Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Well, I gave it a try and sent an email to \"Reggie\'s Mailbag\" asking him that question and he replied back. This is what He had to say.

Me:-

Hi,
    My question is, if the Current San Antonio Spurs (2003-2007) were to
    face the 90\'s Bulls in a 7 game series, who would win?? Consider the
    Bulls team before Jordan\'s 93 retirement and after.

Reggie Miller:-

Very good match up, better then most would think.. I personally like the Bulls team that had Dennis Rodman, him matching up with Duncan would be fun to watch.. Still would go with Bulls in 6.. No one could match up with his Airness, Scottie would lock down Tony (yes Tony) at point or even Manu!!!!

Reggie

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs in 7.
    why?Duncan would've killed Rodman or any other Bull big guy in the paint and Bruce is a better perimetral Defender tham anyone was in the 90's.
    Yes,Bruce ing Bowen could've stop or atleast bother MJ enough to get him pissed and out of rithm.
    Just imagine Bruce doing his thing on MJ like He did on Lebron last year in the finals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bruce bowen wouldve put mj or pippen on the injured list

duncan>bulls

Banned
    My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Isiah Thomas resembled Tony Parker. They were both fast, quick, and can penetrate in the hole. Who did they put to stop thomas?? a young Scottie Pippen. Now imaging a grown scottie pippen (in his late 20s) on tony parker? He would have shut him down. As for Dennis Rodman, he was a bigger and taller version of bruce bowen. He would irritate the players and get them pissed as well. You don't remember the Bulls Jazz series and how Rodman pissed the out of Malone?? Rodman may not shutdown Tim Duncan but he will sure slow him down. Michael Jordan is the best scorer in NBA HIstory. Over his whole career he averaged 30 points a game. Gary Payton was the greatest defender in the history of the game back in the 90's. Was he able to stop Michael?? OF course not, how do you think the bulls won the 96 finals series. If an Allstar Payton couldn't stop Jordan then no ing way Bruce Bowen could stop Michael.

To conclude, Bulls would win in 6 against the spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting speculation. The Bulls were essentially a two man team of Pippen and Jordan. The Spurs have the Big Three. Three>Two.

I'd compare Bowen and Rodman as far as being the next tier down players on their respective teams. Both have great skills at what they do best. Add them to the mix and you get Four > Three.

I'd like to think the Spurs would win, but anyone would pay to watch that series.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bulls in 6... Scotie is the most underrated player and a ball handler. I would choose Scotie (for the defensive purpose alone...forget about his offense) over Bowen any day. Bowen is a great defender too but I think Scotie is simply better.

Scotie would own Tony and MJ would own Manu. Rodman would give hard times to Duncan (may be the best defender that could defend Duncan).

Bruce can give hard times to MJ. If it happens, there will be no one to effectively defend Scotie.

At the end of the day, fans would be the ultimate winners. Fans will have some posters of MJ dunking on Duncan and Duncan blocking MJ. Good entertainment.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    .Gary Payton was the greatest defender in the history of the game back in the 90's. Was he able to stop Michael?? OF course not, how do you think the bulls won the 96 finals series. If an Allstar Payton couldn't stop Jordan then no ing way Bruce Bowen could stop Michael.
    defense wise: Bowen>>>>Payton in his prime.
    I don't know If bruce would've been actually able to stop MJ to score 20 but I'm sure He would've stoped and bothered him in order to keep him about 20 ppg in a 7 series game.
    As far as Rodman bothering Duncan: No one can get Duncan Pissed,I mean The guy is stone cold,just as Manu,so Rodman would've not been able to get him out of focus at all.

To conclude, Bulls would win in 6 against the spurs

To conclude,you've got no idea what you're talking about.
    BTW, the Spurs right now>>>90's Jazz ,Suns and Blazers.
    Spurs in 7.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Isiah was not as quick as parker.

Believe.
    My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    I would have liked to have seen the 3peat Lakers(2000-2002) go up against the 3peat Bulls(1990-1992).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes,Bruce ing Bowen could've stop or atleast bother MJ enough to get him pissed and out of rithm.
    Just imagine Bruce doing his thing on MJ like He did on Lebron last year in the finals.
    LOL! There's difference, M- LBJ, you know. MJ would kill anybody, just like he used to.
    It would be better TO NOT GET MJ PISSED, cause he (for difference of todays stars) only get better then. Dan Maerle pissed him once...

