PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Ex-Spur Brent Barry ponders options, including the Spurs

Pages : [1] 2 3

timvp
02-27-2008, 02:02 AM
Ex-Spur Brent Barry ponders options, including the Spurs
Mike Monroe
San Antonio Express-News

It was mid-morning Tuesday, but already, the day had added layers of confusion for recently traded guard Brent Barry.

Not long after he cleared waivers, having been released last weekend by the Seattle SuperSonics, the team to which the Spurs had traded him, he received a phone call from one of the elite NBA teams seeking his services for the remainder of the season.

A representative of the Rockets phoned to let Barry know that Yao Ming, Houston's 7-foot-6 All-Star center, was going to miss the remainder of the season after being diagnosed with a stress fracture of the left foot. It was a courtesy call, one that may well have diminished whatever interest Barry had in joining the Rockets.

Later, there was a call from Boston Celtics All-Star guard Ray Allen, with whom Barry once teamed when both played for the SuperSonics. Boston, with the NBA's best record, also wants to sign the 36-year-old Barry.

Allen did his best to persuade Barry to come to Boston.

On his way for a face-to-face visit was former Spurs shooting guard Steve Kerr, now the GM of the Phoenix Suns. Kerr told the Arizona Republic he left town without a decision from Barry.

Barry wants to make certain whatever he decides is right for him, his wife, Erin, and their two sons, Quin and Cade.

"There is still no decision," Barry said late Tuesday evening. "I'm really hoping that tomorrow is decision day, because I just told Erin I've never used drugs, but if this goes on much longer, I might be tempted to start.

"I'm just trying to figure out what's out there and go from there."

Barry said the reports of teams interested in signing him had been accurate and that all of remained in the running.

NBA guidelines prevent Barry from returning to the Spurs for 30 days after the date on which he was traded, which was Feb. 20. That makes March 21 the first day he could re-join the team for which he has played since signing with the club as a free agent in the summer of 2004.

He was eligible to sign with any other team as soon as he cleared waivers, which is why some teams had expected a decision from him by Tuesday.

Barry has not played since suffering a left calf injury in the Spurs' victory over the Miami Heat on Jan. 24. It was a recurrence of a problem with the left calf that first hit Barry in a game against the Bulls on Dec. 26 and kept him out for three weeks. He likely needs another 10 days to two weeks until he is able to return to game action.

Nevertheless, Barry has been pursued by some of the NBA's best teams because he remains one of the league's best shooters and smartest players. In 29 games with the Spurs this season, he averaged 7.3 points, 1.9 rebounds and 1.8 assists in an average of 18.7 minutes. He made 43 percent of his 3-point shots.

While it is presumed the Spurs also have interest in bringing Barry back, general manager R.C. Buford on Monday said the club would have no comment, even after Barry cleared waivers. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich also sidestepped questions about him.

Before the Sonics decided to release Barry, Popovich had praised his play and wished him well.

"I thought Brent was having a fantastic year," Popovich said last Thursday.

Being pursued by elite teams puts Barry in a win-win situation. Guaranteed to receive every dollar from the $5.54 million final season of the four-year contract he signed with the Spurs in the summer of 2004, Barry is in line for more money with a new contract from whichever team signs him, including the Spurs.

Even if he were to sign a $1.215 million veteran minimum contract with the Spurs, his pro-rated salary would be slightly more than $185,000. He could net more from another team because his new salary would kick in sooner.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA022708.01E.spursADV.en.3deada9.html

timvp
02-27-2008, 02:04 AM
Barry pares options to just Suns, Spurs
Phoenix GM Kerr makes pitch to vet
Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - Suns General Manager Steve Kerr got to shake hands Tuesday with the NBA's most coveted free agent, Brent Barry, but there was no handshake agreement that Barry would join the Suns.

Between scouting games at Kansas State on Monday night and Vanderbilt on Tuesday night, Kerr dropped in on the San Antonio home of a wavering Barry to make a two-hour pitch to him and his wife, Erin, on the day that Barry's decision was expected.

Barry only whittled his candidate list to San Antonio and Phoenix, leaving them to wait for an answer today.

Each team is offering a veteran's minimum contract that includes the 2008-09 season, but the Spurs are believed to be sweetening the pot with a third year, on top of the emotional pull of teammates he has played with since 2004.

Barry also had been considering Boston, Houston and Dallas. He cleared waivers Tuesday morning.

"I've spoken with Brent," Kerr said. "I met with him and his wife, and we're awaiting his decision. He's very seriously considering it."

The Suns are seeking to add Barry, 36, to help with playmaking and perimeter shooting. Barry cleared waivers Tuesday morning after being traded last week from San Antonio to Seattle, which released him Friday. If Barry signs with San Antonio, he can't re-join the team until 30 days after the trade (March 21).

"There have been so many changes over the past few days, it's very difficult," Barry told the San Antonio Express-News on Tuesday morning. "Just because I've cleared (waivers), I don't have a timetable that today is the day I have to decide."

Barry, a 6-foot-7 swingman, is recovering from a calf strain that would keep him out of action at least a week.

Should Barry pick San Antonio, the Suns could turn their attention to Philadelphia guard Gordan Giricek. He was traded to the 76ers when Utah landed Kyle Korver in late December.

Giricek, a 30-year-old, 6-foot-6 shooter, has played twice this month and could be bought out by Saturday, which would make him playoff eligible if it happens by Saturday.

Giricek would not fill the playmaker role that Barry can and has shot 36.7 percent from 3-point range for his career, compared to Barry's 40.7 percent.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0227barry0227.html

polandprzem
02-27-2008, 02:10 AM
Good read

I must say that this year is the most interesting season of all seasons I remember

SpursFan0728
02-27-2008, 02:12 AM
thanks for articles

looks like suns is really making a run for him..

PM5K
02-27-2008, 02:15 AM
Not only does Barry become a legend if he returns as you mentioned (or something like that) but so does CIA POP...

whottt
I am sure Kerr is offering him the combo guard spot he loves to play as well.

No doubt Kerr is making it difficult...

But hopefully Brent realizes that about 50% of the reason the Suns want him is because he tears them up and they want him off our roster.

Supreme_Being
Kerr should go fuck himself. Barry is OURS.

whottt
02-27-2008, 02:18 AM
One thing for sure...this is killing the collusion talk.

Do the right thing Brent...don't go to the fucking Suns...don't do it, don't use the inside knowledge of the guys that you won 2 rings with against them to help their top rivals get a fucking ring.

Don't you dare help Shaq O'Neal get his 5th ring, to move past Tim Duncan.
Shit, don't help Shaq period...he's an asshole.
Don't you dare go to the Suns to try and stop the Spurs repeat...the only thing they haven't done to clinch dynasty status...
Don't try to cost big shot Rob his last ring...you know...that guy whose heroism in game 5 put that first ring on you fucking finger. The guy who gave you the advice that turned it all around for you in games 6 and 7 of the 05 Finals.

Don't be a punk Brent...don't do it. And that is punk...don't listen to the asshats on the forum that say it doesn't matter...it matters.

Now that we know the Spurs are offering you the best offer...the choice is clear, actually, the choice was clear even if they weren't making you the best offer, they want you back

You come back here and you lock up the dynasty...and remember, Kerr didn't become a Spurs Legend until after he came back from being traded(he has since fucked up his Legend status by distancing himself from the team and city). This is your last chance for a legacy...

You want to be a hired gun or a San Antonio Spur?

If you take the vet min to finish out this season Pop will love you...and once Pop loves you timvp will automatically like you as will his flock on ST..and once timvp likes you Tpark will like you...

You're in the home stretch...you finally figured out the system...Pop didn't trade you because he didn't think you ciuld help the team...he did it to improve the team...you won Pop's trust...don't let him down now.

He traded you because he knew he could you back...

Do the right thing Brent...come to back to SA...don't be a fucking Sun...

timvp
02-27-2008, 02:23 AM

Do the right thing Brent...don't go to the fucking Suns...don't do it, don't use the inside knowledge of the guys that you won 2 rings with against them to help their top rivals get a fucking ring.

Don't you dare help Shaq O'Neal get his 5th ring.
Don't you dare go to the Suns to stop the Spurs repeat...the only thing they haven't done to clinch dynasty status...

Don't be a punk Brent...don't do it. And that is punk...don't listen to the asshats on the forum that say it doesn't matter...it matters.Bingo X 10.

Supreme_Being
02-27-2008, 02:28 AM
I take it, timvp and T_Park are a couple?

whottt
02-27-2008, 02:35 AM
Kerr should go fuck himself. Barry is OURS.

Kerr has needed to go fuck himself for about 2 years now.

DespЏrado
02-27-2008, 02:38 AM
It's good to finally hear it from his own mouth. I think he is heading back here, and it definitely helps out that we are sweetening the deal with a third year, meaning if he chooses us, he will be accepting the best contract, as well as the best team.

timvp
02-27-2008, 02:39 AM
I take it, timvp and T_Park are a couple?:rolleyes

Read whottt with a grain of salt.

P.S.

That's the last time I ever agree with whottt. I agree and then he edits his post. Lame.

whottt
02-27-2008, 02:41 AM
:

P.S.

That's the last time I ever agree with whottt. I agree and then he edits his post. Lame.

I was in mid edit when you responded, look at all that I added...I got on a roll once I made the Shaq Suns connection. Whole new perspective opened up for me...

TDMVPDPOY
02-27-2008, 02:42 AM
im tired of this jackass kerr going after our players

seriously if barry does sign with the suns, i really hope bowen.....you know where im getting too....

DespЏrado
02-27-2008, 02:43 AM
I was in mid edit when you responded, look at all that I added...I got on a roll once I made the Shaq Suns connection. Whole new perspective opened up for me...

:lol Must be some good smokes.

timvp
02-27-2008, 02:53 AM
Houston wants to sign my brother Brent Barry, recently cut loose from Seattle. Where will he end up? I talk to him every day, and he's more confused now than he was two days ago. One day it's Boston, another it's Phoenix, another it's back to San Antonio. We'll see.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-080227
If you are going to leave, go to Boston. Don't go to the Suns.

Thanks.

SenorSpur
02-27-2008, 02:53 AM
Like everyone else, I'm hoping Barry will come back to the Spurs. He's been a valuable playoff contributor for the past two championship teams. However even if he doesn't come back, I still like the Spurs chances to repeat. I also don't see Barry swinging the balance of any potential series between Spurs and Suns.

If having him come back means having to commit another full season or two to him, I don't know if that is such a good thing. Mainly because of the advanced age at the swing positions. I don't see how the Spurs can commit to another full season to both Barry and Finley. Obviously, this is all very premature and you want to give yourself the best chance to win this year.

However after the season ends, this team has to "turn the page" and infuse yet another swingman (or two) onto this roster. A younger player that can shoot the 3, can get up and down the court and can defend. The infusion of such a player MUST take place THIS SUMMER. They simply cannot afford to invest yet another season in the Barry, Bowen, Finley triumverate again. If they do, I believe diminishing returns await.

timvp
02-27-2008, 02:57 AM
While the Cassell situation got a little murkier, the Brent Barry situation, thought to be dead, has gotten some life. On Monday, an NBA source said Barry was poised to join the Suns. That hasn't happened yet, although Phoenix boss Steve Kerr visited with Barry yesterday in San Antonio and remains hopeful. The Rockets also were in the hunt, but the season-ending injury to Yao Ming takes them out of the loop. The Spurs are still in the picture and, frankly, Barry is comfortable there and the team has a legitimate chance to repeat.

