cop and commentator are allowing him to play the best he's played since joining the Raptors this season.

"It's just positioning yourself and talking a lot so everyone's on the same page," said Nesterovic. "If you're the last line, you can see everything so you can help the small guys, positioning them a bit. (It's seeing) screens, cuts or whatever, because you can see everything. They can't see everything."

In the two-game winning streak the Raptors take into this afternoon's home game against Golden State — for a 9-14 team, two consecutive victories constitutes a streak — Nesterovic has anchored a defence that's held Orlando and New Jersey both below 40 per cent efficiency from the field and blow 85 points.

The 7-footer played 38 minutes with 12 points, five rebounds against the Nets after logging a season-high 40 minutes with 10 points, seven boards and five blocks against Orlando.

"He's getting his confidence back up," said power forward Chris Bosh, who's been able to watch Nesterovic the last two games as he nurses a sore left knee. "He's shooting the ball well but most importantly he's anchoring that defence.

"He talks a lot in the background, he blocks shots, he can really guard the other big guys. He's just a good overall solid player for us."

What Nesterovic has been providing is something Raptors haven't had in years, a big body capable of defending other centres one-on-one. Against New Jersey, the Raptors didn't have to worry about helping on Nenad Krstic, which allowed them to stay with shooters like Vince Carter, Antoine Wright and Marcus Williams on the perimeter.

Against Orlando, the Raptors were able to leave Nesterovic alone on Dwight Howard whenever spot-up shooters Travis Diener and J.J. Redick were on the court.

That helped the Raptors limit their perimeter liability on defence, a chronic sore spot with the franchise.

"Everybody's been on the same page, everyone knows what's going on," said Nesterovic. "It's not one guy doing this, the other guy doing that. Everybody knows this is what we're doing and we stick to the plan no matter what."

That Nesterovic can log the minutes he has in the last two games has been a huge boost to a team missing its best frontcourt performer in Bosh. Instead of having to parcel out a few minutes to the shorter, more shot-happy Kris Humphries or the raw Uros Slokar, Mitchell has been able to ride the 30-year-old Nesterovic.

"He's doing the job we brought him here for," said Bosh.

boutons_
12-18-2006, 07:51 PM
super happy for Rasho and the Raps. I think they a lot talent to get a lot better than their current record, is Mitchell up to the job?

angel_luv
12-19-2006, 12:29 AM
Encouraging article Bruno. Thanks! :)

angel_luv
12-19-2006, 12:54 AM
Calderon update:

http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/calderonpr_121706.html

dave
12-19-2006, 11:24 PM
i am excited
i missed the suns game, but i hear that TJ got injured
now that both TJ and Calderon are out,
that makes darrick martin our starting PG! :)

dave
12-19-2006, 11:56 PM
can anyone who watched the game tell me how PJ Tucker did? supposedly he did pretty good

angel_luv
12-19-2006, 11:59 PM
i am excited
i missed the suns game, but i hear that TJ got injured
now that both TJ and Calderon are out,
that makes darrick martin our starting PG! :)

No more injuries.

Hopefully Darrick plays great and is not needed for long. :)

dave
12-20-2006, 12:03 AM
haha, i think garbo is out as well
wow the raptors are waaay more screwed than they already were

angel_luv
12-20-2006, 12:12 AM
haha, i think garbo is out as well
wow the raptors are waaay more screwed than they already were

New year's resolution- everyone get healthy and stay healthy.

What happen to Garbojosa and Ford? They bump heads? :lol

angel_luv
12-21-2006, 11:25 PM
http://www.nba.com/games/20061220/TORLAC/boxscore.html
Sho with 10 points ( 4 of 8 from the field), made 2 out of 3 free throws, had 7 rebounds and a steal.

Toronto wins again. :)

boutons_
12-21-2006, 11:34 PM
Rasho's playing great, I'm really happy for him.

I wonder why he's not getting more minutes, only 18 MPG

angel_luv
12-23-2006, 12:34 AM
What is up with this live box score!!! First they tell me Toronto won by two and now they and the Jail Blazers are tied at the end of regulation?!?!!! :wtf

angel_luv
12-23-2006, 12:35 AM
Overtime, it is then. :)

angel_luv
12-23-2006, 12:41 AM
I'm so mad I am missing this game.

It's all good. :)

http://www.nba.com/games/20061222/TORPOR/gameinfo.html
Sho- 12 points ( 6 of 12 from the field), 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal and a blocked shots.

From the live scoreboard I was reading, it seemed like Sho really helped save the game in the fourth.
True?

The Raptors have been awesome lately and without Chris Bosh too. I hope the trend continues when he is back in the mix.

dave
12-23-2006, 12:53 AM
wow this game was exciting
garbo was like a millisecond too slow on the release, so they took away the points
bargnani with a clutch shot, and rasho with good defense on randolph

raptors first in atlantic, FOURTH IN EASTERN CONFERENCE

angel_luv
12-23-2006, 12:56 AM
raptors first in atlantic, FOURTH IN EASTERN CONFERENCE

That's awesome! :D

angel_luv
12-23-2006, 01:03 AM
Whoosh! Raptors are fourth and movin on up. :)

ata
12-23-2006, 07:33 AM
I'm so mad I am missing this game.

It's all good. :)

http://www.nba.com/games/20061222/TORPOR/gameinfo.html
Sho- 12 points ( 6 of 12 from the field), 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal and a blocked shots.

From the live scoreboard I was reading, it seemed like Sho really helped save the game in the fourth.
True?

The Raptors have been awesome lately and without Chris Bosh too. I hope the trend continues when he is back in the mix.
Ha has also the best +/-: http://www.popcornmachine.net/cgi-bin/gameflow.cgi?date=20061222&game=TORPOR

velik_m
12-23-2006, 09:18 AM
Whoosh! Raptors are fourth and movin on up. :)

They are fourth seed by leading their division. They have 8th overall record in the east and won't be moving up from that 4th seed anytime soon. But they have a better record than Miami. :P

Texas_Ranger
12-23-2006, 10:56 AM
I'm happy for Toronto and Rasho who is kicking some ass last games.

velik_m
12-24-2006, 02:55 AM
:pctoss

angel_luv
12-24-2006, 02:56 AM
Ha has also the best +/-: http://www.popcornmachine.net/cgi-bin/gameflow.cgi?date=20061222&game=TORPOR

Thank you!

Haha- Shoogar Bear. I told you Sho is the Closer. :fro

ShoogarBear
12-24-2006, 03:11 AM
Nice.

Can't wait to see what it was for last night's game.

velik_m
12-25-2006, 04:02 AM
Rasho's stats last few games (when he's playing more time):

Date Opponent Result MIN FG 3P FT OFF DEF REB AS ST BL TO PF PTS
Dec 23 @ SEA L 110-97 28 6-10 0-0 0-0 3 4 7 1 0 3 1 2 12
Dec 22 @ POR W 100-101 35 6-12 0-0 0-0 2 3 5 3 1 1 1 5 12
Dec 20 @ LAC W 96-98 36 4-8 0-0 2-3 1 6 7 0 1 0 2 4 10
Dec 19 @ PHX L 115-98 21 4-9 0-0 0-0 0 5 5 0 1 1 1 1 8
Dec 17 vs. GSW W 120-115 21 5-10 0-0 3-3 3 3 6 0 0 2 2 4 13
Dec 15 vs. NJN W 90-78 38 6-8 0-0 0-0 2 3 5 3 2 3 1 3 12
Dec 13 @ ORL W 84-91 40 3-4 0-0 1-2 3 7 10 1 2 5 1 3 7

next stop: KG is coming for a visit.

velik_m
12-25-2006, 11:06 AM
I thought this was pretty funny:

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the East
Not an Atlantic team was winning, not even the Nets
The Sixers were tanking the season with care
In hopes that Greg Oden soon would be there

Raptors fans were nestled all snug in their beds
While visions of playoffs danced in their heads
And Swirsky in his kerchief, and Smitch in his cap
Had just settled their brains for a long winter's nap

When in the forums there arose such a clatter
I logged on to the Web to see what was the matter
The Raptors were 12 and 16 and I thought
The lottery would be the goal that we sought

Chris Bosh was on the sidelines with a bad knee
And Fred Jones was jacking up three after three
When what to my wondering eyes should appear
But the Raptors led the Atlantic, oh dear!

This inexperienced team, so lively and quick
Was chasing the post-season, right in the thick
Instead of scouting the next year's draft class
I thought of Smitch in practice kicking some ass

"Now T.J.! Now, Parker! Now, Humphries and Joey!
On, P.J.! On, Rasho! On-drea Bargnani!
To the end of the court! Run right into the wall!
I want 100 percent! Give me your all!"

Where past Raptors teams would be mailing it in
This squad slugged it out through thick and through thin
Where the old Raptors weren't good on their word
These guys stared down the haters and flipped them the bird

They didn't care about the past, and no faking
The Atlantic Division was theirs for the taking
The Knicks still sucked, Krstic was out for the season
Philly was a joke, and the Celtics were teasin'

In spite of all logic, the best team appeared
To be the one team that few other teams feared
For they led the division in spite of the fact
They'd played more road games than the rest of the pack

As pessimistic as I was inclined to be
The season's likely outcome was plain to see
After four seasons of non-stop frustration
The playoffs would be the next destination

So I closed my laptop with a smile and a wink
Laid my head on my pillow and began to think
About what it would be like to shatter
The RaptorBlog Curse and write blogs that mattered

To feel the excitement of post-season buzz
To shout and cheer and jump around just because
The glory days for the Raptors had come back
And they'd be welcomed by a "Hello!" from Jack

I knew it was early, with four months to go
Chris Bosh was still injured - our best player, you know
But the landscape was set for an uprising
These Raptors were nothing if not surprising

I wrap up this tribute for all of the merry
For Efman and Saeed, for Kat and for Gerry
To lovers and haters, I exclaim with delight
"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night!"

angel_luv
12-26-2006, 10:18 AM
That's awesome! :lol

BgT
12-27-2006, 10:55 PM
Rasho again solid defense on KG. He came in 2nd half of 4th quarter with Raptors being 4 down. Hit 4 points and had a block in the last minute. I can't really recognize the guy, he's been great. I blame Popovich 100% for Rasho's problems in San Antonio. What was with all those matchup problems? How come Rasho hasn't 20% of those same matchup problems in Toronto? Why was Rasho selected as the "Impact Player" of the game 2 times in last 10-14 days? Why is he able to guard much more physical players mano-a-mano without the need of another teammate doubling him? Why does Rasho hit more than 70% of his free throws? Why is he playing 30-40 minutes per game? Why is he playing in final minutes of close games? Why is he said to be the anchor of defense? Why is he commanding all 4 teammates in defense? Why do Raptors fans say that he fully deserves all 8 million of salary?
Probably the trade was ok for both team, it has been absolutely great (and probably better) for Raptors. But with a normal coach, Rasho could be the same for Spurs, too. With normal coach Spurs would win one more title last season. With normal coach Beno would be a huge player for Spurs right now. But because this is Popovich we are talking about, Spurs did not win last season. And Beno is nothing for Spurs now. And Beno will be a very good player for some other team when he leaves. Sad, but nothing new...

:sleep

dave
12-27-2006, 10:56 PM
rasho with his 4th straight game with double digits in points
it'd be his 7th if he had gotten 2 more points against PHX

garbo (10) and bargnani (8) improving in rebounding
i hope garbo will end up averaging 8ish rpg

angel_luv
12-28-2006, 12:24 AM
Sho is awesome. :king
10 points ( 4 of 7 from field) , 2 of 2 from the free throw line :clap,5 rebonds, 1 assist,1 steal, and a blocked shot- plus no fouls or turn overs! :D

And Kevin Garnett lost- love it, even if Kevin did play well.

angel_luv
12-28-2006, 12:26 AM
Rasho selected as the "Impact Player" of the game 2 times in last 10-14 days
:tu :D

angel_luv
12-28-2006, 12:30 AM
http://i14.tinypic.com/43gr3us.jpg

angel_luv
12-28-2006, 12:30 AM
ShOWNED! :)

velik_m
12-28-2006, 04:04 AM
Rasho again solid defense on KG. He came in 2nd half of 4th quarter with Raptors being 4 down. Hit 4 points and had a block in the last minute. I can't really recognize the guy, he's been great. I blame Popovich 100% for Rasho's problems in San Antonio. What was with all those matchup problems? How come Rasho hasn't 20% of those same matchup problems in Toronto? Why was Rasho selected as the "Impact Player" of the game 2 times in last 10-14 days? Why is he able to guard much more physical players mano-a-mano without the need of another teammate doubling him? Why does Rasho hit more than 70% of his free throws? Why is he playing 30-40 minutes per game? Why is he playing in final minutes of close games? Why is he said to be the anchor of defense? Why is he commanding all 4 teammates in defense? Why do Raptors fans say that he fully deserves all 8 million of salary?
Probably the trade was ok for both team, it has been absolutely great (and probably better) for Raptors. But with a normal coach, Rasho could be the same for Spurs, too. With normal coach Spurs would win one more title last season. With normal coach Beno would be a huge player for Spurs right now. But because this is Popovich we are talking about, Spurs did not win last season. And Beno is nothing for Spurs now. And Beno will be a very good player for some other team when he leaves. Sad, but nothing new...

