Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I appreciate what you are saying. People, in general, have been conditioned from decades of history, and fixing that needs to start at a young age and go from the bottom up.

That said...boys and girls are both taught by men and women from elementary/grade school...whether it is math, science, English, or physical education.

There are plenty of examples of female gym teachers, coaches, etc who teach and coach both sexes in lower levels. I had several P.E. teachers public school who were women, and I can't say I ever had a second thought about it.

Maybe that is why we are seeing a shift occurring. Maybe not. It will take time.

It's just sad that some grown men can't see the difference. Women have been okay with being coached by a male coach for a long time now.

We seem to be in a particular moment in history of breaking through previous prejudice, and for better or worse, Hammon needs to ride that wave. She may end up being a leader, or a martyr....maybe both depending upon who you talk to. But someone has to kick through that door, and she is in the best position to do so.

Pop is always ahead of the curb in equality and being "woke" af

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Let’s also acknowledge that there are no shortage of guys who objectify woman so much so that they think putting gifs of them in their signature and butts in their avatars isn’t a misogynistic expression of their manhood.

…or lack of.
    Holy sh1t that's tough

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't quit your day job, your ability as a mathematician will not support you...
    please explain pythagoras

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, it's entirely possible that NBA players won't listen to a female coach. But if that's the case, it won't be because it's logical to only listen to a coach who you think could be on the court with you without being physically dominated. If players do believe that, they are denying objective reality and basic reason. This isn't like designing a jock strap or whatever where empirical experience might be helpful. Anyone can draw up a play, pick up tendencies, design drills or whatever. The only thing they might not be able to do is get players to buy in or be motivated or whatever. But a player looking at a woman and going like, "I don't feel any desire to go out there and try hard for you" isn't a logical actor. Trying to pretend like old customs have a self-contained reasoning that doesn't need to be legitimately defended to flow through just makes folks look bad.

Also, if Becky is basically a meh coach, why on Earth would the Spurs not want to have her promoted out so the team could move on to a better coach? It makes no sense to talk about a person just to keep them around. It's also dumb as for Portland to actually talk to her and run her through her intellectual paces and like what they see only to somehow doubt everything they directly experienced because some random person said she wasn't that great.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    please explain pythagoras
    Sorry, feeling crap right now (2nd COVID shot), so this is going to be crude.
    Even if we dump your assumption ("even *if* one could say that men generally are better at being NBA head coaches than women ...") and say the range of coaching ability is even between men and women, because Becky is a one off (as in there are no other female nba assistants), her being first in a cohort of one, doesn't prove anything. She could be anywhere on the spectrum of coaching ability and still be the best woman coach. Whereas the male applicants are (at least assumed) to be in the upper spectrum of coaching ability, because the less talented male coaches are trying to hold onto their assistant coach spots, not applying for head coach jobs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The world doesn't abide by it, huh? Why isn't she a head coach then? Cause the world is wrong damn it!!!
    Yeah, your views being about 20 years outdated and Becky not being promoted to HC surely go hand-in-hand. Tell me another one. And btw, it's only a matter of time for Becky to get the gig - she's already been the first in-game female HC in history. Like, we're not even that far away from this, to you, doomsday scenario

Everyone else is wrong!!! The world needs a female coach!!! Hear me roar!! Man, you GTFOH with your political assumptions about me. I'm not a conservative or Trumper or whatever the you want to label people who don't agree with your liberal, lefty progressive views.
    I don't give a who you vote for; knowing of you only what you post here, your views are unmistakably conservative, retrograde. Do tell me what you "identify" as though, if you're not a conservative (you sure as ain't a liberal ), I'm always up for a laugh. Ahora me sale con que es peronista, y me caigo de culo...