What about the Celtics? He'd be a great fit for Boston as well, but it would involve a lot of logistical stuff. If he waits another three weeks, he can re-up with the Spurs and be ready for the playoffs. But as of yesterday, he hadn't signed anywhere.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/02/27/true_value_think_hardware/

Another NBA source said free agent guard Brent Barry, who cleared waivers yesterday, is still considering Boston.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/02/27/true_value_think_hardware/

One scenario might be that Barry was about to sign with the Suns ... until the Spurs offered a third guaranteed season. Which then made Barry hesitate.

Or it could just be that Barry is pulling the ultimate anti-Stackhouse :lol

whottt
02-27-2008, 03:00 AM
I hope this is all smokescreen...

Barry can sign vet min deals and go where ever he wants to 2 or 3 more years easily...hell...if he wins another title and light up the Suns again he might get their entire MLE....

hsxvvd
02-27-2008, 03:04 AM

Don't you dare help Shaq O'Neal get his 5th ring, to move past Tim Duncan.
Shit, don't help Shaq period...he's an asshole.
Don't you dare go to the Suns to try and stop the Spurs repeat...the only thing they haven't done to clinch dynasty status...
Don't try to cost big shot Rob his last ring...you know...that guy whose heroism in game 5 put that first ring on you fucking finger. The guy who gave you the advice that turned it all around for you in games 6 and 7 of the 05 Finals.

Don't be a punk Brent...don't do it. And that is punk...don't listen to the asshats on the forum that say it doesn't matter...it matters.

Now that we know the Spurs are offering you the best offer...the choice is clear, actually, the choice was clear even if they weren't making you the best offer, they want you back

You come back here and you lock up the dynasty...and remember, Kerr didn't become a Spurs Legend until after he came back from being traded(he has since fucked up his Legend status by distancing himself from the team and city). This is your last chance for a legacy...

You want to be a hired gun or a San Antonio Spur?

If you take the vet min to finish out this season Pop will love you...and once Pop loves you timvp will automatically like you as will his flock on ST..and once timvp likes you Tpark will like you...

You're in the home stretch...you finally figured out the system...Pop didn't trade you because he didn't think you ciuld help the team...he did it to improve the team...you won Pop's trust...don't let him down now.

He traded you because he knew he could you back...

Do the right thing Brent...come to back to SA...don't be a fucking Sun...

Me too!

hsxvvd
02-27-2008, 03:05 AM
Offer Brent a Drobb lifetime contract! He'd make a great coach one day anyway... lock him up!

whottt
02-27-2008, 03:06 AM
Or it could just be that Barry is pulling the ultimate anti-Stackhouse :lol

Well let's look at the facts...

His locker was never cleaned out.
He went to a Spurs function.

He's been silent for about a week now...when was the last time Barry was that silent?

LoL....I bet they didn't think it would be this tricky.

And PS: Jon Barry need to shut his hole, if he was really looking out for his little brother he wouldn't have been tryint to get him to go to the freaking Rockets, with their chokers, to play on a team that hasn't made it out of the first round since the last century. That's to help him(Jon)...his last team, not Brent...because they don't have a better chance than the Spurs period. Even with a healthy Yao.

PS: I used to like Jon Barry better than Brent, in fact he was the Barry brother I wanted us to sign because he was firey...but he's got too much mouth on him. And he's not clutch either...Brent's much better.

hsxvvd
02-27-2008, 03:08 AM
Like everyone else, I'm hoping Barry will come back to the Spurs. He's been a valuable playoff contributor for the past two championship teams. However even if he doesn't come back, I still like the Spurs chances to repeat. I also don't see Barry swinging the balance of any potential series between Spurs and Suns.

If having him come back means having to commit another full season or two to him, I don't know if that is such a good thing. Mainly because of the advanced age at the swing positions. I don't see how the Spurs can commit to another full season to both Barry and Finley. Obviously, this is all very premature and you want to give yourself the best chance to win this year.

However after the season ends, this team has to "turn the page" and infuse yet another swingman (or two) onto this roster. A younger player that can shoot the 3, can get up and down the court and can defend. The infusion of such a player MUST take place THIS SUMMER. They simply cannot afford to invest yet another season in the Barry, Bowen, Finley triumverate again. If they do, I believe diminishing returns await.

Cannot disagree more. Don't care how old he is, he'd always find ways to contribute, even to mentor the younger guys that might eventually come through.

whottt
02-27-2008, 03:09 AM
The thing is...if he just blew off the Suns offer that would be suspicious...I mean Kerr flew to SA just to talk to him.

ancestron
02-27-2008, 03:12 AM
The fact that he is being so ambiguous makes me think he's coming right back where he belongs.

Typhoon
02-27-2008, 03:40 AM
Who cares where he goes...with or without him Spurs will repeat, the trade that involved him solved the biggest weakness of the spurs in my OPINION (getting a tough defender that can REBOUND and block shots its all the spurs needed) and we got rid of Francisco Elson…also its going to give Udoka more minutes, to me it’s a no lose situation.

Its funny how out of nowhere where ever Barry goes that team will win the title, don’t get me wrong I would love to see Barry back with the Spurs but if it doesn't happen, so be it, the spurs will be fine.

polandprzem
02-27-2008, 03:50 AM
I take it, timvp and T_Park are a couple?

yup pretty much

Bruno
02-27-2008, 04:47 AM
I hope Barry will make soon his choice. If Spurs don't get him, they will need to go to plan B.

A 3 years contract for the vet min would be a very good deal for Spurs.
Barry at the min is a bargain and even at 38, I think Barry will still be useful. Money wise, it won't create troubles with the luxury tax and a future cap space plan.

Dingle Barry
02-27-2008, 04:52 AM
One thing is for sure, and that is Jon Barry is an asshat.

polandprzem
02-27-2008, 05:28 AM
I hope Barry will make soon his choice. If Spurs don't get him, they will need to go to plan B.

A 3 years contract for the vet min would be a very good deal for Spurs.
Barry at the min is a bargain and even at 38, I think Barry will still be useful. Money wise, it won't create troubles with the luxury tax and a future cap space plan.

They are aiming Giricek.
Guy was prospective but failed to deliver

m33p0
02-27-2008, 05:39 AM
i can picture brent with one eyebrow cocked and one edge of his mouth turned up saying, "i still haven't made a decision yet." and then smile. he's like selling toothpaste or sumthin.
:lol :lol :lol

Mark in Austin
02-27-2008, 08:40 AM
Gotta be a tough decision, though. True, D'antoni is an asshat, Shaq is a tool, and Amare has the mental fortitude of a middle schooler. But PHX offers two very attractive things: One, he would get tons more playing time (Has anybody looked at their team now? The bench is pretty weak.) Two, Steve Nash.

Everybody wants to contribute, and I think PHX needs Barry more than the Spurs do.

That being said, I still hope Barry resigns with the Spurs.

phyzik
02-27-2008, 08:56 AM
he is coming back, there are just too many reasons for him to return vs. going to another team. If he doesnt, I will be very disapointed.

ricketts
02-27-2008, 08:59 AM
Hes coming back. The only other option for his at this point, realisticly, is the suns. he knows what they have to offer, he either accepts it or he doesnt. he obviously doesnt like what they have to offer otherwise he would have seald the deal yesterday with Kerr. this is all just smoke and mirrors, ensure the league has no complaints.

easjer
02-27-2008, 09:03 AM
I don't think Brent is a huge difference maker in terms of playing - but his very recent corporate knowledge of the Spurs during their most recent championships walking to the Suns or even to Boston scares the crap out of me.

He knows stuff I'd prefer he didn't share with the Suns.

Whottt nailed it Brent - PLEASE come back.

porscha
02-27-2008, 09:07 AM
barry delayed his answer the same day of yao's news came out......hum.... :dizzy

stevenger
02-27-2008, 09:07 AM
http://basketboltr.net/2008/02/27/brent-barry-no-decision/

Flight3107
02-27-2008, 09:10 AM
This definitely deserved a new thread.

thebigchill
02-27-2008, 09:10 AM
I'm calling your bluff Brent! :hat

stevenger
02-27-2008, 09:13 AM
If Brent Barry will choose San Antonio Spurs this will be important news. Brent Barry is a sharpshooter and he will help the team he will sign.

AFBlue
02-27-2008, 09:19 AM
I don't think Brent is a huge difference maker in terms of playing - but his very recent corporate knowledge of the Spurs during their most recent championships walking to the Suns or even to Boston scares the crap out of me.

To me, I don't think this argument holds much water....

Between Steve Kerr already being with the Suns and the two teams playing eachother so much over the past few years, I think there's very little left to learn.

Pop hasn't changed any signals and they certainly haven't morphed the offense since the two clubs met in the conference semis.

I think Barry is much more of a threat with his shooting touch than he is with what's in his head. Think about a dead-eye shooter being given free reign to shoot three pointers at any time....that's what scares me.

mrsmaalox
02-27-2008, 09:33 AM
Gotta be a tough decision, though. True, D'antoni is an asshat, Shaq is a tool, and Amare has the mental fortitude of a middle schooler. But PHX offers two very attractive things: One, he would get tons more playing time (Has anybody looked at their team now? The bench is pretty weak.) Two, Steve Nash.

Everybody wants to contribute, and I think PHX needs Barry more than the Spurs do.

That being said, I still hope Barry resigns with the Spurs.

That would depend on if D'Antoni is committed to completely re-tooling; he's had some decent players on the bench in the past, but that's where he keeps them.

picnroll
02-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Kerr is the a-hole who as a TV commentator/part owner of the Suns/impending GM of the Suns was on TV opining that maybe Duncan should be suspended for stepping onto the court. Pop had to pull him aside and tell him he was lacking integrity and needed to lose one of his hats.

Russ
02-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Barry pares options to just Suns, Spurs
Should Barry pick San Antonio, the Suns could turn their attention to Philadelphia guard Gordan Giricek. He was traded to the 76ers when Utah landed Kyle Korver in late December.

Giricek, a 30-year-old, 6-foot-6 shooter, has played twice this month and could be bought out by Saturday, which would make him playoff eligible if it happens by Saturday.

Giricek would not fill the playmaker role that Barry can and has shot 36.7 percent from 3-point range for his career, compared to Barry's 40.7 percent.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0227barry0227.html
Giricek reunited with his old draft-mate Manu Ginobili? I remember when Spurs fans debated which one should be kept for the roster. Giricek actually had his supporters. How the wheels turn.

Holt's Cat
02-27-2008, 10:40 AM
Giricek reunited with his old draft-mate Manu Ginobili? I remember when Spurs fans debated which one should be kept for the roster. Giricek actually had his supporters. How the wheels turn.

Ah, that takes me back.

naico
02-27-2008, 10:56 AM
quote from a real gm poster yesterday..(ddb)

for what it's worth:

Brent Barry is staying with the Spurs and Sam Cassell is coming to the Celtics.

Done and Done. You heard it here folks.

rumor has it that an HEB commercial featuring Barry is not being pulled because he told them he's coming back. They will resume running the commercial when he returns.

