PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker

Big Pimp_21
06-14-2007, 11:09 AM
A question was brought up on STSA yesterday, and their topic during the 4 and 5 o'clock hours was "Why doesn't San Antonio endear themselves to Tony Parker the way they do Tim and Manu?"

I was curious what everyone's take here is on that. We seem to have a good balance of Tony haters and Tony lovers here, so why is it. What is it about TP that causes some of the Spur fans to like him less than Tim or Manu? We have people that would be downright pissed if he gets the MVP even though his leadership and stats have been comparable to Duncans.

One of those idiots on STSA actually made a good point (which is rare). He said "you know, if Tony had an 0-7 shooting night in game 3 Spurs fans and media would be crucifying him. Manu does it and pretty much gets a free pass."

I'm not necessarily taking a side on who should be MVP or even who should be a fan favorite, but I am curious to know what your thoughts are on this subject.

Creation88
06-14-2007, 11:10 AM
ha ha i like that avatar.

zrinkill
06-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Jealosy ........ or that he is french.

hater
06-14-2007, 11:15 AM
I agree. even non-spurs fans have more love for tony than spurs fans.

It is a mystery why.

in any other team, fans would be on TP's nuts.

Crookshanks
06-14-2007, 11:15 AM
I really believe it has something to do with the fact that Tony is French, while Manu shares the hispanic heritage of so many here in San Antonio.

I don't agree with those feelings - I love them both the same - they are the most exciting guys to watch!

MadDog73
06-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Question: If Tony wins MVP, will it make him more liked or more hated?

As for the original question, I have no answer. I love Tony and think he is the future of the franchise.

Then some dumbshit poster will rank Tony the 7th best PG currently. :madrun

romain.star
06-14-2007, 11:18 AM
1. tough to be french in Texas
2. he is a shot first PG and takes manu's shots
3. he's a horrible rapper
4. he's dating Eva (jealousy)
5. he's french
6. ........ he's french

Big Pimp_21
06-14-2007, 11:18 AM
Question: If Tony wins MVP, will it make him more liked or more hated?

Unfortunately, I think he will be more hated b/c its so close (stat wise) between him and Duncan. Fans will probably think he stole it from Duncan and somehow tarnished his legacy.

Lebowski Brickowski
06-14-2007, 11:20 AM
Tony's f'n awesome and I've always liked him since he was 19. Hell, I bought his Jersey in 2001.

I'd take him over chris paul, gilbert arenas, baron davis,steve nash, and deron williams any day of the week.

Spurs fans who don't like Tony are weak.

They might need a therapist.

Aud21946
06-14-2007, 11:21 AM
The most honest answer .. HE"S FRENCH!

anakha
A question was brought up on STSA yesterday, and their topic during the 4 and 5 o'clock hours was "Why doesn't San Antonio endear themselves to Tony Parker the way they do Tim and Manu?"

I was curious what everyone's take here is on that. We seem to have a good balance of Tony haters and Tony lovers here, so why is it. What is it about TP that causes some of the Spur fans to like him less than Tim or Manu? We have people that would be downright pissed if he gets the MVP even though his leadership and stats have been comparable to Duncans.

One of those idiots on STSA actually made a good point (which is rare). He said "you know, if Tony had an 0-7 shooting night in game 3 Spurs fans and media would be crucifying him. Manu does it and pretty much gets a free pass."

I'm not necessarily taking a side on who should be MVP or even who should be a fan favorite, but I am curious to know what your thoughts are on this subject.

1) Tony plays a position that has high standards of excellence. Some people just have taken those standards to unreasonable heights in judging his play.

2) Some people have other favorites on the team and will stoop to ANYTHING to prevent their favorite from looking bad - including tear down other players who they fear may be seen as playing better.

3) Some people see him as being too 'commercial' or too 'Hollywood' off the court and extend their criticisms to his play, unwarranted or not.

4) Some people presume to know more about him than his own coach and teammates. :rolleyes

Aud21946
O.k. ... HE'S French!

tsb2000
06-14-2007, 11:22 AM
It's nothing against Tony at all. I just think Manu has a special bond with the city because he's taking one for the team in coming off the bench, and the more obvious, he can speak Spanish.

romain.star
06-14-2007, 11:23 AM
O.k. ... HE'S French!

racism is in the air... :dizzy

MadDog73
06-14-2007, 11:23 AM
He's French... seriously? I know people throw that out (hell, I have too) as a reason, but I always said it half-jokingly.

If that's the real reason, then Tony Parker haters really are stupid.

ObiwanGinobili
06-14-2007, 11:24 AM
I <3 Tony.

really I think it;s because manu plays so crazy or wild we alwayss expect his antics to be 50/50. If he crews up we know later on he'll make it up.
Tony however has been molded and groomed by Pop sonce 18/19 and we fans expect the militant consistancy out of him that we see out of Tim.

I don;t know what the French thing is abouyt .. unless it all goes back to "freedom fries: bullshit. I'm not down with nation hatin.

DDS4
06-14-2007, 11:26 AM

Just an guess...

Point guard is the toughest position. Period. You have to get teammates involved and run the offense. Plus, you're required to make crucial buckets when the offense breaks down or there's not much time left on the clock. It's different responsibilities than Tim/Manu.

