PDA

View Full Version : Clipper blog bashes AJ jersey issue...

Man of Steel
10-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Who Can Forget Number 6?
By ClipperSteve
Posted on Wed Oct 03, 2007 at 12:10:07 PM PDT

There's lots of Clipper news out there, so of course I've decided to post about... the Spurs.

Seriously, there's not much in the way of 'new' news. Mobley's got a strained calf muscle and will miss most of camp (I imagine he's not too upset about missing two-a-days at the age of 32). In a related story, ClipperSteve pulled a hammy at ClipperMax's soccer practice on Monday. 44 is worse than 32. Kaman tweaked his low back and sat out the afternoon practice on Tuesday, and is day-to-day. (This one actually is of some concern. Has this guy ever had a problem free pre-season? Seems like he's always got some excuse entering the season, which the team then points to to explain his perennial slow start. If he has a slow start this season, it's over. Start collecting rabbits feet for the lottery party.) And Dan Dickau appears to be inevitable. Both the LAT and the OCR are saying he'll be in camp this afternoon, after he clears waivers and assuming he passes a physical.

But then this little tidbit caught my eye; the Spurs are going to retire the jersey number of Avery Johnson. That's right - the Spurs are going to retire the jersey of a guy who averaged 8 points and 5.5 assists in his career. Whose career season high was 13 points per game. Now, I realize that Avery was a terrific floor leader for the Spurs (hence the Little General sobriquet) and that he was the starting point guard on their first title team. But COME ON. Don't you have to have some standards for retiring jerseys? Mario Elie was just as important to that first title, wasn't he?

A quick check of Spurs history shows a mixed bag. In March 2005, Sean Elliot became the 5th Spur to have his number retired. The four others? George Gervin, David Robinson, Johnny Moore and James Silas. Now, I have no argument with Gervin, Robinson or Elliot of course. Johnny Moore and James Silas are a little less obvious, but let's compare Moore to Avery Johnson.

Johnny Moore had four consecutive seasons where he averaged 9.6 or more assists beginning with his second season in the NBA. He led the league in assists per game in 81-82 and was in the top 5 three other seasons. And he was a contemporary of a guy named Magic Johnson and another guy named Isiah Thomas, so leading the league in assists per game meant a LOT. He was among the best point guards in the league during his brief career, which was cut tragically short when he was diagnosed with Valley Fever. He never played another full season.

Avery Johnson made up in mediocrity what Johnny Moore lacked in longevity. Avery had a single season where he averaged as many as 9.6 assists. The Spurs, now planning to retire his jersey, were so enamored of him in 1991 that they WAIVED him. They also let him leave via free agency twice after that, and we're not talking about huge money contracts here. In fact, it's unclear that he actually wore jersey number 6 in each of his stints with the team (I checked the media guide, but they did not list numbers). Which raises the question, do they have to retire multiple numbers? The brief article about his upcoming ceremony (Dec. 22, against the Clippers for some reason) makes a point of him spending 'all or part of 10 seasons' with the Spurs. Yeah, in three stretches because they never actually kept the guy. He didn't even finish his career with the team.

Now, maybe I've got a personal vendetta against him. I was pretty hacked off when he played his scrubs against the Warriors in a game that was crucial to the Clippers' slim playoff hopes late last season. But I'm trying to be objective. Databasebasketball.com has a little feature that compares players careers based purely on the numbers. Here are some players whose careers are similar to Avery Johnson's: Vern Fleming, Eric Show, Sedale Threatt, Muggsy Bogues, Jay Humphries, Sherman Douglas and Rory Sparrow. Think the Hornets are planning to retire Muggsy Bogues' jersey any time soon?

I realize that there's the 'championship team' argument that takes Muggsy Bogues and Sherman Douglas off the table (as if they were ever on it). But somebody had to be the 4th or 5th best player on that championship team, you know? If every NBA champion retired their top 4 or 5 players, you'd have BJ Armstrong, Steve Kerr and Luc Longley in the rafters in Chicago. Hell, a few years from now, I suppose we could see Udonis Haslem in the rafters in Miami.

It's really surprising that the Spurs would do this now, with easily four players on their current roster whose numbers will have to be retired eventually. I mean, Duncan, Parker and Ginobili are no-brainers barring some sort of future scandal, and certainly if you retire Avery Johnson's number, you have to retire Bruce Bowen's. Unless they raise their standards, they're going to have to add a third digit around 2030.