:sleep

now, now lets not go overboard. Rasho was underutilized in SA, but he's just steping up in Toronto because Bosh is missing. He'll be back to his usual self when Bosh comes back.

And Kevin Garnett lost- love it, even if Kevin did play well.

7-18 from KG is not that good.

Rashowned indeed.

BgT
12-28-2006, 08:11 AM
now, now lets not go overboard.
I'm not getting overboard. It's just your opinion that I do. You can have that... So far I've predicted everything correct so personally I will trust my point of view, no offense. The only thing I will never be able to prove is, that if Spurs would play THEIR normal game against Mavs, they would have won the title.

angel_luv
12-28-2006, 11:29 AM
7-18 from KG is not that good.

Rashowned indeed.

All the better. :)

angel_luv
12-30-2006, 01:51 AM
Raptors lost to Chicago. :depressed Next game is ours. :)

Sho was five of nine from the field and 0-1 from 3 point range. "Go for three! ":lol

He had 10 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, and a steal before fouling out.
Good work, honey. :)

dave
12-30-2006, 02:28 AM
didn't expect them to beat chicago
they never do

T Park
12-30-2006, 03:13 AM
Rasho was underutilized in SA

:lmao

What was he not utilized in SA for?

Did he not have his ass kissed enough?

WTF!??!!??

angel_luv
12-30-2006, 11:47 AM
didn't expect them to beat chicago
they never do

The Raptors will win the next meeting. Believe. :)

angel_luv
12-31-2006, 12:54 AM
Another loss. :(

http://www.nba.com/games/20061230/TORMEM/boxscore.html

Sho- 6 of 10 from the field, 1-2 from the charity stripe- 13 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists and a blocked shot. :)

velik_m
12-31-2006, 03:53 AM
The only stat that matters is the win column. :(

angel_luv
12-31-2006, 09:31 AM
A new year's resolution perhaps? :)

angel_luv
01-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Raptors play the Suns tomorrow.

Hopefully Sho is getting to hang out with the Kiwi. :)

angel_luv
01-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Make that the Suns are in Toronto. :lol

angel_luv
01-03-2007, 12:45 PM
Chris Bosh is expected to return to the line up tonight.

It seems like the currently playing team found some nice chemistry. Hopefully Bosh is an "and one" to all that.

Bosh's leadership with the rest of the team's effort- it's going to be awesome!

dave
01-03-2007, 02:13 PM
dammmn
tj not expected to play tonight

angel_luv
01-03-2007, 04:43 PM
dammmn
tj not expected to play tonight

Why? What happened?

dave
01-03-2007, 04:45 PM
ankle sprain or something
garbo not expected either

wow, so instead of losing by 20, its going be 30 now

angel_luv
01-03-2007, 05:02 PM
ankle sprain or something
garbo not expected either

wow, so instead of losing by 20, its going be 30 now

Oh no! Hope the team is back to full strength soon.

You should hold out some hope for a win tonight. I'm not saying it will be easy, but it could happen. :)

dave
01-03-2007, 07:36 PM
haha, rasho has 4 offensive rebounds after the 1st quarter

angel_luv
01-03-2007, 07:40 PM
haha, rasho has 4 offensive rebounds after the 1st quarter

:clap

Man I wish I wasn't stuck at work without league pass. :(

Dajmo Raptors! :cheer

angel_luv
01-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Comeback time Raptors- come on!

angel_luv
01-03-2007, 08:58 PM
It is making me so mad that I am not seeing this game. It is so winnable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=Aii9h.tWROcLCi5NrTY7ymO8vLYF?gid=200 7010328

Only down 6!

angel_luv
01-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Tie game, tie game, tie game! :clap

angel_luv
01-03-2007, 09:18 PM
1:01 left Raps up by 1- so exciting! :D

dave
01-03-2007, 09:27 PM
aaaah fuck
raptors run out of timeouts, lose by 2

ponky
01-03-2007, 09:28 PM
damn u stupid raptors...why the hell were you out of TOs...fuck

angel_luv
01-03-2007, 09:28 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=Aii9h.tWROcLCi5NrTY7ymO8vLYF?gid=200 7010328

So close!

That is the most fun I've ever had watching an automated box score. Valient effort guys! :)

ponky
01-03-2007, 09:29 PM
shit, it's funny how marion messed up again at the line like he did with the jazz but stupid stupid raptors...anyway, suns have barely eked out wins to three eastern conference teams missing key guys, that makes me happy

angel_luv
01-03-2007, 09:30 PM
Get out of here punk... I mean ponky. :lol

angel_luv
01-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Told you it would be an awesome game, Dave. :)

ponky
01-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Get out of here punk... I mean ponky. :lol

don't make me start in on your shpurrrrrrs! oh wait, the wolves are taking care of that for me...haha, i'm outta here, don't wanna ruin your rasho thread

angel_luv
01-03-2007, 09:36 PM
don't make me start in on your shpurrrrrrs! oh wait, the wolves are taking care of that for me...haha, i'm outta here, don't wanna ruin your rasho thread

:loser :lol

Thanks for stopping by... feel free to not do so anymore. :)

dave
01-03-2007, 09:46 PM
that last shot by martin was just horrible (hit the top backboard)
but u can't blame him, without him, the raps woulda lost a long time ago, he had like 2 clutch 3's

frickin sam mitchell, im sure one of teh timeouts he used up earlier was unnecessary

pretty good game, considering the raps were missing 2 key starters and were playing a 3rd string PG for half the game

dave
01-03-2007, 09:56 PM
goddamnit
now i'm hearing that the raps did in fact have a 20 second timeout

WTF....

angel_luv
01-03-2007, 11:00 PM
Oh I hope not- how upsetting that would be!

velik_m
01-04-2007, 03:29 AM
Told you it would be an awesome game, Dave. :)

A loss is never awesome.

Rasho with 6 offensive rebounds???

angel_luv
01-04-2007, 10:49 AM
A loss is never awesome.

Rasho with 6 offensive rebounds???

The result wasn't awesome- the effort was. :)

angel_luv
01-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Sho- 6 points, 7 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals, and 2 blocked shots

angel_luv
01-04-2007, 10:58 AM
http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/quotes_010307.html
SAM MITCHELL
Even though you didn’t win, it was a great game to watch.
Yeah, it was. Our guys, like they’ve done all year, they played hard, they gave ourselves a chance to get back in the game and win it. I thought that three in transition that Steve (Nash) shot, running and leaning, I mean, I can’t think of too many guys who would one, take that shot and two, make it. We got up one and that was just a tough shot. But he’s been doing that for the past two and half years. He made some plays but our guys played well. We realize that Chris (Bosh) played 41 minutes but hopefully he feels good tomorrow and it’s just something that we can build on.

Would he (Chris Bosh) have wanted to come out even if you wanted to take him out?
Well, I didn’t want to take him out and I’m glad he didn’t want to come out. But I thought our guys played well, we did some good things defensively. When we executed what we were supposed to do in that third and fourth quarter, we just had some mental breakdowns in the second quarter with three minutes to go and when we did the things that we were supposed to do, it worked. That’s the thing that we’re trying to drive home to our guys, if we give you something and it doesn’t work, it’s our fault. No problem with changes, but you have to give it a chance. And when we did it, the group that did it, it got us back in the game because that’s a tough team to guard, they have so many guys that can score. We got some stops in the fourth. I’m proud of the way our guys played. We did a lot of good things.

On the zone defense…
We were trying to play zone, make a miss and against that team, to fall back in the zone on missed shots, is extremely difficult. But what we didn’t want to do is when they went small, we didn’t want to try to match that, we felt like our advantage was being a little bit bigger and it helped us on the offensive glass down the stretch. But you have to give them credit, they’re a good team, Steve Nash is a great player. Those guys are good and they made some tough plays and I’m proud of my guys. The way they battled, they played and came and took the lead. I thought Darrick (Martin) and Chris (Bosh) and Andrea (Bargnani) and Mo (Peterson) and AP (Anthony Parker) and all those guys, they just played hard. But not having a time-out at the end hurt us but you know, feeling like you had to take them to just keep ourselves in the game. The only thing more I could ask is if we won the game, can’t ask much more.

CHRIS BOSH
This must be a bitter-sweet return for you…It felt good being back on the court and I picked up where I left off like I wanted to. They just made some big shots down the stretch. We played well in quarters one, three and four but that second quarter was a set back for us.

What did you think of the Steve Nash shots down the stretch?
It takes a lot of guts to take those shots that he (Steve Nash) took but that is why he is who he is. That pull-up three pointer was a tough shot. He (Steve Nash) took some tough shots and when guys hit tough shots like that there is not much you can do.

It looked like the team (Raptors) had momentum in the fourth…
We were just moving the ball and stopping them on defence. We were getting rebounds, we were taking all good shots and that’s how we got back into the game. We knew we could get back into the game if we took good shots. That three-pointer kind of sucked the wind out of us a bit.

How did you feel?
I felt good. There were times that I was huffing and puffing but I’ve worked hard in the past, so that it looks like I’ve been playing the whole time.

DARRICK MARTIN
Thoughts on Steve Nash’s play down the stretch…
That’s why he is the two time MVP. He stepped up and made some big plays. The three he hit on the wing in transition was very big for them. It kept them in the game when we had the momentum.

What did you guys do to get back in the game?
We tried to run a couple screen and rolls and put Amare (Stoudemire) in some pick and rolls. I thought I could get by him (Amare Stoudemire) or create a shot for my teammates. We were able to do that and get into a rhythm offensively.

I guess there wasn’t enough time at the end to run a play?
No we had a play, they just defended it well. Sam (Mitchell) drew up a play that we’ve run a thousand times and they defended it well so you have to tip your hat off to them.

Pero
01-05-2007, 06:57 AM
No mention of Rasho...

angel_luv
01-05-2007, 12:25 PM
I don't think he played many minutes that game. If you look through the thread, you'll see that Coach Mitchell regularyly praises Sho's play- and with good reason. :)

angel_luv
01-06-2007, 01:36 AM
Yea! The Raptors won 105-94 over Atlanta.
http://www.nba.com/games/20070105/ATLTOR/boxscore.html
Sho was 3 of 7 from the field, 1 of 1 from the free throw line ( looks like somebody made a three point play :) ) 7 points, 9 rebounds, and a block and assist.

velik_m
01-06-2007, 03:46 AM
another 6 offensive rebounds game from Rasho.

Rasho is shooting free throws 71% this season.

angel_luv
01-06-2007, 12:30 PM
another 6 offensive rebounds game from Rasho.

Rasho is shooting free throws 71% this season.

Isn't that awesome!

http://i13.tinypic.com/2j2xr10.jpg

http://i18.tinypic.com/2ytpnjq.jpg

angel_luv
01-07-2007, 12:22 PM
Raptors host the Wizards at 12pm San Antonio time today. :)

angel_luv
01-07-2007, 01:24 PM
Sho's played 5 minutes and is already 3-5 from the line- 6 points 3 rebounds.

Who's awesome? He's awesome! :fro

angel_luv
01-07-2007, 02:56 PM
Holy cow! :wow

In the 4th quarter Raptors 95- Washinton 75

:elephant :elephant

Texas_Ranger
01-07-2007, 02:58 PM
HAHAHAH. Raptors are kicking Wizars ass. Thats great.:lol

angel_luv
01-07-2007, 02:59 PM
So awesome!!!!