Tony is not your traditional John Stockton type of point guard. He has to SCORE to be effective. So when Tony gets super aggressive towards the basket or takes jump shots, he takes away shots/touches from Tim or Manu. And if it's not a basket and ends up being a turnover, people bemoan and bitch because people think Tim/Manu could have been a better option.

If we aren't running 4-down, our next play is the 1-4 high pick-and-roll with Tony and Tim. That's more than 50% of the Spurs playbook right there. If Tim isn't open in left low block, Tony is REQUIRED to SCORE.

AND POP WANTS IT THAT WAY.

MoSpur
06-14-2007, 11:27 AM
STSA wanted to get people to call in and stir up a debate. I think Tony is liked by a lot of people here, especially women.

MONTENEGRINO
06-14-2007, 11:33 AM
Good question...
I'm european too, from Montenegro, ex Yugoslavia republic at the coast of Adriatic sea.
I like Tony, but not near like I like TD, or Manu, at least. I don' have nothing against him, but simply, I don't consider him as important as Tim is. Methinks that every better PG can replace TP, but out there is no man who can replace TD. At least, every PG who penetrates. TD is the reason Parker, and every other spurs player are that good.

MadDog73
06-14-2007, 11:35 AM
Good question...
I'm european too, from Montenegro, ex Yugoslavia republic at the coast of Adriatic sea.
I like Tony, but not near like I like TD, or Manu, at least. I don' have nothing against him, but simply, I don't consider him as important as Tim is. Methinks that every better PG can replace TP, but out there is no man who can replace TD. At least, every PG who penetrates. TD is the reason Parker, and every other spurs player are that good.

But that's simply not true!

i.e., we have tried other point guards, and none are as good as Parker.

It works both ways: Tony's jumper and penetration makes it easier for Tim Duncan to get shots.

stéphane
06-14-2007, 11:39 AM
he's french, sad to say but reality hurts.
As a french and poster here for 2years and a half there's no other reason.
I mean at some point here at ST i was ignored or just brought down coz of the lil flag in my avatar.
I honestly dont get the hate over frenchmen.
someone could explain?

kskonn
06-14-2007, 11:43 AM
Something else to think about. He replaced AJ, one of the biggest fan favorites ever, when he was a rookie. I think inderectly a lot of people feel like he ran AJ off.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-14-2007, 11:45 AM
I would think its pretty obvious why people love Tim a bit more than TP. Parker and Manu are WITH the Spurs, Tim IS the Spurs. With regards to why people in San Antonio seem to like Manu more than TP, I can only assume its the heritage. I don't really understand why people don't like Parker that much, I mean the man has done everything right up 'till now.

I know here in Argentina a lot of people didn't like Parker because of ignorance. They thought Parker was preventing Manu from something (don't ask me what). This idiotic notion seems to have gone away as the manumania has died down almost completely here. Fact is, here in Argentina, Parker hate can be attributed to ignorance, but over in San Antonio, I don't understand how.

Bigzax
06-14-2007, 11:48 AM
tony couldn't shoot before. now he can.

he's more aggressive. pop has taken the reigns off.

this is the 1st year, imo, that he has been a major part of a spurs championship.

i'm glad he came around and glad he's on our team.
but i was hoping the spurs would trade his ass in years past.

we've all seen manu's play have less consistency over the past couple years, but he's definitely had his playoff moments already, and the spurs won the championship his 1st year in the league. so that has put him above tony in the past.

if tony wins mvp? he deserves it.

so does td and bruce, but the 4th title is all that matters.

kskonn
06-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Also in the past he used to get to the rim and miss the lay up. His finishing ability from his rookie year to now is not even close. A lot of people always bring up the past when I am arguing with them about how good he has gotten. They refuse to look at what a complete player he has become and how much better he will probably get.

romain.star
06-14-2007, 11:57 AM
he would probably be a much more popular player in a East or West coast team but hey, he's about to get his 3rd rings in 6 years... so he must give a shit about all these TP haters

MI21
06-14-2007, 11:58 AM
It is very weird.

It's completely the opposite with fans of others teams. Everyone hates Manu because of the flopping. Everyone likes, or at leasts respects Tony as a very good player.

Strange.

makedamnsure
06-14-2007, 12:05 PM
because he's french AND he raps AND he has eva longoria?

BlackFlagg
06-14-2007, 12:08 PM
Unfortunately, I think he will be more hated b/c its so close (stat wise) between him and Duncan. Fans will probably think he stole it from Duncan and somehow tarnished his legacy.

:lol True. And if he didn't perform well people would be pissing about that. I love the guy.

nkdlunch
06-14-2007, 12:37 PM
noone has mention the biggest reason, which IMO is that Tony used to dissapear every playoff run. This is the first year he is not dissapearing. So ppl are still used to hating on Tony but wait until Tony has 2 great playoffs in a row and ppl will love Tony.

But I do agree that him being the PG and french have somewhat to do with it too.

Switchman
06-14-2007, 12:44 PM
Manu is like Rocky Balboa. He's scrappy and he has more heart than everyone else.

Tony is with Eva. She will corrupt his mind with Cali talk, and he will betray us.

