PDA

View Full Version : SUNS vs. SPURS… 2005 All Over Again?

Kent_in_Atlanta
05-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Two years ago at this time, the Spurs were celebrating their fourth straight win over George Karl’s Nuggets, after dropping the first game of the series at home to a team widely considered the hottest bunch in the West entering the playoffs. The circumstances surrounding this year’s first round matchup for the Spurs were eerily similar… almost indistinguishable from 2005. And the results were exactly the same.

Now, as was the case two years earlier, the road to the Finals winds through Phoenix. The only difference: no Seattle sandwich. But the similarities aren’t confined to the playoff bracket. The fact is, these teams aren’t all that different from the Phoenix and San Antonio squads that met 2 seasons earlier in the Conference Finals. Sure there are differences. But less has changed than has remained the same.

The Phoenix Suns feature a controlled-chaotic offense, led by Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire, and Shawn Marion… just as they did in 2005.

Two years ago, Joe Johnson and Quentin Richardson were the Suns’ best ballers not named Nash, Marion, or Stoudemire. This year, it’s Barbosa and Bell. But if you compare the production of the Johnson/Richardson combination in 2005 to Barbosa/Bell this year, you’ll find virtually identical numbers.

Speaking of virtually identical numbers…

In 2005, Phoenix scored 110.4 points a game, while their opponents scored 103.3 per contest. They went 62-20 that year with a 7.1 point differential.

This year, Phoenix scored 110.2 per game. Their opponents: 102.9 per game. Phoenix’s 2007 record was 61-21 with a 7.3 differential.

Hmmm…

Having chronicled the similarities, I should point out that the Suns have a slightly better assortment of role players than they did a couple years back, and they are certainly a more experienced team this time around. While they are largely the same team as they were in 2005, these improvements will help them avoid another short series with San Antonio.

The Spurs have also recast many of their supporting roles, while continuing to spin on the same Tim/Tony/Manu axis they have for years now. And they certainly haven’t altered their defense-first basketball theology.

I do believe the Spurs are a little better offensive team than they were 2 seasons ago with the addition of Michael Finley, and Brent Barry finally earning his paycheck when he's on the floor. I also feel they match up a little better against a team like Phoenix, now that they have a more mobile front line. But like the Suns, this basketball team hasn’t made any structural changes within the last 2 years. The core of this Spurs team remains the same.

In 2004-2005, the Spurs scored 96.2 points per game, while holding their opponents to 88.4 per contest. They went 59-23, with a 7.8 point differential.

This year, the Spurs scored 98.5 points per game, while limiting opponents to 90.1 ppg. They went 58-24 this season with an 8.4 point differential.

Opponents scoring was up 1.7 ppg from 2005, but that should be attributed to early-season defensive underachievement, which the Spurs later rectified to once again finished tops in opponents ppg and opponents FG%.

BOTTOM LINE:

As was the case 2 years ago, an up-tempo game doesn’t bother the Spurs at all, but they will try to slow it down because while the Spurs can play at any speed, Phoenix is NOT comfortable playing grind-out basketball. The Spurs are far better equipped to handle a frantic pace than the Suns are equipped to play a half-court game.

One of San Antonio’s greatest advantages will be their ability to push Phoenix outside their comfort zone. That is something Phoenix can’t do to San Antonio, because the Spurs aren’t at all uncomfortable in an up-tempo game… as they’ve proven numerous times in recent years, including their near sweep of the Suns two seasons ago.

Really folks, these teams aren’t all that different from what they were the last time they met in the post-season… and I don’t expect a drastically different result.

Spurs in 6.

jman3000
05-04-2007, 11:25 AM
i agree with your spurs in 6 assessment... should be very close though.

and once again... even though stern tried his damndest to stop this from happening again. possibly the best series in the playoffs is going to be in the WCSF once again.

(aside from the Mavs/GS series... because in all honesty no matter what happens that will be the one most talked about)

Kent_in_Atlanta
05-04-2007, 11:28 AM
i agree with your spurs in 6 assessment... should be very close though.

and once again... even though stern tried his damndest to stop this from happening again. possibly the best series in the playoffs is going to be in the WCSF once again.

