PDA

View Full Version : Anyone actually think Mavs can win a title with Anthony Johnson as their PG?

The_Game
10-24-2006, 02:19 PM
Plus having a guy like Diop as their starting center

guess people can say the same whoever the spurs have at center

what has happened to devin harris? getting beat out of a starting job by anthony freaking johnson?

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-24-2006, 02:23 PM
Sounds like a question for Damon Stoudemire.

SilverPlayer
10-24-2006, 02:46 PM
I can say this with alot of confidence, If they don't have Devin Harris playing the way he was last year against us, they won't beat us. It was his ability to penetrate at will that really killed us. He gave the Mavs that one extra dimension that gave them the edge in beating us, even then we were a foul call away from beating them.

Terry - Howard - and Dirk are beatable. Harris was the straw that broke our back. And if he at all goes Jaren Jackson on them, they may find they are misssing a crucial ingredient to stopping us.

Solid D
10-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Anthony Johnson was one of the only bright spots for the Pacers in the playoffs last season. He's far from being a slouch. That 40 spot he laid on the Nets in the final playoff game to keep his team in it was inspiring.

lefty
10-24-2006, 02:59 PM
Yeah, but Devin Harris was the element of surprise ; this time, Spurs will be prepared

mavsfan1000
10-24-2006, 03:05 PM
Yeah, but Devin Harris was the element of surprise ; this time, Spurs will be prepared
How were the spurs not prepared for Devin Harris? :wtf It's hard to prepare for speed.

td4mvp21
10-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Why can't they?? He's a decent point guard.

JGrice02
10-24-2006, 03:46 PM
How were the spurs not prepared for Devin Harris? :wtf It's hard to prepare for speed.

Considering he had not even played in a few weeks it seems likely he took them by surprise. But he did play well against them in the regular season so it was not a total shock. The biggest problem was that they didn't protect the rim well. Duncan was the only big on the floor and he had no vertical. Aside from him their best shot blocker was Horry and he didn't play much either. Harris had a free road to the basket. That changed when he ran into Shaq and Mourning. Hopefully it will change with a healthy Duncan and someone like Elson but who knows... the guy is only going to get better.

Spurminator
10-24-2006, 03:55 PM
Anthony Johnson is starting?

angryllama
10-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Anthony Johnson will not be depended on to make large contributions to wins. He is a role player on a team that wants the ball in the hands of 1) Dirk, 2) Terry, and 3) Howard.

Devin Harris will be depended on for the same contributions that he made against the Spurs last season, and nothing about the Spurs' offseason moves should have quelled your fears about seeing Harris fly to the rim again this season.

Dallas dictated the style of play against the Spurs throughout the series, and their star player Nowitzki looked like the best player in the world for those two weeks.

I have a hard time thinking that a further aged Spurs squad that looked overmatched against Dallas last season will be able to overcome a reenergized and better Dallas team that has yet to peak.

Bruno
10-24-2006, 04:18 PM

what has happened to devin harris? getting beat out of a starting job by anthony freaking johnson?

You've just realised that Mavs aren't that talented. :clap
If Elson/oberto can do a decent job on Dirk (it's a big if), Spurs will easily win in playoffs against mavs.

angryllama
10-24-2006, 06:29 PM
You've just realised that Mavs aren't that talented. :clap
If Elson/oberto can do a decent job on Dirk (it's a big if), Spurs will easily win in playoffs against mavs.

Dirk owns the Spurs, fellas.

FromWayDowntown
10-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Devin Harris will be depended on for the same contributions that he made against the Spurs last season, and nothing about the Spurs' offseason moves should have quelled your fears about seeing Harris fly to the rim again this season.

Other than, perhaps, Games 6 and 7 of the 2006 Western Conference Semi-Final series between the Spurs and Mavericks, right?

If Harris isn't the starter for that team this season, will AJ lose him? I'd be curious to see how well a demotion to the bench would sit with the young man.

I have a hard time thinking that a further aged Spurs squad that looked overmatched against Dallas last season will be able to overcome a reenergized and better Dallas team that has yet to peak.

I have a hard time seeing how a retooled Spurs roster that was thatclose to rallying from 1-3 down and 20 down in Game 7 to eliminate the Mavericks (in the end, the Spurs had that ability totally within their grasp) and has added much-needed athleticism to the fold isn't a legitimate threat to whatever perceived hegemony Mavericks' fans ascribe to their team. Can the Mavericks beat the Spurs? Sure. Are the Spurs equally well-situated to take back the West? Absolutely.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-24-2006, 07:12 PM
Why is Anthony Johnson starting? Terry has moved to the 2?

Either way, Johnson is the BEST backup PG in the league, and certainly a serviceable starter, so I wouldn't be writing the Mavs off because of him or anyone else. They will be top 3 in the West again, and maybe even win it - look at their depth, it's better than ours.

That being said, I think we can beat them when it comes down to it because our team has always been whole>>>>>sum of parts.

T Park
10-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Anthony Johnson starting is a move I see Avery doing.

Looking for that "spark" off the bench in Harris, while Anthony would run the offense and play solid D, while Terry would play his natural position at 2.

Makes sense.

Johnson is no slouch, good outside shot, decent to good defender.

