PDA

View Full Version : Game 7 – What’s at Stake?

timvp
05-18-2008, 03:39 PM
Regular Season Effort Level
The Spurs have coasted through the last few regular seasons. They haven’t gone all out to secure homecourt advantage in years. However, that strategy might have to be looked at again if the Spurs end up losing Game 7.

Against the Hornets, the Spurs would be a shoo-in for the Western Conference Finals if they had homecourt advantage. If the Spurs saw firsthand how homecourt advantage can mean the difference between an early vacation and a shot at the championship, San Antonio may have to abandon their current regular season ways.

If you look at their recent history, you can’t really blame the Spurs for not caring about homecourt advantage. In 2006, 2004 and 2001, the Spurs had homecourt advantage and it ended up not being a factor. The Spurs didn’t have homecourt advantage in 2002 but the Spurs were better on the road in the playoffs that year. Homecourt advantage hasn’t really mattered since 1998 – and even that year the Spurs won in the first round despite starting the series on the road.

Old or Experienced?
The Spurs have tiptoed the line between old and experience for three or four years now. The front office has remained steadfast in their belief that the roster wasn’t too old. And as it turned out last year, the front office was correct.

But if the Spurs lose to the Hornets, it’d be very possible that the imaginary line would have been crossed. In 2004, the Spurs could point to .4 as the reason why they lost – not age. In 2006, the Spurs could point to the unfortunate whistle and poor matchup – not age. Against the Hornets, there would really be nothing blame it on. The Hornets have already blown out the Spurs five times this season. There would be nothing unlucky or flukish about dropping this series.

The Spurs’ only real recourse to a loss to the Hornets would be to reload. That’d mean waiving goodbye to the older pieces. Robert Horry, Bruce Bowen, Brent Barry, Kurt Thomas, Michael Finley and Jacque Vaughn would be the ones put under the microscope. If the Spurs win Game 7, the Spurs could ultimately decide to keep the squad together for another run next year.

Playoff Confidence
When the Spurs find themselves in tough spots in the playoffs, they can usually point to a prior experience as evidence that all hope isn’t lost. But the Spurs have never recovered from losing the first two games of the series. The Spurs have never recovered from being down 2-3 in a series.

If the Spurs can win this series, the Spurs would become just about as playoff tested as possible. No matter what trouble the Spurs would find themselves in the future, they’d have the experience and the knowledge to fight their way out of the hole.

On the other hand, if the Spurs lose, they’d have to start wondering about their playoff toughness. The Spurs would have lost two consecutive Game 7’s where they entered the series as the favorites. Instead of being confident in big games, the Spurs may begin to wonder why they’ve struggled against beatable teams in win or go home situations.

The Repeating Window
The lone remaining negative aspect the media can point to when discussing this era of Spurs basketball is the fact that the Spurs haven't won two straight titles. Truthfully, I don’t care too much about the criticism. To try to belittle the four championships the Spurs have won because they haven’t come in back-to-back years is laughable.

That said, if the Spurs don’t repeat as champions this year, the window to do so may be all but closed. Not only is the core getting older, there are a lot of young teams that are rapidly improving. While I do think the Spurs have three or four years of high level play remaining (barring injury), it’d be extremely difficult to imagine the team repeating at some point in the future.

Get this win.

Believe.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-18-2008, 03:42 PM
The Old/Experienced thing is what gets me the most.

ClingingMars
05-18-2008, 03:49 PM
i don't think we should get ride of Bruce yet.

other than that, great read.

- Mars

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-18-2008, 03:51 PM
That’d mean waiving goodbye to the older pieces. Robert Horry, Bruce Bowen, Brent Barry, Kurt Thomas, Michael Finley and Jacque Vaughn would be the ones put under the microscope.
Of those pieces, only Horry and Finley should be gotten rid of.
Maybe Vaughn if we find a surprise PG in the draft.
Kurt Thomas still has a lot to give us before he really starts declining, and I think if Brent can overcome his calf injury completely, he can go back to being the pre-injury 08 Brent Barry.

Solid D
05-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Good thoughts.
http://assets.espn.go.com/media/nba/2004/0320/photo/g_jackson_vi.jpg

Of course, if the Spurs had put a little more thought and effort into what was at stake in the summer of 2003, questions about age and repeats might not be mentioned as much today.

ducks
05-18-2008, 04:06 PM
it is still to early to get rid of bowen
the other ones yes but not bowen
let him teach the younger plays one more year

ATXSPUR
05-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Bowen another year. The rest can go.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Why would anyone want to get rid of Bowen?? He's what makes us, us. With him its like we're playing 5 vs 4 out there.

duncan228
05-18-2008, 04:19 PM
But the Spurs have never recovered from losing the first two games of the series.

This scares me and gives me hope at the same time.

I believe in this team, and I believe that they know what's at stake. This is the best shot at repeating they've had. Duncan wants it. I think he wants it more than he has in the past because he knows that window is closing. That may be the piece that gets them through this. The first 2 losses will serve them well. Duncan is taking nothing for granted. Game 7 falls on your best players to shine, letting your role players do their job. It's Duncan's time.

