PDA

View Full Version : Hispanics Warned That They Will Be Arrested At Polls

Mr. Peabody
10-17-2006, 01:43 PM
This sounds like the letters some Blacks in Florida recevied warning them that they could be arrested at the polls for unpaid taxes or deliquent parking tickets.

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1110AP_Immigration_Voting_Threat.html

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 · Last updated 10:05 a.m. PT

Note warns Calif. Hispanics on voting
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SANTA ANA, Calif. -- The state attorney general's office is investigating a letter received by some Southern California Hispanics that says it is a crime for immigrants to vote and tells them they could be jailed or deported if they go to the polls next month.

"It's a very malicious and degrading letter. It's to pull Latinos down and make them afraid," said Benny Diaz, who is running for City Council in Garden Grove. He said his wife and five other people he knows had received the letter.

The letter, written in Spanish, tells recipients: "You are advised that if your residence in this country is illegal or you are an immigrant, voting in a federal election is a crime that could result in jail time."

The truth is that immigrants who become naturalized citizens can legally register to vote.

Nathan Barankin, a spokesman for state Attorney General Bill Lockyer, said the letter was "something we are investigating aggressively right now." He said the sender could be charged with a felony and receive up to three years in state prison.

Several of the people who received the letters appeared to be naturalized citizens, said John Trasvina, interim president and general counsel for the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund.

xrayzebra
10-17-2006, 02:11 PM
^^Where is the letter writer wrong. What he said is correct. UNTIL you are
a citizen can you legally vote. Immigrants have no right to vote.

But who is going to challenge anyone who is registered or claim to be registered
to vote in any state.

Just another ploy to make people feel sorry for the poor illegals.

That is why I am for photo ID to be able to vote. And don't come up with the crap
about it is unfair. Then I guess it is unfair that you must have one to open a
bank account, cash checks, or ride on an airplane.

Trainwreck2100
10-17-2006, 02:15 PM

But who is going to challenge anyone who is registered or claim to be registered
to vote in any state.

That is why I am for photo ID to be able to vote. And don't come up with the crap

It is against the law if they are ILLEGAL immagrants the article does not specify whether or not they are. I'm assuming they're legal because Illegals probn wouldn't want to draw attention to themselves. People that immigrate from other countries and become naturalized are still immigrants and they can vote legally.

Trainwreck2100
10-17-2006, 02:17 PM
^^Where is the letter writer wrong. What he said is correct. .

He's wrong right here

Several of the people who received the letters appeared to be naturalized citizens, said John Trasvina, interim president and general counsel for the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-17-2006, 02:25 PM

to vote in any state.

"You are advised that if your residence in this country is illegal OR you are an immigrant, voting in a federal election is a crime that could result in jail time."

learn to read Einstein. Does being an immigrant make it illegal for you to vote?? :rolleyes

xrayzebra
10-17-2006, 02:27 PM
Appeared to be naturalized citizens? Were they or were they not. And I
still don't see where it is wrong what he did. No threats made nor implied. Just
telling folks what the law is and the consequences could be if you violate that law.

Could it be that some are afraid that some of their voters might not show up because
they are illegal or not citizens.....hmmmmmmm?

xrayzebra
10-17-2006, 02:29 PM
learn to read Einstein. Does being an immigrant make it illegal for you to vote?? :rolleyes

If you have not become a citizen of the United States it makes it illegal to
vote, smart guy. :nope

MaNuMaNiAc
10-17-2006, 02:32 PM
If you have not become a citizen of the United States it makes it illegal to
vote, smart guy. :nopeit says OR, and that makes all the difference in the world. DO YOU NOT KNOW HOW TO READ??? REALLY!

xrayzebra
10-17-2006, 02:34 PM
^^Go to court with your view and see how far you get....

valluco
10-17-2006, 02:36 PM
brown people should not vote.

Trainwreck2100
10-17-2006, 02:41 PM
Appeared to be naturalized citizens? Were they or were they not. And I
still don't see where it is wrong what he did. No threats made nor implied. Just
telling folks what the law is and the consequences could be if you violate that law.

Could it be that some are afraid that some of their voters might not show up because
they are illegal or not citizens.....hmmmmmmm?

He said it was a crime for immigrants to vote, which is a lie.

xrayzebra
10-17-2006, 02:49 PM
He said it was a crime for immigrants to vote, which is a lie.