Best trade the Mavericks made in the last couple years since acquiring Terry.

bdictjames
10-24-2006, 07:19 PM
Can Harris shoot the trey too? That'd be a big up for the Mavs. I wish Tony Parker got his 3 pt touch this season

angryllama
10-24-2006, 07:21 PM
If Harris isn't the starter for that team this season, will AJ lose him?

Thats a legitimate question. Harris is pretty well self-motivated and fully intends to succeed in the NBA. If things dont work out for him in Dallas, Im sure that they will elsewhere and he knows that. He also knows that its in his best interest to perform while he's in big D contributing on a championship-calibur team.

I'd be curious to see how well a demotion to the bench would sit with the young man.

It wouldnt be a demotion because he wasnt a starter at any point last season. He was coming into this season as a possible starter. Not a starter by default.

I have a hard time seeing how a retooled Spurs roster that was thatclose to rallying from 1-3 down and 20 down in Game 7 to eliminate the Mavericks (in the end, the Spurs had that ability totally within their grasp) and has added much-needed athleticism to the fold isn't a legitimate threat to whatever perceived hegemony Mavericks' fans ascribe to their team. Can the Mavericks beat the Spurs? Sure. Are the Spurs equally well-situated to take back the West? Absolutely.

I wouldnt say that the Spurs are equally capable, but they are capable as a close competitor. Dallas is better this season. They made some outstanding personnel moves in the offseason, and added to their excellent and stable core.

I wouldnt say that SA is necessarily better than they were last season. The center rotation is still questionable.

Finley, Barry, and Bowen are a year older and slower. Those guys are all important players for SA.

Duncan is perpetually injured, and he isnt getting any younger. I wouldnt expect him to make any exponential leaps in production. Ginobili is older as well.

I am a firm believer that this is the Spurs' last shot. If they have that understanding in the locker room, that makes them more difficult to deal with this season. However, one long-term injury to Duncan puts that team in the lottery.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-24-2006, 07:26 PM
Why is Anthony Johnson starting? Terry has moved to the 2?

Either way, Johnson is the BEST backup PG in the league, and certainly a serviceable starter, so I wouldn't be writing the Mavs off because of him or anyone else. They will be top 3 in the West again, and maybe even win it - look at their depth, it's better than ours.

That being said, I think we can beat them when it comes down to it because our team has always been whole>>>>>sum of parts.
Earl Boykins
Leandrinho Barbosa
Marcus Banks
Marko Jaric
Shaun Livingston
Raymond Felton

td4mvp21
10-24-2006, 07:26 PM
Duncan is perpetually injured

:rolleyes

Can we play the damn season first before we determine that?

angryllama
10-24-2006, 07:44 PM
Can we play the damn season first before we determine that?

Duncan has chronic lower leg/foot injuries. Those things are never fully rehabilitated and tend to result in other peripheral injuries. Duncan is not getting younger either. It would be better for you guys to expect him to sit out some, because at this stage in his career it is more likely than him not being affected by the injuries.

Duncan gave a heroic effort against the Mavs. No doubt about that. That effort was in spite of his injuries.

ChumpDumper
10-24-2006, 07:45 PM
You are full of shit.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Duncan has chronic lower leg/foot injuries. Those things are never fully rehabilitated and tend to result in other peripheral injuries. Duncan is not getting younger either. It would be better for you guys to expect him to sit out some, because at this stage in his career it is more likely than him not being affected by the injuries.

Duncan gave a heroic effort against the Mavs. No doubt about that. That effort was in spite of his injuries.
You do know that he's been constantly talking about he's in the best shape in about 5 years?

td4mvp21
10-24-2006, 07:48 PM

That "heroic" effort was the normal TD who still had a little pain left. But thanks for your input Nostradamus!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-24-2006, 08:11 PM
Earl Boykins
Leandrinho Barbosa
Marcus Banks
Marko Jaric
Shaun Livingston
Raymond Felton

I was thinking in terms of a player who can do everything on the court - run the team, defend, and score. Although not brilliant at anything, Johnson is as solid as they come.

Johnson is a much better defender than Boykins.
Barbosa is more a pure scorer than a PG.
Johnson is better than Jaric.
Felton will start this year.

Banks was a starter last year, thus I didn't think of him, but he's pretty damn fine. Livingston is also very good and getting better, and it wouldn't surprise me if he is starting by the middle of the year.

Okay, revision, AJ is one of the top 3 backups in the league. Happy? ;)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-24-2006, 08:15 PM
Also, since when is 30 over the hill for a big man, and 29 getting old for a guard? For basketball players 27-32 is generally their PEAK!

This is just a case of Mavs fans making up BS to justify why the Spurs are crap. Well, we're not crap, and we will be fighting you for the title for at least the next 3 years, so y'all should just STFU! :lol

If you really want to talk about age and make a decent argument, you should point to our bench. Morons. :lmao

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-24-2006, 08:16 PM
I was thinking in terms of a player who can do everything on the court - run the team, defend, and score. Although not brilliant at anything, Johnson is as solid as they come.

Johnson is a much better defender than Boykins.
Barbosa is more a pure scorer than a PG.
Johnson is better than Jaric.
Felton will start this year.

Banks was a starter last year, thus I didn't think of him, but he's pretty damn fine. Livingston is also very good and getting better, and it wouldn't surprise me if he is starting by the middle of the year.

