PDA

View Full Version : Over twelve hours later

ShoogarBear
01-03-2007, 11:40 AM
. . . and still NOT ONE thread giving Tony props for his fourth quarter last night.

Manu gets five swooning threads every time he scratches himself in a game, win or lose.

cherylsteele
01-03-2007, 11:44 AM
If you are so concerned about....then start one.

Bob Lanier
01-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Is it because him is French?

VaSpursFan
01-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Is it because him is French?

technically he's half dutch and half-american who grew up, and has citizenship in france.

ShoogarBear
01-03-2007, 11:54 AM
If you are so concerned about....then start one.You miss the point, it's not the lack of threads, it's the hypocrisy.

Emanuel20
01-03-2007, 11:55 AM
. . . and still NOT ONE thread giving Tony props for his fourth quarter last night.

Manu gets five swooning threads every time he scratches himself in a game, win or lose.

usually when manu takes over the 4th quarter we win.......
we lost yesterday so......tony does not really deserve any props..may be a little :P

Spurminator
01-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Tony can't win here.

1Parker1
01-03-2007, 12:03 PM
we lost yesterday so......tony does not really deserve any props..may be a little :P

:lmao

Props to Tony for showing heart and drive when no one else on the team seemed to care...:tu

MaNuMaNiAc
01-03-2007, 12:09 PM

Manu gets five swooning threads every time he scratches himself in a game, win or lose.Tony fans seem to have a MASSIVE inferiority complex when it comes to Manu :rolleyes

Shoog, what hypocrisy? Tony has his fans, they just don't seem to like to praise him as much as Manu fans like to praise Manu. That isn't about hypocrisy.

I just love how Tony fans instead of starting a thread to praise Tony, they start one to bitch that noone else has :lol

P.S. Props to Tony really, regardless of why nobody started the thread, Tony does deserve the praise.

ShoogarBear
01-03-2007, 12:14 PM
I love how Manu fans are so paranoid that they believe that anyone who dares to criticize the great Manu must be "ONE OF THEM".

I'm not a Manu fan or a Tony fan. I'm a Spurs fan and it pisses me off when people here are more a fan of one player than the team as a whole.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-03-2007, 12:16 PM
I think we've come to expect that kind of play from tony

plus, a loss is a loss, so while I appreciate his effort, we still didn't get the W which is what matters in the end

If Vaughn put up Parker's numbers from last night I'm sure he'd have gotten his share of props threads

MaNuMaNiAc
01-03-2007, 12:25 PM
I love how Manu fans are so paranoid that they believe that anyone who dares to criticize the great Manu must be "ONE OF THEM".

I'm not a Manu fan or a Tony fan. I'm a Spurs fan and it pisses me off when people here are more a fan of one player than the team as a whole.
Wether it pisses you off is not the issue. You were wrong, its not hypocrisy. Why is it that one seemingly can't be a fan of a team and STILL have favorites? because it pisses you off Shoogar? well I guess you're going to have to live with that huh?

I make no secret of the fact that my favorite player is Manu, but that doesn't mean I'm not as much a Spurs fan as the next guy. I like Tony, he's a terrific player, and God knows the Spurs including Manu would be fucked if we didn't have him.

P.S. Excuse me for assuming you were a fan of Tony seeing as though you're always singing his praises. There is nothing wrong with having favorites, its the ones that feel they have to bag on Tony to pimp Manu or viceversa that should really get a reallity check.

ShoogarBear
01-03-2007, 12:37 PM
:lol Always singing his praises? Again, looking at things through the Church glasses means that because I don't always praise Manu, I must always be praising Tony, right?

I bash Tony when he screws up. I was on record a long time ago as saying he'll probably never be as good a player as Jason Kidd (who incidentlally, is probably the player with an impact on a game most similar to Manu's). And one of the few die-hard Tony lovers around got made at me for contributing to the jokes about him finally passing the rock to Eva.

Bruce is probably my favorite current player on the Spurs, but nobody went after him harder than I did for sticking his foot under players.

Duncan and Robinson are two top 20 players and the Spurs would be nothing without them and God knows I've vented at them consistently.

I respect the game of basketball and love the Spurs too much to turn it into mindless player-worship.

