PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the Spurs are getting Udoka

Pages : [1] 2

tlongII
07-13-2007, 02:48 PM
http://mikebarrettsblog.blogspot.com/2007/07/aldridge-on-courtside.html

About 9 million over 3 years. He's a great guy and deserves the money. The Blazers won't want to spend that much to keep him as he is older than their core players. He's a great pickup for the Spurs though!

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 02:49 PM
Thank God.

timvp
Nice.

:smokin

L.I.T
Ok, I hope this turns official.

picnroll
Nahhh. Holt will never spend that money. - Marcus Bryant

Solid D
07-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Thanks, tlong. Good times.

Marcus Bryant
MB's ass smells good. - picnroll

Budkin
Maybe there was something else to the bullshit trade we just made then. I don't know much about this guy. How do people here feel about him?

MoSpur
07-13-2007, 02:51 PM
Good. They must not have that much trust in Marcus Williams and James White. I'm glad to hear this. I would have liked Outlaw better, but this is nice.

Kori Ellis
Last year the Spurs thought about this guy and chose Melvin Sanders over him. This year, they are paying him $9M. :lol

"Ime Udoka received a workout and a hard look from the Spurs before they decided to go with Melvin Sanders."

El_Mago
I know TIMVP and I have been supporting this move.

I firmly believed the Spurs would stand pat and not sign any huge free agent, but if they did, I figured it would of been Udoka.

Spurs tend to sign players on the cheap, under the radar, and hope they blossom.

Should be a good move.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Maybe there was something else to the bullshit trade we just made then. I don't know much about this guy. How do people here feel about him?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73697

Dingle Barry
I've never even heard of this guy.

timvp
3-years, $9M is a nice contract for Udoka. For a guy who started most games last year who fits almost exactly where Bowen fits on the court, it's a great move.

He was my first option this summer as far as players who could be had for a reasonable contract.

objective
nothing like a 6'5" guy to add to the roster.

War Udoka!

MoSpur
07-13-2007, 02:53 PM
What about Blake as a backup?

tlongII
07-13-2007, 02:53 PM

He plays great defense and he can nail the corner three. Perfect replacement for Bowen when he hangs it up.

timvp
07-13-2007, 02:54 PM
As far as unrestricted free agents, the two I like most for the Spurs are James Posey and Ime Udoka. Posey for a starting salary at around $3M would be nice. However, he probably gets more.

Udoka would be an absolutely perfect Bowen replacement ... except for the fact that he's 6-foot-5. Udoka can defend, rebound a little bit, decent pass, doesn't turn the ball over and is a +40% three point shooter. He's had the same type of career that Bowen had before joining the Spurs and he's the same age that Bowen was when the Spurs signed him.

Portland has said they want him back but after they drafted like 38 players, I'm not sure they have the room. If the Spurs could get him for a couple million, he'd be a pretty decent signing. His only drawback is his height, but if he were 6-foot-7 he'd cost two or three times as much.

Another thing about Udoka is he shoots most of his shots from the corner threes just like Bowen ... and Udoka hit those shots at a 42% clip this past season.

Solid D
07-13-2007, 02:54 PM
3-years, $9M is a nice contract for Udoka. For a guy who started most games last year who fits almost exactly where Bowen fits on the court, it's a great move.

He was my first option this summer as far as players who could be had for a reasonable contract.

True and it's the only thing that flagged at making sense out of the dumping of Butler and Scola...per our discussions on this last night.

Kori Ellis
07-13-2007, 02:56 PM
He's a good defender and has long arms for his height. But he's about 6'5, I think. He's not the coveted "long 3" but he'd be a good younger swing player in the mix.

Dingle Barry
07-13-2007, 02:56 PM
I'd be really excited about this guy if he weren't already 30 years old

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Ime goes to San Antonio to learn the art under the Master.

timvp
07-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Although the Spurs still need a long three, I think the search for a replacement of what Bowen does ends if the Spurs sign Udoka. Of course Bowen is a legendary defender and it'd be a joke to compare Udoka's D to Bowen's, but this is the only player I saw available this summer who could become the next Bowen and not cost $20M+.

EVAY
07-13-2007, 02:58 PM
Let's hope the deal is not final. Let's hope that Portland requires $3mil. AND BENO. Now THAT would be a good off-season move. I can't believe we're gonna hang on to Beno, no matter WHAT he has promised the FO. He has made lots of promises (like a signing a contract that requires him to play basketball whenever asked to) before and never made good on them. This is a guy who simply doesn't seem to want to pay attention to what he is doing when he is put into a game.

tlongII

I think the Spurs are concentrating on winning a couple more titles NOW. Not the future. That's what I would do if I were them as well.

Budkin
Ok well I'm a little less mad about the trade then I guess. Thanks for the links and info guys, not sure how I missed that thread before.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 02:59 PM
This would be a very nice signing. The Spurs won't have to switch up their defense once Bowen leaves.

Solid D
07-13-2007, 02:59 PM
He has the physicality, size and defensive abilities of Mario Elie, although not the same leadership on the court. I'm not sure he could guard Dirk on the perimeter but he wouldn't back down from him either.

Dingle Barry
07-13-2007, 03:00 PM
I think the Spurs are concentrating on winning a couple more titles NOW. Not the future. That's what I would do if I were them as well.
Good point. Sometimes I try to delude myself that Duncan is going to play another ten years.

timvp
True and it's the only thing that flagged at making sense out of the dumping of Butler and Scola...per our discussions on this last night.

If this becomes officially, it takes some of the sting away from the trade of yesterday. That trade still sucks but at least the Spurs apparently didn't sit on the money

Buddy Holly

The same age as Bowen when we signed him?

timvp
07-13-2007, 03:01 PM
This would be a very nice signing. The Spurs won't have to switch up their defense once Bowen leaves.

Exactly.

Or their offense. This guy shots (and makes) most of his shots from the corners just like Bowen.

tlongII
I would also say that outside of Brandon Roy, Udoka was the most consistent player on the Blazers last season. We will miss him.

Marcus Bryant
If this becomes officially, it takes some of the sting away from the trade of yesterday. That trade still sucks but at least the Spurs apparently didn't sit on the money

Until we find out it's a S&T...

objective
does this signal the end of the Brent Barry era?

SlovenianGuy
07-13-2007, 03:02 PM
He's a good defender and has long arms for his height. But he's about 6'5, I think. He's not the coveted "long 3" but he'd be a good younger swing player in the mix.

The Spurs are the only team in the league that considers 30 years old player as being young.

MoSpur
07-13-2007, 03:03 PM
30 isn't that old. Its only a three year deal.

Solid D

Remember your comments yesterday in the Udoka thread?

Yeah, looking at it with the Holt Cat glasses on, only way the Spurs offer that is if they are able to unload both Barry and Butler for nothing. No way the Spurs pay $6M this year for Udoka to be the fifth wing.

Sub Scola for Barry in your sentence and drop the money down $3M over 3 years and there you go.

michaelwcho

Marcus,
with respect, you have made about 100 posts in the last day trashing the FO for the Butler/Scola trade. My question is, are you feeling hungry? :)

www.birding.in/images/Birds/rajiv/jungle_crow.jpg

duncan228
Ime goes to San Antonio to learn the art under the Master.

:spin Right out of Bowen's Web Site: "Mastering The Art Of Defense."

http://www.brucebowen.com/

timvp
07-13-2007, 03:05 PM
Holt Cat Apologists should hold off until this becomes official. The source we have at the moment is a blog.

'nuff said.

Mr. Body
He's 30, had one decent year, and is about 4" shorter than what we need at the position. Whoopee.

AFBlue
So the Spurs cut $2.75M in cap space by subtracting Butler, but then put it back on, and then some, by adding Udoka?

What the hell is the front office doing?

IMO, this going through plus the Ludden comments about White, will all but seal his fate with the Spurs. White is as good as gone.

AFBlue
$6M for Ime Udoka!

AFBlue
07-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Would it be safe to say...