Okay, revision, AJ is one of the top 3 backups in the league. Happy? ;)
Now that I know what you mean, yes. :)

FromWayDowntown
10-24-2006, 08:47 PM

llama -- I'm glad to see you're back to up the discourse from Mavs fans. But your characterization of Duncan's injuries is simply wrong. He doesn't have any chronic injuries -- he has suffered injuries in each of the last two seasons, however, that have limited his production. Those are two entirely different things.

Duncan's injuries aren't fatigue-related and they aren't evidence of some structural problem with his body. In 2004-05, he managed to land hard on other players' feet on three different occasions. Undoubtedly, the first and the second weakened his ankle to the point that his body struggled with the third sprain, but last year, he suffered no apparent ankle problems, which would seem to negate your claim of a chronic injury. More to the point, there is no evidence to suggest that the p.f. that Duncan dealt with last season had anything to do with the ankle injuries he suffered in 2004-05. You can make that assumption if you choose, but to my knowledge, no medical doctor has ever suggested that there is a connection and I'm not entirely sure why there would be a connection. Perhaps you can enlighten me, but the p.f. wasn't even evident early last season, when Timmy had apparently completely healed from the ankle problems that burdened him during 2004-05. This season will be an interesting one to watch in terms of Timmy's health, but to this point, there is simply no evidence of any sort of chronic injury problem there.

I also think your assertions regarding Duncan's age are quite misleading. Tim is 30 years old and entering his 10th NBA season; he's hardly old, even by NBA standards. Pop monitors his minutes, but not because there is some concern that Timmy will tire out down the stretch -- I think Pop realizes that his team will be competitive at the highest levels once the playoffs roll around and that there's absolutely no reason to needlessly extend Timmy in November, December, and January. In any event, Tim's primary sidekicks are each under 30 years old. They're older than they were last year, but so too are each of the Mavericks.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-24-2006, 08:47 PM
Fair enough, my comment was flippant and needed further fleshing out.

If I could have an ideal backup for the Spurs, it would be Johnson or Banks. Both can defend, Johnson is ultra solid, but Banks would give us a constant, 48-minute speed PG attack! Now that would be something to watch!

Leetonidas
10-24-2006, 09:20 PM
Dirk owns the Spurs, fellas.

Then Tim pwns the Mavericks. :king

Kori Ellis
10-24-2006, 09:45 PM
Duncan has chronic lower leg/foot injuries. Those things are never fully rehabilitated and tend to result in other peripheral injuries.

Name a guy in the NBA that had plantar fasciitis one season and then was never the same again because of it?

I'm pretty sure that person doesn't exist.

If you were talking about sprained ankles, I think the FromWayDowntown addresses that point. Also, I would say that Dirk has more of a problem with "chronic" sprain ankles than Duncan does.

BERSERK
10-24-2006, 10:01 PM
I thought Doug Christie retired so he can be with his psycho obsessive wife.

Kori Ellis
10-24-2006, 10:04 PM
I know the reason he retired was different than this, but Doug Christie was never the same after plantar fasciitis...

His breaking down had nothing to do with plantar fasciitis. A big number of NBA players have some level of plantar fasciitis at some point of their careers.

Kori Ellis
10-24-2006, 10:11 PM
Nah, you are wrong. When Christie got plantar fasciitis, he was a different player. It was a huge problem for him a few years back. Never the same player since. Ask any legit Kings fan. However the reason he retired was cuz of the ankle injury.

Will Duncan be like Christie? No. I dont think his was as serious.

Bosh and Kobe have plantar fasciitis but they will play just fine. It depends on the person.

Christie's problems were a lot more than plantar fasciitis and I don't think it had much, if anything, to do with him breaking down. He wasn't the same player WHILE he had it. But his breakdown over the past few years was from structural ankle damage, not plantar fasciitis.

JMarkJohns
10-24-2006, 10:17 PM
I agree with RoughnReady... Johnson should be a starter. He's a Derek Fisher kind fo guard. Solid defender, good range and the occasional ability to score points in bunches. As with Fisher, he's roughly a top-20 PG in the league, while being underappreciated by most fans.

He's very good.

I'd take players like Harris, Livingston and Barbosa over him longterm, but Johnson is a PG that brings a lot to the table. I wanted the Suns to get him real bad.

Not saying I agree with him starting over Harris, but if Harris isn't ready to play the year, then Johnson shouldn't cause much of a drop-off.

Kori Ellis
10-24-2006, 10:23 PM
Christie's demise started way before the ankle problems did. You are forgetting why he was traded to Orlando for Mobley. He was 35 and had plantar fasciitis that was not going away. Any Kings fan will tell you that Christie started free falling long before the ankle problem. The fasciitis problem lasted several seasons and he went through treatment for it, most notably shockwave therapy.

He had structural ankle damage since he was 28 which got progressively worse and caused a multitude of problems, according to himself and his agent. I'm not denying he had plantar fasciitis.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-24-2006, 10:47 PM
Doug who?

Kori Ellis
10-24-2006, 11:05 PM
To get back to the topic, I'd go with Devin Harris as the starter and let him develop. If he's struggling after a month or so, then use Anthony Johnson.

angryllama
10-24-2006, 11:37 PM
llama -- I'm glad to see you're back to up the discourse from Mavs fans. But your characterization of Duncan's injuries is simply wrong. He doesn't have any chronic injuries -- he has suffered injuries in each of the last two seasons, however, that have limited his production. Those are two entirely different things.

Glad to see you around as well. As Ali G would say, "Respec."