George Gervin's Afro
01-03-2007, 12:38 PM

I agree

BigVee
01-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Props for what? Four uncontested lay-ups after the game was decided?

MaNuMaNiAc
01-03-2007, 12:41 PM
:lol Always singing his praises? Again, looking at things through the Church glasses means that because I don't always praise Manu, I must always be praising Tony, right?

I bash Tony when he screws up. I was on record a long time ago as saying he'll probably never be as good a player as Jason Kidd. And one of the few die-hard Tony lovers around got made at me for contributing to the jokes about him finally passing the rock to Eva.

Bruce is probably my favorite current player on the Spurs, but nobody went after him harder than I did for sticking his foot under players.

Duncan and Robinson are two top 20 players and the Spurs would be nothing without them and God knows I've vented at them consistently.

I respect the game of basketball and love the Spurs too much to turn it into mindless player-worship.
I never said you must be Tony fan because you don't praise Manu. If you're not a Tony fan then thats that, you clear it up and we move on. Everyone is going to have favorites Shoogar. Why don't you call out people who's favorite player is Duncan? I guess it isn't mindless then huh?

and please stop trying to imply that because I like Manu's style of play more than I do the rest that somehow makes me less of a Spurs fan, its an idiotic premise.

George Gervin's Afro
01-03-2007, 12:44 PM
Props for what? Four uncontested lay-ups after the game was decided?

No to TP fans he had an 8 point run to keep the spurs in the game.. :rolleyes

ShoogarBear
01-03-2007, 12:46 PM
I see the reinforcements have arrived.

ShoogarBear
01-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Sorry, I know that wasn't fair, but you see how they're making my point for me.

50 cent
01-03-2007, 12:48 PM
I will never understand the Tony haters.

He is 10x more valuable to this team than Manu.

MaNuMaNiAc
01-03-2007, 12:49 PM
I didn't see the game because... well it wasn't on over here, so I can't really argue. Still judging by the boxscore, it seemed to be a close game, so how anybody can find fault in 4 layups in the last minutes of the game is beyond me. If anything it shows Tony didn't just throw the towel and the rest of the players seem to have done.

MaNuMaNiAc
01-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Sorry, I know that wasn't fair, but you see how they're making my point for me.yes I do, that's the people I was referring to before

George Gervin's Afro
01-03-2007, 12:51 PM
I will never understand the Tony haters.

He is 10x more valuable to this team than Manu.

Then we are in trouble because if our 2nd best player gets shut down by collapsing defenses continually then we are sunk. Against the good teams and in the playoffs it's the same story teams keep him out of the lane and TP plays lost...

BigVee
01-03-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm not trying to make any point. I think the whole team played like shit last night. Manu couldn't shoot, gave the ball up in traffic, Tim did his hold the ball until someone strips it routine, and Tony looked to be in slow motion most of the night. I just didn't see anything special from him in the 4th quarter. They conceded him baskets.

ShoogarBear
01-03-2007, 12:56 PM
yes I do, that's the people I was referring to beforeWhat made me start this thread was not that nobody was giving TP any props, since that's pretty much a conditioned response, but that some moron started a thread actually blaming him for the fourth quarter last night.

boutons_
01-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Good point, Shane. :lol

Tony needs to teach Tim, the "Tin Woodman" from Wizard of Oz, about heart and toughness.

"TP plays lost"

not really, now that he has his jumper working well. If the Tim and paint is shutdown, Tony can still score.

MaNuMaNiAc
01-03-2007, 01:03 PM
What made me start this thread was not that nobody was giving TP any props, since that's pretty much a conditioned response, but that some moron started a thread actually blaming him for the fourth quarter last night.
I agree, sounds like if anything TP's fourth quarter is the reason the boxscore was so close.

Spurminator
01-03-2007, 01:07 PM
I'm just glad we don't have LeBron James. The guy missed (er, "forced") three shots, missed 2 crucial FTs and committed a costly turnover in the 4th Quarter. It's like he was trying to GIVE us the game.

Dude sucks. He and Parker should be the starting backcourt for the worst team in the D-League.

