Page 27 of 115 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I got 2 nephews in Elementary and 1 more incoming. Yes what happens in Us schools is disgusting. But reality is US people are sick in the head and although guns are their weapons of choice, the weapons are not 100% responsible for the deaths.

These sick s would resort to arson, home made bombs or other to inflict pain on society.

I do agree automatic weapons should be mainly banned (or require incredible amount of security checks)

But to blame it all on guns is weak
    I'd rather make it harder than make it easier. Let them try to build bombs or resort to arson. Better than guaranteeing them a successful mass murder

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Social media is a hug reason but a broken home much more

Add to that the glorification of weapons and violence by US government and media:
    "We will send billions of lethal aid"
    "Our weapons are the best"
    "We will kill anyone who disagrees with us"

Those 3 reasons above would corrupt a child beyond repair
    hater; the voice of reason & moderation in troubled times.

hater

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Coulda" "woulda"

But they didnt and Taliban and Vietcong prevailed.

So its doable.

Also the reality is in case of a Civil War. Having guns would be pretty useful IMO.

Its not like 100% of the US army will go against its people. In a civil war the army ruptures into 2.or more sides.
    I watched Rambo, America won Vietnam convincingly, tbh...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Brave

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

comparing Bozo to Tiananmen! that's hilarious.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beto is the real victim

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's sad but we all know nothing will change with gun laws so really the only thing that can be done is posting armed guards/police at all public schools, which is depressing and pathetic for the supposed best country on earth
    Arm all teachers!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This shootin illuminated another tired argument…

”why did the cops HAVE TO arrest the guy- why not let him go and arrest him later- cops are nazis blah blah?”

welp, this guy was chased by police, he got away briefly and ended up killing a bunch of children…

so now…

”why didnt the cops get this guy BEFORE he was able to hurt innocent children?”

???

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he's saying BLM has blood on its hands

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he's saying BLM has blood on its hands
    You mean Bike Lock Antifa.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump s

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/texas-...ry?id=84940951

Notice it doesn't say "A Border Patrol agent who was working nearby when the shooting began rushed into the school without waiting for backup and shot and killed the gunman"
    That was an AP story. It does say he was killed by a person with a gun. After further review the ruling on the floor stands.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DMC lost badly

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't say i didn't like your list. I appreciate you having the conversation. I rationally pointed out why it wouldn't be implemented and you tried to paint me as some crazy gun nut which I am definitely not.
    Ok, fair enough. What is your laundry list of ideas to fix the problem? You requested fixes, I laid out 9, you agreed with 1. Let's see your list.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All we gotta do is ban index fingers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was an AP story. It does say he was killed by a person with a gun. After further review the ruling on the floor stands.

so you can't see the difference between your original story "lone good guy rushes elementary school, takes out gunman" to the actual story "lone good guy gets outgunned by mass shooter because of his weaponry, waits 30 minutes for backup and tactical unit which take out gunman while 19 kids get murdered"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok, fair enough. What is your laundry list of ideas to fix the problem? You requested fixes, I laid out 9, you agreed with 1. Let's see your list.
    I would like to see high tech security systems on all schools. We have the technology. AI monitors everywhere. Auto locking doors perimeter and classrooms. The second a gun is detected the system goes on lockdown, preferably before the shooter even goes into the school.

Have qualified security available not just fat rent-a -cops that couldn't cut it on a regular police force. It doesn't have to be oppressive. Secret Service does a great job of being there without being obviously militant.

I would like to see qualified psychologist/counselors in every school to speak to troubled students. Not just for potential shooters but potential suicides, etc. Their regular teachers know which kids are having trouble adjusting and can refer them to the counselors. Knowing someone cares that can talk to them could really help some of them.

I would like to see something where kids could anonymously report troubling things they see from other students on social media. Publicize it and emphasize they are helping the other student and not ratting on them.

I'm OK with raising the age to 21 to buy guns. I'm OK with extending the waiting period if it means better background checks and I'm ok with the checks including social media.

This would all be a good start.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He was law abiding, right up to the point where he wasn't.

smh.

"we can't do anything about this, it is just too hard"

off with that bull . We can and should do something. many things.

The right wing has been so captured by what what is essentially the gun manufacturing lobby propaganda arm (NRA) they have made it into a bizarro fetish.
    sooooo now what?
    What do you plan to do about it? I think you should spam the forum with your conservative core is blah blah blah picketing.

Of course you have to pay for it, and it covers the cost of the facilities, courses and mental health professionals. It will be expensive, it will discriminate against lower income people, which is true for many many many things. That's the primary feature, not a bug. The more guns you own, the more expensive it is. Make gun ownership a high bar.
    Let's do the same with the 1A. You have to pay out the ass to exercise your cons utionally protected right. None of these "brilliant ideas" will ever see the light of day. You should focus on things that have the chance to get off the launchpad.
    Penalties can be negotiated. Inherited guns might be an exception.