Alvin Robertson (3 consecutive all-star teams with the Spurs), Artis Gilmore (2 all-star teams) and Larry Kenon (2 NBA all-star teams and 1 ABA all-star team) all would seem to be more obvious choices than Avery. Hell, if Avery's going into the rafters, where's Mark Olberding and Billy Paultz?

I found one other interesting comparison in looking at the data. As it happens, another current NBA coach and former Spur had almost identical stats as a Spur as Avery Johnson's career numbers. In 1982, Mike Dunleavy Sr. averaged 7.8 points and 5.5 assists per game for San Antonio. No word yet on his jersey retirement ceremony. First someone has to go through the archival photos and figure out what number he wore.

Menu
Home
Diaries
Search

Create Account
Forget Your Username or Password?

Login

Sponsors
Advertise on ClipsNationTicket City - LA Clippers
Ticket Source for Los Angeles Clippers tickets, NBA All Star Tickets, & Final Four tickets.
TicketCity.com

'
Display: ThreadedMinimalNestedFlatFlat Unthreaded

Who Can Forget Number 6? :: 2 Comments :: Post a Comment

Interesting Post
Hate to say it, but the low standard from the Spurs makes the Laker jerseys look very strong, with virtually all of them hall of famers. Anybody on Boston's list that doesn't really belong?

Maybe with the Spurs it's a middle of the country, or a Texas thing. But I doubt it. I think there must be a clubhouse and fan factor. The fact that he became a coach so quickly relates to my own vague impression that the whole was somehow greater than the sum of the parts, that his leadership, effort and general tenacity was a factor in getting the team over the hump of winning its first championship.

Funny about the Dunleavy stuff. But this actually makes me wonder about the Clippers. Brand is the only obvious guy. But the team is building towards actually retiring some jerseys someday. If Maggs has a big year and resigns, then he'll be a shoe-in as well--despite Dunleavy. But what about Sam Cassell? Dunleavy hurt him by driving the team into the ground last year, and Sam needed to stay healthy and lead another playoff run to help his cause. But if Cassell can lead the team in holding the fort until Brand comes back and the Clips have a great year, he might deserve some consideration. His impact two years ago was immense (and obviously it was statistically much better than A Johnson ever was)--he literally taught the team how to win. Lastly, if Kaman can show that he's not going to be a doofus for the next five years, he could draft off Brand and deserve consideration. We knew that Maggette, Cassell, and Kaman were key players for this first two months, but this raises the stakes--they could be playing for the rafters.

by zhivclip on Wed Oct 03, 2007 at 01:01:51 PM PDT

Great entry ClipperSteve
Muggsy Bogues should have his jersey retired! Mourning, Larry Johnson, Johnny Newman, Dell Curry, Mike Gminski, Kenny Gattison. He led that team! Seriously though, some of those names you mentioned brought back some memories. Fleming had a pretty long career with the Pacers. Humphries played for a few teams but I remember him doing some good work for the Bucks when they had some nice teams in the late 80s and early 90s. Sherman the general! Lots of all-oops to Rony Seikley. (spelling) Both with the heat and the 'cuse. Sedale played for pretty much everybody, but I remember him hitting jumpers for the Lakers and Sonics. Rory played some for the Kings and Knicks right? And I grew up to Mario Elie. He played for the defunct WBL. (World Basketball league) I remember it was a summer league and the players had to be under 6'4. Very exciting league. He played for the Youngstown Pride. Since I grew up in that area..I got to meet him a whole bunch of times. Since I was a little kid at the time..I guess you could say Mario Elie was my hero. Ok I'm done with my trip down memory lane. Excellent post ClipperSteve!

by Googs on Wed Oct 03, 2007 at 05:06:18 PM PDT

You are not logged in. In order to post a comment, you must be logged in.
If you don't have a member account yet, by all means go make one! Otherwise, log in to comment.

Another great SB Nation site
? 2006 SportsBlogs, Inc.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-03-2007, 11:27 PM
Elliott Elliott Elliott!!!

ChumpDumper
10-03-2007, 11:27 PM
The obsession continues....

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-03-2007, 11:28 PM
I thought Whottt was a Mavs fan.

picnroll
10-03-2007, 11:32 PM
Embarrassing. At least no one as lame as Johnson will ever have his jersy retired again. Maybe in a hundred years they can hide his behind some legitimate NBA stars' jerseys.

exstatic
10-03-2007, 11:43 PM
Avery Johnson was a hustling scrub. He was smart, and did good interviews and said the right things. Because of that, his nasty #6 is goin' up.

