Page 32 of 171 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I did'nt notice that Giddey plays with brandon paul, RC with the phone call lol

I like Giddey, he is talented, i just wonder how he can play with murray or white because they are all better with the ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Giddey, he is talented, i just wonder how he can play with murray or white because they are all better with the ball.
    I think this team just needs to take the best player.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I did'nt notice that Giddey plays with brandon paul, RC with the phone call lol

White is injury prone, going on 27 and probably no better than a third option on a good team and Murray is a player who has no place on a good team, since he's useless off ball and on ball, is a secondary creator who's unable/willing to consistently generate/convert high value shots.

Even with this organization's bizarre aversion to making unforced trades, neither should factor into the calculus in relation to the draft, especially with a lottery pick.

If they had any sense, they'd trade both, Poeltl and Walker IV and essentially start over.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White is injury prone, going on 27 and probably no better than a third option on a good team and Murray is a player who has no place on a good team, since he's useless off ball and on ball, is a secondary creator who's unable/willing to consistently generate/convert high value shots.

Even with this organization's bizarre aversion to making unforced trades, neither should factor into the calculus in relation to the draft, especially with a lottery pick.

If they had any sense, they'd trade both, Poeltl and Walker IV and essentially start over.
    This forum loves to say stupid . Any sense? You’re not going to move those 4 players for higher value and even if you could move them for equal value and arguably a better fit this team lacks any definitive iden y to reap a benefit from it. Unless you can package a combination of those 4 to acquire a star player I don’t see any reason to make trades simply to make trades. Making trades for fit only comes after your team as a clear iden y and long term path.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This forum loves to say stupid . Any sense? You’re not going to move those 4 players for higher value and even if you could move them for equal value and arguably a better fit this team lacks any definitive iden y to reap a benefit from it. Unless you can package a combination of those 4 to acquire a star player I don’t see any reason to make trades simply to make trades. Making trades for fit only comes after your team as a clear iden y and long term path.
    Newsflash: They don't have much value and it's less about that and more so about finding a foundation a good team can be built on because they're not it and it's time to stop wasting time, resources and money pretending they are. Only an arrogant/stupid organization would operate otherwise

Load up on picks, spend a few years selecting in the high-mid lottery and they should easily come away with a more talented core than them to add to Johnson and Vassell.
    Last edited by TD 21; 05-06-2021 at 04:24 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think this team just needs to take the best player.

i agree 100% but then i try to figure how they will play together. Ok they could trade someone but if not how they will play is my question.

In fact they can play white murray and giddey PG/SG and give other minutes to Walker. That's the same question if we draft another PG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

lots of armchair GMs in this forum.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lots of armchair GMs in this forum.
    Uh yeah, it's kind of the whole point of this.

Take off the rose colored glasses and you'll see that it doesn't take a genius to realize this organization is way behind the times and the team is severely lacking in talent.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Take the most talented kid and figure out how to fit him in latter

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Take off the rose colored glasses and you'll see that it doesn't take a genius to realize this organization is way behind the times and the team is severely lacking in talent.
    quite a leap from seeing the obvious and acting as if one's solutions are so much more informed. and the point of this thread isn't necessarily to come up with even more extreme solutions. for me, it's to discuss the viable options are out there and get legit scouting reports on those individual players. some posters in here are pretty good at sharing their finds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Newsflash: They don't have much value and it's less about that and more so about finding a foundation a good team can be built on because they're not it and it's time to stop wasting time, resources and money pretending they are. Only an arrogant/stupid organization would operate otherwise

Load up on picks, spend a few years selecting in the high-mid lottery and they should easily come away with a more talented core than them to add to Johnson and Vassell.
    Newsflash: Doing what you’re suggesting will likely create a bigger problem and end up with this team circling the drain for way longer. Funny how you seem to think that this logic can be selectively applied. IE this organization is inept and should blow it up because what their doing isn’t working. Yet blowing it up somehow means that this same inept organization can navigate being a perpetual bottom feeder with greater success. There’s really no evidence that suggests trading away talent for unforeseen potential will end up improving this team.

They’re way better off massaging the roster until they can pull off a solid needle moving trade, strong signing or diamond in the rough draft pick in a position of need.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Honestly I think our fans are behind the times every time they suggest blowing up the roster to go on a fishing expedition for a game changing top 3 pick.

Philly is maybe the closest example of stocking piling assets resulting in a successful run. At best they’re a borderline contender of the verge of coming apart and if SA had Philly’s roster you’d want to blow it up too.