And Cassell could potentially go elsewhere but when it comes down to it we want him and he wants to come here. so there's a good chance he'll reunite with KG.

thispego
02-27-2008, 11:00 AM
Offer still stands: I WILL BET ANYBODY ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY THAT BARRY WILL BE A SPUR AGAIN. ANY TAKERS?

bigfan
02-27-2008, 11:03 AM

That is an excellent point that I havent thought about til now.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-27-2008, 11:05 AM
i hope he signs with the Suns just to say 'thanks for trading me' to the Spurs :smokin

Russ
02-27-2008, 11:06 AM
quote from a real gm poster yesterday..(ddb)

for what it's worth:

Brent Barry is staying with the Spurs and Sam Cassell is coming to the Celtics.

Done and Done. You heard it here folks.

rumor has it that an HEB commercial featuring Barry is not being pulled because he told them he's coming back. They will resume running the commercial when he returns.

And Cassell could potentially go elsewhere but when it comes down to it we want him and he wants to come here. so there's a good chance he'll reunite with KG.
The only other team I could see Barry going to is the Lakers -- Phil Jackson loves to do things to get in the heads of his main rival (the Spurs now). And Barry is an LA guy. But the Lakers already have some Barry-type players (Euros) so I don't see it.

Barry would have to swallow hard to go to Phoenix -- he's too sharp to think they can win it all. The Rockets went out with Yao MIng.

But I do think Barry would like to see Pop sweat a little. :) So he might take his time.

nkdlunch
02-27-2008, 11:10 AM
the argentine mafia broke yao's foot

Solid D
02-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Ah, that takes me back.

:) Me too. Ginobili or Giricek, who do we trade? Some in here went into flames about giving up Gordan for cash and a second rounder. Compared with Ginobili, it was a no-brainer in retrospect but just looking at the deal straight-up...it wasn't that fruitful. It would end up being the 52nd pick in 2004, Romain Sato. Sato didn't pan out but neither did anyone else selected after him that year, including Sergei Karaulov.

angel_luv
02-27-2008, 11:24 AM
I just want to hear from Brent when a decision has been made. I want to avoid the insanity of all the back and forth,speculation details.

Holt's Cat
02-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Giricek would be someone to look at, obviously, if the Spurs aren't able to bring back Barry and Giricek is waived.

He can shoot the rock and not much else. Still, that is worth something in today's NBA.

miss paxton
02-27-2008, 11:40 AM
Kerr is the a-hole who as a TV commentator/part owner of the Suns/impending GM of the Suns was on TV opining that maybe Duncan should be suspended for stepping onto the court. Pop had to pull him aside and tell him he was lacking integrity and needed to lose one of his hats.

Yeah, Kerr definitely appeared to have an agenda, and as I recall his minority ownership of the Suns wasn't exactly something he advertised. It was kind of funny, because non-Spurs fans always complained about how biased Kerr was towards the Spurs. Kerr is certainly entitled to his opinions, but I don't remember anyone from his network employers taking care to specify his affiliation. In his Yahoo Sports column after Game 4, he's not identified by Yahoo as anything other than an analyst. (Sorry, having trouble with the link, but I just re-read the column.)

I didn't remember Pop saying anything to Kerr, though. Interesting.

SenorSpur
02-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Who cares where he goes...with or without him Spurs will repeat, the trade that involved him solved the biggest weakness of the spurs in my OPINION (getting a tough defender that can REBOUND and block shots its all the spurs needed) and we got rid of Francisco Elson…also its going to give Udoka more minutes, to me it’s a no lose situation.

Its funny how out of nowhere where ever Barry goes that team will win the title, don’t get me wrong I would love to see Barry back with the Spurs but if it doesn't happen, so be it, the spurs will be fine.

Exactly the point I was making earlier. There's no doubt Barry's return will strengthen the bench play and open up the floor. However, let's not act as though the Spurs championship will diminish considerably if he's not there. Hell, they've played without him for a majority of the season because of injury.

As Typhoon pointed out, it was MUCH more necessary for the Spurs to land a player the caliber of Thomas. Especially since they'll likely be going up against some of the conference's much taller and bigger frontlines in the playoffs.

carina_gino20
02-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Yeah, Kerr definitely appeared to have an agenda, and as I recall his minority ownership of the Suns wasn't exactly something he advertised. It was kind of funny, because non-Spurs fans always complained about how biased Kerr was towards the Spurs. Kerr is certainly entitled to his opinions, but I don't remember anyone from his network employers taking care to specify his affiliation. In his Yahoo Sports column after Game 4, he's not identified by Yahoo as anything other than an analyst. (Sorry, having trouble with the link, but I just re-read the column.)

I didn't remember Pop saying anything to Kerr, though. Interesting.

You can read it from this article last year:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA060307.01C.COL.BKNharvey.kerr.3b84079.html

Then came the Horry-Nash controversy last month, and Kerr wrote what many said then. He hoped no one would be suspended.

But he also wrote something else that no one else had knowledge of at the time: "However, if the league decides to suspend (Boris) Diaw and (Amare) Stoudemire, it may have to suspend Tim Duncan and Bruce Bowen as well. In a play that went entirely unnoticed until well after the game was over, both Duncan and Bowen actually left San Antonio's bench early in the second quarter after Francisco Elson and James Jones were entangled. Replays clearly show Duncan walking several steps onto the court as Elson and Jones appeared to be ready to get into it."

Take it from someone who has been wrong in print a few times over the last quarter of a century in San Antonio. There are times when writers wish they could take back a few words, if not entire ideas.

Kerr might have felt the same as soon as the next day. The NBA looked at the replays and didn't see anything.

Had another columnist written the same words, Kerr's story would have been taken as opinion and nothing more. But Kerr had advocated something others hadn't said except for, coincidentally, the Suns.

Was he acting as an observer? Or as a Suns investor?

Popovich rarely reacts to anything in print, but he glared at Kerr at their next encounter. Popovich also told him angrily: You are wearing too many hats.

duncan228
02-27-2008, 12:42 PM
I hope the delay is just drama.

It seems like an easy decision to me, especially if the Spurs are offering a better deal.
He knows the team, he has to know the Spurs are his best chance for another ring. His family is settled in SA, why uproot kids if you don't have to?

The mere thought that he would try to help Shaq get his fifth before helping Duncan get his could make me question why I like Barry so much. And I've been a Barry fan for years, long before he was a Spur.

The NBA is a business, but somewhere in that I hope there's room for some sense of loyalty. Barry should retire with the team that got him the ultimate reward. Twice so far...

Xylus
02-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Why would Brent Barry be concerned with how many rings Shaquille and Timmy have? Barry is, and should be, concerned about one person: himself.

miss paxton
02-27-2008, 12:49 PM
The mere thought that he would try to help Shaq get his fifth before helping Duncan get his could make me question why I like Barry so much. And I've been a Barry fan for years, long before he was a Spur.

The NBA is a business, but somewhere in that I hope there's room for some sense of loyalty. Barry should retire with the team that got him the ultimate reward. Twice so far...

Yes, that's pretty much the way I feel, mostly about the Shaq part :spin . I understand and don't mind players weighing offers and doing what's ultimately best for them--that's what they have to do--particularly when said player has been traded and his sense of loyalty might understandably be compromised. I just hope he makes his mind up soon, since I've got other things to worry about!

And thank you, carina_gino 20 for posting that article with the information about Pop.

picnroll
02-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Why would Brent Barry be concerned with how many rings Shaquille and Timmy have? Barry is, and should be, concerned about one person: himself.
Actaully I'm pretty sure that one of the factors weighing in the decsion is loyalty to friends. Ultimately it may not be the deciding factor but I'm sure if Barry thought the Spurs were a bunch of jerks he'd have already made his decsion already.

td4mvp21
02-27-2008, 12:51 PM

Uh, because Timmy got him the two rings he has. Not to mention your team's players and fans treated his team like shit last year. I don't know why he would want to go to that :wtf

Xylus
02-27-2008, 12:51 PM
Actaully I'm pretty sure that one of the factors weighing in the decsion is loyalty to friends. Ultimately it may not be the deciding factor but I'm sure if Barry thought the Spurs were a bunch of jerks he'd have already made his decsion already.
Loyalty to friends is one thing, but I doubt the amount of rings Shaq owns is weighing his decision.

stevenger
02-27-2008, 12:52 PM
The latest news are Brent Barry is thinking San Antonio Spurs and Phoenix Suns.

Kori Ellis
02-27-2008, 12:52 PM

That team had no loyalty to him, and tried to trade him constantly for the last few seasons. I don't get why Barry is expected to have loyalty in return when the Spurs weren't loyal to him (not that I expect them to be).

I won't blame him at all if he goes elsewhere. But with the roots his family have established in the community here, I hope he signs with the Spurs.

carina_gino20
02-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Yes, that's pretty much the way I feel, mostly about the Shaq part :spin . I understand and don't mind players weighing offers and doing what's ultimately best for them--that's what they have to do--particularly when said player has been traded and his sense of loyalty might understandably be compromised. I just hope he makes his mind up soon, since I've got other things to worry about!

And thank you, carina_gino 20 for posting that article with the information about Pop.

:tu You're welcome. It was cool to have Pop tell it like it is. Kerr was just pushing it too far last summer.

I really hope Brent signs back again with us. I do think this is the part where all the 'family' orientation of the Spurs can be very beneficial. He would've bolted immediately if there was not a single feeling of attachment to the team.

Findog
02-27-2008, 12:56 PM
A post on the dallas morning news mavsblog said he eliminated the Mavs and other teams from consideration and it's down to PHX and SAS. Can't decide where I want him to go since we're not getting him.

Xylus
02-27-2008, 12:57 PM
Come to Phoenix, Barry, I'll bake you a fucking cake.

Herschel Walker
02-27-2008, 12:57 PM
No loyalty in business anymore. Its all about getting the best deal you can and about the best fit. He may see the Suns as a better fit. As good as he is his defense was never Pop grade and he wasnt the greatest fit with the Spurs. Tough decision.

Supreme_Being
02-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Plus, he already knows the system.

picnroll
02-27-2008, 12:59 PM
One reason I'd like Bones to stay is that I'd like to someday see him sittiing in a Spurs broadcasting chair.

duncan228
02-27-2008, 01:00 PM
That team had no loyalty to him, and tried to trade him constantly for the last few seasons. I don't get why Barry is expected to have loyalty in return when the Spurs weren't loyal to him (not that I expect them to be).

That's why I'm trying to blend the business aspect with a sense of loyalty.
The team trying to trade him, and finally doing so, is business.
We don't know if there was any behind the scenes action, knowing the Sonics would waive him and bringing him back here. It looks like that was the plan, maybe with no one realizing how hard the Suns would go after him.

At the end of the day Barry must do what's best for him and his family. On paper that looks like the Spurs. I hope that through all the business side of it that Barry would still have some sense of loyalty to the Spurs, of belonging on the Spurs.
And they offered him a better deal on top of it. That should help ease the sting of being traded. The Spurs put their money where their mouth is.

ThomasGranger
02-27-2008, 01:01 PM

I guess that partly depends on which part of the team we're talking about. I would imagine he does feel some sort of loyalty to the players, but much less, if any, when it comes to the front office.

Kori Ellis
02-27-2008, 01:01 PM
This can just go in one of the other Brent Barry threads. No reason for a new one.

I'm going to merge it.

AFBlue
02-27-2008, 01:02 PM
One reason I'd like Bones to stay is that I'd like to someday see him sittiing in a Spurs broadcasting chair.

:tu

I think Barry would be a great commentator!

E20
This can just go in one of the other Brent Barry threads. No reason for a new one.