They usually do these after the game. I wonder if Tim will even stick around.

duncan228
10-03-2007, 11:50 PM
They usually do these after the game. I wonder if Tim will even stick around.

My guess is he will.
No matter how he feels about it.

He's a Spur, he's the leader of the Spurs, and he'll show the Team the respect.

If the organization wants to do this, he'll represent his Team.

Gummi
10-04-2007, 12:16 AM
I don't know. I guess anybody could argue if it's right or not. If fans look at his numbers then no, but his value to the team then possibly yes. It's nice for Avery to get this honor but I'm sure if the Spurs wouldn't have decided to retire his jersey he wouldn't feel disrespected.

Walter Craparita
10-04-2007, 12:35 AM
I'm convinced this is some head game the Spurs are using for the Mavs-Spurs WCF matchup this upcoming year.

AJ up there with iceman and D Rob? Weak Sauce.

timvp
10-04-2007, 12:38 AM
I know I look for my Spurs news in Clipper blogs. :tu

T Park
10-04-2007, 12:56 AM
Tim Duncan not liking Avery Johnson is such a huge load of bs.......

saporvida
10-04-2007, 12:57 AM
Avery Johnson is such a huge load of bs.......

T Park
10-04-2007, 01:16 AM
Yeah being a great leader is bs.

saporvida
10-04-2007, 01:28 AM
Yeah being a great leader is bs.

i can see why you love aj... must be the same reason why you like beno. they both suck(ed)!

whottt
10-04-2007, 01:52 AM
Timvp....

You can attack me as the face of the AJ hate all you want...

But if I had that kind of persuasive power Drob would be a no brainer top 5 C of all time...

The fact of the matter is, AJ makes his own enemies, he's burned his own bridges...and he's making his own bed.

It's all him...

And he is without a doubt, the most over-rated player in Spurs history.

He's a shithead, he always was kind of shithead, but he really became one after 99...and you are blind to it...stuck in the euphoria of 1999.

AJ was the little kid that got beat up by the bully every day and then one day he finally beat the bully up...to the cheers of everyone...

And then he became the new bully.

That's exactly what he did.

Reality.

He's getting his jersey up there...but it's not going to be pretty.

AJ better be at his sweet talking best when they hang that jersey...it's his last chance to do it the right way. He better say all the right things.......or that jersey hanging up there is going to be more of a curse than a blessing.

timvp
10-04-2007, 01:58 AM
whottt on the same side as Sequ and some Clipper blogger. David Robinson, Sean Elliott, Gregg Popovich and Peter Holt on my side.

I'm pretty confident in my company.

milkyway21
10-04-2007, 03:00 AM
nice read.

Think the Hornets are planning to retire Muggsy Bogues' jersey any time soon? :lmao

Obstructed_View
10-04-2007, 03:58 AM
Mario Elie was just as important to that first title, wasn't he?
Sad when a Clippers fan knows more about the '99 title run than some self-appointed Spurs experts do.

timvp
10-04-2007, 04:04 AM
Sad when a Clippers fan knows more about the '99 title run than some self-appointed Spurs experts do.Pop, Holt, Robinson, Elliott, etc. are "self-appointed Spurs experts"?

If Elie had AJ's tenure with the Spurs, his jersey probably would be retired, too. But he played here two years. The second of which he was all but done as an NBA player.

picnroll
10-04-2007, 06:22 AM
Spurs will have managed to have the least accomplished PG to ever have their number retired. I guess that's an accomplishment.

SRJ
10-04-2007, 10:16 AM
Not surprisingly, this entry is full of distortion:

That's right - the Spurs are going to retire the jersey of a guy who averaged 8 points and 5.5 assists in his career.

Avery Johnson is not having his jersey retired for his entire career, he is having his jersey retired for his tenure AS A SPUR. Morons like this keep referring to his career average, which is irrelevant here.

Obviously Avery's stats aren't too impressive as a Spur either, but they're a lot more solid than his career numbers. And Avery's case is not a statistical one anyway.

Johnny Moore had four consecutive seasons where he averaged 9.6 or more assists beginning with his second season in the NBA. He led the league in assists per game in 81-82 and was in the top 5 three other seasons. And he was a contemporary of a guy named Magic Johnson and another guy named Isiah Thomas, so leading the league in assists per game meant a LOT. He was among the best point guards in the league during his brief career, which was cut tragically short when he was diagnosed with Valley Fever. He never played another full season.