I don’t think your suggestion is the best path. Not to mention you’ll leverage fans and attendance once we get into next season and open up games to fans.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    quite a leap from seeing the obvious and acting as if one's solutions are so much more informed. and the point of this thread isn't necessarily to come up with even more extreme solutions. for me, it's to discuss the viable options are out there and get legit scouting reports on those individual players. some posters in here are pretty good at sharing their finds.
    All I'm saying is what they have isn't going a foundational upon which to build a successful team, so they might as well put themselves in position to do so instead of continuing to waste time.

Newsflash: Doing what you’re suggesting will likely create a bigger problem and end up with this team circling the drain for way longer. Funny how you seem to think that this logic can be selectively applied. IE this organization is inept and should blow it up because what their doing isn’t working. Yet blowing it up somehow means that this same inept organization can navigate being a perpetual bottom feeder with greater success. There’s really no evidence that suggests trading away talent for unforeseen potential will end up improving this team.

They’re way better off massaging the roster until they can pull off a solid needle moving trade, strong signing or diamond in the rough draft pick in a position of need.
    You don't have to be all that intelligent to pick no brainer superstars and stars though. It's not about evidence, it's about having a clean slate and better chance instead of being stubborn and pretending to be smarter than everyone while continuing to flounder.

That's just it, they won't be able to pull off a needle moving trade with what they have and relying on diamond in the rough draft picks reeks of arrogance and stupidity.

Honestly I think our fans are behind the times every time they suggest blowing up the roster to go on a fishing expedition for a game changing top 3 pick.

Philly is maybe the closest example of stocking piling assets resulting in a successful run. At best they’re a borderline contender of the verge of coming apart and if SA had Philly’s roster you’d want to blow it up too.

I don’t think your suggestion is the best path. Not to mention you’ll leverage fans and attendance once we get into next season and open up games to fans.
    Nah, it's the front office and apologists of them that fill this board who are behind the times.

Again, there are no certainties beyond the best odds of getting foundational pieces are picking as high as possible for a while.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All I'm saying is what they have isn't going a foundational upon which to build a successful team, so they might as well put themselves in position to do so instead of continuing to waste time.

You don't have to be all that intelligent to pick no brainer superstars and stars though. It's not about evidence, it's about having a clean slate and better chance instead of being stubborn and pretending to be smarter than everyone while continuing to flounder.

That's just it, they won't be able to pull off a needle moving trade with what they have and relying on diamond in the rough draft picks reeks of arrogance and stupidity.

Nah, it's the front office and apologists of them that fill this board who are behind the times.

Again, there are no certainties beyond the best odds of getting foundational pieces are picking as high as possible for a while.

You saying “You don't have to be all that intelligent to pick no brainer superstars and stars though. It's not about evidence”

Says all we need to know about your analysis.

So you got a plan that takes little to no intelligence to pull off yet you can’t cite any examples of this working. If you can’t reference anything to support your argument maybe it’s time to realize that you’re the one who’s wrong.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's a player we most likely won't draft because he plays point guard and can't shoot well, but has some decent skills. Unlikely to last to the second round, but cool to keep on the radar. I'm honing in on players who have strong passing. To me that suggests they have solid processing and that is a trait that usually doesn't magically improve, like, say, shooting, which, again, he sucks at presently.

With that introduction, here is: Sharife Cooper from Auburn — https://youtu.be/Ct9aYO8LyP8
    Last edited by The Truth #6; 05-06-2021 at 09:18 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speaking of players who can pass and not shoot, here is someone who plays winning basketball, in theory. His defensive intensity is insane. He seems to have great on and off ball defensive chops. Perfect body type for the modern game. Great athlete and wingspan, et cetera. His offense is horrible and that puts a hard cap on his playability, but the Spurs aren't going to be competing for championship anytime soon so he seems like a good risk, especially with his ridiculously positive at ude which bodes well for improvement. I think he is out of our range, but with his shooting issues I can see him falling while Giddey rises.

A shorter version of David Robinson on meth but with no offensive game.

Here is Scottie Barnes: https://youtu.be/FW88eB7X4Jg

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speaking of players who can pass and not shoot, here is someone who plays winning basketball, in theory. His defensive intensity is insane. He seems to have great on and off ball defensive chops. Perfect body type for the modern game. Great athlete and wingspan, et cetera. His offense is horrible and that puts a hard cap on his playability, but the Spurs aren't going to be competing for championship anytime soon so he seems like a good risk, especially with his ridiculously positive at ude which bodes well for improvement. I think he is out of our range, but with his shooting issues I can see him falling while Giddey rises.

A shorter version of David Robinson on meth but with no offensive game.