(aside from the Mavs/GS series... because in all honesty no matter what happens that will be the one most talked about)

Yeah... how could it NOT be the most talked about? I would have paid real money to sit close to Mark Cuban when it became apparent to him that the Mavs were about to be eliminated by the 8-seed. REAL MoNEY! I would have treasured the look on his face the rest of my days. :lol

Suns>Spurs
05-04-2007, 11:28 AM
7 game series in my opinion but it should be fun to watch.

mabber
05-04-2007, 11:32 AM
Two years ago at this time, the Spurs were celebrating their fourth straight win over George Karl’s Nuggets, after dropping the first game of the series at home to a team widely considered the hottest bunch in the West entering the playoffs. The circumstances surrounding this year’s first round matchup for the Spurs were eerily similar… almost indistinguishable from 2005. And the results were exactly the same.

Now, as was the case two years earlier, the road to the Finals winds through Phoenix. The only difference: no Seattle sandwich. But the similarities aren’t confined to the playoff bracket. The fact is, these teams aren’t all that different from the Phoenix and San Antonio squads that met 2 seasons earlier in the Conference Finals. Sure there are differences. But less has changed than has remained the same.

The Phoenix Suns feature a controlled-chaotic offense, led by Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire, and Shawn Marion… just as they did in 2005.

Two years ago, Joe Smith and Quentin Richardson were the Suns’ best ballers not named Nash, Marion, or Stoudemire. This year, it’s Barbosa and Bell. But if you compare the production of the Smith/Richardson combination in 2005 to Barbosa/Bell this year, you’ll find virtually identical numbers.

In 2005, Phoenix scored 110.4 points a game, while their opponents scored 103.3 per contest. They went 62-20 that year with a 7.1 point differential.

This year, Phoenix scored 110.2 per game. Their opponents: 102.9 per game. Phoenix’s 2007 record was 61-21 with a 7.3 differential.

Hmmm…

The Spurs have also recast many of their supporting roles, while continuing to spin on the same Tim/Tony/Manu axis they have for years now. And they certainly haven’t altered their defense-first basketball theology.

I do believe the Spurs are a little better offensive team than they were 2 seasons ago with the addition of Michael Finley, and Brent Barry finally earning his paycheck when he's on the floor. I also feel they match up a little better against a team like Phoenix, now that they have a more mobile front line. But like the Suns, this basketball team hasn’t made any structural changes within the last 2 years. The core of this Spurs team remains the same.

In 2004-2005, the Spurs scored 96.2 points per game, while holding their opponents to 88.4 per contest. They went 59-23, with a 7.8 point differential.

This year, the Spurs scored 98.5 points per game, while limiting opponents to 90.1 ppg. They went 58-24 this season with an 8.4 point differential.

Opponents scoring was up 1.7 ppg from 2005, but that should be attributed to early-season defensive underachievement, which the Spurs later rectified to once again finished tops in opponents ppg and opponents FG%.

BOTTOM LINE:

As was the case 2 years ago, an up-tempo game doesn’t bother the Spurs at all, but they will try to slow it down because while the Spurs can play at any speed, Phoenix is NOT comfortable playing grind-out basketball. The Spurs are far better equipped to handle a frantic pace than the Suns are equipped to play a half-court game.

One of San Antonio’s greatest advantages will be their ability to push Phoenix outside their comfort zone. That is something Phoenix can’t do to San Antonio, because the Spurs aren’t at all uncomfortable in an up-tempo game… as they’ve proven numerous times in recent years, including their near sweep of the Suns two seasons ago.

Really folks, these teams aren’t all that different from what they were the last time they met in the post-season… and I don’t expect a drastically different result.

Spurs in 6.

Good analysis. I agree with it and my head says the Spurs in 6 (maybe 7)... but there's something about this Sun's team that seems different to me but I just can't put my finger on it yet. So my gut says Suns in 7. I'm sure I'll have a different opinion after I see how the Spurs adjust after game 1. D'Antoni doesn't make adjustments so we all know what they're bringing.

SAGambler
05-04-2007, 11:36 AM

Two years ago, Joe Smith and Quentin Richardson were the Suns’ best ballers not named Nash, Marion, or Stoudemire. This year, it’s Barbosa and Bell. But if you compare the production of the Smith/Richardson combination in 2005 to Barbosa/Bell this year, you’ll find virtually identical numbers.

