PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR TV Ratings

MajorMike
02-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Overnight TV Ratings for Bud Shootout: Fox's broadcast of Saturday night's Budweiser Shootout from Daytona International Speedway earned the second-highest overnight rating for any weekend sports broadcast, according to numbers posted by Street & Smith's SportsBusiness Daily. The non-points race for last year's Nextel Cup pole winners and previous event champions earned a 4.2 overnight Nielsen Media Research rating and a 7 market share.

Fox's coverage of Sunday's qualifying session for next week's Daytona 500 Nextel Cup season opener earned a 2.5 overnight rating and a 6 share.

DarkReign
02-12-2007, 04:50 PM
Just goes to show you can take the redneck out of the country, but you cant take the country out of the redneck.

1. Hit gas.
2. Turn left.
3. Avoid other cars.

MajorMike
02-12-2007, 05:07 PM
As opposed to... ring bell, beat the poop out of each other, ring bell... repeat.

Yeah, that's much better.

One big difference is that neks have stock car fans that aren't just 18-33 year old single men that want to party and drink like they are still in hs.

LEONARD
02-12-2007, 05:11 PM
As opposed to... ring bell, beat the poop out of each other, ring bell... repeat.

One big difference is that neks have stock car fans that aren't just 18-33 year old single men that want to party and drink like they are still in hs.

LOL...so the Nascar driver is more "skilled" or "athletic" is what you're inferring?? :lol

I'm married with a kid. College educated. I don't drink. I don't go crazy during fights.

My boss is a huge fan...married with a 3 kids, college educated, etc etc.

Sure there are some idiots that would fit the picture you paint, but you'd be surprised how many don't...

IX_Equilibrium
02-12-2007, 05:37 PM
Yeah, Nascar fans are so sophisticated.

http://www.deadbodiesinc.com/photos/hairy_back.jpg

http://www.armyofmom.com/4-8-06%20redneck%20love%20butt%20crack.jpg

:lol :rollin

LEONARD
02-12-2007, 05:42 PM
LOL...

Seriously, you just can't compare any sport's fans to NASCAR's...that's just the way it is...

IX_Equilibrium
02-12-2007, 05:50 PM
Real Nascar fan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQD5ikVAzqU

:lmao Nascar translation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX6T6tTF82w

LEONARD
02-12-2007, 05:53 PM
LOL...maybe we do need some more NASCAR threads around here...

DarkReign
02-12-2007, 11:06 PM

LOL....I was just busting your balls. Chill out. You knew the response youd get when you posted, so quit acting like you didnt.

MajorMike
02-13-2007, 02:33 PM
LOL...so the Nascar driver is more "skilled" or "athletic" is what you're inferring?? :lol

I'm married with a kid. College educated. I don't drink. I don't go crazy during fights.

Sure there are some idiots that would fit the picture you paint, but you'd be surprised how many don't...

I have 2 MS 2 kids 1 one way military etc etc

Sure there are some neks that would fit the picture you paint, but you'd be surprised how many don't...

LEONARD
02-13-2007, 02:34 PM

Sure there are some neks that would fit the picture you paint, but you'd be surprised how many don't...

So the Nascar driver is more "skilled" or "athletic" is what you're inferring??

IX_Equilibrium
02-13-2007, 02:54 PM
hahaha

MajorMike
02-13-2007, 04:05 PM

Yes, that's for sure what I'm referring to. Way to follow logical patterns.

LEONARD
02-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Yes, that's for sure what I'm referring to. Way to follow logical patterns.

LOL...my question had nothing to do with what I quoted...

I was just re-asking the original question above that you ignored...now twice...

Here ya go:

1. Hit gas.
2. Turn left.
3. Avoid other cars.

As opposed to... ring bell, beat the poop out of each other, ring bell... repeat. Yeah, that's much better.

CaptMike's answer goes ____________________________________ :fro

MajorMike
02-13-2007, 05:38 PM
Just goes to show you can take the redneck out of the country, but you cant take the country out of the redneck.

Yeah, Nascar fans are so sophisticated.

http://www.deadbodiesinc.com/photos/hairy_back.jpg

http://www.armyofmom.com/4-8-06%20redneck%20love%20butt%20crack.jpg

:lol :rollin

LOL...my question had nothing to do with what I quoted...

I was just re-asking the original question above that you ignored...now twice...

Here ya go:

CaptMike's answer goes ____________________________________ :fro
The best part is I wasn't making any reference to that at all. Again... lo-gi-cal pat-tern. The reason my reply had nothing to do with your quote was that you were in the wrong holding pattern.

LEONARD
02-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Alrighty then...

MajorMike
02-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Which all-in-all I find this discussion extremely humorous, when the original point was a redneck car racin' tabaky chewin' beer drinkin stupid no athlete only going around in circles 'sport' gets higher ratings... for qualifying... than any UFC ever had for anything.

I would think that NASCAR progression would be a line that UFC fans would want to follow. It started as a male only, 18-35, no mass tv package, southern, redneck, single demographic event supported originally only but localized crowds as a spectator event. Now it is the single largest spectator league in the world, with networks paying huge $ for programming rights and sponsors paying huge $ for naming rights. Why you wanna make fun of something that wrote the blue print for what you wanna be?

LEONARD
02-13-2007, 05:50 PM
Why you wanna make fun of something that wrote the blue print for what you wanna be?

because it's not a sport... :dizzy

and MMA for the most part will always be on PPV, Showtime, HBO, etc. It won't be on live every Sunday afternoon...