Sho is in foul trouble but has 8 points 4 rebounds.

He was very active shooting wise today. I think he has found his niche. :)

themvp
01-07-2007, 03:05 PM
Well, I'm glad for them.

angel_luv
01-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Me too. I knew this team was going to rock.

angel_luv
01-07-2007, 03:14 PM
:lol

I was looking something up. I didn't find what I wanted but I did discover I have 12 pages worth of posts about the Raptors.
Never saw it coming. :)

angel_luv
01-07-2007, 03:19 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/tor;_ylt=AtSZ13ayn6ADBbRuRhmsDIm8vLYF
Sho is leading the team in blocks. :)

Texas_Ranger
01-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Washington is coming back in the last minutes.

angel_luv
01-07-2007, 03:20 PM
Team Leaders:

Scoring T. Ford 16.0
Rebounds J. Garbajosa 5.8
Assists T. Ford 8.1
FG% C. Bosh 47.2
FT% J. Graham 85.7
3PT% A. Parker 40.5
Blocks R. Nesterovic 1.2
Steals J. Garbajosa 1.2

angel_luv
01-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Washington is coming back in the last minutes.

A little bit- guess they just had their surge late. Too late! :)
Hold on guys!!!!!

Either that or I need to not post scores until they are final. :lol

Texas_Ranger
01-07-2007, 03:22 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/tor;_ylt=AtSZ13ayn6ADBbRuRhmsDIm8vLYF
Sho is leading the team in blocks. :)

Very impressive. 1,2 blocks per game.

angel_luv
01-07-2007, 03:26 PM
The team is making some silly mistakes in the last minutes. That needs to stop.

Seriously- bad fouls, an inbound violation :wtf, and now 24 second violation.
I am sure the Wizards have turned up the heat, but still.
Composure guys- gonna need it for the play offs. :)

angel_luv
01-07-2007, 03:31 PM
I need to stop with the early score posting. :oops

No one gets props until after they win. :lol

angel_luv
01-07-2007, 03:34 PM
My box score thing blanked out. :pctoss.

Fixed. :)

Why are the Raptors fouling people? :pctoss :pctoss

Texas_Ranger
01-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Rasho 8 pts. and 4 reb. Pretty good, he played just 18:20 minutes.

angel_luv
01-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Make your free throws- please!!!!!!!

Texas_Ranger
01-07-2007, 03:36 PM
116-111 for Toronto. woho.

angel_luv
01-07-2007, 03:36 PM
Game over- hallelujah!
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2007010728
116-111 Raptors.

I am happy for the win, even though it was not an impressive finish.
Although to be fair- it seems like at the end the Wizards finally started playing like themselves.
The Raptors held on and won- so that is good.

angel_luv
01-07-2007, 03:37 PM
For those who watched... why did Bosh get a technical?

RaptorsFan
01-07-2007, 03:43 PM
The finish was embarassing to watch. The Wiz started the full court press, and despite having three PGs on the floor, we just couldn't get the ball past halfcourt. Calderon especially, was playing like a complete spaz, he just looked panicked and confused the whole time.

Bosh's technical was a defensive three seconds call.

angel_luv
01-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Thanks R.F. :)

velik_m
01-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Rasho's minutes are already droping.

He won't play much againt "smallball" Nets either.

angel_luv
01-08-2007, 01:45 PM
His hair does look cool.

angel_luv
01-08-2007, 11:30 PM
http://i3.tinypic.com/436pw5u.jpg

http://www.nba.com/raptors/raptorcom/johnson_010807.html

Raptors New Year’s Resolutions

Paul Johnson is the host of Raptors Today and Raptors pre-and post game shows on Raptors NBA TV. Johnson came to Raptors NBA TV after a stint as a reporter with the Team 1050 radio in Toronto. Paul joins Sherman Hamilton weekdays at 6 pm on Raptors Today.
by Paul Johnson
-raptors.commentator
November 27, 2006

(TORONTO) - Each year at this time we all decide to look at ourselves introspectively and figure out what isn’t working in our lives and what we need to do in order to correct it. Some of you say “I gotta lose 15 pounds” some need to laugh more, some need to cry more, some need to “spend more time with family”.

Whatever it is, we’ve all been there, and inevitably we all usually have some sort of vice that we’ve been trying to eliminate from our lives for years. It could be shopping or eating junk food or smoking. So with the 2007 calendar year now up and running here’s a thought or two about what I think some of the Toronto Raptors could choose as their New Year’s Resolutions.

Andrea Bargnani – continue to work at making your English as good as your jumpshot because when you’re this good, this early, EVERYONE wants to talk to you and the world of the interview has just begun...

Chris Bosh – now that he’s got some really solid teammates around him, CB4 should resolve to stay healthy in ’07 so he can take full advantage of their help and get this franchise into the playoffs for the first time since the 2002 season…

Jose Calderon – should resolve to find a way to destroy any and all tape of him playing this season, so that none of the rest of the teams in the league can see how he has routinely broken them down and scored with layups…

TJ Ford – resolve to work hand-in-hand with the folks at FORD Motor Company to design and build the all-new FORD TJ. It’s a compact sports car with a huge engine, 5 extra gears, tires made from his old sneakers and brakes that would make an 18-wheeler going downhill stop on a dime…

Jorge Garbajosa – should do whatever he can to change the date of birth listed on his driver’s license from December 19th, 1977 to ANYTHING in the 1980’s so he has a better chance than he already does of winning the NBA’s Rookie of the Year Award…

Joey Graham – resolve to watch the numerous highlights from this season where he’s literally jumping OVER people and dunking on them. Watch it, and then keep doing it in every game…

Kris Humphries – privately and anonymously submit your name for the 2007 All-Star Dunk Contest on pure volume alone. Humphries easily has the highest “Dunk-per-minute-played ratio” in the entire league…

Fred Jones – while at the same time as keeping your bionic legs a secret – resolve to use this power for good (high-flying dunks and posterizations) as well as evil (disrespectful rejections of would be dunkers) early and often in the new year…

Darrick Martin – resolve to push the NBA website to add Assistant Coach to your bio on www.nba.com. Now it could read… Darrick Martin / #2 / Guard, Assistant Coach. Oh and keep doing what you’re doing, because it’s clearly working…

Rasho Nesterovic – show all of your younger Raptors teammates any and every memory and emotion you remember from your NBA Finals Championship with the 2005 San Antonio Spurs. Remind them often about what it takes to win one, and how it feels after you’ve done it. Maybe rock the ring in the dressing room a few times a month as well. :D

Anthony Parker – resolve to maintain your status as the “Undercover Guy” on the roster who night in and night out just gets it done – whatever “IT” is. Some night’s the “IT” is scoring and some night’s it’s passing, but EVERY night it involves defense on the opponent’s best player…

Morris Peterson – resolve to work harder on the circus shots. There just hasn’t been as many thus far this season as in year’s past. Maybe try a whole practice with your headband over your eyes, or have your teammates push you to the floor while you shoot jumpers…

Uros Slokar – just for one moment, try and look like your NOT actually having the time of your life in the NBA. On second thought; keep it going Uros – it’s quite refreshing… :)

Pape Sow – continue to work as hard as you clearly already have in your valiant battle to get back onto the court after a devastating neck injury. The day you step on the court for the first time in front of the faithful at Air Canada Centre will result in a well-deserved ovation to remember…

PJ Tucker – resolve to get to work on the “Workin’ like a Baby-Mule” T-shirt’s and get those into the stores A.S.A.P! P.J. and his work ethic on the floor are quickly achieving “Red-Rocket” like status among Raptors fans…

Sam Mitchell – perhaps his New Year’s Resolution should be to find a way to get the “Kevin Garnett is on the way out of Minnesota” rumours to come true so that he can guarantee that the Big Ticket will not eclipse ALL of his franchise records. Mitchell left it all on the floor in every game as a player and the one all-time record he still maintains is for personal fouls in one season with 338. Granted, Garnett’s career high for personal fouls in a season is 224, but still, you never know…

It’s a brand new year for everyone – including the Raptors and the hope for all of them and their fans is that 2007 will bring many things – not the least of which is the first playoff appearance in many years.

angel_luv
01-08-2007, 11:35 PM
http://i14.tinypic.com/334utfm.jpg

http://i13.tinypic.com/33f5e6x.jpg

angel_luv
01-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Important game for the Raptors in New Jersey tonight. Toronto needs to stay ahead of Nets in the standings.

Sorry Nachbar.

Texas_Ranger
01-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Important game for the Raptors in New Jersey tonight. Toronto needs to stay ahead of Nets in the standings.

Sorry Nachbar.

It will be very tough game for both games. I'll say it will be close to the last minutes of the game, but Nets will win in my opinion. Nachbar should start in the starting 5, he's better than uncle Cliff.
:fro

angel_luv
01-09-2007, 02:10 PM
It will be very tough game for both games. I'll say it will be close to the last minutes of the game, but Nets will win in my opinion. Nachbar should start in the starting 5, he's better than uncle Cliff.
:fro

Nachbar's great; unless he is playing Sho or the Spurs I always root for him to win.

After the Nets is Dallas. I would love for the Raptors to beat those creeps! Wouldn't that be awesome!

Rip-Hamilton32
01-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Team Leaders:

Scoring T. Ford 16.0
Rebounds J. Garbajosa 5.8
Assists T. Ford 8.1
FG% C. Bosh 47.2
FT% J. Graham 85.7
3PT% A. Parker 40.5
Blocks R. Nesterovic 1.2
Steals J. Garbajosa 1.2

those arent the overall leaders are they because im pretty sure bosh leads in points and rebounds

dave
01-09-2007, 06:53 PM
new jersey might not have kidd for the game
wanna see what marcus williams can do, he was definitely the steal of the draft

lefty
01-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Raps are gonna be the best in the East next season (if healthy of course)

Colangelo has done a terrific job

Pistons < Spurs
01-09-2007, 08:02 PM
Down 24-9 vs the Nets w/ 3 minutes still to go in the 1st qtr?

dave
01-09-2007, 08:54 PM
they're leading by one at the half

dave
01-09-2007, 09:15 PM
tj and bosh sucking major balls tonight

RaptorsFan
01-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Ford and Bosh brought the suck in large doses tonight. Bargnani and Calderon were the only things keeping this from being an all-time embarassing blowout in Raptors history.

lefty
01-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Ford and Bosh brought the suck in large doses tonight. Bargnani and Calderon were the only things keeping this from being an all-time embarassing blowout in Raptors history.
:clap :clap

FlyHigh07
01-09-2007, 11:11 PM
You know the Raptors AREN'T going anywhere, right? Honestly, don't know why you Raptor fans cheer this team on. Whatever.

dave
01-09-2007, 11:51 PM
You know the Raptors AREN'T going anywhere, right? Honestly, don't know why you Raptor fans cheer this team on. Whatever.

a couple of years ago, i would've said the same thing about the bulls

velik_m
01-10-2007, 03:34 AM
Rasho's minutes are already droping.

He won't play much againt "smallball" Nets either.

Rasho played less than 10 minutes. :/

angel_luv
01-10-2007, 08:10 AM
And the team lost.

angel_luv
01-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Good job Raptors! :)

Raptors 90- Bucks 77

Sho- 1 of 2 from the free throw line, 5 rebounds, and two steals

FlyHigh07
01-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Wow.

dave
01-10-2007, 10:26 PM
wow, what a crap game

against a bucks team that didn't have redd, williams, or villanueva

Rip-Hamilton32
01-10-2007, 10:56 PM
wow, what a crap game

against a bucks team that didn't have redd, williams, or villanueva

or bobby simmons

dave
01-10-2007, 11:02 PM
or bobby simmons
i completely forgot about him...
the raptors should try to trade for him when he gets healthy

angel_luv
01-10-2007, 11:40 PM
Was it an ugly game to watch or what?

At least they got the W.

http://www.nba.com/games/20070110/TORMIL/gameinfo.html?nav=scoreboardhome

RashoFan
01-10-2007, 11:40 PM
Hey sis...check out the thread "They could be twins" in the Spurs Forum

angel_luv
01-10-2007, 11:41 PM
Going now. :)

ploto
01-11-2007, 10:58 PM
Nesterovic a consistent pro for Raps

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J.–There was a time when Sam Mitchell thought he'd tweak his starting five every now and then to find matchups he thought benefited the Raptors.