Udoka = Poor Man's Raja Bell

???

Admidave50
07-13-2007, 03:06 PM
Nice move if it's done, it will ease the pain from yesterday's trade

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Holt Cat Apologists should hold off until this becomes official. The source we have at the moment is a blog.

'nuff said.

Right. Spurs trade Barry and the rights to Mahinmi, Splitter, Sanikidze, Karaulov, and Javtokas to Portland...

tlongII
07-13-2007, 03:08 PM

'nuff said.

A blog by the Blazers' media guy Mike Barrett. Pretty reliable imo.

Solid D
07-13-2007, 03:09 PM
A blog by the Blazers' media guy Mike Barrett. Pretty reliable imo.

That's what separates you from Jim, tlong. Your golf game (allegedly) and you provide links. :lol

leemajors
07-13-2007, 03:09 PM
hopefully the extra 20 pounds will help against bigger sfs on d when bowen goes to the bench.

timvp
07-13-2007, 03:10 PM
Even though I like Udoka, the moves over the last 24 hours don't make much sense. The Spurs were so desperate to get under the luxury tax, they got owned by the Rockets. But now they are going right back over the luxury tax to the point they were just at?

There has to be more to the story.

Budkin
I would also say that outside of Brandon Roy, Udoka was the most consistent player on the Blazers last season. We will miss him.

I doubt you will miss him much. The Blazers are going to be awesome for years to come.

Kori Ellis
I'm guessing Barry has to be on his way out. The Spurs aren't going to stockpile all these wings.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Even though I like Udoka, the moves over the last 24 hours don't make much sense. The Spurs were so desperate to get under the luxury tax, they got owned by the Rockets. But now they are going right back over the luxury tax to the point they were just at?

Could just be a re-allocation of their payroll, moving it from the bigs to the swingman rotation where they were looking a little light past next season.

MoSpur
Raja Bell is also 6'5" isn't he?

timvp
If this becomes true, imagine the wet dreams Pop will have with the thoughts of putting Bowen and Udoka on the floor at the same time.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 03:13 PM
If this becomes true, imagine the wet dreams Pop will have with the thoughts of putting Bowen and Udoka on the floor at the same time.

I was just thinking about that. Bowen could play for a couple more seasons and Udoka would only help to keep his minutes down during the regular season.

Budkin
07-13-2007, 03:13 PM

He'll always be sleeping on the wet spot.

timvp
07-13-2007, 03:14 PM

Yeah, same size as Raja Bell. Udoka might have a little longer arms, though.

Udoka is also mean. Does anyone else remember last year when Duncan and Udoka had to be seperated because Duncan got pissed at Udoka fighting too hard through a screen?

MannyIsGod
07-13-2007, 03:15 PM

:smokinBowen on Dirk - Udoka on Jhoward.

O.o

Kori Ellis
07-13-2007, 03:16 PM
Bowen on Dirk - Udoka on Jhoward.

O.o

Yeah there's a lot of other situations too -- AI/Carmelo, Bibby/Martin, etc.

Leetonidas
07-13-2007, 03:17 PM
I guess the whole "HOLT IS CHEAP!" shit can go out the window. I didn't know he was turning 30 next month though. I thought he was like 24 or 25. Still a good pickup though.

objective
07-13-2007, 03:17 PM

Raja Bell also only plays 2 guard with spot PG minutes.

K-State Spur
07-13-2007, 03:18 PM

Maybe they are willing to pay some tax, just not a lot of it. And if they feel Udoka is a better fit for next year's team than Butler/Scola - then it makes A LITTLE more sense. I still hate yesterday's trade (mainly because of what we got in return - at the very least we should have netted a second round pick for either of them, let alone both...), but I don't think Udoka necessarily changes the line of reasoning from the team's perspective for it.

timvp
Raja Bell also only plays 2 guard with spot PG minutes.

Raja Bell plays point guard? :lol

AFBlue
Unless a move is made with Barry that brings back a salary exception, Udoka would cost this club $6M next year.

Leetonidas
Scratch that, this is a sweet pickup. :smokin

I'm salavating at the thought of Udoka on Dirk and Bowen on Howard, or vice versa. AI and Melo, Pierce and Allen, switching off on James, T-Mac, Kobe...my God.

Solid D
07-13-2007, 03:20 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/blazers/011707_ime_article.jpg

Mr. Body
I guess the whole "HOLT IS CHEAP!" shit can go out the window. I didn't know he was turning 30 next month though. I thought he was like 24 or 25. Still a good pickup though.

Of course he's cheap. The Scola trade was a cheap-ass move.

MannyIsGod
Yesterday's trade still sucks balls. How on earth the Spurs couln't get a first rounder for both Scola and Butler is fucking BEYOND me.

vander
Unless a move is made with Barry that brings back a salary exception, Udoka would cost this club $6M next year.

how does that work? can you explain for me

objective
07-13-2007, 03:22 PM
Raja Bell plays point guard? :lol

Not very well and not often, but when he was signed he was going be their third guard as a combo, before Joe Johnson was traded and made him the full time 2.

Since then he may not handle it like a point guard but he will be on the court without Nash defacto.

Don't forget he guarded Parker in 03 for the Mavs when Van Exel was being a combo guard.

djohn14
07-13-2007, 03:24 PM
Maybe we made the trade yesterday just so we could get Udoka. Maybe Ian won't come here afterall.

Kori Ellis
Not very well and not often, but when he was signed he was going be their third guard as a combo, before Joe Johnson was traded and made him the full time 2.

Since then he may not handle it like a point guard but he will be on the court without Nash defacto.

Don't forget he guarded Parker in 03 for the Mavs when Van Exel was being a combo guard.

He might guard point guards, but he doesn't play point guard on offense.

Bruno
Udoka is far from being the mystical long SF. He has the Ginobili size and is a worse rebounder than him.
I hope Sprus will too go after a cheap SF/PF like Jumaine Jones.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Maybe we made the trade yesterday just so we could get Udoka. Maybe Ian won't come here afterall.

Mahinmi's salary would be $700K next year if he signs. Hopefully that's not a problem.

Kori Ellis
Udoka is far from being the mystical long SF. He has the Ginobili size and is a worse rebounder than him.

Yeah, he's not a long 3 at all. He's just another backup wing. Which is why I think they have to be dealing Barry.

timvp

Bell has never played point guard on offense in the NBA. He's defended point guards and has been on the court when someone like Boris Diaw was playing point guard, but Bell was never a PG.

Dingle Barry
07-13-2007, 03:27 PM
We must have found a pasture for Barry

timvp
07-13-2007, 03:27 PM

The mythical Long Three and the Bowen replacement didn't need to be one in the same. It would have been nice, but not mandatory.

spvrs
07-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Of course he's cheap. The Scola trade was a cheap-ass move.

Yeah Holt is one serious knee injury away from losing like 60 million dollars. Perfect sernario winning a championship team probably makes 10 million... I know 5 million to a guy like yourself is nothing but we are lucky as HELL to have Holt as the owner.

justanotherspursfan
07-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Could just be a re-allocation of their payroll, moving it from the bigs to the swingman rotation where they were looking a little light past next season.
Also, dumping a couple of prospects they didn't think were going to help us next year to clear room for a guy that will actually be in the rotation. It's nice to see that the FO has some desire to try and repeat, even though this isn't exactly an earth-shattering move or anything.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 03:30 PM
The mythical Long Three and the Bowen replacement didn't need to be one in the same. It would have been nice, but not mandatory.

Exactly.

And the league has been full of 6'8"+ tall perimeter players for some time now.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Also, dumping a couple of prospects they didn't think were going to help us next year to clear room for a guy that will actually be in the rotation. It's nice to see that the FO has some desire to try and repeat, even though this isn't exactly an earth-shattering move or anything.

Was signing Bowen to a minimum contract in 2001 "earth-shattering"?