Hmmm…

BOTTOM LINE:

Spurs in 6.

Pretty much the way I see it also.

Suns fans keep saying they are a different ballclub now, but numbers don't lie. They are basically the same, as are the Spurs...

I think Spurs finish em off in 6 too.

Spursfan101
05-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Spurs in 5

dreamcastrocks
05-04-2007, 11:49 AM

Uh, his name is Joe Johnson, and not Joe Smith. Joe Johnson, and his eye socket was a huge factor in the series. Bell is not one of the best ball handlers, not even close. Hell Amare is a better ball handler than Bell. The best ball handlers are Nash, Diaw, and Barbosa in that order.

Hmmm…

Pretty consistent, I'll give you that one.

Until the last game, Finley wasn't a factor in the series. I do however agree with you that the Spurs match up very well against the Suns.

BOTTOM LINE:

I would agree with you, but the Suns are much better in the half court set than they were two years ago.

Agreed with the comfort zone. You guys need to remember this. As close as you were to sweeping the Suns, we had 4th Quarter leads in all but one of those games. The Suns had no idea how to put games away that year, and if they did, it would have been a much closer series.

Spurs in 6.

These teams are a lot different, in that they are more experienced. Do I think that the Suns will win this series, probably not. I wouldn't look at the 2005 series for what to expect though.

Kent_in_Atlanta
05-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Good analysis. I agree with it and my head says the Spurs in 6 (maybe 7)... but there's something about this Sun's team that seems different to me but I just can't put my finger on it yet. So my gut says Suns in 7. I'm sure I'll have a different opinion after I see how the Spurs adjust after game 1. D'Antoni doesn't make adjustments so we all know what they're bringing.

I know what you mean. I had that same gut feeling in 2005. Seriously, I did.

Kent_in_Atlanta
05-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Uh, his name is Joe Johnson, and not Joe Smith.

Right you are. Thanks for catching that. I'll change it.

LilMissSPURfect
05-04-2007, 12:01 PM
Until the last game, Finley wasn't a factor in the series. I do however agree with you that the Spurs match up very well against the Suns.

yoooooooooou haaaaaaveeeeeeen't been waaaatchhhhhing !

Kent_in_Atlanta
05-04-2007, 12:01 PM
These teams are a lot different, in that they are more experienced. Do I think that the Suns will win this series, probably not. I wouldn't look at the 2005 series for what to expect though.

I agree with you to some extent. The Suns are more experienced, and I do think that will make a difference. I also think the Spurs are a little better and more mobile offensively, so I don't think the Suns have done enough to get an edge on San Antonio... But because they have more experience, I picked this series to go 6, instead of what was in actuality a 4 game series in 2005.

hafey
05-04-2007, 12:05 PM
My 2 cents.

As a Suns fan, we overestimate the age and its effect on the Spurs. They are not too old and slow to beat the Suns. They may be older, but they can still play.

Spurs fans onverestimate the extent to which the Suns will struggle in the half court. The Suns are lightyears ahead of where they were two years ago in the half court. Amare/Nash pick and roll is even better while the emergence of Barbosa, a non-factor 2 years ago, gives the Suns a legit off the dribble isolation threat.

The series is going to be really, really close.

dreamcastrocks
05-04-2007, 12:16 PM
yoooooooooou haaaaaaveeeeeeen't been waaaatchhhhhing !

Finley WAS a factor in game 5. He played horrible in game 4, and played pretty good in the rest of the series. He wasn't a factor IMO. He didn't turn the game around, he doesn't play defense, and most of his baskets didn't affect the flow of the game. Without Finley in game 5, they don't win that game. The outcome would have been the same with our without him in the rest of the games.

I have been watching. You may want to articulate yourself a little better than that.

jman3000
05-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Finley WAS a factor in game 5. He played horrible in game 4, and played pretty good in the rest of the series. He wasn't a factor IMO. He didn't turn the game around, he doesn't play defense, and most of his baskets didn't affect the flow of the game. Without Finley in game 5, they don't win that game. The outcome would have been the same with our without him in the rest of the games.

I have been watching. You may want to articulate yourself a little better than that.
he played pretty good defense... who's the one who wasn't watching?