Rasho Nesterovic changed all that.

The veteran centre's play of late – at both ends of the court – has given Mitchell no reason to make any changes to a starting group that includes point guard T.J. Ford, guard Anthony Parker and forwards Jorge Garbajosa and Chris Bosh.

"It would just be tough to take him out," Mitchell said of Nesterovic. "He's given us more offensively than what we expected but it's his defence and his rebounding, presence on the court. He just knows how to play."

With everyone back from various injuries and Garbajosa seemingly over a flu bug that kept him out of Monday's practice, Mitchell is sending out his now-constant starting five against the New Jersey Nets tonight with first place in the Atlantic Division on the line.

Nesterovic contribution comes in deflections, one-on-one defence and weakside help defence rather than in any usual statistical category. He does nothing flashy but everything consistently.

"I played with Rasho (in Minnesota) so I knew he knew how to play and what a pro he was but coaching him now, you come to appreciate what it is to be a professional in this league," said Mitchell.

Mitchell had originally thought his only constant starters would be Ford, Bosh and Parker. But Garbajosa's ability to guard small forwards who might be smaller and quicker and Nesterovic's solid play all around have changed that idea. It's given the coach a chance to also develop a consistent rotation which, if the last two games indicate anything, will include Jose Calderon, Andrea Bargnani, Joey Graham and Morris Peterson off the bench.

"If I didn't do it against Phoenix (remove Nesterovic to avoid a matchup with Amare Stoudemire), which would have been the game to do it, it's tough to do it against anybody in the East," said the coach.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/169283

Mitchell sticks with Rasho

Primiarily because of injuries, Raps head coach Sam Mitchell has not been able to form a starting five he can send out there night after night. That is no longer the case.

Following an all-hands-on-deck morning shootaround yesterday at the Continental Airlines Arena in East Rutherford, New Jersey, Mitchell said he has pretty much settled on a starting five of Chris Bosh, Rasho Nesterovic, Jorge Garbajosa, T.J. Ford and Anthony Parker that he expects to stay with for the rest of the season, health permitting.

Nesterovic's presence is the only one there that might raise a few eyebrows, but not after you look at what he has done over the past month.

In the 14 games since a Dec. 10th loss in Portland, Nesterovic is averaging 29.8 minutes, 10.3 points and 6.6 rebounds per game.

"Rasho is playing so well right now it would be tough to take him out," Mitchell said. "Not only is he giving us more offensively than we expected, but then there's also his rebounding presence on the court. The kid knows how to play.

"He's really playing well and I think he's having fun. I joke with him all the time, 'When was the last time you had eight, nine, 10 shots a game.' He just laughs."

Mitchell said were he going to change things up he would have done so last Wednesday against Phoenix. The Suns have a small starting five by NBA standards but anything they give up in size they more than make up for in speed.

Mitchell stuck with Nesterovic that night, though.

"If I didn't (sit him down) against Phoenix , it would be tough to do it against anybody especially in the East," Mitchell said.

Asked to stay with a more fleet-footed Amare Stoudemire, Nesterovic gave it his all.

"To Rasho's credit, when we ask him to do something that is tough for him, he busts his hump and tries to do it," he said.

http://torontosun.com/Sports/Basketball/2007/01/10/3276772-sun.html

angel_luv
01-12-2007, 12:11 AM
Hey Ploto! Welcome back. :) Thanks for the articles. :)

angel_luv
01-12-2007, 12:19 AM
"Rasho is playing so well right now it would be tough to take him out," Mitchell said. "Not only is he giving us more offensively than we expected, but then there's also his rebounding presence on the court. The kid knows how to play.

:lol @ the kid reference.

"He's really playing well and I think he's having fun. I joke with him all the time, 'When was the last time you had eight, nine, 10 shots a game.' He just laughs."

I'm so proud and pleased. :)

angel_luv
01-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Raptors about to tip off in Boston.

Let's go boys! :cheer

angel_luv
01-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Sho's doing a great job tonight 8 points 7 rebounds and the 4th quarter to go. :)

RaptorsFan
01-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Just a hideous win by the Raptors. Any other team in the league or even a full strength Celtics team and this is a loss for the Raps.

resistanze
01-12-2007, 10:14 PM
I agree. The Celtics actually had the LEAD in the 2nd quarter.

RaptorsFan
01-12-2007, 10:29 PM
Yeah, I got scared after Bosh got T'd up for staring down his OWN bench for like half a second after posterizing Olowakandi (what a brutal call) and the Celts made their run right after and took the lead.

angel_luv
01-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Yea... Raptors won! :clap

angel_luv
01-15-2007, 11:16 AM
Game Blog: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57920

Box score: http://www.nba.com/games/20070114/DALTOR/boxscore.html

Player Quotes: http://www.nba.com/mavericks/matchup/pgq011407.html

( Raptors page has the wrong link up. :dizzy )

angel_luv
01-15-2007, 03:46 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore;_ylt=Aso.cXY_opwXwExGdtcUQGy8vLYF?gid=200 7011520

Sho with 9 points ( 4 of 6 field 1 of 2 from the line), 4 rebounds, 1 steal and an assist in 22 minutes playing time

Raps lead Philly 78-55 with 1:54 left in the third

angel_luv
01-15-2007, 04:23 PM
Whoosh- Raptors win! :elephant

From the live box score, it seems that the Raps over came a slow start and played well all second half. Accurate?

resistanze
01-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Bah, missed the game cuz of lecture. Amazing how my only lecture for today takes up the slot for today''s game. Anyways, I least they took care of bizness.

ploto
01-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Raptors came out a little lethargic. Back-to-back day games in the NBA are pretty much non-existent. Things settled in the second quarter and then they blew the game open in the third quarter. Got a chance to clear the bench and everything. Bosh was scoring at will- TJ had a double-double- Anthoy shot well and Rasho even chipped in 9 points of his own. Graham and Calderon were good off the bench. It seems that Andrea and Jorge being rookies from Europe are still not used to these back-to-back games. They have said how tired they are the second day, and Andrea played 32 minutes yesterday. It's just nice to have one of those games where you win strong like you should and everyone is happy.

ploto
01-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Pretty nice article:

Revamped Raptors Giving Nets a Run for Atlantic

The Nets are finally showing signs of life. A 6–2 stretch has lifted them out of the doldrums and back into the Titanic Division race, and with Jason Kidd looking strangely rejuvenated by his now public divorce proceedings and Richard Jefferson appearing less gimpy on his troublesome ankle, the Nets might romp to the division title everyone expected before the season, after all.

For now, however, there's still a little fly in the ointment — and it's called the Toronto Raptors. Though little was expected of this team before the season, it entered Tuesday 's games percentage points ahead of the Nets in the standings. Moreover, the Raps' record looks more impressive once you consider a few factors.

Although Toronto still must travel to the dreaded Texas Triangle of San Antonio, Houston, and Dallas, it plays 25 of 43 remaining games north of the border, and 31 of those games will be against the felines of the East rather than the lions of the West. In contrast, the Nets play 26 of their final 44 contests away from the Swamp, including a West Coast swing and a trip to the same dreaded Texas Triangle.

Additionally, the Raptors have already survived a major injury, splitting 12 games while Bosh was out with an injured knee. Since his return, the team has been even better, going 4–3 — two of the losses were close shaves to the nearinvincible Mavs and Suns. (A onesided loss to the Nets was their only bad game in that stretch.)

Indeed, the Raps are playing better now than before because they've revamped their offensive strategy. Toronto began the season with plans to play an up-tempo game similar to that of the Phoenix Suns. What it learned was how hard it is to play that style when you lack great offensive players. Toronto succeeded mostly in forcing long jumpers near the start of the shot clock, and then abandoned the strategy fairly early in the season — but not before sputtering to a 2–8 start.

But this isn't necessarily Toronto's ceiling. The Raptors are likely to improve as the year goes on, as many of their players get on-the-job training. An obvious example is no. 1 overall draft pick Andrea Bargnani, whose play has already improved since the start of the season. Toronto's "veterans" have a learning curve, too: Jorge Garbajosa and Anthony Parker both played in Europe in the past several years. Point guard Jose Calderon and forward Joey Graham are second-year pros, and point guard T.J. Ford is 23 and still developing. Even Chris Bosh, who is already an All-Star at a mere 22, improves every week.

All of which makes the Raptors a serious threat to rain on the Nets' parade. Which is surprising considering nobody much feared the Raptors heading into the season. The team was among the dregs of the East last season. Yet one year later, they appear on pace to a near .500 record and, possibly, a division crown.

You can thank the new management. Under team president Bryan Colangelo, the Raptors have employed a strategy that both Rod Thorn and Isiah Thomas could learn a lot from. Rather than use his cap space to pursue the glitziest signing, as Thomas would have done, Colangelo spread it among several less heralded players to fortify his depth. And instead of crossing his fingers for healthy players, as Thorn essentially did last summer, Colangelo got his team to the point where it's twodeep at every position and virtually immune to injury — as recently demonstrated by solid play during absences by Bosh and Ford.

Still, this strategy would have failed if Colangelo hadn't simultaneously pursued another goal: vastly improving the team's defense.

Colangelo recognized interior defense was a serious problem and endeavored to fix it even if it meant taking on salary. Along those lines, he traded forwards Eric Williams and Matt Bonner to San Antonio for big man Rasho Nesterovic, exchanging two expiring contracts for an overpaid slice of beef, but allowing the rail-thin Bosh to avoid nightly beatings in the middle.

The second plank in Colangelo's strategy was spending some of the club's free agent cash on veteran forward Garbajosa. His smarts and toughness at the defensive end have proven invaluable. As a result, the Raptors are harder to score against in the paint, and thus have made a quantum leap on the defensive charts. Using my Defensive Efficiency statistic, which measures a team's points allowed per 100 opponent possessions, they're at 15th this season up from 29th a year ago.

A couple other moves helped round out the roster. First, Colangelo split the rest of his cash on two wing players, Anthony Parker and Fred Jones, deepening an area where the Raptors were short of bodies. Then, he sent a promising forward, Charlie Villanueva, to Milwaukee for Ford, while allowing holdover point guard Mike James to depart as a free agent. James had a career year last season while Villanueva was second in Rookie of the Year voting, so some wondered if Colangelo had a screw loose. But James has struggled this year, and Villanueva has missed most of the campaign with a shoulder injury. Ford, meanwhile, has blossomed. He is the Raps' no. 2 scorer.

So when you look at the standings in the next few months, understand that Toronto's position is largely the result of outmaneuvering both local clubs this past summer. And despite New Jersey's hot streak, Colangelo's sharp decision making has the Raptors in position to do something that would make their fans' dreams come true — send Vince Carter to the lottery.:lol

LINK (http://www.nysun.com/article/46770)

ploto
01-16-2007, 01:09 PM
One more.

Raptors: Much Improved Squad Turning NBA Heads

Monday’s NBA heavy Martin Luther King Jr. Day schedule included a Toronto Raptors victory over the abandoned Philadelphia 76ers, a 104-86 romp that kept Toronto in first place of the Atlantic division with an 18-21 record. They remain tied with the New Jersey Nets for the distinction but with a season-long five-game home-stand beginning tomorrow night against the Sacramento Kings the Raptors are feeling good. Finally at full strength once again (even Pape Sow has been cleared to practice) and full throttle the Dino’s have a swagger this season that has been absent in Hogtown since the early days of Vince Carter when playoff dreams soared.

Now those dreams are seen through the eyes of an entirely different cast of ballers with little recollection of the dark days that followed Toronto’s three-year postseason run, the only stretch in the franchise’s 11 –year history. Perhaps it is for the better and the reconstruction of the Air Canada Centre locker room this season, along with other scene-changing executions, seems to have helped to remove the stench of a losing environment. Sure the team is still below .500 on the schedule, but promise has been a missing ingredient in Toronto as well, and has returned along with the swagger to hold court. Oddly enough, they may have gained much of it in their two most heartbreaking losses of the middle-aged 2006-07 campaign. Dying second losses against the Phoenix Suns and Dallas Mavericks this season have given the team a sniff of the next level, and the confidence that they can keep up with the league’s best.

