PDA

View Full Version : Is Jason Kidd going to be traded?

ancestron
02-09-2008, 12:59 PM
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/ancestron/kiddofficespace.jpg

Indazone
02-09-2008, 01:36 PM
I thought Mark Cuban was trying to make a play for him?

remingtonbo2001
02-09-2008, 02:00 PM
:lmao

Findog
02-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Fuck No Cuban aint. What makes you think Dallas needs Kidd?

lefty
02-09-2008, 02:50 PM

Because they have no leader ?

Indazone
02-09-2008, 03:18 PM
I thought it was supposed to be Jason Terry and some cash for Jason Kidd.

exstatic
02-09-2008, 04:13 PM
I thought it was supposed to be Jason Terry and some cash for Jason Kidd.
Terry for Kidd doesn't work, capwise. Terry doesn't even make half Kidd's salary. In fact, the Kidd for Terry/Stack rumor doesn't even work, capwise.

Findog
02-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Because they have no leader ?

Yes, that bastion of integrity and character Jason Kidd would be great for that.

:rolleyes

Findog
02-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Terry for Kidd doesn't work, capwise. Terry doesn't even make half Kidd's salary. In fact, the Kidd for Terry/Stack rumor doesn't even work, capwise.

Any package centered around Terry or Stack + salaries to match, why would New Jersey want those contracts?

lefty
02-09-2008, 07:27 PM
Yes, that bastion of integrity and character Jason Kidd would be great for that.

:rolleyes

Even so, he still has more balls than Dirk

Findog
02-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Even so, he still has more balls than Dirk

Bullshit he does. Dirk doesn't go crying and sulking when things don't go his way. It takes plenty of mental toughness to do what the Mavs have done: make a Finals, beat the teams they did along the way, win 60+ every year, be professionals when things don't go your way, etc...

The Mavs have never done the amount of whining, foot-stomping and excuse-making like Phoenix does after every playoff exit. They never failed to credit their opponents and be classy about it, no matter what Cuban's anti-ref reputation says.

As for having no balls, would you say that about Tony Parker because he's not playing on bone spurs? Then why is Dirk castigated for going out there with the exact same injury against the Warriors when his team had no shot to do anything in the playoffs without him? And you don't have a leg to stand on if you pull up the Finals, because he was great in the final two games of that series.

lefty
02-09-2008, 08:13 PM
It takes plenty of mental toughness to do what the Mavs have done: make a Finals, beat the teams they did along the way, win 60+ every year, be professionals when things don't go your way,.

And you forgot being destroyed by the 8th seed the following season.

You call that mental toughness.

I call that a collapse.

At least Kidd made back-to-back Finals appearances

Findog
02-09-2008, 08:31 PM
And you forgot being destroyed by the 8th seed the following season.

against 8 seed that went 16-3 when healthy after that trade, with their starting center out with a torn rotator cuff and their MVP hobbled by bone spurs.

At least Kidd made back-to-back Finals appearances

Out of the East. BFD.

JMarkJohns
02-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Out of the East. BFD.

Exactly! Those Nets teams defeated just one 50-win team the two seasons en route to the Finals. ONE. That means in one season they made the Finals without beating a single 50-win team.

There are times out West where you can't escape playing one, even as early as the first round.

Kidd got lucky. Right team, right conference, right time.

That's it.

He's a HOF player, but people make too much out of those Finals appearances.

I had Kidd on my favorite team, remember? He never led the Pheonix Suns past the first round. NOT ONCE! He had homecourt at least twice and the only playoff series the Suns won during the Kidd era was with him out in 2000 vs. the Duncan-less Spurs. KJ came out of retirement to lead the Suns. Once Kidd returned for the Lakers, the Suns were promtly ousted 4-1.

Kidd is a great player with a very weak resume' against the best team in the League, despite being on a handful of very talented teams withsome very talented players.

If I'm Dallas and I can get him for Stackhouse, Terry and a 1st or two, then sure, I'd do it, but since the Nets are pushing for Harris, I'd stand pat.

Dirk may not be Jordan when it comes to being clutch, but his worst was no worse than Kidd's. I certainly would prop him up to be some kind of franchise savior. Kidd's best in the Finals was a 2-4 loss. Dirk's best was a 2-4 loss.

In my eyes, there's no differece. Each is a great individual player. Each has some issues of truly leading a team to Title-greatness. As a Suns fan, I know the feeling. I've seen many players on the Suns the exact same way.

baseline bum
02-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Bullshit he does. Dirk doesn't go crying and sulking when things don't go his way.

That's not what I remember from that Houston series.

Budkin
02-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Last rumor I heard was that 3 way with the Blazers where the Mavs give up Harris, Stack, and Diop or Bass.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Last rumor I heard was that 3 way with the Blazers where the Mavs give up Harris, Stack, and Diop or Bass.
Portland backed off of that.
Mavs have to think up another trade scenario all over again.

Findog
02-10-2008, 03:01 AM
That's not what I remember from that Houston series.

I don't remember him not being a team player or professional in that series. Care to refresh my memory about what you're referring to?