Kent_in_Atlanta
05-04-2007, 12:19 PM
My 2 cents.

As a Suns fan, we overestimate the age and its effect on the Spurs. They are not too old and slow to beat the Suns. They may be older, but they can still play.

Spurs fans onverestimate the extent to which the Suns will struggle in the half court. The Suns are lightyears ahead of where they were two years ago in the half court. Amare/Nash pick and roll is even better while the emergence of Barbosa, a non-factor 2 years ago, gives the Suns a legit off the dribble isolation threat.

The series is going to be really, really close.

As I mentioned in the previous post... I believe the Suns are more experienced, which includes learning to better adapt to other styles of play. I'm sure they will handle this series better than they did 2 years ago. Again, that's why I said this will go 6 instead of what was essentially a sweep 2 years ago.

As for the age of the Spurs... anyone who thinks its a factor PERIOD overestimates it.

None of the Spurs big-3 are old by any measure. And look at the minutes-per-game played by the Spurs more seasoned veterans throughout the season.

Barry: 21.8

Finley: 22.2

Horry: 16.6

Bruce Bowen was the only "older" player on this team that played as many as 30 minutes, but his role allows him to do that. He doesn't have to play all-out on both ends of the floor. "Play defense, and then go stand in the corner and wait for a pass"... that's pretty much his job description.

Pop knows how to manage a veteran squad, and while he won't say it, he knows that the regular season has very limited meaning. He saves his veterans for this time of year.

dreamcastrocks
05-04-2007, 12:20 PM
I agree with mabber. The biggest downfall for the Suns is D'Antoni's lack of in game adjustments. That will be a huge factor in this series, and one that we might not be able to overcome.

Kent_in_Atlanta
05-04-2007, 12:21 PM

Yeah man... not to pile on, but I also have to say that you're wrong about Finley's defense. Dude plays solid D. He's no Bruce Bowen, but he's solid.

Obstructed_View
05-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Suns fans don't watch defense.

dreamcastrocks
05-04-2007, 12:23 PM

I guess we have a different definition of good defense. The trapping that was done to Melo as soon as he touched the ball, and Duncan rotating over was absolutely awesome team defense. Finley did not play good man to man defense in the series. We will just have to disagree.

dreamcastrocks
05-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Yeah man... not to pile on, but I also have to say that you're wrong about Finley's defense. Dude plays solid D. He's no Bruce Bowen, but he's solid.

I'm not expected to have my opinion go over well in an opposite team's forum, but I respectfully disagree.

Suns fans watch defense. Ironic that this post came from someone with the username "Obstructed_View"

SirChaz
05-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Suns only have 4 players that were on the 2005 team and one of them didn't even play.

While on offense they play much the same way this is a much different Suns team.

They are deeper, more experienced, and play better defense.

I think those that expect a replay of 2005 are in for a suprise.

Obstructed_View
05-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Suns fans watch defense. Ironic that this post came from someone with the username "Obstructed_View"
Actually, what's ironic is that someone with that name sees more than you do.

By the way, that was really clever to bring that my handle. I think you are the first one to do that. Maybe you should change your handle to "attempts_to_change_the_subject".

Kent_in_Atlanta
05-04-2007, 12:39 PM
Suns only have 4 players that were on the 2005 team and one of them didn't even play.

While on offense they play much the same way this is a much different Suns team.

They are deeper, more experienced, and play better defense.

I think those that expect a replay of 2005 are in for a suprise.

I don't expect a replay of 2005. I think the Suns will play better. But the fact of the matter is that the Suns are at their core... essentially the same team.

Nash, Stoudemire, and Marion (all of whom are playing at a level very similar to 05), with 2 other solid players (those 2 names have changed, but production is very similar) and a cast of role players... just like 2 years ago. And the Suns play the exact same brand of basketball they did in 2005.

As I've mentioned, they're a very good team and I think their experience will help them this time around... but this is not a substantially different team.

The Spurs also have changed their frontcourt, backup point guard, and added Michael Finley... so there have definitely been some changes there as well.

But while there have been changes in both camps, these are not substantially different teams from when they last met. The Spurs matched up very well with the Suns then, and they will now.