“I expect to win every game,” said all-star power forward Chris Bosh after the crushing loss versus the Mavericks. “That’s the honest-to-God truth. I want to win every game and if we don’t win I’m not a happy camper, no matter who it is.

Other teams are recognizing it too.

“By no means do you overlook a team like Toronto,” said Mavericks guard Jason Terry who helped lead his team to the NBA Final last season. “They’re playing very well this year, a team that I’m looking forward to hopefully seeing them in the playoffs. They have that much talent on their team and good coaching.”

The Raptors have won five of their last eight games and are improved on both ends of the court. The consistency of Anthony Parker at the two-guard position has been an anchor on both ends as well and with teams having to pay attention to Chris Bosh, TJ Ford and the emerging Andrea Bargnani, Parker sneaks in for offense and can conserve for defensive pressure. With center Rasho Nesterovic having set the tone for communication on the defensive end, the squad is a more in tune bunch. Bosh is a regular walking double-double and continues to lead by example, emotional and otherwise. Fine tuning and recovery though, is still required to take advantage of the developments in their division.

“They’ve had a tough schedule,” noted Mavericks stalwart Jerry Stackhouse. “I’ve kind of followed them a bit this year, I’m a big fan of Bosh.

“Now they have a few games at home maybe they can kind of get some momentum and distance themselves because it looks like their division is right there for the taking.”

With reports out of New York suggesting that New Jersey Nets point guard Jason Kidd may be on the trading block the Nets could be a team going though major change. Center Nenad Krstic is already injured for the season and the bench in Jersey has been wildly inconsistent. The Boston Celtics are arguably the most injured team in the league with four main players including Paul Pierce and Wally Sczerbiak still out of commission and the bench whittled to just four. The 76ers’ management may have already given up hope for this season after trading away the face of the franchise Allen Iverson and buying out the contract of Chris Webber, the last recognizable star on the team. When all that dust settles it is – surprise, surprise - the New York Knicks that appear to present the biggest challenge to the Toronto’s quest to win the Atlantic.

“When we come out ready to play we can beat anybody,” says Parker. “Especially here at home.”

The Raptors are tied with the fourth-best home record in the eastern conference with a 10-6 mark. That will be threatened by a line of visitors that also include the Charlotte Bobcats, New Orleans Hornets and finally the Celtics to end the stand on January 26. Before that trio they will face the Utah Jazz on Friday in another chance to test one of the NBA’s elite teams. They are also coming back from Philly having won their last three road games, another sign that their journey to consistency is real. It was stated before here that the decorated traditions that follow acquisitions like Nesterovic, Parker, forward Jorge Garbajosa, Bargnani and Parker are huge in bridging the mental gap between losing and winning. The discovery of confidence sits on the arch of that crossing and helps determined travelers to the other side. The Raptors appear to be on that arch, slowly but surely making their way across.

"Today was big for us, the easy thing to do is to think about it all day today and not try to redeem ourselves,” said Bosh after Monday’s victory in Philadelphia, less than 24 hours after the Dallas loss. “Sometimes when you have a loss like [Sunday's] it can put you on a slump, but we've bounced back and go into our home-stand with our heads high."

LINK (http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_20393.shtml)

dave
01-17-2007, 08:34 PM
hell just froze over,

rasho dunked....

ploto
01-17-2007, 09:43 PM
Great win for the Raptors against Sacramento!!

Toronto 101, Sacramento 85

By ROB GILLIES, Associated Press Writer
January 17, 2007

TORONTO (AP) -- Morris Peterson scored 22 points and Chris Bosh added 20 to help the Atlantic Division-leading Toronto Raptors to a 101-85 victory over the Sacramento Kings on Wednesday night.

Jose Calderon had 11 points and nine assists for the Raptors, who won the first of a five-game homestand. Toronto plays three other teams with losing records during the stand.

Mike Bibby scored 21 points and Ron Artest had 18 for the Kings, who have lost seven straight -- their longest skid since closing the 1997-98 season with seven consecutive losses.

The Kings play at Boston on Friday before Artest returns to Detroit on Saturday -- his first game there since the brawl.

The Raptors have won six of their last eight and, since getting off to a 2-8 start, have turned their season around by going 17-13 to lift them to the top of the NBA's weakest division.

Toronto's bench outscored Sacramento's 50-12.

Peterson, who lost his job in the starting lineup earlier this season, went 4-for-6 from behind the 3-point arc. He also had five rebounds.

The teams traded leads in the first three quarters before Toronto took control in the fourth -- outscoring Sacramento 33-16.

Toronto went 8-for-20 from beyond the 3-point arc, including 3-for-4 in the fourth quarter.

Jorge Garbajosa's 3-point play, consecutive layups by Calderon and a 3-pointer by Peterson gave Toronto a 89-77 lead with 5:43 left.

Garbajosa's 3-pointer and Bosh's two free throws made it 101-85 with a minute left.

The Kings went just 6-for-17 from the field in the fourth.

Notes

The Raptors play eight of the next 10 at the Air Canada Centre, where they're 11-6. Sacramento center Brad Miller returned after missing two games due to personal reasons. Miller had just two points. ... The Kings are just 4-11 on the road.
LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=AvzwrgPQbrugHP3L2zyeBgK8vLYF?gid=200701 1728)

dave
01-17-2007, 10:08 PM
2 games till .500, lol

angel_luv
01-17-2007, 11:51 PM
2 games till .500, lol

Raps are movin on up! :fro

Box:

http://www.nba.com/games/20070117/SACTOR/boxscore.html

angel_luv
01-17-2007, 11:52 PM
hell just froze over,
rasho dunked....

The big guy can throw it down. :)

dave
01-18-2007, 12:36 AM
and they're probably going to lose the next 20 games to the bulls
jalen rose cursed the team
damnit

angel_luv
01-18-2007, 12:42 AM
eh? :)

ploto
01-18-2007, 10:26 AM
"(Actually), we don't really have a lot of high maintenance guys. I'm probably the highest maintenance guy in that room," Mitchell said. "But as far as our players, even Chris (Bosh), I don't have to go out of my way to say much to Chris as far as praising him or stroking him. Bryan's (Colangelo) done a very good job putting together a team where we've got a group of guys that we treat like men. I don't want to yell and scream and berate guys, because you don't have to do that."

LINK (http://torontosun.com/Sports/Basketball/2007/01/18/3400173-sun.html)

Slomo
01-18-2007, 11:24 AM
hell just froze over,

rasho dunked....
I'm a big fan but :lol

Dunking is not his strong suit.

One thing that I've noticed is that Rasho is getting a lot of offensive boards. I hope to catch a Raptor game one of these days, because his new role must be quite different.

Slomo
01-18-2007, 11:32 AM
"article about treating the players like men" I personally think that a professional player at NBA level should be able to get over something trivial like getting yelled at by the coach - specially when deserved. I don't think that's the worst that you have to endure on your way to the NBA.

But if Mitchell can get the results he wants without yelling more power to him and congratulations to his players for being the pros that they are expected to be.

angel_luv
01-18-2007, 12:03 PM

One thing that I've noticed is that Rasho is getting a lot of offensive boards. I hope to catch a Raptor game one of these days, because his new role must be quite different.

All the more reason for you to come visit. Raptors play here in February. :)

Slomo
01-18-2007, 12:22 PM
All the more reason for you to come visit. Raptors play here in February. :)You temptress :lol

angel_luv
01-18-2007, 01:20 PM
You temptress :lol

Is it working? :angel

ploto
01-18-2007, 02:28 PM

All those people who hate small ball should catch a glimpse of big ball-- 3 seven footers on the court at the same time-- Rasho, Bargnani, and Bosh. It has been quite effective this year when Mitchell goes to it. It, of course, helps that Andrea can knock down 3's and Bosh can hit jump shots, too. I think Rasho just has more room inside, and he's getting alot of easy baskets off of screen and rolls to the basket- like this dunk.

But mostly, he is having fun playing basketball. It is exciting to get to be a part of an upcoming team with lots of young, enthusiastic players who play each game like it's important. And to be someone who is looked at as a mentor by the younger players is a role that Rasho was perfectly made for.

Slomo
01-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Is it working? :angel
Yeah you know how difficult it is to get me to a Spurs game :lol

All those people who hate small ball should catch a glimpse of big ball-- 3 seven footers on the court at the same time-- Rasho, Bargnani, and Bosh. It has been quite effective this year when Mitchell goes to it. It, of course, helps that Andrea can knock down 3's and Bosh can hit jump shots, too. I think Rasho just has more room inside, and he's getting alot of easy baskets off of screen and rolls to the basket- like this dunk.

But mostly, he is having fun playing basketball. It is exciting to get to be a part of an upcoming team with lots of young, enthusiastic players who play each game like it's important. And to be someone who is looked at as a mentor by the younger players is a role that Rasho was perfectly made for.That's something I would like to see, as you know I'm not a fan of the latest NBA fad of small gun 'n run teams. I hope the Raptors turn this lineup into something good. It's so easy to mess up talent in the NBA.

ploto
01-18-2007, 03:47 PM
That's something I would like to see, as you know I'm not a fan of the latest NBA fad of small gun 'n run teams. I hope the Raptors turn this lineup into something good. It's so easy to mess up talent in the NBA.
Well, they always start Bosh, Rasho, and Garbajosa. Depending on the opponent, match-ups, fouls, ... when Bargnani comes in, sometimes it is for Rasho and sometimes for Garbo. If the opponent has a big man that they really want to leave Rasho on, they might leave him in there and go with the triple towers. If instead, they really need Garbo to guard a high-scoring SF, then Rasho comes out. Either way, it's a pretty big line-up and has led to offensive boards.

RaptorsFan
01-18-2007, 07:57 PM
eh? :)
The curse of Jalen Rose is that the team that Rose is on in the Bulls/Raptors series can't beat the other. The Raptors had won 16 games in a row against the Bulls until the Bulls traded him to Toronto. Since then the Bulls have won 16 in a row against the Raptors. It's really quite remarkable.

ploto
01-19-2007, 12:02 AM
Over the past 5 games, the Raptors are #1 in the NBA in points allowed. Now, they haven't played all that many good teams over this stretch, but these 5 opponents do average 98.8 ppg and have instead averaged against the Raptors 86.2 ppg. Alex English was asked today about the improvement in the Raptors defense and whom did he single out-- Rasho.

Alex English said, "Rasho Nesterovic in the middle does a good job of directing our defense. That's the biggest thing, having him in there directing it." That is quite a compliment from a well-respected man like him.

BeerIsGood!
01-19-2007, 12:06 AM
Rasho is a good defender when he hustles and gets aggressive. It looks like he's doing just that.

ploto
01-19-2007, 08:25 AM
Raptors solving winning equation

Young squad is way ahead of last year's rebuilding project

You'd think Rasho Nesterovic might be a little ticked off. In the three seasons previous to his current tenure with the Toronto Raptors, after all, he played a key role on one of the league's finest teams, starting all 70 games he played for the San Antonio Spurs when they won the championship in 2004-05.

And now that he's playing in the NBA's second division – a scraggly gaggle of have-nots known as the Eastern Conference – the 30-year-old 7-footer finds himself charting below his career average in points, rebounds and blocked shots. No matter that he is playing four fewer minutes a game than he did during his San Antonio run. Nesterovic – even if he's not particularly pleased with the situation – isn't betraying a hint of self-interested angst.

"There's a bunch of young guys, good guys, guys who can make history, and it's very nice to play among them," Nesterovic said. "We have a really good foundation for something big to happen in the future."

For the long-suffering loyalists of Canada's only NBA team, that's the heartening difference in the equation this time around. The Raptors have been here before, toying with .500 as another NBA season reaches its halfway mark – as it will with the conclusion of tonight's Raptors-Jazz game at the Air Canada Centre. But this edition of the club, with its 19-21 win-loss record, isn't simply five games better than its counterpart a season ago. It is also many bricks ahead in a rebuilding effort that, for too long, looked laughably hopeless.

A year ago, Rob Babcock was the in-over-his-head (and soon-to-be-fired) general manager. The project centre was a human bicep named Rafael Araujo. The point guard was a centre-of-his-universe chucker, Mike James. And you had to wonder why, in the name of good sense, Chris Bosh, the soon-to-be all-star forward, would even consider signing a contract extension.