Findog
02-10-2008, 03:03 AM
Mavs are not parting with Harris to get Kidd, much less sending him to Portland. Does that make sense? Sending their point guard who is having a breakout season to up and coming Portland, which will be a Western power for years to come with Oden, Aldridge, Roy and then Harris added to the mix, for a 36 yr old that while still useful, has seen better days and would cost the Mavs $40 million in luxury tax? Really? The Mavs were going to do that? I have no idea why people think Dallas would want to aid Portland's ascension.

Findog
02-10-2008, 03:07 AM
Nobody yet has offered up a plausible explanation for how Dallas is better by trading for Jason Kidd, given what it would take to get him. If we could just add him to the roster for spares and scrubs, sure, great, bring him in. But it would take Harris, and point guard is not a weakness for us this year.

Findog
02-10-2008, 03:14 AM
Dirk may not be Jordan when it comes to being clutch, but his worst was no worse than Kidd's. I certainly would prop him up to be some kind of franchise savior. Kidd's best in the Finals was a 2-4 loss. Dirk's best was a 2-4 loss.

Dirk's "lack of clutchness" is way overblown. Next to Jordan, or Kobe, yeah, of course he comes up short. But he's made a Finals, he played very well in the final two games of that series when his team lost by a grand total of 4 points, and he was hobbled by bone spurs against the Warriors. Spurs fans have no problem with shutting Tony Parker down because it's obvious he's not the same player with that injury and rest and rehab is the only thing that's going to get him better. Yet the Mavs were in a situation where they were toast without Dirk and he suited up anyway because they needed him due to what time of year it was, and he's been crucified for it. I'm not saying that Dirk is clutch or isn't clutch, but people forget what he did against San Antonio, what he did against Phoenix, or the fact that his team is 5-0 in Game Sevens (I'm counting that Game Five against Utah as a Game Seven) and he played well in four of those games. His successes don't count but his failures do. I don't get it. Beating San Antonio in the second round and Phoenix in the Conference Finals, it's like it never happened, whereas the Golden State series when he wasn't 100% is the be-all, end-all. Look at what he's done to the Warriors this season when healthy.

ludda
02-10-2008, 03:26 AM
Dirk's "lack of clutchness" is way overblown. Next to Jordan, or Kobe, yeah, of course he comes up short. But he's made a Finals, he played very well in the final two games of that series when his team lost by a grand total of 4 points, and he was hobbled by bone spurs against the Warriors. Spurs fans have no problem with shutting Tony Parker down because it's obvious he's not the same player with that injury and rest and rehab is the only thing that's going to get him better. Yet the Mavs were in a situation where they were toast without Dirk and he suited up anyway because they needed him due to what time of year it was, and he's been crucified for it. I'm not saying that Dirk is clutch or isn't clutch, but people forget what he did against San Antonio, what he did against Phoenix, or the fact that his team is 5-0 in Game Sevens (I'm counting that Game Five against Utah as a Game Seven) and he played well in four of those games. His successes don't count but his failures do. I don't get it. Beating San Antonio in the second round and Phoenix in the Conference Finals, it's like it never happened, whereas the Golden State series when he wasn't 100% is the be-all, end-all. Look at what he's done to the Warriors this season when healthy.

Dirk is one of the more maligned stars in the league mostly b/c his failures (in GS and Mia) were so historic: being up 2-0 and favorites, then being favorites all season and then losing to the 8th seed.

For the most part, I don't think its completely fair. He has developed his game over the years and become more of a team player. And by all accounts is a decent and modest guy (for those attacking his character). But until he leads the team to the ring, he will have the soft, choker label, which is deserved but not to the extent that the media and others hype it.

Findog
02-10-2008, 03:28 AM
Dirk is one of the more maligned stars in the league mostly b/c his failures (in GS and Mia) were so historic: being up 2-0 and favorites, then being favorites all season and then losing to the 8th seed.

For the most part, I don't think its completely fair. He has developed his game over the years and become more of a team player. And by all accounts is a decent and modest guy (for those attacking his character). But until he leads the team to the ring, he will have the soft, choker label, which is deserved but not to the extent that the media and others hype it.

Fair enough.

ludda
02-10-2008, 03:29 AM
And Kidd will more than likely NOT be traded. Thorn is unwilling to settle, and 3 team trades (which would be necessary since Mavs probably would not trade away 4 players) are highly unlikely.

Actually, Atlanta has been mentioned in a couple Kidd rumors and that's a more interesting prospect, they certainly have more options to offer. Except they are not contenders.

Findog
02-10-2008, 03:32 AM
I think Kidd would help them solidify one of the last two playoff spots, since there's only 6 good teams in the East. Then again, the East is so bad, the Hawks should be able to make it without Kidd, and I don't what their cap situation is off-hand, but they're probably better off developing Acie Law for the long-haul than trading for Kidd. Kidd's contract makes it hard for any team to absorb him or avoid having to give up too many roster spots to make it happen. Without another team, the Mavs have to give up 4 players for him, it's just not feasible.

genomefreak13
02-11-2008, 09:54 AM

Because they're desperate.

bostonguy
02-11-2008, 10:01 AM
It doesnt matter what move the Mavs make. The Lakers are too fucking good. Wait till Bynum comes back. That team is downright scary.