MajorMike
02-13-2007, 08:03 PM
So, isn't it the old addage that if an event is scored, its not a sport (i.e. gymnastics, skating, etc). Isn't fighting scored?

Remember how big heavyweight boxing was around 10-15 years ago?

Moral of the story is... enjoy the peak while you are on it.

IX_Equilibrium
02-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Remember how big heavyweight boxing was around 10-15 years ago?

If you look at the amount of increasing national exposure, revenues, and starup promotions that MMA has received in the last six months, you'd know that MMA is not even close to peaking.

To try to equate the current status of MMA to the popularity of heavyweight boxing is inane, especially when you consider that MMA is a big reason why boxing's popularity has diminished.

Also, since when did Nascar ever get most of their revenues from PPV events? Nascar, the blueprint for MMA? :wtf

MajorMike
02-13-2007, 09:04 PM
To try to equate the current status of MMA to the popularity of heavyweight boxing is inane, especially when you consider that MMA is a big reason why boxing's popularity has diminished.

Please tell me you aren't REALLY ignorant enough to believe that.

And you are right about PPV. NASCAR doesn't need PPV, because it gets its revenue from advertising. The networks (5 of them) paid 4.4 billion dollars for the RIGHT to broadcast. PPV means not for wide enough consumption to have suitable revenue to warrant a full network contract.

Wow, seriously, if you are going to pick arguements, those are some pretty... at the least uninformed, lanes to go down.

DarkReign
02-13-2007, 09:15 PM
I was just busting your balls earlier, but now I will say my final piece on this whole NASCAR mythology youre spinning.

So, isn't it the old addage that if an event is scored, its not a sport (i.e. gymnastics, skating, etc). Isn't fighting scored?

While I dont know the Merriam-Webster definition, even if I did, I probably wouldnt agree.

To me, a sport contains athletes. Let me explain.

Im sure the NASCAR drivers today are all very much into nutrition and working out, etc. But the "sport" in question does not require a fitness level to excel at.

Same with golf. You can be fat and old and still be awesome (even the best). Same with NASCAR.

I can be the most physically-fit, athletic Spelling Bee Champion in the world....doesnt make the spelling bee a sport.

Therefore, by my personal definition, for a competition to become a sport it must require athletes.

Now it is the single largest spectator league in the world

I have serious doubts with that statement for obvious reasons. It may be the single largest spectator sport in America, but not the world. Do I need to tell you what most people outside the US watch for sport? What stadiums hold well over 300,000 (up to 1.1 million) people with multiple leagues across the globe?

I didnt think so.

IX_Equilibrium
02-14-2007, 12:17 AM
Please tell me you aren't REALLY ignorant enough to believe that.

What I'll tell you is that your are ignorant enough to not know it.

And you are right about PPV. NASCAR doesn't need PPV, because it gets its revenue from advertising. The networks (5 of them) paid 4.4 billion dollars for the RIGHT to broadcast. PPV means not for wide enough consumption to have suitable revenue to warrant a full network contract.

Yes, so we both agree that your statement of Nascar providing a blueprint for MMA is bullshit. You call me uninformed? How about paying attention to the media avenues the two sports have taken and how different they are. Fucking blueprint... :lol

I remember you equating MMA to Roller Derby, as it being a fad. Now you say MMA has peaked. Making an ass out of a imbecile like you isn't a big feat (especially with the ridiculous statements you make), but please read the article in the hope that you may learn something. Artcle dated yesterday, 2/12/2007. The article takes a look at revenues, ppv numbers, and competition such as boxing. It also shows how the world of MMA is expanding. A good read for whoever may be reading this response to a lout.

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/newstex/RBI-0059-14455104.htm

MajorMike
02-14-2007, 09:04 AM
Man. Diluted, you are for sure. That is quite possibly the stupidest statement I have ever heard. MMA was nothing before boxing was already on its way out the door. Different media outlets? Of course they do. It's because of the media outlets that will HAVE them. Trust me, if UFC was anything worth having ever money grubbing network exec known to man would try pitching it as the next big thing. Its not on Fox or ABC or NBC or TNT because it doesn't warrant the time there. Hell, NASCAR has an entire channel (Speed). NASCAR has its own DIRECTV package. UFC gets, according to your article, "average of 350,000 to 400,000 pay-per-view buys a year and more than 2 million viewers a season on Spike TV, through its reality series The Ultimate Fighter and live fight telecasts." NASCAR got over 1.3 million to just watch one race qualifying. NASCAR has one RACE that draws 400,000 people to it.

Based on your previously tendencies to blow up and post idiot threads, I am not surprised, however, of some of the dumb ideas you have about the world. Leonard actually makes a decent argument. You just flame and act like a child. You are the exact person I would imagine would be a UFC fan: Instant gratification; no substance. But please, open your mouth some more, I'm sure LEO and Dark are loving your help.

MajorMike
02-14-2007, 09:42 AM
I was just busting your balls earlier, but now I will say my final piece on this whole NASCAR mythology youre spinning.

While I dont know the Merriam-Webster definition, even if I did, I probably wouldnt agree.

To me, a sport contains athletes. Let me explain.

Im sure the NASCAR drivers today are all very much into nutrition and working out, etc. But the "sport" in question does not require a fitness level to excel at.