Plantar fasciitis is an overuseage injury. It affects the fascia of the sole of the foot. Its an irritation of connective/covering tissue on the sole. People who have the condition can reaggrivate the injury fairly easily.

I had plantar fasciitis from playing soccer. It set in when I was 13 and continued off and on throughout my soccer career until I quit playing at 20. I got it from wearing cleats and running on hard, dry Texas ground. It got worse when I played wearing flats on artificial turf.

Anyway, a person with plantar fasciitis (my doctor called it a "stone bruise") compensates for the pain by changing their gait. Even a slight bit of change in the way you carry your weight can cause injuries to other areas of the legs or back. It can even lend itself to shoulder and neck injuries.

Rynospursfan
10-24-2006, 11:40 PM
Its a little known fact that Mark Cuban has installed a fountain of youth in the Mavs practice facility. Several of the Mavs are actually a year younger now.

dav4463
10-24-2006, 11:53 PM
Spurs overmmatched by Mavs? It comes down to a dumb foul by Ginobli in Game Seven of a series where every game was a war. I don't think anybody was overmmatched here! I do think the Spurs were a little flat except for Tim and the Mavs played over their heads. If they meet again, I like the Spurs chances.

icem
10-25-2006, 01:05 AM
the mavs are easily still better than the spurs in my opinion. anthony johnson was a great pickup. i doubt he will start but he is an amazing player to bring in off the bench, much better than Udrih. and just for the record i am NOT a mavs fan. i just think the spurs are now on a downslope. spurs didnt improve this offseason at all. only thing the spurs did was get a year older. mavs have far too much speed and athletic ability for manu, horry, finley, and the ever aging bruce bowen.

THE SIXTH MAN
10-25-2006, 01:24 AM
I have a hard time thinking that a further aged Spurs squad
I guess you also have a hard time remembering your team lost to an older Heat squad.

that looked overmatched against Dallas last season will be able to overcome a reenergized and better Dallas team that has yet to peak.
It took over time in a GAME 7 to win this series. Explain to me how is that being "over matched"?

THE SIXTH MAN
10-25-2006, 01:34 AM
the mavs are easily still better than the spurs in my opinion. anthony johnson was a great pickup. i doubt he will start but he is an amazing player to bring in off the bench, much better than Udrih. and just for the record i am NOT a mavs fan.

:lol Your not a spurs fan either! All 8 of your post either are pimping the rockets or predicting a Mavs win. Your so full of shit. :downspin:

THE SIXTH MAN
10-25-2006, 01:37 AM
Its a little known fact that Mark Cuban has installed a fountain of youth in the Mavs practice facility. Several of the Mavs are actually a year younger now.
:lol I guess this is why mav fans always say that the spurs are a year older, because it doesn't apply to the mavs team they just stay the same age year after year.

angryllama
10-25-2006, 08:58 AM
Spurs overmmatched by Mavs? It comes down to a dumb foul by Ginobli in Game Seven of a series where every game was a war. I don't think anybody was overmmatched here! I do think the Spurs were a little flat except for Tim and the Mavs played over their heads. If they meet again, I like the Spurs chances.

The Mavs dictated the pace of that series. After game 2, it was the Mavs' series to lose. In one of the greatest plays in recent playoff history, Nowitzki ensured that that didnt happen.

The Mavs did not play "over their heads" or overachieve in any way. The Mavs' great player, Nowitzki had not only a great series against the Spurs, but a great playoffs altogether. They have one of the top couple of defensive center rotations in the NBA, a clutch combo guard, and possibly one of the best energy/glue players since Dennis Rodman. Not to mention the best bench in the NBA.

The Spurs have a good chance to dethrone the Western Champion Mavericks just like they do every season with Duncan in the ranks.

MajorMike
10-25-2006, 09:00 AM
Anyone actually think Spurs can win a title with Avery Johnson as their PG? [/signed the 90s]

Exactly.

FromWayDowntown
10-25-2006, 10:36 AM
Anyway, a person with plantar fasciitis (my doctor called it a "stone bruise") compensates for the pain by changing their gait. Even a slight bit of change in the way you carry your weight can cause injuries to other areas of the legs or back. It can even lend itself to shoulder and neck injuries.

In the end, I guess this season will be telling. I happen to think that Mavsfan playing up Duncan's statistical decline and injury woes of the last two years are trying more to reassure themselves that Tim isn't poised to reassert himself than they are trying to actually analyze the situation.

Besides, even if he is chronically injured, the 2006 Western Conference Semifinals demonstrated that the guy can play through injuries and elevate his game to beyond Hall-of-Fame levels. If I were a fan of another team in the West, I'd be hoping and praying that Tim Duncan is beset by injuries, too.

Texas_Ranger
10-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Everyone can win the title

td4mvp21
10-25-2006, 12:33 PM

:lmao

The Mavs did not play "over their heads" or overachieve in any way. The Mavs' great player, Nowitzki had not only a great series against the Spurs, but a great playoffs altogether. They have one of the top couple of defensive center rotations in the NBA, a clutch combo guard, and possibly one of the best energy/glue players since Dennis Rodman. Not to mention the best bench in the NBA.

Too bad he choked like a bitch in the Finals to ruin it.