YoMamaIsCallin
05-18-2008, 04:21 PM
This is a particulary lame effort at a post.

First: there is no "repeat" pressure on the Spurs. They go out and try to win the title every year. It's only a statistical oddity that it's happened in the pattern it has.

Second: the Spurs are exactly correct in their approach to the regular season vs. the playoffs. And what is this "shoo-in if they had HCA" deal? If they had HCA it would probably still be 3-3 and going to a game 7 in San Antonio. That's hardly a shoo-in.

Third: You are talking as if the Spurs had already lost the series!

easjer
05-18-2008, 04:23 PM
You know, when you put it that way, I'm not seeing the downside to losing.

I think they are too old. If the line wasn't crossed this year, it was dangerously trod upon, and they should be looking to reload with younger talent regardless. Much love and thanks to Horry, Finley, Vaughn and Barry - but I'd not cry for a moment if three of those four didn't return. And in this case, younger doesn't need to mean early twenties. Late 20s and early 30s are younger for these Spurs.

They don't need to overextend their effort in the regular season and go balls out, but more effort would not be amiss, and hopefully they see that regardless. They should be good enough that HCA doesn't matter, and until this series, I argued they were. But winning just one or two more games would have made a tremendous difference in the context of this series, and should they be lucky enough to escape, the next. To let that go because Tim Duncan was bored with the regular season or because Pop wanted to mash things up for fun - that's quickly becoming inexcusable. The gap that was there a couple of years ago is GONE. They need to wake up to that fact.

All year they lost to teams they shouldn't have lost to and didn't hold their own against good teams. That needs to improve - they should have more pride, but pride aside - they get paid enough that they should make themselves care a little more. After all - the fans pay for those seats or for that LP all season long.

If some of this stuff changes as a result of losing the series - well, that's not a bad thing, in short. If winning this series means they think the status quo is ok -- well that spells larger problems for this organization and team, imo. I hope this stuff gets re-examined regardless.

The biggest problem for the Spurs has been mental mistakes and weakness. They expected things to be easier and forgot to hustle. They fell back on old gameplans that weren't working and refused to try until their backs were against the wall. They are the best team in the league when they play to their potential - if they play to their potential and lose, I can live with that. It sucks, but somedays they are going to be outplayed. But to lose as they've lost in this series- settling for bad shots, indecision, turnovers, conceding rebounds and lost balls, begging for calls. It's disgusting. That is not Spurs basketball. That needs to change.

I hope they draw on their experience and make it count now. I hope they have some pride and that it takes them through. I hope they beat the shit out of NO in their arena and make a statement that they are still here and still have to be dealt with.

I believe in the Spurs - they can get it if they want it.

jag
05-18-2008, 04:24 PM
The Old/Experienced thing is what gets me the most.

The Spurs are "experienced" when they win and "old" when they lose.

Duncan's age is what really gets me, he's been experienced for awhile now, but during these next few years he'll just be getting old.

jag
05-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Bowen another year. The rest can go.

Udoka?

J.T.
05-18-2008, 04:27 PM
The lack of aggressiveness by the FO in locking up Stephen Jackson is their one fatal flaw in recent years. We would have beaten the '04 Lakers and '06 Mavs with him. That's not to say we wouldn't have fallen in later rounds but seriously, think about it.

'04 would have been T'Wolves and then Pistons
'06 would have been PHOENIX and MIAMI

The 2006 elimination hurts the most because that was the Spurs best shot at repeating. Fucking Phoenix and Miami. :pctoss

At this point I would actually try to get him back, since it's obvious to everyone that the Warriors are a Phoenix Suns imitation and their roster is only good for things like eliminating the soft Dallas Mavericks in the first round. Please come home, SJax.

J.T.
05-18-2008, 04:35 PM
Duncan's age is what really gets me, he's been experienced for awhile now, but during these next few years he'll just be getting old.

I don't think there's any question in Duncan's toughness even though he's getting older. Duncan has been NAILS in the playoffs for his entire career. Any decline in his numbers isn't his age catching up to him, it's the rise of talented players around him.

Another thing about the '04 loss is that too many people cop out and blame it on Derek Fisher's miracle shot. The real culprit in the Spurs losing that series was The Hedo Experiment, which was the equivalent of having Michael Finley on a bad day for the entire series. It's should come as no surprise that the Spurs won two championships and came damn close to making it three in a row since dumping his ass, putting Manu in the starting line up, and getting a better wingman in Brent Barry to come off the bench.

And in '06 you could blame The Rasho and Nazr Experiment, otherwise known as Small Ball.

ATXSPUR
05-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Udoka?

I was referring to all the older players when I said "the rest".

nfg3
05-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Horry & Finley I can see going with Barry & Vaughn 50/50. We will get younger next year - Ian and Tiago - but not at the wing position which seems to be the critical one now. Draft/FA/trades seem unlikely to produce anyone to fit the 3 now. Draft: takes time to develop and our position wouldn't reallistically net a good 3 - FA: $$$ - is the FO going ot open the bank and to who?? - Trades: what do we really have to give up to get good quality talent?? The Big 3 are most likely untouchable and if you trade one of them aren't you essentially scrapping the team and starting over? Maybe and then again maybe not - it all depens on who we trade and get in return - which is a whole new thread for the off season.

