PDA

View Full Version : Nothing Happening for Matt Barnes

E20
07-13-2007, 12:37 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/-Nothing-happening-for-Warriors-free-agent-Bar?urn=nba,39131

'Nothing happening' for Warriors' free agent Barnes
Friday, Jul 13, 2007 11:24 am EDT

Getty Images
Golden State Warriors' forward Matt Barnes said he has not received the offers he anticipated after a breakthrough season.

"Right now, there's nothing happening," he said. "I was thinking the midlevel exception was realistic, but my agent has been telling me teams have questioned whether the success I had was because of (Warriors coach Don) Nelson's system and whether or not I could have the same success in another system."

Source: Sacramento Bee

TDMVPDPOY
07-13-2007, 12:39 PM
should give this dude a try a seriously...

urunobili
07-13-2007, 12:39 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/-Nothing-happening-for-Warriors-free-agent-Bar?urn=nba,39131

'Nothing happening' for Warriors' free agent Barnes
Friday, Jul 13, 2007 11:24 am EDT

Getty Images
Golden State Warriors' forward Matt Barnes said he has not received the offers he anticipated after a breakthrough season.

"Right now, there's nothing happening," he said. "I was thinking the midlevel exception was realistic, but my agent has been telling me teams have questioned whether the success I had was because of (Warriors coach Don) Nelson's system and whether or not I could have the same success in another system."

Source: Sacramento Bee

take Jackson out of that photo and put Bowen to make it perfect!

Spurs Dynasty 21
07-13-2007, 01:08 PM
please God let the Spurs land him

in fact if they could land Barnes, WHICH THE SPURS WON'T, the Scola gift to the Rockets would of actually been good

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-13-2007, 01:11 PM
I wouldn't object to signing him if Udoka falls through.

Kori Ellis
07-13-2007, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't object to signing him if Udoka falls through.

:lol It's funny that anyone would want Udoka before Barnes.

(By the way, I don't think the Spurs will get Barnes)

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 01:15 PM
Hopefully they pull one of those two out of this summer.

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 01:17 PM
I don't think they'll even look at Barnes.

Kori Ellis
07-13-2007, 01:19 PM
I don't think they'll even look at Barnes.

They do almost every summer, so I don't know why they'd stop now :lol

ploto
07-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Fegan is his new agent.

SenorSpur
07-13-2007, 01:22 PM

All I've been hearing the past couple of summers is how Barnes prefers to play on the West coast. If that's true, don't get your hopes up.

Kori Ellis
07-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Fegan is his new agent.

I know that. But I don't think that would stop them from talking to him if they want to. They talked to other players with Fegan.

Kori Ellis
07-13-2007, 01:24 PM
All I've been hearing the past couple of summers is how Barnes prefers to play on the West coast. If that's true, don't get your hopes up.

Yeah, I know. I'm the one that says that every summer over and over :lol I don't have my hopes up because of that. But I'm sure the Spurs will talk to him as always.

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 01:24 PM

They look at him and say, "Wouldn't it be nice to get him at 20% market value?"

greens
07-13-2007, 04:30 PM
I really wish the Spurs can sign him! Any chance at all of that happening now since it seems that no one offered Matt anything substantial?

I don't think Matt Barnes would mind playing on a championship team...I know in the past, he didn't want to play here. Maybe now he changed his mind...

MoSpur
07-13-2007, 04:32 PM
I read somewhere that James Posey was weighing an offer from Golden State. If he chooses to go there, how many small forwards would that give the Warriors?

ShoogarBear
07-13-2007, 04:34 PM
UCLA!

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 04:45 PM
I read somewhere that James Posey was weighing an offer from Golden State. If he chooses to go there, how many small forwards would that give the Warriors?

More than us.

timvp
07-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Udoka for $9M > Barnes for $18-20M or whatever he ends up getting.

SenorSpur
07-13-2007, 04:57 PM

Are you saying Udoka is a better defender than Barnes?

greens
07-13-2007, 05:02 PM

Judging by the article posted above...I doubt Matt will get such high offers. It sounds like he didn't get offered much of anything at all...

So the Spurs might be able to get him at a good price.

timvp
07-13-2007, 05:06 PM
Are you saying Udoka is a better defender than Barnes?

Barnes is a different type of defender. Udoka is like Bowen in that he can guard anywhere from slower point guards to bigger small forwards. Barnes is a long small forward who guards small forward or power forwards.