Bruno
07-13-2007, 03:33 PM

I even think that it can't be the same. The Bowen replacement should be able to defend SG like Kobe or Wade (Manu can't defend on them). Finding a SF/PF able to defend on SG like Wade/Kobe is borderline impossible.

ducks
07-13-2007, 03:39 PM
good enough tell victor is ready

justanotherspursfan
Yeah, he's not a long 3 at all. He's just another backup wing. Which is why I think they have to be dealing Barry.
It wouldn't be the end of the world if we had to carry him as a 12th man. He's only got one year left, right?

If Udoka firms up and we bring in Mahinmi, this will have been a decent offseason, even though it it could have be better. Dumping Barry and Beno and finding a PG prospect would be good moves to pursue, but if the opportunities don't arise, I don't think it would be too big a problem. Better than having to force a move, like yesterday.

SpursFanFirst
I don't think this deserves it's own thread, so I'll ask the question here while everyone is around -
I was just on the HoopsHype website and noticed that Oberto isn't listed on the roster. Has he not officially re-signed at this point? I thought he had.

http://www.hoopshype.com/Library/teams/san_antonio.htm

timvp
I thought Udoka at 3-years, $12M was decent (that was the initial amount that it was reported that Udoka was going after). But now that it looks like it might be 3-years, $9M ... this could be a very nice signing.

I liked Solid D's comparison to Mario Elie minus the leadership.

objective
07-13-2007, 03:40 PM
I liked Solid D's comparison to Mario Elie minus the leadership.

does he at least have a grey goatee?

Bruno
07-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Udoka offensive game is better than Bowen's one.
I remember him playing great against the french NT in Japan last summer.

Tippecanoe
its official. james white sucks and will be gone

timvp
does he at least have a grey goatee?

No, but he's already gotten into Duncan's face. :hat

texasqb2
07-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Udoka/2nd Rd/$$$ for Butler/Scola

texasqb2
07-13-2007, 03:43 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?playerId=866

Put up some nice games....21 against LA with 5 threes....I am excited

justanotherspursfan
07-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Was signing Bowen to a minimum contract in 2001 "earth-shattering"?
Okay, this could turn out to be a huge move, if all the cards fall into place. But it's not like we've gone out and traded for Paul Pierce or something.

Not that we need to do a move of that caliber, but my point is that on the grand scale of possible personnel shakeups, this is fairly modest.

timvp
07-13-2007, 03:44 PM
its official. james white sucks and will be gone

I don't know if he sucks but White is gone. The Udoka signing ends White's chances.

I'd probably pick White over Williams but it'd be tough for the Spurs to cut a 33rd overall pick before his rookie year.

objective
07-13-2007, 03:47 PM
I'm sure Williams will have a nice time swapping stories with Chris Carrawell.

I'm not too excited over Udoka until I have a chance to review the Spurs-Blazer games tonight.

Even so, Linton Johnson was at the time a pickup that could have turned out great but didn't. So we'll just have to find out I guess.

Unless someone else signs him for more before the night is through.

dknights411
07-13-2007, 03:49 PM
It just might be worth clearing space up to get him. Let's hope the deal gets done!

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 03:49 PM
Linton Johnson couldn't put the biscuit in the basket from 5 feet away.

Very nice signing, fits the Spurs' system perfectly, and seems to be a very solid guy off the court. Spurs pick up another gem in the rough.

timvp
07-13-2007, 03:51 PM
I'm not too excited over Udoka until I have a chance to review the Spurs-Blazer games tonight.

Check the game in Portland near the end of the season where Duncan and Udoka had some sort of "misunderstanding".

I forgot if Manu's explosion in that game was against Udoka or someone else. If it was against Udoka, don't get too disheartened. Manu does it to the best of 'em.

:hat

MoSpur
07-13-2007, 03:59 PM
If this signing goes official, how many wings do the Spurs have on their roster?

Solid D
07-13-2007, 04:00 PM
The Spurs may not have gotten any younger for 2007-08.
The Spurs may not have gotten any more firepower for 2007-08.
however
The NBA's best defensive team may have just gotten better defensively.

MoSpur
07-13-2007, 04:02 PM
I say deal Barry and Beno to some other team for a long three w/an expiring contract

MoSpur
07-13-2007, 04:03 PM
How does this play into the whole 08-09 master plan if he does indeed sign for three years?

Reckless28
07-13-2007, 04:07 PM
is this the same guy that was hitting 3's on the spurs during one game in the regular season?

Bruno
07-13-2007, 04:08 PM
How does this play into the whole 08-09 master plan if he does indeed sign for three years?

The 08-09 master plan has never existed.

SMSpur
07-13-2007, 04:09 PM
The Spurs may not have gotten any younger for 2007-08.

The Spurs don't need to worry about getting younger, they need players to help them win while they have Duncan, Parker, and Manu.

The Spurs may not have gotten any more firepower for 2007-08.

When was the last time that Pop cared about offense.

however
The NBA's best defensive team may have just gotten better defensively.

And in the end, nothing makes Pop happier than playing great defense.... After all, he doesn't get upset at players for forcing shots, or anything else they could screw up on offense. But the minute you miss a defensive rotation, your butt is on the bench getting a good lecture.

Extra Stout
07-13-2007, 04:10 PM
The 2008 master plan was a fabrication of salary cap geeks.

jcrod
07-13-2007, 04:11 PM
He's 30, had one decent year, and is about 4" shorter than what we need at the position. Whoopee.

exactly! i'm not to thrilled myself. This doesn't help White, unless they unload Barry and we're still extremley short besides our PF and C positions.

sabar
07-13-2007, 04:12 PM
Bye White and Barry.
Beno will remain through this offseason somehow.

timvp
07-13-2007, 04:16 PM
This doesn't help White

White will be a Spur for about two more weeks.

MoSpur
07-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Beno better not remain.

Bruno
07-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Blazers have signed Blake. So they now don't have enough money to re-sign Udoka.

MoSpur
07-13-2007, 04:23 PM
So does Denver need a PG now?

ShoogarBear
07-13-2007, 04:23 PM
White will be a Spur for about two more weeks.Ime Udoka!

Reckless28
07-13-2007, 04:25 PM
denver is going to sign chucky atkins.

duncan228
07-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Ime Udoka!

ShoogarBear! :spin

justanotherspursfan
07-13-2007, 04:27 PM
denver is going to sign chucky atkins.
So that's a yes, then?

leemajors
07-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Blazers have signed Blake. So they now don't have enough money to re-sign Udoka.
any details on the deal, and why they re-signed him again? i thought jack was better all around personally.

edit: he was looking for the MLE, guess we'll have to wait on specifics.

bigdog
07-13-2007, 04:28 PM
if only Udoka was a couple of inches taller. either way he's a good defender and can shoot. again, this was reported on a blog, so we don't know if this is official yet. now we just need Barry and Beno gone. I think White will be cut too, but I don't want it to happen

MoSpur
07-13-2007, 04:29 PM
I forgot Denver signing Atkins. That means that they have filled their PG needs. I think.

Bruno
07-13-2007, 04:34 PM
any details on the deal, and why they re-signed him again? i thought jack was better all around personally.

I don't know the details of the deal.
I guess thay wanted a vet pass first PG to drive their young team. They have tons of PGs now : Jack, Blake, Rodriguez, Koponen (maybe he will stay in europe ?) and Taureen Green. :spin

SpursFanFirst
07-13-2007, 04:34 PM
Ime Udoka!

:lol

koopa
07-13-2007, 04:40 PM
hopefully this means brent will be traded cause he is fucking worthless......... and who cares if udoka is only 6'5..... if he can keep up with kobe, josh howard, t-mac, and other players of that nature and force them to take bad shoots then it doesn't matter.......... and if he can actually hit three's then we've improved cause brent can't hit three's or guard any of those players............. so i hope this signing does become offical........... hopefully elson will surprise us next season and keep up with dirk when we play them in the playoffs and we won't have to be so worried about getting this long three everyone cries for............