I can't blame Pop for his management of the team this year. I thought he did an excellent job in watching their minutes as to not wear them down during the regular season. As for the HCA in the playoffs who could have predicted that it would be so critical? As of now - Celtics/Cavs game not over the record stands at 20-2 for the HC team. That is an unbelievable stat. A 91% winning % at home! I can't remember that happening and it sure doesn't occur on a regular basis or we would be seeing a lot more teams jockeying for HCA down the stretch of the regular season.

We do need more youth and now. How it plays out I'm not certain but something has to give on this. We can't continue ot stay the course or we will be a perenial lottery team in a few years. I don't see the FO or Pop allowing that to happen. They may choose other players not to many of our likings but they won't sit back and do little if anything.

As for the SJax situation - wasn't he wanting $9-10 M to sign with us? We didn't pursue that due to the lame courtship of JKidd but was he worth it at the time? He was a head case and dissing Pop with his immature behavior. Yeah, I know he is very talented but was also a very streaky player at that time. Damn even Hedo has matured into a consistent player in Orlando, But the dude signed for - what $18M - even after his meltdown in the '04 playoffs.

The Spurs - woulda/coulda/shoulda - at times it's a gamble. Win a few and lose a few.

YODA
05-18-2008, 04:50 PM
LETS see who is coming back for sure 1st.
The following 5 are under contract for at least 2 more years.
1. TD under contract till 2011/12
2. TP 2010/11
3. MANU 2009/2010
4. Bruce 2009/2010
5. MAtt 2009/2010

Of these 5, its obvious that the top 4 will be back. Matt Bonner will be used to entice a trade or he will be kept as insurance. His spot will be important.

the next group have contracts that go till next year.
6. Jacque Vaughn 2008/2009
7. Ime Iduka 2008/2009
8. IAN Mahinmi 2008/2009
9 Brent Barry 2008/2009

* all these 4 players have a contract of about 1 million for next year.
Of this group, Id say Ime and Mahinmi are sure ins. Jacque's status will be depend if spurs can get a young back up for TP. Brent will be real iffy, but think he will make one more run.

10. Splitter...ill assume we will sign him this summer.

players not under contract next year.

11. Kurt tomas
12. Robert Horry
13. Michael finley
14. Damon Staudamire
15. Fabricio Oberto

OF these 5, its easy to say goodbye to Horry and Damon. Kurt tomas is a good player, but his last year he made 8 million. I just dont know if he is worth it.
Finley nay have a year left in him. I still havent heard him say the word retire.I wonder what he would cost. I think we absolutly have to have Oberto signed. He has the IQ and expereince to help bring along our new bigs.

I think we need to do what the spurs have always done, which is to bring in veterans. Older vetrans are only usefull for 2-3 years and i think we have gotton all we can out of Finley, Barry, Horry, Jacque. We need to get some veterans who are 28-30 years old who know there role. This is how pop has done it for a long time. Its just this time around we have kept veterans a little longer then normal. Anyone else forget the few years we got out of kerse and willis amoung many others? I see us going out and doing it again with other veterans.

timmydidit
05-18-2008, 04:53 PM
we would be stupid to get rid of bruce bowen

nfg3
05-18-2008, 05:03 PM
I thought Oberto signed a 3 year deal at the beginning of last year giving him 2 more years under contract?

J.T.
05-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Well, with the BOS/CLE series in the books, I have to say that there is one silver lining that comes from Boston's win. The likelihood of TWO teams that trailed 0-2 coming back to win Game 7s on the road in the same round would have been a phenomenal feat in professional sports. The Spurs should take a good look at how the Celtics played and anticipate that level from the Hornets. If West isn't 100%, look for Chris Paul to have a lights out game like Pierce did today.

Fortunately for the Spurs, I think that if faced with the same situation as Cleveland was (down by one in the final minutes), that they would fare better. Just look at Game 1 of the Phoenix series this year. The only problem is that this game is on the road. The Spurs need that kind of intensity down the stretch to win this game. If they don't, Duncan will be fishing off of a pier in the Virgin Islands next weekend.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-18-2008, 05:51 PM
I thought Oberto signed a 3 year deal at the beginning of last year giving him 2 more years under contract?

Affirmative.

Bruno
05-18-2008, 06:01 PM
I don't care about what the media can say about Spurs. I don't care if Spurs are called or not a dynasty. What is important to me are the great moments I had watching Spurs basketball.

An NBA offseason is very long, we will have a lot of time to speak of what Spurs should do this summer to retool the team. I rather wait the end of the season to speak about what should be Spurs' plan than speculate now.

E20
05-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Everything is at stake for Game 7. If they fucking lose I'll commit suicide.