Dirk41MVP
10-25-2006, 01:47 PM

That "guy" diop shut down your superstar timmy duncan in the OT of game 7, do you remember ?, duncan ended up shooting 1-7 or 1-6 in the OT because Diop was in his face all the time. (have the game tivoed, don't whine it's not true)

Who said Aj will be the starting PG ? avery hasn't made up his mind yet, we'll see who he inserts in the lineup. Besides Aj is a pretty good damn PG, he scored 40 in the PO's last season, he has the capabilities to produce. And as somebody else said, you guys won it with Avery at the point, I don't see a big difference...

I'm sure he was a HUUUGE surprise, considering he scored 20 points in 1 quarter (4th) against you guys earlier in the season at Dallas... maybe your team should do a little more preparation and scouting when they play somebody.

"if DJ Mbenga can do a decent job on Duncan, the mavs will easily win in playoffs against the spurs", there you have it, good luck. Dirk and TD will get their numbers no matter what, it's up to the rest of the supporting cast (jho, jet, devin, TP, flopobili,etc) to determine the series.

mavsfan1000
10-25-2006, 01:51 PM
Mbenga>Elson/Oberto. The spurs will have to go small again.

ChumpDumper
10-25-2006, 02:07 PM
:lol @ Mbenga

ambchang
10-25-2006, 02:10 PM
The Mavs dictated the pace of that series. After game 2, it was the Mavs' series to lose. In one of the greatest plays in recent playoff history, Nowitzki ensured that that didnt happen.

The Spurs have a good chance to dethrone the Western Champion Mavericks just like they do every season with Duncan in the ranks.

Perhaps I didn't get the logic right, the Mavs dictated the pace of the series, and yet only won in over time of a Game 7? Doesn't that say something about the Mavs perceived dominance over the Spurs?
And I struggle to understand who you are referring to as the top couple of defensive center rotations in the NBA, and one of the best energy/glue players since Rodman?

As for clutch combo guard and best bench in the NBA, that could be argued.

ambchang
10-25-2006, 02:17 PM
That "guy" diop shut down your superstar timmy duncan in the OT of game 7, do you remember ?, duncan ended up shooting 1-7 or 1-6 in the OT because Diop was in his face all the time. (have the game tivoed, don't whine it's not true)

Who said Aj will be the starting PG ? avery hasn't made up his mind yet, we'll see who he inserts in the lineup. Besides Aj is a pretty good damn PG, he scored 40 in the PO's last season, he has the capabilities to produce. And as somebody else said, you guys won it with Avery at the point, I don't see a big difference...

I'm sure he was a HUUUGE surprise, considering he scored 20 points in 1 quarter (4th) against you guys earlier in the season at Dallas... maybe your team should do a little more preparation and scouting when they play somebody.

"if DJ Mbenga can do a decent job on Duncan, the mavs will easily win in playoffs against the spurs", there you have it, good luck. Dirk and TD will get their numbers no matter what, it's up to the rest of the supporting cast (jho, jet, devin, TP, flopobili,etc) to determine the series.

You seem to put a lot of stock on exceptional performances rather than the expected output of Mavs players. Diop shut down Duncan for 5 minutes, and this is supposed to be the norm? Anthony Johnson scored 40 points in one game, and this is indicative of his scoring prowess? Do you remember sleepy floyd? He scored 29 points in a QUARTER in a playoff games vs. the Lakers in the 80s, I think he still holds a record on that, and 51 points for the game. Have you ever heard from him since? Did he become some sort of superstar?

Hell, Tracy McGrady shut down Dirk in the 05 playoffs, doesn’t make him a great defensive forward now does it?

td4mvp21
10-25-2006, 02:37 PM
You seem to put a lot of stock on exceptional performances rather than the expected output of Mavs players. Diop shut down Duncan for 5 minutes, and this is supposed to be the norm? Anthony Johnson scored 40 points in one game, and this is indicative of his scoring prowess? Do you remember sleepy floyd? He scored 29 points in a QUARTER in a playoff games vs. the Lakers in the 80s, I think he still holds a record on that, and 51 points for the game. Have you ever heard from him since? Did he become some sort of superstar?

Hell, Tracy McGrady shut down Dirk in the 05 playoffs, doesn’t make him a great defensive forward now does it?

:tu Took the words right out of my mouth.

Bruno
10-25-2006, 04:41 PM

Stupid post.

And in the future, please don't quote me given that I'm for you a "french fag" (I'm as french as Parker and as gay as him).

Dirk41MVP
10-25-2006, 04:56 PM

I never said they could shut down duncan all the time or AJ would score 40 pts all the time. I just said that AJ is a good PG despite what people around here think. He has the CAPABILITIES of putting up big numbers if needed, or providing help when he's on the floor. He is not a scrub like your boy Van exel was last season (random example), the guy can provide quality minutes. I never said he would score 40 a game, I said he is not bad as everybody here pictures him to be.

McGrady shut dirk down ?, nah, Dirk was off that entire season and part of the Phoenix series as well. Had he been on fire and then shut down by McGrady, I would maybe agree, but he never found a groove during those playoffs, even when being guarded by other players in red and purple uniforms. Duncan was lighting it up and then got shut down by Diop in the OT when it counted the most... and it may have been 5 minutes, but those 5 minutes cost you the entire season.

This comment was more in response to the mocking "anyone actually think the mavs can win a tile with AJ as a pg" and the same for Diop at center. I never said that would be the "norm" as you call it. If they did it, it means they have the capabilities of doing it again, will that be the "norm" ? no, but you never know what can happen in those games.

