Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This sounds like the letters some Blacks in Florida recevied warning them that they could be arrested at the polls for unpaid taxes or deliquent parking tickets.

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER
    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nation...ng_Threat.html

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 · Last updated 10:05 a.m. PT

Note warns Calif. Hispanics on voting
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SANTA ANA, Calif. -- The state attorney general's office is investigating a letter received by some Southern California Hispanics that says it is a crime for immigrants to vote and tells them they could be jailed or deported if they go to the polls next month.

"It's a very malicious and degrading letter. It's to pull Latinos down and make them afraid," said Benny Diaz, who is running for City Council in Garden Grove. He said his wife and five other people he knows had received the letter.

The letter, written in Spanish, tells recipients: "You are advised that if your residence in this country is illegal or you are an immigrant, voting in a federal election is a crime that could result in jail time."

The truth is that immigrants who become naturalized citizens can legally register to vote.

Nathan Barankin, a spokesman for state Attorney General Bill Lockyer, said the letter was "something we are investigating aggressively right now." He said the sender could be charged with a felony and receive up to three years in state prison.

Several of the people who received the letters appeared to be naturalized citizens, said John Trasvina, interim president and general counsel for the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^Where is the letter writer wrong. What he said is correct. UNTIL you are
    a citizen can you legally vote. Immigrants have no right to vote.

But who is going to challenge anyone who is registered or claim to be registered
    to vote in any state.

Just another ploy to make people feel sorry for the poor illegals.

That is why I am for photo ID to be able to vote. And don't come up with the crap
    about it is unfair. Then I guess it is unfair that you must have one to open a
    bank account, cash checks, or ride on an airplane.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

But who is going to challenge anyone who is registered or claim to be registered
    to vote in any state.

That is why I am for photo ID to be able to vote. And don't come up with the crap

It is against the law if they are ILLEGAL immagrants the article does not specify whether or not they are. I'm assuming they're legal because Illegals probn wouldn't want to draw attention to themselves. People that immigrate from other countries and become naturalized are still immigrants and they can vote legally.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^Where is the letter writer wrong. What he said is correct. .

He's wrong right here

Several of the people who received the letters appeared to be naturalized citizens, said John Trasvina, interim president and general counsel for the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund.

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

to vote in any state.

"You are advised that if your residence in this country is illegal OR you are an immigrant, voting in a federal election is a crime that could result in jail time."
    learn to read Einstein. Does being an immigrant make it illegal for you to vote??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Appeared to be naturalized citizens? Were they or were they not. And I
    still don't see where it is wrong what he did. No threats made nor implied. Just
    telling folks what the law is and the consequences could be if you violate that law.

Could it be that some are afraid that some of their voters might not show up because
    they are illegal or not citizens.....hmmmmmmm?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    learn to read Einstein. Does being an immigrant make it illegal for you to vote??
    If you have not become a citizen of the United States it makes it illegal to
    vote, smart guy.

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you have not become a citizen of the United States it makes it illegal to
    vote, smart guy.
    it says OR, and that makes all the difference in the world. DO YOU NOT KNOW HOW TO READ??? REALLY!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^Go to court with your view and see how far you get....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    brown people should not vote.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Appeared to be naturalized citizens? Were they or were they not. And I
    still don't see where it is wrong what he did. No threats made nor implied. Just
    telling folks what the law is and the consequences could be if you violate that law.

Could it be that some are afraid that some of their voters might not show up because
    they are illegal or not citizens.....hmmmmmmm?

He said it was a crime for immigrants to vote, which is a lie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He said it was a crime for immigrants to vote, which is a lie.

Technically not. If they aren't citizens it is illegal. As Clinton said: "depends
    on the meaning of "is".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with the letter is that this line:

"You are advised that if your residence in this country is illegal or you are an immigrant, voting in a federal election is a crime that could result in jail time."

Should say this:

"You are advised that if your residence in this country is illegal or you are an immigrant who has not yet attained U.S. citizenship, voting in a federal election is a crime that could result in jail time."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Technically not. If they aren't citizens it is illegal. As Clinton said: "depends
    on the meaning of "is".
    Yes but not all immigrants are illegal so the simple statement

You are advised that if your residence in this country is illegal or you are an immigrant, voting in a federal election is a crime that could result in jail time."
    is false cause legal immigrants can vote and if the writer was referring to just illegal immigrants voting why would he say "if your residence in this country is illegal or you are an immigrant" The writer already brings up the possibility of illegal aliens so why would he say "or you are an immigrant"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, you are right Kori. But it is splitting hairs. The letter was more than likely
    written with that thought in mind, but the writer didn't put it down they way he
    was thinking.