Same with golf. You can be fat and old and still be awesome (even the best). Same with NASCAR.

I can be the most physically-fit, athletic Spelling Bee Champion in the world....doesnt make the spelling bee a sport.

Therefore, by my personal definition, for a competition to become a sport it must require athletes.

I have serious doubts with that statement for obvious reasons. It may be the single largest spectator sport in America, but not the world. Do I need to tell you what most people outside the US watch for sport? What stadiums hold well over 300,000 (up to 1.1 million) people with multiple leagues across the globe?

I didnt think so.

I won't disagree with any of that sport talk, was just making a point about differences in qualifying language.

As far as spectators? Notice I said League. No other League in the world averages as many people per event as NASCAR. Perhaps the only 2 leagues in the world that could compare are the Premier League or the NFL, and neither come close, really. It is hard to compare when NASCAR draws crowds of 400k (Indy), 250k, 250k (Texas twice), 200k, 200k (Talledega twice), 200k, 200k (Daytona twice), 165k, 165k (Charlotte twice),160k, 160k (Bristol twice), 140k, 140k (LV twice), 100k, 100k (Cali twice), etc, etc. No way any league can compare to that. If you add in the fact that a NASCAR race is a whole weekend, and yes you buy tickets to every event, then those numbers go up astronomically. That is just at the races. A NY Times article lists NASCAR and the 2nd most-watched sport in America and the Daytona 500 as the 2nd most-watched sporting event behind the Super Bowl.

LEONARD
02-14-2007, 09:59 AM
I'm tired of this argument...just a few final points:

1. That article says "average of 350,000 to 400,000 pay-per-view buys a year" which is wrong in a couple ways. The UFC did 10 PPV's last year with the worst one probably doing 350k (early in 2006) and the best doing 1.1 million buys (end of 2006). Probably around 5 million PPV buys for the year. (They also did 8 fight cards on Spike TV). This year there will be more UFC PPV's than last year along with several cards on HBO, and just as many Spike events along with the TUF 5 reality show. And that's just the UFC. Pride has 3 US PPV's scheduled thru half of the year plus the PPV's in Japan. Bodogfight, Elite XC, IFL, WEC...

2. If you think MMA has "peaked," then you just don't have a clue what you're talking about. 2007 will be MUCH bigger than 2006 was. It's obvious that CaptMike doesn't have a clue about MMA...surely even he will admit that.

Are Pride and MMA or UFC or whatever the same thing? Or is this just like the 9 different belts for the same class in boxing?

He doesn't know enough about the sport to have any hot sports opinions on it...

and I don't know why I took the time to explain it all to him when he posted that because he never replied...douche move...

3. I don't know that MMA will ever be as big as NASCAR, and I don't really care if it is. NASCAR is huge in the US...as boring as I think it is, many find it quite the opposite. I really doubt that MMA will ever be picked up by one of the 4 big channels. Not everybody can wrap their brain around the complexity of MMA. I mean, it's so brutal and all, even though there has never been an MMA death in a sanctioned event. But boxing is the "sweet science" and for some reason gets a pass on all of the boxing deaths every year (rarely even makes the news for some reason). If only Dale Earnhardt had chosen MMA instead of stock car racing he'd still be around today...

4. We'll be seeing UFC highlights on SportCenter by the end of 2007...I don't know if that's good or not, but it'll happen eventually. ESPN has realized they've dropped the ball and are missing out on a huge money train. All you have to do is turn on ESPN 2 or Classic just about any night and they're playing old ISKA kickboxing matches or Muy Thai fights because it's all they've got that's similar to MMA...

IX_Equilibrium
02-14-2007, 11:06 AM
Man. Diluted, you are for sure. That is quite possibly the stupidest statement I have ever heard. MMA was nothing before boxing was already on its way out the door. Different media outlets? Of course they do. It's because of the media outlets that will HAVE them. Trust me, if UFC was anything worth having ever money grubbing network exec known to man would try pitching it as the next big thing. Its not on Fox or ABC or NBC or TNT because it doesn't warrant the time there. Hell, NASCAR has an entire channel (Speed). NASCAR has its own DIRECTV package. UFC gets, according to your article, "average of 350,000 to 400,000 pay-per-view buys a year and more than 2 million viewers a season on Spike TV, through its reality series The Ultimate Fighter and live fight telecasts." NASCAR got over 1.3 million to just watch one race qualifying. NASCAR has one RACE that draws 400,000 people to it.

Are you that much if a dunce that you can't see you have refuted your own statement? You siad Nascar has provided a blueprint for MMA. Do you know what the word blueprint means?? If you did, you would see that MMA is not expanding by the same methods that Nascar has, not even close. So tell me how is that a blueprint??

And I never claimed that more people watched the UFC than Nascar. If you are too slow to get it, I posted the article in the response to your "MMA has peaked" statement. And if you want to believe that MMA has nothing to do with boxing's dwindling numbers which correlate with MMA's rise in popularity, keep putting your head in the sand.

IX_Equilibrium
02-14-2007, 11:10 AM
It's obvious that CaptMike doesn't have a clue about MMA...surely even he will admit that.

He doesn't know enough about the sport to have any hot sports opinions on it...

and I don't know why I took the time to explain it all to him when he posted that because he never replied...douche move...

