PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Popovich affirms faith in team

Kori Ellis
01-27-2007, 02:06 AM
Spurs notebook: Popovich affirms faith in team

Web Posted: 01/27/2007 12:27 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

After telling the Spurs earlier this week they would carry their current roster into the playoffs, coach Gregg Popovich didn't back off his comments Friday.
"We're not going to make a trade," Popovich said. "We're making no trade. This is the team we're going to have come playoff time. I have that kind of confidence in them.

"We were a very good team last year and have the opportunity to do great things. We can be that same team or better if we do the things that are necessary. If we don't, then we won't get there."

Popovich, who typically doesn't address trade speculation publicly, admits he's never ruled out making a deal in previous seasons, let alone more than three weeks before the Feb. 22 trade deadline. He told the players after Wednesday's loss to Houston the team wasn't going to make any trades.

"I think it's a pretty bold move," Popovich said. "I made the statement. If I didn't mean it, I wouldn't have said it."

Popovich's decision — if he holds to it — is surprising given that the team has actively looked for ways to add athleticism to its roster. The Spurs also have tried to make a deadline-day deal — two of which fell through at the last minute — in each of the previous three seasons.

Popovich did leave himself some wiggle room, but not much.

"We might throw a peripheral player for a (draft pick) or trade a peripheral player for a peripheral player, but we're not going to trade our top 10, 11, 12 guys," Popovich said. "Nothing of significance. In other words, the top six, seven, eight, nine players aren't going anywhere. That's what I mean by no trade."

Brent Barry naturally has reason to be skeptical. On the day of last season's deadline, Popovich told him he was being traded. When the deal with New Orleans fell through at the last minute, Popovich called him back to say he was still on the team.

Barry also has been prominently mentioned in trade talks this season.

"We'll see," Barry said. "I believe Pop when he's suggesting a good wine. I believe Pop when he's telling me a good political book to read.

"When it comes to something like this, I personally want to wait until the deadline passes. I say it tongue in cheek, and I think it's pretty fair." :lol

Udrih steps up: Beno Udrih's future with the Spurs also has been in question, given his struggles this season. He responded Friday with one of his better performances of the season, contributing seven points and five assists.

All of Udrih's points and three of his assists came in the first half. He looked noticeably more confident, shooting when open and even driving hard to the rim for a three-point play.

Popovich, who benched Udrih on and off for much of the season, said he has backed off him of late in hopes he would improve.

"The backup point position is important because we need somebody to keep us steady," Popovich said. "He can either score a little bit or play some hellacious 'D' during the minutes he has out there.

"At this particular time, we're giving Beno the opportunity to show us he can be that guy. Whether he is that guy or not, at some point we'll start to increase Tony (Parker's) minutes a little bit because he's young enough to handle it and I want to have him in great shape come playoff time."

Parker still a Shooting Star: Tony Parker is going to the All-Star Game regardless of whether he plays in it.

Parker will defend the Shooting Stars title he won last season with former Spurs guard Steve Kerr and the Silver Stars' Kendra Wecker.

The competition is between three-person teams made up of a current player, a former franchise "legend" and a WNBA player. The teams must make shots from specific locations on the court.

Kori Ellis
01-27-2007, 02:08 AM
"We might throw a peripheral player for a (draft pick) or trade a peripheral player for a peripheral player, but we're not going to trade our top 10, 11, 12 guys," Popovich said. "Nothing of significance. In other words, the top six, seven, eight, nine players aren't going anywhere. That's what I mean by no trade."

I thought this quote was funny. He says no trade in the beginning of this article. Then in this quote, he starts out with nobody in the top 12 and then by the end of the quote, he is down top six. :lol

angel_luv
01-27-2007, 02:08 AM
For the record, I don't believe Pop. :lol

"We'll see," Barry said. "I believe Pop when he's suggesting a good wine. I believe Pop when he's telling me a good political book to read.

"When it comes to something like this, I personally want to wait until the deadline passes. I say it tongue in cheek, and I think it's pretty fair."

Exactly! :)

milkyway21
01-27-2007, 02:16 AM
I can imagine Tim Duncan praying his team will HELP HIM carry them into the playoffs right now ...