Artis Gilmore routinely shot 60% for his career, George Gervin was a four time scoring champion, and Mike Mitchell was a 20 point scorer for his career. And back in the '80's, scoring all over the league was up compared with the 1990s and official scorekeepers were handing out assists like there was a surplus of them down at the plant.

But of course, no one ever examines context. Let's just look at the raw averages and be done with it, right?

The Spurs, now planning to retire his jersey, were so enamored of him in 1991 that they WAIVED him.

And of course, that was the end of Avery Johnson's tenure in San Antonio. :rolleyes

Yeah, in three stretches because they never actually kept the guy. He didn't even finish his career with the team.

Neither did almost every player who had a jersey retired by a team. Your point?

Databasebasketball.com has a little feature that compares players careers based purely on the numbers. Here are some players whose careers are similar to Avery Johnson's: Vern Fleming, Eric Show, Sedale Threatt, Muggsy Bogues, Jay Humphries, Sherman Douglas and Rory Sparrow. Think the Hornets are planning to retire Muggsy Bogues' jersey any time soon?

Databasebasketball.com has a little feature that compares players careers based purely on the numbers.

Databasebasketball.com has a little feature that compares players careers based purely on the numbers.

I thought I'd isolate this part of the quote, bold it, and repeat it a few times just to illustrate how absurd this position is. Basically, this blogger suggests that the formula to retiring a jersey is that a player should average X points, Y rebounds, and Z assists for N years. That's it. Let us consider nothing else.

That's fucking hogwash.

In fact, I'll stop here because every argument he makes is tied to this stupid idea. I've wasted too much time on it as it is.

picnroll
10-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Too bad for Vaughn didn't play for the Spurs in the 90s. He would have beat out Avery for the starting position and could have had his number retired instead.

Walter Craparita
10-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Del Negro better get his number raised. If not, racism!

thispego
10-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Spurs will have managed to have the least accomplished PG to ever have their number retired. I guess that's an accomplishment.
:lmao

Extra Stout
10-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Tim will play nice, but you know exactly what word he'll be thinking every time he looks up and sees #6 in the rafters...

Retarded.

SenorSpur
10-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Del Negro better get his number raised. If not, racism!

That may be one of the reasons Avery was so beloved, because he suceeded Vinny Del Black as the Spurs PG. Sure he was an upgrade over Vinny, but hell, I would have been an upgrade over Vinny so that aint saying much.

SequSpur
10-04-2007, 12:29 PM
This article is right on the money. Does anyone have this guys email address? Props to him.

MoSpur
10-04-2007, 01:11 PM
I said the same thing yesterday about how important Mario Ellie was to the first title. I am not saying Mario Ellie should have his jersey raised here in SA. I just don't get why Avery's jersey will be raised here. A great floor leader and smart player with a lot of heart, but to me he doesn't deserve to have his jersey retired here. Just my opinion. I loved Avery when he was here, but don't think the Spurs should do this.

howbouthemspurs
10-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Avery deserves to have his Jersy retired not just because of his average career stats which are mediocre to say the least but for his outstanding leadership on and off the court. For his professionalism and his attitude. He had a great persona about him that help define the team, especially during the spurs first championship season. He is a symbol that, you may not have the greatest talent, or you may not be the fastest or the biggest guy on the court. But If you work hard enough and give it your all, then you can do anything. And thats what he did. He had the biggest heart of any of the spurs players in history. He is an insperation.

Phenomanul
10-04-2007, 02:10 PM
I thought I'd isolate this part of the quote, bold it, and repeat it a few times just to illustrate how absurd this position is. Basically, this blogger suggests that the formula to retiring a jersey is that a player should average X points, Y rebounds, and Z assists for N years. That's it. Let us consider nothing else.

That's fucking hogwash.

In fact, I'll stop here because every argument he makes is tied to this stupid idea. I've wasted too much time on it as it is.

No... he also mentions all-star berths or whether or not the player led the league in some statistical category. While leadership qualities may not have been considered in his 'equation'. He still makes some valid points.

