Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers need at least 4 first round picks to make this deal happen. They only got 2. It's not happening. Poeltl and J-Rich are worth a first round pick each by themselves and Brooklyn is not gonna take a pile of garbage for Irving. End of story
    Poetl is worth a first and more. Don't really see anyone giving the Spurs a first for Richardson's scrub ass though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poetl is worth a first and more. Don't really see anyone giving the Spurs a first for Richardson's scrub ass though.
    Thad Young. We got a first for Thad young’s corpse.

JRich won’t elicit a FRP from just anyone, but to a contender, a guy who can shoot, defend, and is a good locker room guy is worth more than their 20+ position FRP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not to nitpick but technically we moved like 12 spots up and had to take a salary dump of Dragic for Young , so to say they got a first for him in a vacuum isnt correct

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    JRich won’t elicit a FRP from just anyone, but to a contender, a guy who can shoot, defend, and is a good locker room guy is worth more than their 20+ position FRP.
    This is possible, but it likely would require us showcasing him until the trade deadline, meaning our time available for youngsters (Primo, Branham, Wesley) will be reduced, and it may also push us away from a better pick next year. So what you gain on one hand from building up Poeltl & Richardson's value, you lose on the other. So if a reasonably good deal comes along now, it may be better than waiting until the trade deadline for a deal that might come or might not, and even if it does, it will do so at a cost.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs can probably flip a 2nd with Richardson into a first like they did with Young

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lakers need at least 4 first round picks to make this deal happen. They only got 2. It's not happening. Poeltl and J-Rich are worth a first round pick each by themselves and Brooklyn is not gonna take a pile of garbage for Irving. End of story
    They don't.
    1) Kyrie is a headcase with negative value to Brooklyn, who leaves for nothing in one year and will hurt them every second he stays there. Also, there's only ONE team willing to trade for him. Brooklyn's best ally is the Lakers desperation, but that only goes so far as the assets they can put together. They cannot put together what they don't have in the first place.
    2) People are fixated on black & white scenarios, when there's a range of possibilities that are not as costly. A third team involved willing to take Westbrook does not require cap space equivalent to his full salary, if they also send out players. So if the Lakers take back players from that third team, especially with undesirable contracts, you have more potential trade partners, and the leverage of any third team goes down significantly.
    So all things considered, I think people overestimate the leverage the Nets & other teams have on the Lakers, and also underestimate the Lakers margin to make this trade work. They have more than enough to make it work, but everybody is speculating with the urgency of others, and whomever is forced to make the first move will likely end up the loser, be that the Lakers because of internal -LeBron- / external -fans- pressure to make a move, or the Nets (because time runs out and/or Kyrie is eating them from within.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not to nitpick but technically we moved like 12 spots up and had to take a salary dump of Dragic for Young , so to say they got a first for him in a vacuum isnt correct
    We have a bushel of SRPs to throw at the problem, but I really feel that 28 YO JRich is more useful and valuable than 33 YO Thad Young.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They don't.
    1) Kyrie is a headcase with negative value to Brooklyn, who leaves for nothing in one year and will hurt them every second he stays there. Also, there's only ONE team willing to trade for him. Brooklyn's best ally is the Lakers desperation, but that only goes so far as the assets they can put together. They cannot put together what they don't have in the first place.
    2) People are fixated on black & white scenarios, when there's a range of possibilities that are not as costly. A third team involved willing to take Westbrook does not require cap space equivalent to his full salary, if they also send out players. So if the Lakers take back players from that third team, especially with undesirable contracts, you have more potential trade partners, and the leverage of any third team goes down significantly.
    So all things considered, I think people overestimate the leverage the Nets & other teams have on the Lakers, and also underestimate the Lakers margin to make this trade work. They have more than enough to make it work, but everybody is speculating with the urgency of others, and whomever is forced to make the first move will likely end up the loser, be that the Lakers because of internal -LeBron- / external -fans- pressure to make a move, or the Nets (because time runs out and/or Kyrie is eating them from within.
    The Spurs are in the drivers seat on this, because we can make other choices to monetize our cap space to one or more teams not in this particular trade, but I don’t believe anyone currently has more free cap room than us. BW seems willing to play and win at brinksmanship, based on his haul from ATL, 2 UFRPs, 1 FRP and the U pick swap for DJ. Posters here would have said someone who proposed that as a return for DJ was on crack.