I'm going to merge it.
What a party pooper.

1Parker1

:tu Yea, that's exactly how I look at it. Also, he has to look at it from a playing time standpoint as well. With the Spurs, he'd be behind Manu, Finley, and Udoka in playing time.

I don't understand why does Timvp think Barry will be a "legend" if he decides to come back with the SPurs? Does he mean if they win another championship with him??

Kori Ellis
02-27-2008, 01:04 PM
I don't understand why does Timvp think Barry will be a "legend" if he decides to come back with the SPurs?

Because Spurs fans will treat him like one.

phyzik
02-27-2008, 01:06 PM

Can you imagine him and Sean interacting with eachother? No one would be able to watch the game because everyone would be cracking up histarically the whole time! :lol

Holt's Cat
02-27-2008, 01:06 PM
First off, I don't think it's a surprise to Barry that he was traded this time. If the Spurs thought they could bring him back clearly they made it clear that they wanted him back and that they expected the Sonics to waive him. Given the swiftness with which the Sonics waived him it definitely looked pre-arranged. Of course, the Sonics did need a roster spot after that 3way trade (IIRC).

So the Spurs are offering a 3 year deal. Great. Then Barry can be dealt this summer or next year again or anytime after that up until February of 2010. One would have to think he has considered that.

I don't see the Spurs having a shot at bringing him back unless there was some kind of discussion beforehand.

Hey, he has a chance to go to Phoenix, get minutes, and perhaps help a new team win a title. That may appeal to him.

I don't see it as a given that he'll return to SA. And if he doesn't, Spurs fans will need to check themselves before they start running him down.

easjer
02-27-2008, 01:16 PM
I hope the delay is just drama.

It seems like an easy decision to me, especially if the Spurs are offering a better deal.
He knows the team, he has to know the Spurs are his best chance for another ring. His family is settled in SA, why uproot kids if you don't have to?

Disclaimer: I want Brent back. He was one of my favorite active players ever.

The assumption that the Spurs are offering a better deal is truly an assumption. They seem to be offering an extra guaranteed year, but there were plenty of rumors that Brent planned to retire after this contract. A guaranteed deal for the vet min? Brent's been highly courted enough to make him wonder if taking a shorter deal and testing the market for MLE might not be a better course of action. A guaranteed deal is good if he wants to play and may not get the opportunity, but it may seem too restrictive to Barry and future considerations.

As for the kids - the school year is only a bit 3 more months long. There was a sense that the Barry's would move back to the West Coast when Brent retired - there is no reason to uproot the kids for a short term contract. Plenty of players and families make it work while living in two different cities. In fact, several Spurs players have made it work, including Robert Horry and AJ - both of their families live/d in Houston during their careers. And you aren't even talking about that much time.

Barry considering who he assists to a fifth ring as a logical line of reasoning is ludicrous. Brent doesn't give a shit about who gets their fifth ring first - he just wants a third, and wants to go where he feels he has the best chance of getting it. We may want Duncan to get the 5th first, to put to rest the arguments about dominant big men, but I cannot see why Brent Barry is supposed to care.

Playing time is a bigger issue, because he knows what the Spurs can offer him, and he may have promises from Kerr about more extensive playing time. But that has to be balanced with D'Antoni's inability to count to 8 and loath of using his bench players in any meaningful way.

In terms of loyalty for getting the rings he's got - I don't see what loyalty exists. And I'm not talking about the trade. He helped the team to get those rings. He wants another ring, and he wants to help the team get it. Presumably that means not being buried on the bench. Past rings don't automatically equal loyalty.

I'd buy the argument much more if you said that he should want to help defend the title/establish a dynasty/be part of legacy. Because that may actually carry some weight.

Again, I want Brent to return quite badly - but the reasons you list for his return don't add up.

SenorSpur
02-27-2008, 01:18 PM

I won't blame him at all if he goes elsewhere. But with the roots his family have established in the community here, I hope he signs with the Spurs.

Thank you Mary Poppins. :toast

That's exactly the point. Let's all look beyond our "silver and black" glasses folks. Brent doesn't owe the Spurs or Spurs fans anything. I don't agree with the rhethoric that "Brent is a traitor if he goes elsewhere", and "Brent needs to remember the Spurs got him 2 rings", or "Brent will achieve iconic status if he returns."

We hear all the time how "the NBA is a business". Certainly that is true. Very rarely does a player get to choose his own destination. Sure, he seems like a loyal cat and I'm sure he'll factor in the intangible elements like chemistry, his relationships with players & coaches.

Regardless of his decision, give the guy props for being a good player and a good fit for the team while he was here. If he comes back, wonderful. If he doesn't, let's wish him well. Later on, we can jeer, sneer and curse him the way we would any other opposing player - especially if it's the Suns. Perhaps, Horry could even give him his own personal hip-check into the scorer's table. :lol

Holt's Cat
02-27-2008, 01:26 PM
And get off the family kick. They've moved before. Barry's on the road a lot as it is with a NBA schedule. I'm sure they could move somewhere else, settle down, and have a good time.

It is what it is. Come back to the program you know, a program that has won 3 titles in the last 5 years and given you two rings. But there's no guarantee that you won't be dealt again. Or go somewhere unproven, but a place where you can be a difference maker.

This isn't a lock people. We fans think in terms of loyalty and what is best for the Spurs, but those who actually live it have their own agendas. It's like you and your boss. Your boss would like it if you'd work for 50% less, work on weekends and nights, not be paid when not needed and never leave. So what if your boss offers you a gold Timex? You already have a couple of those.

duncan228
02-27-2008, 01:44 PM
I'd buy the argument much more if you said that he should want to help defend the title/establish a dynasty/be part of legacy. Because that may actually carry some weight.

I like this. :)

Everything you said makes perfect sense. This is one of those issues where I'm leading with my heart instead of my head. Not a way to ever look at business issues.

whottt
02-27-2008, 01:47 PM
I don't see it as a given that he'll return to SA. And if he doesn't, Spurs fans will need to check themselves before they start running him down.

:lmao, certain Spursfans didn't check themselves when he was a member of the team...why start now?

You think the Spurs win championships by telling themselves it's a business when they are playing? Do you think that is the bond that they have when the come together to win a title? It's not...it's not what they are thinking about. They are thinking it's us...vs them. And when Barry is in that opposing uniform...by choice, not because the Spurs didn't want him...

I can guarantee you they aren't going to be thinking in the terms you guys are thinking now...

It'd be one thing if the Spurs didn't want him back(although I still question the wisdom of going to a teams top rival), it'd be one thing if he was getting lowballed...but they did, and he isn't...

And instead of electing to stand with them and defend their title...he elected to stand with their enemy and take it from them. He had the choice...

They'll know he chose to be on the opposing side...and they aren't going to care why...they'll just know he chose.

I am sure more than one Spur has issues with Pop as do all players with coaches everywhere...but Barry's not a coach, he's a player. And it's the players that he is betraying.

On the court...that's what it is going to be about...not all the high minded ideals you guys are talking about right now. They'll be trying to kick his butt extra...and every three he hits for the Suns is going to piss title craving Spursfans off just a little extra, every scheme he tips his teamates too is going to be just a little more salt in the wounds....when they realize he chose to be hitting that three against them...Whether they admit it now or not. Because fans don't think in the terms you guys are thinking now either...wait and see.

So talk about the way you think it should be...but that's not the way it's going to be...

Holt's Cat
02-27-2008, 01:52 PM
How is Barry betraying anyone? Unless he's told his teammates he would be back, then he's not if he signs elsewhere. Absolute loyalty expected, but not returned? You must be a fan.

Kori Ellis
02-27-2008, 01:54 PM
And get off the family kick. They've moved before. Barry's on the road a lot as it is with a NBA schedule. I'm sure they could move somewhere else, settle down, and have a good time.

I brought up family not because of the kids going to school and the family having a good time, but rather because of the community service/charity work that Erin & Brent have established here. However, of course, they can do it elsewhere too.

whottt
02-27-2008, 01:56 PM
How is Barry betraying anyone? Unless he's told his teammates he would be back, then he's not if he signs elsewhere. Absolute loyalty expected, but not returned? You must be a fan.

What have the Spurs done that is disloyal to Barry?

I am not talking about that they considered trading him for good...Barry has probably thought he made the wrong decision to sign here from time to time as well...that's diffrent.

This trade was not disloyal...they aren't trying to screw him out of money, they aren't trying to get rid of him permanently, and they want him back...

Hell...he's going to make extra money this season because of this trade...and he's got a better chance of winning a title now than he did before...no matter what he does.

How did they wrong Barry here?

How were they disloyal?

They didn't...they weren't...

Next.

If he goes to the Suns? That's the shot right there....

MajorMike
02-27-2008, 01:57 PM
I brought up family not because of the kids going to school and the family having a good time, but rather because of the community service/charity work that Erin & Brent have established here. However, of course, they can do it elsewhere too.

True, but when he moved to SA, Quinn was not 3 yet and was an only child. He is now almost 7 and Cade was born here and will be 2 this year.

MB3//
02-27-2008, 01:59 PM
I would love to see Barry announce he's made his decision, show up at the press conference with a Sun's T-shirt. And say "I've made my decision" As he says that he rips off his Suns shirt to reveal a Spurs shirt underneath. That'd be so good.

SenorSpur
02-27-2008, 01:59 PM
First off, I don't think it's a surprise to Barry that he was traded this time. If the Spurs thought they could bring him back clearly they made it clear that they wanted him back and that they expected the Sonics to waive him. Given the swiftness with which the Sonics waived him it definitely looked pre-arranged. Of course, the Sonics did need a roster spot after that 3way trade (IIRC).

So the Spurs are offering a 3 year deal. Great. Then Barry can be dealt this summer or next year again or anytime after that up until February of 2010. One would have to think he has considered that.

How do you know the Spurs offered him a 3-year deal?

wildbill2u
02-27-2008, 02:07 PM
If you are going to leave, go to Boston. Don't go to the Suns.

Thanks.
Although this article ignored Boston and virtually assured us that Barry will stay in the West, logic says he'd have a statistically better chance of winding up in the Finals with the Celtics since they don't have as much competition as the teams in the West.

His brother Jon is quoted in Houston as saying that he wants to (a) go to a team with a good chance of winning it all and (b) being a substantial role contributor, (eg. getting some substantial minutes or being more than a pine player) Of course Jon was touting Houston hard, but that was before the fall of the Great Wall.

And never underestimate the allure of Brent being able to say someday, "I played for the legendary Boston Celtics and helped them win a title that brought them back to their glory days."

I don't buy the Suns as a big competitor. But Boston could be another story.

picnroll
02-27-2008, 02:14 PM
In waiving Barry they've done nothing disloyal. I'm sure they knew Presti was not going to hold onto Barry. I'm sure Barry knew Pop wanted him back. What they did was make a move to significantly nhance their and Barry's chances of winning a title. If Barry is pissed about that then he's being ridiculous.

Past years it was about Barry lacking aggression on offense to Pop's satisfaction, playing gun shy at times, and that was legitimate. This year even Barry has said he's played more relaxed, the way Pop wanted him to play to begin with.

polandprzem
02-27-2008, 02:20 PM
Because Spurs fans will treat him like one.

hmm I thiught it was rather ironicly

but what do I know? :rolleyes

RonMexico
02-27-2008, 02:23 PM
I am sure Kerr is offering him the combo guard spot he loves to play as well.