DAF86
05-18-2008, 06:09 PM
LETS see who is coming back for sure 1st.
The following 5 are under contract for at least 2 more years.
1. TD under contract till 2011/12
2. TP 2010/11
3. MANU 2009/2010
4. Bruce 2009/2010
5. MAtt 2009/2010

Of these 5, its obvious that the top 4 will be back. Matt Bonner will be used to entice a trade or he will be kept as insurance. His spot will be important.

the next group have contracts that go till next year.
6. Jacque Vaughn 2008/2009
7. Ime Iduka 2008/2009
8. IAN Mahinmi 2008/2009
9 Brent Barry 2008/2009

* all these 4 players have a contract of about 1 million for next year.
Of this group, Id say Ime and Mahinmi are sure ins. Jacque's status will be depend if spurs can get a young back up for TP. Brent will be real iffy, but think he will make one more run.

10. Splitter...ill assume we will sign him this summer.

players not under contract next year.

11. Kurt tomas
12. Robert Horry
13. Michael finley
14. Damon Staudamire
15. Fabricio Oberto

OF these 5, its easy to say goodbye to Horry and Damon. Kurt tomas is a good player, but his last year he made 8 million. I just dont know if he is worth it.
Finley nay have a year left in him. I still havent heard him say the word retire.I wonder what he would cost. I think we absolutly have to have Oberto signed. He has the IQ and expereince to help bring along our new bigs.

I think we need to do what the spurs have always done, which is to bring in veterans. Older vetrans are only usefull for 2-3 years and i think we have gotton all we can out of Finley, Barry, Horry, Jacque. We need to get some veterans who are 28-30 years old who know there role. This is how pop has done it for a long time. Its just this time around we have kept veterans a little longer then normal. Anyone else forget the few years we got out of kerse and willis amoung many others? I see us going out and doing it again with other veterans.

This is not the time for this.

urunobili
05-18-2008, 06:13 PM
i agree that winning on this series would make us ALL TYPE OF BATTLE strong... we can get this win!

ATXSPUR
05-18-2008, 06:18 PM
I don't care about what the media can say about Spurs. I don't care if Spurs are called or not a dynasty. What is important to me are the great moments I had watching Spurs basketball.

An NBA offseason is very long, we will have a lot of time to speak of what Spurs should do this summer to retool the team. I rather wait the end of the season to speak about what should be Spurs' plan than speculate now.

try being a college football fan :lol

nine freaking months :bang

Brutalis
05-18-2008, 06:18 PM
I have said this in other threads but knowing history against us, I also know this is the best team to ever come back in a series. We aren't the Hawks so nobody talks it up how we have fought back in this series. So it is no wonder we have the momentum.

Game 7's are odd and fun. For the real hardcore fans it puts us in a state of adrenalin the closer it gets. It comes down to just one game, like the super bowl or championship game in college.

I think fans do not realize to Timmy this is his defining moment in his career. He knows the stakes, the stats, the history, the ups, the downs, the ins and outs of professional ball as well as anyone. In the modern era too. I think he will go out there and just flat out ball. And I hope they follow.

SenorSpur
05-18-2008, 06:30 PM
The Spurs have coasted through the last few regular seasons. They haven’t gone all out to secure homecourt advantage in years. However, that strategy might have to be looked at again if the Spurs end up losing Game 7.

Against the Hornets, the Spurs would be a shoo-in for the Western Conference Finals if they had homecourt advantage. If the Spurs saw firsthand how homecourt advantage can mean the difference between an early vacation and a shot at the championship, San Antonio may have to abandon their current regular season ways.

Interesting take and a topic that is bound for discussion if they lose this critical Game 7.

Old or Experienced?
The Spurs have tiptoed the line between old and experience for three or four years now. The front office has remained steadfast in their belief that the roster wasn’t too old. And as it turned out last year, the front office was correct.

I respectfully disagree on this point. Obviously, winning the title is THE ultimate goal and is the prize all teams play for. That point notwithstanding, winning a title DOES NOT mean the team was flawless. Nor does it mean the roster couldn't have used an upgrade here and there. Furthermore, winning a title SHOULD NOT give the FO a pass for not seeking to improve the team. They took small steps in that direction, but made some decisions that would have likely not been made had they not won the championship. I also don't believe winning a championship warranted a decision sit still and keep an aging roster together for another season.

By no means am I suggesting a major overhaul, just infusing enough upgrades to fill holes. We need only look at the diminished defensive statistics, the periods of prolonged offensive woes and how the team incurred its share of injuries during the season, as first signs of trouble encountered with an aging roster. These defciencies began to show as the team wore through the season.

I've stated this before. It's all about matchups. You can only play the teams that are in front of you. However, that doesn't mean that the team was capable of matching up with all 8 teams that made the playoffs. The upstart teams started making noise last season. Now there are new teams on the rise. Every year, teams are getting better and closing the gap on the champs. To that end, it's imperative not sit still. They absolutely MUST continue looking at ways to improve the team each and every year - championship or not.

The Spurs’ only real recourse to a loss to the Hornets would be to reload. That’d mean waiving goodbye to the older pieces. Robert Horry, Bruce Bowen, Brent Barry, Kurt Thomas, Michael Finley and Jacque Vaughn would be the ones put under the microscope. If the Spurs win Game 7, the Spurs could ultimately decide to keep the squad together for another run next year..