George Gervin's Afro
01-03-2007, 01:10 PM
I'm just glad we don't have LeBron James. The guy missed (er, "forced") three shots, missed 2 crucial FTs and committed a costly turnover in the 4th Quarter. It's like he was trying to GIVE us the game.

Dude sucks. He and Parker should be the starting backcourt for the worst team in the D-League.

Don't ever put TP and Lebron in the same paragraph... If Tim Duncan forces up bad shots I can live with that becuase he is our MVP.. The problem with Tim is that he is playing soft and whining about non-calls..

VaSpursFan
01-03-2007, 01:12 PM

:lol :lol :lol when you're aggressive and trying to win, mishaps will occur...high risk, high reward. no one is perfect down the stretch. if you try to play perfect ball, you will not be very effective.

hell, MJ made errrors in the waning moments of games too. i guess he sucks too :downspin: :downspin: :downspin:

Spurminator
01-03-2007, 01:12 PM
Is it too much to ask that the biggest star in the league make every shot he takes and never turn the ball over? Ever? Is that too much to ask?

George Gervin's Afro
01-03-2007, 01:14 PM
:lol :lol :lol when you're aggressive and trying to win, mishaps will occur...high risk, high reward. no one is perfect down the stretch. if you try to play perfect ball, you will not be very effective.

hell, MJ made errrors in the waning moments of games too. i guess he sucks too :downspin: :downspin: :downspin:

So I guess our team is relegated to a high risk/ high reward team? I always thought of our team as a methodical machine that wears folks down.. but since I never watch any games what the hell do I know?

spurschick
01-03-2007, 01:23 PM

Manu scratched himself last night?! Damn, I missed that! Did anyone record the game?

Love ya Shoog!

dknights411
01-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Is it too much to ask that the biggest star in the league make every shot he takes and never turn the ball over? Ever? Is that too much to ask?

Actually, yes. But I'm a realist in nature.

Solid D
01-03-2007, 02:01 PM
If you are so concerned about....then start one.

ShoogarBear is sensitive. He doesn't want you to fix it. He wants you to sympathize.

TwoHandJam
01-03-2007, 02:28 PM
I'm not trying to make any point. I think the whole team played like shit last night. Manu couldn't shoot, gave the ball up in traffic, Tim did his hold the ball until someone strips it routine, and Tony looked to be in slow motion most of the night. I just didn't see anything special from him in the 4th quarter. They conceded him baskets.
Exactly. Tony's effort was appreciated but it's not like he put the team on his back or anything. Cleveland was letting him get to the basket and trying not to foul. When the game was still in question in the fourth, both Tony and Manu were turning the ball over and making poor decisions.

I understand the point you're trying to make Shoogarbear but Tony is not known as a fourth quarter performer. Last night was no exception.

George Gervin's Afro
01-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Exactly. Tony's effort was appreciated but it's not like he put the team on his back or anything. Cleveland was letting him get to the basket and trying not to foul. When the game was still in question in the fourth, both Tony and Manu were turning the ball over and making poor decisions.

I understand the point you're trying to make Shoogarbear but Tony is not known as a fourth quarter performer. Last night was no exception.

You TP hater..

Bruno
01-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Parker is playing better and better with years and TP haters are more and more rediculous and funny. :lol

timvp
01-03-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm not sure what Church I belong to. Some think I am anti-Manu, but I'm on record as saying Manu > Gervin in a must-win game. Some say I'm a Tony homer, then again I've call him out for disappearing and called him out for letting the Eva circus distract him from basketball. So I'm pretty sure I'm right down the middle between party lines.

That said, no question Manu is the Golden Boy of the team. He plays his 25 minutes and no matter what he does, Spurs fans love him. Last night he was 0-for-7 when it counted and defensively, he turned Larry Hughes into LeBron James. I don't know the last time I saw the Cavs win and it wasn't LeBron doing the damage.

Even with all that, the Golden Boy got almost no blame. Duncan and even Oberto got blamed much more ... and those guys actually produced a little bit. If Manu wasn't missing shots or playing bad defense, he was turning the ball over. It doesn't matter though because Manu is the most loved player in franchise history.