MoSpur
07-13-2007, 04:42 PM
I wouldn't mind the Spurs sending Beno and Barry to the Cavs for that Pavlovic guy.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 05:07 PM
I wouldn't mind the Spurs sending Beno and Barry to the Cavs for that Pavlovic guy.

Hmmm...what makes sense now is for the Spurs to dump Barry and pick up a traditional 3 for the minimum, like Jumaine Jones:

Starters
2 Finley
3 Bowen

Bench
2 Ginobili
2/3 Udoka
3 Jones

IR
2 Williams

Fairly traditional rotation there.

Solid D
07-13-2007, 05:10 PM
and if he can actually hit three's then we've improved cause brent can't hit three's or guard any of those players

Easy there, koopa...Brent ranked 4th in the NBA in 3-Pt FG% (.446)

Dingle Barry
07-13-2007, 05:14 PM
Does anyone know whether this guy has any slashing ability or is he just a spot up shooter?

smrattler
07-13-2007, 05:18 PM
I know Barry is redundant now, but he also was last year. But hanging on to him was a luxary we paid and the result was being the best 3 point shooting team in the league. And that is one underated aspect of our team last year when it comes to reasons why we wont the title.

Removing Barry is a hit to that since you could play him with Bowen, Manu and even Fin if needed, or at least another guy that you could test to see if he was hot. Doka likely will only backup Bowen and if he's on the court at the same time with him, doesn't seem to shoot the 3 as versatile(y) as Barry who can (and always does) shoot it from anywhere.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2007, 05:48 PM
Woo! I, along with timvp and very few others, wanted the Spurs to sign Udoka from the beginning of offseason ideas. I will be very pleased with this signing. :smokin

Darkwaters
07-13-2007, 05:50 PM

We should start talking to the Blazers about picking up one of their spare PGs. They don't need Blake, Rodriguez, Jack, Green and the rights to Koponen. Chances are that we could send them Houston's 2nd rounder for the rights to Taurean Green and be done with it.

SenorSpur
07-13-2007, 05:51 PM
I know Barry is redundant now, but he also was last year. But hanging on to him was a luxary we paid and the result was being the best 3 point shooting team in the league. And that is one underated aspect of our team last year when it comes to reasons why we wont the title.

Removing Barry is a hit to that since you could play him with Bowen, Manu and even Fin if needed, or at least another guy that you could test to see if he was hot. Doka likely will only backup Bowen and if he's on the court at the same time with him, doesn't seem to shoot the 3 as versatile(y) as Barry who can (and always does) shoot it from anywhere.

If Udoka is a proficient 3-pt shooter, then hopefully it will be a wash.

djohn14
07-13-2007, 05:52 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ime_Udoka#References
His wikipedia page has the Spurs mentioned on it.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2007, 05:52 PM
This signing must mean that we are finally getting rid of Barry. :toast

Spurs Brazil
07-13-2007, 05:53 PM
I think he's a very good option

Bruce usually plays big minutes because Finley and Brent don't play D

With Udoka, Bruce can rest more and extend his carrer

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 05:53 PM
We should start talking to the Blazers about picking up one of their spare PGs. They don't need Blake, Rodriguez, Jack, Green and the rights to Koponen. Chances are that we could send them Houston's 2nd rounder for the rights to Taurean Green and be done with it.

I wouldn't mind it, but Portland's FO is savvier than the Spurs. Count on us adding Marcus Williams or a future first.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2007, 05:57 PM
Blazers Receive:
2009 2nd Round Pick (Houston)
2009 2nd Round Pick

Spurs Receive:
Ime Udoka
Rights to Taurean Green

:smokin This can make up most of the suckiness from yesterday's trade. Now trade Barry to Milwaukee for exception. :)

timvp
07-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Does anyone know whether this guy has any slashing ability or is he just a spot up shooter?

Better slasher than Bowen but mostly a spot up shooter from the corner threes.

Udoka shot 42.2% of his shots from beyond the three-point line last year. Bowen for his career has shot 42.6% of his shots from beyond the three-point line.

Basically, Udoka is a Bowen clone minus two inches in height and plus 20 pounds in muscle.

K-State Spur
07-13-2007, 06:02 PM
I wouldn't mind it, but Portland's FO is savvier than the Spurs. Count on us adding Marcus Williams or a future first.

I don't think they've proved that. They've had a couple of nice drafts, but it's certainly easier when your owner allows to buy half the league's picks.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2007, 06:02 PM
Better slasher than Bowen but mostly a spot up shooter from the corner threes.

Udoka shot 42.2% of his shots from beyond the three-point line last year. Bowen for his career has shot 42.6% of his shots from beyond the three-point line.

Basically, Udoka is a Bowen clone minus two inches in height and plus 20 pounds in muscle.
:clap

ploto
07-13-2007, 06:03 PM
This signing must mean that we are finally getting rid of Barry. :toast
Or- he is finally going to get to play PG and the Spurs are shipping out Beno.

Darkwaters
07-13-2007, 06:03 PM
We must have found a pasture for Barry

Not necessarily. But expiring contracts can always be dealt (especially at the deadline). And Barry still could probably be an effective player if given a larger role.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Or- he is finally going to get to play PG and the Spurs are shipping out Beno.
Even better!

timvp
07-13-2007, 06:05 PM
Perhaps a swingman rotation of Ginobili, Bowen, Finley, Barry and Udoka can work. You move Barry into more of a Steve Kerr role in which he's called upon in case the Spurs can't hit a shot. Given Barry's age and his experience, that role might suite him best anyways.

Then you give Udoka a few of Bowen's minutes and the minutes Barry got in the regular rotation last year.

I can see something like:

Ginobili - 28 minutes
Bowen - 28 minutes
Finley - 20 minutes
Udoka - 20 minutes

Then Barry as the fifth swing is great insurance in case one of those four gets hurt or if age starts to catch up to any of them. Having five quality swingmen isn't a bad thing.

Plus, you don't want to weed it too thin. Ginobili always misses a handful of games. Who knows how long Bowen has left. Finley looked like he might be breaking down in the playoffs. Barry might be worth keeping around in case something happens. He's won enough that I don't think he'd mind taking a Steve Kerr or Danny Ferry role.

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 06:05 PM
I don't think they've proved that. They've had a couple of nice drafts, but it's certainly easier when your owner allows to buy half the league's picks.

Nah, I'm being down on the Spurs leadership. But Portland has been terrific lately - landing Brandon Roy last year, getting LaMarcus Aldridge from Chicago... the draft of Jarrett Jack was good... This past year Oden was a no-brainer, but very solid acquisitions of Fernandez and Koponen, and Josh McRoberts that late could be a true steal.

Mr. Body
07-13-2007, 06:06 PM
Barry might be worth keeping around in case something happens. He's won enough that I don't think he'd mind taking a Steve Kerr or Danny Ferry role.

I think Barry would rather stay and not play than get traded somewhere else.

Solid D
07-13-2007, 06:07 PM
If Udoka is a proficient 3-pt shooter, then hopefully it will be a wash.

Last season, Udoka tied with Mike Miller with the NBA's 19th best 3-pt FG% @ .406.

Even better, if the Spurs sign Udoka...the Spurs will have 100% of all players in the NBA with last names starting with "U". (Beno and Ime) :smokin

picnroll
07-13-2007, 06:10 PM
Comparison on 82games.com

Bowen Udoka

Jump 86% .495 71% .510
Close 13% .541 26% .649
Dunk 0% 0%
Tip 0% 3% .615
Inside 14% .537 29% .646

K-State Spur
07-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Nah, I'm being down on the Spurs leadership. But Portland has been terrific lately - landing Brandon Roy last year, getting LaMarcus Aldridge from Chicago... the draft of Jarrett Jack was good... This past year Oden was a no-brainer, but very solid acquisitions of Fernandez and Koponen, and Josh McRoberts that late could be a true steal.

I agree with that, they're loaded for the near and distant future. They have drafted very well.