But, being the old coot that I am, it wouldn't surprise me if it was not some
    dimm-o-crap who wrote it and then called attention to the bad old letter someone
    is sending out. 2-1 they never find who did it. (The bet is for a yankee dime, and
    only for ladies....)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, you are right Kori. But it is splitting hairs. The letter was more than likely
    written with that thought in mind, but the writer didn't put it down they way he
    was thinking.

But, being the old coot that I am, it wouldn't surprise me if it was not some
    dimm-o-crap who wrote it and then called attention to the bad old letter someone
    is sending out. 2-1 they never find who did it. (The bet is for a yankee dime, and
    only for ladies....)
    The problem with this post is that it's written wrong. It should read:

"But, being the old coot that I am, I can't ever find anything wrong with anything that might beneficial to the republican party. Errrr... DIMM-O-CRAT... sorry, just had to say it."

Mad Beer Hops! Notorious H.O.P.'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, you are right Kori. But it is splitting hairs. The letter was more than likely written with that thought in mind, but the writer didn't put it down they way he was thinking.
    Splitting hairs? Do you honestly believe the writer of the letter had a benevolent purpose? Just warning the brown man so he can stay out of trouble? There is only one intent to such dire deceptively worded warnings. To scare voters who have traditionally voted Democrat from the polls.

But, being the old coot that I am, it wouldn't surprise me if it was not some dimm-o-crap who wrote it and then called attention to the bad old letter someone is sending out. 2-1 they never find who did it. (The bet is for a yankee dime, and only for ladies....)
    I could bust out an "old coot=?????" considering the inane line of thought of the statement that follows it but since I don't know you on a personal level, I'll refrain from making any additional comments besides what could obviously be implied.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with this post is that it's written wrong. It should read:

"But, being the old coot that I am, I can't ever find anything wrong with anything that might beneficial to the republican party. Errrr... DIMM-O-CRAT... sorry, just had to say it."
    Naw, I just know the dimm-o-craps. Their favorite slogan: vote early and
    vote often. And like in Star county, in alphabetical order.

And you said it, that what the forum is all about. Saying what you want,
    within certain guidelines, of course.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Splitting hairs? Do you honestly believe the writer of the letter had a benevolent purpose? Just warning the brown man so he can stay out of trouble? There is only one intent to such dire deceptively worded warnings. To scare voters who have traditionally voted Democrat from the polls.
    Do you mean the illegals and immigrants who are not citizens? The
    traditional dimm-o-craps voters. Hmmmmm, strange statement.

I honestly don't know what the writer had in mind. You could be right or
    on the other hand maybe it was like I said earlier, maybe written by a
    dimm-o-crap who wanted to blame the opposition for the letter for
    intimidating voters. (see first paragraph of this post).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if a non-citizen goes to try to vote -- they'll ask for a voters card or an id...then they will say, sorry, you can't vote here please go
    What world do you live in. Anyone, and I mean anyone, can get a voters
    registration card or register to vote. Well not at this time, because it
    is to late to register. There are some many dimm-o-craps out that were
    doing voters registration drives that they had problems tripping over
    each other. And I can promise you they didn't care if you were legal or not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Come on Xray, tell the truth...

Did you write that letter?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^Nope, did you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What world do you live in. Anyone, and I mean anyone, can get a voters
    registration card or register to vote. Well not at this time, because it
    is to late to register. There are some many dimm-o-craps out that were
    doing voters registration drives that they had problems tripping over
    each other. And I can promise you they didn't care if you were legal or not.
    Link? Surely the press was all over this, the registering of illegal aliens to vote...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Link? Surely the press was all over this, the registering of illegal aliens to vote...
    No, it was probably a coverup by the goddam liberal media. Thank god for straight-shooting news organizations like NewsMax and FoxNews and culture warriors like Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity. If it wasn't for them, we might never hear the truth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay smart guys......anyone found out yet who wrote
    the letter.........

Thread Information