My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup, was reading it looks unlikely they'll strike down the whole law, but we'll see.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup, was reading it looks unlikely they'll strike down the whole law, but we'll see.
    What's stopping them from striking down the entire thing? Dems have a very narrow shot at winning the Senate with the runoffs coming up. And Mitch knows Biden's too much of centrist to pack the courts. I don't see what's stopping them from removing it all together. It would give Trump one last win on his way out too after installing three judges during his short 4 years in office. Makes Obama's 8 years look like he accomplished nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's stopping them from striking down the entire thing? Dems have a very narrow shot at winning the Senate with the runoffs coming up. And Mitch knows Biden's too much of centrist to pack the courts. I don't see what's stopping them from removing it all together. It would give Trump one last win on his way out too after installing three judges during his short 4 years in office. Makes Obama's 8 years look like he accomplished nothing.
    There's no legal reason per-se that would prevent them from striking it down, however, at least from the legal analysis I've read, it's unlikely to happen because the case itself is fairly weak, and striking it down would go against the "severability" legal doctrine that has been preferred by the SCOTUS and has been the precedent for many years.
    Justice Kavanaugh himself wrote an opinion recently upholding the same doctrine, and thus the indication is that he would join Roberts and the more liberal Justices keeping the law fairly intact.

Obviously, "unlikely" is not "impossible" and we'll know once they rule.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no legal reason per-se that would prevent them from striking it down, however, at least from the legal analysis I've read, it's unlikely to happen because the case itself is fairly weak, and striking it down would go against the "severability" legal doctrine that has been preferred by the SCOTUS and has been the precedent for many years.
    Justice Kavanaugh himself wrote an opinion recently upholding the same doctrine, and thus the indication is that he would join Roberts and the more liberal Justices keeping the law fairly intact.

Obviously, "unlikely" is not "impossible" and we'll know once they rule.
    Thanks for the info. I just assumed with the supreme court majority shifting so heavily in their favor they would do away with it just before Biden takes office to ramp up the instability. What you said seems more reasonable.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Not only that, but Joe Manchin won't vote to pack courts or any other crazy stuff like ending filibuster. So the Republicans will likely take senate, but even if they don't, you wont see major movement for 2 years at least.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Lol, looks like SCOTUS will not strike down Obamacare. Yet another L for Trump and the maga s

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, another win for the DEMS and with a Conservative Super-majority Supreme Court, no less....

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, staré decisis, and 2012 did happen, also Roberts is still there. Could strike down part of it but not the pre-existing part tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, looks like SCOTUS will not strike down Obamacare. Yet another L for Trump and the maga s
    Not at all.. Like Will Hunting said, the GOP is wise to keep Obamacare away from the SCOTUS until they can win the two Georgia precious senate seats. Otherwise voters in GA might hold that against them.

Of course, since that doesn't occur until January, that guarantees another full year of Obamacare in 2021, since they can't just strike year-by-year policies down in the middle of a benefit year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First day didn't go great for the trump s.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Not at all.. Like Will Hunting said, the GOP is wise to keep Obamacare away from the SCOTUS until they can win the two Georgia precious senate seats. Otherwise voters in GA might hold that against them.

Of course, since that doesn't occur until January, that guarantees another full year of Obamacare in 2021, since they can't just strike year-by-year policies down in the middle of a benefit year.
    They aren’t issuing a ruling until June but the oral argument didn’t go well for the MAGA s. Roberts and Kavanaugh both made their position pretty clear, especially Kavanaugh. Even Gorsuch/Barrett seemed skeptical about being asked to gut Obamacare at times.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They aren’t issuing a ruling until June but the oral argument didn’t go well for the MAGA s. Roberts and Kavanaugh both made their position pretty clear, especially Kavanaugh. Even Gorsuch/Barrett seemed skeptical about being asked to gut Obamacare at times.
    Staré Decisis 101

2012 was a few short years ago... not a generation ago.

ACA plans will stand. They might change some terms of it like not forcing people to retroactively pay back money on their taxes if their income exceeded their expected value (due to getting an unexpectedly high paying job, say, in the springtime of the plan year); that would be nice.

Thread Information