PDA

View Full Version : Non-Crawford Observations

timvp
04-15-2007, 08:08 PM
-Props to Pop for staying bigger than normal versus the Mavs. And not surprising, the Spurs outrebounded the Mavs for the first time in 14 games. It's about time that Pop realized you can't beat the Mavs small. Hopefully if the Spurs and Mavs meet again this year, Pop keeps this strategy going.

-While Duncan was in the game, I thought he played rather well. He missed some shots he usually hits, but overall he was good. He even had some possessions on Dirk defensively and he moved his feet well. He was in line for a big fourth quarter.

-Parker and Ginobili have to play smarter for the Spurs to advance far in the playoffs. Parker getting the 8-second violation and a couple other careless turnovers didn't exactly help matters. And Manu forcing it at the end of games has been a problem for a while now. When he gets trapped, he has to pass it. He can't try to be Supermanu and win it himself ... or these Artest-like situations will keep happening. Both Tony and Manu are average at best when it comes to basketball IQ, which is a problem the Spurs will have to overcome in the postseason.

-The Spurs need a little more out of Bowen and Finley. I thought both could have been a little better defensively and offensively they could perhaps be a tad bit more aggressive. However, AJ plays the Spurs in a way that he doesn't let outside shooters beat them. That's why Parker and Manu have to put it on their shoulders to score in isolation scenarios.

-Barry sucked. The Mavs own him.

-Jacque Vaughn turned out not to be the Devin Harris stopper we all hoped. In fact, Harris abused Vaughn. He's just too quick for Vaughn. The Spurs' only chance against Harris is Parker.

-Elson was decent. Not good, not bad but overall decent. He has to stay out of foul trouble and not go for Dirk's fakes. Just keep a hand up and make Dirk beat you with midrange jumpers. He did a better job of that as the game went on.

-Oberto played very well. He had Olympic style energy and was playing unafraid. He might be a surprise X-Factor for the Spurs in the playoffs. He knows how to win big games and has a history of doing so.

-Horry was decent. I liked the fact that Pop put him on Dirk. That's a matchup that the Spurs can survive with. The best news regarding Horry is he looked pretty healthy and athletic out there.

-Pop coached a pretty good game overall. With Duncan out, it put Parker and Manu in situations they aren't accustomed to. Pop might have looked at doing something else other than isolating one of them, but I can understand wanting to win or lose with your all-star backcourt with Tim gone. However, I do think Pop should have stood up for Duncan more. If Duncan is going to get tossed for something that outrageous, Pop should have been on the next whistle out of town. At that point, Pop should have let everyone know he supports Duncan 100% and you can't do such BS actions and think the coach will let it slide.

Bottomline, Spurs played decent until the game was decided in the third quarter. Parker and Manu were pretty poor down the stretch, but put in a situation without Duncan and having no outside shooter with any kind of momentum, it's understandable to happen in a halfway important regular season game.

The key for the Spurs is to forget the score of the game and move on. Let it be some sort of rallying cry and get them ready for the playoffs. The worst thing that could happen is if they let this hurt them mentally.

Forget it, F the NBA and move on.

San Antonio de Bexar versus the World.

:smokin

VinnyTestesVerde
04-15-2007, 08:10 PM
well said man...nice stats work

VaSpursFan
04-15-2007, 08:16 PM
your insight about pop backing duncan is spot on. pop should have stood firmly behind duncan to say to the league that the questionable referreing has to stop.

SenorSpur
04-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Superb analysis.

td4mvp21
04-15-2007, 08:19 PM
Excellent post, I agree with every bit of it. There were a lot of positives from this game. I really hope the Spurs meet the Mavs in the playoffs again this year.

usckk
04-15-2007, 08:22 PM
Yeah, buddy! GO SPURS GO! BELIEVE! LET'S GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guru of Nothing
04-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Both teams played hard.

Bruno
04-15-2007, 08:27 PM
-Jacque Vaughn turned out not to be the Devin Harris stopper we all hoped. In fact, Harris abused Vaughn. He's just too quick for Vaughn. The Spurs' only chance against Harris is Parker.

Vaughn twisted his ankle last game, maybe it was hurting his mobility. I will wait to see Vaughn at 100% against Harris before saying that he can't defend him.

T Park
04-15-2007, 08:29 PM
Eh one game doesn't mean He can't do it.