Technically not. If they aren't citizens it is illegal. As Clinton said: "depends
on the meaning of "is". :rolleyes

Kori Ellis
10-17-2006, 02:54 PM
The problem with the letter is that this line:

"You are advised that if your residence in this country is illegal or you are an immigrant, voting in a federal election is a crime that could result in jail time."

Should say this:

"You are advised that if your residence in this country is illegal or you are an immigrant who has not yet attained U.S. citizenship, voting in a federal election is a crime that could result in jail time."

Trainwreck2100
10-17-2006, 02:55 PM
Technically not. If they aren't citizens it is illegal. As Clinton said: "depends
on the meaning of "is". :rolleyes

Yes but not all immigrants are illegal so the simple statement

You are advised that if your residence in this country is illegal or you are an immigrant, voting in a federal election is a crime that could result in jail time."

is false cause legal immigrants can vote and if the writer was referring to just illegal immigrants voting why would he say "if your residence in this country is illegal or you are an immigrant" The writer already brings up the possibility of illegal aliens so why would he say "or you are an immigrant"

xrayzebra
10-17-2006, 02:58 PM
Yep, you are right Kori. But it is splitting hairs. The letter was more than likely
written with that thought in mind, but the writer didn't put it down they way he
was thinking.

But, being the old coot that I am, it wouldn't surprise me if it was not some
dimm-o-crap who wrote it and then called attention to the bad old letter someone
is sending out. 2-1 they never find who did it. (The bet is for a yankee dime, and
only for ladies....)

scott
10-17-2006, 10:12 PM
Yep, you are right Kori. But it is splitting hairs. The letter was more than likely
written with that thought in mind, but the writer didn't put it down they way he
was thinking.

But, being the old coot that I am, it wouldn't surprise me if it was not some
dimm-o-crap who wrote it and then called attention to the bad old letter someone
is sending out. 2-1 they never find who did it. (The bet is for a yankee dime, and
only for ladies....)

The problem with this post is that it's written wrong. It should read:

"But, being the old coot that I am, I can't ever find anything wrong with anything that might beneficial to the republican party. Errrr... DIMM-O-CRAT... sorry, just had to say it."

Notorious H.O.P.
10-18-2006, 12:45 AM
Yep, you are right Kori. But it is splitting hairs. The letter was more than likely written with that thought in mind, but the writer didn't put it down they way he was thinking.

Splitting hairs? Do you honestly believe the writer of the letter had a benevolent purpose? Just warning the brown man so he can stay out of trouble? There is only one intent to such dire deceptively worded warnings. To scare voters who have traditionally voted Democrat from the polls.

But, being the old coot that I am, it wouldn't surprise me if it was not some dimm-o-crap who wrote it and then called attention to the bad old letter someone is sending out. 2-1 they never find who did it. (The bet is for a yankee dime, and only for ladies....)

I could bust out an "old coot=?????" considering the inane line of thought of the statement that follows it but since I don't know you on a personal level, I'll refrain from making any additional comments besides what could obviously be implied.

xrayzebra
10-18-2006, 09:22 AM

"But, being the old coot that I am, I can't ever find anything wrong with anything that might beneficial to the republican party. Errrr... DIMM-O-CRAT... sorry, just had to say it."

Naw, I just know the dimm-o-craps. Their favorite slogan: vote early and
vote often. And like in Star county, in alphabetical order.

And you said it, that what the forum is all about. Saying what you want,
within certain guidelines, of course..... :lol

xrayzebra
10-18-2006, 09:27 AM
Splitting hairs? Do you honestly believe the writer of the letter had a benevolent purpose? Just warning the brown man so he can stay out of trouble? There is only one intent to such dire deceptively worded warnings. To scare voters who have traditionally voted Democrat from the polls.

Do you mean the illegals and immigrants who are not citizens? The
traditional dimm-o-craps voters. Hmmmmm, strange statement.

I honestly don't know what the writer had in mind. You could be right or
on the other hand maybe it was like I said earlier, maybe written by a
dimm-o-crap who wanted to blame the opposition for the letter for
intimidating voters. (see first paragraph of this post).

xrayzebra
10-18-2006, 09:29 AM
if a non-citizen goes to try to vote -- they'll ask for a voters card or an id...then they will say, sorry, you can't vote here please go

What world do you live in. Anyone, and I mean anyone, can get a voters
registration card or register to vote. Well not at this time, because it
is to late to register. There are some many dimm-o-craps out that were
doing voters registration drives that they had problems tripping over
each other. And I can promise you they didn't care if you were legal or not.