Always waiting for the next game
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think the spurs would let bruce go one-on-one with jordan and stay at home on everybody else except rodman (or is it grant?). pippen would be a non-factor. paxson (or is it kerr?) would be a non-factor. i think the spurs could run (or grind, take you pick) the bulls into the ground. even better if they are playing hand-check rules of the 90's and no zone.

spurs in 5

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bowen would have loved playing 90s defense. all the things that he does that people nowadays call cheating were non-calls back then. he would have been allowed to handcheck MJ to no end. still, i don't think it would have bothered Jordan.

duncan is the spurs' biggest advantage over the bulls especially the pre-rodman bulls and should be exploited to the hilt. against pre-rodman bulls, spurs in 6. against the rodman bulls, bulls in 6.

He would irritate the players and get them pissed as well. You don't remember the Bulls Jazz series and how Rodman pissed the out of Malone??
    anyone can easily piss off Malone. he's too self conscious.

As far as Rodman bothering Duncan: No one can get Duncan Pissed,I mean The guy is stone cold,just as Manu,so Rodman would've not been able to get him out of focus at all.
    madsen did. i actually like to see a pissed off duncan playing. he's alot more focused and aggressive when he's pissed off. i'd imagine duncan taking rodman outside and spinning around him. the biggest weakness of the bulls is their inability to effectively guard a dominant low post big man. malone was never dominant on the post. he was all jumpshot.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another thing that people is not considering here are the coachs and systems.
    If the series were played in the 90's Jackson>Pop
    But if the series would've been played today Pop>>Jackson
    And defense wins championships, and the spurs have the Best D systems master in Pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a Spurs fan, but the '96 Bulls would beat ANY team in a 7-game series.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another thing that people is not considering here are the coachs and systems.
    If the series were played in the 90's Jackson>Pop
    But if the series would've been played today Pop>>Jackson
    And defense wins championships, and the spurs have the Best D systems master in Pop.
    The trio of Jordan, Pippen, and Harper was the best perimeter defense I have ever witnessed. They never really had a shot blocker, nor did they need one. Their was just that sickening!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone underestimates the Spurs every year. They only grudgingly accept them after 4 championships.

So, underestimating them in classic matchups is no surprise.

I, unfortunately, think this will be the Spurs legacy. "Yeah, the Spurs won 6 Championships...but, how 'bout those Bulls! Now THAT was team!"

So it goes...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The trio of Jordan, Pippen, and Harper was the best perimeter defense I have ever witnessed. They never really had a shot blocker, nor did they need one. Their was just that sickening!
    but the bulls weakness was havin a weak bench, but that didnt matter cause jordan played 40mpg+

spurs only advantage is duncan and bench only...spurs in 4

Thank you, Tim Duncan! peskypesky's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't the Spurs recently sweep the new MJ in the Finals? Nuff said.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if that was the new MJ, the league needs a serious upgrade.

DEEP in the Q
    My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    and Gibson was Scottie or was it Sasha??

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs in 5.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    and Gibson was Scottie or was it Sasha??

Bulls in 3

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the difference would be the coaching.

Pop would shut down their outside shooters.

Chicago relayed more on Paxon/Kerr/Hodge than many are willing to credit.

They lined up Pippen and Jordan with an arsenal of shooters.

If you take out there shooters, let Pippen pull 20 pts, and Bowen do his work on Jordan...I honestly don't think the Bulls could beat the Spurs.

They're just too deep. Teams are much more deep today then they were 10 years ago.

Manu is rediculously crafty. Horry would hit the big shot if needed. Really, you could put Horry on Pippen for short spurts. The Spurs would present HUGE matchup problems for the Bulls. If we're also counting 03' then I guess that means we get D-Rob back, too. If that's the case the Bulls are screwed. They might as well camp out on the perimeter, cause they aint getting by two 7 footers, not even his airness.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another thing that people is not considering here are the coaches and Defensive systems.

..defense wins championships, and the spurs have the Best D systems master in Pop.
    Spurs in 7
    exactly my thoughts.
    Last edited by ArgSpursFan.; 12-24-2007 at 01:09 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but the bulls weakness was havin a weak bench, but that didnt matter cause jordan played 40mpg+

spurs only advantage is duncan and bench only...spurs in 4
    The bulls didn't have a bad bench. Kukock, Kerr, Randy Brown, Wennington isn't to shabby.

Thread Information