Here is Scottie Barnes: https://youtu.be/FW88eB7X4Jg

Not a huge fan because of two things:

1) Like you said, his poor shooting. But I think it's worse than that: he has low awareness on offense. Often watches the ball and doesn't move around. Finds himself in the wrong places on offense. He'll do that thing like Lonnie where he takes two dribbles forward and then pass it out. His lack of confidence in his offensive ability (even though he is athletic) will drive people nuts.
    2) His defense is overrated. In the same manner people confused KG's screaming and high intensity for "winning at ude", Scottie does the same thing... claps his hands to taunt the ball handler. Umm... that's not that impressive. Yes, he has good lateral speed. But people are looking at Scottie and all his antics as if that equates to good defense.S

All that said, Scottie is the type of guy I'll settle for in different scenarios.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds a little like Jericho Sims high flying UT center. Amazing athlete who was a major disappointment. Real fast though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perhaps I just wanted to compare someone to “David Robinson on meth”. Lol. Yeah, I hear your points. All valid. I may have it backwards. He may actually be rising, which isn’t the worst thing for us. I still like his at ude in theory but we need aggressive players not histrionic. In contrast we have Luka. Pretty quiet dude, but on the court he hasn’t been shy lately about trying to force his game.

On a further tangent, I’d love to start Luka and Keldon as our forwards next year. If our coach could commit to that, then in this draft someone like Duarte or Moody might be who they take.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vrenz has all the markings of someone who doesn't just sneak into the 1st round, but goes higher than people here are expecting.
    I agree. Yet in every mock draft I’ve read the last few days, he isn’t even mentioned in the top 75. If he isn’t drafted they should at least do a camp invite.

http://www.tankathon.com/big_board

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speaking of Euros and mock drafts, it sure feels like there are way less euros getting mentioned in this draft.

Theory: covid has severely restricted scouting of European players and a team with strong European scouting connections could find huge steals in the second round. Granted, this seems less likely in the internet age, but less games have been played in most places. Anyway, something seems off.
    Last edited by The Truth #6; 05-07-2021 at 06:23 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we’re looking at Florida State guys, would be very interested in RaiQuan Gray for the 2nd round. Lots of tools to work with and shot is improving. Conditioning is perhaps an issue but very mobile for his size/weight.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Not a huge fan because of two things:

1) Like you said, his poor shooting. But I think it's worse than that: he has low awareness on offense. Often watches the ball and doesn't move around. Finds himself in the wrong places on offense. He'll do that thing like Lonnie where he takes two dribbles forward and then pass it out. His lack of confidence in his offensive ability (even though he is athletic) will drive people nuts.
    2) His defense is overrated. In the same manner people confused KG's screaming and high intensity for "winning at ude", Scottie does the same thing... claps his hands to taunt the ball handler. Umm... that's not that impressive. Yes, he has good lateral speed. But people are looking at Scottie and all his antics as if that equates to good defense.S

All that said, Scottie is the type of guy I'll settle for in different scenarios.

I agree about offense but his defense is not overrated, he has the body and lenght to guard a lot of positions. And watching some of his games, he is a good defender, good at stealing the ball and one on one D.
    And you talk about a fundamental thing : lateral speed for someone of his size/body that's pretty impressive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree about offense but his defense is not overrated, he has the body and lenght to guard a lot of positions. And watching some of his games, he is a good defender, good at stealing the ball and one on one D.
    And you talk about a fundamental thing : lateral speed for someone of his size/body that's pretty impressive.

I circled where Scottie's man is and how Scottie allowed them to be so wide open.

It wasn't very hard finding these. He does this frequently.

This is already a huge problem on the current Spurs.

Again, Scottie does a good job APPEARING like a good defender, but in reality, he watches the ball a lot and is out of position frequently.

Do you want the Spurs to keep getting bombarded by open 3's?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Second round sleeper? Julian Champagnie led the Big East in scoring, was named to the All Big East First Team (along with James Bouknight and Jeremiah Robinson-Earl), and won Most Improved Player of the conference. He's a young sop re, still 19, meaning he's younger than some freshmen prospects. The one characteristic that caught my eye was his penchant for taking & making contested threes. He shot 38% on the year taking these, so what might he shoot in the NBA as a specialist who gets lots of open looks?

https://nypost.com/2021/02/15/st-joh...eakout-season/
    https://www.wyexpect.com/stories/2021-nba-draft-sleepers-st-johns-julian-champagnie-is-hiding-in-plain-sight
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...mpagnie-1.html
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 05-07-2021 at 10:16 AM.

Thread Information