Penalties can be negotiated. Escalate for repeat offenders, just like any other law i.e. DUI
    Someone willing to die doesn't give a about new laws. How many laws were broken that day? Well, it wasn't illegal for a person of legal age without a criminal record to purchase a semiauto firearm. It was illegal to shoot his grandmother, probably broke a few more laws by fleeing then plenty in the elementary school. What laws he broke had zero deterrent. He remained until they killed him and carried him out.

You either ban guns outright or live with the reality of this America. Yes that's the options, you can pretend these other feel good laws would make a difference but they won't.
    I'm not a hunter or an expert in this field, so leave the actual numbers to negotiation based on ammo type. What's the most 12 gauge rounds you can put in a shotgun? Probably not 30 and fire them off 1 per second. I assume you prairie dog hunt with a low caliber round like a 22. Can buy more of those that .223s that shred and explode organs and limbs coming out of an AR-15. I'm sure we can make a distinction between hunting rounds and non-hunting rounds. Penalties to be negotiated
    No you cannot. .223 is a varmint round. People are shooting prairie dogs at several hundred yards, not with a .22LR. Every caliber using in a centerfire rifle is a hunting cartridge. It's not the ammo or the shooting platform that defines the use, but the shooter. Subguns are already heavily regulated and not manufactured for sale in the US to civilians. An AR-15 is a semiauto rifle with a detachable magazine. You can get the same capacity magazine for the .22LR and kill the same amount of defenseless people that idiot killed. This is why I say you folks who don't know anything about guns or gun laws should probably avoid trying to solve issues through legislation. You don't know the problem, you don't know the solution and you don't know the parts in between.
    Purchasing. If you're under 21 and supervised by a parent, guardian, or authorized gun owner no issue.
    Then you need to raise the age of eligibility for selective service. I'm all for needing to be 26 to own a firearm. Owning the gun isn't a caveat to mass shooting. (let's face it, today's 26 year old is mentally on par with yesterday's 21 year old).
    Feature, not a bug. Make gun ownership a high-bar.
    Dude worked at BK and had about 3800 worth of hardware and ammo. Pretty sure the cost wasn't the issue. "High bar" shouldn't be financial. It should be things like gun safety and mental wellness. Background checks on social media would be good and have stopped a lot of gun purchases. Just look for people who claim they want to shoot up schools. Maybe take them at their word just as if they said they want to kill the POTUS.
    While not preventative, it will reduce casualties
    Strike down the 2A. Remove due process as well and get rid of laws that prevent law enforcement from performing privacy invasive investigations. Create a hotline for prospective shooter tips and follow up on them. Confiscate all firearms and only reissue from government agency to direct owner without any permission to resell. All firearm commerce should only be from FFL to buyer and the national gun registry should be in effect. You should not be able to purchase ammo without a license showing the registered weapon you intend to use the ammo for and it must be registered to the one buying the ammo. Strike down the NFA.

If you cannot take any of these actions you don't stand a chance. The system in place has legal loopholes for everything else you suggested. You have to go for the brass ring.

I'm not surprised that others agreed with you, they also know nothing about existing laws or about the firearms facts they seem to think are irrelevant, like trying to differentiate between hunting and "military style" guns. Once you drop that red herring you folks have been chasing for decades, you'll see it's not a legit distinction.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would like to see high tech security systems on all schools. We have the technology. AI monitors everywhere. Auto locking doors perimeter and classrooms. The second a gun is detected the system goes on lockdown, preferably before the shooter even goes into the school.

Have qualified security available not just fat rent-a -cops that couldn't cut it on a regular police force. It doesn't have to be oppressive. Secret Service does a great job of being there without being obviously militant.

I would like to see qualified psychologist/counselors in every school to speak to troubled students. Not just for potential shooters but potential suicides, etc. Their regular teachers know which kids are having trouble adjusting and can refer them to the counselors. Knowing someone cares that can talk to them could really help some of them.

I would like to see something where kids could anonymously report troubling things they see from other students on social media. Publicize it and emphasize they are helping the other student and not ratting on them.

I'm OK with raising the age to 21 to buy guns. I'm OK with extending the waiting period if it means better background checks and I'm ok with the checks including social media.

This would all be a good start.
    That sounds like way more than they actually spend on education itself. Where would the funding come from?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is zero chance that Splits suggestions get implemented and I explained why, and you and Splits wish list is the functional equivalent of "thoughts and prayers".
    You may be right that they could never get implemented, but your reason for why was laughably re ed. Your claim that race-card SJW's would block it was just your way of avoiding admitting that they have no chance of passing because Republicans oppose every attempt at reasonable gun control.

Thread Information