For example, Barnes can't guard Kobe. Then again, Udoka can't guard Dirk.

It's a different type of player.

ShoogarBear
07-13-2007, 05:15 PM
For example, Barnes can't guard Kobe. Then again, Udoka can't guard Dirk.
Thus underlining the uniqueness of Bowen. (Not to mention he can guard Nash, too.)

I suppose only Tayshuan is as versatile. And Artest when he's on Planet Earht.

whottt
07-13-2007, 08:48 PM
What if we can be to Barnes what the Hawks were to Jack? The Fegan bail out...

Could happen...

Barnes for the vet min for a year?

lefty
07-13-2007, 08:49 PM
Maybe we freed some $$$$ to get Barnes ; we'll see.....

AFBlue
07-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Maybe we freed some $$$$ to get Barnes ; we'll see.....

Spurs freed less than $3M of actual salary and are still not below the luxury tax threshold. Any money used to sign Barnes, Udoka, or any other free agent will be taxed on a dollar-for-dollar basis.

lefty
07-13-2007, 08:55 PM
Spurs freed less than $3M of actual salary and are still not below the luxury tax threshold. Any money used to sign Barnes, Udoka, or any other free agent will be taxed on a dollar-for-dollar basis.

Damn ; that changes everything

Help A Brother Out
07-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Matt Barnes likely has his genitals pierced.

lefty
07-13-2007, 09:08 PM
The real question is : will Matt Barnes fit in the Spurs systems ? he was succesful in GS, but It might not be the case in SA

E20
07-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Matt Barnes is a replica of SJax. I was fond of him when he was playing w/ GS and it would be sick to see him don a Spurs jersey.

tsb2000
07-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Matt Barnes is a replica of SJax. I was fond of him when he was playing w/ GS and it would be sick to see him don a Spurs jersey.

That would be a good thing, since SJax caught fire in the finals in 2003 and was a big part in winning the championship. Both players have a lot of guts, and that can't be taught.

On the other hand, I think Barnes might be just a tad past the tattoo allotment per player for the Spurs. :)

bigfundamental21
07-13-2007, 10:14 PM
It would be great if we could get Barnes. I know he fit well in the GS/Nelson system, but he is a pretty good defender. He can also hit the three and is fast. I hope the FO at least makes a call to him to find out if he would be interested in coming here.

MI21
07-14-2007, 01:29 AM
Matt Barnes reminds me of a younger Horry, for some reason.

xmas1997
07-14-2007, 08:45 AM
please God let the Spurs land him

in fact if they could land Barnes, WHICH THE SPURS WON'T, the Scola gift to the Rockets would of actually been good

No, no matter how many ways people try to "spin" the Scola/Butler move to division rival Houston, it is still a "stupid" move and NOT a "good" thing to have done, regardless of what or whom we get later!

Spurs FO have not always made good moves in the past i.e. Elliott trade, David Robinson low-ball, etc. all the way back to trading away Ice, it still was not a "good" thing.
In light of that, we move onward as the defending champs who still need to address that long SF position to eventually replace Bowen.
Pietrus?
Udoka?
Barnes?
Anybody? :p:

Russ
07-14-2007, 08:54 AM
This guy was on 10 day contracts only a year ago.

He got caught up in the Warriors hot streak and now he is way overvalued.

whottt
07-14-2007, 09:06 AM
Matt Barnes reminds me of a younger Horry, for some reason.

He reminds me of Rodman...before Rodman turned into a total freak.

whottt
07-14-2007, 09:07 AM
This guy was on 10 day contracts only a year ago.

He got caught up in the Warriors hot streak and now he is way overvalued.

He kicked Dallas' ass....he played some nice D on Dirk. I don't know if I'd give the guy the MLE...but he's sign worthy...and as Kori has mentioned...the Spurs have had an interest in him for a while now.

LaMarcus Bryant
07-14-2007, 09:12 AM
Ehhhhh why don't we just throw him some bones?

inconvertible
07-14-2007, 09:45 AM
tattoos are hurting him.....they are a fad thats time has past......people are starting to find them revolting and stupid.

Gros Membres!
07-14-2007, 09:48 AM
tattoos are hurting him.....they are a fad thats time has past......people are starting to find them revolting and stupid.
Last time I checked there are tatoo parlors everywhere. I happen to live in a community where body art is the norm. Check back in with reality.

That being said, I see Bonner as a cheaper white-bred Barnes in terms of hustle, stretching the floor from the PF position.