No doubt Kerr is making it difficult...

But hopefully Brent realizes that about 50% of the reason the Suns want him is because he tears them up and they want him off our roster.

Yep. We'll give him the Clemens treatment. He only has to play home games and can fly home to San Antonio on road trips.

ChumpDumper
02-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Yep. We'll give him the Clemens treatment.You'll shoot him up with steroids and HGH?

rasho8
02-27-2008, 02:35 PM
You'll shoot him up with steroids and HGH?

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

I hate baseball.

ploto
02-27-2008, 02:47 PM
The loyalty Brent feels is for his friends, but if they are indeed his friends, they will respect the choice he makes.

I do not know what is so difficult to understand about the idea of going to the Suns where they have been desperate for someone to run the offense when Nash comes out. Brent would actually get to play with the ball in his hands and set his teammates up- much more like he did in Seattle and of which he got little chance in San Antonio. He fits in there better from a basketball stand point and a playing time stand point. If the Barry's did not intend to stay in San Antonio long term, then the pull of the city does not matter. Did people actually expect when this season began for Brent to be here next season anyway?

Ocotillo
02-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Hmmm, I wonder if the so called third year would be team option, player option or guaranteed? The idea of a 38 year old Barry taking up salary cap space doesn't sound to appealing. Since it is vet minimum, it would be inexpensive to buy out.

I don't think the Suns are going anywhere and will be wasting another year of Nash at this level........

ChumpDumper
02-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Did people actually expect when this season began for Brent to be here next season anyway?If he played for the minimum, why not? He was finally playing the way Pop wanted and seems to have more left in the tank than Finley.

DDS4
02-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Brent and the Spurs alike have to be ambiguous with the media. Or else they'll both be accused of tampering or violating the 30-day rule.

And I wouldn't hold it against Brent if he went to the Suns or another team for that matter. The last two years, he's been constant subject for trade talks, plus his playing time was inconsistent. It's a business if he got traded away. It's also business on Brent's part if he went to a different team.

Now if he comes back, he'll probably be one of the most beloved Spurs.

ThomasGranger
02-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Even if he does come back to the Spurs I'm going to chunk a water bottle at him just for dragging this whole thing out.

timvp
02-27-2008, 03:23 PM
I don't understand why does Timvp think Barry will be a "legend" if he decides to come back with the SPurs?Spurs fans already like Brent Barry. But now that he's once again on the open market and free to chose to go anywhere he wants, if he again picks the Spurs that will cement his status as a San Antonio legend.

The specific reasons as to why he'll be a legend, I'm not sure. I never figured out why Steve Kerr was a legend. That guy sucked 99.999% of his time as a Spur, yet he's probably a top ten most popular Spur of all-time.

All I know is Barry is one signature away from being a legend. If he re-signs, he'll go down as one of the most beloved Spurs of all-time. When he's seen in 20 years, a San Antonian will look at him as a Puro San Antonio Spur. If he signs with the Suns, he'll be viewed as just another player who came through town to bandwagon a couple rings.

The choice is yours, Brent.

whottt
02-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Part of the reason Kerr was so popular was because he was a Chicago Bull and thus more people recognized him than the typical player. Recognized him...as a winner.

Kerr played a bigger role on the 03 team than you guys want to give him credit for...dude shot 67% from 3 for a post season...you don't appreciate those shots until you don't have them.

He also had that indefinable mascot appeal that some players just have for whatever reason...

Barry doesn't have that appeal though...as he has hit a lot more shots and had as many big playoff series for the Spurs as Kerr ever did...Plus he does everything else better. And yet he's nowhere near as popular as Kerr.

timvp
02-27-2008, 03:40 PM
Kerr played a bigger role on the 03 team than you guys want to give him credit for...dude shot 67% from 3 for a post season...you don't appreciate those shots until you don't have them.He hit seven shots all playoffs. To put it in perspective, freakin' Francisco Elson hit four times as many shots last year in the playoffs.

While it's true that Kerr hit big shots during that postseason, his seven shots shouldn't have been enough to make him one of the most popular Spurs of all-time.

He also had that indefinable mascot appeal that some players just have for whatever reason...

Barry doesn't have that appeal though...as he has hit a lot more shots and had as many big playoff series for the Spurs as Kerr ever did...Plus he does everything else better. And yet he's nowhere near as popular as Kerr.I agree that Barry >>>>>>>>>>> Kerr. The one thing Kerr might be better at is shooting, but I'd take an open Barry three before I'd take an open Kerr three.

But yeah, if Barry re-signs, he'll gain that appeal with Spurs fans. Spurs fans have been frustrated a bit with Barry through the years for all his hesitating on open jumpers but this will make Spurs fans forget about all that.

SenorSpur
02-27-2008, 03:44 PM
I confess that at the time it was announced, I lamented the fact that the J.R. Smith-for-Barry trade didn't go through. Thought better of it later.

picnroll
02-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Kerr had one outstanding stretch against the Mavs in a game, bringing the Spurs' back, saving their bacon. That's been magnified.

timvp
02-27-2008, 03:46 PM
Kerr had one outstanding stretch against the Mavs in a game, bringing the Spurs' back, saving their bacon. That's been magnified.The problem with how that game is remembered is it was actually SJax and Rose who brought them back. Kerr just put the nails in the coffin after the Spurs caught up.

But I don't want to turn this into a Kerr thread . . .

whottt
02-27-2008, 03:50 PM
He hit seven shots all playoffs. To put it in perspective, freakin' Francisco Elson hit four times as many shots last year in the playoffs.

While it's true that Kerr hit big shots during that postseason, his seven shots shouldn't have been enough to make him one of the most popular Spurs of all-time.

He only hit 7 shots....but Pop didn't play him. When Pop put him in he was nailing threes and twos. And I will disagree that he didn't play a role...he was the solution to us choking huge leads...a big time problem for that team. By the last two rounds of the playoffs he was the heimlich manuever. Even on FT some nights...

Ask Duncan...Duncan was the reason he got the minutes he did.

He didn't hit a lot of shots...but he came in cold and was drilling them...that's got to be insane hard to do.

It wasn't jus the fans that got excited about it either...

David Robinson was jumping up and down like a 5 year old.

And my perspective is one shot is enough to make a guy a hero....if it's the right shot.

The question I ask...is why was Kerr a hero before he hit them?

He was popular from the day he became a Spur.

It's the Bull connection. He was easily identifiable as a Chicago Bull who played with Jordan and hit big shots for Mike.

K-State Spur
02-27-2008, 03:51 PM
Kerr had one outstanding stretch against the Mavs in a game, bringing the Spurs' back, saving their bacon. That's been magnified.

he played pretty well in game 5 against the Nets as well. but yeah, his significance has been over-stated. doubtful that any of those series go the other way even without him.

FromWayDowntown
02-27-2008, 04:05 PM
It wasn't jus the fans that got excited about it either...

David Robinson was jumping up and down like a 5 year old.

It wasn't just Kerr that got people excited. Kerr hit big shots in the midst of a 30-2 run that extended for almost 9:30 of a series clinching game on the home court of a rival, in a playoff run that validated the things that happened in 1999. I'm not saying the guys weren't happy for Steve Kerr or that Steve Kerr didn't play a big role in what happened. But a 30-2 run will get some people excited.

It's not as if Kerr hadn't played until the 4th quarter of that game, either. He hit a 3 with about 2 minutes to go in the 3rd and had been in the game for about 2 minutes before that. Still, his run was extremely memorable and it certainly put Dallas away.

For the record, Kerr did lead the Spurs in scoring during that burst:

9 -- Kerr (3 three pointers)
6 -- Jackson (2 three pointers)
6 -- Duncan (2 field goals, 2 free throws)
5 -- Ginobili (1 three pointer, 2 free throws)
4 -- Rose (1 field goal, 2 free throws)

timvp
02-27-2008, 04:09 PM
He only hit 7 shots....but Pop didn't play him. When Pop put him in he was nailing threes and twos. And I will disagree that he didn't play a role...he was the solution to us choking huge leads...a big time problem for that team. By the last two rounds of the playoffs he was the heimlich manuever. That's more Kerr myth. Against the Mavs, he put the daggers in on that comeback effort. Props on that. But Game 5 against the Nets, the Spurs had that game in the bag when Kerr hit his shots. In Game 6, when he came in the Spurs fell further behind. There was no Heimlich maneuvers in either of those two games against the Nets. And those were the only three games he played in during that playoff run.

Somehow Kerr is remembered as a guy who saved the day but it just wasn't true. He hit some shots against the Mavs with the worst defender in NBA history on him after the Spurs had caught all the way back up. I'll give him props for that. In Game 5 against the Nets, he hit a few shots when the game was over. Props. But that doesn't make him the a top ten Spurs player ever ... which is how Spurs fans see him.

Even on FT some nights...See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Kerr never saved the Spurs with clutch free throws during that playoff run. People like you making crap up is part of the reason why Kerr is so overrated in Spurs lore.

whottt
02-27-2008, 04:12 PM
See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Kerr never saved the Spurs with clutch free throws during that playoff run. People like you making crap up is part of the reason why Kerr is so overrated is Spurs lore.

You're wrong...there was a game where the Spurs were bricking FT's and Duncan flat out tells Pop to put Kerr in to hit a tech or something...he says it to him as they are going to a commercial break.

I can easily find this box score and PBP...brb.

whottt
02-27-2008, 04:14 PM
It wasn't just Kerr that got people excited. Kerr hit big shots in the midst of a 30-2 run that extended for almost 9:30 of a series clinching game on the home court of a rival, in a playoff run that validated the things that happened in 1999. I'm not saying the guys weren't happy for Steve Kerr or that Steve Kerr didn't play a big role in what happened. But a 30-2 run will get some people excited.

It's not as if Kerr hadn't played until the 4th quarter of that game, either. He hit a 3 with about 2 minutes to go in the 3rd and had been in the game for about 2 minutes before that. Still, his run was extremely memorable and it certainly put Dallas away.

For the record, Kerr did lead the Spurs in scoring during that burst:

9 -- Kerr (3 three pointers)
6 -- Jackson (2 three pointers)
6 -- Duncan (2 field goals, 2 free throws)
5 -- Ginobili (1 three pointer, 2 free throws)
4 -- Rose (1 field goal, 2 free throws)

Well you're wrong about that...Kerr was one of David Robinson's oldest friends on the team and all you have to do is watch that segment and see Drob is cheering for what Kerr did. Listen to his jersey retirement too...he talks a great deal about Kerr.

Revisionism at it's finest...doesn't really bother me that much since Kerr is a Sun now...but it's still revisionism.

timvp
02-27-2008, 04:16 PM
You're wrong...there was a game where the Spurs were bricking FT's and Duncan flat out tells Pop to put Kerr in to hit a tech or something...he says it to him as they are going to a commercial break.

I can easily find this box score and PBP...brb.I wanted to quote this before you try to go back and edit it. You are making crap up. None of that ever happened.

Maybe in some Steve Kerr fantasy land that I'm not aware of but not in real life.

Good luck with that box score search. I've watched every game of that playoff run countless times. I would remember if anything close to that happened.

But yeah, good luck :lmao

FromWayDowntown
02-27-2008, 04:17 PM

I can easily find this box score and PBP...brb.

Kerr was 3-4 from the line for the entire 2003 Playoffs. He went 2-2 in Game 4 at Dallas, a game that the Spurs won by 7 and shot 84% from the line. He hit those FT with the Spurs up 5 and 14 seconds left in the game.

