Page 10 of 134 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast
    Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Targeting Jalen Smith is way more the Spurs. I would be shocked to see them drop a bag for Ayton. Trading Dejounte to get picks and OO from Atlanta, oddly, sounds more realistic than Ayton, but still very low chance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ayton is a no-brainer max candidate for a team starving for legit talent like the Spurs. DJ/Keldon/Vassell are all due for big raises soon so utilizing the cap space while they have it is critical.

I'd do a S&T trade just to keep PHX from matching: Poetl/McDermott/Tre/1st should get it done

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ayton is a no-brainer max candidate for a team starving for legit talent like the Spurs. DJ/Keldon/Vassell are all due for big raises soon so utilizing the cap space while they have it is critical.

I'd do a S&T trade just to keep PHX from matching: Poetl/McDermott/Tre/1st should get it done
    Lonnie doesn't seem like a bad fit for the Suns either. Some bench scoring for them plus Poetl and a 1st sounds like a respectable return. I'd like to hang onto Tre if possible. McD means nothing to me and if they're going to have trouble retaining Cam... he might be a consideration as well.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Remember that as a poison pill contract, they can only take 1/2 the outgoing salary back. So that's ~16 million; Poeltl + 1 of Langford/Lonnie/A rookie seems to fit the money better. I'd try not to give them a first either; they are a bit over a barrel here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just lurked a some knicks threads and many of their fans are chomping at the bit to give away 3-4 picks for DJ. Not saying we should do this, but clearly the fans like him over Brunson.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just lurked a some knicks threads and many of their fans are chomping at the bit to give away 3-4 picks for DJ. Not saying we should do this, but clearly the fans like him over Brunson.
    He is much better then Brunson. This is why I dont understand why the the Spurs are even willing to trade him. Whoever gets him will get better so the first we get back will probably mid to later first rd.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An IMO, best possible case (but actually realistic) for this FA period.

Ayton (4 year max; starting at $32M I think) S&T for Poeltl + Langford + maybe a 2024 FRP (protected 1-4)
    No, I don't see PHX getting more than this, between the teams that have the space to make a max offer, his poison-pill status restricting them to taking 1/2 the salary back, and assorted burned bridges between him and PHX (not max'ing him last offseason, whatever happened in Gm 7).

John Collins ($23.5M + raises, 4 years remaining) Trade for McDermott + J Rich + FRP (when and what protections uncertain ???)
    Yes, it has gotten bad enough between the ATL and Collins that he's out of there, and everyone knows it, so they're not getting a ton. They may look to further move McDermott or J Rich, depending on what they can get...

C: Ayton/Z Collins/ Landale
    PF: J Collins /Sochan / KBD / Barlow (2 way, G League)
    Wings: Vassel/ Keldon/ Primo / Branham/ Weiskamp / Wesley (G-League)
    PG: DJ / Tre

Bring in a cheap 3ed string PG and maybe another wing. (Bring back Lonnie on the cheap, maybe?? Or, much less palatably, recycle Forbes again, trying make another 2nd round pick from him?)

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An IMO, best possible case (but actually realistic) for this FA period.

Ayton (4 year max; starting at $32M I think) S&T for Poeltl + Langford + maybe a 2024 FRP (protected 1-4)
    No, I don't see PHX getting more than this, between the teams that have the space to make a max offer, his poison-pill status restricting them to taking 1/2 the salary back, and assorted burned bridges between him and PHX (not max'ing him last offseason, whatever happened in Gm 7).

John Collins ($23.5M + raises, 4 years remaining) Trade for McDermott + J Rich + FRP (when and what protections uncertain ???)
    Yes, it has gotten bad enough between the ATL and Collins that he's out of there, and everyone knows it, so they're not getting a ton. They may look to further move McDermott or J Rich, depending on what they can get...

C: Ayton/Z Collins/ Landale
    PF: J Collins /Sochan / KBD / Barlow (2 way, G League)
    Wings: Vassel/ Keldon/ Primo / Branham/ Weiskamp / Wesley (G-League)
    PG: DJ / Tre

Bring in a cheap 3ed string PG and maybe another wing. (Bring back Lonnie on the cheap, maybe?? Or, much less palatably, recycle Forbes again, trying make another 2nd round pick from him?)
    You aren't getting either Ayton or Collins on the cheap.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why S&T with Phoenix? We have the cap space.