Paul Gasol wrote that puff piece in hopes of having people forgive and forget his insensitive Chinese eyes mockery with his Spanish teammates. That or he lost a bet. Maybe you weren't paying attention. I didn't say she couldn't coach, I said she wasn't going to be hired as an NBA head coach.
    I don't give a single either what minority Pau ing Gasol mocked in his youth - why'd you think it's relevant here? Pathetic deflection attempt, wholly unrelated to a legitimate article in, by all accounts, good faith describing Becky's coaching capabilities. Imagine trying to spin that he lost a bet because it's easier to imagine than he could be praising a woman for her coaching abilities man, you're really showing your feathers on this one. Can't you grow up a bit and just say "yeah, I don't think she's cutthroat enough to be a HC" or whatever like that other guy, instead of dying on stupid hill after stupid hill? And by-the-by, saying you don't think she can hold a locker room is pretty effectively saying she can't coach. But you'll be splitting hairs over this just because your true opinion of her is too controversial for even this god-forsaken board...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You want them to name the former coaches and players who gave their feedback in supposed confidence? Why is it so hard to understand that people say one thing in front of the camera because they are towing the company line & loyal to a coaching fraternity but saying something entirely different in private? Why do you think Mark Jackson doesn't have a coaching job after Golden State? Why can't Kareem Abdul Jabbar get a head coaching gig? How about Patrick Ewing? Maybe they're colossal pricks to work with, that's why. Perhaps they've been black-balled. No one will go on the record and say it. If you don't play the game right, you won't play.

In Becky's situation, there's a good chance her hype is a combination of being media-driven due to her gender and SOME people saying the right things when their names are attached to it. Why exactly did the Celtics hype her & then promptly hire Udoka? Did she even get an interview? Why didn't Udoka reach out to her instead of Hardy if she's such a hot commodity? Read between the lines.
    hey, guy from 20 years ago. you don't even know if udoka didn't reach out for her. perhaps he did and she said no.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And the young bull said to the old bull let’s run down there and breed with one of them heifers. To which the old bull said let’s walk down their and breed them all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not a coincidence most of them are Trumpers
    So are you saying anti-Trumpers don't like women?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    posters falling for the obvious hit job piece on Becky and using it to justify their already self-assured misogynistic beliefs of her. You'd think people would be less gullible after the myriads of non-story hit pieces we've seen through the years, and especially in a case like this with the Pacers' PR disaster, but alas...
    This.

No doubt the Portland FO is in damage-control mode preparing for whatever fallout comes when Lillard bolts.a

The Spurs FO wouldn't do anything to inhibit Becky's chances at a head coaching job. Perhaps they answered honestly about aspects of her coaching experience where she's still building her resume, but we all know Pop has built a huge coaching legacy in the NBA and I'm sure he's pulling for Becky's opportunity to happen as well.
    Last edited by Ed Helicopter Jones; 06-29-2021 at 11:25 AM.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I heard from someone who was a scout who claimed that she isn’t very smart, suggesting also that Will Hardy was a better coach. I have no idea to prove or disprove the inner workings. Regardless, personally, I believe Becky will be a better coach. I think she has “it”. I hope she does well.

But as to the appearance of instability with the assistant coaches, to me it makes me wonder if everyone is waiting for Pop to make his decision, and some of the assistants are entertaining and taking other jobs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    from my experiences in following the NBA, and i don't have the time to do the research here, it seems to me that i can recall many occasions where assistance coaches move around a lot so i don't consider the spurs to be anomalous in that regard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's sad how day in and day out teams hire these terrible coaches but can't take a chance on Becky.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, your views being about 20 years outdated and Becky not being promoted to HC surely go hand-in-hand. Tell me another one. And btw, it's only a matter of time for Becky to get the gig - she's already been the first in-game female HC in history. Like, we're not even that far away from this, to you, doomsday scenario
    I'm thinking your 20 years old or younger which makes sense and goes along with your naivete. You want her to be an NBA head coach because you've made it up in your mind that its her turn. Right, that's how the world works. People just automatically elevate to the next level, not based on merit but because it's their turn. Never occurs to you that other candidates may offer something she doesn't possess. Might be a better fit for an organization. The rest of your life is going to be very disappointing.

I don't give a who you vote for; knowing of you only what you post here, your views are unmistakably conservative, retrograde. Do tell me what you "identify" as though, if you're not a conservative (you sure as ain't a liberal ), I'm always up for a laugh. Ahora me sale con que es peronista, y me caigo de culo...
    Yeah, you ing care. You're so caught up in your own bull and perspective that you think everyone has to agree with you or they're wild ass extremists from the other side. GROW THE UP. Not everyone fits in a box. You'll figure that out in about 20 years.

