PDA

View Full Version : Current Spurs vs 90\'s Bulls

xbocker
12-22-2007, 11:06 AM
Well, I gave it a try and sent an email to \"Reggie\'s Mailbag\" asking him that question and he replied back. This is what He had to say.

Me:-

Hi,
My question is, if the Current San Antonio Spurs (2003-2007) were to
face the 90\'s Bulls in a 7 game series, who would win?? Consider the
Bulls team before Jordan\'s 93 retirement and after.

Reggie Miller:-

Very good match up, better then most would think.. I personally like the Bulls team that had Dennis Rodman, him matching up with Duncan would be fun to watch.. Still would go with Bulls in 6.. No one could match up with his Airness, Scottie would lock down Tony (yes Tony) at point or even Manu!!!!

Reggie

ArgSpursFan.
12-22-2007, 11:33 AM
spurs in 7.
why?Duncan would've killed Rodman or any other Bull big guy in the paint and Bruce is a better perimetral Defender tham anyone was in the 90's.
Yes,Bruce Fucking Bowen could've stop or atleast bother MJ enough to get him pissed and out of rithm.
Just imagine Bruce doing his thing on MJ like He did on Lebron last year in the finals.

TDMVPDPOY
12-22-2007, 11:37 AM
bruce bowen wouldve put mj or pippen on the injured list

duncan>bulls

xbocker
12-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Isiah Thomas resembled Tony Parker. They were both fast, quick, and can penetrate in the hole. Who did they put to stop thomas?? a young Scottie Pippen. Now imaging a grown scottie pippen (in his late 20s) on tony parker? He would have shut him down. As for Dennis Rodman, he was a bigger and taller version of bruce bowen. He would irritate the players and get them pissed as well. You don't remember the Bulls Jazz series and how Rodman pissed the fuck out of Malone?? Rodman may not shutdown Tim Duncan but he will sure slow him down. Michael Jordan is the best scorer in NBA HIstory. Over his whole career he averaged 30 points a game. Gary Payton was the greatest defender in the history of the game back in the 90's. Was he able to stop Michael?? OF course not, how do you think the bulls won the 96 finals series. If an Allstar Payton couldn't stop Jordan then no fucking way Bruce Bowen could stop Michael.

To conclude, Bulls would win in 6 against the spurs.

wildbill2u
12-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Interesting speculation. The Bulls were essentially a two man team of Pippen and Jordan. The Spurs have the Big Three. Three>Two.

I'd compare Bowen and Rodman as far as being the next tier down players on their respective teams. Both have great skills at what they do best. Add them to the mix and you get Four > Three.

I'd like to think the Spurs would win, but anyone would pay to watch that series.

timmy21_4rings
12-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Bulls in 6... Scotie is the most underrated player and a ball handler. I would choose Scotie (for the defensive purpose alone...forget about his offense) over Bowen any day. Bowen is a great defender too but I think Scotie is simply better.

Scotie would own Tony and MJ would own Manu. Rodman would give hard times to Duncan (may be the best defender that could defend Duncan).

Bruce can give hard times to MJ. If it happens, there will be no one to effectively defend Scotie.

At the end of the day, fans would be the ultimate winners. Fans will have some posters of MJ dunking on Duncan and Duncan blocking MJ. Good entertainment.

ArgSpursFan.
12-22-2007, 04:01 PM
.Gary Payton was the greatest defender in the history of the game back in the 90's. Was he able to stop Michael?? OF course not, how do you think the bulls won the 96 finals series. If an Allstar Payton couldn't stop Jordan then no fucking way Bruce Bowen could stop Michael.
defense wise: Bowen>>>>Payton in his prime.
I don't know If bruce would've been actually able to stop MJ to score 20 but I'm sure He would've stoped and bothered him in order to keep him about 20 ppg in a 7 series game.
As far as Rodman bothering Duncan: No one can get Duncan Pissed,I mean The guy is stone cold,just as Manu,so Rodman would've not been able to get him out of focus at all.

To conclude, Bulls would win in 6 against the spurs.

To conclude,you've got no idea what you're talking about.
BTW, the Spurs right now>>>90's Jazz ,Suns and Blazers.
Spurs in 7.

Ignignokt
12-22-2007, 05:35 PM
Isiah was not as quick as parker.