Tony, on the other hand, gets blasted regularly and rarely gets praised. Pop can tell him to shoot the ball 20 times and Tony can go out and follow orders ... and then Spurs fans will complain that he wasn't passing enough. If Tony would have been the one 0-7 while turning Eric Snow into LeBron, there'd be a 22 page thread calling for a Parker for Speedy trade. I don't want to even think what would have happened if it was Tony who fouled Dirk last year instead of Manu . . .

I think it mostly comes down to the positions they play. Tony plays the hardest position in the game and the easiest to criticize. Manu plays half the game and it's a lot harder for him to mess up. If he's scoring, the masses think he's doing his job. Tony has to score, set up his teammates, follow Pop's orders, manage the game ... all while being by far the youngest member of the core. And on top of it all, he's a cocky French kid ... and nobody likes the French :)

All in all, they are both very good players. It's impossible for me to say which one is more important to the team, because they are virtually the same in terms of value. If either one goes down, there is no championship. But I gave up a long time ago in hoping Spurs fan would be fair to them. Manu is the most loved person in San Antonio who can do no wrong. Tony is the point guard who doesn't pass it to Manu enough.

And it won't change.

VaSpursFan
01-03-2007, 04:51 PM
I'm not sure what Church I belong to. Some think I am anti-Manu, but I'm on record as saying Manu > Gervin in a must-win game. Some say I'm a Tony homer, then again I've call him out for disappearing and called him out for letting the Eva circus distract him from basketball. So I'm pretty sure I'm right down the middle between party lines.

That said, no question Manu is the Golden Boy of the team. He plays his 25 minutes and no matter what he does, Spurs fans love him. Last night he was 0-for-7 when it counted and defensively, he turned Larry Hughes into LeBron James. I don't know the last time I saw the Cavs win and it wasn't LeBron doing the damage.

Even with all that, the Golden Boy got almost no blame. Duncan and even Oberto got blamed much more ... and those guys actually produced a little bit. If Manu wasn't missing shots or playing bad defense, he was turning the ball over. It doesn't matter though because Manu is the most loved player in franchise history.

Tony, on the other hand, gets blasted regularly and rarely gets praised. Pop can tell him to shoot the ball 20 times and Tony can go out and follow orders ... and then Spurs fans will complain that he wasn't passing enough. If Tony would have been the one 0-7 while turning Eric Snow into LeBron, there'd be a 22 page thread calling for a Parker for Speedy trade. I don't want to even think what would have happened if it was Tony who fouled Dirk last year instead of Manu . . .

I think it mostly comes down to the positions they play. Tony plays the hardest position in the game and the easiest to criticize. Manu plays half the game and it's a lot harder for him to mess up. If he's scoring, the masses think he's doing his job. Tony has to score, set up his teammates, follow Pop's orders, manage the game ... all while being by far the youngest member of the core. And on top of it all, he's a cocky French kid ... and nobody likes the French :)

All in all, they are both very good players. It's impossible for me to say which one is more important to the team, because they are virtually the same in terms of value. If either one goes down, there is no championship. But I gave up a long time ago in hoping Spurs fan would be fair to them. Manu is the most loved person in San Antonio who can do no wrong. Tony is the point guard who doesn't pass it to Manu enough.

And it won't change.

in my short time on this board, you have voiced everything i have seen. and your take is spot on how i feel. my fav player is duncan and i'm chastising him hardcore right now. i have no skin in the game in manu vs. tony but it seems like tp is under the microscope moreso that manu. as you mention, TP is doing what Pop tells him too a la a quarterback getting his plays from the sideline but calling an audible every now and then.

smeagol
01-03-2007, 05:09 PM

And it won't change.

:clap :clap :clap :clap

This post should be framed and hung on many posters' walls.

By the way, Manu sucked really bad last night.

Solid D
01-03-2007, 05:39 PM
I agree timvp. I will say that a Suns fan's stupid assertion that TP was being selfish or making the wrong decision in driving to the basket in the last minute last night, ignited some of this recent mess.

Parker is invaluable to this team. Yes, he fades late in games but there have been so many instances where Parker has saved the day. Let's face it. Without TP, there is no up-tempo.

dg7md
01-03-2007, 05:53 PM
technically he's half dutch and half-american who grew up, and has citizenship in france.

