Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Derrick White trade is looking worse and worse every day. We'd probably have 3-4 more wins right now with an outside shot at the 8th seed. Playing in the playoffs breeds confidence and a winning culture. Playing an opponent 4-7 straight times is valuable experience for a young team.

What is a late first round pick and a pick swap really gonna do? White was a home grown locker room guy. I would have rather we kept our 2nd/3rd banana. I'd rather done White/1st round pick for Sabonis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we were losing with him and losing without him. We are no better or worse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Derrick White trade is looking worse and worse every day. We'd probably have 3-4 more wins right now with an outside shot at the 8th seed. Playing in the playoffs breeds confidence and a winning culture. Playing an opponent 4-7 straight times is valuable experience for a young team.

What is a late first round pick and a pick swap really gonna do? White was a home grown locker room guy. I would have rather we kept our 2nd/3rd banana. I'd rather done White/1st round pick for Sabonis.
    It gives a chance for one of the younger guys to step up. White turns 28 in four months and he was the odd man out, he is better off in Boston.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What good does getting swept in the first round or losing the play in do. Spurs made the right move

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a bad trade, but it was really to get off White's salary. They weren't doing anything with him anyway. Kind of a gift to the Celtics all around.
    Last edited by Mr. Body; 03-05-2022 at 10:29 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stupid thread

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs weren’t going anywhere with Derrick and he doesn’t fit the rebuild timeline anyways. Let him go play for a contender while we rebuild and let our young guys get valuable minutes to develop. Losing games is the best thing that can happen for us right now.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The hardest part is that White would have likely been a Spur for life. That’s special if it were to in fact happen.

I get the trade but it still stings.

Tim to Tony to Manu! bdictjames's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The hardest part is that White would have likely been a Spur for life. That’s special if it were to in fact happen.

I get the trade but it still stings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too many guards and spurs wanted out of his deal. Spurs sure as didn't want langford or j-rich

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So short sighted boys……

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I liked White but in the long-term he was never going to help the Spurs. At best with him they would be an 8th seed that gets bounced out of the playoffs every year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think we need to show a little patience with this trade.

I’m one of the biggest Derrick fans here but understand that the team can’t say no to that package within it’s current state.

We just experienced likely the biggest team turnover in the previous 12 months that we’ve ever seen before in Spurs history.
    LMA, DDR, Patty Mills, Rudy Gay, Derrick White…We’re talking 5 of your top 7 rotation guys, off the team in that span.

We’ve seen Drew Eubanks play his way into and out of (and ultimately off the team), in that time.

Let’s at least wait until the end of the 2022 off-season to give it a starting grade…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We’re better offensively, and worse defensively, so for now, it’s more or less a wash. We’ll have to wait to see what the pick and/or swap turn into, and if we can leverage the players into other assets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP makes nothing but “we should have done this/ we shouldn’t have done this” type posts. How do you ever deal with life with this weak ass mindset?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derrick White trade thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. It gave more opportunity for our young guys, especially Lonnie, to play more minutes and responsibilities, which could be telling if Spurs would keep Lonnie or not,
    2. Cleared up more salary for a potential big sign, i.e. Ayton,
    3. White hasn’t helped pushed the needle and already 28,
    4. We have to wait who Spurs use the picks on/swap or trade for,
    5. J-Rich is a good defensive SF which position Spurs are thin

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just need us to win the Raptors game (or luck into a win vs the Lakers/Jazz) so I can get some tickets against the Pacers Monday. I want to be in the building when Pop breaks the record

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1. It gave more opportunity for our young guys, especially Lonnie, to play more minutes and responsibilities, which could be telling if Spurs would keep Lonnie or not,
    2. Cleared up more salary for a potential big sign, i.e. Ayton,
    3. White hasn’t helped pushed the needle and already 28,
    4. We have to wait who Spurs use the picks on/swap or trade for,
    5. J-Rich is a good defensive SF which position Spurs are thin
    #2 isn’t really accurate. This trade alone used up more summer 2022 cap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In terms of winning in the short run, yes, it was a mistake. In terms of winning in the long run, no, it was the right move.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. The spurs are finally pulling the bandaid off. Something they should’ve done years ago

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still love the trade. Bad take

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    #2 isn’t really accurate. This trade alone used up more summer 2022 cap.
    Derrick’s contract is still 52mil. J-Rich has 12mil after this year and very movable if needed. Likewise Langford’s contract could be a trade filler. So there’s more flexibility salary wise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We all (well, most of us) hated to see Derrick go. He was a fine example of a young man who kept pushing his ceiling higher by hard work. I remember when we drafted him how much angst there was about taking a player that most had never heard of and who hadn't made a big ripple in his college career. Turned out those were bad takes, eh?

The thing about the White trade and some of the others is that it gives us another chance to get a lucky draw in the draft for someone with a higher ceiling who fills a need like at SF or PF without seriously damaging our guard situation. We have several who may be as good as White, are younger, and who have less salary against the cap.

Is trying to hit the big winner in the lottery a crap shoot? Sure. But why not take a shot to get that one perfect player who might be an instant starter and perhaps an All-Star. We need at least one of those types of players and we ain't gonna get one in free agency.

Our ST player personnel gurus are still figuring out the ramifications of some past trades like George Hill and the big one for Kwahi years later. Let's see how this turns out.

Thread Information