He also went 1-2 in Game 5 of the Finals at New Jersey (the Spurs shot 83% from the line in that game). The free throw he missed came with the Spurs up 10 and 34 seconds left in that game. The free throw he made put the Spurs up by 10 at the same juncture of the game.

whottt
02-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Boxcore for your perusal...

http://www.nba.com/games/20030525/SASDAL/boxscore.html

That's what broke the ice of getting Kerr back into games...and it was Duncan that did it. Go back and watch the games...you'll see Duncan talking to Pop and pointing Kerr as they cut to a commercial break.

whottt
02-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Yeah...I guess you guys are right...that team never lost games at the FT line or allowed them to get back into games...

My bad :tu

ChumpDumper
02-27-2008, 04:19 PM
That's a pretty good FT percentage for the Spurs. When were they bricking?

Spurs Dynasty 21
02-27-2008, 04:20 PM
if he goes to the Suns I would laugh at his face when the Suns get knocked out of the playoffs

td4mvp21
02-27-2008, 04:20 PM
Yeah...I guess you guys are right...that team never lost games at the FT line or allowed them to get back into games...

My bad :tu

No you're problem is you make judgments based on the last 30 seconds of a game rather than the game itself. I wouldn't call any of those Kerr free throws "clutch".

whottt
02-27-2008, 04:21 PM
I never argue vehemently unless I know I'm right...and I know I'm right on this one. Because I was 100% in agreement with Duncan.

It wasn't that they were on the verge of losing that particular game...it was that the formula for their losses pretty obvious and Duncan finally had something to say about it.

Futher more...in that Dallas come back, you can see Duncan and Kerr working on getting him a shot when Duncan is getting doubled, and you can even see Duncan getting a little irate when Kerr kept passing the ball back...he also commented on it in a post game interview.

timvp
02-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Boxcore for your perusal...

http://www.nba.com/games/20030525/SASDAL/boxscore.html

That's what broke the ice of getting Kerr back into games...and it was Duncan that did it. Go back and watch the games...you'll see Duncan talking to Pop and pointing Kerr as they cut to a commercial break.:lmao

The game was over before Kerr hit those free throws at the end. There were only a couple seconds left in the game. And no Spur missed any free throws down the stretch. There was no Heimlich maneuver needed. The game was over and there were no missed free throws by anyone at the end. And Duncan never said anything to Pop about putting Kerr in. Kerr came in for Bowen when the Mavs were fouling ... like he did countless times during that playoff run.

But yeah, thanks for providing more BS Steve Kerr mythology.

whottt
02-27-2008, 04:23 PM
That's a pretty good FT percentage for the Spurs. When were they bricking?

All throughout that post season...

That was the formula for just about every comeback against them and at least one loss.

Xylus
02-27-2008, 04:24 PM
if he goes to the Suns I would laugh at his face when the Suns get knocked out of the playoffs
And I'm sure you'll get that opportunity some day... :rolleyes

ChumpDumper
02-27-2008, 04:24 PM
All throughout that post season...

That was the formula for just about every comeback against them and at least one loss.I'm talking about this particular game. They only missed five.

whottt
02-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Intelligence if the ability to see what's going to happen before it happens...I know Duncan and whott have this trait...I seriously question if anyone else does. So because Kerr prevented it...it wouldn't have happened? It happened in nearly every loss that post season.

The Spurs would get bogged down or they start bricking throws and the opposing team would get back in the game...it was the formula for nearly every loss.

But you are right...whottt is just making shit up...that team was a great FT shooting team, and they never blew leads...

Well said :tu

timvp
02-27-2008, 04:28 PM
I never argue vehemently unless I know I'm right...and I know I'm right on this one. Because I was 100% in agreement with Duncan. You're dead wrong. You really think Kerr saved a choking Spurs team in that link you provided? And why the hell would Duncan point to Kerr? You think Pop was going to keep Bowen in the game when the other team was going to foul?

It wasn't that they were on the verge of losing that particular game...it was that the formula for their losses pretty obvious and Duncan finally had something to say about it. ROFL. Good attempt at a backtrack. That game was over. There was no Heimlich maneuver. No Spur was missing free throws. Duncan didn't tell Pop to do something that Pop had done all playoffs long.

Apology Accepted.

Sincerely,

Reality.

Futher more...in that Dallas come back, you can see Duncan and Kerr working on getting him a shot when Duncan is getting doubled, and you can even see Duncan getting a little irate when Kerr kept passing the ball back...he also commented on it in a post game interview.ROFL @ the idea of having to work to get an open shot against that version of Steve Nash.

Spurs Dynasty 21
02-27-2008, 04:30 PM
why would he seriously want to go to the Suns? doesn't he know he would be getting Jalen Rose playing time?

timvp
02-27-2008, 04:32 PM
And then the Spurs were being attacked by a rabid group of unicorns but luckily Steve Kerr pulled out his diamond-studded machete and killed all the rabid unicorns while David Robinson cheered him and jumped around in circles........

whottt
02-27-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm talking about this particular game. They only missed five.

I never said they didn't miss any FT's that game...I said that team had a problem with FT shooting and blowing big leads, both late...it was their problem. IT was formula for their losses...and it never happened again in a game Kerr got minutes again...for the rest of that post season.

He was the security blanket.

FromWayDowntown
02-27-2008, 04:35 PM
I never said they didn't miss any FT's that game...I said that team had a problem with FT shooting and blowing big leads, both late...it was their problem. IT was formula for their losses...and it never happened again in a game Kerr got minutes again...for the rest of that post season.

He was the security blanket.

You said they were bricking free throws. Not that they had a tendency to brick free throws, but that they were actually bricking free throws:

there was a game where the Spurs were bricking FT's and Duncan flat out tells Pop to put Kerr in to hit a tech or something...

And, again, he shot 4 free throws. I'm not sure how his presence made the Spurs better free throw shooters, but if that's what your argument is, I don't suppose that there's anything to absolutely prove that you're wrong.

timvp
You're wrong...there was a game where the Spurs were bricking FT's and Duncan flat out tells Pop to put Kerr in to hit a tech or something...he says it to him as they are going to a commercial break. Just a reminder of what you actually said. The Spurs were bricking free throws that game before Kerr checked in?

Question.

easjer
Blah Blah Blah Fishcakes

Can we please get back to biting our nails over Barry?

j/k

whottt
02-27-2008, 04:37 PM
Find a game Kerr appeared in substantially that we lost a big lead in after that...

Didn't happen...in the games he played in, it did in several that he didn't though.

ChumpDumper
02-27-2008, 04:37 PM

He was the security blanket.It just seems like a weird game to use as an example. Are you saying the Spurs good free throw shooting in that game is due to Kerr's hitting two free throws in four seconds of play?

romad_20
02-27-2008, 04:39 PM
Enough with Kerr, who cares? He hit huge shots in Dallas in game 6, almost collasped red-faced and that's it.

Is this Barry decision going down today or not?

timvp
02-27-2008, 04:40 PM
You didn't answer my question.

Find a game Kerr appeared in substantially that we lost a big lead in after that...How about a game that Kerr played in where the Spurs fell into a hole while he played and then went on a run when he came out?

whottt
02-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Just a reminder of what you actually said. The Spurs were bricking free throws that game before Kerr checked in?

Question.

Hmmm...it's possible they bricked a couple right before that happened yeah...but it's also possible that they were looking like they were about to...again, and Duncan told Pop to put Kerr's ass out there....because he didn't want it to happen again. That team lost games at the FT line late(among other things)...in the playoffs...particularly when they had the lead.

:lmao at me having to prove that team was a shitty FT shooting team lol.

If they weren't the worst int he NBA they were the second worst and IIRC they lost one of the Phoenix game at the FT line.

Pretty sure FT's were a part of their game 1 loss...

They hacked the crap out of Bruce Bowen several times including one loss.

I hate to break this to you...but I did not one stumble upon this boxscore and come up with some elaborate fantasy behind it...

I rememebered the sequence between Duncan and Pop and their just so happens to be a boxscore completely inline with my recollection.

My recollections can be faulty...but not about this sort of thing. This one is right.

There's a reason that was the game where Kerr got back into the rotation...and it was Duncan. And the sequence was on TV.

You tell me timvp...why do you think Kerr suddenly started getting minutes in the WCF?

Pop just decided to pull that one out of his ass for entertainement purposes?

whottt
02-27-2008, 04:50 PM
You didn't answer my question.

How about a game that Kerr played in where the Spurs fell into a hole while he played and then went on a run when he came out?

That's meaningless...that was the recipe for just about every Spurs win in the post season...

It was when they had the big leads that they would lose.

I never said he was the come backking...I said he was the heimlich manuever, and we stopped choking games away like we had been in our losses when he got into the game...

timvp
02-27-2008, 04:51 PM
You tell me timvp...why do you think Kerr suddenly started getting minutes in the WCF?

Pop just decided to pull that one out of his ass for entertainement purposes?Where you even a Spurs fan back then? Parker was sick for Game 6 and Speedy was sucking. Kerr was the third string point guard.

Was it really that hard to piece together?

But yeah, tell us more about the unicorns.

:sleep

whottt
02-27-2008, 04:52 PM
It just seems like a weird game to use as an example. Are you saying the Spurs good free throw shooting in that game is due to Kerr's hitting two free throws in seven seconds of play?

Yes...I think that team didn't have confidence in their FT shooting in close games...and I think Kerr steadied that.

I think they also had trouble getting back into an offensive flow once they had huge lead...and Kerr fixed that too...in fact I know he did that...becase we never lost another game like that for the reast of that post season when he got to play enough to have an impact.

And that's very similar to Barry does too...and why I've always said he should get minutes in games where we have big leads and our offense is stalling.

timvp
02-27-2008, 04:54 PM
I never said he was the come backking...I said he was the heimlich manuever, and we stopped choking games away like we had been in our losses when he got into the game...:lmao

Kerr was part of the Comeback Kings in Game 6 against the Mavs. In Game 5 against the Nets, his big plays came after the game was already over. The Spurs were comfortably up. In Game 6 against the Nets, Kerr was part of the reason the Spurs fell into the hole. When he came out, that's when the Spurs went on their run.

That was the only three games he played in. Show me one example of what you are talking about.

Or stop making up crap.

Thanks.

whottt
Where you even a Spurs fan back then? Parker was sick for Game 6 and Speedy was sucking. Kerr was the third string point guard.

Was it really that hard to piece together?

But yeah, tell us more about the unicorns.

:sleep

I see...so Parker was sick for the rest of the post season and Speedy sucked for the rest of the post season? Because Kerr got minutes more or less regularly for the rest of the post season(in wins)...

Explain it...

Holt's Cat
I recall Kerr sucking so much in Game 2 of the '99 WCF (yes, MDM) that the Blazers left his ass wide open with the rock at the arc.

How many other white role players does whottt fantasize about?

whottt
02-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Ehh...I got to go work...I'll be back to deal with you asswipes later.

I'm right...

Just like I was right about Horry...and Barry.

You guys be good little property till I return...

Shred
02-27-2008, 04:57 PM
At this point, no matter who Barry signs with, it will be very anticlimactic and not worth the wait.