We can monetize before the deadline:

Jak
    JRich
    cap room

For that in total, we should be able to pull 4 FRPs. Absolutely do NOT include Jak or JRich in any LAL/BKN trade. They have separate value that you’d be throwing into the pot, reducing/offsetting your return. Shove McD at them by force.

This trade does not HAVE to happen, which is something most here don’t realize. They’re not collaborating. It’s a business, and deals fall through every day.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, "a first" is not some black-or-white statement. Protections matter as well as the projected team strength when the pick conveys. That's why a 2027 unprotected first from a team that is decent to good now is probably more valuable than the same pick in 2023: more theta value.

Moving up 12 spots is different than an outright pick. It's still a significant rise, though. The salary swap aspect was neutral to the Spurs because neither Young nor Dragic was in their plans. Maybe even a slight positive because Young played some minutes that could have gone to younger players, while Dragic was immediately waived.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thad Young. We got a first for Thad young’s corpse.

Young is a more versatile and more efficient player than Richardson.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://heavy.com/sports/dallas-mave...e-rumors-nets/
    Latest on a Potential Jakob Poeltl Trade

You might want to tap the breaks on any Jakob Poeltl trade talk — if not stop the car entirely and put it in park.

There was the sense when San Antonio traded away Dejounte Murray for Danilo Gallinari (since waived), three first-round picks and a potential pick swap that the club is going for a severe tear-down and rebuild. Teams have come knocking at the Spurs’ door looking to acquire present talent for future reward (first round picks and developmental pieces).

But those teams have found the door isn’t quite as open as they may expect — particularly when it comes to the 7-1 Poeltl, who truly came into his own this year, averaging 13.5 points and 9.3 rebounds in a relatively modest 29.0 minutes per game.

One general manager told Heavy Sports, “The sense we got is that, yes, they’re rebuilding, but they don’t want to burn the thing to the ground and start from there. Poeltl’s the kind of guy that can give them a solid presence inside and make things better from a compe ive standpoint when you’re trying to develop the guys who are going to be out there with him.”

There’s also the fact that Poeltl is 26 and is himself still developing. The Spurs would obviously not want to see him grow into something even more prominent elsewhere.

“We looked into it,” another league exec said. “The sense we got is that they ain’t moving him.”

Which isn’t to say that San Antonio wouldn’t deal Poeltl for the right price. It’s just that said price would have to be quite high.

Teams were interested in Poeltl at this past February’s in-season trade deadline, but found a heavy ask from the Spurs in the range of a rotation player and a first round pick.

Considering Poeltl’s averages improved after the deadline to 14.2 points on 62.7 percent shooting and 9.9 rebounds (in 29.3 minutes), the ask is presumably even higher now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Makes no sense to hold on to Jacob especially after Trading Murray.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess the Spurs' idea is to not completely bottom out, just to play "solid" basketball while not pushing for a playoff spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Putting a high price tag on Poeltl while not calling him untouchable is the right way to go. You always want to start your negotiations high, and Wright has shown that he is willing to hold out for what he thinks is a good deal. Getting that 2028 pick swap from Boston thrown in is an example of that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keeping Poeltl is the only right move. The team isn't tearing it down to the tacks. This is pretty clear and anyone who thought so (including other teams' execs) were completely wrong. The young players need good structure on and off the court. On the court? This means a strong inside defensive presence that Poeltl brings. Developing young wings with a guy with brittle feet and an ancient Giorgiu Dieng as your two bigs is a recipe for disaster.