Just saying that when they can buy draft picks (and I'm well aware that they have done well with their own picks as well), that's more about the owner having Microsoft money coming out of his ass than it is the GM being shrewd.

timvp
07-13-2007, 06:14 PM
Another good thing about Udoka is he's clutch. Last year in the 4th quarter or overtime of games with less than 5 minutes left and neither team ahead by more than 5 points, Udoka had a 71.1% true shooting percentage.

That's a higher number than anyone on the Spurs last year.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-13-2007, 06:17 PM
Is this signing official yet or are we all just hoping we signed him? And yes, I have read through all the threads before posting and no I do not get it.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2007, 06:18 PM
God this signing is so fucking awesome...

timvp
07-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Is this signing official yet or are we all just hoping we signed him?

Nothing official yet. If this falls apart, that'd just be cruel considering Spurs fans had to just live through that abomination of a trade yesterday.

YODA
07-13-2007, 06:23 PM
so is this done or what????????

Yoda

tlongII
07-13-2007, 06:23 PM
I just hope you guys win the title next season if we don't. The best thing about Ime is that he's a great guy. He's one of the best character guys in the NBA imo. He's experienced tragedy in his life recently with his dad dying. He deserves everything good that comes his way.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Okay so its not even official yet.

So is the collective enthusiasm due to the vomit inducing abomination of a trade made yesterday, or are yall genuinely looking foward to this guy? I don't get the ruckus. I read how he's just like Bowen, and the mythical long 3 doesn't have to also be the bowen replacement, but still.

Slinkyman
07-13-2007, 06:28 PM
I just hope you guys win the title next season if we don't. The best thing about Ime is that he's a great guy. He's one of the best character guys in the NBA imo. He's experienced tragedy in his life recently with his dad dying. He deserves everything good that comes his way.

baby steps, hope your team makes the playoffs first. Portland has a bright future, it's just not here yet.

Solid D
07-13-2007, 06:29 PM
David Chancellor just said on WOAI TV that he had called Udoka's agent 20 minutes ago. The agent said the Spurs have shown interest in Ime. Reports out of Portland today say the Spurs have already offered him a 3 year deal. The agent would not confirm those reports. His agent did say Ime will make a decision soon.

El_Mago
07-13-2007, 06:31 PM
The deal is all about done.

Udoka was my number 1 option in free agency if the Spurs were going to land anyone.

I like the fact that Udoka can guard a Jason Terry/Josh Howard, while Bowen can take on Dirk.

Just like Bowen, he is a threat from the corner.

However, he can drive to the basket, is an great rebounder for his height, and does not mind getting in people's faces.

People have compared him to Bowen, but I see him more like Rajah Bell.

Just as tall as Bell, almost as thick, can shoot, and drive to the basket. Plus, like Bell, he does not mind dishing it out.

intlspurshk
07-13-2007, 06:32 PM
How're the shooting % of Kobe, T mac, J Terry when UI was on the floor?

Cant_Be_Faded
07-13-2007, 06:34 PM
The problem of all this "it will work against dallas and denver" hooey is that while that may be true to a slight extent on the defensive end, i bet you anything with this guy and bowen on the floor our offense gets a little more stagnant. Plus with these two spot up corner shooters on the floor at the same time that gives TWO mavericks/nuggets easy pickings and they get to catch their breath every time we have the ball.

So, we see the spurs playing slightly better defense but worse offense. It's like a movie rerun.

Buddy Holly
07-13-2007, 06:35 PM
Why not trade Barry, Beno, White to GS for Petrius?

timvp
07-13-2007, 06:35 PM
Okay so its not even official yet.

So is the collective enthusiasm due to the vomit inducing abomination of a trade made yesterday, or are yall genuinely looking foward to this guy? I don't get the ruckus. I read how he's just like Bowen, and the mythical long 3 doesn't have to also be the bowen replacement, but still.
I thought he was the best free agent available for the Spurs that didn't require getting into a bidding war to acquire. He's a tough, rugged defender, can hit the three, high character guy and just doesn't make many mistakes.

This is the type of guy that Pop coaches the best. You give Pop a good defender and he'll make him shine. Bowen went from journeyman to borderline DPOY under Pop. Elie's career was all but over before the 1999 run. Elliott under Pop turned into a championship quality player. Even Jacque Vaughn had a career year under Pop. If a guy is capable and willing to play defense, Pop will make the player better.

For a lot of teams, Udoka wouldn't make sense. But he fits the Spurs so well that I'd be excited if the Spurs can sign him.

He's not going to be a world beater but as long as he can keep teams honest with his corner threes, he'll fit right in and be a Pop favorite within a couple weeks.

picnroll
07-13-2007, 06:36 PM
How much did Blake get?

Kori Ellis
07-13-2007, 06:37 PM
David Chancellor just said on WOAI TV that he had called Udoka's agent 20 minutes ago. The agent said the Spurs have shown interest in Ime. Reports out of Portland today say the Spurs have already offered him a 3 year deal. The agent would not confirm those reports. His agent did say Ime will make a decision soon.

I gave David the lead when this thread was posted. I'm glad he followed up with the agent to try to get some info :tu

timvp
07-13-2007, 06:41 PM
The problem of all this "it will work against dallas and denver" hooey is that while that may be true to a slight extent on the defensive end, i bet you anything with this guy and bowen on the floor our offense gets a little more stagnant. Plus with these two spot up corner shooters on the floor at the same time that gives TWO mavericks/nuggets easy pickings and they get to catch their breath every time we have the ball.

So, we see the spurs playing slightly better defense but worse offense. It's like a movie rerun.
The thing is the Spurs have to prepare for life after Bowen. He's 36-years-old and he's already passed the age that most perimeter defenders have to be replaced.

I don't expect much of a Bowen and Udoka lineup other than for short doses against teams that have two players on fire. I do, however, expect that Udoka would be able to fill the Bowen role after he retires about as best as it can be filled for $3M per year.

Hopefully the Spurs can make this official and not tease Spurs fans for the second day in a row . . .

Cant_Be_Faded
07-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Yeah I sees det, I sees det. If he's cheap I'm all for it, just tryin to feel out the situation.

Marcus Bryant
07-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Oh well, time for some alcohol. Can somebody feed the whottt? Thanks.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Whotttttt is the greatest thing to happen to spurstalk since hegamboa.

Mavs > Spurs
07-13-2007, 06:46 PM
:lmao :lmao The Rockets fucked the spurs right in the anal on that trade. Then sign some undersized sf scrub who wont do shit against the Mavs.

picnroll
07-13-2007, 06:47 PM
:lmao :lmao The Rockets fucked the spurs right in the anal on that trade.
Which means that GS and the Rockets can now knock the Ponies out in the first round. :rollin

dg7md
07-13-2007, 06:48 PM
This is great news, definitely makes up for the Scola/Butler fiasco.

Big P
The thing is the Spurs have to prepare for life after Bowen. He's 36-years-old and he's already passed the age that most perimeter defenders have to be replaced.

I don't expect much of a Bowen and Udoka lineup other than for short doses against teams that have two players on fire. I do, however, expect that Udoka would be able to fill the Bowen role after he retires about as best as it can be filled for $3M per year.

Hopefully the Spurs can make this official and not tease Spurs fans for the second day in a row . . .

If he has signed an offer sheet, I'm sure the Blazers will take the full 7 days to "look things over"...I probably wouldn't expect anything definite for a few days at least...just my opinion.

Mavs > Spurs
Which means that GS and the Rockets can now knock the Ponies out in the first round. :rollin

Which also means Spurs get worse by not making any moves which gives the Mavs a huge advantage over them.

Solid D
07-13-2007, 06:50 PM
I gave David the lead when this thread was posted. I'm glad he followed up with the agent to try to get some info :tu

:lol I was just thinking during the broadcast...hmmm, I wonder if Kori texted David with this rumor or if he read it on our site.

Kori Ellis
07-13-2007, 06:51 PM
:lol I was just thinking during the broadcast...hmmm, I wonder if Kori texted David with this rumor or if he read it on our site.

:)
David, Don and I email each other a lot to keep each other in the loop about stuff.