It goes way beyond him being ignorant. He argues against statements that he's already made without realizing it! :lol

MajorMike
02-14-2007, 11:37 AM
Are you that much if a dunce that you can't see you have refuted your own statement? You siad Nascar has provided a blueprint for MMA. Do you know what the word blueprint means?? If you did, you would see that MMA is not expanding by the same methods that Nascar has, not even close. So tell me how is that a blueprint??

And I never claimed that more people watched the UFC than Nascar. If you are too slow to get it, I posted the article in the response to your "MMA has peaked" statement. And if you want to believe that MMA has nothing to do with boxing's dwindling numbers which correlate with MMA's rise in popularity, keep putting your head in the sand.

Said, not siad. Yes I know what it means and obviously you don't or you wouldn't keep acting like a scorned 13 year old girl. MMA had zero to do with boxing's decline and you are an imbecile to suggest so. But you already know that. If you want to argue that because UFC is expanding by OTHER means, then that is your only avenue to be correct, however I am completely correct when I say that UFC can look to NASCAR to see what it did to expand its base and grow. Any idiot can see that (except you). It is fun, however, to continue to see the other guys in the thread try to shut you up by trying to put an end to the conversation. Please, continue.

LEONARD
02-14-2007, 11:39 AM
Said, not siad.

Seriously, why even bother nit-picking a typo?? A clear sign that you're grasping at anything you can at this point...

It is fun, however, to continue to see the other guys in the thread try to shut you up by trying to put an end to the conversation. Please, continue.

Who are you referring to? I'm tired of the thread and the argument because of you :lol

MajorMike
02-14-2007, 11:44 AM
So why is it ok for you to put down NASCAR but its a sin for me to put down UFC?

IX_Equilibrium
02-14-2007, 11:46 AM
Said, not siad. Yes I know what it means and obviously you don't or you wouldn't keep acting like a scorned 13 year old girl. MMA had zero to do with boxing's decline and you are an imbecile to suggest so. But you already know that. If you want to argue that because UFC is expanding by OTHER means, then that is your only avenue to be correct, however I am completely correct when I say that UFC can look to NASCAR to see what it did to expand its base and grow. Any idiot can see that (except you). It is fun, however, to continue to see the other guys in the thread try to shut you up by trying to put an end to the conversation. Please, continue.

Hey Leonard, were you trying to shut me up? :depressed :spin

Look, you've already made enough of an ass of yourself, acting like Nascar's success was an inspiration for MMA, saying that MMA is a fad like roller derby, claiming that MMA has peaked, etc. Just keep saying stupid shit which can be proven wrong by the reality of things. Maybe we can review just how far MMA has gone and relook at the PPV numbers, revenues, and exposure in one year's time, and get an even bigger laugh out of your inane stamements. Well, hopefully you will shut up by then.

IX_Equilibrium
02-14-2007, 11:55 AM
So why is it ok for you to put down NASCAR but its a sin for me to put down UFC?

I doubt anyone here would give a shit about Nascar, but when you look at this thread, you were the one who was always being a troll. Don't pull this "why me, why nascar :( " bullshit. You don't want anyone to troll your nascar threads, fine. Kindly do the same for MMA.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50196&highlight=roller+derby

LEONARD
02-14-2007, 11:55 AM

Honestly, I just like busting your balls over NASCAR because you started ripping on the UFC a while back. You randomly posted smartass comments in MMA threads long before I said anything about NASCAR...

I've watched enough NASCAR to know that it's not something that does anything for me. I'll probably watch the last few laps of the Daytona 500 or the TMS races to look for a friend of mine that runs victory lane, and that's about it for me for the year. The rest just bores me to tears, unless they have a big wreck. I know there is a lot of strategy to it, history between drivers, team implications with who helps who, etc but it does nothing for me.

Based on what you've posted, you obviously know nothing about MMA so I don't see how you can form a valid opinion about it. If you're going to put down MMA, at least know what you're talking about and make a valid case for what you're saying...

MajorMike
02-14-2007, 12:04 PM
I doubt anyone here would give a shit about Nascar, but when you look at this thread, you were the one who was always being a troll. Don't pull this "why me, why nascar :( " bullshit. You don't want anyone to troll your nascar threads, fine. Kindly do the same for MMA.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50196&highlight=roller+derby

When you look at this thread, the one we are ON, I wasn't.

Its ok, tho, my 2 year old thinks he is always right too.

Roller Derby was a harsh comparison, because after all, Derby did dominate an entire decade, so you are right that was not a good one to go up against.

MMA is more like WWE. WWE still does well on tv, posting 3s regularly. WWE had huge PPVs. WWE sells out stadiums. WWE had a successful reality series. However while they will continue to do well, they will never be back to the era of Austin 3:16 shirts, top selling soundtracks, action figures and animated cartoons. Whereas they may not be on the decline yet, it will never be as big as it was and will continue to fight for its audience.

Such will be the fate of UFC.

And UFC will never... EVER, be as popular/successful as WWE was or is today.

IX_Equilibrium
02-14-2007, 12:14 PM
MMA is more like WWE. WWE still does well on tv, posting 3s regularly. WWE had huge PPVs. WWE sells out stadiums. WWE had a successful reality series. However while they will continue to do well, they will never be back to the era of Austin 3:16 shirts, top selling soundtracks, action figures and animated cartoons. Whereas they may not be on the decline yet, it will never be as big as it was and will continue to fight for its audience.

Such will be the fate of UFC.