I don't give a single either what minority Pau ing Gasol mocked in his youth - why'd you think it's relevant here? Pathetic deflection attempt, wholly unrelated to a legitimate article in, by all accounts, good faith describing Becky's coaching capabilities. Imagine trying to spin that he lost a bet because it's easier to imagine than he could be praising a woman for her coaching abilities man, you're really showing your feathers on this one. Can't you grow up a bit and just say "yeah, I don't think she's cutthroat enough to be a HC" or whatever like that other guy, instead of dying on stupid hill after stupid hill? And by-the-by, saying you don't think she can hold a locker room is pretty effectively saying she can't coach. But you'll be splitting hairs over this just because your true opinion of her is too controversial for even this god-forsaken board...
    Maybe he likes Becky. Maybe she was nice to him. Then again, maybe, just maybe he wants to be like you and promote women to appear like he's some sort of ing progressive hero like Gregg. He embarrassed himself nationally when he and his teammates made fun of Chinese people and he wants to fix a perception he made for himself at the tail end of his career. In any case, its not deflection to my views that perhaps she's just not good enough or ready to be accepted as the first female head coach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm thinking your 20 years old or younger which makes sense and goes along with your naivete. You want her to be an NBA head coach because you've made it up in your mind that its her turn. Right, that's how the world works. People just automatically elevate to the next level, not based on merit but because it's their turn. Never occurs to you that other candidates may offer something she doesn't possess. Might be a better fit for an organization. The rest of your life is going to be very disappointing.

Yeah, you ing care. You're so caught up in your own bull and perspective that you think everyone has to agree with you or they're wild ass extremists from the other side. GROW THE UP. Not everyone fits in a box. You'll figure that out in about 20 years.

Maybe he likes Becky. Maybe she was nice to him. Then again, maybe, just maybe he wants to be like you and promote women to appear like he's some sort of ing progressive hero like Gregg. He embarrassed himself nationally when he and his teammates made fun of Chinese people and he wants to fix a perception he made for himself at the tail end of his career. In any case, its not deflection to my views that perhaps she's just not good enough or ready to be accepted as the first female head coach.
    The meritocracy thing. I mean, she’s the most senior assistant. How would she not be considered? They aren’t hiring the tall assistant with the heavy metal mullet. What has she not earned to be considered? Besides, meritocracy is sort of a myth anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I heard from someone who was a scout who claimed that she isn’t very smart
    LOL what the is this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wrong in your presumption, not like my age would make my arguments less valid, but anyways. Yes, it's definitely that I've "made up my mind" unilaterally about wanting her to be a HC, and definitely not the fact that she's the senior AC for a HC that's about to retire, and has been an AC for seven years already, with people like Steve Nash around getting HC opportunities without even a single year of coaching experience. Definitely. Lol. Also, it's ridiculous/hilarious that you yet again disqualify Becky in your mind, because she must be lacking something, even though you have no idea nor proof of what that might be.

What a stupid way to view the discussion at hand. You can absolutely categorize ways of thinking in "boxes". I never said everything has to fit in one, but you can certainly define your stances as conservative or progressive, or whatever you think is in between (the lack of answer here is enough answer on its own). Do tell me about other things that I'll figure out in 20 years... I hope they aren't as useless as belittling women over preconceptions, though.

continuing to try to make up narratives because the idea that Gasol might've been impressed enough with Becky's coaching to write a letter about her is insane to you. Have you, in all your old fart wisdom, never heard of Occam's Razor? My God, are you failing there. Lmfao at thinking giving women spaces like head coaching is trying to be a hero or some . For someone of such supposed seniority, you sure think like an adolescent. Again, if you personally think she's not qualified, that's fine, I don't seek your approval nor need it. But your going out of your way on these ridiculous tangents (sure, Pau has no better reparation method to the Chinese culture than addressing a literally entirely different topic about an entirely different demographic!) tells a different story.

In any case, I hope Becky can become HC one day - not because I feel like she has to or is en led to it, but so she can pave the way for further women getting into these positions, and also to show oldheads like you that there isn't an inherent biological barrier that prevents them from coaching. It's clear at this point that nothing short of visual proof of success will dissuade you (and even then, would you jump on the "X player made his coach good" bandwagon like some posters do with Timmy & Pop, rather than admit you were wrong? I wonder...).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The meritocracy thing. I mean, she’s the most senior assistant. How would she not be considered? They aren’t hiring the tall assistant with the heavy metal mullet. What has she not earned to be considered? Besides, meritocracy is sort of a myth anyway.
    Nah bro, it's clear the only possible reason Becky could be in consideration is because of this damned woke leftist culture! Absolutely nothing to do with the fact that she's the most tenured assistant for an organization famous for making big hires from within the org, and also famous for being innovative and trailblazing on multiple fronts where other organizations didn't go until the Spurs did. Absolutely not because of her mul ude of accolades as both a basketball player, and then experience as assistant coach. No way!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wrong in your presumption, not like my age would make my arguments less valid, but anyways. Yes, it's definitely that I've "made up my mind" unilaterally about wanting her to be a HC, and definitely not the fact that she's the senior AC for a HC that's about to retire, and has been an AC for seven years already, with people like Steve Nash around getting HC opportunities without even a single year of coaching experience. Definitely. Lol. Also, it's ridiculous/hilarious that you yet again disqualify Becky in your mind, because she must be lacking something, even though you have no idea nor proof of what that might be.