CarefreeAZ
12-22-2007, 05:45 PM
I would have liked to have seen the 3peat Lakers(2000-2002) go up against the 3peat Bulls(1990-1992).

MONTENEGRINO
12-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Yes,Bruce Fucking Bowen could've stop or atleast bother MJ enough to get him pissed and out of rithm.
Just imagine Bruce doing his thing on MJ like He did on Lebron last year in the finals.
LOL! There's difference, M- LBJ, you know. MJ would kill anybody, just like he used to.
It would be better TO NOT GET MJ PISSED, cause he (for difference of todays stars) only get better then. Dan Maerle pissed him once...:D

Dave McNulla
12-22-2007, 06:09 PM
i think the spurs would let bruce go one-on-one with jordan and stay at home on everybody else except rodman (or is it grant?). pippen would be a non-factor. paxson (or is it kerr?) would be a non-factor. i think the spurs could run (or grind, take you pick) the bulls into the ground. even better if they are playing hand-check rules of the 90's and no zone.

spurs in 5

m33p0
12-22-2007, 07:10 PM
Bowen would have loved playing 90s defense. all the things that he does that people nowadays call cheating were non-calls back then. he would have been allowed to handcheck MJ to no end. still, i don't think it would have bothered Jordan.

duncan is the spurs' biggest advantage over the bulls especially the pre-rodman bulls and should be exploited to the hilt. against pre-rodman bulls, spurs in 6. against the rodman bulls, bulls in 6.

He would irritate the players and get them pissed as well. You don't remember the Bulls Jazz series and how Rodman pissed the fuck out of Malone??

anyone can easily piss off Malone. he's too self conscious.

As far as Rodman bothering Duncan: No one can get Duncan Pissed,I mean The guy is stone cold,just as Manu,so Rodman would've not been able to get him out of focus at all.

madsen did. i actually like to see a pissed off duncan playing. he's alot more focused and aggressive when he's pissed off. i'd imagine duncan taking rodman outside and spinning around him. the biggest weakness of the bulls is their inability to effectively guard a dominant low post big man. malone was never dominant on the post. he was all jumpshot.

ArgSpursFan.
12-23-2007, 09:36 AM
Another thing that people is not considering here are the coachs and systems.
If the series were played in the 90's Jackson>Pop
But if the series would've been played today Pop>>Jackson
And defense wins championships, and the spurs have the Best D systems master in Pop.

RC's Boss
12-23-2007, 09:44 AM
I'm a Spurs fan, but the '96 Bulls would beat ANY team in a 7-game series.

RC's Boss
12-23-2007, 09:53 AM
Another thing that people is not considering here are the coachs and systems.
If the series were played in the 90's Jackson>Pop
But if the series would've been played today Pop>>Jackson
And defense wins championships, and the spurs have the Best D systems master in Pop.
The trio of Jordan, Pippen, and Harper was the best perimeter defense I have ever witnessed. They never really had a shot blocker, nor did they need one. Their shit was just that sickening!

SouthernFried
12-23-2007, 10:53 AM
Everyone underestimates the Spurs every year. They only grudgingly accept them after 4 championships.

So, underestimating them in classic matchups is no surprise.

I, unfortunately, think this will be the Spurs legacy. "Yeah, the Spurs won 6 Championships...but, how 'bout those Bulls! Now THAT was team!"

So it goes...

TDMVPDPOY
12-23-2007, 12:43 PM
The trio of Jordan, Pippen, and Harper was the best perimeter defense I have ever witnessed. They never really had a shot blocker, nor did they need one. Their shit was just that sickening!

but the bulls weakness was havin a weak bench, but that didnt matter cause jordan played 40mpg+

spurs only advantage is duncan and bench only...spurs in 4

peskypesky
12-23-2007, 01:57 PM
Didn't the Spurs recently sweep the new MJ in the Finals? Nuff said. :)

m33p0
12-24-2007, 04:19 AM

if that was the new MJ, the league needs a serious upgrade.

KidCongo
12-24-2007, 06:57 AM

and Gibson was Scottie or was it Sasha??

Texas_Ranger
12-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Spurs in 5.

gamuza
12-24-2007, 11:14 AM
and Gibson was Scottie or was it Sasha??