SirChaz
05-04-2007, 12:49 PM
I don't expect a replay of 2005. I think the Suns will play better. But the fact of the matter is that the Suns are at their core... essentially the same team.

Nash, Stoudemire, and Marion (all of whom are playing at a level very similar to 05), with 2 other solid players (those 2 names have changed, but production is very similar) and a cast of role players... just like 2 years ago. And the Suns play the exact same brand of basketball they did in 2005.

As I've mentioned, they're a very good team and I think their experience will help them this time around... but this is not a substantially different team.

The Spurs also have changed their frontcourt, backup point guard, and added Michael Finley... so there have definitely been some changes there as well.

But while there have been changes in both camps, these are not substantially different teams from when they last met. The Spurs matched up very well with the Suns then, and they will now.

In 2005 the Suns had no role players.

They had 5 starters (one of which was missing to start the series) and Jim Jackson.

Besides the top three and the coaches offense there is no comparison.

In 2005 the Suns had very little playoff experience and clearly didn't have the intensity and concentration to compete at a conference finals level. After getting there 2 years in a row they are a much tougher mentally and understand much better how hard they have to play to win.

As for the Spurs matching up, they do. They matchup because they are disciplined, don't take bad shots, and help and rotate on defense as well as any team I have seen. Plus they are playoff tested, they have been there and back and don't fold under pressure.

It should be a great series. I expect a 7 game series with both teams winning on the road once. I think, and hope, that the home court will be the difference in a very close series.

Amare_32
05-04-2007, 01:53 PM
The Spurs make me nervous the Suns need to at least go into Game 3 in San Antonio with the series at worst tied. If there is a repeat of the 05 WCF where the Suns were down 0-2 they will be in trouble. I want to see how they defend Duncan.

Spurs Dynasty 21
05-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Spurs in 4

TxJudsonRocketTx
05-04-2007, 02:08 PM
I dont see how any Spurs fans can pick the Spurs to sweep or win in 5 games. This Phoenix team is dangerous this year, and just buying my tickets for Game 5 makes me nervous. I've seen them play twice this year, once was when they beat us down by like 16 but there was a ton of mental mistakes made by the Spurs in that game that I dont see repeating themselves now that we are in the playoffs. I can see the Spurs in 6, but should this game go to a game 7 in Phoenix I do not like our chances.

Obstructed_View
05-04-2007, 02:40 PM
The Spurs make me nervous the Suns need to at least go into Game 3 in San Antonio with the series at worst tied. If there is a repeat of the 05 WCF where the Suns were down 0-2 they will be in trouble. I want to see how they defend Duncan.
I agree. I'd say the Suns absolutely have to win both games at home to start the series. That's why I'm not sure it isn't an advantage NOT having HCA for the Spurs, since they can plant a lot of doubt right away if they steal one.

dreamcastrocks
05-04-2007, 04:40 PM
I agree. I'd say the Suns absolutely have to win both games at home to start the series. That's why I'm not sure it isn't an advantage NOT having HCA for the Spurs, since they can plant a lot of doubt right away if they steal one.

I absolutely agree with you. The Suns need to win both games at home in order to win the series.

Obstructed_View
05-04-2007, 05:05 PM
I absolutely agree with you. The Suns need to win both games at home in order to win the series.
The Spurs also focus better having to start the series on the road. Strange as it sounds, I think they are more likely to jump out to a 2-0 lead in a series where they don't have HCA.

TampaDude
05-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Spurs in 4

Yup...get out the broom...the Spurs will sweep the Suns...book it!

midgetonadonkey
05-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Spurs win the series 13 games to 5.

easjer
05-04-2007, 06:16 PM
I dont see how any Spurs fans can pick the Spurs to sweep or win in 5 games. This Phoenix team is dangerous this year, and just buying my tickets for Game 5 makes me nervous. I've seen them play twice this year, once was when they beat us down by like 16 but there was a ton of mental mistakes made by the Spurs in that game that I dont see repeating themselves now that we are in the playoffs. I can see the Spurs in 6, but should this game go to a game 7 in Phoenix I do not like our chances.

I saw five because of what the OP points out. The teams are essentially the same and the formula to beat Pheonix hasn't changed.