ChumpDumper
02-27-2008, 04:58 PM
At this point, no matter who Barry signs with, it will be very anticlimactic and not worth the wait.Nah, there will be much rejoicing somewhere.

duncan228
02-27-2008, 05:00 PM
What fun!

timvp, whottt, ChumpDumper and FromWayDowntown! :downspin:

whottt
02-27-2008, 05:01 PM
:lmao

Kerr was part of the Comeback Kings in Game 6 against the Mavs.

According to you...but then again, you say he wasn't a part of the comeback in the very next sentence...

What you need to find is whottt saying he was responsible for the comeback...I've always said he was the cure for the way that team would choke in losses.

And he obviously was...

timvp
02-27-2008, 05:02 PM

I rememebered the sequence between Duncan and Pop and their just so happens to be a boxscore completely inline with my recollection.

My recollections can be faulty...but not about this sort of thing. This one is right.

I just fired up my copy of the game on my computer. The sequence in that Mav game you are talking about and linked to was:

Stephen Jackson hits two free throws
Steve Kerr hits two free throws
Stephen Jackson hits two free throws

Game over.

There was no Duncan pointing to Kerr. Didn't happen. No missed free throws late in the game. No choking. No technicals. No unicorns.

You were making crap up. Admit it.

timvp
02-27-2008, 05:06 PM
I see...so Parker was sick for the rest of the post season and Speedy sucked for the rest of the post season? Because Kerr got minutes more or less regularly for the rest of the post season(in wins)...

Explain it...Explain it? I can't explain something didn't happen.

The Spurs had four more wins after that Mavs win. Kerr got a DNP-CD in two of those wins. In one of the wins, he hit shots after the game was over. In the other win, he was part of the reason the Spurs fell into the hole.

ROFL.

ChumpDumper
02-27-2008, 05:07 PM
Yes...I think that team didn't have confidence in their FT shooting in close games...and I think Kerr steadied that.He retroactively steadied the Spurs into hitting 84% from the line that entire game by hitting two at the 14 second mark of the fourth quarter.

He must be some sort of Croatian shaman.

timvp
02-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Oh well. whottt waved the white flag. I guess we'll have to laugh at something else.

Speaking of ROFL's, this just came over the GoogleNews wire regarding Barry ...

The Spurs got rid of some baggage when they traded Brent Barry to the Seattle Super Sonics for Kurt Thomas, a well-grounded overall player who can shoot the three ball as well as post up.

http://media.www.keeneequinox.com/media/storage/paper537/news/2008/02/28/Sports/The-Wild.Wild.West-3235259.shtml

Not quite whottt level ROFL but ROFL nonetheless.

MannyIsGod
02-27-2008, 05:16 PM
He retroactively steadied the Spurs into hitting 84% from the line that entire game by hitting two at the 14 second mark of the fourth quarter.

He must be some sort of Croatian shaman.Do you realize how fucking offensive that is?

ChumpDumper
02-27-2008, 05:17 PM
:lol

whottt
02-27-2008, 05:17 PM
You were making crap up. Admit it.

I'm not making shit up.

If I was making shit up...I'd admit it. I'm not making shit up...

Nah...you're wrong on this one.

No apology...no I was mistaken. It happend...I'm not mistaken.

timvp
02-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Do you realize how fucking offensive that is?:rollin

timvp
02-27-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm not making shit up.

If I was making shit up...I'd admit it. I'm not making shit up...

Nah...you're wrong on this one.

No apology...no I was mistaken. It happend...I'm not mistaken.Your only proof of it happening is you saying it happened. Give some proof or else "go to work".

Viva Las Espuelas
02-27-2008, 05:20 PM
He must be some sort of Croatian shaman.is that similar to an Irish Monk.

ChumpDumper
02-27-2008, 05:22 PM
is that similar to an Irish Monk.I hit shelshor with a folding chair when he used the phrase "Norwegian Druid" at the Toros game.

Dex
02-27-2008, 05:23 PM
But I don't want to turn this into a Kerr thread . . .

:stirpot:

whottt
02-27-2008, 05:31 PM
Your only proof of it happening is you saying it happened. Give some proof or else "go to work".

I am..and if I'm late to work it's your fault for starting this argument right before I go into work...

You are wrong on this...

You sure you got all the commercial segments on that video? Because it happened dude...

Why you think I would make up something that inane is beyond me...besides, it's pretty obvious I am right and that he was the cure...

I don't expect you too see it...if you could see that you'd have seen why Horry wasn't done and Barry didn't suck...

And why Bonner does.

Choker lover.

timvp
02-27-2008, 05:32 PM
:stirpot:Hey, I tried. I had let this Kerr BS go on for too many years.

timvp
02-27-2008, 05:33 PM
I am..and if I'm late to work it's your fault for starting this argument right before I go into work...

You are wrong on this...

You sure you got all the commercial segments on that video? Because it's on there dude...Yes. And I'm sure that the Spurs didn't miss any free throws in that stretch. Or any of that other stuff you said.

timvp
02-27-2008, 05:34 PM
you'd have seen why Horry wasn't doneDon't make me break out that link.

Or else you'll really "be late for work".

timvp
02-27-2008, 05:40 PM
http://drudgereport.com/siren.gif

Barry has reportedly told the Suns and Spurs that he will have a decision by 8PM. No word if that is San Antonio time or Phoenix time.

duncan228
02-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the update timvp.

Who breaks it first, local SA or Suns guys or Ludden? :lol

Leetonidas
02-27-2008, 05:47 PM
It's gonna be the Spurs.

peacemaker885
02-27-2008, 05:56 PM
With all of the "collusion" talk and the Presti "payback debt" news, maybe Kerr is in it too :) BTW, this is my first post. Spurstalk Rules!

MannyIsGod
02-27-2008, 06:07 PM
http://drudgereport.com/siren.gif

Barry has reportedly told the Suns and Spurs that he will have a decision by 8PM. No word if that is San Antonio time or Phoenix time.OMG man. Why can't he just say something already?

romad_20
02-27-2008, 06:14 PM
It's gonna be the Spurs.

:wow Who is that in the gif???!?!?

Que Gee
02-27-2008, 06:18 PM
OMG man. Why can't he just say something already?

Bruno
02-27-2008, 06:21 PM
It's strange to see Barry giving a deadline for his answer instead of giving an answer.
Either if he toying with one team or making a choice is really complicate for him.

In any case, I have a hard time to understand what happens.
Is Barry bitter against Spurs and want a little payback ?
Is Barry following a CIA Pop plan to avoid a collusion accusation ?
Is is that complicate for Barry to choose against Spurs and Suns ?

Budkin
02-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Thank God we can all stop talking about this after 8pm since he will be choosing the Spurs.

ThomasGranger
02-27-2008, 06:24 PM
It's strange to see Barry giving a deadline for his answer instead of giving an answer.
Either if he toying with one team or making a choice is really complicate for him.

In any case, I have a hard time to understand what happens.
Is Barry bitter against Spurs and want a little payback ?
Is Barry following a CIA Pop plan to avoid a collusion accusation ?
Is is that complicate for Barry to choose against Spurs and Suns ?

Or, maybe he is waiting to see how something else plays out. (can't imagine what that could be, but who knows?)

Trainwreck2100
02-27-2008, 06:25 PM
:wow Who is that in the gif???!?!?

:rolleyes

FromWayDowntown
02-27-2008, 06:25 PM
The deadline is so that he can get his family on the plane and in the air before the lynch mobs of rejected Spurs fans show up at his house to exact some payback!!

CIA Bones.

MannyIsGod
02-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Bruno - I think he's really torn. This goes faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar beyond any possible CIA POP CIA BARRY moves but who knows.

Barry, please, think of the whottt. Stay.

romad_20
02-27-2008, 06:27 PM
:rolleyes

WTF is your problem? I just asked a question, nothing is happening with Barry anyway. Lighten up, bitch.

Doesn't it say "I like boobies" on your profile?

MannyIsGod
02-27-2008, 06:28 PM
I really hope Barry comes back on so many levels but I can already see Ploto's posts if he doesn't.

Barry please. Think of Spurstalk. Stay.

MannyIsGod
02-27-2008, 06:29 PM
QG - Please direct Bones to this thread. Surely if he sees my last 2 posts he will see my infallible logic and stay.

T Park
02-27-2008, 06:30 PM
Just announce it freaking already...

picnroll
02-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Try this Bones. (http://onlinecrystalball.com/)

mikejones99
02-27-2008, 06:32 PM
this is all about how much CASH $$$$$$ he gonna get.

FromWayDowntown
02-27-2008, 06:35 PM
this is all about how much CASH $$$$$$ he gonna get.

There's very little doubt that in the remainder of this season, he'll get more cash if he goes to Phoenix. He'll be eligible for more games there and will get a bigger fraction of the veteran's minimum because of that.

If it's true that the Spurs offered an additional year at the minimum, then Barry will likely get more over the life of a new contract if he stays in San Antonio.

Whisky Dog
02-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Ok Brent. You're in the twilight of your career and are a multi-millionaire with two world championships. All you have to decide is which team you want to take a vet minimum deal for a year or two until you ride off into the sunset. Fuckin decide already!

Ocotillo
02-27-2008, 06:37 PM
There's very little doubt that in the remainder of this season, he'll get more cash if he goes to Phoenix. He'll be eligible for more games there and will get a bigger fraction of the veteran's minimum because of that.

If it's true that the Spurs offered an additional year at the minimum, then Barry will likely get more over the life of a new contract if he stays in San Antonio.

What about playoff money? Spurs will go deeper in the playoffs than D'Antoni.

picnroll
02-27-2008, 06:40 PM
FWIW from the Sun board on RealGM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rick Barry is on KTAR right now talking about Brent. He says that Brent would be better off basketball wise here in Phoenix than in San Antonio. Says he would love to see Brent here and would be a great fit here. However, he says, the San Antonio community and the Spurs love Brent and his wife and that the decision by Brent will most likely be made by his wife. In the regards of whether SHE wants to be here or if SHE would care if he's here or if SHE wants him to stay in San Antonio.

Ocotillo
02-27-2008, 06:43 PM
Rick Barry incurred the wrath of Spurs fan when David Robinson was drafted by recommending D-Rob sit out become a free agent and sign with the Lakers. He finally got a bit of a reprieve when one of his sons signed here and became a fan favorite. Now this.

Barry (Rick) your on the list again.

FromWayDowntown
02-27-2008, 06:49 PM
What about playoff money? Spurs will go deeper in the playoffs than D'Antoni.

Playoff money creates a minimal difference. In 2003, the Spurs had the best record in the league (there's a bonus for that), played in all 4 rounds of the playoffs, and won the title. As a team, they collected about $2.5 million to be divided into shares. If they awarded only 20 full shares (unlikely), the payout would have come to about $128,000 per share. I'm guessing that they give out many more shares and that the per player take from playoff money is relatively small as NBA money goes. (It's huge money to most of the rest of us, of course!!) The only point at which there's a huge disparity for having success is for the teams that reach the Finals. The difference between getting knocked out in the 2nd round and getting knocked out in the conference finals is quite small from a playoff money standpoint.

T Park
02-27-2008, 06:50 PM
FWIW from the Sun board on RealGM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rick Barry is on KTAR right now talking about Brent. He says that Brent would be better off basketball wise here in Phoenix than in San Antonio. Says he would love to see Brent here and would be a great fit here. However, he says, the San Antonio community and the Spurs love Brent and his wife and that the decision by Brent will most likely be made by his wife. In the regards of whether SHE wants to be here or if SHE would care if he's here or if SHE wants him to stay in San Antonio.