What a stupid way to view the discussion at hand. You can absolutely categorize ways of thinking in "boxes". I never said everything has to fit in one, but you can certainly define your stances as conservative or progressive, or whatever you think is in between (the lack of answer here is enough answer on its own). Do tell me about other things that I'll figure out in 20 years... I hope they aren't as useless as belittling women over preconceptions, though.

continuing to try to make up narratives because the idea that Gasol might've been impressed enough with Becky's coaching to write a letter about her is insane to you. Have you, in all your old fart wisdom, never heard of Occam's Razor? My God, are you failing there. Lmfao at thinking giving women spaces like head coaching is trying to be a hero or some . For someone of such supposed seniority, you sure think like an adolescent. Again, if you personally think she's not qualified, that's fine, I don't seek your approval nor need it. But your going out of your way on these ridiculous tangents (sure, Pau has no better reparation method to the Chinese culture than addressing a literally entirely different topic about an entirely different demographic!) tells a different story.

In any case, I hope Becky can become HC one day - not because I feel like she has to or is en led to it, but so she can pave the way for further women getting into these positions, and also to show oldheads like you that there isn't an inherent biological barrier that prevents them from coaching. It's clear at this point that nothing short of visual proof of success will dissuade you (and even then, would you jump on the "X player made his coach good" bandwagon like some posters do with Timmy & Pop, rather than admit you were wrong? I wonder...).
    Whether I agree with you, or not: you're such an enjoyable poster to read.
    A joy.

Thank you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah bro, it's clear the only possible reason Becky could be in consideration is because of this damned woke leftist culture! Absolutely nothing to do with the fact that she's the most tenured assistant for an organization famous for making big hires from within the org, and also famous for being innovative and trailblazing on multiple fronts where other organizations didn't go until the Spurs did. Absolutely not because of her mul ude of accolades as both a basketball player, and then experience as assistant coach. No way!
    As an aside, the 'woke' 'leftist' 'lib ' parts of the country are BY FAR more productive economically and in pretty much every other metric than the red areas. The 'woke' ass excuse is just dead-ender incel-types making excuses for their terrible-ass lives. There's no way Pop would keep somone on his staff that isn't pulling their weight.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't really buy the notion that Hammon isn't smart enough or is so lazy the Spurs aren't happy with her and discourage other teams from hiring her.

Because it that was the case they would have encouraged her to take any of the college jobs she's been offered.

Even now, she's a huge name and can snap her fingers and could get near 90% of the women's college head coach jobs. If she felt/knew/suspected the Spurs were unhappy and she was limited into a limbo of non-advancement then she has an easy face saving out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Becky was slacking in her duties as an assistant coach, then Pop would've kicked her to the curb already.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing I haven’t seen anyone mention is the real elephant in the room as far as hiring NBA head coaches & general managers in today’s NBA. There’s much more pressure to fill those jobs based on racial factors than on gender factors. At this point in the NBA hiring matrix, being black scores higher on the intersectional scorecard than being a white, gay female. How else to you explain Chauncey Billups being hired? Now, if Utah gets an HC job open, she’s in like… the Errol Flynn reference doesn’t work here, does it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As an aside, the 'woke' 'leftist' 'lib ' parts of the country are BY FAR more productive economically and in pretty much every other metric than the red areas. The 'woke' ass excuse is just dead-ender incel-types making excuses for their terrible-ass lives. There's no way Pop would keep somone on his staff that isn't pulling their weight.
    Pretty sure Sugus was being heavily sarcastic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whether I agree with you, or not: you're such an enjoyable poster to read.
    A joy.

Thank you.
    Thanks, man, I appreciate it. I wonder sometimes whether people enjoy reading my sometimes long-winded posts, it's nice to see they're appreciated. Cheers!

Thread Information