Stupid post.

And in the future, please don't quote me given that I'm for you a "french fag" (I'm as french as Parker and as gay as him).

Yeah I agree it's a stupid post, since it's your quote. Good luck shutting down superstars in the NBA... if that was so easy to do, well there wouldn't be any in the league... and yeah I hate frenchies, sorry.

spurs_in_7
10-25-2006, 04:57 PM
suns>mavs (if amare comes back)

mavs>spurs2
10-25-2006, 04:57 PM
What's wrong with Diop at center? He's better than any spurs center, i'd take him over kurt thomas, hell he's better than alot of centers in the west. All that's asked of him is to block shots and rebound and he does that pretty well.

Dirk41MVP
10-25-2006, 05:05 PM

everybody > mavs according to spurs fans. :lol

Bruno
10-25-2006, 05:09 PM
Yeah I agree it's a stupid post, since it's your quote. Good luck shutting down superstars in the NBA... if that was so easy to do, well there wouldn't be any in the league...

Learn to read.
A clue for you : "a decent job on Dirk" isn't the same thing that a "shut down defense".

and yeah I hate frenchies, sorry.

No need to be sorry. I don't care what a guy can say on an internet board.
I've just no interest to discuss with a guy with a limited mind like you.

Dirk41MVP
10-25-2006, 05:11 PM
No need to be sorry. I don't care what a guy can say on an internet board. I've just no interest to discuss with a guy with a limited mind like you.

By your french ass being in this board, arguing I get the feeling you do have interest, otherwise you wouldn't be here.... good point moron, guess you're the one with a limited mind.

Bruno
10-25-2006, 05:13 PM
By your french ass being in this board, arguing I get the feeling you do have interest, otherwise you wouldn't be here.... good point moron, guess you're the one with a limited mind.

:lmao
You aren't alone on this board.

dirk4mvp
10-25-2006, 05:19 PM

From the words of Fillmoe, "Kill Yo Self!"

But he probably won't ever be the same, so I'm not worried about it.

dirk4mvp
10-25-2006, 05:21 PM

And if this is indeed your opinion, wouldn't it be suns> mavs and spurs? Don't be afraid to say it. Nobody's gonna talk shit to you if you say the suns are better. :lol

td4mvp21
10-25-2006, 05:45 PM
What's wrong with Diop at center? He's better than any spurs center, i'd take him over kurt thomas, hell he's better than alot of centers in the west. All that's asked of him is to block shots and rebound and he does that pretty well.

I personally don't think any thing is wrong with him, I just think it's ludicrous to say that he can contain Duncan or slow him down. He's actually decent.

mavsfan1000
10-25-2006, 05:53 PM
I just get annoyed when people think of Diop as some scrub. His flaw is not being able to stay on the court enough because of foul trouble but the minutes he's on the court are very valuable to the team. Hopefully he can do a better job against Duncan this year. He's best at contesting shots from anything around the basket but Duncan does force him to stay home more.

FromWayDowntown
10-25-2006, 06:19 PM

Not to make excuses for Timmy -- and not to disparage the fine work that Diop did throughout that series and particularly in Game 7 -- but Duncan did spend a substantial period of time after Game 7 taking fluids and trying to overcome cramping. Diop's exceptional performance in overtime made a difference, but it may have been helped a lot by the exhaustion of his opponent. Duncan played almost 50 minutes that night; Diop played barely 10.

Spurologist
10-25-2006, 07:05 PM
3 good points guards on Dallas' roster. hmmmm

Anthony Johnson is the perfect remedy to neutralize Devin Harris. It will work out that way.

The question that will need to be answered is:

Who would've thought Devin Harris would become Anthony Johnson's bitch?..... and they are on the same team. Say it ain't so. Say it ain't so

spurs_in_7
10-25-2006, 07:15 PM
And if this is indeed your opinion, wouldn't it be suns> mavs and spurs? Don't be afraid to say it. Nobody's gonna talk shit to you if you say the suns are better. :lol

for me its:

1.suns*
2.spurs
3.mavs

2007 western champs: spurs or suns*

*with a %100 amare

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-25-2006, 08:04 PM

Get off the pipe. :rolleyes

Once we went into OT in game 7 it was over because all of our starters had played 40+ minutes and already used all their energy to come back from 20 down. Duncan had nothing left, it was not Diop "shutting him down", especially given the way Tim owned anyone the Mavs threw at him to average, what was it, 35ppg for the series? Wanker.

And now you go racist against the French, what a charming human being you are. What the hell has race got to do with basketball, fvckwad? People like you make me sick. YOU are the one with very little in your head. Why don't you go back to your little circle-jerk Dallas world, there is nothing for you here.

dirk4mvp
10-25-2006, 08:13 PM
for me its:

1.suns*
2.spurs
3.mavs

2007 western champs: spurs or suns*

*with a %100 amare

Don't kid yourself. Even with a 100% Amare, the Mavs and Spurs are better than the Suns.

ambchang
10-25-2006, 08:54 PM
I never said they could shut down duncan all the time or AJ would score 40 pts all the time. I just said that AJ is a good PG despite what people around here think. He has the CAPABILITIES of putting up big numbers if needed, or providing help when he's on the floor. He is not a scrub like your boy Van exel was last season (random example), the guy can provide quality minutes. I never said he would score 40 a game, I said he is not bad as everybody here pictures him to be.