Kori Ellis
06-14-2007, 12:53 PM
1. tough to be french in Texas
2. he is a shot first PG and takes manu's shots
3. he's a horrible rapper
4. he's dating Eva (jealousy)
5. he's french
6. ........ he's french

People in Texas don't dislike French people. You have probably never been to Texas, so I don't why you keep repeating this incorrect sentiment.

Kori Ellis
06-14-2007, 12:54 PM
noone has mention the biggest reason, which IMO is that Tony used to dissapear every playoff run. This is the first year he is not dissapearing. So ppl are still used to hating on Tony but wait until Tony has 2 great playoffs in a row and ppl will love Tony.

But I do agree that him being the PG and french have somewhat to do with it too.

He didn't disappear last year either. He was great in the Kings series and averaged 20ppg while hurt against the Mavs.

MadDog73
06-14-2007, 12:54 PM

Manu disappears all the time, and helped cost us a championship last year, yet no one hates on him.

(I like Manu, so please don't flame me for hating on Manu. Just making a point.)

MadDog73
06-14-2007, 12:55 PM
People in Texas don't dislike French people. You have probably never been to Texas, so I don't why you keep repeating this incorrect sentiment.

Then why the hate Kori?

Seriously, I don't undertand it myself.

souriciergris
06-14-2007, 12:56 PM
because he's french AND he raps AND he has eva longoria?

He was hated before Eva and before rap...

Kori Ellis
06-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Then why the hate Kori?

Seriously, I don't undertand it myself.

I don't think that many people hate him outside some dumbasses on this forum.

At the AT&T Center he gets the second most applause to Manu in every introduction. Tonh always more applause than Tim.

People in San Antonio just love Manu more than any Spurs player because of being Hispanic. There's people who go to Spurs games who call him "our Mexican player".

stéphane
06-14-2007, 12:57 PM
hehe he's not grown yet so the texas partis not true
well not so true coz its general and not only texas...
of course it's not everybody but i'm not going to give you a bunch of example about how your political media try to give you the "right" way to feel over any subject...

SouthernFried
06-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Noone has mention the biggest reason, which IMO is that Tony used to dissapear every playoff run. This is the first year he is not dissapearing. So ppl are still used to hating on Tony but wait until Tony has 2 great playoffs in a row and ppl will love Tony.

I thought this was obvious to everyone.

"Because he is French" ????!!!!! :rolleyes

...gimme a break

And "we love Manu cuz he's hispanic??"

christ...lol

Manu's my favorite player in the league...because he's Manu. I'm white, I could give a f*** what race or ethnicity anyone else is. Which I think is the "normal" reaction...in most places that is.

nkdlunch
06-14-2007, 12:59 PM
He didn't disappear last year either. He was great in the Kings series and averaged 20ppg while hurt against the Mavs.

but he did not have a great playoffs last year. this year is the first great playoffs he has.

manu and Duncan have had great playoffs in the past.

GrandeDavid
06-14-2007, 01:00 PM
I mean at some point here at ST i was ignored or just brought down coz of the lil flag in my avatar.
someone could explain?

I like Frenchmen and my personal encounters with the French have all been very pleasant. In fact, I spent this past new year in Paris and had a wonderful time. The people were very nice. So don't count me in with that group of haters! :)

nkdlunch
06-14-2007, 01:01 PM
American ppl need to accept that the AVERAGE AMERICAN does not like the french. stop pretending :rolleyes

Kori Ellis
06-14-2007, 01:01 PM
but he did not have a great playoffs last year. this year is the first great playoffs he has.

manu and Duncan have had great playoffs in the past.

That has nothing to do with certain people here hate him. Believe me.

Some people on this forum think that to make Manu look his best, they should hate Parker. But honestly, San Antonio in general doesn't hate Parker. I see it at every game. He always gets nearly the applause of Manu. Tony always gets more applause than Duncan. So he isn't hated by San Antonio in general.

GrandeDavid
06-14-2007, 01:02 PM
There's people who go to Spurs games who call him "our Mexican player".

Now THAT is sad. :shootme

Kori Ellis
American ppl need to accept that the AVERAGE AMERICAN does not like the french. stop pretending :rolleyes

The average American doesn't care one way or another about the French. :lol

Spurminator
People don't dislike him because he's French. That's the most simplistic bullshit I've ever heard.

Kori Ellis
06-14-2007, 01:03 PM
People don't dislike him because he's French. That's the most simplistic bullshit I've ever heard.

Exactly.

The people in this forum who hate him, most hate him because they think it makes Manu look better. But I don't think in general he's hated at all.

MadDog73
06-14-2007, 01:04 PM
That has nothing to do with certain people here hate him. Believe me.

Some people on this forum think that to make Manu look his best, they should hate Parker. But honestly, San Antonio in general doesn't hate Parker. I see it at every game. He always gets nearly the applause of Manu. Tony always gets more applause than Duncan. So he isn't hated by San Antonio in general.

I need to copy this so I can paste it in every "I hate Tony" thread that pops up after he wins MVP tonight.

stéphane
06-14-2007, 01:04 PM
I like Frenchmen and my personal encounters with the French have all been very pleasant. In fact, I spent this past new year in Paris and had a wonderful time. The people were very nice. So don't count me in with that group of haters! :)

lol no problem...
I remenber reading the post you made here about your trip.
glad you were welcomed.
:p:

stéphane
06-14-2007, 01:08 PM
I dont want to make this thread political or anything but the french part is not ridiculous.
Some people dislikes (to say the least) other religions, other colors, even other country.
That happens everywhere including france. Sure the mighty US cant face it sure ^^
french fries my ass.