Today, with Bosh locked up through the 2009-10 season after his summertime re-signing, the point guard is the capable and improving T.J. Ford, 23, whose off-season acquisition (for Charlie Villanueva) was widely panned by U.S. pundits who didn't understand how desperately this club needed a capable quarterback. And the backup point guard, in a rare remnant of Babcockian foresight, is the occasionally marvellous Jose Calderon. The project centre, Andrea Bargnani, is a 10.2-points-per-game backup who – for all his obvious weaknesses at age 21 – already causes problems for defences.

With Bryan Colangelo atop a basketball brain trust that includes Maurizio Gherardini, formerly one of Europe's foremost executives, the reasons for optimism are many.

Not to say it's gone exactly as Colangelo planned. There was talk of playing a breakneck pace at season's outset. And while the Raptors offence is among the league's top-10 fastest-paced, they're hardly the once-advertised blur. Bosh's 12-game shelving with a knee injury was weathered with unforeseen aplomb. Fred Jones, touted as an impact free-agent acquisition, has slumped and sat. And Bargnani's swift emergence wasn't predicted by even his staunchest supporters.

That's not to say leading the Atlantic Division, as the Raptors currently are, is Herculean work. (The entire division is sub-.500, of course. And the first-place team in the East, the Cleveland Cavaliers, possesses a 23-15 win-loss record that would currently be good for seventh place in the West, which speaks to the league's most stunning geographical talent discrepancy in recent memory.)

Still, the ongoing Hogtown makeover is heartening to anyone who cares about the game. And it has been alarmingly quiet when you compare it to recent seasons in which zanier plotlines – a soap-opera drama starring Rafer Alston and a season-long monologue by James – dominated the headlines. This year, Jones, for all his troubles, hasn't groused. Morris Peterson's camp has been a trade-rumour generation station, but Peterson appears to have mostly grasped a concept that many former colleagues who wanted out of town failed to grasp: the better he plays, the easier he'll be to deal. And Nesterovic, displaying one of the character traits that made him attractive to the club when it was looking for a centre in the off-season, hasn't moped.

On the contrary, yesterday, the usually deadpan Nesterovic sounded something approaching animated. Speaking about his new club's new outlook, his eyes and his smile grew wide.

"These guys are 21, 22, 23 years old," he said. "And ... all the best players, they start giving their best performances when they're 26 or 27, (that's) when they mature and start to understand.

"You can just imagine Bargnani and T.J. and Chris staying together for 10 years."

LINK (http://www.thestar.com/columnists/article/172734)

ploto
01-19-2007, 11:39 PM
Well, the Raptors put up another good fight against a top NBA team but came out on the short end again. With about 3 minutes to go they were only behind by 3 points if I remember correctly, but 2 costly turnovers in the last minute and a half put the game out of reach. The worst part was all the lay-ups missed by the Raptors in the first three quarters. All kinds of Raptors were missing easy lay-ups and it did not even include Rasho! :D By the way, Boozer was impressive.

Still, a good January so far for the Raptors who unfortunately had to play Phoenix, Dallas and Utah all in the past 2 weeks or so. Still, they are 6- 4 in January (better than the Spurs record the past 10 games :lol), and more importantly 5-1 against the East this month. A couple days rest for the weary, with a game against Charlotte on Monday. Always nice to see Rasho and Primoz together.

angel_luv
01-20-2007, 02:51 AM
Another nice Sho article- thanks Ploto. :)

Only 3 games to .500

Dajmo Raptors! :)

ploto
01-20-2007, 11:24 AM
I bet Spurs fans wish they would hear Pop say this:

"I think as a coaching staff what we've basically done is lived and learned," Mitchell said. "We have a way that we play things and we stick to it regardless of who we play. In the past we have changed things up to fit the teams that we were playing. Now it's 'if you're going to beat us, you're going to beat us.' They're are going to be nights when it doesn't work but you can't keep changing it up."

LINK (http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Basketball/2007/01/20/3413181-sun.html)

ploto
01-22-2007, 08:18 AM
Early rapid-fire moves hitting targets

Whether it's picking cufflinks or picking talent, Bryan Colangelo seems to know what he's doing.

But that doesn't prevent the Toronto Raptors president and general manager from asking, on occasion, what others think. Even reporters.

Next month will mark his first full year on the job. Last Friday's loss to the Utah Jazz was the Toronto Raptors' 41st outing in an 82-game National Basketball Association regular season, the official halfway point.

How does Colangelo think he's doing?

Colangelo is too clever to offer himself a grade on his renovation project, in which nine new players were added to make over a roster that was 27-55 last season, and missed the playoffs for the fourth consecutive year.

But in broad strokes, he's pleased...

Trading for Rasho Nesterovic: He's the best-paid player on the team, and more expensive than the likes of Joel Przybilla and Nazr Mohammed, two other centres that were available on the market, but Nesterovic is a quiet leader, a consummate professional and delivers the best post defence the Raptors have had since Antonio Davis's hey-day. And his contract is up after the 2008-09 season.

LINK (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070122.RAPTORS22/TPStory/Sports)

angel_luv
01-22-2007, 01:07 PM
It's Brezec vs. Sho today. I wish I was getting to watch.

On a side note, does anyone else see the resemblance?

http://i3.tinypic.com/42u8mfb.jpghttp://i13.tinypic.com/2q029ad.jpg
http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0093779/Ss/0093779/6120_16_2.jpg.html?path=gallery&path_key=0093779

angel_luv
01-22-2007, 06:31 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo;_ylt=AvznH2syh46TDo2KByjNYfOO0bYF?slug=getty-71796618ds014_jazz_raps_jpg_10_51_07_pm&prov=getty

Picture of Sho from last game.

ploto
01-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Brezec did not make the trip to Toronto- now it's his back.

Raptors were strong in the first quarter- weak in the second- and dominated the third. Big men for Raptors (Bosh, Rasho, Garbajosa, and Bargnani) combined for 52 points. Raptors played the big guys- even though Charlotte is kind of small- used great zone defense in the third quarter to hold the Bobcats to 8 third quarter points.

Rasho with 5-8/ 10 points/ 4 rebounds/ 4 assists/ 2 blocks. Got to rest the whole fourth quarter. Okafor- the guy averaging 11.3 rebounds per game- 5 tonight, and only 3 with Rasho in the game. :)

Sorry Matt.
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070123/capt.fng10401230153.bobcats_raptors_basketball_fng 104.jpg

TORONTO (AP) -- Chris Bosh scored 20 points and Jose Calderon had a season-high 19 points and 11 assists to lead the Toronto Raptors to a 105-84 victory over the Charlotte Bobcats on Monday night.

Andrea Bargnani added 14 points for the Raptors, who played without starting point guard T.J. Ford (sore right ankle). Calderon, Toronto's backup point guard, has played well with Ford hobbled in recent games.

Toronto allowed Charlotte to shoot 58 percent in the first half, but the Raptors stifled Charlotte's offense with a zone defense in the third quarter.

The Raptors outscored the Bobcats 21-8 in the third, when Charlotte shot just 4-for-18.

Gerald Wallace had 19 points and nine rebounds for the Bobcats, who had won five of their previous seven. Raymond Felton had 19 points and eight assists after missing two games with an ankle injury.

Bargnani, the No. 1 pick in the draft, finished 5-for-10 from the field. Adam Morrison, the third pick, went 1-for-6 for just three points.

Toronto's Pape Sow received a loud ovation when he entered the game in the fourth quarter. Sow played his first game since having neck surgery to repair a fractured vertebrae after falling and hitting another player during practice in the Las Vegas summer league. :clap :clap

Toronto is 2-1 on a five-game homestand that finish with Boston and New Orleans.

Calderon's 3-pointer and Bosh's jumper made it 90-68 with 5:27 left in the fourth. Calderon added another 3-pointer, giving Toronto a 97-71 lead with 3:30 remaining.

Bargnani had nine points in Toronto's 37-point first quarter -- its highest-scoring opening period this season. Wallace had 11 of his 15 first-half points in the second quarter, cutting the lead to three by halftime.

Game notes
Ford's ankle was stepped on Dec. 29 against the Chicago Bulls. He missed three games before returning for Toronto's last eight games. "He's just having a lot of pain," coach Sam Mitchell said. "It could be one game, two games or the rest of the week." ... Toronto outscored Charlotte 49-31 in the second half.

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=270122028)

angel_luv
01-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Oh you beat me, Ploto! :)

For some reason I couldn't access the forum at work. :pctoss

Sho was amazing- I am so proud of him. :)

lefty
01-22-2007, 11:33 PM
I like the Raps ; Props to Colangelo for not firing Mitchell ; this is the first season he can coach a respectable NBA team ; he is a good, competitive, hard-working coach.

One negative though : I can't stand that Raps broadcaster anymore ; even when they beat the worst NBA teams, he is always like : "Raptors win, Raptors win, Raptors win!!!" ; man , this guy is sick, wicked and nasty

ploto
01-23-2007, 10:05 AM
Great photo from huddle last night at upi site. You can't post their photos or link to them, but check for yourself.

Agloco
01-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Odd thing about Rasho is that when we let him go, it was without much fanafare.....

He did hold the middle fairly well. Bad thing letting Nazr and Rasho go at the same time.......

Rashos problem? Hes got feet made of stone...........

angel_luv
01-23-2007, 02:15 PM
Quotes from last night.

http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/quotes_012207.html

I wish Sho would stop sneaking out before people can interview him. I assume that is what keeps happening. :lol

ploto
01-23-2007, 05:56 PM
I wish Sho would stop sneaking out before people can interview him. I assume that is what keeps happening. :lol
Actually, Rasho has probably done more post-game radio and TV interviews and post-practice interviews in 3 months in Toronto than in 3 years in San Antonio.

ploto
01-23-2007, 06:02 PM
For those wanting Mo Pete, I don't think he is going anywhere. Before I think his agent was pushing for a trade with it being a contract year and all, but now he has really settled well into his role off the bench. After last night's win, he was grabbing his shooting shirt and showing off the Raptors logo. I think he's staying put.

angel_luv
01-23-2007, 07:55 PM
Actually, Rasho has probably done more post-game radio and TV interviews and post-practice interviews in 3 months in Toronto than in 3 years in San Antonio.

I wish I had league pass!
Would you have links to any of this by chance?

ploto
01-23-2007, 11:54 PM
Unfortunately for people in the US, league pass rarely picks up the Toronto feed. Usually it is the opponents' feed- whether at home or away.

You can listen to the games online on Fan590 but you have to make sure to connect to the feed before the game has started because they have to block the feed once the game starts. I haven't tried it myself, but people tell me if they are already conencted that it does not disconnect them. The problem is that usually you are at work- huh?

angel_luv
01-24-2007, 01:02 PM
Unfortunately for people in the US, league pass rarely picks up the Toronto feed. Usually it is the opponents' feed- whether at home or away.

You can listen to the games online on Fan590 but you have to make sure to connect to the feed before the game has started because they have to block the feed once the game starts. I haven't tried it myself, but people tell me if they are already conencted that it does not disconnect them. The problem is that usually you are at work- huh?

A lot of times, yes.

It seems like the Raptors and the Spurs have a very similiar schedule.
Next time I am at home for one of Sho's games I will try the radio idea.
Thanks. :)

ploto
01-24-2007, 09:49 PM
Unbelievable come behind win for the Raptors! :elephant They never led this game until there were 28 seconds to go in the fourth quarter!! Big 3 by Bosh with a minute to go to tie the game and then Jose took over. Raptors go on a 26-6 run in the fourth to go from 15 down to 5 up with 2 seconds to go in the game! Rasho had a good night defensively- 6 boards in 21 minutes, 1 block, and 1 steal- and Chandler only managed 8 points and 5 boards in 35 minutes with 5 turnovers - but an off night offensively for Rasho. :(

By the way- the Raptors announcers love Devin Brown.

