Page 6 of 303 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    your railing about "alarmists" and "doomsdayers" is the same lingo you see from climate change skeptics. do random internet posters like hater blow things out of proportion all the time? sure. and if you're just trying to act as a balance to the "hater"s of the internet, fine.

but even among the spectrum of projections/figures that the experts are putting out, you invariably lean to one end of it
    No, I have little patience for the misusing or understatement of facts. You'll see a lot of reports in the coming days about how the US now leads the world in total cases. OMG!!!!!! We're the most infected in the world now! It seems people have forgotten what per capita is or increased testing rate is. You see a lot of "we're likely to become the next Italy." But no mention of Italy's population being one of the oldest in the world, their 10x higher death rate from respiratory illnesses vs. the US, the differing cultural behaviors that can perhaps exacerbate spread, the Lombardy region being terribly polluted, etc, etc.

I have not downplayed. I think social distance and non-essential business closures are the right move. But yes, I lean far, far away from the 3 million dead scenarios. My projection is that this is going to hammer us like the nastiest flu season we've had in decades, and that is something to be HIGHLY concerned about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "more deadly" was probably the incorrect term. i'm not very educated as to the complications of stress vs covid (or how one would actually measure "cases" or "mortality rates" of the specific brand of stress caused by news reporting of covid), but comparing stress from news coverage to a global pandemic for which one of our cities is now the epicenter seems really off to me

i dont think media-caused stress is going to be crippling our healthcare system in the same way we are already seeing covid start to do here
    This is exactly WHY it's prudent not to throw more fuel on that fire. Do you think adding even 1 percent more heart attacks and overdoses on top of what is going is a wise move? You act like coverage of this has to be one way or the other, alarmist or stupidly optimistic.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Hmm. On thought, that seems fair. Ignore is ignore.

Thanks.
    ha, ha.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is exactly WHY it's prudent not to throw more fuel on that fire. Do you think adding even 1 percent more heart attacks and overdoses on top of what is going is a wise move? You act like coverage of this has to be one way or the other, alarmist or stupidly optimistic.
    So the media is supposed to withhold mortality and caseload statistics?

Not cover factually veracious human suffering?

In the next month or two, will it be alarmism for the media to provide coverage of American mass graves?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MP to MSM: TONE IT DOWN, YOU'RE KILLING US WITH THE BAD NEWS ABOUT A DEADLY PANDEMIC!

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Update (27 March 2020---4AM):::

Corona dead: 1100
    Regular Flu dead: 23+k
    Spanish Flu dead: 275k
    Obama's H1N1 Flu dead: 12.5k

Let us proceed...
    Update (28 March 2020---8AM):::

Corona dead: 1590

Let us proceed...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Update (28 March 2020---8AM):::

Corona dead: 1590

Let us proceed...
    ...to the graveyard

If gaps in health care resources aren’t filled, more than 80,000 Americans will die over the next four months due to the coronavirus pandemic, epidemiologists at the University of Washington predict.

The grim forecast — based on an analysis of statistics from the World Health Organization, as well as from national and local governments and hospitals — is laid out today in a research paper that’s being submitted to the MedRxiv preprint server but hasn’t yet been peer-reviewed.

Researchers at the UW’s Ins ute for Health Metrics and Evaluation say their forecast takes current policies on social distancing into account. The problem is that shortages of hospital beds and medical supplies are projected to boost the death toll nevertheless.
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/univ-...223530567.html

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    ...to the graveyard
    We'll have to have some solid rebate on (traffic deaths) Winester. Sure, they won't permit those ciphers to see the light of day, but, it stands to reason.
    + the murder count will slack off a portion. Sure, they won't permit those ciphers to see the light of day, but, it stands to reason.
    Uh, oh, minus the increase in the suicide rate. Sure, they never permit those ciphers to see the light of day, but, it stands to reason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We'll have to have some solid rebate on (traffic deaths) Winester. Sure, they won't permit those ciphers to see the light of day, but, it stands to reason.
    + the murder count will slack off a portion. Sure, they won't permit those ciphers to see the light of day, but, it stands to reason.
    Uh, oh, minus the increase in the suicide rate. Sure, they never permit those ciphers to see the light of day, but, it stands to reason.
    who is the they you keep referring to.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    who is the they you keep referring to.
    [[["They"? Why, they is the plain and fancy they, that's who "they" is! Caught you, didn't they? Tied a tin can to your tail. Led you in and waltzed you out again. Oh my, what a bunch! Big tough ones, hunh? Here you are with a handful of holes, a thumb up your ass, and a big grin to pass the time of day with. They? Who the is "they?"]]]