SA210
10-18-2006, 09:32 AM
Come on Xray, tell the truth...

Did you write that letter?

xrayzebra
10-18-2006, 09:35 AM
^^Nope, did you?

Melmart1
10-18-2006, 09:38 AM
What world do you live in. Anyone, and I mean anyone, can get a voters
registration card or register to vote. Well not at this time, because it
is to late to register. There are some many dimm-o-craps out that were
doing voters registration drives that they had problems tripping over
each other. And I can promise you they didn't care if you were legal or not.
Link? Surely the press was all over this, the registering of illegal aliens to vote...

Mr. Peabody
10-18-2006, 10:06 AM
Link? Surely the press was all over this, the registering of illegal aliens to vote...

No, it was probably a coverup by the goddam liberal media. Thank god for straight-shooting news organizations like NewsMax and FoxNews and culture warriors like Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity. If it wasn't for them, we might never hear the truth.

xrayzebra
10-18-2006, 03:27 PM
Okay smart guys......anyone found out yet who wrote
the letter.........

xrayzebra
10-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Now, here is a little article about a group who claims to
be non-partisan, but are dimm-o-craps and support by
their favorite sponsor, Mr. Soros.

PAPER CHASE NEWSBURST Digest RSS feedFull RSS feed
Serious law. Primary sources. Global perspective.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

ACORN defends voter registration efforts after fraud allegations
Joshua Pantesco at 8:17 AM ET

Photo source or description
[JURIST] The Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN) [advocacy website] defended their voter registration practices [press release] Tuesday after a report surfaced Monday alleging that ACORN engages in fraudulent voter registration practices [JURIST report]. The AP report noted that 3,000 ACORN-submitted voter cards in Philadelphia were invalid due to missing or inaccurate information, and that ACORN was blamed for smaller incidents in Ohio and Colorado as well. On Tuesday, ACORN said:

ACORN does not commit voter fraud. We work hard to bring new people into the democratic process and work to maintain good quality control. We have even gone to court to overturn regulations that would prevent us from checking registration cards for errors. In the rare cases where an employee has done something wrong, ACORN has not only fired that person, but worked to have them prosecuted where appropriate.

The rare but real instances in which an employee has submitted duplicate or fraudulent voter registration cards are an example of workers attempting to defraud ACORN by passing off bad work as good work - a situation akin to a retail clerk stealing from his or her employer. There have been no findings of wrongdoing against ACORN itself and no credible accusations that the organization has engaged in voter registration fraud. This is true despite systematic efforts to distract or disparage us by organizations and individuals who oppose our goals of increasing political participation by low-income and minority voters.

ACORN further noted that the registration cards cited by the AP report amount to less than 1 percent of all cards submitted through ACORN this year.

ACORN is running a voter registration drive in 17 states and faces the accusations on the eve of Congressional mid-term elections. ACORN also faced fraud allegations in 2004 [EPI report] in Ohio, Florida, Minnesota, North Carolina and Virginia, as well as 2003 fraud allegations in Missouri. ACORN registered more than 1,000,000 voters for the 2004 elections, and successfully challenged [JURIST report] an Ohio law subjecting individuals to criminal penalties for aiding or abetting anyone in fraudulently registering or improperly submitting application cards.

Ocotillo
10-18-2006, 03:34 PM
Come on Xray, tell the truth...

Did you write that letter?

Naw, but he does have a Border Patrol uniform that he plans to wear election day while hanging out at polls on the west side. :toast :lol

xrayzebra
10-18-2006, 03:38 PM
^^If I did, turn-out would be so low......lol

Oh, Gee!!
10-19-2006, 01:08 PM
Hispanic intimidation letter linked to GOP
Mailing warns immigrants of jail or deportation if they vote next month

SANTA ANA, Calif. - State investigators have linked a Republican campaign to letters sent to thousands of Orange County Hispanics, a spokesman for the attorney general said.

"We have identified where we believe the mailing list was obtained," said Nathan Barankin, spokesman for Attorney General Bill Lockyer.