Oh, now the comparison goes to pro wrestling. More prophetic statements from our resident nostradamus. :rolleyes

MajorMike
02-14-2007, 12:18 PM
At least you were smart enough not to deny it.

Heck, Jimmy Houston got really good tv ratings or a year or two.

IX_Equilibrium
02-14-2007, 12:25 PM
At least you were smart enough not to deny it.

Heck, Jimmy Houston got really good tv ratings or a year or two.

Deny something that may or may not happen in the future? Sorry, I'm not clairvoyant, as you claim to be. Most intelligent people would see that MMA has shown no signs of reaching it's ceiling, with advertising budgets getting bigger by the week, and the expanding of big promotions like the UFC into international markets.

MajorMike
02-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Deny something that may or may not happen in the future? Sorry, I'm not clairvoyant, as you claim to be. Most intelligent people would see that MMA has shown no signs of reaching it's ceiling, with advertising budgets getting bigger by the week, and the expanding of big promotions like the UFC into international markets.

Jimmy Houston had his own boat line.

MajorMike
02-14-2007, 12:30 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/04/Willhunghaas.jpg/405px-Willhunghaas.jpg

IX_Equilibrium
02-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Good! Resorting to jokes shows even you understand the depth of stupidity that you spew forth in your posts.

LEONARD
02-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Roller Derby was a harsh comparison, because after all, Derby did dominate an entire decade, so you are right that was not a good one to go up against..

Roller Derby dominated a decade?? :lol In what way??

and nice job implying that MMA can never reach the heights of roller derby, by the way... :rolleyes

MMA is more like WWE. WWE still does well on tv, posting 3s regularly. WWE had huge PPVs. WWE sells out stadiums. WWE had a successful reality series. However while they will continue to do well, they will never be back to the era of Austin 3:16 shirts, top selling soundtracks, action figures and animated cartoons. Whereas they may not be on the decline yet, it will never be as big as it was and will continue to fight for its audience. Such will be the fate of UFC.

WTF?? WWE is fake BS that shows just how many idiots we have in this country...it's sad really. I've never watched more than 30 seconds of fake wrestling at any one time in my life. Complete garbage...it's only value is comedic...

MMA is a legit sport that's fully sanctioned by the same bodies that govern boxing. How is that like WWE?? I'm so confused...

Once again, you've shown that you know NOTHING about the sport, so how can you form such strong opinions??

LEONARD
02-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Good! Resorting to jokes shows even you understand the depth of stupidity that you spew forth in your posts.

It's kinda like pointing out typo's in the middle of an argument... :lol

IX_Equilibrium
02-14-2007, 12:58 PM

Didn't you know that Leonard??? You can learn alot from CaptMike!

:lmao

WTF?? WWE is fake BS that shows just how many idiots we have in this country...it's sad really. I've never watched more than 30 seconds of fake wrestling at any one time in my life. Complete garbage...it's only value is comedic...

MMA is a legit sport that's fully sanctioned by the same bodies that govern boxing. How is that like WWE?? I'm so confused...

I'm not surprised that in injected the WWE into his pathtic argument. NAscar fans love their fake wrestling. Besides, what else would they watch whenever Earnhardt isn't on the track??

MajorMike
02-14-2007, 01:08 PM

Once again, you've shown that you know NOTHING about the sport, so how can you form such strong opinions??

I know its more popular.

I know it has national network contracts.

I know it generates more money in tv, marketing, advertising and merchandising revenues.

Fully sanctioned, huh? Well so is boxing... and boxing has NEVER been rigged, right?

I also continually find it funny you keep poking fun at the spelling correction, when it was done for effect following the 'all stockcar fans are rednecks' comment, which becomes funnier every second you keep alluding to it.

MajorMike
02-14-2007, 01:12 PM

and nice job implying that MMA can never reach the heights of roller derby, by the way... :rolleyes

To the media, there was only one Roller Derby, and from Jerry Seltzer's takeover in the late 50's the game reached new heights of popularity with a 120-station television network where taped games from the Bombers' home, Kezar Pavilion in San Francisco, were shown weekly. Television made fans of thousands and the Bombers packed arenas from coast to coast on cross country tours, regularly selling out arenas such as Madison Square Garden, Boston Garden, Kiel Auditorium in St. Louis and dozens more. The indoor record for Roller Derby was set at 19,507 at Madison Square Garden in 1970; it was broken by the outdoor record at the Oakland Coliseum a few months later at around 28,000 for a game between the Bombers and the Northeast Braves. The following year that record was topped again with 34,000 for a Bomber game at the Coliseum; their rival, the Midwest Pioneers, broke that record with 50,000 fans in 1972 for a game at Comiskey Park in Chicago. At this point, the Bombers home-team concept was duplicated with the New York Chiefs representing the Eastern U.S. and the Pioneers based in Chicago (but really everything west of Philadelphia).

MajorMike
02-14-2007, 01:13 PM
I'm not surprised that in injected the WWE into his pathtic argument. NAscar fans love their fake wrestling. Besides, what else would they watch whenever Earnhardt isn't on the track??

I think WWE is lame, just like UFC. WWE is just more popular.

MajorMike
02-14-2007, 01:14 PM

It shows the futility of your arguements and the fact UFC is a flash in the pan, much like William Hung.

MajorMike
02-14-2007, 01:14 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't bet on UFC becoming very popular if I were you, either. Hard to take a chance on a fad.

