Page 35 of 93 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s definitely improving. once he gets a reliable shot in a few years watch out

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not just a shot, but once he learns the pro game he's going to be a handful.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hes already a handful

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not just a shot, but once he learns the pro game he's going to be a handful.
    Dip definitely beat Sochan with his veteran bag of tricks, savvy and strength.

Once Sochan really learns people's tendencies and gains strength that likely won't be the case (as often).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Once Sochan really learns people's tendencies and gains strength that likely won't be the case (as often).
    Yes! Kawhi is twelve years older than Sochan! Jeremy is not even twenty yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes! Kawhi is twelve years older than Sochan! Jeremy is not even twenty yet.
    Yeah, I agree. I think his ceiling is a mix of Draymond Green and Pascal Siakam.

And I just selfishly wanted Nephew to have a game and get punked by a rookie. When he's (rarely) healthy he is unfortunately still a handful (especially for a lesser talented team like us).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m really happy we picked this kid, I had high expectations for him and so far he’s even better than I thought. Sky is the limit !

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I agree. I think his ceiling is a mix of Draymond Green and Pascal Siakam.

And I just selfishly wanted Nephew to have a game and get punked by a rookie. When he's (rarely) healthy he is unfortunately still a handful (especially for a lesser talented team like us).
    Got this from a Twitter thread about ADavis: the best ability is availability.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's important to remember that he's 19. I remember when they used to preach that bigs don't hit their stride until they've been in the league for 4 or 5 years, and that's after coming in at 21 or 22 years old. I think we expect a lot of these young kids when they're still developing. Sochan is playing at a really level for someone who can't even buy a beer for a couple of years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's important to remember that he's 19. I remember when they used to preach that bigs don't hit their stride until they've been in the league for 4 or 5 years, and that's after coming in at 21 or 22 years old. I think we expect a lot of these young kids when they're still developing. Sochan is playing at a really level for someone who can't even buy a beer for a couple of years.
    Nor have a glass of wine in a restaurant.
    I really like the at ude he has .
    I know he'll get stronger which will really help.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My guess is he plays him much better the next time we play the Clips.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Rudy Gay butt ed Kawhi as a rook. That didn’t turn into any kind of trend.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rudy Gay butt ed Kawhi as a rook. That didn’t turn into any kind of trend.
    I think he's still going to have trouble with nephew,
    Just not strong enough currently

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My question is more whether Neph will last the whole season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he's still going to have trouble with nephew,
    Just not strong enough currently
    No question.
    He's a 19 year old young man with zero NBA experience except for him going willy-nilly this season.

Kawhi has seasons of learning from the best under his belt and has built his body.
    Dude has a large bag of tricks and Sochan is just a wild pony at this point.

Sochan at Year 3 is going to look vastly different than Year 1, given his want-to to learn, adapt and succeed.
    Same goes for Kawhi as his brittle body ages.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Qualitatively, I'm please with Sochan. He's improving at a decent clip, and he has a lot of room to grow. His increased success shooting free throws suggests his scoring might go up substantially. Quan atively, him grading out as a below-average defender is worrying. As mentioned, most good defenders come into the league good. Most of the guys who eventually get the rep of being good actually never grade out that well. They just start making some impact plays or having some aesthetically pleasing highlights. You can sort of stop being a negative with training, but without really looking into why Sochan hasn't been effective on defense, I'm pessimistic on him taking a huge leap there. Offense legit can increase as a player grows, so I don't worry about him at all there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Qualitatively, I'm please with Sochan. He's improving at a decent clip, and he has a lot of room to grow. His increased success shooting free throws suggests his scoring might go up substantially. Quan atively, him grading out as a below-average defender is worrying. As mentioned, most good defenders come into the league good. Most of the guys who eventually get the rep of being good actually never grade out that well. They just start making some impact plays or having some aesthetically pleasing highlights. You can sort of stop being a negative with training, but without really looking into why Sochan hasn't been effective on defense, I'm pessimistic on him taking a huge leap there. Offense legit can increase as a player grows, so I don't worry about him at all there.
    I savvy.
    Just, as a 19 year old kid who never even started for his college team... I'm willing to give him some benefit as he's phillying it up on the court this year before passing historical judgement over players that generally have come in with more than he has.

Maybe you're right and probably are.
    Maybe he's too young and barely getting into the groove on both ends to say anything.

What we do know is that he's willing and able to try and go for whatever he has to with no fear.

That counts.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many 19-YOs start in the frontcourt for NBA teams? Even Jak's defensive metrics are considerably down since they're tanking. I think Sochan still has a lot of upside on both ends, and I wouldn't worry about grading him yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think this is a pretty legitimate concern. On the other hand, I haven't seen a 19 year old be assigned to guard 1-4 like him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think most rookies guard the other team’s best player nightly regardless of position. In today’s NBA those people are mostly unguardable. That has to hurt statistically. Although it definitely could be me just looking at it through Spurs-colored glasses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where does the idea that Sochan is a bad defender come from?

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's difficult to play good defense in the NBA anymore. The league has completely deprioritized it, other than making an emphasis on charging calls, which is stupid in its own way. As for Sochan being a bad defender, it feels like Chinook got on a roll. I do think it's a paradox that we have good defenders yet our team defense is horrible, but I also feel confident that if many of these players were on better teams, then we wouldn't have the same concerns about their individual defense. Sochan is probably overeager as a defender, but it's not something I'm worried about at this point.

Doc
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From what I've seen of Sochan, and I've focused on him a lot watching games this year, he does have a way to go to be a consistently good defender. I often see him a half step slow, or getting caught a bit with his head turned, leading to a good play for the opposing team. He's not really a fast-twitch athlete and he doesn't have a crazy motor like some guys, and I think it shows at times, on defense and also rebounding, getting after loose balls, etc. He does noticeably have a second gear, and the ability to crank it up in clutch situations, which is encouraging. My hunch is he is overall just taking things in, learning, focusing on playing proper team defense, and making rookie mistakes. Once he is fully comfortable in the scheme and with the pro game, and knows more about the tendencies of the players he's facing, I expect that his defensive IQ will shine.

Thread Information