I'm all for that. It's time. Whether they win or not. Obviously, some key veterans (Bowen, Thomas and possibly Barry) will be needed again next year. Yet, let's be mindful that the contending teams in the conference are getting more skilled and more athletic every year. The Spurs need to be in a position to match some of the quickness, hustle and athleticism they are seeing on a game-to-game basis. This series against New Orleans should bear this out.

Playoff Confidence
When the Spurs find themselves in tough spots in the playoffs, they can usually point to a prior experience as evidence that all hope isn’t lost. But the Spurs have never recovered from losing the first two games of the series. The Spurs have never recovered from being down 2-3 in a series.

If the Spurs can win this series, the Spurs would become just about as playoff tested as possible. No matter what trouble the Spurs would find themselves in the future, they’d have the experience and the knowledge to fight their way out of the hole.

On the other hand, if the Spurs lose, they’d have to start wondering about their playoff toughness. The Spurs would have lost two consecutive Game 7’s where they entered the series as the favorites. Instead of being confident in big games, the Spurs may begin to wonder why they’ve struggled against beatable teams in win or go home situations.

The Repeating Window
The lone remaining negative aspect the media can point to when discussing this era of Spurs basketball is the fact that the Spurs haven't won two straight titles. Truthfully, I don’t care too much about the criticism. To try to belittle the four championships the Spurs have won because they haven’t come in back-to-back years is laughable.

That said, if the Spurs don’t repeat as champions this year, the window to do so may be all but closed. Not only is the core getting older, there are a lot of young teams that are rapidly improving. While I do think the Spurs have three or four years of high level play remaining (barring injury), it’d be extremely difficult to imagine the team repeating at some point in the future.

Totally agree with this point.

A very well-written piece.

polandprzem
05-18-2008, 06:36 PM
No matter what will happen in next 27 hours I think the spurs FO would be bit dumb not to refresh the squad.
All in all basketball in changing and youngsters takes conrol earlier then it was 10-20 yeras ago.

On the Stake there is the whole Spurs legacy.
Talking about repeat and talking about teams era, talking about TD being better then Shaq, talking about Pop being top5, talking about toughness, toughness in the playoffs.

Whatever it takes spurs must take now.
And I'm talking about all he marbels to shut the F up all the critics.

duncan228
05-18-2008, 06:48 PM
I think he will go out there and just flat out ball. And I hope they follow.

It's Duncan's time, his team will rise. :)

baseline bum
05-18-2008, 07:02 PM
Good thoughts.
http://assets.espn.go.com/media/nba/2004/0320/photo/g_jackson_vi.jpg

Of course, if the Spurs had put a little more thought and effort into what was at stake in the summer of 2003, questions about age and repeats might not be mentioned as much today.

:cuss

Jax means repeat in 2006!

1Parker1
05-18-2008, 07:12 PM
If the Spurs win Game 7, the Spurs could ultimately decide to keep the squad together for another run next year.

I definitely disagree with this statement. Guys like Finley, Vaughn, Barry, Horry, Kurt Thomas have been exposed in this series against the Hornets. Win or lose, I really don't think the Spurs mgt will decide to keep this squad for another run next year. It's pretty evident that these players are over the "Age" hump, and you can't expect them to go through another 82 game season and long into the postseason at their age, especially when next season the Western Conference is just going to get more younger and athletic with teams like the Hornets, Blazers, Lakers rising.

Even if the Spurs somehow manage to win Game 7, which I give them a 50-50 chance of doing, I'm not sure this team can beat a deep team like the Lakers or even the Pistons/Celtics. Championships are not won by 3 players and a defensive stopper. Teams that are left are too deep, too atheltic, and too young. It's obvious Spurs need to revamp their roster around their Big 3, because right now there is way too much pressure on those guys to contribute just to get wins in the regular season; You saw how many minutes and the effort Ginobili had to give in those games when Parker was out with an injury just to beat teams like the Knicks. It takes a toll on your top players, no matter how good they are. I don't care who outside of Bowen, Parker, Duncan, and Ginobili leave this team.

I do agree that this was probably the best chance for the Spurs to repeat.

spurster
05-18-2008, 07:17 PM

I think you look more at 4 losses in New Orleans. No championship team should be blanked out on the road though the Celtics seem to be making a run at it.

Old or Experienced?

I think this is more to the point. With Horry and Barry injured much of the year and not really playoff ready, the Spurs weren't able to be consistent. In the playoffs, the Spurs have been leaning on Finley and Udoka with mixed results, and Horry and Barry haven't been able to help much.

Ronaldo McDonald
05-18-2008, 07:19 PM

If you look at their recent history, you can’t really blame the Spurs for not caring about homecourt advantage. In 2006, 2004 and 2001, the Spurs had homecourt advantage and it ended up not being a factor. The Spurs didn’t have homecourt advantage in 2002 but the Spurs were better on the road in the playoffs that year. Homecourt advantage hasn’t really mattered since 1998 – and even that year the Spurs won in the first round despite starting the series on the road.

Old or Experienced?