MajorMike
02-14-2007, 01:15 PM
Hey Leonard, were you trying to shut me up? :depressed :spin

Geez, someone needs to. Your momma obviously didn't do a very good job of it.

LEONARD
02-14-2007, 01:16 PM
I know its more popular.

I know it has national network contracts.

I know it generates more money in tv, marketing, advertising and merchandising revenues.

Fully sanctioned, huh? Well so is boxing... and boxing has NEVER been rigged, right?

I also continually find it funny you keep poking fun at the spelling correction, when it was done for effect following the 'all stockcar fans are rednecks' comment, which becomes funnier every second you keep alluding to it.

WWE will always be popular because there will always be low class people in this country that watch that $hit...and unfortunately, they do breed so the fanbase will remain. Unfortunately some of these same people are UFC fans, which is one reason why some UFC fans drive me crazy. The drunken rednecks at the events suck...luckily it's not a large part of the crowd and the fighters and president of the UFC have started calling them out for being idiots...

Yes, fully sanctioned. What does that have to do with rigged fights? The second there are rigged fights in the UFC, I'm out...

There is a difference between not being able to spell and a typo...wow...

LEONARD
02-14-2007, 01:20 PM
To the media, there was only one Roller Derby, and from Jerry Seltzer's takeover in the late 50's the game reached new heights of popularity with a 120-station television network where taped games from the Bombers' home, Kezar Pavilion in San Francisco, were shown weekly. Television made fans of thousands and the Bombers packed arenas from coast to coast on cross country tours, regularly selling out arenas such as Madison Square Garden, Boston Garden, Kiel Auditorium in St. Louis and dozens more. The indoor record for Roller Derby was set at 19,507 at Madison Square Garden in 1970; it was broken by the outdoor record at the Oakland Coliseum a few months later at around 28,000 for a game between the Bombers and the Northeast Braves. The following year that record was topped again with 34,000 for a Bomber game at the Coliseum; their rival, the Midwest Pioneers, broke that record with 50,000 fans in 1972 for a game at Comiskey Park in Chicago. At this point, the Bombers home-team concept was duplicated with the New York Chiefs representing the Eastern U.S. and the Pioneers based in Chicago (but really everything west of Philadelphia).

So what decade did it "dominate"???? It was more popular than the NFL, MLB, etc?? Son of a bitch...I can't believe you're bring roller derby into this...seriously...

Your bit is TIRED...

MajorMike
02-14-2007, 01:21 PM
Hey, I didn't bring it back up. Lesson #1 grasshopper - if you don't want to revisit, don't bring back up. Fact remains, Derby was as popular back then as UFC is now.

LEONARD
02-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Fact remains, Derby was as popular back then as UFC is now.

How is it a fact?? Based on what??????????

And how can you even compare this era of TV to that era?? Ridiculous...

IX_Equilibrium
02-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't bet on UFC becoming very popular if I were you, either. Hard to take a chance on a fad.

Do you have any type of legitimate researching or forecasts to back up your claims? You are just talking shit. I know you have run out of even slightly legitimate points to make, which is why you have reverted to insults, but lets see some substance that would support your claim about something that will happen in the future.

Let me help you get started. I submitted a CNN article about the current state of MMA and where it was trending. Do you care to refute anything in that artice? Please do and cite your references.

Expanding upon that, show a legitimate source from which you take the basis of your so called knowledge about what will happen in the future.

And and please no more WWE ratings vs. MMA ratings. That's a total smokescreen. I could just as easily come up with Nascar vs. American Idol ratings. Who gives a fuck? It's irrelevant.

So please, dazzle us with some type of substance to your claims about what will happen in the future.

IX_Equilibrium
02-14-2007, 01:32 PM
How is it a fact?? Based on what??????????

And how can you even compare this era of TV to that era?? Ridiculous...

It's a fact in his own mind, that's good enough for him. Of course he won't be able to back it up, it's just his nature.

MajorMike
02-14-2007, 01:34 PM
Don't need to just hurts ya'll I can even give some semblance of creedance to it.

Maybe you will learn to stay out of my threads.

I feel another run of mocking every post in this forum coming on.

LEONARD
02-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Don't need to just hurts ya'll I can even give some semblance of creedance to it.

I feel another run of mocking every post in this forum coming on.

Nothing you've said "hurts" me :lol

You know NOTHING about MMA...you're spewing BS and you're just annoying really. I ignored your crap in MMA threads for a while...I guess I'll just go back to doing that, then you'll eventually quit if you get no response.

Instead of posting BS in the dozen or more MMA threads on the first page, why not reply in the one Daytona thread that got ZERO responses?? :lol

IX_Equilibrium
02-14-2007, 01:44 PM
That's what I thought. No substance whatsoever, just a bunch of hot air from a 13 yr old girl who states her uneducated opinion as fact. No surprise you can't back anything up.

HAHAHA!

What did anybody learn? That you are a douchebag. You opened this can of worms for yourself. If you don't anyone to troll Nascar, don't troll MMA!

MajorMike
02-14-2007, 01:53 PM
I have all the substance, you can't back anything up so you flame and whine and cry.

My points are all completely valid. You are just a wannabe. You can't even stick to one arguement.

You obviously are not any good at smack offs, because you certainly can't see the irony in what you say.

All you have is what you say.

I have facts showing NASCAR is bigger.

I have facts showing WWE is bigger.

I have timelines showing UFC would be wise to try to branch like NASCAR did.