:angel :angel :angel
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006_images/nba.rankings/tim.duncan.jpg

:lol

lefty
01-27-2007, 02:20 AM
June 07 coming up ; it's happening

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/Spurstrophy_360_050623.jpg

The Truth #6
01-27-2007, 02:21 AM
Pop affirming faith in the team and saying no trades happens right before he throws someone under the bus.

SenorSpur
01-27-2007, 02:44 AM
Problem is he should have thought about addressing the team's lack of athleticism over the summer. It was soooo apparently obvious during the WCSF. Instead he deluded himself into believing that his team was "one bad foul" away from advancing and were well-equipped on the perimeter for this season. Same guy who thought NVE would make a suitable backup PG last season. HE DID NOTHING. Now, he's paying for it.

T Park
01-27-2007, 03:28 AM
Instead he deluded himself into believing that his team was "one bad foul" away from advancing and were well-equipped on the perimeter for this season

Well they were.

Ginobili doesn't foul Dirk, who knows what happens...

Mermaid Time2
01-27-2007, 03:34 AM
June 07 coming up ; it's happening

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/Spurstrophy_360_050623.jpg

LOL

MannyIsGod
01-27-2007, 04:57 AM
I think him leaving himself wiggle room was all about moving Williams.

Bruno
01-27-2007, 06:30 AM
I think him leaving himself wiggle room was all about moving Williams.

Me too. Spurs will likely do a move to go under the tax and Williams is the guy that will be moved for this kind of trade.

Beno Udrih's future with the Spurs also has been in question, given his struggles this season. He responded Friday with one of his better performances of the season, contributing seven points and five assists.

Beno has always well reacted this year after Pop' critics but it was only for one or few games. Please Beno, be consistent.

dg7md
01-27-2007, 06:40 AM
I don't know why people want Williams out so bad, he's tall and pretty athletic, versatile as well.

Bruno
01-27-2007, 07:11 AM
I don't know why people want Williams out so bad, he's tall and pretty athletic, versatile as well.

Nobody want him out badly. Spurs will likely do a financial move to go under the tax and Williams should be traded in this move because he doesn't play and has a salary big enough to put Spurs under the luxury tax.

WalterBenitez
01-27-2007, 07:19 AM
:monkey POP said no trade ... so a trade is coming!

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-27-2007, 01:39 PM
Well they were.

Ginobili doesn't foul Dirk, who knows what happens...

What happens last year has no effect on the fact Dallas is streaking this year and has gotten stronger, while we've gotten older and slower. Not to mention Dallas knows they can beat us when it counts.

Holding on to the past means exactly jack shit for the playoffs this year. You're starting to sound like Marcus crying about not having the 1999 version of Malik Rose around to help.

wildbill2u
01-27-2007, 01:51 PM
I take him at his word--no trades that will significantly alter the current players who are in the rotation.

The reason I take him at his word is because all the trade forums on this site have proven that we don't really have any good trade bait or possibilities that are worth having.

If you are Butler or Williams, you do not have a "get out of trade free" card. Maybe now Kori can lock up all the plethora of ridiculous trade forums.

1Parker1
01-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Looking at this Spurs team, it's like they can go either way:

If Elson even learns to play halfway decent Defense and Finley, Beno, and Barry play like they did last night against Memphis and Duncan/Parker/Ginobili do their thing, I can see this team overcoming it's shortcomings at going to the Finals. It's not that they don't have the personell to do it. Pop's coaching/substitution tactics, inconsistent bench play, and lack of defense have hurt the team. However, we've seen glimpses of how great they can be, like in that 3 minute span against Houston the other night.

Nonetheless, I can easily see this same team going the other way. I can see our Big Three doing all the work, Barry or Finley showing up to play (never both), and our lack of defense in the 3rd quarters hurting them in close playoff games.

1Parker1
01-27-2007, 01:58 PM
BTW, I HATE that quote Pop keeps saying about how if it weren't for a dumb foul last year, no one would be talking about how old the Spurs are right now and how they'd still be a "championship contender" or whatever.