Besides, I always though Vaughn would've guarded Terry anyways.

aaronstampler
04-15-2007, 08:33 PM
Both Tony and Manu are average at best when it comes to basketball IQ, which is a problem the Spurs will have to overcome in the postseason<<

The rest of your analysis was good, but I disagree with this statement tremendously. I think basketball IQ is among Manu and Tony's biggest strengths on the court.

Tony knows how to get to his spots on the floor to maximize his jump shot, he knows how to work the pick and roll with Tim, he rotates well on defense and he has an innate sense of getting his lay-ups off in traffic and releasing it at the right angle and with perfect spin. He doesn't have the most talent or explosiveness of any small in the league, but he's the best at scoring inside because he knows how to set up defenders and how to maximize his strengths.

Manu has excellent court sense I think and is usually quite good at finding the open man and getting guys great looks, especially big men rolling to the basket. On defense he hides his physical limitations as best as he can, plays the percentages well and generally (except for one notable exception) takes smart gambles. He knows how to draw fouls on both ends of the floor and is good at figuring out the weaknesses in other people's games.

Neither one is hardly the best athlete at their positions, but they get the maximum they can out of their skill because they understand the game very well (I think Manu's experience in Italy and with the Argentine national team and Parker's schooling in France's basketball academy has a lot to do with it) and both are getting smarter every year.

SPURS21
04-15-2007, 08:35 PM
We coulda had this game but the last 30 seconds we executed like a HS club

Bad foul by Ginobilli when they had one to give
Bad foul by Elson? with 10.6 left
Terrible forced shot by Barry with 4 seconds left

T Park
04-15-2007, 08:35 PM
:lol

SPURS21
04-15-2007, 08:41 PM
TPark care to elaborate?

T Park
04-15-2007, 08:42 PM
:lol

on what?

Timvp pretty much had it covered.

Although Elson's foul was intentional, don't know why you have that as stupid.

timvp
04-15-2007, 08:43 PM
The rest of your analysis was good, but I disagree with this statement tremendously. I think basketball IQ is among Manu and Tony's biggest strengths on the court.

Tony knows how to get to his spots on the floor to maximize his jump shot, he knows how to work the pick and roll with Tim, he rotates well on defense and he has an innate sense of getting his lay-ups off in traffic and releasing it at the right angle and with perfect spin. He doesn't have the most talent or explosiveness of any small in the league, but he's the best at scoring inside because he knows how to set up defenders and how to maximize his strengths.

There is a difference between basketball smarts and basketball instincts. Parker has great instincts, is amazingly fast, learns quickly and follows directions well. Those are his strengths.

He's not a guy who beats you with like Magic Johnson or even Robert Horry level basketball smarts.

Manu has excellent court sense I think and is usually quite good at finding the open man and getting guys great looks, especially big men rolling to the basket. On defense he hides his physical limitations as best as he can, plays the percentages well and generally (except for one notable exception) takes smart gambles. He knows how to draw fouls on both ends of the floor and is good at figuring out the weaknesses in other people's games.

Again, you are talking mostly about instincts. Manu has stellar instincts, he's tough as nails, is unafraid of everything and has an amazing will to win. His pure basketball IQ, though, is average at best.

For example not passing out of a trap when it's obvious what the Mavs would do, or fouling Dirk at the basket when you are up three or fouling the Mavs today when the Spurs had a 5 second differential and should have just played for the stop. Those are mental mistakes that a Magic, Bird or Horry would never make.

Neither one is hardly the best athlete at their positions, but they get the maximum they can out of their skill because they understand the game very well (I think Manu's experience in Italy and with the Argentine national team and Parker's schooling in France's basketball academy has a lot to do with it) and both are getting smarter every year.

Again, both are great players and I'm glad they are on the team. But neither one will win a playoff series with basketball IQ.

aaronstampler
04-15-2007, 08:55 PM
I don't know. There are plenty of guys who are in this league strictly because of their bodies and athletiicism who have no idea how to play team basketball. Nazr, Kwame Brown, and to a lesser extent Francisco are all examples of this.

Neither Tony or Manu could be the players they are just on their athleticism. They both understand how to play. Maybe not at a genius level like Duncan or Bird, but far above the average player.

tlongII
04-15-2007, 09:00 PM
I thought timvp was a proponent of "smallball" for the Spurs? Hasn't he defended Pop's strategy against the Mavs in the past? I don't get it...