You tell me to show you something, I give you facts and you stomp and scream and try to throw up a smoke screen.

You are both trolls of the worst kind, digging your silly little holes with no substance, and when you get backed in a corner you have to start hollering and screaming about how worse something else is because you have no grounds on which to defend yourself.

You haven't produced any fact to disprove anything that I've said, only to jump around and continue to act like fools.

Douche bag is 2 words, by the way.

LEONARD
02-14-2007, 02:06 PM
wow... :lol

IX_Equilibrium
02-14-2007, 02:07 PM
I have facts showing NASCAR is bigger.

I have facts showing WWE is bigger.

If you had half a brain, you would see that nobody was arguing those points. The argument was that those were irrelevant points made by you to try and cower from your prophetic statements of what was going to happen to MMA in the future. I asked you to back up your claim, to which of course you could not. I hope you aren't this dense in everyday life, but I don't see how that would be possible.

Douche bag is 2 words, by the way.

http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/page/douchebag-56720.jpg

DarkReign
02-14-2007, 02:34 PM
As far as spectators? Notice I said League. No other League in the world averages as many people per event as NASCAR. Perhaps the only 2 leagues in the world that could compare are the Premier League or the NFL, and neither come close, really. It is hard to compare when NASCAR draws crowds of 400k (Indy), 250k, 250k (Texas twice), 200k, 200k (Talledega twice), 200k, 200k (Daytona twice), 165k, 165k (Charlotte twice),160k, 160k (Bristol twice), 140k, 140k (LV twice), 100k, 100k (Cali twice), etc, etc. No way any league can compare to that. If you add in the fact that a NASCAR race is a whole weekend, and yes you buy tickets to every event, then those numbers go up astronomically. That is just at the races. A NY Times article lists NASCAR and the 2nd most-watched sport in America and the Daytona 500 as the 2nd most-watched sporting event behind the Super Bowl.

Ahhh, good point. You did say league. My bad.

MajorMike
02-14-2007, 04:05 PM
You good peep Dark.

T Park
02-15-2007, 02:52 PM
so are the fighting children done insulting NASCAR fans and bullshiting stupid ass stereotypes.

LEONARD
12-17-2008, 01:32 PM
Remember how big heavyweight boxing was around 10-15 years ago? Moral of the story is... enjoy the peak while you are on it.

2. If you think MMA has "peaked," then you just don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Hard to take a chance on a fad.

UFC Set to Post Record Year on Pay-per-view

http://mmapayout.com/2008/12/ufc-set-to-post-record-year-on-pay-per-view/

December 11, 2008

With the results in from ten of the UFC’s twelve pay-per-views, the company appears certain to post a record number of pay-per-view buys in 2008. The company’s current record year came in 2006 when it posted an estimated 5.2 million buys. With the returns from UFC 88 and UFC 92 outstanding, the company has already tallied 4,850,000 buys in 2008. In 2007, the company drew 4,885,000 buys.

In 2006 the company staged ten pay-per-view events, averaging 520,000 buys per event. In 2007 the company held eleven events which averaged 440,090 buys each. So far in 2008 the company is averaging 485,000 per event.

djohn14
12-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Leonard!!!!!!!!

dbreiden83080
12-17-2008, 02:00 PM
HE is alive......

Evan
12-17-2008, 02:09 PM
Leonard is a troll

ATRAIN
12-17-2008, 02:09 PM
Leonard is a troll

WTF!!!!

ATRAIN
12-17-2008, 02:10 PM
LEONARD is a EVAN troll......whoever said it.....holy shit you nailed it!!!

Evan
12-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Leonard is my mortal enemy

djohn14
12-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Evan...

DarkReign
12-17-2008, 04:00 PM
http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/images/lblackwell/2005/03/01/thread_necromancer.png

Its a joke peeps.

LEONARD
12-27-2008, 12:05 PM
CaptMike...

Evan
12-27-2008, 09:24 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=dm-ppvbuys121208&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

1. Boxing: Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao, Dec. 6, 1,250,000

2. UFC: Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Couture, Nov. 15, 1,010,000

3. Wrestling: WrestleMania, Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Paul "Big Show" Wight, March 30, 670,000

4. UFC: Georges St. Pierre vs. Jon Fitch/Lesnar vs. Heath Herring, Aug. 9, 625,000

5. UFC: Lesnar vs. Frank Mir, Feb. 2, 600,000

6. UFC: Quinton Jackson vs. Forrest Griffin, July 5, 540,000

7. UFC: St. Pierre vs. Matt Serra, April 19, 530,000

8. Boxing: Felix Trinidad vs. Roy Jones Jr., Jan. 19, 500,000

9. UFC: Chuck Liddell vs. Rashad Evans, Sept. 6, 480,000

10. UFC: B.J. Penn vs. Sean Sherk/Tito Ortiz vs. Lyoto Machida, May 24, 475,000

UFC 92 which is tonight will likely sit around 7.

Biernutz
12-28-2008, 06:07 PM
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb270/systime/time%202/stupid-1.jpg

LEONARD
01-09-2009, 09:38 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3818684&campaign=rss&source=MagBlogDaily

Dana White...

"I don't want to get into numbers too much—that's our policy. But it crushed it. I'll say this: The Christmas show crushed the Lesnar fight by 150,000-175,000 buys."