I am not pretending it won't be a tight or exciting series by any means. I just think the Spurs pull it out more often than Pheonix. The only reason we didn't sweep Pheonix in 05 was because of one night of stupid mistakes and poor play. I think they've gotten that out of their systems and that Pheonix is good enough to win one on their own.

Don't get me wrong - Suns are a good, fun, exciting team. But one that we can beat. In five games.

boutons_
05-04-2007, 06:23 PM
I don't want Game7 @PHX.

Send these effete fakers fishing in 5, or 6 max.

florige
05-04-2007, 09:08 PM
If we manage to sweep Phx, or for that matter beat them in 5 games, I'll expect some changes with them. The key to this series is the x-factor with Manu and Barbosa. How well those guys do off the bench will be the deciding factor. Barbosa is probably as quick, or quicker than Parker. That first round matchup with Iverson really came in handy.

florige
05-04-2007, 09:10 PM
I don't want Game7 @PHX.

Send these effete fakers fishing in 5, or 6 max.

We are not Dallas, if there happens to be a game 7 on the road in these playoffs im more than confident that we can pull it out. Over the years we have had our share of ending teams dreams on the road.

RonMexico
05-04-2007, 09:25 PM
I saw five because of what the OP points out. The teams are essentially the same and the formula to beat Pheonix hasn't changed.

I am not pretending it won't be a tight or exciting series by any means. I just think the Spurs pull it out more often than Pheonix. The only reason we didn't sweep Pheonix in 05 was because of one night of stupid mistakes and poor play. I think they've gotten that out of their systems and that Pheonix is good enough to win one on their own.

Don't get me wrong - Suns are a good, fun, exciting team. But one that we can beat. In five games.

No, you lost that game because Joe Johnson came back and was the high scorer that night... taking some pressure off Marion because Bowen had to defend JJ at times. Yes, it did come down to a spectacular block by Amare to end the game, but I definitely think (hope) this series won't play out like '05 in the first two games.

BillsCarnage
05-04-2007, 10:33 PM

Really? Guess we must have missed Raja and Marion.. Oh, and Nash taking all of those charges.

The teams are almost dead even, but I'd give a slight node to the Spurs by echoing what Pop says.. The Suns haven't beaten the Spurs when it counts.

At least not yet.

kingjack
05-04-2007, 10:49 PM
spurs in 7 it will be a good game to watch go spurs

Phonzie20
05-05-2007, 12:24 AM
good luck but nab a few of you.

Phonzie20
05-05-2007, 12:25 AM
some of you are jerks

Amuseddaysleeper
05-05-2007, 12:38 AM
can spurs take a game 7 in phoenix if it comes down to that?

even though they took all 3 road games back in 2005

Obstructed_View
05-05-2007, 04:58 AM
Really? Guess we must have missed Raja and Marion.. Oh, and Nash taking all of those charges.
My comment was specifically targeting someone who said Finley wasn't a factor in the first four games of the Denver series just because he didn't score 26 points. Would you like to go into more depth on that, since you selected just that one facetious joke to focus in on?

Kent_in_Atlanta
05-05-2007, 10:21 AM
The Spurs also focus better having to start the series on the road. Strange as it sounds, I think they are more likely to jump out to a 2-0 lead in a series where they don't have HCA.

Good point OV. I agree... mostly. I'm not sure they're more likely to jump out to a 2-0 on the road, but playing on the road is no big disadvantage for them. They do seem to focus better on the road to start a series.

The only time I felt playing on the road was really tough for them was a couple years ago against Detroit. That was a situation where the home crown fueled their defensive intensity as has been the case many times over the years in SA. Fortunately, we had home court that year.

Dre_7
05-05-2007, 04:00 PM
http://s07.picshome.com/835/147623067_243df2ca3c.jpg

Haha! That is classic! :lmao :lmao Love it!

mavsfan1000
05-05-2007, 04:11 PM
Suns will win this in 7. I think the suns are much better built to handle the spurs than they were 2 years ago. Kurt Thomas can guard Duncan as well as anyone. Also Bell is a very good defender and I believe will give Ginobili problems.