SPURS21
04-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Aside from the fact that I dont agree with their strategy especially for a team that prides themselves on defense... I dont think they were consistent with the strategy they choose to end the game with. If you decide to take the foul to give right away it should be because you want to send them to the line a.s.a.p.
Instead they take the foul, stop the clock, let Dallas set up their offense than Elson fouls on the baseline after Dallas burns 12+ seconds of the clock. Either you foul right away and send them to the line with as much time left as possible, or you put some faith in your defense from the start, get a stop and have a chance to win the game. Instead the Spurs choose to sit on the fence

And common Barry's running away from the baset, hail marry with 4 seconds left was the best shot they could get???

Kori Ellis
04-15-2007, 09:10 PM
I thought timvp was a proponent of "smallball" for the Spurs? Hasn't he defended Pop's strategy against the Mavs in the past? I don't get it...

timvp has been bitching about small ball since last playoffs :wtf

tlongII
04-15-2007, 09:23 PM
timvp has been bitching about small ball since last playoffs :wtf

Really? I have only read posts of him extolling the virtues of The Great Popovich.

SPURS21
04-15-2007, 09:25 PM
are there any proponents of small ball???

1Parker1
Really? I have only read posts of him extolling the virtues of The Great Popovich.

I don't think any Spurs fan on this forum likes small ball....

ChumpDumper
Nah, he thinks like any rational baketball observer that we don't have the right players for extensive small ball.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-15-2007, 09:28 PM
We looked drastically different having Elson in there for 33 minutes tonight than we did when we only ran him six minutes in the loss at the SBC Center earlier this year.

Glad Pop seems to have possibly gotten a clue on the suckage that is small ball. It's refreshing to look at a box score and see us with more boards than the Mavs for once.

Also, Pop, never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever trot out a line up of Parker, Manu, Bowen, Elson, and Oberto again.

Because teams will do what the Mavs did tonight - pack all five guys into the lane and dare us to beat them from outside. It's substitutional suicide.

timvp
04-15-2007, 09:31 PM

timvp has been against small ball since Pop started tinkering with it in 2004. In fact, you can go back to 2000 when I was against Pop pulling David because of "mismatches".

SPURS21
04-15-2007, 09:51 PM
Yes I think we all agree EFF smallball!

Let's just hope that CIA POP wasn't in action today and throwing the Dallas coaching staff off was not the only reason he stayed with 2 bigs at all times.

aaronstampler
04-15-2007, 10:18 PM
Yes I think we all agree EFF smallball!

Let's just hope that CIA POP wasn't in action today and throwing the Dallas coaching staff off was not the only reason he stayed with 2 bigs at all times.

He didn't stay with it at all times. He only played big for 6 minutes in the 4th quarter and abandoned it the last three minutes of a tie game, just like he did in the third game against these guys last January, with similar results.

SPARKY
04-16-2007, 12:16 AM
Not sure what to make of Elson. The spirit was willing but the flesh just had a quintuple espresso shot? Seemed very active, but somewhat, well, nervous.

timvp
04-16-2007, 02:28 AM
+/- leaders tonight:
Horry +6
Duncan +5
Parker +4
Manu +1

That's a pretty good sign because that's four of the five players I want on the court at the end of the game versus the Mavs.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-16-2007, 02:31 AM
I don't mean to be sour grapes, but considering Dampier was out of the game (easily their best rebounder, if not second best I believe) I would be interested to see us outrebounding the Mavs with Damp in the game.

But still, I just hope Pop sees the Rebs stats and decides to stick with playing Big a little bit longer

aaronstampler
04-16-2007, 02:31 AM
+/- leaders tonight:
Horry +6
Duncan +5
Parker +4
Manu +1

That's a pretty good sign because that's four of the five players I want on the court at the end of the game versus the Mavs.

Some games Horry has it and some games he doesn't. I'm thinking in most cases the 5th would be Bowen. As long as we're playing with two bigs, that's fine. If we're small though, I'd prefer to go with Brent and Fin.

gilmor
04-16-2007, 03:44 AM
As usual, TIMVP's comments is one of the few other things worth reading in this forum.. I think alike.. I don't think Pop is that hung up over this loss..

JPB
04-16-2007, 04:36 AM
I think despite the loss, the game showed that if yo have to put one team slightly ahead of the other, it would be the Spurs. They controlled the game pretty well (on the road) before TD's ejection and Dallas looked hesitant at times.