Kori Ellis
07-13-2007, 06:52 PM
If he has signed an offer sheet, I'm sure the Blazers will take the full 7 days to "look things over"...I probably wouldn't expect anything definite for a few days at least...just my opinion.

I think he's unrestricted, right? So there's no offer sheet or anything for the Blazers to look at. He can just sign with the Spurs.

whottt
07-13-2007, 06:57 PM
I'd trade Jason Kidd for Udoka...

whottt
07-13-2007, 07:00 PM
And BTW...offense is not our problem...

Udoka plays a lot bigger than he actually is...to tell you the truth, I'm amazed to find out he's only 6'5...

Give this guy 35 mins per game and he'll be good for about 12 and 5 at the SF position with a steal thrown in for good measure...with good d and 40% three shooting.

He's what everyone wanted Devin Brown to be...

Big P
07-13-2007, 07:01 PM
I think he's unrestricted, right? So there's no offer sheet or anything for the Blazers to look at. He can just sign with the Spurs.

My bad Kori..thanks for setting me straight...this is good news ...we should know something in a day or two then.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Kori has mentioned that she thinks a Barry trade must be in the works, and I'd agree. That's really the only option left at this point for keeping the Spurs under the cap. I'd be surprised if the Spurs are trying to sign Udoka, knowing he'll cost them $6M next season. There has to be another chapter in the works.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Maybe they're waiting to see if Udoka signs before pulling the trigger on the Barry plan.

whottt
07-13-2007, 07:04 PM
Honestly...Udoka can replace Barry. The Spurs have bascially traded out three guys Pop didn't like for three new ones for him to not like...

Spatula...if he comes, can replace Beno.
Udoka can replace Barry.
Ian can replace Jackie.

All are potentially better fits than the guys they are replacing.

There is no way we are moving both Beno and Barry IMO without getting another guard on the roster IMO...

No way is Pop going into this season with only 2 guys that can play the point. One of whom is Jacque Vaughn.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2007, 07:10 PM
Who are we referring to when we say Spatula?

leemajors
07-13-2007, 07:49 PM
Who are we referring to when we say Spatula?
spatulaouis.

AFBlue
07-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Maybe they're waiting to see if Udoka signs before pulling the trigger on the Barry plan.

Poor Barry....he is so clearly gone if this thing happens.

As anal as RC and Holt are about not exceeding the lux tax threshold, there's no way Barry sticks around. He'll be on some other team post-deadline if they offer a trade exception and a late second round pick.

picnroll
07-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Who exactly is it that is picking up Barry and his contract?

objective
07-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Check the game in Portland near the end of the season where Duncan and Udoka had some sort of "misunderstanding".

I forgot if Manu's explosion in that game was against Udoka or someone else. If it was against Udoka, don't get too disheartened. Manu does it to the best of 'em.

:hat

Just got done watching both games that were at Portland.

I wouldn't go overboard one way or another as this is only two games, even if I find the other games that wouldn't be a lot.

First the misunderstanding came when Udoka kneed Duncan in the groin trying to fight through a screen. Duncan went up to Udoka to talk at him after he had gotten up from the ground, but it wasn't anything too serious.

Manu went off in both of those games actually, but the one with the knee incident is the one where a couple of minutes earlier Manu went right by Udoka with zero difficulty from the three point line right in for a dunk after the Blazers behind him were late. Udoka might have been anticipating a screen that never came, but there wasn't too much trickery to Manu's move, slight hesitation and then he was by him for the dunk.

Anyways, the big picture stuff from my viewpoint from those 2 games

He looked like a small 6-5 to me heightwise. Average quickness. More than competant passer. Defended well on entry passes, active hands for deflections, some nice hustle plays (including getting back for a block on a transition Parker layup).

Wasn't afraid to shoot when he was open in those two games. Had a nice ability to make a dribble move to get open to nail a shot, particularly when a defender had rotated over in time to contest a shot in the corner.

Didn't seem all that great penetration wise. Defensively on the whole he didn't strike me as a Bowen or Bell type. Didn't seem to be able to handle Manu at all straight up or to fight around screens like necessary, but the young guys he was trying to play with like Aldridge didn't give him much help at all. I'd suspect as a Spur he'd have big men who knew what they were doing and he wouldn't look so unremarkable.

In the knee game, he had 10 points in the first quarter. Wasn't open so much the rest of the game as he was the last resort option mostly (he would sit for long stretches as Portland played the youngsters in both games).

Both games are fairly entertaining actually, at least in the 4th quarters.

The knee game especially had a big time 4th quarter comeback with huge highlight plays by Manu over and over again as well as bigtime shots by Finley and even Beno got in the act. The game also featured some great highlights from Roy and Jack.

AFBlue
07-13-2007, 08:20 PM
Who exactly is it that is picking up Barry and his contract?

Whoever has enough cash or a trade exception to take back his expiring contract so that it's not on the books post-trade deadline when the lux tax is assessed.

I don't have an idea of who holds the various trade exceptions and the exception amounts (help anyone?)....but Charlotte stands out in my mind as the team with enough cap space to take on Barry's expiring contract.

Either way, I don't see how the Spurs would stand for in effect paying $6M for the services of Ime Udoka.

whottt
07-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Why don't the Spurs want the cap space Barry is going to provide?

Anyway...Pop hates Barry...but Barry has been impossible for him to pemanently consign to the doghouse...no matter how bad Pop has wanted to do so. And that pisses Pop off even worse....

It's probably for the best if Barry stays...and I just don't see the Spurs moving him unless they are getting a PG in return.

whottt
07-13-2007, 08:24 PM
Barry has an outside shot at being the first Pop hatee to ever finish out his full contract with the Spurs....in the rotation.

That's notable.

Solid D
07-13-2007, 08:27 PM
My question is...does Ime Udoka have the nerve to sign with the Spurs?

Can you imagine the pressure being the ONLY NEW PLAYER on a team that just won the NBA Championship? If they don't win it all again the whispers might begin..."it was probably because of the new guy."

AFBlue
07-13-2007, 08:30 PM
Why don't the Spurs want the cap space Barry is going to provide?

Anyway...Pop hates Barry...but Barry has been impossible for him to pemanently consign to the doghouse...no matter how bad Pop has wanted to do so. And that pisses Pop off even worse....

It's probably for the best if Barry stays...and I just don't see the Spurs moving him unless they are getting a PG in return.

You don't get what I'm saying. They won't move Barry for another player for a longer-term deal....

I'm saying they'll move Barry for a trade exception or "straight cash homie". Because, if Barry's deal is still on the books after the trade deadline it counts towards the cap. The cap situation was at about $70M ($5M over lux tax threshold) prior to the Butler deal, so if the Spurs add Udoka and keep Barry they'll essentially negate the money saved from the Butler deal.

$5M over the lux tax threshold = $10M total payout ($5M to player and $5M to league)

So, shedding Barry's salary for cash or a trade exception puts the Spurs under the lux tax threshold for this season.

whottt
07-13-2007, 08:38 PM
You don't get what I'm saying. They won't move Barry for another player for a longer-term deal....

I'm saying they'll move Barry for a trade exception or "straight cash homie". Because, if Barry's deal is still on the books after the trade deadline it counts towards the cap. The cap situation was at about $70M ($5M over lux tax threshold) prior to the Butler deal, so if the Spurs add Udoka and keep Barry they'll essentially negate the money saved from the Butler deal.

$5M over the lux tax threshold = $10M total payout ($5M to player and $5M to league)

So, shedding Barry's salary for cash or a trade exception puts the Spurs under the lux tax threshold for this season.

Damn...that does sound bleak. And poor Brent if he stays....Pop really gonna hate him for being a huge cap hit.

samikeyp
07-13-2007, 08:39 PM
Can you imagine the pressure being the ONLY NEW PLAYER on a team that just won the NBA Championship? If they don't win it all again the whispers might begin..."it was probably because of the new guy."

Actually I would think that with all the experience around him, he might feel better about coming in.