Kori Ellis
06-14-2007, 01:09 PM
I need to copy this so I can paste it in every "I hate Tony" thread that pops up after he wins MVP tonight.

:lol

Exactly. There's people who actually think Tony hasn't contributed to this playoff run. Someone posted after Game 3 "look Tony doesn't do shit .. his man always outscores him" (Boobie was 1-for-10). Someone posted yesterday, "Tony does absolutely nothing but flop in the lane for layups - it doesn't matter if he makes them or not". It's just a few idiots (probably 10-15 posters), but unfortunately they are vocal.

What people aren't understanding about Tony being voted an All-Star this year is that the COACHES voted him there because every coach says "If you stop Parker's penetration, you have a chance to stop San Antonio." Even in this series with the Cavs, their whole mindset defensively has been to stop Parker. They haven't been able to do it yet, but they know that his penetration is key to the Spurs success. People who actually watch basketball realize how important the penetration and aggressiveness by Tony are by design in the Spurs offense.

Kori Ellis
06-14-2007, 01:10 PM
I dont want to make this thread political or anything but the french part is not ridiculous.
Some people dislikes (to say the least) other religions, other colors, even other country.
That happens everywhere including france. Sure the mighty US cant face it sure ^^
french fries my ass.

It is ridiculous. The average American doesn't even know anything about anything political regarding the French. Americans don't, in general, dislike French people.

hater
06-14-2007, 01:11 PM
It is ridiculous. The average American doesn't even know anything about anything political regarding the French. Americans don't, in general, dislike French people.

yes they do. at least here in the east coast wher I live.

fred33
06-14-2007, 01:12 PM
i also think he 's underatted on defense he is the best defensive point guard in the nba in front of chris paul he allow the less fg percentage on opposite point guard

Trainwreck2100
06-14-2007, 01:14 PM
I hated seeing Jason Kidd's wife every time he scored, I hated hearing about AI's and Shaq's rap ventures.

Tony Parker has both, and while the sensationalism isn't his fault, and I do appreciate what he does on the court. He is the embodiment of what I stood againt in the early part of this decade. I would be a hypocrit to put him over the other two.

stéphane
06-14-2007, 01:14 PM

yup Kori you said it, in general.
Who said everybody hates TP?
Some (including me) just said that some of the posters may hate him just because of that.
That doesn't include everybody...
A lot that is said on this board (criticism wise) about Tony is right on target but sometimes the critics are just complete BS. That's a fact.

Kori Ellis
06-14-2007, 01:16 PM
... but sometimes the critics are just complete BS. That's a fact.

Most of the time :)

romain.star
06-14-2007, 01:16 PM

ignorance is the first step towards hatred kori...

MadDog73
06-14-2007, 01:17 PM
I hated seeing Jason Kidd's wife every time he scored, I hated hearing about AI's and Shaq's rap ventures.

Tony Parker has both, and while the sensationalism isn't his fault, and I do appreciate what he does on the court. He is the embodiment of what I stood againt in the early part of this decade. I would be a hypocrit to put him over the other two.

What other two? Tim and Bowen?

Just because he raps and is about to get married to Eva, he's now automatically out of contention for any awards?

For the record, I never even heard of Tony's rap "career." The only time I heard him rap was at the 2005 Alamodome celebration, and that was funny.

hater
06-14-2007, 01:18 PM

:lmao

say what?

Kori Ellis
06-14-2007, 01:19 PM

Well I have been to every state in the country and I can tell you that most Americans don't hate the French. Just like they don't hate the Spanish, don't have Turkish. Whatever. It's not that political here in that regard and there's not that much international hate.

There's way more racial hate amongst our own citizens than there is an international hate.

stéphane
06-14-2007, 01:19 PM

At least, TW you're honest and it makes sense.
I personnaly hate every player from the Lazio Roma for political reasons. So you hate the person and not the baller. Thats a good reason for not loving him but not a good reason for bashing him :spin

MoSpur
06-14-2007, 01:20 PM
I would love to see Tony get the Finals MVP

MadDog73
06-14-2007, 01:21 PM
I would love to see Tony get the Finals MVP

I have a feeling it's gonna happen.

Trainwreck2100
06-14-2007, 01:22 PM
What other two? Tim and Bowen?

Just because he raps and is about to get married to Eva, he's now automatically out of contention for any awards?

For the record, I never even heard of Tony's rap "career." The only time I heard him rap was at the 2005 Alamodome celebration, and that was funny.

I was just answering the original question. On why I like Tim and Manu more than Tony.

Kori Ellis
06-14-2007, 01:22 PM
I have a feeling it's gonna happen.

It depends how tonight goes, but I think Duncan will win it.

romain.star
06-14-2007, 01:23 PM
I personnaly hate every player from the Lazio Roma for political reasons. So you hate the person and not the baller. Thats a good reason for not loving him but not a good reason for bashing him :spin

hey dude... you can't be a " Paulo di Canio" hater :lol

MadDog73
06-14-2007, 01:24 PM
It depends how tonight goes, but I think Duncan will win it.