Elson really challenged Dirk, particulary by choosing to let him some space on his left and blocking his right. Dirk looked uncomfortable 2 or 3 times and missed the lay-up.
Elson is the major difference with last year. It'll be interesting if they face in PO to see if Dirk can adjust.

Spurs didn't executed very well at the end, It was basically one on one. But I think it's partly because Pop didn't want to show the plays he could use in PO.
And also because it was a half-important half not so important game so I think players
really had the appropritate focus and intensity.

Vaughn indeed didn't looked able to defend Harris. Because of the injury ? I hope.
Tony on the contrary, looked very active on defense. He' starting to have some defense attitudes that I havent' seenfrom him before, like really sticking to his man while he's following him, like bigger men do.

PS: I'm not the one who usually blame the refs but someone tells them they're not supposed to be star of the show. the less you see them, the less you talk about them the better they did their job. they're supposed to serve the game, not appropriate it.

JC should pay yesterday's attendance back for having stolen them a good ballgame.
NBC musn't be very happy either.

ginobili fan
04-16-2007, 05:12 AM
Both Tony and Manu are average at best when it comes to basketball IQ, which is a problem the Spurs will have to overcome in the postseason<<

+1 :clap

JPB
04-16-2007, 07:21 AM
Little correction :

I think despite the loss, the game showed that if yo have to put one team slightly ahead of the other, it would be the Spurs. They controlled the game pretty well (on the road) before TD's ejection and Dallas looked hesitant at times.

Elson really challenged Dirk, particulary by choosing to let him some space on his left and blocking his right. Dirk looked uncomfortable 2 or 3 times and missed the lay-up.
Elson is the major difference with last year. It'll be interesting if they face in PO to see if Dirk can adjust.

Spurs didn't executed very well at the end, It was basically one on one. But I think it's partly because Pop didn't want to show the plays he could use in PO.
And also because it was a half-important half not so important game so I think players
really hadn't the appropritate focus and intensity.

Vaughn indeed didn't looked able to defend Harris. Because of the injury ? I hope.
Tony on the contrary, looked very active on defense. He' starting to have some defense attitudes that I havent' seenfrom him before, like really sticking to his man while he's following him, like bigger men do.

PS: I'm not the one who usually blame the refs but someone tells them they're not supposed to be star of the show. the less you see them, the less you talk about them the better they did their job. they're supposed to serve the game, not appropriate it.

JC should pay yesterday's attendance back for having stolen them a good ballgame.
NBC musn't be very happy either.

Tbiggums
04-16-2007, 07:48 AM
-Props to Pop for staying bigger than normal versus the Mavs. And not surprising, the Spurs outrebounded the Mavs for the first time in 14 games. It's about time that Pop realized you can't beat the Mavs small. Hopefully if the Spurs and Mavs meet again this year, Pop keeps this strategy going.

-While Duncan was in the game, I thought he played rather well. He missed some shots he usually hits, but overall he was good. He even had some possessions on Dirk defensively and he moved his feet well. He was in line for a big fourth quarter.

-Parker and Ginobili have to play smarter for the Spurs to advance far in the playoffs. Parker getting the 8-second violation and a couple other careless turnovers didn't exactly help matters. And Manu forcing it at the end of games has been a problem for a while now. When he gets trapped, he has to pass it. He can't try to be Supermanu and win it himself ... or these Artest-like situations will keep happening. Both Tony and Manu are average at best when it comes to basketball IQ, which is a problem the Spurs will have to overcome in the postseason.

-The Spurs need a little more out of Bowen and Finley. I thought both could have been a little better defensively and offensively they could perhaps be a tad bit more aggressive. However, AJ plays the Spurs in a way that he doesn't let outside shooters beat them. That's why Parker and Manu have to put it on their shoulders to score in isolation scenarios.

-Elson was decent. Not good, not bad but overall decent. He has to stay out of foul trouble and not go for Dirk's fakes. Just keep a hand up and make Dirk beat you with midrange jumpers. He did a better job of that as the game went on.

-Oberto played very well. He had Olympic style energy and was playing unafraid. He might be a surprise X-Factor for the Spurs in the playoffs. He knows how to win big games and has a history of doing so.

-Horry was decent. I liked the fact that Pop put him on Dirk. That's a matchup that the Spurs can survive with. The best news regarding Horry is he looked pretty healthy and athletic out there.