:drunk :drunk :drunk

Bulls in 3 :hat

remingtonbo2001
12-24-2007, 12:44 PM
I think the difference would be the coaching.

Pop would shut down their outside shooters.

Chicago relayed more on Paxon/Kerr/Hodge than many are willing to credit.

They lined up Pippen and Jordan with an arsenal of shooters.

If you take out there shooters, let Pippen pull 20 pts, and Bowen do his work on Jordan...I honestly don't think the Bulls could beat the Spurs.

They're just too deep. Teams are much more deep today then they were 10 years ago.

Manu is rediculously crafty. Horry would hit the big shot if needed. Really, you could put Horry on Pippen for short spurts. The Spurs would present HUGE matchup problems for the Bulls. If we're also counting 03' then I guess that means we get D-Rob back, too. If that's the case the Bulls are screwed. They might as well camp out on the perimeter, cause they aint getting by two 7 footers, not even his airness.

ArgSpursFan.
12-24-2007, 12:49 PM
Another thing that people is not considering here are the coaches and Defensive systems.

..defense wins championships, and the spurs have the Best D systems master in Pop.
Spurs in 7

exactly my thoughts. :fro

daslicer
12-24-2007, 02:02 PM
but the bulls weakness was havin a weak bench, but that didnt matter cause jordan played 40mpg+

spurs only advantage is duncan and bench only...spurs in 4

The bulls didn't have a bad bench. Kukock, Kerr, Randy Brown, Wennington isn't to shabby.

stang65
12-24-2007, 02:59 PM
Having D-Rob, Jackson and Claxton may put us over the top but no telling.

urunobili
12-24-2007, 03:02 PM
Spurs in 6... no question

Armando
12-24-2007, 03:57 PM
spurs in 7.
why?Duncan would've killed Rodman or any other Bull big guy in the paint and Bruce is a better perimetral Defender tham anyone was in the 90's.

Bowen is a great defender no doubt but MJ played against better defenders in an era where defenders were allowed to be more physical. He faced the likes of Payton and Joe Dumars. If he were playing today with how the rules are enforced it will be 2 hours of him at the free throw line.

Armando
Bulls in 7

BonnerDynasty
Spurs in 2. MJ gives up after losing the first two in CHI.

Dex
12-24-2007, 04:38 PM
Bobcats in 4

Dave McNulla
12-24-2007, 05:06 PM
Bowen is a great defender no doubt but MJ played against better defenders in an era where defenders were allowed to be more physical. He faced the likes of Payton and Joe Dumars. If he were playing today with how the rules are enforced it will be 2 hours of him at the free throw line.payton and dumars were allowed to do more defensively, therefore they were better defenders? if joe dumars played today, he'd be fouling out. if payton played today... wait, we already saw what happened to his defensive reputation when the rules changed.

the other thing is they call traveling a lot more now. let's see his airness try to get away with the two-foot, pre-dribble hop - it ain't happening. and the bulls never faced a zone defense.

ArgSpursFan.
12-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Pop took the Difensive systems,and defense mentallity and consistensy to a higher level,that's the bottom line and the key to win a championship series.

Cry Havoc
12-24-2007, 06:55 PM
So if Pippen is on Parker, and Rodman is on Duncan, who the hell is going to shut down Manu on that Bulls team? Harper? LOLZ mmkay, when Manu is on (and you better believe he would step it up against a team like the Bulls) the best defenders in the league can't stop him, just repeatedly let him score or send him to the line.

I think it would be a 7 game series, either way. Bowen wouldn't be able to shut down Jordan, anymore than Rodman would get continuously schooled by Duncan. Duncan would be Rodman's worst nightmare, due the fact that Timmy wouldn't commit stupid fouls. The reason Rodman was so great on defense is that he let other players try to use their athleticism to beat him, and then he gets them out of position for bad shots/easy blocks.

It would never, ever happen with Duncan. Rodman would have an effect, but Duncan would have him in foul trouble every game. No Bulls post-defense = Spurs win in 7. If Rodman stays out of trouble, Jordan would be tough to beat.

Doctor J
12-24-2007, 07:35 PM
I do not think the current Spurs could beat the 90s Bulls.

They have a shot. But It will be very difficult.

Please don't forget Toni Kukoc. He will create match-up problems for the current Spurs.