Clutch20
05-05-2007, 04:55 PM
From where I sit I'm seeing it this way; Spurs in 5. Since our offense doesn't stand out and at this point our defense carries us I'll venture to say our offense will crank it up another notch.
If we maintain our focus and intensity.
Suns can turn it on down the stretch against other teams but against the Spurs? Sean Elliot noticed that our 2nd quarter letdown against the Nuggs in game 5 allowed them back into the game to hang around and then make a push for the lead at the half. He attributed that to losing focus and intensity.
Others call it aggressiveness, robounding, shot selection. Others go on to call it motion offense, execution and movement off the ball.
I feel that our offense will go up another notch, or even maybe 2 when and if perimeter shooting maintains 33-40%, just enough to keep Thomas and Co. off of Timmy. He'll enjoy "quarterbacking" a lot more if he doesn't get his hands hammered all the time and if he'll cut down the turnovers. But then that's Tim, he finds a way no matter how the game is going.

LavaLamp
05-05-2007, 05:43 PM

I am not certain but I have the feeling that the Suns were holding something back during their April 5 game with the Spurs. It was as if they were testing their upgraded defense against the Spurs without showing all their offense. Game 1 will certainly be interesting.

LavaLamp
05-05-2007, 05:57 PM
The teams are essentially the same and the formula to beat Pheonix hasn't changed.

See, I think this is the conclusion that Suns coach Mike D'Antoni wants the Spurs players and team management to reach. It's highly unlikely that D'Antoni has not prepared for this matchup with the Spurs. I think he has something up his sleeve to be revealed during Game 1 tomorrow.

mikekim
05-05-2007, 06:28 PM
That's why I'm not sure it isn't an advantage NOT having HCA for the Spurs, since they can plant a lot of doubt right away if they steal one.

I'm sure what you said made sense, but the wording confused the hell out of me...haha

I have a 50/50 chance and I'm assuming you said having homecourt might be a disadvantage for the suns...in other words, NOT having homecourt is an advantage for the spurs...

or NOT having homecourt isn't a disadvantage for the spurs...yeah...okay, I get what you mean now, sorry :)

Kent_in_Atlanta
05-05-2007, 07:09 PM
I am not certain but I have the feeling that the Suns were holding something back during their April 5 game with the Spurs. It was as if they were testing their upgraded defense against the Spurs without showing all their offense. Game 1 will certainly be interesting.

Bro, no offense, but that's silly. Phoenix wanted badly to win that game as it would have cemented home court for them agains SA, which at the time, was in doubt. They held nothing back. They just got beat. I think you might be believing what you want to believe here.

Obstructed_View
05-05-2007, 07:16 PM
I'm sure what you said made sense, but the wording confused the hell out of me...haha

I have a 50/50 chance and I'm assuming you said having homecourt might be a disadvantage for the suns...in other words, NOT having homecourt is an advantage for the spurs...

or NOT having homecourt isn't a disadvantage for the spurs...yeah...okay, I get what you mean now, sorry :)
Yeah, I had to read it a couple of times to make sure it was correct. It never occurred to me to actually re-word it or anything. :)

sunsfan76
05-05-2007, 07:51 PM

They weren't holding anything back, but I remember watching that game and thinking we haven't missed this many open shots all year - we shot somewhere in the 30% range and that will not happen more than once, if that, in this coming series.

Kent_in_Atlanta
05-05-2007, 10:31 PM
They weren't holding anything back, but I remember watching that game and thinking we haven't missed this many open shots all year - we shot somewhere in the 30% range and that will not happen more than once, if that, in this coming series.

That kind of thing happens a lot against San Antonio.

PhxDog
05-05-2007, 10:52 PM
Bro, no offense, but that's silly. Phoenix wanted badly to win that game as it would have cemented home court for them agains SA, which at the time, was in doubt. They held nothing back. They just got beat. I think you might be believing what you want to believe here.
They had the #2 seed 'cemented' long before that game.

Obstructed_View
05-06-2007, 11:20 AM
I disagree. Many Suns fans couldn't figure out why D'Antoni pulled Thomas when it seemed like he was doing really well against Duncan on both ends. It's possible that he just wanted more offense, but that seems overly simplistic. It's possible that he didn't want to give them any more game film than he had to and is going to use that in certain situations.

That said, I'd be shocked if the Spurs didn't dissect that small portion of film anyway.