Taking Anthony Johnson's 40 point game as an indication of his capability is akin to taking Sleepy Floyd's 51 point game as an indication of his capabilities; it's misleading.

McGrady shut dirk down ?, nah, Dirk was off that entire season and part of the Phoenix series as well. Had he been on fire and then shut down by McGrady, I would maybe agree, but he never found a groove during those playoffs, even when being guarded by other players in red and purple uniforms. Duncan was lighting it up and then got shut down by Diop in the OT when it counted the most... and it may have been 5 minutes, but those 5 minutes cost you the entire season.

So why can't Duncan be just "off" in that OT? Why would a player who was averaging over 12 fouls per 48 minutes in a series turn in 5 minutes of solid performance in a 7 game series (which has more than 350 minutes) be ANY indication that Diop is capable of shutting down Duncan, while McGrady being able to do so consistently on Dirk over a 7 game series be just an "off-series" for McGrady? This makes absolutely ZERO sense. This is actually even more humourous considering that YOU came up with the following sarcastic quote:

I'll take Diop, since he already shut him down in the OT of game 7, making him go 1-6 or 1-7 something like that.. oh wait, I forgot. Duncan's PF kicked in at the start of OT in that game... right, my bad

So in your universe, a 5 minute showing is indicative of a player's ability, while a solid 7 game showing is just an aberration from the season?

This comment was more in response to the mocking "anyone actually think the mavs can win a tile with AJ as a pg" and the same for Diop at center. I never said that would be the "norm" as you call it. If they did it, it means they have the capabilities of doing it again, will that be the "norm" ? no, but you never know what can happen in those games.

So what you are saying is that Anthony Johnson has the capabilities of scoring 40 points because he has done that before, with his next career high at 27 points (I think)? Nick Van Exel scored in the 30's regularly a couple of years back, guess what? It wasn't indicative of what he is able to do for the Spurs last year. Samuel Dalembert grabbed 22 rebounds once, doesn't mean ANYTHING other than the fact that he did it once in his career.

Yeah I agree it's a stupid post, since it's your quote. Good luck shutting down superstars in the NBA... if that was so easy to do, well there wouldn't be any in the league... and yeah I hate frenchies, sorry.

I will try not to comment on your racist views ....

ambchang
10-25-2006, 09:02 PM
Don't kid yourself. Even with a 100% Amare, the Mavs and Spurs are better than the Suns.

Noooooooooooo! I agree with a Mavs fan!

dirk4mvp
10-25-2006, 09:10 PM
Noooooooooooo! I agree with a Mavs fan!

:elephant

Dirk41MVP
10-25-2006, 09:36 PM
AJ owns the spurs and Diop owns duncan, get it over with. He shut him down, plain and simple. I crack up when y'all morons reply to all my "trollness" rofl... oh and besides frenchies are indifferent to me, I just wanted to troll some more... :elephant wankers.

phyzik
10-25-2006, 09:54 PM
I guess its a good thing Kori runs this board and not me, alot of these mavs fans (like Dirk41MVP) would have IP bans by now, I have no tollarance for jackassery (is that a word? :spin ), there are only a few here that actually bring some intellectual posts to the boards (like Dirk4MVP and Mavs>Spurs)

as far as AJ, I think he's gonna be great for Spot minutes... he shouldnt be starting though.

THE SIXTH MAN
10-26-2006, 12:42 AM
AJ owns the spurs and Diop owns duncan, get it over with. He shut him down, plain and simple. I crack up when y'all morons reply to all my "trollness" rofl... oh and besides frenchies are indifferent to me, I just wanted to troll some more... :elephant wankers.
http://www.nba.com/media/finals2006/shaqGP_600_060620.jpg

Heat own the mavs, get it over with. They shut them down plain and simple. I crack up when moron mav fans forget they dropped four straight after being up two zero when it COUNTED the most(to a very old heat team). Probably one of the biggest choke jobs in NBA history. Yet you guys trump last season as if it ended in success. Spurs fans could give two shits about you guys going to the finals. As most of you will learn going to the finals is not a given. No matter what your team accomplished the previous season, it doesn't matter because other teams get better and younger. What the mavs did last season wont carry over to this season because every team starts out with a clean slate. So get over last season because it didn't end well for either of our teams, if you don't bring home the trophy then no excuses our seasons ended with disappointment.

I think its funny that you feel like you get a rise out of spurs fans by coming in here and spiting out non sense. Its funny because its a spurs fan forum that your on, and your so proud of your as of yet unaccomplished team. Why spend so much of your time here rather than a heat message board? Do you think that you'll feel better if you talk shit about last season because the mavs knocked out the spurs? For what ever reason you "troll" these boards, don't think for a second that your getting the best of us. Losing is a big part of being a fan of any team for any sport. We deal with it move on and get ready for next season. As spurs fans we've been very fortunate to have a franchise that always stays with in contention. The only way our series lost could have been very devastating is if the mavs would have won it all. But even then I wouldn't go bragging on another teams message board about how we beat them last season when my team chocked in the finals. That would be pretty retarded, don't you think?

mavsfan1000
10-26-2006, 12:52 AM
The mavs would've won the series if it weren't for the refs. In my mind the mavs won the championship that was taken away of because Stern hates Cuban and his boy is D. Wade that he gave every call to. When the refs were fair it proved who was the better team and that was the mavs.