I actually hope Duncan wins it (ironic?); but I just have this feeling.

EDIT: I actually hope it's co-MVP. That would be super sweet.

(did I just say "super sweet?" )

stéphane
06-14-2007, 01:25 PM
hey dude... you can't be a " Paulo di Canio" hater :lol

oups got me :toast

MaNuMaNiAc
06-14-2007, 01:26 PM
I actually want Duncan to get it, so he can solidify his Best Power Forward case once and for all. However, if Parker gets it, it will be very much deserved.

mando6599
06-14-2007, 01:31 PM
I really believe it has something to do with the fact that Tony is French, while Manu shares the hispanic heritage of so many here in San Antonio.

I don't agree with those feelings - I love them both the same - they are the most exciting guys to watch!

I think it has to do with the fact that Tony seems to have an ego moreso than Tim or Manu. In every interview I've seen with Tony, he may talk the "humble" talk, but you can kind of sense an arrogance to him. Plus, and above all, he's made a FRENCH RAP ALBUM, 'nuff said.

stéphane
06-14-2007, 01:33 PM
I actually want Duncan to get it, so he can solidify his Best Power Forward case once and for all. However, if Parker gets it, it will be very much deserved.

:tu
I'd like TD to get it and would be just pleased that people just acknoledged that's a great team win. Tim couldn't have done it all by himself...
"Are you fools?"

GrandeDavid
06-14-2007, 01:33 PM

Now the Portuguese....I'll rag on them. They pillaged and raped Brazil for its gold and minerals instead of colonizing it properly... just kidding!

Seriously, I haven't perceived much Tony hate. I think he's much appreciated here. I certainly see lots of his jerseys around town.

makedamnsure
06-14-2007, 01:34 PM
I was kidding about the french lol I love them. some of my favorite athletes are french: TP, Thierry Henry, Zidane

Kori Ellis
06-14-2007, 01:35 PM
I think it has to do with the fact that Tony seems to have an ego moreso than Tim or Manu. In every interview I've seen with Tony, he may talk the "humble" talk, but you can kind of sense an arrogance to him. Plus, and above all, he's made a FRENCH RAP ALBUM, 'nuff said.

Basketball wise, he has to be slightly arrogant to be a successful point guard:lol But most people find him to be the humblest of the Spurs off the court, along with Manu and Bowen.

childsafetylock
06-14-2007, 01:50 PM
i like tony. he's my favorite spurs player. duncan is a close second.

Slomo
06-14-2007, 02:25 PM
It is ridiculous. The average American doesn't even know anything about anything political regarding the French. Americans don't, in general, dislike French people.I disagree completely.

There isn't a foreign country in popular US media that is more consistently stereotyped and made fun of than France. Look at sport writers, comedians, Hollywood movies... It's always the same jokes about the French.

And I believe that if rubs off on the average American, so although they might not know much about the country they will revert to what they are being fed by the media.

I also think it has gotten worse since the freedom fries bullshit.

Now I do hate quite a lot of French people, but these are people I've met personally and have made my life miserable - that's until I realize I was quite a bit taller than they were and started kicking the shit out of them, which probably created a large group of French people who hate Yugoslavians (yes it was a while back).

Despite that I don't hate the whole French nation (or any other nation for that matter) just the few assholes I know personally (and I know quite a few of those that are non-French as well).

As for Tony I really like the guy for a very simple reason - he improved every single season he's been with the Spurs. That's tough and requires a maturity usually not found in players his age.

ForeignFan
06-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Very few american people know anything or care anything about the French. It is true that if you watch (and believe...) Foxnews you may end up hating them, but, frankly, I hope american people are more clever than that - and based on the 3 years I've spent in the US, I believe so. About Texan people, actually I thought they were pretty cool (I met a few of them in New York and Houston) despite certain habits or customs we indeed do not share at all ...

SpurOutofTownFan
06-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Manu disappears all the time, and helped cost us a championship last year, yet no one hates on him.

(I like Manu, so please don't flame me for hating on Manu. Just making a point.)

Manu lover here. The foul was dumb but saying we lost it because of him it's ridiculous. Last time I checked it was a team playing 7 games against a very good team. And then there were the refs as well.

spursfan09
06-14-2007, 03:37 PM
My fave player is TP right now, but I just want Tim to get it becuase of what that 4th MVP finals trophy will mean. But like I said before if TP gets it. It won't be a bad thing at all, I will be happy for him!

timvp
06-14-2007, 05:16 PM
If I had an MVP vote, I'd probably vote for Duncan or Bowen. But if Parker wins, not only will it be justifiable, it'd be some nice justice for all the crap he's taken over the years.

I think he's the most underappreciated star the Spurs have ever had. Parker has been hated on for nearly his whole career by Spurs fans and I've never really understood it. If you take a poll at a Spurs game asking who their favorite player is, Manu would get about 70% of the vote, Duncan would get about 15% and Parker would come in between third and fifth -- but no where near Manu or even Duncan.

Why? I think the following reasons:

--Manu might be the most well liked Spur of all-time. Seriously. Gervin had his detractors. Robinson had his detractors. Duncan even bores his own fans. Manu is not only Latin (or is it Hispanic?), but he's also one of the most exciting players in the league. Manu plays his heart out. I can't really admonish Spurs fans for their love affair with him because it's justified. He's awesome. But because they love Manu so much, Parker gets in the way because the only thing between Manu having the ball and not having the ball is Parker.

