PDA

View Full Version : The U.S. is Burning...

Nbadan
07-06-2007, 01:13 PM
http://wwwa.accuweather.com/publicgfx/usustodheatindex.jpg

The ocean is having a hard time cooling costal regions contributing to high temps all the way to Canada, but global warming isn't real, so

PARTY ON! :elephant

Yonivore
07-06-2007, 01:14 PM

The ocean is having a hard time cooling costal regions contributing to high temps all the way to Canada, but global warming isn't real, so

Manmade global warming isn't real. Carry on.

Nbadan
07-06-2007, 01:18 PM
Yeah, global warming just happens - 'Blame it on the Sun Republicans' tm

Yonivore
07-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Yeah, global warming just happens - 'Blame it on the Sun Republicans' tm
:lmao Yeah, the sun has a habit of heating things up.

fyatuk
07-06-2007, 01:42 PM
:lmao Yeah, the sun has a habit of heating things up.

Actually, the suns contribution to the temperature pales in comparison to the earth's molten core, and most periods of global warming and cooling are most likely primarily caused by shifts in the magnetic fields and the earth's changing axial tilt.

But I love that this map is supposed to convince us of global warming, when man-made global warming has been attributed something like a 1.2 degree celsius increase. Like 4 degrees F at most. Wouldn't make a very big difference on that map.

A better show would be to show the temperatures below freezing during winter in either hemisphere from a polar viewpoint, since that is by far more important to the cataclysmic events alarmists predict.

Nbadan
07-06-2007, 01:51 PM
But I love that this map is supposed to convince us of global warming, when man-made global warming has been attributed something like a 1.2 degree celsius increase. Like 4 degrees F at most. Wouldn't make a very big difference on that map.

There's no exact science that is gonna tell you some mathematical ratio between man-made versus global created climate change, the only thing we can do is look at it's effects so far - receeding glaciers, melting poles, warming ocean temps to know that somethings not right. Whatever your opinions on the cause, the costs/benefits of acting on a false assumption (that man can affect temp change) are much less than failing to act on a assumption that turns out to be very real...

Yonivore
07-06-2007, 01:56 PM
There's no exact science that is gonna tell you some mathematical ratio between man-made versus global created climate change, the only thing we can do is look at it's effects so far - receeding glaciers, melting poles, warming ocean temps to know that somethings not right.
How do we know it's not right? Hasn't the earth been warmer than it is now? Indeed, hasn't the earth been cooler than it is now, as well?

From what perspective do you draw the conclusion that something isn't right? Simply because humans, in their limited experience on this billions of years old planet are experiencing a change in climate that, in all likelihood, has occurred before -- more than once?

Whatever your opinions on the cause, the costs/benefits of acting on a false assumption (that man can affect temp change) are much less than failing to act on a assumption that turns out to be very real...
Actually, a little warming would increase the growing seasons in a lot of places. Algore-ish cataclysms are the far-out speculation of a mad man.

fyatuk
07-06-2007, 02:03 PM
There's no exact science that is gonna tell you some mathematical ratio between man-made versus global created climate change, the only thing we can do is look at it's effects so far - receeding glaciers, melting poles, warming ocean temps to know that somethings not right. Whatever your opinions on the cause, the costs/benefits of acting on a false assumption (that man can affect temp change) are much less than failing to act on a assumption that turns out to be very real...

I'm not arguing that point. I'm a firm believer in "it's better to be safe than sorry", and the world is doing exactly that. Heck, the US has cut projected carbon emissions by a greater percentage than most of the Kyoto countries. There's no doubt that we should work to cut emissions.

I was just pointing out that the map you provide, of hot temperatures of a single day in summer, is useless to prove this point. The map would have looked nearly identical 50 years ago.

If you show a polar view at winter showing below freezing temperatures between now and 50 years ago, you would get a much clearer picture of the effects the slight rise in temperature would have.

Though I still like the fact that global temperatures would have to rise at the same rate for something like the next 200 years to be equivalent to the warmest temperatures have been since "society" began 8000 years ago.

Which is why I don't feel the changes to reduce carbon emissions need to be forced.

xrayzebra
07-06-2007, 03:01 PM

Hey dan, you dummy, how do you like the nice cool
summer we are having here in San Antonio? Is that
because of "global warming". If so bring it back next
year, will you. I haven't had to water the old lawn
all summer and here we are in July........

And I hate to break it to you, but that is dessert
country and it "trends" to get a little warm there
in the summer. Ever hear of Death Valley. Just
checking.

xrayzebra
07-06-2007, 03:03 PM

Hey dummy, what is normal temperature for earth. Do you have any idea. I thought not, google hard, really hard.
You wont find it.

fyatuk
07-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Hey dan, you dummy, how do you like the nice cool
summer we are having here in San Antonio? Is that
because of "global warming". If so bring it back next
year, will you. I haven't had to water the old lawn
all summer and here we are in July........