Fact of the matter is, Avery was one of the reasons why Robinson never won a title before Duncan's arrival. The fact that Houston could sag off of Johnson and Del Negro to double and triple-team David led to the Spurs demise in that ill-fated series vs Houston and for that matter the one vs Utah. Think of it this way... Avery's inability to hit jumpers on a consistent basis indirectly lead to the tarnishing of Robinson's legacy. Which leads me to....

timvp... not to start a quarrel with you or anything... as I usually agree with most of your takes. But if Robinson isn't saying anything negative about this issue it is because it is not in his nature to do so. Robinson is all smiles, and encouragement - he would never stoop to the point of criticizing his teammates even if they deserved it - especially not now in his retirement era. The only time I can remember him criticizing someone was Rodman, and it was only after Robinson was badgered by some reporter who was baiting him into making more news (i.e. stirring the pot).

smeagol
10-04-2007, 02:11 PM
whottt on the same side as Sequ and some Clipper blogger.

And ES, and p'nr, and extatic, and . . .

FuzzyLumpkins
10-04-2007, 02:20 PM
whottt on the same side as Sequ and some Clipper blogger. David Robinson, Sean Elliott, Gregg Popovich and Peter Holt on my side.

I'm pretty confident in my company.

its pretty bad when you have to resort to a bandwagon fallacy to try and justify it.

Other than sentimental horseshit there is no justification for his number being retired.

You probably thought Johnson 'earned' that $7 million contract in 2000.

Tek_XX
10-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Tim Duncan better have 20 banners up there because he is the main reason we have titles.

SRJ
10-04-2007, 02:31 PM
No... he also mentions all-star berths or whether or not the player led the league in some statistical category.

That's still too simplistic.

I would honestly have a problem with Avery's honor if jersey retirements were some kind of HOF mirror, but they are not always. 66 players around the NBA have had their jerseys retired despite not being in the HOF, not including Avery - and I'm not counting MJ, DRob, Ewing, any of those not-yet-eligible HOFers. Those guys would make the total 75.

picnroll
10-04-2007, 02:38 PM
That's still too simplistic.

I would honestly have a problem with Avery's honor if jersey retirements were some kind of HOF mirror, but they are not always. 66 players around the NBA have had their jerseys retired despite not being in the HOF, not including Avery - and I'm not counting MJ, DRob, Ewing, any of those not-yet-eligible HOFers. Those guys would make the total 75.
Could you total up those, short of the ones who died while still playing in the NBA, never garnered a single NBA award like all-star birth first, second team NBA offense or defense, sixth man, etc?

SRJ
10-04-2007, 02:48 PM
Could you total up those, short of the ones who died while still playing in the NBA, never garnered a single NBA award like all-star birth first, second team NBA offense or defense, sixth man, etc?

I'm actually in the process of doing that right now, and I can already give you some names: Jim Loscutoff and Don Nelson. That's after surveying only two teams.

Amuseddaysleeper
10-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Even I am appalled at the AJ hate on here

wow

dimsah
10-04-2007, 07:24 PM
Even I am appalled at the AJ hate on here

wow
It's not about hating AJ. It's about whether or not he deserves to be included in the pantheon of Spurs basketball.

I don't hate AJ, but I don't think his number should hang next to 50.

Holt's Cat
10-04-2007, 07:36 PM
No... he also mentions all-star berths or whether or not the player led the league in some statistical category. While leadership qualities may not have been considered in his 'equation'. He still makes some valid points.

Fact of the matter is, Avery was one of the reasons why Robinson never won a title before Duncan's arrival. The fact that Houston could sag off of Johnson and Del Negro to double and triple-team David led to the Spurs demise in that ill-fated series vs Houston and for that matter the one vs Utah. Think of it this way... Avery's inability to hit jumpers on a consistent basis indirectly lead to the tarnishing of Robinson's legacy. Which leads me to....

timvp... not to start a quarrel with you or anything... as I usually agree with most of your takes. But if Robinson isn't saying anything negative about this issue it is because it is not in his nature to do so. Robinson is all smiles, and encouragement - he would never stoop to the point of criticizing his teammates even if they deserved it - especially not now in his retirement era. The only time I can remember him criticizing someone was Rodman, and it was only after Robinson was badgered by some reporter who was baiting him into making more news (i.e. stirring the pot).

The reason the Spurs didn't win a title before TD rests more on DRob than on anyone else. If DRob had AJ's heart the Spurs wouldn't have had to wait until 1999 for their first title.

picnroll
10-04-2007, 07:36 PM
I'm actually in the process of doing that right now, and I can already give you some names: Jim Loscutoff and Don Nelson. That's after surveying only two teams.