-Pop coached a pretty good game overall. With Duncan out, it put Parker and Manu in situations they aren't accustomed to. Pop might have looked at doing something else other than isolating one of them, but I can understand wanting to win or lose with your all-star backcourt with Tim gone. However, I do think Pop should have stood up for Duncan more. If Duncan is going to get tossed for something that outrageous, Pop should have been on the next whistle out of town. At that point, Pop should have let everyone know he supports Duncan 100% and you can't do such BS actions and think the coach will let it slide.

Bottomline, Spurs played decent until the game was decided in the third quarter. Parker and Manu were pretty poor down the stretch, but put in a situation without Duncan and having no outside shooter with any kind of momentum, it's understandable to happen in a halfway important regular season game.

The key for the Spurs is to forget the score of the game and move on. Let it be some sort of rallying cry and get them ready for the playoffs. The worst thing that could happen is if they let this hurt them mentally.

Good Stuff! I certainly felt the Spurs were on their way to winning Sunday until Duncan was tossed. I simply wanted to see if the Spurs had finally matured enough to impose their will on The Mavs. I saw signs of that through 3 quarters Sunday. I believe Pop has the mavs where he wants them.

Southwest Texas Fan
04-16-2007, 09:10 AM

You its funny when Duncan did get tossed I turned over to my wife and said POP is next, but it didn’t happen and it should have.

Southwest Texas Fan
04-16-2007, 09:21 AM
+/- leaders tonight:
Horry +6
Duncan +5
Parker +4
Manu +1

Could you explain what those pluses and minuses mean.

FromWayDowntown
04-16-2007, 10:14 AM
Further proof that Pop may have come around to sticking with TallBall against Dallas. From the opening tip until the 2:21 mark of the 3rd quarter (the point at which Duncan was substituted out after his offensive foul), Pop had some combination of 2 of Duncan, Elson, Horry, and Oberto in the game. From the 2:21 mark of the 3rd through the 8:40 mark of the 4th, Pop played small ball. At the 8:40 mark of the 4th, Pop went back to Tall Ball until the 2:52 mark of the 4th.

For what it's worth, from the 2:52 mark to the end of the game, the Spurs were -7.

Overall, here's how the +/- as a unit look for yesterday's game:

Tall Ball for a total of 39:27 -- Spurs +4
Small Ball for a total of 8:33 -- Spurs -7

DarrinS
04-16-2007, 10:20 AM
Does anybody know why Bonner didn't play at all? We needed some energy out there in the 4th.

MoSpur
04-16-2007, 10:32 AM
I was wanting to see Bonner too. The Spurs needed a spark. He may have been able to give it to them

mabber
04-16-2007, 10:40 AM

Nice analysis!

Two notes...

(1) Oberto seems to play well vs. the Mavs.

(2) Not much should be read into the Spurs rebounding advantage since Damp was out.

TMTTRIO
04-16-2007, 11:01 AM
I also think that we need to stop relying so much on Manu in the 4th quarter to be the game saver. I noticed lately teams are starting to do a really good job of shutting him down and making him turn the ball over in the last few seconds or minutes. That turnover last night reminded me of the playoffs last year :depressed :depressed . Let's just hope he's playing well by playoffs.

timvp
04-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Further proof that Pop may have come around to sticking with TallBall against Dallas. From the opening tip until the 2:21 mark of the 3rd quarter (the point at which Duncan was substituted out after his offensive foul), Pop had some combination of 2 of Duncan, Elson, Horry, and Oberto in the game. From the 2:21 mark of the 3rd through the 8:40 mark of the 4th, Pop played small ball. At the 8:40 mark of the 4th, Pop went back to Tall Ball until the 2:52 mark of the 4th.

For what it's worth, from the 2:52 mark to the end of the game, the Spurs were -7.

Overall, here's how the +/- as a unit look for yesterday's game:

Tall Ball for a total of 39:27 -- Spurs +4
Small Ball for a total of 8:33 -- Spurs -7

Yeah, that's why I don't understand the cries that Pop went to small ball too much. He was playing the Mavs how we all hoped he would until Crawford got his feelings hurt.

After that happened and Parker and Manu could score because the lane was too clogged up, small ball actually made sense. With Elson throwing up air balls and Oberto not even looking to shoot his jumper, the Mavs had no reason not to send double and triple teams at the Spurs' guards.