He declined to identify the specific Republican campaign Wednesday, citing the ongoing investigation. The Los Angeles Times and The Orange County Register both reported Thursday that the investigation appeared to be focused on the campaign of Tan D. Nguyen, a Republican challenger to Democratic U.S. Rep. Loretta Sanchez.

rest of story: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15329781/

Mr. Peabody
10-19-2006, 01:23 PM
Hispanic intimidation letter linked to GOP
Mailing warns immigrants of jail or deportation if they vote next month

SANTA ANA, Calif. - State investigators have linked a Republican campaign to letters sent to thousands of Orange County Hispanics, a spokesman for the attorney general said.

"We have identified where we believe the mailing list was obtained," said Nathan Barankin, spokesman for Attorney General Bill Lockyer.

He declined to identify the specific Republican campaign Wednesday, citing the ongoing investigation. The Los Angeles Times and The Orange County Register both reported Thursday that the investigation appeared to be focused on the campaign of Tan D. Nguyen, a Republican challenger to Democratic U.S. Rep. Loretta Sanchez.

rest of story: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15329781/

This can't be right. xray said it was a Dimm-o-crap.

boutons_
10-19-2006, 02:21 PM
"No serious observer" would think this dirty-tricks letter to disenfranchise legit, lower-class (Dem) voters would come from any place but the Reugs? and from the radical right Repugs of super-wealthy OC?

I expect there will be, as always has been with the current generation of foaming-mouth radical Repugs a lot more dirty tricks to intimidate and disenfranchise lower-class/black/hispanic voters.

REPUGnant.

boutons_
10-19-2006, 04:35 PM
October 19, 2006
GOP Calls for Withdrawal of Candidate
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 5:17 p.m. ET

GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (AP) -- Orange County Republican leaders on Thursday called for the withdrawal of a GOP congressional candidate suspected of sending a letter threatening Hispanic immigrant voters with arrest.

Tan D. Nguyen denied knowing anything about the letter in an interview Thursday with The Associated Press but said he fired a campaign staffer who may have been responsible for it.

County Republican Chairman Scott Baugh, however, said that after speaking with state investigators and the company that distributed the mailer, he believes Nguyen had direct knowledge of the letter. He told the AP that the party's executive committee voted unanimously to Nguyen to drop out of race against Democratic U.S. Rep. Loretta Sanchez.

xrayzebra
10-19-2006, 04:38 PM
Sheeesh, now that was fast action. They want another minority to withdraw from
an election. Strange.

RandomGuy
10-19-2006, 04:49 PM

:lol

You beat me to it...

RandomGuy
10-19-2006, 04:53 PM
"I learned information that allows me to draw the conclusion that not only was Mr. Nguyen's campaign involved in this, but that Mr. Nguyen was personally involved in expediting the mailer," Baugh said in a telephone interview.

State and federal officials were investigating the letter, which was written in Spanish and mailed to an estimated 14,000 Democratic voters in central Orange County. It warns, "You are advised that if your residence in this country is illegal or you are an immigrant, voting in a federal election is a crime that could result in jail time."

Immigrants who are adult naturalized citizens are eligible to vote.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061019/ap_on_re_us/immigration_voting_threat

At least the GOP is doing the right thing by disowning this dumbass.

Zunni
10-19-2006, 07:15 PM
I thought Repubs could do whatever they wanted, as long as it benefitted them? That's the example being shown in Washington, anyway....

Dimm-O-Crap
10-19-2006, 08:54 PM
This can't be right. xray said it was a Dimm-o-crap.

I resent that!

Nbadan
10-19-2006, 11:32 PM
LOS ANGELES - A Republican congressional candidate said Thursday that he was not personally involved in sending a letter warning Hispanic immigrants they could go to jail or be deported if they vote next month, a mailing that prompted a state investigation.

"I did not do this. I did not approve of any letter," Tan D. Nguyen, the GOP challenger to Democratic U.S. Rep. Loretta Sanchez (news, bio, voting record), told The Associated Press.

The investigation is focused on Nguyen's campaign, according to a law enforcement official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he is not authorized to publicly discuss it. The Los Angeles Times and The Orange County Register also indicated the Nguyen's campaign was the target.

Nguyen said he believed an employee in his office might have used his voter data base to send out the letter without his knowledge. He said that employee has been "discharged."

Yahoo News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061019/ap_on_re_us/immigration_voting_threat_11)

Next up, Nguyen enters alcohol rehab.