If its true, then the chances of the Spurs resigning him went up because Jon Barry has said a milion times "Erin loves San Antonio and wouldn't want to go anywhere"

FromWayDowntown
02-27-2008, 06:56 PM
I can see it now:

Brent makes his announcement on the 10:00 news in San Antonio during a sit-down with Don Harris in which he repeatedly says that his decision depends entirely upon whether Don Harris will put his journalistic integrity on the line and immediately demand that the Spurs retire #17 at the end of Brent's career. Don, having a fateful decision for Spurs fans depending on his answer, realizes that he lacks the man love for Brent Barry that he has for Avery Johnson, hems and haws and Brent announces that he's going to Phoenix and walks off the stage shouting "Suck on it, Pop" and "Up yours, Flopbili!"

Somewhere, ploto rejoices and Suns fans spend an evening feeling as though they finally got over on the Spurs.

remingtonbo2001
02-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Still nothing?

OK....Take your time Brent. I don't think there's any rush to get you back on the court.

BonnerDynasty
02-27-2008, 07:06 PM
Ok Brent. You're in the twilight of your career and are a multi-millionaire with two world championships. All you have to decide is which team you want to take a vet minimum deal for a year or two until you ride off into the sunset. Fuckin decide already!

loveforthegame
02-27-2008, 07:22 PM
I wish he'd spit it out already.

If he chooses the Spurs he can return 30 days from what? The trade day or when he was waived or what?

phyzik
02-27-2008, 07:22 PM
so, if Brent does come back to the Spurs, how many times would that have made QueGee wrong in his time here?

Serious Question.

porscha
02-27-2008, 07:33 PM
so tonight at 8 for sure?

picnroll
02-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Shoot the ball Brent.

timvp
02-27-2008, 07:51 PM

This better not play out like Ime Udoka's signing. That took months.

usckk
02-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Dear Barry,

I know the Spurs fans were quite hard on you at times. They expected you to join the Spurs and automatically make their game much free flowing. Your third-point threat was also highly anticipated. Granted, you started out slow, but you have greatly improved sense your first year. The fans' hard criticism only resulted because they know you are a great player. Your efforts for the team in their two championship runs are underappreciated, but if you stay here for a few more years, you have a chance to become a legend, much like what Steve Kerr did with the Spurs. Brent, please stay!

Much Love,
usckk

Kori Ellis
02-27-2008, 08:04 PM
so, if Brent does come back to the Spurs, how many times would that have made QueGee wrong in his time here?

Serious Question.

Did QueGee say that Brent wasn't coming back?

FromWayDowntown
02-27-2008, 08:05 PM

I don't know that KG has definitively answered the questions -- the posts about Brent's decision have had a Magic 8-ball quality (and for understandable reasons, I suspect).

Kori Ellis
02-27-2008, 08:06 PM
I do have to note that it's funny that soooooooooooo many fans, analysts, newspapers, blogs, etc are all riled up about what Brent Barry is going to do. You'd think it was 26 year old Michael Jordan making a decision, not 36 year old (injured) Brent Barry :lol

Nothing against Barry at all ... I am just amused by the attention and angst regarding the matter.

timvp
02-27-2008, 08:07 PM
http://athletefoundations.com/images/client_barry.jpg
Shoot it!

usckk
02-27-2008, 08:08 PM
I do have to note that it's funny that soooooooooooo many fans, analysts, newspapers, blogs, etc are all riled up about what Brent Barry is going to do. You'd think it was 26 year old Michael Jordan making a decision, not 36 year old (injured) Brent Barry :lol

Nothing against Barry at all ... I am just amused by the attention and angst regarding the matter.

That tells you how coveted good shooting still is.

Spuradicator
02-27-2008, 08:08 PM

Kori Ellis
02-27-2008, 08:11 PM
That tells you how coveted good shooting still is.

Or how bored basketball fans are.

DieMrBond
02-27-2008, 08:11 PM

I think you might have found out the reason that this is taking so long Kori, Brent is absolutely amazed that he is the 'most sought after Free Agent', and wants to milk it for all its worth.

Who can blame him? It's a once in a lifetime chance!

ploto
02-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Rick Barry is on KTAR right now talking about Brent. He says that Brent would be better off basketball wise here in Phoenix than in San Antonio. Says he would love to see Brent here and would be a great fit here.
Where did I read that today??

timvp
02-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Where did I read that today??When Raptors fans said Rasho would be better off playing in Europe?

:stirpot:

phyzik
02-27-2008, 08:17 PM

I Know I remembered something that he said, wasnt exactly a flat out denial, but still :lol

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2267345#post2267345

I will be EXTREMELY surprised if he is back in a Spurs uniform. :)

dont know if Que Gee was being CIA with the Smiley or what.

mikejones99
02-27-2008, 08:24 PM
so he gets about $10 million for 2 or 3 years and a week to decide where

phyzik
02-27-2008, 08:39 PM
22 minutes to go, give or take, if its our time. :wakeup

Trainwreck2100
02-27-2008, 08:46 PM
22 minutes to go, give or take, if its our time. :wakeup

One hour and 22 minutes if it's Phoenix time

stxspurs
02-27-2008, 08:46 PM
almost 8.......come on barry!

timvp
02-27-2008, 08:50 PM
If it's that tough, flip a coin or something ...........

phyzik
02-27-2008, 08:52 PM
If it's that tough, flip a coin or something ...........

http://academic.kellogg.edu/mckayg/buad112/web/pres/coin%20flip.jpg

stxspurs
02-27-2008, 08:53 PM
paper=suns
scissors=spurs
scissors>paper

porscha
com'on barry.. don't give up to be the mango tree

T Park
This is getting to the point of being rediculous.

picnroll
Maybe that was 8 o'clock mountain time.

stxspurs
where will it be reported?

T Park
02-27-2008, 08:55 PM
paper=suns
scissors=spurs
scissors>paper

Its looking more like Kramer and the midget.

"Rock"
"Rock"

"Rock"
"Rock"

Dex
Barry is gonna wait until 7:59:45PM to make the call, just to make San Antonians sweat. :lol

Frankly, if a decision is out by today, I'll be happy. Was better than I was hoping for.

FromWayDowntown
This would be absolutely ridiculous, but there was a commercial flight that left San Antonio at about 6:30 this evening and it is scheduled to arrive in Phoenix before 8 p.m. MST.

I'm sure that Sarver, renowned for his open pockets, would have at least sent a private plane to bring in his new addition, right?

T Park
I still have 7 55 :lol

T Park
02-27-2008, 08:56 PM
Honestly Im shocked nothings been leaked.

timvp
02-27-2008, 08:57 PM
where will it be reported?Probably Ludden at Yahoo. Or the PHX newspapers.

T Park
02-27-2008, 08:57 PM
This would be absolutely ridiculous, but there was a commercial flight that left San Antonio at about 6:30 this evening and it is scheduled to arrive in Phoenix before 8 p.m. MST.

I'm sure that Sarver, renowned for his open pockets, would have at least sent a private plane to bring in his new addition, right?

Gee thanks :lol

porscha
02-27-2008, 08:58 PM
why the 8? there is no news at 8 or sports center at 8pm

picnroll
02-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Overtime!!!!!

td4mvp21
02-27-2008, 08:59 PM
He'll probably delay it again and say noon Thursday.....then 8:00 Friday....then 4:00 Saturday....

porscha
02-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Overtime!!!!!
:lol :lol

timvp
02-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Frankly, if a decision is out by today, I'll be happy. Was better than I was hoping for.Barry was to first decide on Monday but said he needed until Tuesday. On Tuesday he said give him one more day. This morning he said he'd tell teams at 8.

Here we are. I don't know if he's going to push it back for a third time or the decision hasn't hit the media yet.

Or perhaps Barry is in PHX and it's not 8PM there yet .........

T Park
02-27-2008, 09:01 PM
Im gonna say that hes calling Phoenix and SA at this time, and then there will be an announcement later tonight.

FromWayDowntown
02-27-2008, 09:02 PM
Barry was to first decide on Monday but said he needed until Tuesday. On Tuesday he said give him one more day. This morning he said he'd tell teams at 8.

Here we are. I don't know if he's going to push it back for a third time or the decision hasn't hit the media yet.

To be fair, I thought that part of pushing things back to Tuesday had to do with the fact that he hadn't technically cleared waivers yet.

stxspurs

"Rock"
"Rock"

"Rock"
"Rock"

YES..awesome :clap

T Park
Barry was to first decide on Monday but said he needed until Tuesday. On Tuesday he said give him one more day. This morning he said he'd tell teams at 8.

If Phoenix was on his way to Phoenix, I think something would've leaked.

Like someone saying "I see Brent Barry on a phoenix Airplane, Im gonna call a friend"
Then the domino effect.

timvp
02-27-2008, 09:04 PM
To be fair, I thought that part of pushing things back to Tuesday had to do with the fact that he hadn't technically cleared waivers yet.Yeah that's what I thought at the time too but supposedly he was almost ready to pick a team ... and Monday was the day the Spurs upped their offer.

So who knows.

phyzik
02-27-2008, 09:04 PM

"Rock"
"Rock"

"Rock"
"Rock"

Actually reminded me more of those old DBZ cartoons I watched as a kid where they would do rock-paper-scissors to decide who gets to fight first.

FromWayDowntown
02-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Yeah that's what I thought at the time too but supposedly he was almost ready to pick a team ... and Monday was the day the Spurs upped their offer.

So who knows.

No, I understand those points. It just made some sense that he couldn't make an announcement on Monday on the off chance that some other club might actually claim him off waivers.

That would have made for an interesting couple of days, too.

Mister Sinister
02-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Actually reminded me more of those old DBZ cartoons I watched as a kid where they would do rock-paper-scissors to decide who gets to fight first.
Ahh, the Ginyu Force.

DAMN IT, I'm a nerd!

picnroll
02-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Barry to Decide by Start of Training Camp
AP Wire Service
Aug 28, 2008

Brent Barry, waived by he Seattle Supersonics last February, is said to be nearing a decision on which team he'll play for in the 2007 - 2008 NBA season. Barry, heavily pursued by a number of title contenders last winter, was unable to reach a decision in time for last springs playoffs. In a statement to the press Barry said he's leaning toward one of 28 teams but hasn't entirely ruled out the other 2.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Rick Barry wants Brent to go to Phoenix.

http://www.ktar.com/sports/?nid=21&sid=746776

stxspurs
02-27-2008, 09:07 PM
this is :donkey shit

phyzik
Ahh, the Ginyu Force.

DAMN IT, I'm a nerd!

your gonna hate me.. :lol

http://dagobah.biz/flash/Rock_Paper_Scissors.swf

I can just Picture Barry as Ginyu and the 4 member of the force being the 4 major teams in contention for Barry's services. :lol

T Park
Barry to Decide by Start of Training Camp
AP Wire Service
Aug 28, 2008

Brent Barry, waived by he Seattle Supersonics last February, is said to be nearing a decision on which team he'll play for in the 2007 - 2008 NBA season. Barry, heavily pursued by a number of title contenders last winter, was unable to reach a decision in time for last springs playoffs. In a statement to the press Barry said he's leaning toward one of 28 teams but hasn't entirely ruled out the other 2.

:lmao

Damnt I saw something there and thought it was the decision...

stxspurs
welcome to earth :smokin