But if the series is between the 90s Bulls and the 1999 Spurs......?

Hell, yeah. I believe the 99 Spurs can beat them in 6. Why not?

peskypesky
12-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Bowen wouldn't be able to shut down Jordan, anymore than Rodman would get continuously schooled by Duncan.

But you see, Bowen doesn't have to shut down Jordan all by himself. The Spurs have won their Championships with TEAM defense. That's how they SWEPT Lebron just a few months ago.

freemeat
12-24-2007, 09:51 PM
I don't think this happens against the current Spurs team.

Horry would've knocked Pippen on his ass!

s5TGAd9fq5o

(I love this new embedded youtube thing!)

MONTENEGRINO
12-24-2007, 11:10 PM
I love Timmy, he is my favorite of all time, and Spurs are my team, but 90' Bulls would beat todays Spurs in 6, maybe even in 5 games... Who would defend Jordan? Who would defend Pip? Bruce? Many? Jordan would shut down Many, no problem, Bruce well matched by Harper. Only Timmy from Spurs without good enough defender on him... So, Tim is bigger than MJ and Pip? Bigger than MJ? :toast

If Raef could do it (on David and Tim at the same time!), probably PIP couldnt, huh?:D :dizzy
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/2050797.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1934A2752006EF5F0EDF2DDB13A1EF4A294 5A5397277B4DC33E

MONTENEGRINO
12-24-2007, 11:12 PM
Come on people... it's 90's Bulls...

MONTENEGRINO
12-24-2007, 11:16 PM
I don't think this happens against the current Spurs team.

Horry would've knocked Pippen on his ass!

s5TGAd9fq5o

(I love this new embedded youtube thing!)

So, you find Kobe better than MJ in 90's ??? :p: :p: :p:
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/50842792.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1939847EC77F5F8D1CE1E162FF9F1BD35FE A40A659CEC4C8CB6

freemeat
12-24-2007, 11:22 PM
If Raef could do it (on David and Tim at the same time!), probably PIP couldnt, huh?:D :dizzy

I'm just not so quick to think that the Bulls could have beaten this team in a 7-game.

Oh well...there will always be the debate, but with no discernible answer, which is why I don't like to get involved in threads like these in the first place.

It's different when you have debates like Lakers/Spurs. The Lakers were dominate for three years, until they met the '03 Spurs.

There's no way to ever settle a debate like this. That being said, since I've now thrown in my two cents, I'll just throw another cog in this shit:

The best basketball player of all time was Wilt Chamberlain. Michael Jordan is a close second.

I'll take the '71-'72 Lakers over ANY Bulls team. Ever.

hitmanyr2k
12-25-2007, 06:03 PM
So if Pippen is on Parker, and Rodman is on Duncan, who the hell is going to shut down Manu on that Bulls team? Harper? LOLZ mmkay, when Manu is on (and you better believe he would step it up against a team like the Bulls) the best defenders in the league can't stop him, just repeatedly let him score or send him to the line.

I think the Bulls would most likely put Pippen on Ginobili (especially in crunch time) and keep Harper on Parker. I think Harper's quick feet and length would bother Parker similar to what Marion did to Parker in last year's playoffs against the Suns. Since Bowen is such a non-factor on offense they would probably stick Jordan on him so he could conserve energy for offense. The Bulls were so interchangeable on defense they could really switch and pull spot duty on any of the Spurs' perimeter players if necessary.

I think it would be a 7 game series, either way. Bowen wouldn't be able to shut down Jordan, anymore than Rodman would get continuously schooled by Duncan. Duncan would be Rodman's worst nightmare, due the fact that Timmy wouldn't commit stupid fouls. The reason Rodman was so great on defense is that he let other players try to use their athleticism to beat him, and then he gets them out of position for bad shots/easy blocks.

It would never, ever happen with Duncan. Rodman would have an effect, but Duncan would have him in foul trouble every game. No Bulls post-defense = Spurs win in 7. If Rodman stays out of trouble, Jordan would be tough to beat.