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/getty/10/full.getty-71796620rt06_hornets_raptrs_9_03_47_pm.jpg

angel_luv
01-25-2007, 12:14 AM
Whoosh- go Raptors!!!! :elephant :clap :D

ploto
01-25-2007, 12:56 AM
Whoosh- go Raptors!!!! :elephant :clap :D
Raptors really missed Andrea tonight. He's ill. So along with already missing TJ, they struggled, but won. :)

angel_luv
01-25-2007, 01:01 AM
Raptors really missed Andrea tonight. He's ill. So along with already missing TJ, they struggled, but won. :)

Aw, feel better guys! :)

Thanks for the awesome game recap, Ploto. :)

angel_luv
01-25-2007, 01:24 AM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!! Golden State came from behind and beat the Nets! :elephant

http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Div.html

ploto
01-25-2007, 09:08 AM
The pieces are falling into place

After all, even considering the very inexact science that is the GM's lot in life, he's still waiting for his first wrong move.

The greatest GMs in any sport have their mistakes on the record. They're unavoidable, really, given the unpredictability of human beings. Sooner or later, every one of them will have a Mike Sitotka Moment.

Not Colangelo, though. At least not yet. Look at his deals: Charlie Villanueva for Ford, panned in some circles as trading a big for a small, against the common wisdom, has worked out just fine. No Raptor fan would reverse it. Likewise, Matt Bonner and Eric Williams for Rasho Nesterovic has turned into a steal. :spin Even Rafael Araujo for Kris Humphries has worked out in Toronto's favour. Humphries chips in a little here and there and doesn't need to do much to win that trade.

Those are the trades. The draft? Anybody want anyone other than Bargnani? Uh. No. Colangelo's free agents were Anthony Parker, Jorge Garbajosa, Fred Jones and bringing back Darrick Martin.

What it all adds up to is some depth on the roster, for the first time in years, and it's the depth of manpower that brought about games like last night's.

LINK (http://www.thestar.com/columnists/article/174753)

ploto
01-26-2007, 03:11 PM
The Quoteless Forest

Toronto is blessed with a wonderful array of athletes and some of the dullest humans on the planet

It is post-game in the Raptors locker room and Chris Bosh is being interviewed in one corner and Andrea Bargnani is being interviewed another and Morris Peterson is talking to the cameras.

And none of them are saying a thing...

Welcome to the Quoteless Forest, otherwise known as Toronto The Bland. This is a city blessed with a wonderful array of athletic talent that happens to double as some of the dullest humans this planet has ever known.

Bosh, a nice guy. Kaberle, seemingly a nice guy. Damn, we have all kinds of nice guy athletes...

Oh, where have you gone Jalen Rose? Or Mike James or Rafer Alston? How is it all the insta-quotes have disappeared?

The Raptors used to be a better story than a team. There was always a John Salley, a Charles Oakley (if you follow along) or Antonio Davis to fill in the blanks.

Hell, the Raptors used to be so good even the wives and the mothers took part. If you couldn't stand listening to the condescending Lenny Wilkens -- and who could? -- there was always Mrs. Doug Christie and Kendra Davis and Vince Carter's mommy, Michelle, to fill the notebook. :lol

LINK (http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2007/01/26/3452470-sun.html)

ploto
01-26-2007, 09:53 PM
Raptors at .500!!

Victory over Boston 96-90. Raptors came out strong with a double digit lead in the first quarter, but a weak late third quarter gave Boston the lead. A 17-0 run in the fourth quarter put the game away as Boston did not score for 6 or 7 minutes. Anthony Parker is a stud- on both ends of the floor. How there was not more interest in bringing him to the NBA is beyond me. The guy can shot (7-9 from the three point line tonight) and is almost as good a defender as Bowen. Bosh with a quiet 26 and 8. Rasho played 24 minutes- grabbed 8 boards and had 2 blocks, 2 points and 1 assist. Tough night for Andrea but he is coming off being ill. Raptors with 27 assists on 31 baskets, and that's without their starting point guard! 8 of the 9 main players had at least 1 assist.

angel_luv
01-26-2007, 11:24 PM
Raptors at .500!!

Whoosh! How exciting! Yes!!!!!!!! :elephant :elephant

lefty
01-26-2007, 11:27 PM
Raptors win, Raptors win, Raptors win Raptors win, Raptors win, Raptors win
Raptors win, Raptors win, Raptors win Raptors win, Raptors win, Raptors win :dizzy

angel_luv
01-26-2007, 11:39 PM
http://i13.tinypic.com/2ex8nk1.jpg

http://i14.tinypic.com/2ljt4k9.jpg

http://i3.tinypic.com/2je1mbo.jpg

lefty
01-27-2007, 02:16 AM
Raptors win, Raptors win, Raptors win Raptors win, Raptors win, Raptors win
Raptors win, Raptors win, Raptors win Raptors win, Raptors win, Raptors win :dizzy

Aaaah, that's better Chuck

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/7730/chuckswirsky150x187ne9.jpg

angel_luv
01-27-2007, 02:23 AM
:lol

angel_luv
01-27-2007, 06:13 PM
Raptors tip off against the Pacers soon.

Let's go Raptors! :cheer :D

angel_luv
01-27-2007, 07:29 PM
Holy Cow! :wow

Sho already has 10 points ( 4 of 4 from the field; 2 of 2 from the line) 2 rebounds and 1 block!

There is still 3 minutes left in the first.

Fear the Sho! :fro

resistanze
01-27-2007, 09:05 PM
You know the raptors lost when Marquis Daniels is draining shots from past halfcourt after a good defensive stand by the Raps :lol

angel_luv
01-27-2007, 09:06 PM
What is going on with our team? :(

I was worried because it tends to jinx things when I mention stats mid game.

I should have waited, but I really wanted to give Sho due props.

angel_luv
01-27-2007, 09:12 PM
Come on Raps- make a game out of it. Let's go!

ploto
01-27-2007, 10:30 PM
Raptors went smaller most of the second half and got killed. They were tired after a game last night, having to get through the snow to the airport, being stuck at the airport for a couple of hours, and then not getting in until the middle of the night.

Jose is in amazing shape, but all those minutes with TJ hurt look like they caught up to him tonight. At least they don't have another game until Wednesday because now they hit a stretch of tough games.

Unfortunately, Boki is having a great game for the Nets tonight.

angel_luv
01-27-2007, 11:07 PM

He's been having a great year. :)

Pero
01-28-2007, 02:57 PM

Shut up ploto! :D
That`s great for Boki. It looks like he`s playing really well the last 4 or so games.

ploto
01-29-2007, 12:53 PM
Shut up ploto! :D
That`s great for Boki. It looks like he`s playing really well the last 4 or so games.
I meant unfortunately for the Raptors. I have been a Boki backer for some time and said he was just what the Spurs needed when they decided not to bring Hedo back. No one listened.

ploto
01-29-2007, 12:55 PM
The Raptors have a planned visit today to the Children's hospital, and hopefully there will be a nice story or some pictures available tomorrow. Usually, the entire team goes.

angel_luv
01-29-2007, 02:36 PM
The Raptors have a planned visit today to the Children's hospital, and hopefully there will be a nice story or some pictures available tomorrow. Usually, the entire team goes.

I'll look forward to your posting whatever is available.

This morning, I bought my ticket for the Raptors game here in February- so excited about seeing Sho! :elephant

ploto
01-29-2007, 11:55 PM
http://community.elevate-k.ca/blogs/media/users/admin/kyleigh_raptros.jpg

Pero
01-30-2007, 08:01 AM
I meant unfortunately for the Raptors. I have been a Boki backer for some time and said he was just what the Spurs needed when they decided not to bring Hedo back. No one listened.

Do you know why he didn`t play last night? It`s kind of weird he didn`t play at all after a 22 point performance. Is he injured?

velik_m
01-30-2007, 08:03 AM
Boki was sick. (or so they say)

ploto
01-30-2007, 08:08 AM
It is not always easy to get professional athletes to give up their few and far between moments of free time during the season but yesterday there was no coaxing needed to get a full Raptors roster together for the team's annual visit to the Hospital for Sick Children.

"Kids are special," Chris Bosh said. "Any time you get an opportunity to bring something positive into their lives you do it."

LINK (http://torontosun.com/Sports/Basketball/2007/01/30/3481466-sun.html)

ata
01-30-2007, 03:20 PM
Do you know why he didn`t play last night? It`s kind of weird he didn`t play at all after a 22 point performance. Is he injured?
Trade?

ploto
01-30-2007, 06:11 PM
The Raptors took time Sunday for some team building by
taking cooking lessons at George Brown College in Toronto.

http://www.nba.com/media/raptors/uros_350_cooking.jpg

http://www.nba.com/media/raptors/jorge_350_cooking.jpg

http://www.nba.com/raptors

angel_luv
01-30-2007, 11:12 PM
Ah... no picture of Sho in his hat. :depressed.

Cute pic of Slokar though. :) What a fun way to bond.

angel_luv
01-31-2007, 06:27 PM
Great Huddle Picture!
http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/big_picture.html
Let's go Raptors! :cheer :D

angel_luv
01-31-2007, 07:08 PM
I can hear the game!!!!! :elephant :D

angel_luv
01-31-2007, 07:49 PM
When Sho scores, the announcer: " Rasho breaks out the Slovenian Swing Shot!" :lol

angel_luv
01-31-2007, 09:20 PM
:elephant :elephant :cheer :D :cheer :elephant :elephant

Back at .500 with a huge win!

Raps 119 Wizards 109
Sho- 8 points and on 3-4 shooting. 2 of 2 from the line. 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 blocked shot.

When Chris Bosh has just made 13 straight field goals! Holy cow!
Announcer said: “ I’m calling him Government after that one because he is taxing people- 13 in a row.”

Finished with 34 points, 15 straight field goals!

Raps 60% from the field for the game.

angel_luv
01-31-2007, 09:21 PM
Whoosh!

http://www.nba.com/games/20070131/WASTOR/boxscore.html

RaptorsFan
01-31-2007, 09:29 PM
Bosh with a layup, steal and a buzzer beater from the other free throw line within 2.6 seconds at the end of the third.

And that spin move and dunk on Blatche at the end of the game was just filthy. Bosh was amazing tonight.

ploto
01-31-2007, 09:33 PM
Actually, Rasho was 4/5 and 2/2 FT with 10 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists and 3 blocks.

He even had a two-handed put back dunk off a Garbo miss. :elephant

Everything went right for the Raptors. To end the third quarter, they had the ball with about 22 seconds; ran the clock down; perfect pass to Bosh for easy lay-in with about 2 seconds left. Wizards in bound to almost half court, try a long pass to the free throw line. Bosh intercepts, takes one step, and from almost 3/4 length with 0.2 seconds hurls it up and it's nothing but net! He started 0-4 and then hit 15 consecutive shots.

Jose has been amazing. He's the back-up point guard, starting because Ford is just coming back from his injury, and playing against the best team right now in the East. He only goes 10/13- has 24 points and 11 assists!

angel_luv
01-31-2007, 09:41 PM
Actually, Rasho was 4/5 and 2/2 FT with 10 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists and 3 blocks.

Even better! I was already thrilled. :)

The Raptors are for real! :fro

angel_luv
01-31-2007, 09:57 PM
And New Jersey lost. Thank you Detroit. Sorry Boki.
http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=270131017
Pistons 113 Nets 89.

ploto
01-31-2007, 10:04 PM
Bargnani & Garbajosa Named as Participants in Rookie Sophomore Game

(January 31, 2007) -- Raptors forwards Andrea Bargnani and Jorge Garbajosa have been selected to play in the 2007 T-Mobile Rookie Challenge & Youth Jam during the NBA All-Star Weekend. Overall, there were nine rookies and nine sophomore players chosen to compete in the game on Friday, February 16 in Las Vegas at Thomas & Mack Center.

The participants in the T-Mobile Rookie Challenge & Youth Jam were selected by the NBA’s assistant coaches, with each team submitting one ballot. The head coaches for the Rookie and Sophomore teams will be the lead assistants from the 2007 NBA All-Star Game coaching staffs.

Through 43 games this season, Bargnani is averaging 10.1 points, third among rookies, 3.7 rebounds and 23.2 minutes. He has led the team in bench scoring 18 times and ranks fourth among rookies with 0.88 blocked shots.

Bargnani recorded a season-best 23 points December 12 at Orlando. In 28 games since December 1, he is averaging 11.5 points, 4.3 rebounds, 1.16 blocked shots and 27.1 minutes. During that stretch he has recorded double-digit point totals on 19 occasions.

Garbajosa has started 35 of 42 games this season and ranks sixth in rookie scoring (8.4), second in rebounds (5.2) and third in minutes (29.1). He is third in the NBA with a 1.27 steals per turnover ratio and second among rookies with 1.24 steals per game.