But if the Spurs lose to the Hornets, it’d be very possible that the imaginary line would have been crossed. In 2004, the Spurs could point to .4 as the reason why they lost – not age. In 2006, the Spurs could point to the unfortunate whistle and poor matchup – not age. Against the Hornets, there would really be nothing blame it on. The Hornets have already blown out the Spurs five times this season. There would be nothing unlucky or flukish about dropping this series.

The Spurs’ only real recourse to a loss to the Hornets would be to reload. That’d mean waiving goodbye to the older pieces. Robert Horry, Bruce Bowen, Brent Barry, Kurt Thomas, Michael Finley and Jacque Vaughn would be the ones put under the microscope. If the Spurs win Game 7, the Spurs could ultimately decide to keep the squad together for another run next year.

Playoff Confidence

The Repeating Window

Get this win.

Believe.

I disagree with that. If our front offfice can do what they've been doing over the last 10 or so years, which is draft amazingly and sign talent for cheap then we'll be in perfect shape and be right there competing for a ring like we always are.

We're due for another Stephen Jackson, Ginobili, or Parker type of player that takes us all by surprise by becoming a key player on our team.

GrandeDavid
05-18-2008, 07:35 PM
Just win the fuggin game tomorrow, sons.

Trainwreck2100
05-18-2008, 07:41 PM
Don't play like a damn CYO team for 12 minutes, play the entire game

SenorSpur
05-18-2008, 07:54 PM
The lack of aggressiveness by the FO in locking up Stephen Jackson is their one fatal flaw in recent years. We would have beaten the '04 Lakers and '06 Mavs with him. That's not to say we wouldn't have fallen in later rounds but seriously, think about it.

'04 would have been T'Wolves and then Pistons
'06 would have been PHOENIX and MIAMI

The 2006 elimination hurts the most because that was the Spurs best shot at repeating. Fucking Phoenix and Miami. :pctoss

At this point I would actually try to get him back, since it's obvious to everyone that the Warriors are a Phoenix Suns imitation and their roster is only good for things like eliminating the soft Dallas Mavericks in the first round. Please come home, SJax.

Couldn't agree more. This was, by far, the FO most ill-advised decision. This guy was an absolute killer and gave the offense the needed jolt when it bogged down. Not to mention, he was a good defender. Wanna know why it was so costly? Because they've not been able to replace him since he left town. Sure they've tried, but those brought in after him didn't have the mentality, ability or skill.

The FO's second costly was passing on Josh Howard. Had they drafted him, it would've stopped some of the bleeding from the SJax departure.

easjer
05-18-2008, 08:16 PM
I completely disagree with the SJax love. He was streaky with an attitude and he wanted more money than he was worth at that time. Additionally, should SJax have remained, I am not convinced that Manu would have developed into the player he is now. I will never forget SJax's attitude during the 2003 playoffs, throwing towels and cursing and sulking when he was pulled in favor of Manu after a couple of bad offensive streaks.

That is besides the point though. Regardless of whatever else happens tomorrow night - whether we are celebrating or not - the worst of the Spurs have been exposed by this season. There are problems and they need to be addressed. They gambled this year that experience would carry them through and to some degree it did - but it's not going to be enough. Even if they miraculously win, swept the Lakers and then dominated on whoever comes from the East - there are problems that have been exposed which MUST be addressed this offseason.

DDS4
05-18-2008, 08:16 PM
Two things the Spurs haven't accomplished yet but can this year, and probably this year only.

1) Win a series when down 0-2. The Spurs have always been a good front running team when ahead, not so good when behind.

2) Repeat championship.

foodie2
05-18-2008, 09:33 PM
Get rid of Bruce Bowen??? Are you CRAZY???

RuffnReadyOzStyle
05-18-2008, 09:46 PM
I Think the Big 3 still have a 3 year window playing at a high level together, so we have to rebuild on the fly while keeping the team competitive. You can't just dump 8 players and expect the team to be any good, so it's a matter of bringing in 4-5 young players while retaining a core (TD/TP/Manu/Bruce/KT/Oberto/JV/Barry/Ime) who can win 50 games by themselves.

For next year, let Fin, Rob and Damon go.

We have KT's Bird rights and thus can go over the cap to sign him - do so for 3-5 mil for 2-3 years. He's been great even though he's new to the system and we need a tough big. I can see him resigning here because he obviously fits in and wants to win.

Bring in Mahinmi and Splitter (hopefully - if he signs in Europe again he's a moron).

Use MLE/draft to bring in two young swingmen and a PG. James Jones would be a great start.

braeden0613
05-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Everything is at stake for Game 7. If they fucking lose I'll commit suicide.
amen...ill be there too...life sucks for weeks after the spurs lose in the playoffs

weebo
05-18-2008, 10:37 PM
You know, when you put it that way, I'm not seeing the downside to losing.

I think they are too old. If the line wasn't crossed this year, it was dangerously trod upon, and they should be looking to reload with younger talent regardless. Much love and thanks to Horry, Finley, Vaughn and Barry - but I'd not cry for a moment if three of those four didn't return. And in this case, younger doesn't need to mean early twenties. Late 20s and early 30s are younger for these Spurs.