Reckless28
07-13-2007, 10:13 PM
udoka sounds like a good fit for the spurs

as for barry and beno, hmm. i just don't know.

milkyway21
07-13-2007, 10:28 PM

alleluyah! :angel

I thought we'd only be licking our lips :p: this off-season and see our big men leaving us w/ zero in return. I saw him playing once and he can be a good backup for Bowen.

Thompson
07-13-2007, 10:31 PM
Could we get much for Barry? More than we did for Butler (we apparently had to pay with Scola to get him off the books)?

Spurs16212
07-13-2007, 11:24 PM
:lol :lol

Everyone seems to complain about Holt when a move is made that no one likes.... Holt does not make the decisions when it comes to basketball operations... That is why they have RC Buford. But at the same time people complain and they forget that this is the front office that have put teams together that have won four championships in the last nine years.

Udoka for three years at 9 mil.... If this holds true then it is a good signing....

I agree that with this signing that it might be the end of the Brent Barry era as sad as it may be but now I believe the next move should be going after another solid point guard that can back up Parker.....

People need to layoff of Holt.... Since he has own the Spurs, he has gotten pieces together to win each year.......

koopa
07-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Easy there, koopa...Brent ranked 4th in the NBA in 3-Pt FG% (.446)

easy there, his percentage looks good cause for the first two months of the season he was hitting everything he threw up, but once the ball was changed he went into a funk that lasted the rest of the year, as finley started finding his groove brent stopped shooting as much and it made him in with a nice 3 pointer percentage, but overall he's worthless, just look at his playoff numbers, he couldn't hit shit, even in that game 2 when we were killing the cavs, brent came in, started jacking up wide the fuck open 3 pointers and he missed them all..................... so brent is worthless

whottt
07-13-2007, 11:34 PM
easy there, his percentage looks good cause for the first two months of the season he was hitting everything he threw up, but once the ball was changed he went into a funk that lasted the rest of the year, as finley started finding his groove brent stopped shooting as much and it made him in with a nice 3 pointer percentage, but overall he's worthless, just look at his playoff numbers, he couldn't hit shit, even in that game 2 when we were killing the cavs, brent came in, started jacking up wide the fuck open 3 pointers and he missed them all..................... so brent is worthless

No he didn't...he beat Finley out of the main back up position for the rest of the year until losing his spot to a back injury in the final few games of the season.

Brent lead the team in every shooting PCT category and was #1 in the entire NBA in true shooting PCT.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-13-2007, 11:53 PM

Actually it's a shrewd move. You put Bowen on _irk and Udoka on Howard. That locks down the Unicorns' offense.

When then Spurs are on the attack, you can put those two guys on opposite corners and open the floor for TD/Tpark/Manu.

Not a bad idea. Plus, after BB hangs them up, you've got his replacement with room to slide someone else in at the long SF.

justanotherspursfan
07-14-2007, 12:00 AM
Actually it's a shrewd move. You put Bowen on _irk and Udoka on Howard. That locks down the Unicorns' offense.

When then Spurs are on the attack, you can put those two guys on opposite corners and open the floor for TD/Tpark/Manu.

Not a bad idea. Plus, after BB hangs them up, you've got his replacement with room to slide someone else in at the long SF.
I thought you hated small ball. Doesn't Parker/Ginobili/Udoka/Bowen/Duncan qualify?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-14-2007, 12:05 AM
I thought you hated small ball. Doesn't Parker/Ginobili/Udoka/Bowen/Duncan qualify?

Yes it does, but Pop is stuck on it, may as well get the pieces to make it work against the Mavs.....

mystargtr34
07-14-2007, 12:11 AM
I think he probably ment with Manu off the floor. But it still gives us the option of playing 4-1 guard centre combo if a team like the Mavs go small. It gives us so many moee options and flexibility.

mystargtr34
07-14-2007, 12:24 AM
I looked at his matchups with some of the leagues best scorers last season - not exactly promising nearly all had better games than their averages. Ill give him the benefit of the doubt since the Blazers werent the def team last season.

Kobe hung 65 on his head once lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-14-2007, 12:31 AM
I looked at his matchups with some of the leagues best scorers last season - not exactly promising nearly all had better games than their averages. Ill give him the benefit of the doubt since the Blazers werent the def team last season.

Kobe hung 65 on his head once lol

Yeah, but you're talking about the Jailblazers pissing into the wind as a team.

A little bit different than the team defensive philosophy of the Spurs.

ploto
07-14-2007, 12:53 AM
This rumor still is nowhere but this one blog-- maybe his agent is just trying to drive up his price.

All I could find was that his agent claimed 4 days ago that some Western Conference team offered him 3 years and $12M- but Pritchard didn't seem to be buying it. Wouldn't he have signed that deal by now if it was legit.

drmvp
07-14-2007, 01:04 AM
I don't know if he sucks but White is gone. The Udoka signing ends White's chances.

I'd probably pick White over Williams but it'd be tough for the Spurs to cut a 33rd overall pick before his rookie year.

I'm not a huge fan of Flight White...

But isn't that the type of reasoning that prompted the Spurs to cut Raja Bell?

R.C. Buford (yeah, him again) chose Derrick Dial over Raja Bell for the last roster spot only because Dial had been a second round pick of his?

gameFACE
07-14-2007, 01:06 AM
In the clutch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mx1F3Jmvm4)
(first couple of minutes only)

Nice assist (http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/aotn/aotn_070301.asx)

Nice pickup if it happens. The Spurs still have the all the core members who contributed in the post season. Even if Barry and Beno get shipped out the main core is still there.

ploto
07-14-2007, 01:06 AM
They don't have to cut Williams- they can just not sign him like they do all their second round picks.

timvp
07-14-2007, 01:29 AM
Nice assist (http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/aotn/aotn_070301.asx)

:lol @ NBA.com

That is Jarrett Jack to LaMarcus Aldridge. Only way Udoka gets credit for an assist on that play is if they were going by hockey rules.

Leetonidas
07-14-2007, 01:32 AM
I hope this happens but it's odd that we've heard about it only on this dude's blog...

timvp
07-14-2007, 01:32 AM
I'm starting to wonder about the validity of the blog post. It has now been edited and has no mention of the $9M figure. That could be a bad sign.

Perhaps they are still in negotiations and the agent asked for that number to be removed but if a deal were imminent, something else would have hit the wires by now. Hopefully it'll be official soon.

If The Trade is followed by The Hoax, that would be cruel for Spurs fans.

itzsoweezee
07-14-2007, 01:39 AM
old as dirt. a marginal player. same old bs.

Leetonidas
07-14-2007, 01:41 AM
old as dirt. a marginal player. same old bs.
:wtf He's only 29 right now.

drmvp
07-14-2007, 01:45 AM
Am I the only one who'd like to see this as a starting lineup:

Oberto
Duncan
Bowen
Udoka
Parker

Start off with your best defensive team when the opposing team has their best scorers on the court. Then when you've disheartened the opponent and bloodied his nose (fondly remembering Steve Nash when I wrote that :lol), bring in Manu for the kill.

I also don't think there's a huge dropoff, if any at this point, in offense production potential in going from Finley to Udoka.

Would there be any question about my proposed starting lineup if I substituted the name Ime Udoka with Raja Bell?

Leetonidas
07-14-2007, 01:49 AM
Would there be any question about my proposed starting lineup if I substituted the name Ime Udoka with Raja Bell?

If people thought the Spurs were thugs with Bruce and Horry, the Spurs would be on America's Most Wanted if they had Raja Bell.

Fast Dunk
07-14-2007, 02:20 AM
http://mikebarrettsblog.blogspot.com/2007/07/aldridge-on-courtside.html

About 9 million over 3 years. He's a great guy and deserves the money. The Blazers won't want to spend that much to keep him as he is older than their core players. He's a great pickup for the Spurs though!

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Fast Dunk
07-14-2007, 02:21 AM
and I bet my banishment that deal it won't even happen...

drmvp
07-14-2007, 02:45 AM
If The Trade is followed by The Hoax, that would be cruel for Spurs fans.