--He has that point guard arrogance on the court. Parker has to wave people off. He has to not pass it to Manu sometimes. He has to be a bit of an azz on the court sometimes. But without that arrogance, he wouldn't be a good point guard. Name any great point guard over the years and they weren't nice on the court. Without arrogance, you can't be a good point guard.

--Parker has the Hollywood girlfriend and he raps. The only thing San Antonio hates more than the Hollywood lifestyle is rap. San Antonio is about as anti-Hollywood as it gets. And rap and hip hop music is probably less popular in San Antonio than any other big city in America.

--Parker is French. I don't think this is a huge factor but you have to remember that San Antonio is a military city first. If any town in America is going to hold a grudge against the French, it's San Antonio. This is the town that booed Wang Zhizhi in one of his first NBA games because Wang is from China. This isn't a huge factor, but it is a factor.

Someone asked whether the MVP award would make Parker more or less liked in San Antonio and that's a good question. That's a good question that I don't know the answer to. I just hope that if it happens, it happens on the road because I wouldn't put it past Spurs fans to boo Parker if he won it at home.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Someone asked whether the MVP award would make Parker more or less liked in San Antonio and that's a good question. That's a good question that I don't know the answer to. I just hope that if it happens, it happens on the road because I wouldn't put it past Spurs fans to boo Parker if he won it at home.

That is a good question. I hope if he gets it people don't boo at him. If the media gives him the award it is because he deserved it more than TD in my opinion. But as a Manu lover, I would only want for Manu to have the opportunity at least of starting next year and don't be put back in the bench just because they play crap. I don't think it's fair making him pay for it regardless of the first team attitute. If they play crap, they play crap. For Manu I'm sure he doesn't feel this ring values more than that one he got 2 years ago. He made a comment when he won in 2005 where that ring was more valuable for him that the one in 2003 because of his involvement. I'm sure he doesn't feel 100% now. If you send him to the bench, he just goes under the radar like what happened to the sixth man award. I'm sorry but it's not Parker hate, its just being fair.

tp time
06-14-2007, 05:29 PM
San Antonio is not LA so..people love nice guys not stars.. oups

tp time
06-14-2007, 05:37 PM
its not hate just jalouesy (i guess love a little)... (just like the irak war, french was right..)

pppp
06-14-2007, 06:55 PM
I hate these fascist bastards too...DiCanio has a freakin' Mussolini tatoo on his shoulder...the public boo their own black players whe they touch the ball !!! :dizzy :dizzy

jesse
06-14-2007, 06:59 PM
tonys the shit right now, hes freaking rich, his soon to be wife is freaking hot, and hes about to be a freaking champ and might be mvp...the only reason why i think why you wouldnt like tony is JELOUSY!!!

SRJ
06-14-2007, 07:00 PM
They pillaged and raped Brazil for its gold and minerals instead of colonizing it properly

You kidding? That's exactly how to properly colonize a place! :wink

Seriously, I think Tony is the closest thing to an "anti-Spur" we have. Manu doesn't care if he starts. Tim never plays to the crowd, always talks team-first, etc. Pop thinks he's some joke of a coach. Tony, on the other hand, likes the limelight - the hot Hollywood GF, the rap album. He even said he sometimes gets a little frustrated about not getting more recognition.

Now I understand all that, but I admire the shit out of Tony because in spite of all of his peripheral stuff, he is all business. You can see that every year he adds a new element to his game. He plays through pain all the time and manages it well. He's relentless. He has turned the weaknesses in his game into strengths.

I have a soft spot for Tim among our big three, but we are unbelievable lucky to have three great talents who care this much about competing and winning. That's why we have this dynasty - the players may change, but those players work their asses off to be the best. Whether it was David, Sean, and Avery in 1999, or Manu, Tony and Bruce today.

Spurminator
06-14-2007, 07:04 PM
Don't forget that Tony came out against the Spurs' pursuit of Jason Kidd after the 2003 season. I think subconsciously this still has some effect on people's perception of him, even if they've concluded that we are better off.

gaKNOW!blee
06-14-2007, 07:07 PM
I dont know about you guys but TP is my second favorite Spur, in 2003 I wouldve been so devastated if they got rid of him.

Tony Parker will go to atleast 5 more all star games.

He's no Derek Anderson, but then again who is??

Kori Ellis
06-14-2007, 07:14 PM
He even said he sometimes gets a little frustrated about not getting more recognition.

:lol I'd like to see you find that quote.

Tony is actually probably one of the humblest Spurs.

He always praises team first -- maybe moreso than anyone else outside of Bruce.

He clearly and repeatedly says this is Timmy's team.

Tony wanting to be an AllStar means that he wants to elevate his game to AllStar level. I don't see how that's a bad thing.

Spurs Brazil
06-14-2007, 07:20 PM
I think TD deserves to be the MVP, but I'm very happy to see TP playing in that level now.