Never say never. I'm not sure how Duncan would be Rodman's worst nightmare. The guy defended a variety of players in Shaq, Zo, Kemp, and Malone during the Bulls title runs. Rodman actually had trouble with the quick, super athletic big men (like Kemp) when playing defense. Rodman preferred playing the methodical post players in the mold of Shaq, Zo (and Duncan) because Rodman's greatest strength was that he rarely gave ground when being posted up (even Shaq had trouble backing him down in the '96 ECF) which usually resulted in the offensive player not getting his sweet spot to take the shot. And too many times in the last few years I've watched Duncan toss up some weak stuff when he couldn't get to his sweet spot on the floor. Duncan's game is tailor made for Rodman's kind of defense.

I think the 2nd 3-peat Bulls take the series in 6. The '98 team is the most vulnerable out of the bunch because Jordan, Pippen and Rodman were obviously aging and battling injury by the last title run so that series would probably go 7. However, the '96 and '97 teams had too much length, too much savvy and the ultimate offensive/defensive tandem in Jordan and Pippen. I would never bet against them.

Now the first 3 peat Bulls is a different story. I think the Spurs would have a much greater chance of beating those teams or at least taking it to 7 games (despite Jordan and Pippen being at their athletic peaks) for the following reasons...

1. No Ron Harper. While Paxson and BJ Armstrong were great 3 point shooters they didn't have the quickness or the length to stay with Tony Parker. And since they were primarily spot-up shooters they didn't have the offensive tools to make Parker work on the defensive end either.

2. No Dennis Rodman. Horace Grant was a very hard worker and good on the boards but not near the class of Dennis Rodman when it came to defense (especially in the post) and he would truly get abused by Duncan.

3. No Kukoc. The first 3peat team didn't have a mismatch nightmare like Kukoc coming off the bench which put even more pressure on Jordan and Pippen to be at their offensive best.

4. The center position was far weaker. The center by committee (Wennington and Longley) of the 2nd 3peat kept defenses honest because they could knock down the 15-18 footer consistently when defenses collapsed on Jordan/Pippen penetrations and post-ups. The first 3peat centers (Cartwright, Perdue, and Stacey King) were horrendous offensive players and nothing more than 6 fouls apiece. Again, this put more pressure on Jordan and Pippen to be at their offensive best and against a defensive team like the Spurs that spells trouble.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-26-2007, 11:49 AM
I think the Spurs are a better team defensively. What they did to Lebron in last year's finals was a beautiful thing to see.

However, I think the refs would give Mike the benefit of so many calls that San Antonio would end up losing the series, and MJ would probably average 20+ points from the free throw line alone.

I used to cheer against the Bulls, and I remember that everytime Michael missed, especially in crucial games, he'd be at the free throw line. I remember a lot of phantom calls going Jordan's way, and why not? He was the NBA. His winning meant success for the league. You can't really blame the powers that be for making it easy for him.

ancestron
12-26-2007, 12:01 PM
The 90's Bulls would've beaten these Spurs in a 7 game series.
I am a huge Spurs fan, but you have to be realistic. Look at all the superstars from the 90's who don't have rings because Jordan took them all.
Jordan was God in sneakers during his prime. I think it would be close, I think it would be an incredible matchup at almost all positions, but his airness would piss us off just like the fans of every other team in the 90's not named "Bulls".

ATXSPUR
12-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Spurs in five. We get Horry to take MJ out. j/k :p:

Warlord23
12-26-2007, 06:10 PM
Bulls in 6.

Perimeter players:
Pippen/Jordan/Harper/Kerr/Buechler v/s Bowen/Ginobili/Parker/Finley/Barry

They are better on both sides of the ball. Defensively, it is not even close. Pippen/Jordan were both top 5 perimeter defenders. We have 1 in Bowen. Harper is better than both Manu and Parker defensively. Offensively, Jordan is not the same as Lebron. Lebron has raw physicality but that's it. MJ could finish at the rim, was surprisingly strong in the post and could pull up for the 20-footer. Couple this with ruthless shot-selection and you have a versatile and efficient offensive force. Spurs have a slight edge in 3-point shooting. Rebounding: both Jordan and Pippen were tremendous rebounders. They'd eat our backcourt (and some of our frontcourt) alive on the boards.