The truth is firming up that Dejounte was squeezing his way out the door eventually so he could go rain money at skanky Atlanta strip clubs. The team did him and themselves the favor by trading him - for a good haul.

Now, if someone wants to drop a bunch of picks on Poeltl right now, the story changes. Trading him for a single pick right now doesn't make sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keeping Poeltl is the only right move. The team isn't tearing it down to the tacks. This is pretty clear and anyone who thought so (including other teams' execs) were completely wrong. The young players need good structure on and off the court. On the court? This means a strong inside defensive presence that Poeltl brings. Developing young wings with a guy with brittle feet and an ancient Giorgiu Dieng as your two bigs is a recipe for disaster.

The truth is firming up that Dejounte was squeezing his way out the door eventually so he could go rain money at skanky Atlanta strip clubs. The team did him and themselves the favor by trading him - for a good haul.

Now, if someone wants to drop a bunch of picks on Poeltl right now, the story changes. Trading him for a single pick right now doesn't make sense.
    I like the way you think.

Trading Dejounte could very well have been more a case of selling high than starting an intentional tank.

Technically a single pick could be worth trading Poeltl for, but no team bad enough to still be bad after getting him is going to trade an unprotected or lightly protected pick for him, or trade for him at all most likely.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Teams were interested in Poeltl at this past February’s in-season trade deadline, but found a heavy ask from the Spurs in the range of a rotation player and a first round pick."

This doesn't make sense to me. Why would the Spurs want a rotation player? I could understand getting a guy with potential, or 2 first round picks; but a current rotation player makes no sense for what the Spurs should be aiming for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Teams were interested in Poeltl at this past February’s in-season trade deadline, but found a heavy ask from the Spurs in the range of a rotation player and a first round pick."

This doesn't make sense to me. Why would the Spurs want a rotation player? I could understand getting a guy with potential, or 2 first round picks; but a current rotation player makes no sense for what the Spurs should be aiming for.
    That was last February when they were not tanking. Since I still don't think they're tanking they may be looking along the same lines.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You changed your mind about Murray getting traded.

You were one of the ones crying the loudest about him being traded.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Nets don’t want Russ. If they did, they could just do the straight deal with the Lakers.
    No one does, but Russ on a min deal after a buyout is much different.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

yeah he is flip flopping. Murray at a strip club has Spurs fans vexed. A young, rich, single, and hard working dude went to a strip club to enjoy the fruits of his labour. DJ doesn’t even drink. Just wanted to see some s and ass and chop it up in his new city.

Sochan might be at a drag bar dancing in a neon green thong and I wouldn’t give a …

The cultural fit BS should be that you are good at what you are paid to do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Trading Murray was a mistake and we'll pay for it. The team, as I continue to say, needs structure and clearly they're going to be ed without someone who can bring it over the timeline and initiate the offense. He could easily be traded next year or S&T after. But whatever, what's done is done.

Trading Poeltl after trading Murray would increase the disaster. We have ball handlers who can sort of cover. We have no one who can make up for the loss of Poeltl, esp. since we wouldn't get anything commensurate to what he's worth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trading Murray was a mistake and we'll pay for it. The team, as I continue to say, needs structure and clearly they're going to be ed without someone who can bring it over the timeline and initiate the offense. He could easily be traded next year or S&T after. But whatever, what's done is done.

Trading Poeltl after trading Murray would increase the disaster. We have ball handlers who can sort of cover. We have no one who can make up for the loss of Poeltl, esp. since we wouldn't get anything commensurate to what he's worth.
    So weird. Almost like they know we'll have less wins, but traded him anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So weird. Almost like they know we'll have less wins, but traded him anyway.
    The amount of wins is immaterial. You people are obsessed over that part of it. I'm talking about how to develop young players. If they can't even get into sets and the offense is a mess - or, with Poeltl, they have no rim protector helping them, or a good screener, etc. - how are you expecting them to get to where they need to go?

Thread Information