And I hate to break it to you, but that is dessert
country and it "trends" to get a little warm there
in the summer. Ever hear of Death Valley. Just
checking.

Actually there's some evidence that global warming has caused all the rainfall here. Shifting wind patterns, greater general humidity, etc. All should be side effects of global warming whether man caused or not.

xrayzebra
07-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Actually there's some evidence that global warming has caused all the rainfall here. Shifting wind patterns, greater general humidity, etc. All should be side effects of global warming whether man caused or not.

Okay, I will still accept the nice rain and cool summer,
well for Texas, it hasn't even hit 95 yet, as I recall, but
we still have a lot of summer left. Oooooppps, I said
left. :lol

And the earth may well be heating up, but I don't think
man has a lot to do with it. Man is just too blasted
vain and wants to take credit for things where no credit
is due.

Oh, Gee!!
07-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Why do I imagine that Xray looks like Grandpa Simpson?

xrayzebra
07-06-2007, 03:42 PM

Is he goodlooking too? (or is it also).

Oh, Gee!!
07-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Is he goodlooking too?

http://www.simpsonstrivia.com.ar/simpsons-photos/wallpapers/abe-simpson.gif

Yonivore
07-06-2007, 03:49 PM
I think the bigger question is why do you imagine what Xray looks like, at all?

xrayzebra
07-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Yeah and Yoni he gives us a link that has the bandwidth of a
human hair. It keeps timing out........sheeeeesh.

Oh, Gee!!
07-06-2007, 03:57 PM
http://www.simpsonstrivia.com.ar/simpsons-photos/wallpapers/abe-simpson.gif

Yonivore
07-06-2007, 04:03 PM
Again, seriously, why is XRay's appearance even crossing your mind?

Oh, Gee!!
07-06-2007, 04:07 PM
cuz he's insane.

Yonivore
07-06-2007, 04:13 PM
cuz he's insane.
You mean, insane, in a good way?

xrayzebra
07-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Is there a doctor in the house?http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z273/xrayzebra/DocIsIn.jpg

Sportcamper
07-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Hal is one of these guys...Thompson .45...Leather neck...Flushing the bad guys out of the foxhole...

(While some hippie type stays home with his “give peace a chance bumper sticker")... :lol
http://www.modelguns.co.uk/images/M1A1Ryan.jpg

Wild Cobra
07-06-2007, 05:41 PM

There are more likely other factors attributing to the ocean's warmth if that's the case. With the greater than normal Arctic melting, the ocean currents are affected. The fresh water changes the density and flow.

Remember. Everything in nature has cycles. To conclude that it is all caused by man is rather ignorant.

Everything I have studied about global warming tells me it is primarily driven by various sun activities. The only man-made warming that can be agreed on in the scientific community is China's burning of coal in the quantities and lack of cleanliness that they do it by. Soot is depositing on the northern ice and melting from the extra heat the black absorbs. With less reflective ice and more absorbing ocean water, the earth is keeping more energy from the sun! This is most probably why the ocean is warming!

CO2 has absolutely no effect on adding to troposphere heat. It increases heat at a lower altitude, but all historical satellite temperature measurements of the troposphere remain unchanged. It can attribute to more severe weather in theory.

Never see the alarmists tell us about the troposphere’s temperature, now do we? If CO2 causing global warming was real, we would see it in troposphere temperature readings. But no…. The alarmists like to use thermometers, which are influenced by urban growth.

Jamtas#2
07-06-2007, 07:36 PM

This is just not good reasoning. If you believe that it is, prepare yourself for when it is cold to hear how false global warming is.

Yonivore
07-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Meanwhile back at Reality Ranch Algore has an op-ed (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/01/opinion/01gore.html?ei=5090&en=b53eb681db2b0e17&ex=1340942400&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=all) in Sunday's New York Times:

Consider this tale of two planets. Earth and Venus are almost exactly the same size, and have almost exactly the same amount of carbon. The difference is that most of the carbon on Earth is in the ground--having been deposited there by various forms of life over the last 600 million years--and most of the carbon on Venus is in the atmosphere.

As a result, while the average temperature on Earth is a pleasant 59 degrees, the average temperature on Venus is 867 degrees. True, Venus is closer to the Sun than we are, but the fault is not in our star; Venus is three times hotter on average than Mercury, which is right next to the Sun. It's the carbon dioxide.
Well, the atmosphere on Mars is 95% carbon dioxide, just shy of Venus's 96%. (The Earth's atmosphere, by contrast, is less than 0.04% CO2.) Average temperature on Mars? Eighty-one below zero.