THE SIXTH MAN
10-26-2006, 12:57 AM
The mavs would've won the series if it weren't for the refs. In my mind the mavs won the championship that was taken away of because Stern hates Cuban and his boy is D. Wade that he gave every call to. When the refs were fair it proved who was the better team and that was the mavs.
NO EXCUSES! Quit crying like a little bitch and get ready for this season! :ihit

SCdac
10-26-2006, 01:04 AM

You and the rest of the Mavs massive. :sleep

Louis2
10-26-2006, 01:06 AM
For the third consecutive season, NBA general managers predict the San Antonio Spurs will win The Finals in 2007, and for the first time the Cleveland Cavaliers’ LeBron James will win the MVP award, according to respondents of the Fifth Annual NBA.com GM Survey.

The exclusive survey, providing fans with an inside look into the minds of NBA decision-makers on the 2006-07 NBA season, revealed that 43 percent of GMs believe the Spurs will win The Finals. The Dallas Mavericks received 29 percent of the GMs vote and the Miami Heat received only 14 percent of the vote to repeat as NBA Champions. In last year’s NBA.com GM Survey, 77 percent of GMs selected the Spurs to win The Finals.

For the first time in the NBA.com GM Survey, the Cavaliers’ James (79 percent) was selected by GMs as the best small forward in the league, while last year’s best small forward pick, the Houston Rockets’ Tracy McGrady, did not receive any votes. Reigning two-time MVP Steve Nash of the Phoenix Suns (96 percent) was picked by GMs as the best point guard, while the Los Angeles Lakers’ Kobe Bryant (71 percent) topped the Heat’s Dwyane Wade (21 percent) as the best shooting guard in the league. More than 57 percent of GMs selected the Spurs’ Duncan as the best power forward and the Heat’s Shaquille O’Neal (75 percent) as the best center. This marks the fifth consecutive year GMs have selected Bryant, Duncan and O’Neal as the best at their position.

For the fifth consecutive year, Bryant was also selected by GMs (74 percent) as the player they want taking a shot with the game on the line, and the Mavericks’ Dirk Nowitzki was once again viewed as the best international player in the NBA (89 percent).

James, selected by 39 percent of GMs to win the 2006-07 MVP award, was also picked by 71 percent of GMs as the top player they would sign to start an NBA franchise, the best finisher (30 percent) and the most athletic player in the league (37 percent).

Eruff24
10-26-2006, 09:07 AM

The ref excuse is garbage. WHat about being up 2-0? Did I miss seeing any refs?

z0sa
10-26-2006, 10:21 AM
I have to agree with the above post -- the Mavs were up 2-0, and had a lead in the late stretches of Game 3.

The refs arent to blame. The only people to be blamed are the Mavs themselves - specifically, Dirk nowitzki for the stupendous choke job.

ambchang
10-26-2006, 10:38 AM

Trolling is coming up with some twisted logic that the opposition cannot refute, coming in and having every single one of your arguments revoked is not trolling, is making a clown out of yourself.

ambchang
10-26-2006, 10:40 AM

Can a Spurs fan say the same thing with Spurs substituting for Mavs, Mavs substituting for Heat, take out Cuban and add small market, replace D. Wade and put in Dirk Nowitzki? Just wondering.

bdictjames
10-26-2006, 02:05 PM
Mavs winning a title with Aj in the lineup? Pssshh.. they couldn't even win with Nash on it

dirk4mvp
10-26-2006, 03:32 PM
Mavs winning a title with Aj in the lineup? Pssshh.. they couldn't even win with Nash on it

Riiiight. It was Nash's fault the Mavs never got to the finals when he was on the team. It couldn't of have anything to do with Nellie's style of play, could it?

leemajors
10-26-2006, 03:49 PM
is there anything outside of this thread saying that AJ is starting?

mavsfan1000
10-26-2006, 03:56 PM
is there anything outside of this thread saying that AJ is starting?
It was mentioned on a dallas newspaper. Terry would move to the 2 and AJ would be the point guard. Hopefully it doesn't happen. If Terry is going to move to the 2 than at least put Harris there than.

mavs>spurs2
10-26-2006, 05:04 PM
People have overrated the suns since the first season Nash played with them. And since then, they haven't even come close to a championship, and they never will. With their style of play they will be a good regular season team at best, not a good playoff team. That style of play has been proven time and time again not to work, yet people still overrate them more than any other sports team I can think of. At least in a couple years when Nash slows down all this Suns hype will die down.

mavsfan1000
10-26-2006, 05:08 PM
People have overrated the suns since the first season Nash played with them. And since then, they haven't even come close to a championship, and they never will. With their style of play they will be a good regular season team at best, not a good playoff team. That style of play has been proven time and time again not to work, yet people still overrate them more than any other sports team I can think of. At least in a couple years when Nash slows down all this Suns hype will die down.
It works pretty well against the mavs because Dallas doesn't have a big man in the post that can slow down the tempo and get easy scores. San Antonio though is the anti-suns because of Duncan. mavs>spurs>>suns but the mavs are only slightly better when they matchup with the suns.

cornbread
10-26-2006, 05:49 PM
The mavs would've won the series if it weren't for the refs.

WEAK!!!!

Trainwreck2100
10-26-2006, 05:54 PM

Then it's Karma