He fails to acknowledge that while that may be true...that was last year. In the meantime, Mavs got even stronger in the offseason as did the Suns and plenty of other teams in the West: Jazz, Lakers, Nuggets, etc.

objective
01-27-2007, 02:10 PM
all the talk of being one Ginobili foul away from moving on reminds me of . . .

Blazer and Kings fans years ago after losing in 7 tough games to the Lakers.

"Next year will be different! We were one (bad ref call/lucky bounce/lucky shot/unfortunate nagging injury/missed free throw/bad foul/lack of X) away from beating the Lakers!"

And of course . . . they never came close again.

td4mvp21
01-27-2007, 02:14 PM
Looking at this Spurs team, it's like they can go either way:

If Elson even learns to play halfway decent Defense and Finley, Beno, and Barry play like they did last night against Memphis and Duncan/Parker/Ginobili do their thing, I can see this team overcoming it's shortcomings at going to the Finals. It's not that they don't have the personell to do it. Pop's coaching/substitution tactics, inconsistent bench play, and lack of defense have hurt the team. However, we've seen glimpses of how great they can be, like in that 3 minute span against Houston the other night.

Nonetheless, I can easily see this same team going the other way. I can see our Big Three doing all the work, Barry or Finley showing up to play (never both), and our lack of defense in the 3rd quarters hurting them in close playoff games.

That's exactly how I see it. This team can win a championship-if they work to function as one. Everything has to fall in place, so hopefully it will.

phxspurfan
01-27-2007, 02:28 PM

all true, if this were 2002.

objective
01-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Williams is average height-wise for small forwards. 6-8 is nothing special.

rascal
01-27-2007, 02:43 PM
I don't know why Pop has to say we won't make a trade. If he does make a trade he looks like a liar and if he doesn't he looks like he doesn't want to explore possibilities to improve the team. Its a no win situation to reply there will not be a trade.

Just say nothing or say trades are allways a possiblity if they feel they will improve the team.

Marcus Bryant
01-27-2007, 02:52 PM
The Spurs have weaknesses in the rotation and they're worried about avoiding the luxury tax and contracts with more than one year left.

GO SPURS GO!

boutons_
01-27-2007, 02:54 PM
"The Spurs have weaknesses in the rotation and they're worried about avoiding the luxury tax and contracts with more than one year left."

did you mean:

The Spurs have weaknesses in the rotation BUT they're worried about avoiding the luxury tax and contracts with more than one year left.

???

rascal
01-27-2007, 04:02 PM
The Spurs have weaknesses in the rotation and they're worried about avoiding the luxury tax and contracts with more than one year left.

GO SPURS GO!

That is not a strategy for success on the court.

Bruno
01-27-2007, 04:49 PM

GO SPURS GO!

Spurs can avoid the tax without hurting the team by moving Williams, I see no problem at all to do this kind of trade.

nkdlunch
01-27-2007, 05:03 PM
In the following days, Pop will insist he meant he is not trading any of our big 3. more days later he will assure us he meant he will not trade Duncan.

SenorSpur
01-27-2007, 07:28 PM
Typical CIA move

ploto
01-27-2007, 09:54 PM
People keep repeating that the Spurs were one foul away from the Finals, but they seem to forget they were also one Stackhouse shot away from being swept by Dallas.

This claim is insincere that they can be as good as last year because that is not the standard to which they should be holding themselves. They don't have to beat last year's Spurs team- they have to beat this year's Dallas and Phoenix teams.

RC's Boss
01-28-2007, 12:21 AM
Last years Spurs had their best player playing through pain. Though he was very good he was still hurting. Manu was a wreck all last year and Tony had a thigh bruise in that series I believe. And Stack missing a shot is a big difference from someone fouling a guy when the team was down by three. Players miss shots, but when a coach tells you don't foul and you do it anyway it becomes a more controllable outcome.

slayermin
01-28-2007, 02:44 AM
People keep repeating that the Spurs were one foul away from the Finals, but they seem to forget they were also one Stackhouse shot away from being swept by Dallas.

Losing game one would have made the Spurs more desperate. I don't think they get swept. The outcome of the series probably favors the Spurs in your scenario if Stackhouse hits the shot.

Marcus Bryant
01-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Spurs can avoid the tax without hurting the team by moving Williams, I see no problem at all to do this kind of trade.