If you stick to the players when they didn't give out awards you may have a shot.

Per Wikepidia the peoples' encyclopedia

James Loscutoff
James Loscutoff (born February 4, 1930 in San Francisco, California, United States) was a former professional basketball player for the NBA's Boston Celtics. He attended Grant Tech High School in Oakland, California and later the University of Oregon.
Standing 6'5", Loscutoff was selected with the fourth pick of the first round in the 1955 NBA Draft. In nine seasons from 1955 to 1964, he played forward and won seven championship rings as part of the legendary Celtics teams of the 1960s. He was originally drafted by coach Red Auerbach to provide some much-needed defensive nerve for the Celtics team, which (despite becoming the first side to average 100 points per game in the 1954-55 season) had one of the worst defensive records in the league.
Loscutoff was the Celtics' designated hatchet-man [1], and his mean defense and strength were part of the defensive greatness of the 60s Celtics, alongside fellow Hall-of-Famer Bill Russell.
Loscutoff's nicknames included "Jungle Jim" or "Loscy". His #18 jersey was retired by the Celtics, but reactivated for fellow Celtics great Dave Cowens. It has subsequently been re-retired. In the spaces where the Celtics numbers are retired, Loscutoff's says "Loscy."

Don Nelson
After a very successful high school career at Rock Island High School (IL) Nelson graduated from the University of Iowa in 1962 as a two-time All-American averaging 21.1 points and 10.5 rebounds a game. He was drafted 19th overall by the Chicago Zephyrs of the NBA. He played for the Zephyrs one season, and was sold to the Los Angeles Lakers in 1963. After two years with the Lakers, he was signed by the Boston Celtics.
In his first season with Boston, Nelson averaged 10.2 points and 5.4 rebounds, helping the Celtics to the 1966 NBA title as one of their role players. Four more championships with Boston followed in 1968, 1969, 1974, and 1976. A model of consistency, Nelson would average more than 10 points per game every season between 1968-69 and 1974-75 (before the introduction of the three-point shot). He led the NBA in field-goal percentage in 1974-75. Nelson was coined as one of the best "sixth men" ever to play in the NBA. He was also known for his distinctive one-handed style for shooting free throws. Nelson retired as a player following the 1975-76 season. His number 19 jersey was retired to the Boston Garden rafters in 1978.

Avery Johnson
Upon graduation in 1988 Johnson was not selected in the NBA Draft. After a summer season with the USBL's Palm Beach Stingrays, however, Johnson was signed by the Seattle SuperSonics and managed to spend the next 16 years playing in the NBA, including stints with the Denver Nuggets, Houston Rockets,Golden State Warriors, and Dallas Mavericks. A true journeyman as a player, occasionally being traded, or even waived, mid-season, Johnson is most well-known for his time with the San Antonio Spurs (1991, 1992-1993, 1994-2000), particularly his integral role on the 1999 Spurs team that won the NBA championship against the New York Knicks in which he hit the series-clinching shot in Game 5.

I think that pretty well sums it up but keep on plugging away for the "true journeyman" number 6*.

Holt's Cat
10-04-2007, 07:47 PM
AJ is given grief for being a point with a career average of 5 assists a night (nevermind that his Spurs' career average was significantly higher and he had 5 seasons of 7+ a night including the 1995-96 season in which he had a 9.6 assist per game average). Well, what's the career average of the Spurs' starting point today? Yep, 5.4 a night.

SRJ
10-04-2007, 07:50 PM
If you stick to the players when they didn't give out awards you may have a shot.

They already had All-Star games, All-NBA teams, MVPs, Rookie of the Year when Nelson and Loscutoff played.

dimsah
10-04-2007, 07:52 PM
AJ is given grief for being a point with a career average of 5 assists a night (nevermind that his Spurs' career average was significantly higher and he had 5 seasons of 7+ a night including the 1995-96 season in which he had a 9.6 assist per game average). Well, what's the career average of the Spurs' starting point today? Yep, 5.4 a night.
You're out of your fucking mind. First you throw Drob and Elliott under the bus and label them chokers then you compare TPs assist average to AJs when we know TP is a shoot first point guard and AJ was a pass first point guard.
Not to mention TP has 3 rings(3>1), won the Finals fucking MVP and is 10 times the player that AJ was.

Holt's Cat
10-04-2007, 07:55 PM
AJ averaged 10 points and 7 assists a night as a San Antonio Spur.