Findog
02-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Because they're desperate.

You haven't been paying attention. Cuban has said he's not gutting his roster to get Kidd:

http://startelegram.typepad.com/mavs_fullcourt_press/2008/02/cuban-not-kiddi.html

The reason the Knicks are so bad is that they go after every player/flavor of the month who becomes available without any thought given to the long-term consequences of their cap and what those acquisitions do to their roster. They run their team like fans. And that's exactly what Cuban did when he first bought the Mavericks, he ran it like a fan and we're now paying for his free spending that initially made us more competitive but has cost us in the long-term. We're paying Michael Finley and Shawn Bradley a combined $23 million this year. Cuban might play the heel and insult the Spurs ad nauseum, but he clearly has begun to mold his franchise and emulate the rivals four hours to the south. The Spurs are a model of continuity and consistency, and they don't overpay for players.

I know GMs and owners aren't always honest, both the Suns and Heat denied they had plans to move Marion and O'Neal, but what it would take to get Jason Kidd doesn't make the Mavs better. It would be Dirk, Josh and Kidd and nothing else, with $40 million in luxury tax payments next year. Brevin Knight, Sam Cassell, these are the kinds of guys Dallas should be going after to shore up PG.

monosylab1k
02-11-2008, 04:09 PM
The Mavs are a jump-shooting team. Bottom line. That's all they fuckin do. No matter how many times we hear Dirk talk about developing a post game, or hear Avery talk about attacking the basket, and whatever other bullshit, these guys aren't going to EVER change. They've made that absolutely clear by the way they play. When shit goes bad, the Mavs get to chuckin'.

This team offense consists of iso's with everyone else watching. Nobody cuts to the basket, they cut to an open spot to shoot. This is what they'll always do despite the bullshit we hear otherwise from the team about how they need to attack the basket.

Now, if we KNOW FOR A FACT that this team will always revert back to the jumper, and after 3 years I believe we KNOW FOR A FACT that they'll always revert to the jumper.........wouldn't it be a good idea to at least get these guys a PG who can get them the ball in good position to take their jumpers?

Findog
02-11-2008, 04:16 PM
wouldn't it be a good idea to at least get these guys a PG who can get them the ball in good position to take their jumpers?

Whatever you say:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2159/2258187513_e98984a869_o.jpg

monosylab1k
02-11-2008, 04:21 PM
in the playoffs when we're getting plastered by the Lakers in game 6, Devin Harris completely disappears when we need him to make a play, and Terry is putting up his favorite new playoff stat line of 4-18, 0-6 3PT, 1-2FT we'll review how that trade looks.

Findog
02-11-2008, 04:22 PM
in the playoffs when we're getting plastered by the Lakers in game 6, Devin Harris completely disappears when we need him to make a play, and Terry is putting up his favorite new playoff stat line of 4-18, 0-6 3PT, 1-2FT we'll review how that trade looks.

I don't think that trade makes us better, now or five years down the road. And that trade assumes Jersey is willing to take back Stack and Terry's contracts, but there's no other way to make the salaries work. You'd probably have to throw in Bass as a sweetener for taking Terry and Stack.

monosylab1k
02-11-2008, 04:24 PM
I don't think that trade makes us better, now or five years down the road.
This team needs leadership & ball movement. Kidd doesn't help with that?

And I'm done with keeping the future in mind. It's pretty obvious that the future is going to be ruled by the Lakers, Cavs, Blazers, & possibly the Sonics. It's time to say "fuck the future" and go for it all RIGHT NOW.

Findog
02-11-2008, 04:27 PM
If the Mavs flame out again, you'll get your wish for a very different team in 08-09 anyways. Why wreck the salary cap now?

If you can figure out a way to get Kidd here without gutting the team, I'm all ears. I can't figure out another way with the trade machine.

Amarelooms
02-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Whatever you say:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2159/2258187513_e98984a869_o.jpg

Are you retarded? The Mavs aint giving up 4 players for old ass Kidd...get the fuck out :elephant

Findog
02-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Are you retarded? The Mavs aint giving up 4 players for old ass Kidd...get the fuck out :elephant

direct your criticisms to those advocating the mavs acquire kidd.

monosylab1k
02-11-2008, 04:40 PM
All I know is that I think Donnie really wants to make a move. Why else are the Mavs involved in nearly every trade rumor this year? It's not just media perception of Cuban. Cuban hasn't made a big move in years. There's substance to all these trade rumors. He's obviously making calls.

I think Avery is the one insisting that no trades be made. His new line this year is "We like our team".

If this team doesn't make it to the WCF minimum, and no trade is made due to Avery's insistence that "we like our team", then his neck should be the first on the chopping block.

Shank
02-11-2008, 04:48 PM
The Mavericks are devout followers of the "Show Friends" philosophy, rather than the "ShowBusiness" side. That's why they rarely part with any of the bigger names. Too much attachment between management and the employees.