My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2020 was ing weird.

2021... just topped it. holy balls.

Group backed by Charles Koch joins in federal marijuana push after Zoom with Snoop

A group backed by GOP mega-donor Charles Koch, on Tuesday, launched the Cannabis Freedom Alliance, an idea that was sparked after a Koch was on a Zoom call with rapper Snoop Dogg.

Politico first reported that Snoop, Koch and criminal justice reform advocate Weldon Angelos were on a Zoom call together last summer, when the idea for the coalition originated.

Angelos was pardoned by former President Trump in January, after serving 13 years of a 55-year sentence for marijuana trafficking charges.

The movement, according to a statement from the alliance, aims to “end the prohibition, criminalization, and overregulation of cannabis in the United States.”

In a statement announcing the coalition, the group wrote that they are working to accomplish four core values through federal legislative reform: “federal de-scheduling and criminal justice reform, reentry and successful second chances, promoting entrepreneurship in free and open markets and compe ive and reasonable tax rates.”

The coalition includes a number of groups: Americans for Prosperity, the advocacy group co-founded by Koch; the Reason Foundation, a libertarian think tank; the Global Alliance for Cannabis, a marijuana trade organization; and The Weldon Project, a nonprofit that is dedicated to funding social change and financial aid for individuals who are still imprisoned for marijuana-related offenses.

The alliance sees the Democratic majorities in the House and Senate as well as having a Democrat in the White House as an opportunity for the advancement of marijuana legislation.

The group hopes Koch’s prominence among conservatives can help sway 10-12 Republicans to join Democrats across the aisle and pass marijuana legislation.

“We need 10 to 12 Republican senators,” Angelos said, according to Politico. “With Koch’s influence, I think that's likely a possibility.”

Brent Gardner, the chief government affairs officer for Americans for Prosperity, said that legalizing cannabis businesses could help people “lift themselves up.”

“Americans for Prosperity is excited to work alongside our partners to bring cannabis businesses into the light, replacing black and gray markets with a free and fair legal framework," Gardner said in a statement. "Cannabis commerce will become a way for Americans to lift themselves up, rather than a barrier holding them back."

-------------------------------------------

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...dogg-coalition

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pity post.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Progress doesn't make 2021 weirder.

These next 8 months need to bring the pain if 2021 wants to even be remembered like 2020.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Progress doesn't make 2021 weirder.

These next 8 months need to bring the pain if 2021 wants to even be remembered like 2020.
    Good Gawd

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Libertarian group backing legalized weed is not weird

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont want legalization, I want federal decriminalization. States should still be able to choose and set up their own regulations.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Schumer needs to get that passed and cram it up Bidens ass.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Koch is playing 3D chess understanding that the democrats passing marijuana legalization is pretty much the last bi-partisan campaign point that the Democrats have advantage over the GOP. Once marijuana is federally legalized the dems no longer have any bipartisan sticking points that they can run on, since now gay marriage and recreational legalization will have been passed and the GOP even with a scotus majority will not look to repeal either one.

It is squarely the work of the DNC that federal recreational legalization wasn't passed 20 years ago, or at least during the Obama 60-40 era a decade or so ago. Because the DNC knows it hurts their campaigns knowing they have more edgy stuff to run on than the GOP in 22 and 2024.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont want legalization, I want federal decriminalization. States should still be able to choose and set up their own regulations.
    and all the states should then legalize it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    snoopocolypse?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas will probably be the last to do recreational. I can live with that as long as they get more reasonable on medical.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would take years. They need to do it just like gay marriage in June 2015, and fully legalize it on the federal level.

Won't happen anytime soon. There isn't much that congressional democrats and republicans agree on, but shoveling ridiculous amounts of money into the black hole known as the war on drugs makes the list.
    that noise. Life would be so much better if gary johnson was on his second term right now.

Texas will probably be the last to do recreational. I can live with that as long as they get more reasonable on medical.
    no, they should allow rec and grow too. otherwise my michigander stoner girlfriend won't ever visit me and i'll have to go up there even if it's cold.
    Last edited by Millennial_Messiah; 04-07-2021 at 07:11 PM.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Won't happen anytime soon. There isn't much that congressional democrats and republicans agree on, but shoveling ridiculous amounts of money into the black hole known as the war on drugs makes the list.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would take years. They need to do it just like gay marriage in June 2015, and fully legalize it on the federal level.

no, they should allow rec and grow too. otherwise my michigander stoner girlfriend won't ever visit me and i'll have to go up there even if it's cold.
    I dont see full legalization happening. They will treat it like alcohol and let states make the rules. There will be a federal tax like alcohol but they wont micromanage the states.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont see full legalization happening. They will treat it like alcohol and let states make the rules. There will be a federal tax like alcohol but they wont micromanage the states.
    that's stupid, so if you're someone like me who enjoys roadtrips, if you got a buzz in michigan or colorado say, and you drive into a ruby red state they should be allowed to incarcerate you? At some point the 10th amendment is stupid. If gay marriage, a far more iffy issue due to religion, could be fully legalized 6 years ago... why not a plant that is no more harmful or addictive than tobacco, which has been legal since the dawn of mankind?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's stupid, so if you're someone like me who enjoys roadtrips, if you got a buzz in michigan or colorado say, and you drive into a ruby red state they should be allowed to incarcerate you? At some point the 10th amendment is stupid. If gay marriage, a far more iffy issue due to religion, could be fully legalized 6 years ago... why not a plant that is no more harmful or addictive than tobacco, which has been legal since the dawn of mankind?
    I'm just telling you the way it will be, stupid or not. , Mississippi just legalized alcohol in 1966.

Thread Information