Page 30 of 171 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone who’s interested in Garuba should really read the story of Mike Mamula and the Philadelphia Eagles. He blew away every workout at the combine, and they used a very high pick on him. It turned out that he was just a workout wonder, and didn’t play football all that well.
    Just how is Mamula's story relevant here? Garuba is playing significant minutes for Real Madrid, 16 MPG in Euroleague (38 Games played), and 19 MPG in ACB (33 games played) as a 19 year old...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's official

Michigan sop re wing Franz Wagner has decided to enter the 2021 NBA draft, forgoing his remaining college eligibility. The program issued a press release announcing the decision, and Wagner also wrote a piece on The Players’ Tribune about it.

“I’ll be honest … I’m definitely feeling a lot of emotions about it,”
    Wagner wrote of his decision to go pro. “I’m hopeful, more than anything — as playing in the NBA has been a big dream of mine. It’s something I’ve been working extremely hard for. And after talking with my coaches and my family, I know it’s something I’m ready for. From a basketball perspective, this is the move for me to make right now. Plus, I mean, if Moe (older brother Moritz Wagner) can play in the league — obviously they’ll take anyone.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's official

Michigan sop re wing Franz Wagner has decided to enter the 2021 NBA draft, forgoing his remaining college eligibility. The program issued a press release announcing the decision, and Wagner also wrote a piece on The Players’ Tribune about it.

“I’ll be honest … I’m definitely feeling a lot of emotions about it,”
    Wagner wrote of his decision to go pro. “I’m hopeful, more than anything — as playing in the NBA has been a big dream of mine. It’s something I’ve been working extremely hard for. And after talking with my coaches and my family, I know it’s something I’m ready for. From a basketball perspective, this is the move for me to make right now. Plus, I mean, if Moe (older brother Moritz Wagner) can play in the league — obviously they’ll take anyone.”
    Wow, talk about taking the perfect opportunity to level a worldwide brother joke! Well done. Hard to imagine Moritz will ever be able to top that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just how is Mamula's story relevant here? Garuba is playing significant minutes for Real Madrid, 16 MPG in Euroleague (38 Games played), and 19 MPG in ACB (33 games played) as a 19 year old...
    He’s a physical specimen who doesn’t have much game. You see it every year, guys who could lean into their athleticism at lower levels go splat against the windshield when confronted by guys with game AND athleticism.

If you’re looking for a bench rim runner/rim defender who doesn’t have a ton of upside,but understands US basketball, just pick the kid from KY, Isaiah Jackson. Neither one of them will ever be a star,but Jackson will be in the league in 5 years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s a physical specimen who doesn’t have much game. You see it every year, guys who could lean into their athleticism at lower levels go splat against the windshield when confronted by guys with game AND athleticism.

If you’re looking for a bench rim runner/rim defender who doesn’t have a ton of upside,but understands US basketball, just pick the kid from KY, Isaiah Jackson. Neither one of them will ever be a star,but Jackson will be in the league in 5 years.
    The thing is, Garuba has the upside to be more than a rim runner. Sure, if he ends up as an undersized center, like a Jordan Bell, then his value would be low. However, he's shown he can play with grown men in probably the 2nd and third best basketball leagues in the world. If he develops enough offensively to hang as a 4, then his defense alone will be worth it, he can legit guard anyone 1-5. Now, I can understand if people don't buy his shot would ever develop, I can't say I understand enough to be able to judge whether a player can or cannot improve his shot.

He has shown improvements this season, though, he's practically shooting and hitting 3s at exactly Evan Mobley's rate. It's not great obviously, but this is why we're keyboard GMs and real scouts' jobs are difficult.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s a team fit for him with his skill sets I think Warriors would be a great fit cause he would be surrounded with shooters. With the Spurs we don’t have that and our Center has zero outside shooting so very bad fit for us

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's official

Michigan sop re wing Franz Wagner has decided to enter the 2021 NBA draft, forgoing his remaining college eligibility.
    It's official? Really official?

Be still my heart.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs looking at that mid first round pick? Or can they stay around 12 or 13?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing is, Garuba has the upside to be more than a rim runner. Sure, if he ends up as an undersized center, like a Jordan Bell, then his value would be low. However, he's shown he can play with grown men in probably the 2nd and third best basketball leagues in the world. If he develops enough offensively to hang as a 4, then his defense alone will be worth it, he can legit guard anyone 1-5. Now, I can understand if people don't buy his shot would ever develop, I can't say I understand enough to be able to judge whether a player can or cannot improve his shot.