I don't understand why some Spurs fans don't like him

He'll get his 3rd ring in 6 season

The guy is great and will only get better

ginobili fan
06-14-2007, 07:28 PM
Sometimes people don't realize how much Tim, Tony and Manu are humble guys for their status.
I mean Manu can easily be a superstar in another team, same for Tony...But why the Spurs are a dynasty? because o these talented guys who care about winning first and not about their asses...
Spursfans are SPOILED!!!!! : they actually have the best PF of all time, one of the best PG if is not the "best" close with nash, the best 6th guy or one of the best SG, the best defender , the best coach..........bla bla bla and they're bitching about who must win the MVP, or "I wish one of the big 3 had a bad game..." It's just WOW WOW WOW
WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????????? ???????§,

,j,kjqmjhoptrjklmktrlmjkjmlkmrlyj!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!?????????? :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :pctoss :bang :bang :nerd :drunk :elephant :dizzy :dizzy :bang :pctoss

Switchman
06-14-2007, 09:02 PM
TP is earning his MVP tonight imo

nkdlunch
06-14-2007, 09:03 PM
MVP Parker. it is solidifying

smeagol
06-14-2007, 09:18 PM
The only shot he missed in the 1H was a foul the refs missed.

MVP up to now.

T Park
06-14-2007, 09:20 PM
Parker has come out, like a man that wants to have a river parade and then start popping bubbly for a wedding, dude is awesome right now.

Hopefully his teammates can actually help him right now :lol

tim_duncan_fan
06-14-2007, 09:22 PM
The only shot he missed in the 1H was a foul the refs missed.

MVP up to now.

Yep. And as for duncan.....

He's being a :loser

TheTruth
06-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Tony Is The Crossover Kid! The Teardrop Specialist! Mr. Break Your Ankles!!!

Jelly
06-14-2007, 09:25 PM
I can think of about 4 Spurs that could win MVP. They're all great. Bowen deserves MAJOR accolades. I love Tony and if I had to make a choice I'd pick him for MVP. If his name was Tony Perez, the rest of SA would love him too. Sorry, but that's a fact. And it's pretty sad.

Bob Lanier
06-14-2007, 09:43 PM
He's the blackest player on your team.

ObiwanGinobili
06-14-2007, 09:45 PM
someone could explain?

Someone said they ignoired you because you are french? thats fucked up.
I don;t hate on anyone because of thier country/race/religion etc.

But there are alot of people here and I honestly don;t recognize your screen name even tho you;ve been here 6 months longer than me. Although I must have read a post of yours at some point - there are jut alot of people here.
No nation hatin.

And I seriously don't know a single American that actually hates the french, or has any opinion or knowledge about current french politics at all.
Except for bill O'Rielly but that douche hates alot of things.

nkdlunch
06-14-2007, 09:57 PM
OMG the frenchie is so close!!!!

Jelly
06-14-2007, 10:04 PM
yup Kori you said it, in general.
Who said everybody hates TP?
Some (including me) just said that some of the posters may hate him just because of that.
That doesn't include everybody...
A lot that is said on this board (criticism wise) about Tony is right on target but sometimes the critics are just complete BS. That's a fact.

Stephane,
I honestly don't think it has anything to do with his being French. And right now I hear nothing but love for Tony because he's been amazing. Lots of people want him to be MVP. In 2005, he wasn't playing nearly as well and made quite a few mistakes, which started the Tony hating. Now, he plays well and we love him. Manu was loved in 2005 when he was amazing, but as soon as he lost his game, people were ready to hang him high. Duncan's being trashed a lot on this board too.

I never hear "real" Americans express negative feelings toward the French....that's for inflammatory news commentators and pundits. The rest of us don't care one way or another. Also, it usually takes many posts before anyone responds to you. Same thing happened to me. Don't take it personally.

TDMVPDPOY
06-14-2007, 10:13 PM
all i remember is gino only fuckn up one play

as tp during the lakers 3peat choked away every series

SRJ
06-15-2007, 12:20 AM
I'd like to see you find that quote.

Well, I can't link to the game one telecast. But it was after a commercial break, and they did one of those quickie pre-taped interviews, and Parker talked about that playing in San Antonio was a little frustrating because sometimes you don't always get your due recognition, but he loves it here because of the winning.

I'll stand happily corrected if my memory is failing me, but that's what I rmember him saying just one week ago.

SRJ
06-15-2007, 09:29 AM
Well, I can't link to the game one telecast. But it was after a commercial break, and they did one of those quickie pre-taped interviews, and Parker talked about that playing in San Antonio was a little frustrating because sometimes you don't always get your due recognition, but he loves it here because of the winning.

I don't mean to bump this old thread, but I wonder if anyone else saw this as well.

I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't imagining that quote from game one.

Kori Ellis
06-15-2007, 09:31 AM
I don't mean to bump this old thread, but I wonder if anyone else saw this as well.

He was talking about the team not getting recognition. Not himself not getting recognition.

RC's Boss
06-15-2007, 09:36 AM
:lol I'd like to see you find that quote.

Tony is actually probably one of the humblest Spurs.

He always praises team first -- maybe moreso than anyone else outside of Bruce.

He clearly and repeatedly says this is Timmy's team.

Tony wanting to be an AllStar means that he wants to elevate his game to AllStar level. I don't see how that's a bad thing.
I heard that interview too. He wasn't saying anything as far as recognition in San Antonio. He was talking about recognition as far as elite PG's in the leegue. He said he always hears about Baron, Nash and also up and comers like Paul and Williams, but his name doesn't get mentioned often. I guess that will change now :lol

SRJ
06-15-2007, 09:36 AM
That may be true, but I could swear he was referring to himself.