They don't need to overextend their effort in the regular season and go balls out, but more effort would not be amiss, and hopefully they see that regardless. They should be good enough that HCA doesn't matter, and until this series, I argued they were. But winning just one or two more games would have made a tremendous difference in the context of this series, and should they be lucky enough to escape, the next. To let that go because Tim Duncan was bored with the regular season or because Pop wanted to mash things up for fun - that's quickly becoming inexcusable. The gap that was there a couple of years ago is GONE. They need to wake up to that fact.

All year they lost to teams they shouldn't have lost to and didn't hold their own against good teams. That needs to improve - they should have more pride, but pride aside - they get paid enough that they should make themselves care a little more. After all - the fans pay for those seats or for that LP all season long.

If some of this stuff changes as a result of losing the series - well, that's not a bad thing, in short. If winning this series means they think the status quo is ok -- well that spells larger problems for this organization and team, imo. I hope this stuff gets re-examined regardless.

The biggest problem for the Spurs has been mental mistakes and weakness. They expected things to be easier and forgot to hustle. They fell back on old gameplans that weren't working and refused to try until their backs were against the wall. They are the best team in the league when they play to their potential - if they play to their potential and lose, I can live with that. It sucks, but somedays they are going to be outplayed. But to lose as they've lost in this series- settling for bad shots, indecision, turnovers, conceding rebounds and lost balls, begging for calls. It's disgusting. That is not Spurs basketball. That needs to change.

I hope they draw on their experience and make it count now. I hope they have some pride and that it takes them through. I hope they beat the shit out of NO in their arena and make a statement that they are still here and still have to be dealt with.

I believe in the Spurs - they can get it if they want it.

Great post!

SPARKY
05-18-2008, 10:48 PM
The Spurs wanted Jack to take the Bowen plan but he was too young and too talented to do so. He and/or his agent was correct and it paid off for him.

It's hard to argue with having an aged/experienced supporting cast here 4 championships after the fact. I remember back in '03 thinking that Horry had maybe 2 seasons left in him. The assumption that youth is preferable flies in the face of the four trophies which grace the Southwestern Bel...er, at&t Center's entrance.

Though where youth becomes an issue is in the missed opportunities to groom youth into experienced role players because youth was lost due to monetary concerns. But that's the way it is.

I believe things are largely set for the Spurs over the next two seasons. The team will continue in its same basic form through the 2009-10 season. Relatively minor changes may rest on the outcome of the game tomorrow night. Do the Spurs re-sign Thomas this summer? Do the Spurs move a small contract? Do they go domestic instead of foreign with June's 1st round pick?

If they do read the league as becoming more "athletic" then we might see Mahinmi cracking the rotation at the start of next season.

What's at stake tomorrow night, of course, is another step towards bringing home a 5th championship.

timvp
05-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Robert Horry, Bruce Bowen, Brent Barry, Kurt Thomas, Michael Finley and Jacque Vaughn would be the ones put under the microscope.I'm not sure how people interpreted this sentence to mean that I want the team to get rid of Bruce Bowen. Of course you bring Bowen back. However, if the Spurs lose, you have to take a look at him and see if it's time to cut back his minutes a little bit or to let him just keep playing at his current workload.

ClingingMars
05-18-2008, 11:10 PM
I'm not sure how people interpreted this sentence to mean that I want the team to get rid of Bruce Bowen. Of course you bring Bowen back. However, if the Spurs lose, you have to take a look at him and see if it's time to cut back his minutes a little bit or to let him just keep playing at his current workload.

as long as he keeps his fitness level at where it currently is, i don't think his minutes should be reduced at all, unless we're facing a team without a outstanding perimeter player.

- Mars

timvp
05-18-2008, 11:16 PM
First: there is no "repeat" pressure on the Spurs. They go out and try to win the title every year. It's only a statistical oddity that it's happened in the pattern it has.Did I say there was repeat pressure? Did I even say that the Spurs care one way or another?

Second: the Spurs are exactly correct in their approach to the regular season vs. the playoffs. And what is this "shoo-in if they had HCA" deal? If they had HCA it would probably still be 3-3 and going to a game 7 in San Antonio. That's hardly a shoo-in.Uh, yeah that'd be an easy win for the Spurs. Have you watched the three home games in this series?

Third: You are talking as if the Spurs had already lost the series!I gave both sides in all four scenarios. Read it again to comprehend or scroll.

Thanks.

LakerLanny
05-18-2008, 11:17 PM
What's at stake?

A beatdown by the Lakers to the winner! :lol

timvp
05-18-2008, 11:52 PM
You know, when you put it that way, I'm not seeing the downside to losing.I'll have to disagree with this.

While I'm all for getting younger, I just don't see the players in this year's free agent crop that will make that possible. Most notably, it'd be extremely hard to rebuild the swingman rotation via free agency -- or even through the draft. The next two summers are better in terms of being able to reload. So if the Spurs lose this year, they'll either have a lame duck year where they are forced to bring back old vets or will have to roll the dice on a few players who are only partial fits.