Which makes him french.

T Park
01-03-2007, 06:19 PM
I can remember one playoff game in 2005, where Ginobili was good, as was Duncan, but the reason they won was Tony Parker.

Games 3 and 4 IN Denver.

TwoHandJam
01-03-2007, 07:00 PM

And it won't change.
C'mon timvp, you're a smart guy so you should be able to figure this one out. As horrific as Manu can be in games (last night was a prime example) he usually turns things around in the crunch - and that's what people remember.

Let's face it, Manu has generated more highlight reel crunch time plays than anyone on this team virtually since he's been in the league. Do you think anyone remembers that Horry scored 0 points in the first 3 quarters of game 5 against Detroit in 2005? No. They only remember how he scored 17 points after that and singlehandedly won that game for us.

There's a reason Pop has Manu run the offense most times in the 4th quarter of close games and big playoff games - he thrives in those situations. Tony just doesn't. Manu is our closer. You know it, I know it, and you can bet your bottom dollar Pop knows it. He can shoot 1-8 in the first 3 quarters and then close out the game for us in the 4th with an incredible display and all is forgotten and forgiven. All's well that ends well you know.

Meanwhile, Tony often will score 18 pts in a half on 80% shooting and then disappear completely in the second half while committing costly turnovers when it really matters. What do you think people will remember? I don't think it's fair, it's just fact.

Oh yeah, and Manu speaks spanish while playing for a team in San Antonio. Think the fans relate to him? Go figure.

SequSpur
01-03-2007, 07:27 PM
tony parker is the best player in the nba.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Manu Ginobili Is The Greatest Basketball Player Ever To Hit The Hardwood. He Deserves All The Praise He Gets, Gotdamnit! Super-manu Is The Reason God Made California Damnit!!!

ducks
01-03-2007, 11:36 PM
sa hates tony because he is french and can not speak spanish
tp should demand to be traded

Kori Ellis
01-03-2007, 11:38 PM
tp should demand to be traded

I don't think SA hates Tony. Just a lot of people in this forum. :lol

T Park
01-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Alot of those people show their ignorance and stupidity time after time.

ducks
01-03-2007, 11:39 PM
people like dunks and tp does not dunk it as much as manu
MANU SUCKED ASS AGAINST JAMES LAST NIGHT
RIGHT NOW MANU IS NOW ON MY BAD SIDE
IT WAS AGAINST THE CAVS
DAMM IT MANU!

ShoogarBear
01-04-2007, 01:14 AM
tp should demand to be tradedTo where? New Orleans? :lol

aaronstampler
01-04-2007, 06:16 AM
I don't see anybody giving Manu props for his 4th against Minny. What's your point?

George Gervin's Afro
01-04-2007, 08:08 AM
Alot of those people show their ignorance and stupidity time after time.

Did you see how many forced shots TP took? 4th qtr turnovers? Your right he had neither..no complaints and we were in the game until the end. For the most part TP keeps Spurs in games through the first three quarters and I will give him that but my problems with him have to due with 4th qtr play... Last night he did not force the issue and the team was better for it. The couple of layups he missed last night were good takes they just didn't fall..

T Park
01-04-2007, 08:25 AM
Last night he did not force the issue and the team was better for it

He hardly forces things.

Only times he does, is when Ginobili, Duncan and everyone else stink.

And if its only then, then whats the problem?

None.

ShoogarBear
01-04-2007, 09:30 AM
I don't see anybody giving Manu props for his 4th against Minny. What's your point?Exceptionally lame. You guys are on notice now.

It would take all of 45 seconds to find hosts of threads giving Manu props for a five-minute stretch of play.

The Church shows its weak biases every time it tries to defend itself.

1Parker1
01-04-2007, 10:10 AM
I don't see anybody giving Manu props for his 4th against Minny.

Weak. About 5 minutes after the game ended.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57101

MI21
01-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Shoog, give it up bro, you are seriously wasting your time.

Tony has to be his usual self as well as being good at the things Manu excels in such as clutch plays etc whilst Manu doesn't have to be good at things that Tony excels at like carrying the team for games on end.

MI21
01-04-2007, 10:32 AM