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [[["They"? Why, they is the plain and fancy they, that's who "they" is! Caught you, didn't they? Tied a tin can to your tail. Led you in and waltzed you out again. Oh my, what a bunch! Big tough ones, hunh? Here you are with a handful of holes, a thumb up your ass, and a big grin to pass the time of day with. They? Who the is "they?"]]]
    The Wild Bunch

Extreme historical limit of the old timey Western, about 1910.

One of my ATFs.

Pike: He gave his word.
    Dutch: He gave his word to a railroad.
    Pike: It's his word.
    Dutch: That ain't what counts! It's who you give it *to*!

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Have to admit I enjoy what this is doing to the Sports World & sports talk shows in general.
    They ain't so in' high & mighty now, by God! Dancing on the edge of hating Trump & wanting it back like it was FOR THEM!

"You have to err on the side of caution, but, where is that line? I'm not saying MLB should be activated, but, I'm not saying they shouldn't be. This is awful, but, yet I think it's a good thing in the long run. & I know I've said thru the years that players can't get into game shape for at least 6 weeks, but, I was wrong. Players in all sports can get ready in 2 weeks! Perhaps even 1 week. Yes, 1 week! If we have to, yes, we should start it up and play in empty stadiums. It'd be okay."

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    The Wild Bunch

Extreme historical limit of the old timey Western, about 1910.

One of my ATFs.
    Yep.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MP to MSM: TONE IT DOWN, YOU'RE KILLING US WITH THE BAD NEWS ABOUT A DEADLY PANDEMIC!
    So half-facts are "good now?"

Here's the thing, factors like insomnia, stress, and the like PROVABLY lower the efficacy of your immune system. Do you think it's wise to exacerbate that with sensationalist reporting?

And if you think I'm underplaying, I just saw your post from the Washington study (80K over the next 4-6 months). That's a more realistic forecast (as opposed to millions dead from the initial Imperial study that was working off the Wuhan data). I've said this will hit us like the nastiest flu season in decades. And no, comparing this to the flu isn't trivializing. The flu is a nasty mother er, which means we can't handle ANOTHER nasty mother er on top of it (bean counting healthcare executives basically run things to max capacity to save on costs). A nasty flu killed 70K Americans in 1958. The population was half the size, so it's more like 140,000 relative to today. The Washington study tracks with that count.

That's very, very worrisome. So stay inside, social distance, wash your hands.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^^Ranting and strawmanning now

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Midst, bless his heart likes to play both sides.

& it's a grand heart.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in 10 days you are going to be at 1k/day, escalating, with no end in sight.
    How you feeling, Dale? This was only 4 days ago, and you're already at 400/day

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rant: speak or shout at length in a wild, impassioned way.

Yeah, don' think that's what I'm doing.

You are the one strawmanning, twisting my desire for reasoned media reporting into me wanting them to "withhold statistics." Never even implied that.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I'm okay. If it starts to go berserk, to 800+ per day I'm ed, because then it's haywire & won't stop. I need to get to Monday at 700, no more. Then I'll hang on for dear life for 48 hours.

Problem is every time Trump approaches a microphone they goose the # on the TV screen & I scream.

"What's goin' on in there, Dale?"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll paypal you a 100.00. We're likely to reach 450 Monday per the bet. Even if "I win" somehow, doesn't matter. More money for charity. You going with Chapman's?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm okay. If it starts to go berserk, to 800+ per day I'm ed, because then it's haywire & won't stop. I need to get to Monday at 700, no more. Then I'll hang on for dear life for 48 hours.

Problem is every time Trump approaches a microphone they goose the # on the TV screen & I scream.

"What's goin' on in there, Dale?"
    Yeah, looks like my 1k/day by 3 April was optimistic.

My AI/ML model is now predicting you are ed.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Yeah, looks like my 1k/day by 3 April was optimistic.

My AI/ML model is now predicting you are ed.
    April 2nd, daddy-O.

Don't even start.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll paypal you a 100.00. We're likely to reach 450 Monday per the bet. Even if "I win" somehow, doesn't matter. More money for charity. You going with Chapman's?
    We will probably hit 450 today.

Rather than paypal me, just donate directly to Chapman and post the receipt: https://bgcf.givingfuel.com/rcf

I'll drop him another 50 right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    April 2nd, daddy-O.

Don't even start.
    lol you're on the wrong side of the argument. It will probably hit in March, but I got a couple days leeway if my math model is off

Thread Information