And while it'd be nice if the Spurs tried harder during the regular season, I think it'd be a major advantage for them if they could continue in their coast mode. We've already seen some wear and tear this year because the Spurs actually had to try harder this year in the regular season than the previous few seasons. The Big Three aging combined with more emphasis placed on the regular season sounds like a bad combination.

Game 7 tomorrow is a fork in the road. If the Spurs win, they can probably feel pretty good about themselves no matter how the seasons ends and head into '08-09 with minor tweaks. If they lose, there may be a sense that major tweaks are necessary -- however major tweaks this summer will be difficult.

The plan heading into the playoffs was to keep this team somewhat intact until the summer of 2010 and then rebuild it. Obviously some players would have to be replaced between now and 2010 no matter what happened in the playoffs (*cough* Horry & Finley *cough*) but to accelerate the 2010 plan would be tricky and might end up doing more bad than good.

Just get this damn win, basically.

T Park
05-19-2008, 12:19 AM
Yeah one of the best swingmen available is James Jones..

Seriously.

They could try to draft a swingman, but, we see how that works out.

Princess Pimp
05-19-2008, 12:57 AM
Home court advantage matters bitch and you can see it now!

pawe
05-19-2008, 01:01 AM
What's the advantage on having home court? tennis players, golfers and bowlers all play on the road...yeah it's a different sport but still. same basketball court, same ball, same basket size.

Princess Pimp
05-19-2008, 01:04 AM
What's the advantage on having home court? tennis players, golfers and bowlers all play on the road...yeah it's a different sport but still. same basketball court, same ball, same basket size. refs calling less fouls on the home team more on the road team...Simple as that.

pawe
05-19-2008, 01:25 AM
Wrong. Refs are still professionals doing their jobs. they make mistakes and the crowd will always let them know they made one but the home crowd will not affect them in their game calling. Ok, some will tell me watch the game more often and look at stat sheets on foul calls but i think it will still depend on the players. If they get aggressive, trust their system, make in game adjustments and play their hearts out, they have a very good chance in winning the game.

KillerBee
05-19-2008, 02:06 AM
i don't think we should get ride of Bruce yet.

other than that, great read.

- Mars

Yeah, great read. Y'all are old and concede to the Hornet's. Awesome read!

Bye the way Mars, you are an idiot. You and 'Chump dump' are the guys that make a teams fans base look bad. While most guys on here have been fun and poking back and forth. You and dump are the guys acting like the Hornets are Fucking your Mom after your dad dies. Sooner or later its just going to happen dude. Get over it!
I'll pick you up at the airport with Dump BITCH.

Princess Pimp
05-19-2008, 02:08 AM
Wrong. Refs are still professionals doing their jobs. they make mistakes and the crowd will always let them know they made one but the home crowd will not affect them in their game calling. Ok, some will tell me watch the game more often and look at stat sheets on foul calls but i think it will still depend on the players. If they get aggressive, trust their system, make in game adjustments and play their hearts out, they have a very good chance in winning the game. Bullshiiit!

Have you heard of Home cooking?

pawe
05-19-2008, 02:13 AM
Yeah, great read. Y'all are old and concede to the Hornet's. Awesome read!

Bye the way Mars, you are an idiot. You and 'Chump dump' are the guys that make a teams fans base look bad. While most guys on here have been fun and poking back and forth. You and dump are the guys acting like the Hornets are Fucking your Mom after your dad dies. Sooner or later its just going to happen dude. Get over it!
I'll pick you up at the airport with Dump BITCH.

Go and change your urine soaked bedsheet first before you talk shit with anyone here at ST.

KillerBee
05-19-2008, 02:21 AM
Go and change your urine soaked bedsheet first before you talk shit with anyone here at ST.

I would pussy, but your mom's sleeping.

KillerBee
05-19-2008, 02:23 AM
I would pussy, but your mom's sleeping.

I'm sorry, don't usually pat my own back, but what a setup. Thanks dude.

J.T.
05-19-2008, 02:28 AM
I completely disagree with the SJax love. He was streaky with an attitude and he wanted more money than he was worth at that time. Additionally, should SJax have remained, I am not convinced that Manu would have developed into the player he is now. I will never forget SJax's attitude during the 2003 playoffs, throwing towels and cursing and sulking when he was pulled in favor of Manu after a couple of bad offensive streaks.

I guess you have a point there. If it was between Manu and SJax, I would have taken Manu too. But I don't think there is any denying that we would have beat LA and Dallas in those years with him. In the LA series we lacked shooters when they packed the lane on Tony. Against Dallas he would have been an asset for the small ball lineup. I'm still all for pursuing him whenever he is a FA.

raspsa
05-19-2008, 02:36 AM
We have KT's Bird rights and thus can go over the cap to sign him - do so for 3-5 mil for 2-3 years. He's been great even though he's new to the system and we need a tough big. I can see him resigning here because he obviously fits in and wants to win.

I have a feeling KT will be moving on next year, ring or no ring. He may be asking more money than the Spurs will be willing to pay and there are teams out there interested in his services. I like him a lot but not at his current rate.

pawe
05-19-2008, 02:39 AM
I would pussy, but your dad's sleeping.

fixed

(my mom passed away 10 months ago)