True. But nothing in my mind can top The Passes followed by The Cruel Joke.

(passing on Josh Howard and the rookie contract extension on Speedy; JKidd, O'Neal or Brand turning into Rasho and Hedo)
:sick

T Park
07-14-2007, 03:28 AM
JKidd, O'Neal or Brand turning into Rasho and Hedo)

can't fault the Spurs for those. Hedo and Rasho were the next best available after those guys.

Not giving an extension to Claxton was prob in hindsight a good idea.

BTW, this will prob be all BS, and end up not happening.

Would continue to be a typical cheap ass Spurs summer.

xmas1997
07-14-2007, 08:35 AM
What happened to Pietrus?????????????????

SenorSpur
07-14-2007, 08:50 AM
What happened to Pietrus?????????????????

Last I heard, Pietrus ws in negotiations with Miami - but it seems like every FA is in supposed negotiations with Miami. With the available cap room and PT resulting from Jason Richardson's departure, I wouldn't be surprised if he remained with GS.

Back to Udoka, I'm wondering when or if this deal will be finalized?

MrChug
07-14-2007, 08:52 AM
Last I heard, Pietrus ws in negotiations with Miami - but it seems like every FA is in supposed negotiations with Miami.

:lmao...I WAS JUST GONNA SAY THAT!!!

"Fuck...who isn't!"

justanotherspursfan
07-14-2007, 08:53 AM
With the available cap room and PT resulting from Jason Richardson's departure, I wouldn't be surprised if he remained with GS.
Yeah, Pietrus sticking in Golden State seems a lot more likely now that the logjam in front of him is gone. Then again, he can play defense, so I'm not sure if he's allowed to play for Don Nelson.

SenorSpur
07-14-2007, 09:02 AM
:lmao...I WAS JUST GONNA SAY THAT!!!

"Fuck...who isn't!"

Too funny! :lol

ploto
07-14-2007, 09:19 AM
News 4 also talked with Udoka's agent, Erin Cowan. He says that while the Spurs have shown interest, they have not extended an offer as of 5:30 Friday night. Cowan also said that he expected his client to make a decision soon.

http://www.woai.com/mostpopular/story.aspx?content_id=7a50eaba-eac9-482d-9038-db4732a0b553

Darkwaters
07-14-2007, 09:19 AM
If people thought the Spurs were thugs with Bruce and Horry, the Spurs would be on America's Most Wanted if they had Raja Bell.

Agreed. Raja Bell is a piece of shit. The guy is one of the worst floppers in the league and he is dirtier than shit.

Streakyshooter08
07-14-2007, 09:31 AM
Damn. That blog really got my hopes up. If this was bs, I'd be really disappointed.

ploto
07-14-2007, 09:52 AM
The more I think about this the more I think that Blake signing with Portland was actually a bad omen for the Spurs. I think the Spurs wanted to get Udoka in a S&T involving Brent. They don't want to sign him outright because of luxury tax issues.

Mr. Body
07-14-2007, 10:07 AM
Fantastic. We may not even get Udoka.

dbestpro
07-14-2007, 10:38 AM
News 4 also talked with Udoka's agent, Erin Cowan. He says that while the Spurs have shown interest, they have not extended an offer as of 5:30 Friday night. Cowan also said that he expected his client to make a decision soon.

http://www.woai.com/mostpopular/story.aspx?content_id=7a50eaba-eac9-482d-9038-db4732a0b553
Great! There's hope because Udoka is not the player we need. Too short, too old, limited potential and too expensive for the play. I'd take Outlaw any day.

Bruno
07-14-2007, 10:58 AM
The more I think about this the more I think that Blake signing with Portland was actually a bad omen for the Spurs. I think the Spurs wanted to get Udoka in a S&T involving Brent. They don't want to sign him outright because of luxury tax issues.

You're wrong.
Portland can't do a S&T with Udoka.

Spurs Brazil
07-14-2007, 11:07 AM
You're wrong.
Portland can't do a S&T with Udoka.

Why?

xmas1997
07-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Am I one of the few who find it suspicious that the monetary amount ($9 million) has been deleted from the blog???????????????????
Could it be that it is getting closer to being just a "rumor" than anything concrete?

Spurs Dynasty 21
07-14-2007, 11:13 AM
I hopes this fall through and the Spurs get Matt Barnes

he would be the PERFECT replacement for Bowen

Bruno
07-14-2007, 11:15 AM
Why?

When you do a S&T, you can't do it by using the MLE or LLE money.
You do a S&T by using bird rights.
Udoka has signed with Blazers as a FA one year ago : the max Blazers can give to Udoka without using the MLE or LLE is 120% of the minimum salary (less than $1M per year). Udoka will get more than that, Blazers can't do a S&T with him.

Spurs Brazil
07-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Thanks

Solid D
07-14-2007, 11:18 AM
I hopes this fall through and the Spurs get Matt Barnes

he would be the PERFECT replacement for Bowen

Barnes would be great but I think he wants too much $ and his agent, Dan Fegan, isn't regarded too highly by the Spurs' FO after the Stephen Jackson deal in the summer of '03.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-14-2007, 11:27 AM
Ime Udoka! :nutkick:

ploto
07-14-2007, 12:14 PM
Well whatever the hold up is- the Spurs have to get rid of Brent to get Udoka because they will not pay $6M for him- salary plus tax. Personally, I think Udoka's agent screwed up.

Mr. Body
07-14-2007, 12:42 PM
Well whatever the hold up is- the Spurs have to get rid of Brent to get Udoka because they will not pay $6M for him- salary plus tax. Personally, I think Udoka's agent screwed up.

How is this the agent's fault? It's the Spurs' fault for not moving Barry yet.

xmas1997
07-14-2007, 12:46 PM
How is this the agent's fault? It's the Spurs' fault for not moving Barry yet.

Why are so many wanting to move Barry so often?
He knows the Spurs system well now and last season was a good contributor.
The Spurs have shown they will pay Lux tax if it makes sense to do so, so money isn't the issue IMHO.
I think it more probable that they let Barry be the 3rd PG and move Beno.

Mr. Body
07-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Why are so many wanting to move Barry so often?
He knows the Spurs system well now and last season was a good contributor.
The Spurs have shown they will pay Lux tax if it makes sense to do so, so money isn't the issue IMHO.
I think it more probable that they let Barry be the 3rd PG and move Beno.

They sure as hell won't pay the lux tax. I don't know what you're talking about. This crazy-ass Scola trade was all about not paying the tax.

Barry makes $5.5M. As long as they're paying him that money, they're infinitely less likely to sign anyone else. Essentially he's taking up the MLE this year.

ploto
07-14-2007, 12:51 PM
How is this the agent's fault?
I think the agent has tried to play games with Pritchard that have not worked. His story keeps changing as the week goes on. Also, if the agent leaked out what the Spurs were doing with him, that was stupid with a capital S and maybe he is now trying to cover his tracks.

ploto
07-14-2007, 12:52 PM
$100,000 does not equal $3 or $4M in luxury tax.

xmas1997
07-14-2007, 12:53 PM
They sure as hell won't pay the lux tax. I don't know what you're talking about. This crazy-ass Scola trade was all about not paying the tax.

Barry makes $5.5M. As long as they're paying him that money, they're infinitely less likely to sign anyone else. Essentially he's taking up the MLE this year.

I think what you meant to say is that they won't pay a LOT of Lux tax, right?
Because if you check back, they have already been doing so for some time now.

picnroll
07-14-2007, 01:01 PM

This crazy-ass Scola trade was about getting rid of Butler that Pop couldn't stand and wanted out of here as confirmed by both Ludden and a guy who is cloose friends of a Spurs team member. Best deal involved dropping the salary load. Did RC tell you they wouldn't bump the salary total back to where it was pre-trade. Why conjecture with a half a deck or maybe even only the jokers or are you sitting in on the Spurs' FO decisions, particularly state it like you have all the facts?