Big men:
Duncan/Horry/Oberto/Elson/Bonner v/s Rodman/Longley/Kukoc/Wennington/Caffey

Duncan, obviously is who the Spurs would bank on both offensively and defensively. The other bigs don't compare well with the Bulls bigs. Kukoc was a versatile 6'10" forward who could handle, shoot, pass: a mismatch for us even if we put Horry on him. Rodman is probably the best rebounder of the modern era and a terrific man defender. Longley, Caffey and Wennington were in the same ballpark as Oberto/Elson/Bonner. Horry is the Spurs' X-factor with defense and clutch shooting. Spurs have an edge in the frontcourt, but not as big as the Bulls' backcourt does.

Coaching: Phil v/s Pop
Phil and Tex's theory is simple: if the triangle is execued to perfection, it is the most unstoppable offense in basketball. It doesn't have a pre-determined pattern of events like the pick-n-roll or 4-down. It is based on passing, movement without the ball, and decision making. Looks clumsy when executed by a young team (see 2005-06 Lakers), but very difficult to stop if a veteran team runs it. Bulls of 96 were the best offensive and best defensive team of that year, with a gaudy PPG difference of 12.3
Pop is a sound coach, a good X's and O's man, knows how to match-up lineups, when to call timeouts. But his teams have never looked downright dominant or menacing v/s top competition (I'm excluding samples like Cleveland which was too talent-deficient). Detroit in 2005 or Phoenix in 2007 were too close; Dallas in 2003 without the barrage of 3s from SJax and Kerr is something I'd rather not think about.

The rotations I have compared above are the full 10-man rotations. Spurs have a deeper rotation with a better spread of talent, but in tight games coaches go with a 7 or 8 player rotation. And the Bulls have a deadly top 7 in Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Kukoc, Harper, Kerr, Longley. Their swarming defense and triangle execution would prove too much for the Spurs.

remingtonbo2001
12-26-2007, 11:16 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Parker's ability to get to the basket with ease.
There is NO defender on the Bulls which is quick enough to keep up with Tony.
I don't care who you throw at him, he would blow by them every time. He does this on a nightly basis.
This would ultimately devastate the Bulls, and reveal their lack of interior defense.

Timmy would get his.

Manu would could dominate from the half court. He creates well with Fabs.

Yes, if it was 5 on 5, it might be interesting, but with the depth we have, the Bulls really couldn't match our energy. However that's not to say the Spurs don't beat themselves. It happens.

BUT....if the Spurs are playing Spurs Basketball to perfection we cannot be beat.
If the Spurs did this every game (I haven't seen it done more than 2-3 straight games)
We would sweep CHICAGO. You gotta be consistant though, and the Spurs have been known for playing ugly basketball from time to time.

I think the 2001 Lakers could beat the Bulls....This Spurs team is possibily the best team I've seen put together. The Spurs need to stay healthy. That was key with Chicago and all great teams.

Really it comes down to this. Our role players are better than theirs.

Cry Havoc
12-27-2007, 12:26 AM
I think the Bulls would most likely put Pippen on Ginobili (especially in crunch time) and keep Harper on Parker. I think Harper's quick feet and length would bother Parker similar to what Marion did to Parker in last year's playoffs against the Suns. Since Bowen is such a non-factor on offense they would probably stick Jordan on him so he could conserve energy for offense. The Bulls were so interchangeable on defense they could really switch and pull spot duty on any of the Spurs' perimeter players if necessary.

You have to give Tony the jumper, though. And Harper has never guarded anyone as quick as Parker, who is probably in the top 5 players in terms of pure speed to the hoop, in NBA history. His first step is simply unparalleled. Marion bothered Parker, but only because Tony didn't NEED to force the issue. The Spurs destroyed the defense of the Suns last year, so Tony was content to sit on his J, not force the issue, and dole out assists. If we would have ran some pick and rolls for Tony, he would have had Marion absolutely clueless as to how to defend him. TP WILL knock down the 18 footer with regularity these days. But why take that when there are so many other options? No one on Phoenix could guard Timmy or Manu.

Never say never. I'm not sure how Duncan would be Rodman's worst nightmare. The guy defended a variety of players in Shaq, Zo, Kemp, and Malone during the Bulls title runs. Rodman actually had trouble with the quick, super athletic big men (like Kemp) when playing defense. Rodman preferred playing the methodical post players in the mold of Shaq, Zo (and Duncan) because Rodman's greatest strength was that he rarely gave ground when being posted up (even Shaq had trouble backing him down in the '96 ECF) which usually resulted in the offensive player not getting his sweet spot to take the shot. And too many times in the last few years I've watched Duncan toss up some weak stuff when he couldn't get to his sweet spot on the floor. Duncan's game is tailor made for Rodman's kind of defense.