----------

If this is true, and Lesnar/Couture did 1.01 million buys, this means UFC 92 broke the all-time record set by Tito Ortiz and Chuck Liddell at UFC 66.

After the "peak" in '06, I figure the UFC will be shutting down any day now... :lol

tonylongoriafan
01-09-2009, 09:55 AM
this is like the mini quattro thread

dbreiden83080
01-09-2009, 09:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3818684&campaign=rss&source=MagBlogDaily

Dana White...

"I don't want to get into numbers too much—that's our policy. But it crushed it. I'll say this: The Christmas show crushed the Lesnar fight by 150,000-175,000 buys."

----------

If this is true, and Lesnar/Couture did 1.01 million buys, this means UFC 92 broke the all-time record set by Tito Ortiz and Chuck Liddell at UFC 66.

After the "peak" in '06, I figure the UFC will be shutting down any day now... :lol

It's amazing how far MMA has come. Manny and Oscar was the biggest draw Boxing put on in 2008 and it only beat UFC 91 by a little bit. UFC 92 did better than UFC 91 and UFC 94 Penn and St. Pierre may come close to a million buys also.. Boxing is basically dead. Just not enough stars left to keep the ball rolling..

Biernutz
01-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Gillett Evernham Motorsports and Petty Holdings have agreed to form a new racing organization that will field three full-time Sprint Cup cars and one part-time entry in 2009.

Neither the name of the team nor the driver lineup was announced. The team will be co-owned by Richard Petty, the Boston Ventures-controlled Petty Holdings and GEM (which is co-owned by the Gillett family and Ray Evernham), according to a news release from GEM.

“I want to get back to winning and together we will bring the resources, technology and infrastructure to do that,” Petty said in a statement. “This was a big decision for us but it’s something we really wanted to do.

“We hope everyone in the sport embraces what [GEM co-owner] George [Gillett] and I are doing. Nothing is going to change for me. I’m going to be at the track every weekend and really involved with the teams and drivers back at the shop. We are very happy. George and I have a lot of work to do, but we have a plan and we’ll be ready for Daytona.”

Founded by Lee Petty in 1949, Petty Enterprises has 268 NASCAR Cup wins and 10 driver championships, three by Lee and seven by his son, Richard. Kyle Petty drove for the team from 1979-1984 and then returned to the Petty banner in 1997.

In June, Richard Petty announced that he had sold a majority interest of the team to investment group Boston Ventures, but also said he would have to give his approval for any sale of the team.

“A lot has changed over the years in NASCAR but success still boils down to that cat holding the steering wheel and how he conducts himself both in and out of the car,” said Petty. “I really want to help these guys with their driving and their careers.”

By merging with Petty, GEM adds a car that is locked into the first five races of 2009 by virtue of finishing in the top 35 in 2008 owners points.

Last season, the No. 9 GEM team was 15th in owner points while the Petty No. 43 team was 22nd. The No. 19 GEM team was 24th, the No. 10 GEM team was 37th and the No. 45 Petty team was 41st.

“To join with Richard Petty and Petty Holdings is such an honor for me and my family,” said George Gillett, whose business interests also include ownership in the Montreal Canadiens hockey team and the English Premier League’s Liverpool FC soccer team.

“Richard and I have gotten to know each other well over the last few years and both of us believe we have formed something that NASCAR fans will support. We plan to keep the Petty name in the forefront of NASCAR. We ask that all of the King’s fans join with us. Our goal is to get the cowboy hat and sunglasses back in victory lane.”

The release did not mention a driver lineup except for GEM driver Kasey Kahne. The part-time fourth car will compete in at least eight races, including the Budweiser Shootout.

“I’ve gotten to know Richard over my five years working with Dodge and I look forward to being around him more,” said Kahne, who had two wins in 2008 while barely missing the NASCAR Chase For The Sprint Cup. “This is pretty awesome. The Gilletts have done a fantastic job of putting this together.

“I think you can see their commitment to winning. We could have kept on the same path, but they made a pretty bold statement that they are here to win.”

The team must still announce drivers for its other three cars, and could face a lawsuit over its driver stable. Elliott Sadler, who reportedly has been dropped in favor of AJ Allmendinger for the No. 19 car, has filed a notice with North Carolina Superior Court in Statesville, N.C., that claims that GEM breached its contract with Sadler.
Reed Sorenson is expected to fill one of the full-time slots as he has signed to drive for GEM and probably would land in the No. 43 car. With Bobby Labonte announcing his departure from Petty Enterprises last month, Petty has only driver Chad McCumbee under contract. His status remained unclear.
The deal is expected to be finalized by the end of January.

This was not the first time that the Gillett family has been in discussions with Petty Enterprises. Richard Petty has said that he was 50 percent along in negotiations to partner with Gillett in 2007, but that deal fell through when GEM wanted 80 percent ownership in the Petty organization.

“We are excited about this transaction and believe it will continue to keep the Petty name at the forefront of motorsports for decades to come,” said Barry Baker, chairman of Petty Holdings, which will continue to operate the Richard Petty Driving Experience.

Petty executive vice president of racing operations Robbie Loomis, longtime employee and former crew chief Dale Inman and vice president of marketing Brian Moffitt will have active roles in the new organization.

The teams will work out of the GEM shops in Statesville, N.C.

http://www.scenedaily.com/news/articles/sprintcupseries/Richard_Petty_agrees_to_team_with_Gillett_Evernham _Motorsports_.html