He has shown improvements this season, though, he's practically shooting and hitting 3s at exactly Evan Mobley's rate. It's not great obviously, but this is why we're keyboard GMs and real scouts' jobs are difficult.
    A 4 in today’s league needs to be able to dribble/pass/shoot. He doesn’t really have those skills, and is not big enough to play other than spot minutes at center. Mobley is a different animal altogether. He’s a solid 4” taller, and is clearly a center. He doesn’t need the perimeter skill set that a 4 does.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d put chances of being #13 at about 85%.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Decent shot at 11... to get any higher Nola would have to win half there remaining games and its not likely... 11 to 13 is probably our range now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, I haven't seen a two-handed set shot since the days of the Washington Generals.

(Okay, you're right, I need to dial it back.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "And on a personal level, I’m really proud of how much I’ve grown over these last two years. Off the court, I feel like I’ve become an adult — I’ve learned to take care of myself, you know what I mean?? (Also, I can mostly grow a beard now. Amazing perseverance.) And on the court, I think I’m just a more well-rounded player than I was when I first got to Michigan. I know the current NBA is all about versatility, guys who can show guard-like skills while having forward-like size. And I definitely think I’m developing that type of game.

At the same time, though, I’ll always be my own worst critic — and I know I’ve got lots of things I have to work on and improve if I’m going to achieve my goals. I know I have to keep pushing myself to my limits. But those types of challenges … I live for them. I never want to feel satisfied with where I’m at."

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/po...tball-ncaa-nba

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Random thoughts:

On one hand, I’m ok continuing to draft European forwards with guard skills because American players seem to lack fundamental skills too often, and this type of size and skills in a player is the future of the NBA. But I have hopes for Luka though. I think he has turned a corner but hasn’t been given of an opportunity yet.

More to the point, can Wagner play the 4? I’m still trying to figure that out.

One thing I can’t get around with Wagner is his funky, awkward athletic style, if that’s the right word. He seems to have decent to good functional athleticism, but he seems the opposite of fluid, like everything is labored and he already a double hip replacement. Sort of joking, but I would definitely want to the Spurs to give him a thorough physical.
    Last edited by The Truth #6; 05-04-2021 at 02:24 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wagner is still my favorite prospect outside of the top 5.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wagner is still my favorite prospect outside of the top 5.
    Cool. What are you seeing and what do you like about him? I recognize his various skills, defense, and great team oriented personality. Frankly, I’m surprised he is so rated so high, I guess.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the schedule we have and all the OT we played recently we’re going to find it hard to win more then 2 games - I am pretty sure will end up with 11th or 12th pick

I just noticed Bleacher report has both Sengun and Giddey in the top 10. Lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cool. What are you seeing and what do you like about him? I recognize his various skills, defense, and great team oriented personality. Frankly, I’m surprised he is so rated so high, I guess.
    This article is one of the best I've read that summarizes why:

http://jakeinthepaint.com/size-skill...has-the-juice/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's another fantastic (probably better) article about him:

https://zonahoops.com/2021/02/07/fra...outing-report/
    Last edited by Dejounte; 05-04-2021 at 03:49 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see a guy with an all around game who has the potential to be a first class distributor. A guy who will make every one around him better. He's big enough to play the 4 even though he's a natural 3. He's athletic enough to guard 3's. His shot was my only concern but it's not broken.. if Chip can get him consistently averaging 38% from 3 he has the upside to be the best player in the draft imo. Even if he doesn't he'll be valuable because of his other talents... that's what I see...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice articles. I’m coming around to him. Feels almost like a Slomo in that he is well rounded but, overall, better. That isn't a dig. We could have used a Slomo this year more than Rudy Gay. And I could see Wagner replacing Gay’s role over time. I really want to get players who can return us to a semblance of the beautiful game and Wagner has that.

Put another way, he plays defense and has other important skills we need from the wing.
    Last edited by The Truth #6; 05-04-2021 at 05:48 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New Orleans beat Golden State tonight, so they're 2 games behind the Spurs, who have 8 remaining games. The Pelicans have 6 games remaining.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New Orleans beat Golden State tonight, so they're 2 games behind the Spurs, who have 8 remaining games. The Pelicans have 6 games remaining.
    If you believe that the NBA would prefer for Zion to be in the playoffs, that’s definitely an argument for the refs favoring Zion and NO. I don’t like conspiracy theories, but the NBA, like every other billion dollar business, likes to prioritize profits over ethics. Just rambling, but I can see NO moving ahead of us. It’s definitely possible. But NO always finds ways to lose no matter how much the league props them up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven’t looked to deep into all the prospects but what I’ve seen there’s a lot of guys that I like in this draft! I’m confident no matter what pick the spurs end up at they will find something special

Thread Information