:wtf

What about trades that actually help the team win?

Marcus Bryant
01-28-2007, 12:55 PM
Last years Spurs had their best player playing through pain. Though he was very good he was still hurting. Manu was a wreck all last year and Tony had a thigh bruise in that series I believe. And Stack missing a shot is a big difference from someone fouling a guy when the team was down by three. Players miss shots, but when a coach tells you don't foul and you do it anyway it becomes a more controllable outcome.

What's the excuse this year?

MannyIsGod
01-28-2007, 12:59 PM

This claim is insincere that they can be as good as last year because that is not the standard to which they should be holding themselves. They don't have to beat last year's Spurs team- they have to beat this year's Dallas and Phoenix teams.The point that is made when people say that is simply that they were close. It wasn't as though this team needed a complete overhaul. I hate that your damn tone keeps coming across as extremely condescending. This isn't a bunch of myopic fans. We know where this team stands right now, Ploto.

MannyIsGod
01-28-2007, 01:00 PM

What about trades that actually help the team win?Such as?

Marcus Bryant
01-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Such as?

How about not balking at Maggette's player option in 2008-09? If they were willing to take back a contract that extended past 2008 they could definitely find some opportunities.

MannyIsGod
01-28-2007, 01:07 PM
Sure Marcus. Thats exactly what stopped that trade from going through, the Spurs not wanting that player option on the books.

GMAFB.

If that was an issue, why have conversations with the Clippers at all?

Marcus Bryant
01-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Sure Marcus. Thats exactly what stopped that trade from going through, the Spurs not wanting that player option on the books.

GMAFB.

If that was an issue, why have conversations with the Clippers at all?

To see if they could hoodwink Maggette into doing something that foolish. That's the point this team has reached.

MannyIsGod
01-28-2007, 01:12 PM

Is that what Holt's cat told you what happend?

You're right that there are new lows being reached, but its not being done by the Spurs.

Marcus Bryant
01-28-2007, 01:14 PM

Is that what Holt's cat told you what happend?

You're right that there are new lows being reached, but its not being done by the Spurs.

Right, because every is going smoothly and the Spurs are obviously doing everything they can to win now. I guess I need to channel Dusty more.

MannyIsGod
01-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Ok, let me get this straight. I don't believe that the Spurs conversations for Magette were simply to try to talk him out of his player option year (which is an impossible act right now, but whatever) and now I'm channeling Dusty?

I think you're the only one here who even believes anything like that. Props.

Marcus Bryant
01-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Yeah, I guess I'm the only one who sees this team floundering, in no small part due to the limitations placed on it by ownership. I guess I need to misplace the blame.

MannyIsGod
01-28-2007, 01:22 PM
Dude, you're jumping all over the place. There isn't a person here who doesn't understand that the Spurs have made some less than desirable personal moves and that the team isn't playing well right now.

I'm making fun of your idiotic statement that the main reason the Spurs didn't get Magette here was because they were unwilling to take the chance on his player option. It's a fucking retarded statement.

Marcus Bryant
01-28-2007, 01:23 PM
Yeah, I guess it seems that my position is moving when you're scrambling to be an ownership apologist. It's much easier to stop whoring yourself out.

MannyIsGod
01-28-2007, 01:25 PM
That must be it.

Marcus Bryant
01-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Yeah. It's much more pleasant to voice your true opinion too.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-28-2007, 01:32 PM
Yeah, I guess I'm the only one who sees this team floundering, in no small part due to the limitations placed on it by ownership. I guess I need to misplace the blame.

I hate to pile on Manny's slapping around of your takes, but come on Marcus. Spare us the ivory tower bullshit that you're the only one here who sees this Spurs team has some issues.

Look around, try reading a thread. Everyone can see the Spurs have issues, it still remains to be determined what exactly (if anything) they are going to do to address it.

Bruno
01-28-2007, 01:53 PM

What about trades that actually help the team win?

So a team can't do more than one trade at the trade dealine ? :spin

Spurs will try to improve themselves with some trades but if there is a trade that can allow them to save money without hurting the team they have no reasons not to do it.