The difference here is that Duncan has the ability to make his man commit silly blocking/shooting fouls, just because he is perhaps the most fundamentally sound bigman of all time. Rodman would bother him, but a couple of Duncan's pump-fakes and Rodman would be in foul trouble. There is a reason teams loathe to put their best defender on Timmy: He doesn't stay in very long afterwards. And I daresay Rodman has never faced a player who is harder to defend. Sure, centers like Shaq and Ewing were harder to -stop-. But Tim's game isn't predicated on dominating you, or overpowering you with his size. He just breaks you down, studies you, and selects the one area of defense that you can't stay with him in. And since Rodman tended to be a hothead, I think he would be prone to getting in foul trouble and losing his temper. Remember, Duncan absolutely TORCHED Ben Wallace in his prime, who plays a game much the same as Rodman did, so much so that Sheed had to come over for help, and summarily Duncan blew through the double team. If Rodman is in foul trouble much of the series, the Spurs odds are very good at winning in 6 or 7.

I think the 2nd 3-peat Bulls take the series in 6. The '98 team is the most vulnerable out of the bunch because Jordan, Pippen and Rodman were obviously aging and battling injury by the last title run so that series would probably go 7. However, the '96 and '97 teams had too much length, too much savvy and the ultimate offensive/defensive tandem in Jordan and Pippen. I would never bet against them.

And the current Spurs don't have length? Manu is a vastly underrated defender and has incredible intangibles. He also has about 3 extra gears to go to when his team needs it. If Manu and Parker are on, the trio could be considered the very best in NBA history, yes, even alongside Jordan/Pippen/x. Parker is absolutely unstoppable when he is on, and the second the Bulls switch over for help on D, their entire team will have problems stopping Duncan inside or the host of Spurs bombers.

You match up Duncan, Horry in playoff mode, Bowen, Manu, and Parker, and there is a ton of length from the 2-5 positions, not to mention a healthy dose of Oberto-Manu off the bench. Obviously Jordan is the best player on the court at any time, but I'll take Duncan-Parker-Manu if all three are on over Jordan-Pippen-Harper or anyone else you want to slide in there. It's not that the Bulls are stoppable. They aren't. But I don't think they've ever faced a team that is as solid on D as the Spurs are. The Spurs would also make for one of the best offenses they have ever faced.

I honestly think it comes down to Manu's play. If he's on, the Spurs take the series. If he's not, the Bulls dispatch the Spurs fairly handily.

nsrammstein
12-27-2007, 04:04 AM
Jordan was so great that spurs fans are taking him for granted, He would shut down Ginobili and he would still drop 40-45pts on the spurs. Sure Duncan would get his but it would not come easy as Rodman would be swarming him everytime he got the ball. I doubt Bruce Bowen would have much of an effect on MJ, If Gary Payton didn't affect MJ's game I seriously doubt Bowen could! Parker would get stuffed or he would get injured if he tried to do some of his fancy layups on Rodman, he would be mentally scarred and he would be afraid to go into the paint because a hard ass nba foul would have him on his ass all series long. Jordan or Pippen could shut him down easily. if he had a good midrange/three point game I would have another opinion. Kukoc comming off the bench would be desastrous. Bulls in 5

Obstructed_View
12-27-2007, 06:43 AM
I think some of you are too young to have actually watched Jordan through his career. Anyone that compares the current Lebron James to Jordan in his prime is delusional. There's nobody like Jordan now. Wade was close starting in the playoffs the year before their Finals run, but Jordan played like that every single game of his career against every hall of famer of that era. It was so frustrating watching the Spurs play the Bulls and seem to be in control until Jordan just took it away.

In my opinion the current Spurs are vastly - far and away - better than any team the Bulls faced in the Finals. I think the Spurs, playing well, would be capable of pushing the series to seven games against a couple of those Bulls teams, and anything can happen in a single game. It would take a number of lucky bounces to beat Jordan though, and I don't think even that's enough to deny him. I never saw anyone stop him when he decided he was going to beat you. I can't say that about any other athlete in history. Tiger Woods comes the closest.