Then, Agence France-Presse reports (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=070705191403.gahmdtoi&show_article=1):

Scientists who probed two kilometers (1.2 miles) through a Greenland glacier to recover the oldest plant DNA on record said Thursday the planet was far warmer hundreds of thousands of years ago than is generally believed.
If scientists have such difficulty predicting past weather, surely we should be skeptical about politicians' predictions of future weather.

fyatuk
07-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Okay... Al comparing temperatures on Venus and Mercury is just asinine. The difference there is atmospheric thickness more than anything. Venus has an ground level atmospheric pressure of around 9000kpa, Mercury effectively zero. Even without Venus's atmosphere being mostly CO2, that thick of an atmosphere is going to trap a lot of heat, while the surface of mercury is directly exposed temperature of space (aka it can radiate the heat off faster).

Just in case anyone's curious, Mars has an atmospheric pressure of .03kpa, and Terra about 101kpa.

Yonivore
07-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Once again, I think it's time (http://www.crm114.com/algore/quiz.html).

Me? 42%

BradLohaus
07-06-2007, 11:53 PM
I'm no scientist, but why can't the causes of the last Ice Age, and of all the Ice Ages, be the same causes of the current change in global average temperature?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age#Causes_of_ice_ages

One of the causes is "Variation in the sun's energy output". I read an article in a newspaper the other day that said that the sun is producing more energy and heat than ever before in recorded history, although that's probably not a very long time. Because of this, temperatures are rising on all planets in the solar system, all the way to Neptune. Could that be a sufficient explanation for the increase in temperatures on Earth?

Yonivore
07-07-2007, 12:00 AM
I'm no scientist, but why can't the causes of the last Ice Age, and of all the Ice Ages, be the same causes of the current change in global average temperature?
Because, there's no money, babes, or Oscars in it.

One of the causes is "Variation in the sun's energy output". I read an article in a newspaper the other day that said that the sun is producing more energy and heat than ever before in recorded history, although that's probably not a very long time. Because of this, temperatures are rising on all planets in the solar system, all the way to Neptune. Could that be a sufficient explanation for the increase in temperatures on Earth?
Yes.

Wild Cobra
07-07-2007, 03:56 AM
Once again, I think it's time (http://www.crm114.com/algore/quiz.html).

Me? 42%
Beat you....

I got a whopping 50%!

It really bothers me how much the two think alike....

gtownspur
07-07-2007, 11:26 AM
I got 58%

BradLohaus
07-07-2007, 03:36 PM
I got 42%. Not only were the ideas all the same, but so was the writing style. Creepy.

cherylsteele
07-07-2007, 04:07 PM

This chart says heat index.....to me that means it is taking into account the humidity as well....so it really isn't a true reading....it just feels hot to the skin.....just like wind chill in the winter.

If someone believes in global warming, fine......if it leads to less pollution in some way.....then go for it.

Wild Cobra
07-08-2007, 04:43 AM
Actually, the suns contribution to the temperature pales in comparison to the earth's molten core,
I lost those numbers. Can you source, or recall what the earths temperature would be with no solar radiation?

and most periods of global warming and cooling are most likely primarily caused by shifts in the magnetic fields and the earth's changing axial tilt.
That's an interesting theory, and one I haven't seen. I'm not disputing it, just haven't seen the theory. Can you direct me somewhere?

I think that is a real stretch myself. Since I learned even more about the effects of CO2, I cannot see man-made warming any more than maybe 0.2 Celsius.

Wild Cobra
07-08-2007, 04:44 AM
I got 42%. Not only were the ideas all the same, but so was the writing style. Creepy.
Agreed. I thought I would be smart and pick them by the writing style...

That sure didn't work...

Wild Cobra
07-08-2007, 06:06 AM
I found an excellent piece of work compiled with source after source by a guy calling himself “The Internet Skeptic.” Links:

Website (http://www.stopdumbingdown.com/index.htm)

Global Warming on Powerpoint (http://www.stopdumbingdown.com/GWP.ppt)

Don’t rush to judgment spouting propaganda until you do some research please. Study the power point presentation, check some of the sources, and use your brain…

fyatuk
07-08-2007, 06:43 AM
I lost those numbers. Can you source, or recall what the earths temperature would be with no solar radiation?

That's an interesting theory, and one I haven't seen. I'm not disputing it, just haven't seen the theory. Can you direct me somewhere?

I think that is a real stretch myself. Since I learned even more about the effects of CO2, I cannot see man-made warming any more than maybe 0.2 Celsius.