LINK (http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/pressrelease_013107.html)
http://www.nba.com/media/raptors/jorge_andrea_BC_250_pose.jpg

Garbo is the only guy selected who was not drafted by the NBA.

angel_luv
01-31-2007, 10:29 PM
Congrats guys!

And Bosh is a starter for the East, right? Awesome representation for the Raps. :)

ploto
01-31-2007, 11:27 PM
Bosh, Raptors unfazed by Wizards

The Washington Wizards paid a visit to Toronto on Wednesday, but their act didn't fool the hometown Raptors one bit.

Chris Bosh had game highs of 34 points and eight rebounds as the Raptors defeated the Wizards 119-109 in front of 16,145 fans at the Air Canada Centre.

Jose Calderon also impressed with 24 points on 10-of-13 shooting and a game-high 11 assists.

Rookie Andrea Bargnani came off the bench to score 14 points followed by Morris Peterson with 11.

Rasho Nesterovic contributed 10 points, six rebounds and a game-best three blocked shots as the Raptors (23-23) notched their fourth win in their past five games...

Gilbert Arenas poured in 27 points for the Wizards (27-18), who entered the contest having won three straight games and seven of their last eight.

LINK (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/story/2007/01/31/nba-wizards-raptors.html)

http://www.nba.com/media/raptors/wiz_0131074.jpg

velik_m
02-01-2007, 02:28 AM
And New Jersey lost. Thank you Detroit. Sorry Boki.
http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=270131017
Pistons 113 Nets 89.

There's plenty room for both teams in the playoff. :madrun

lefty
02-01-2007, 02:29 AM
Good win, but Jamison didn't play

Sacramental
02-01-2007, 02:56 AM
who cares about the raptors.

lefty
02-01-2007, 04:08 AM
Raps > Kings

BgT
02-01-2007, 04:16 AM
who cares about the raptors.

And that's said by Kings fan on Spurs forum.

BTW, I find it really amazing that there is a Raps article that has not yet been posted here! :lol

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/chris_mannix/01/29/raptors.colangelo/index.html

Guys with bad attitudes can kill your team. Bryan brought in a great group of guys; there is not one player on our team I wouldn't enjoy going to dinner with.

ploto
02-01-2007, 09:55 AM
Love, respect and wins

If they hadn't been talking like this all year, if they hadn't been telling everyone who'd listen how good the team chemistry is around the Raptors and how everyone cares for everyone else, it would be hard not to snicker at what unfolded in the aftermath of last night's game.

But when Sam Mitchell talked about mutual respect and Jose Calderon talked about family and Morris Peterson talked about everyone pulling for one another, it was impossible not to take them seriously.

And if things keep happening like easy wins over good teams, all the mutual love and respect is going to carry the Raptors a long way.

With Calderon putting up a career night as a starter only because T.J. Ford said it would be best for the team and Chris Bosh having one of the most effective offensive nights in franchise history, the Raptors rolled to a 119-109 victory over the Washington Wizards that should have ended with one great big group hug.

"It's like a family here and it doesn't matter who starts and who doesn't start, we have to win," said Calderon, who had a career-best 24 points and if he didn't out-play Washington's Gilbert Arenas he at least held him to a draw.

"We did and everybody's happy today, nobody's talking about who's playing and who's not. We win, and everybody's happy. That's our thing.

"I tell you all the time, we need the 14 guys here to win games. We never know when it's our turn to play good or play bad, everybody in this room is important to win games."

Ford, returning after a four-game absence due to lingering pain in his sprained right ankle, knew before the game he wasn't going to be able to carry his usual load. So instead of going back in the starting lineup and struggling, he told coach Mitchell to start Calderon and the move paid off in spades.

Calderon made 10 of 13 field-goal attempts, added 11 assists for his fifth double-double of the season and allowed Ford to ease himself back in a 16-minute night.

"I just thought it was an unselfish gesture," said Mitchell. "Those two guys know each other, they respect each other and that's what we talk about, making sacrifices.

"I told (Calderon): That's a sign of how much respect T.J. has for you as a person and a player. He's willing as he works his way back to let you keep running the show."

Of course, as it turns out, Calderon could have run the show just as effectively by simply throwing the ball to Bosh every time down the court.

After missing his first four shots, Bosh reeled off an astonishing streak of 15 straight baskets, finishing with a game-high 34 points, including three on a shot they'll remember for a long time.

Just a second before the third-quarter buzzer, Bosh collared a loose ball about three quarters of the court away from the basket, took one step and tossed a chest pass-desperation heave that got nothing but net. The 65-footer was the longest basket of his career.

"That's unbelievable," Peterson said of Bosh's night. "I didn't really think about it, I just knew in my head Chris was playing really, really well.

"He knocked down jump shots, he took the ball to the basket, he hit a 65-footer. He's playing like the starting all-star power forward in the East.

"When you're playing that well and everything's going right, it makes it a lot easier for us to go out there and feed off that energy," added Peterson.

The Wizards, who were without the injured Antawn Jamison, got 27 points from Arenas but he really didn't have an impact on the game. A dozen of them came in the fourth quarter, after Toronto had taken control with a 17-point lead after three.

"In a perfect world you don't want them to shoot 36 free throws but it's just so hard," Mitchell said of the Wizards. "They just spread you out, then you help and they kick it out and all those guys can shoot the ball. (But) we controlled the tempo of the game, we got some easy baskets and we made some shots."

LINK (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/177078)

angel_luv
02-01-2007, 11:52 AM
There's plenty room for both teams in the playoff. :madrun

I am a huge Boki fan and want him to make the play offs, but I want Sho to have the better record. :)

Wonderful article Ploto. Thank you for posting it. :)

dave
02-01-2007, 12:51 PM
I am a huge Boki fan and want him to make the play offs, but I want Sho to have the better record. :)

Wonderful article Ploto. Thank you for posting it. :)

i don't mind NJ, but I hate vince carter
so i want NJ to fail miserably

angel_luv
02-01-2007, 01:27 PM
i don't mind NJ, but I hate vince carter
so i want NJ to fail miserably

:lol I used to feel that way about the Raptors for the same reason.

dave
02-01-2007, 01:30 PM
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/2393/wincecarteruq5.jpg

angel_luv
02-01-2007, 01:34 PM
:lol That's wicked!

ploto
02-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Chris Bosh named Player of the Month...

Andrea Bargnani named Rookie of the Month...

Sam Mitchell named Coach of the Month...

angel_luv
02-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Andrea Bargnani was named Rookie of the Month for the East in January.

I am still looking for an actual link...

Oh! That's wonderful! :)

ploto
02-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Bosh Named Eastern Conference Player of the Month

(February 1, 2007) -- The Toronto Raptors announced Thursday that forward Chris Bosh was named NBA Eastern Conference Player of the Month for the month of January. Bosh is the first Raptors player to receive the honour. He had twice previously been named Eastern Conference Player of the Week (Jan. 30 - Feb. 5, 2006 and Jan. 3-9, 2005).

Bosh led the Raptors to a 10-5 record, averaging 25.4 points (fifth in the Eastern Conference) on .547 shooting from the field and .455 from three-point range, 9.1 rebounds and 1.60 blocked shots. He led the team in scoring on 13 occasions.

Bosh returned to the lineup January 3 after missing 12 games in December with a knee injury to score 26 points on 11-of-22 from the field in a 100-98 loss to Phoenix. He registered a season-high 35 points, going 11-of-19 from the floor in a 90-88 win January 24 versus New Orleans/Oklahoma Hornets. He finished the month with 34 points, going 15-of-19 from the field and eight rebounds in a 119-109 win over Washington on January 31.

Bosh lead the team in rebounding 12 times in January with highs of 15 in a 115-110 win January 7 versus Washington and a 97-96 loss January 14 versus Dallas. He recorded five double-doubles during the month and ranks 14th in the NBA with 20 this season.

A product of Georgia Tech in his fourth season, Bosh leads the team in scoring (22.6), rebounding (9.1) and minutes (37.0). Last week he was named as a starter for the Eastern Conference All-Star squad. This will be his second appearance at All-Star Weekend, having been named as a reserve to the Eastern Conference team in 2006.

LINK (http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/bosh_020107.html)

ploto
02-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Bargnani Named Eastern Conference Rookie of the Month

(February 1, 2007) -- The Toronto Raptors announced Thursday that forward Andrea Bargnani was named NBA Eastern Conference Rookie of the Month for January, 2007. Bargnani is the sixth Raptors player to win the award, joining current teammate Jorge Garbajosa (December 2006) and former Raptors Charlie Villanueva (December 2005), Vince Carter (March and April 1999), Marcus Camby (March 1997) and Damon Stoudamire (November 1995 and January 1996) on the list of franchise honourees.

Bargnani helped the Raptors to a 10-5 record, posting averages of 11.1 points, 3.6 rebounds, 1.2 assists, 0.8 steals and 27.0 minutes in 14 games. He shot .410 (57-139) from the field and .394 (26-66) from three-point range during the month and led the team’s bench scoring six times.

The native of Rome, Italy registered 22 points on January 9 at New Jersey, one point shy of his career-high of 23. He posted double-digit scoring totals in 10 of his 14 games and reached career-highs with seven defensive rebounds (January 12), four assists (January 31) and four steals (January 3).

The first overall pick in the 2006 NBA Draft is averaging 10.2 points, 3.7 rebounds and 23.2 minutes in 44 games this season. He currently ranks third among rookies in points (10.2), free throw percentage (.837), fourth in minutes (23.2) and blocks (0.89).

Toronto continues its season on the road Friday with a game in Atlanta. The Raptors return home to begin a three game homestand on Sunday at noon against the L.A. Clippers, followed by Orlando on Wednesday and the L.A. Lakers next Friday.

LINK (http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/bargnani_020107.html)

angel_luv
02-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Congrats Bosh!

ploto
02-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Mitchell Named Eastern Conference Coach of the Month

(February 1, 2007) -- The Toronto Raptors announced Thursday that head coach Sam Mitchell was named NBA Eastern Conference Coach of the Month for the month of January. This is the first time Mitchell has won the honour. Mitchell joins Lenny Wilkens as the only Raptors coaches to be named Coach of the Month. Wilkens won in April 2002, after the team went 7-2 for the month.

Toronto compiled a conference best-tying 10-5 mark in January play, including records of 7-3 at home and 8-2 versus Eastern Conference opponents. This is Toronto’s first 10 win month since January 2002 (11-5) and the fifth double-digit win month in franchise history. The Raptors currently lead the Atlantic division by one game with a 23-23 record.

The Raptors defeated Eastern Conference leading Washington twice during the month, most recently on Wednesday by a 119-109 score. In addition to the 10 wins, the Raptors also lost close games to Phoenix (two points) and Dallas (one point), the teams with the top-two records in the NBA. During the month the Raptors averaged 98.6 points for and 94.0 against. Prior to January, the team was averaging 97.3 points for and 100.3 points against.

Mitchell joined the Raptors as head coach on June 29, 2004 after serving two years as an assistant in Milwaukee. Prior to his coaching career, Mitchell spent 13 seasons in the NBA with the Minnesota Timberwolves and Indiana Pacers. He ranks second all-time in Timberwolves history in games played with 757, 7,161 points and 3,030 rebounds.

LINK (http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/mitchell_020107.html)

angel_luv
02-01-2007, 03:23 PM
Wow- way to go team!! I am glad to see the Raptors getting some well deserved recognition. :)

ploto
02-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Wow- way to go team!! I am glad to see the Raptors getting some well deserved recognition. :)
It's my understanding that this is the first time ever that these 3 monthly awards have all gone to people from the same team. :D

dave
02-01-2007, 03:31 PM
picture from raptors.com

http://www.nba.com/media/raptors/hydra_callout.jpg

angel_luv
02-01-2007, 10:49 PM
It's my understanding that this is the first time ever that these 3 monthly awards have all gone to people from the same team. :D

Alll the more awesome! :)

dallaskd
02-01-2007, 10:52 PM
ive always been a bosh fan(went to my high school) and ive liked tj ford since he went to texas. good job toronto. tied for first with New Jersey in the division too. their red jerseys are awesome.

dave
02-01-2007, 10:56 PM
http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/nikkireyes.html

read the 3rd paragraph