I would really appreciate it if someone could YouTube that segment just to satisfy my (perhaps failing) memory.

My larger point stands, however. Parker may have a little bit of flash to him, but at the end of the day he busts his as year in and year out to be the best - which he was, on the greatest of stages. I hope it was clear that I was never trying to castigate him.

Jelly
06-15-2007, 03:54 PM

You weren't imagining it. That's exactly what Tony said.

MadDog73
06-15-2007, 03:58 PM
9-1 votes for Tony as MVP.

Judging by the comments shown on TV last night, seemed SA had no problem with it.

Funny how a Championship matters more than MVPs...

I'm excited for Tony. I think he will be an even better player next year.

ancestron
06-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Tony Parker is the fuckin man. His development from when he first started in the NBA is off the charts. Spurs fans that don't like Tony Parker or appreciate what he has done for this team aren't real Spurs fans imo

Sec24Row7
06-15-2007, 04:13 PM
I think people identifiy with Tony less than Manu/Timmy or Bruce because he is a Chest Thumper...

Now... he's not a horrible chest thumper... but as a Spur he stands out.

He is the least humble. The least modest. Has a hollywood Girlfriend.

For a lot of people Tony will always be the 20 year old kid who got drunk during the 2003 locker room championship celebration after Speedy Claxton finished the game.

Tony is Showtime.

That being said... I love his game. He is fearless. He is a competitor. He is everything that you want in a Spur.

San Antonio fans just can't relate to him as well as they can Tim or Manu...

Ya Vez
06-15-2007, 04:21 PM
I have heard some rumors on radio .. that tony and eva are pretty rude to the average folk around SA... so I don't know if that has anything to do with this thread..

ducks
06-15-2007, 04:53 PM
9-1 votes for Tony as MVP.

Judging by the comments shown on TV last night, seemed SA had no problem with it.

Funny how a Championship matters more than MVPs...

I'm excited for Tony. I think he will be an even better player next year.
was the guy from the usa today
the one that voted for duncan
he said before game 4 he was going to

Kori Ellis
06-15-2007, 04:54 PM
was the guy from the usa today
the one that voted for duncan
he said before game 4 he was going to

I think Marc Stein of ESPN.com is the only one who voted for Duncan.

ducks
06-15-2007, 04:55 PM
thanks

JUUOT
06-15-2007, 05:05 PM
He was talking about the team not getting recognition. Not himself not getting recognition.

i remember watching it and i clearly understood he was talking about him since he mentionned nash. He sais it can be frustrating to not get as much recognition as other big market guys but that at this time of year you appreciate it so much more because of the rings.

i don't see how it is bad though!

Petite Française
06-19-2007, 06:47 PM
He's so disrespectful?

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06182007/gossip/pagesix/nuptial_jitters_pagesix_.htm

June 18, 2007 -- EVA Longoria's wedding to Tony Parker is fast approaching, and her mane man, Ken Paves, has told the tiny housewife he'll do her hair for free as a gift. Also offering his service free of charge is Longoria's famed stylist, Robert Verdi. Meanwhile, some of Longoria's pals are worried about Parker. "He is just not gracious," one of them said. "He puts himself ahead of her. He always orders at restaurants before her and is rude to waiters. We just don't have a good feeling about him

ChumpDumper
06-19-2007, 06:48 PM
Uh, he's French.

And I didn't know Eva actually ate solid food.

ShoogarBear
06-19-2007, 07:11 PM
I see Page Six is shooting for another Pulitzer.

judaspriestess
06-19-2007, 07:57 PM
someone could explain?

I don't get the hate either. I for one L-O-V-E European men in general.

June 18, 2007 -- EVA Longoria's wedding to Tony Parker is fast approaching, and her mane man, Ken Paves, has told the tiny housewife he'll do her hair for free as a gift. Also offering his service free of charge is Longoria's famed stylist, Robert Verdi. Meanwhile, some of Longoria's pals are worried about Parker. "He is just not gracious," one of them said. "He puts himself ahead of her. He always orders at restaurants before her and is rude to waiters. We just don't have a good feeling about him

European people are just more blunt and to the point.

boutons_
06-19-2007, 09:40 PM
"some of Longoria's pals are worried about Parker"

The only opinion of Tony that counts is Eva's. Fuck these parasitical ankle-biters.

mavs>spurs2
06-19-2007, 09:45 PM
I'd take him over gilbert arenas any day of the week.

Fixed.

td4mvp21
06-19-2007, 09:46 PM
Parker definitely deserved the Finals MVP. He's worked his ass off ever since he became a Spurs player and has improved his game each year. It was really weird not seeing Tim get it though :lol.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
06-19-2007, 10:12 PM
Manu = John
Tim = George
Tony = Paul
Bruce = Ringo

rob5
06-19-2007, 11:18 PM
Manu is better liked because he reaches out to the fans and Parker doesn't. We're season tickets holders and I've never seen Parker go to any season ticket holder event where he's not required to go. On the other hand, Manu is there almost all the time.
They're both great players, I think it's just that Manu is more fan friendly.