Bruce Bowen has averaged 7 points and 3.2 boards a night as a San Antonio Spur.

But, I know, Bruce is a leader on the team, is respected in the community, and has brass ones.

Holt's Cat
10-04-2007, 07:57 PM
You're out of your fucking mind.

No, you are. I'm just here to kick you around for 10 minutes.

First you throw Drob and Elliott under the bus and label them chokers

Because they were big time clutch players prior to TD showing up.

then you compare TPs assist average to AJs when we know TP is a shoot first point guard and AJ was a pass first point guard.

So assist totals don't matter unless Avery Johnson is the subject.

Not to mention TP has 3 rings(3>1), won the Finals fucking MVP and is 10 times the player that AJ was.

TP won 3 rings and that MVP riding the coattails. Get real.

picnroll
10-04-2007, 07:59 PM
They already had All-Star games, All-NBA teams, MVPs, Rookie of the Year when Nelson and Loscutoff played.
3rd team all-NBA, defensive all-NBA, 6th man. Loscutoff would easily have made some all-defense and Nelson likely 6th man. And I'd say key players in teams that won 5 or 6 titles might trump AJ.

picnroll
10-04-2007, 08:03 PM
AJ averaged 10 points and 7 assists a night as a San Antonio Spur.

Bruce Bowen has averaged 7 points and 3.2 boards a night as a San Antonio Spur.

But, I know, Bruce is a leader on the team, is respected in the community, and has brass ones.
You have to be kidding. You're talking about the guy who's been runner up for DPOY the last few years and been on multiple all NBA defensive teams against a guy who DRob had to cover his ass on D and who couldn't break down the defense of a YMCA summer league team, right?

Holt's Cat
10-04-2007, 08:08 PM
You have to be kidding. You're talking about the guy who's been runner up for DPOY the last few years and been on multiple all NBA defensive teams against a guy who DRob had to cover his ass on D and who couldn't break down the defense of a YMCA summer league team, right?

Wow, runner up for DPOY. I know, he's a team leader.

No All-Star appearances. No All-NBA teams.

Unworthy.

=RTM=
10-04-2007, 08:12 PM
=I am going to go ahead and risk Tpark's personal insults as he gives me another lecture on how many jobs I should have before I am worthy to post here @ ST (like 3 jobs are not enough) and say this.... I honestly feel the main reason to retire #6 is due to the fact that the Spurs cannot give another player that number w/o having to deal with all the upset fans.

So they may as well do so and move on. After all what happens if Pop steps down and AJ takes over the Spurs team? How much crow will be eaten here as most of you back pedal and change your hateful comments you have already made?=

SRJ
10-04-2007, 08:37 PM
And I'd say key players in teams that won 5 or 6 titles might trump AJ.

You know who the key players were for the Boston Celtics? Chronologically:

Bill Russell
Bob Cousy
Frank Ramsey
Tom Heinsohn
Sam Jones
John Havlicek
Dave Cowens
JoJo White

At best, Nelson was like the 5th best guy on those teams - just like Avery in 1999. Loscutoff wasn't even that.

xmas1997
10-04-2007, 11:59 PM
IMHO, I personally have no hate for AJ, but that doesn't mean he deserves his jersey retired, so I think it is probably more a Holt, Pop, and FO decision moreso than from fan reaction or personal accomplishments which are meager at best.

Man of Steel
10-05-2007, 12:12 AM
I don't hate Aj--and I have to admit I've changed my mind on this subject 10x the amount than Mitt Romney, Rudy G and Fred Thompson have flip-flopped on their political views.

But I don't think AJ deserves this high of an award. Maybe some other kind of recognition--but these awards are for guys like Robinson, Manu, Parker, Elie, Bowen...guys like them.

Obstructed_View
10-05-2007, 07:34 AM
Pop, Holt, Robinson, Elliott, etc. are "self-appointed Spurs experts"?
No, they are his friends. The fact that you persist in attempting to put yourself in that group indicates to me that you are doing it with a straght face. That's interesting.

If Elie had AJ's tenure with the Spurs, his jersey probably would be retired, too. But he played here two years. The second of which he was all but done as an NBA player.
I wouldn't be in favor of having Elie's jersey retired any more than I'm in favor of having AJ's retired. But not much less, either. It certainly won't bother me, as he was one of my favorite players. If "because we love him" is the reason, then I'm all for it. Those of us trying to make some objective argument about it are going to have a hard time.