Marcus Bryant
01-28-2007, 01:57 PM
I hate to pile on Manny's slapping around of your takes, but come on Marcus. Spare us the ivory tower bullshit that you're the only one here who sees this Spurs team has some issues.

Look around, try reading a thread. Everyone can see the Spurs have issues, it still remains to be determined what exactly (if anything) they are going to do to address it.

:sleep

How about you shut the fuck up first? Seriously. All I ever see you do in this forum is spread your nonsense across multiple threads. Take the lead and curtail your montonous bullshit.

Marcus Bryant
01-28-2007, 01:58 PM
So a team can't do more than one trade at the trade dealine ? :spin

Spurs will try to improve themselves with some trades but if there is a trade that can allow them to save money without hurting the team they have no reasons not to do it.

:spin

Right. They'll make a move only if they can actually find one given the ridiculous limitations place on the basketball personnel by ownership.

Bruno
01-28-2007, 02:01 PM
:spin

Right. They'll make a move only if they can actually find one given the ridiculous limitations place on the basketball personnel by ownership.

They have offered a 4 years deal to Pryzbilla last summer. I think that they will take a player with more than 2 years left on his contract if he is worth it.

Marcus Bryant
01-28-2007, 02:06 PM
They have offered a 4 years deal to Pryzbilla last summer. I think that they will take a player with more than 2 years left on his contract if he is worth it.

They didn't make a serious run at Pryzbilla. Wouldn't Maggette be worth an extra season? Apparently not, in the eyes of ownership.

Bruno
01-28-2007, 02:10 PM
They didn't make a serious run at Pryzbilla.

They did.

Marcus Bryant
01-28-2007, 02:11 PM
Nope. They should've made a run after Bonzi Wells, but oh well.

Bruno
01-28-2007, 02:14 PM
Nope.

Ok, fell free to change facts and continue to live in your fantasy world that is based around hating Spurs owner and FO.

MannyIsGod
01-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Ok, fell free to change facts and continue to live in your fantasy world that is based around hating Spurs owner and FO.You need to stop channeling Dusty Garza.

objective
01-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Spurs did offer Pryzbilla 4 years. From a poorly written article in Oregon:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf?/base/sports/115207351348260.xml&coll=7

While you were in the front yard reminding your children to be safe and sane on Tuesday, Trail Blazers center Joel Przybilla turned down a $29 million offer from the Detroit Pistons. Then, he thanked San Antonio for its interest, and told the Spurs to spend their $24 million on some other free agent.

What we have here is an example of one man's capacity to believe, to have and keep faith, to value loyalty, and to know that things will work out fine if he just believes a little harder.

Debate for yourself if Przybilla has some Tennyson in him, or if old "Tenny" might have made a loyal back-to-the-basket center. Whatever, give the Blazers some credit.

The big free agent fish that they just convinced to jump into their boat is the same one they caught two years ago, traumatized, a little, nurtured, a little, then released back into the ocean a few days ago.

that last bit is so terrible it makes Buck Harvey's fill in the blanks column templates seem praiseworthy.

Marcus Bryant
01-28-2007, 02:31 PM
Ok, fell free to change facts and continue to live in your fantasy world that is based around hating Spurs owner and FO.

You're right. I need to live in never never land and cheer ownership's income statement.

Marcus Bryant
01-28-2007, 02:32 PM
Spurs did offer Pryzbilla 4 years. From a poorly written article in Oregon:

4 years $24 mil? A strong offer indeed.

:clap

RC's Boss
01-28-2007, 03:29 PM
What's the excuse this year?
The playoffs haven't started. There are way to many fucking whiners on this damn board!

RC's Boss
01-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Nope. They should've made a run after Bonzi Wells, but oh well.
Yeah, Bonzi's play after he signs a contract :rolleyes I've said it before and I'll say it again, go to the FO and apply for a job. You damn psuedo-GM's kill me w/ your ignorant assed responses as if you could run a fucking team!

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-28-2007, 03:48 PM
The playoffs haven't started. There are way to many fucking whiners on this damn board!

The problem is come the playoffs it's too late to make a trade.

Pugglekicker_21
01-29-2007, 09:50 PM
faith in your team helps but winning helps more