I'll have to see if I can track it down (I don't keep track of sources and it's nothing something I've looked at recently). I do believe I've read somewhere (I believe recently, on wikipedia) that without the Sun's heat, Earth would be somewhere around -18 C, a temperature not condusive to life. I'll see if I can find sources.

With the temperature change, I was going with total change, and a high estimate at that, not man-made change, since that cannot be determined since we don't even know what all the factors are. I think the number generally used is actually about 0.8 C in the last 75 years or so, but I'm not completely sure.

Wild Cobra
07-08-2007, 12:49 PM
I do believe I've read somewhere (I believe recently, on wikipedia) that without the Sun's heat, Earth would be somewhere around -18 C, a temperature not condusive to life.
It would be far colder than that. -18 might be the temperiture without any greenhouse gasses. Absolute zero is -273.15 C. The core is the only thing keeping the earth from cooling to that point with no incoming heat.

Nbadan
07-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Don't blame the Sun...

A new scientific study concludes that changes in the Sun's output cannot be causing modern-day climate change.

It shows that for the last 20 years, the Sun's output has declined, yet temperatures on Earth have risen.

It also shows that modern temperatures are not determined by the Sun's effect on cosmic rays, as has been claimed.

Writing in the Royal Society's journal Proceedings A, the researchers say cosmic rays may have affected climate in the past, but not the present.

"This should settle the debate," said Mike Lockwood, from the UK's Rutherford-Appleton Laboratory, who carried out the new analysis together with Claus Froehlich from the World Radiation Center in Switzerland.

BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6290228.stm)

Wild Cobra
07-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Don't blame the Sun...

BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6290228.stm)
OK, we have more scientists covering up their poor position. So what.

A new scientific study concludes that changes in the Sun's output cannot be causing modern-day climate change.
Bullshit. They are either incompetent, liars, or misinterpreting the data.

The average output of the sun has not changed hardly at all over approximately the last 50 years. The recorded history and proxy isotopes clearly show dramatic changes in the average before about 1950 and coincide with past historical warming and cooling trends.

As for modern day warming, there is a lag time of several years between cause and effect. The more massive the component being warmed, the longer the time lag. Our modern day warming can easily, and likely is, the result of the last 50 years of higher solar activity than the activity before that timeframe.

It shows that for the last 20 years, the Sun's output has declined, yet temperatures on Earth have risen.
Declined? Not by anything worth mentioning. In 1981, the solar output peaked at about 1366.6 watts per meter. 1990 was about 1366.5 and 2001 was slightly lower by about 0.02 watts, maybe 1366.48. The minimums were 1365.5 in 1976, maybe 0.01 higher in 1986 at 1365.51, About 1365.48 in 1997, and about 1365.4 in 2006.

What is this? A trend of about 0.1 watts lower over 30 years with about a 1366 average. Anyone think that a 0.0073% decrease is significant?

Those of us claiming it's the sun are talking about more significant output changes. Look at the difference occurring about 1950 on this chart:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/17/Solar_Forcing_GISS_model.gif

Note the average increases by about .2 watts of forcing. Forcing is a different measurement than incoming radiation and it is not a 1:1 relationship. I approximate the change to be about 2 watts just by visual comparisons. Now 2 watts change from a 1366 is 0.15%. That may not seem significant either, but is a factor of 20 times that these scientists are trying to convince others doesn't exist. Also, 0.15% on our current global average temperature is a 0.43 C change (0.78 F.) Isn't that about how much global warming is estimated at?

Now back to time lag. The solar radiation hitting the land causes nearly direct changes in temperature. Since so many other factors come to play, it is not directly observable. The majority of the earth is water. These temperature changes have a lag time of decades, maybe centuries. Even though we have seen a minute decline in solar output, the oceans are still influencing current change from the extra energy they started receiving about a hundred years ago, ending 50 years ago!

It also shows that modern temperatures are not determined by the Sun's effect on cosmic rays, as has been claimed.
Who claimed that they had an effect of temperature? I haven't seen any claims other than increased precipitation from increased cosmic rays.

Writing in the Royal Society's journal Proceedings A, the researchers say cosmic rays may have affected climate in the past, but not the present.
This point doesn't matter anyway.

"This should settle the debate," said Mike Lockwood, from the UK's Rutherford-Appleton Laboratory, who carried out the new analysis together with Claus Froehlich from the World Radiation Center in Switzerland.
I wonder if their grant money runs out when global warming is shown to be uncontrollable by man?

---- added note ----

The 0.43 C is based on real science with the false assumption the earth would cool to absolute zero in a short time with no external heat/radiation. The core will keep the earth at some cold temperiture probably about -200 celcius. That gives a 215 degree range for 100% instead of a 288 degree range and is actually about a 0.32 C temperiture change for solar warming alone.