Ayton at 32 million is worth it only if he comes as a FA. Premium you pay to get a good player for free.
    But Ayton at 32 million isn't worth it if you also have to give up Jakob who is a huge asset this offseason and some more on top of that. That's just helping Phoenix for no reason.

Getting Ayton as a FA means we can get someone like OG (wasn't Toronto interested in Jakob at the deadline?) who's also unhappy or more picks etc. Not worth it if it's just Ayton at the expense of Jakob.
    Unless PATFO really wants him.

Just throw the max and him and put them into a lose-lose situation.
    Either they're stuck with a disgruntled player or they let him walk. the Suns.

If they match, no big deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is much better then Brunson. This is why I dont understand why the the Spurs are even willing to trade him. Whoever gets him will get better so the first we get back will probably mid to later first rd.
    I agree. And I don't believe we've seen DJ's best yet either.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can sign ayton straight up right? Sign and trade is just being nice. Why do we have to give picks?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can there be a 3 team trade between spurs, suns, and hawks?

To Spurs: John Collins
    To Suns: Capela & Josh Richardson
    To Hawks: Ayton & Doug McDermott

Maybe picks somewhere in the deal?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can there be a 3 team trade between spurs, suns, and hawks?

To Spurs: John Collins
    To Suns: Capela & Josh Richardson
    To Hawks: Ayton & Doug McDermott

Maybe picks somewhere in the deal?
    I know Collins shoots it better than Sochan, but doesn't drafting Sochan suggest diminishing interest in someone like Collins post draft. I don't think the interest is there now tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can sign ayton straight up right? Sign and trade is just being nice. Why do we have to give picks?
    Exactly my point, we don't.

Ayton as a free agent = worth it, because we can flip Jakob for a pick or another good player then.
    Ayton in S&T = not worth it.

Throw the max at him and put Phoenix into a lose-lose situation. They match, just walk away. It's not like we must sign Ayton.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know Collins shoots it better than Sochan, but doesn't drafting Sochan suggest diminishing interest in someone like Collins post draft. I don't think the interest is there now tbh.
    I would agree, but knowing the spurs they’re not gonna roll Sochan out there in his rookie season. If we keep what we have currently will be seeing Keldon and McDermott at the 4 most of time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs rolled out Vassell and Primo during their rookie seasons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure if true but I read that Pop really likes Deandre Hunter. Thinks he can be their Kawhi Leonard. Maybe that’s what the Spurs are trying to get in the 3 way deal (send Collins somewhere else) including picks for Murray.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs rolled out Vassell and Primo during their rookie seasons.
    Ehhh Forbes was playing ahead of Primo in several games last season lol Dev did play a decent amount his rookie season but he was more polished coming in imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seems like the big question is whether or not Sochan will get the regular g league treatment we are used to seeing. I believe that Sochan may be the rare draftee that is NBA ready enough even for Pop considering his strengths are all on the defensive end. Would not shock me at all to see Sochan starting by November. He has the tools. But yea, much to my disliking, he could def get that same treatment. I hope not however.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wtf do you mean by roll out then? I didnt say he started the whole season. But they did give him a clear role by mid season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no, because the Spurs only have 1 PF on the roster and need 2 in the rotation. Besides that Sochan can't shoot the 3 well enough and you can actually play him together with Collins in a small ball line up that would probably be one of the best in the league. Spurs should definitely try to get Collins

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does CHA have the cap room to match a Collins-like deal for Bridges? Would rather have Miles than Collins tbh, tho rumor is DET will throw max at Miles

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You aren't getting either Ayton or Collins on the cheap.
    Both of them are distressed assets Rascal; neither PHX nor ATL are gonna see the value they want. They're in Kwitter-esque positions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the modern NBA, paying a center a max contract unless he has some premium skills a la Jokic/ Embiid is just a waste of money. Ayton is a good player, but he is no premium guy to be paid the max. Spurs are better off continuing with Poeltl and utilising the next opportunity to land a FA with cap space and talent intact. Who knows, Durant might want to play for Pop and take on the Warriors to finally set his legacy, maybe in 2023-24.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure if true but I read that Pop really likes Deandre Hunter. Thinks he can be their Kawhi Leonard. Maybe that’s what the Spurs are trying to get in the 3 way deal (send Collins somewhere else) including picks for Murray.

They want to get rid of Collins to make room for Hunter

Thread Information