Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Well you might have a point with USC, but Ohio State has more talent than both Notre Dame and Nebraska. I mean your comparing a team that has won a National Championship, and has finished in the top 5 5 out of the last 6 years. They are in the National le hunt every year.

I mean say what you want about the Big 10, but they still win bowl games. We got killed in the NCFCG last year I know, but Wisconsin, the 3rd best in the Big 10 last year, beat the second best team in the SEC last year. We gave Texas all they could handle in 2005, with our backup QB nontheless. We have lost one bowl game since 2002, and both Big 12 schools we played got run out of the stadium (even though they finished higher in the Big 12 than we did in the Big 10)

Ohio State plays USC in week 2 next year, and I'm sure of 2 things: 1)OSU will not get blown out, they might not win, but they won't be blown out and 2) even if we do win, it will not be enough for people to diminish their accomplishments. It will be like last year when we went into Texas and beat Texas. People act like that game meant nothing because Texas wasn't that good.

If tOSU won that game vs. Florida, we all know this argument never arises.
    Nice job bringing up past year arguments, as if it has any relevence on this season. Sure you've lost only 1 bowl game since 2002, but if you go back to say, 1990, you can add 8 more losses onto that. Selective history.

The Big 12 has also gathered impressive bowl wins against the Big 10 in general, such as Texas over Iowa, Texas Tech over Minnesota last year and Nebraska over Michigan the year before.

The fact is, absolutely nothing you said took away from what Kansas has accomplished this season, and face it, the schedule they played is pretty similar to Ohio State's this year as none have faced anyone in the Top 30 yet.

I'm still trying to figure out how your game against USC got brought up into this conversation about Kansas.

Matter of fact, since I just thought of it, I went out and bought two tickets. $65 each for upper endzone via stub-hub.
    You got screwed. $60 is face value for those tickets, and are still available from the Box office or ticketmaster.

With that said, not here as much, but on other boards I see a lot of snobbery going on about Kansas. Sure they'll likely lose at Missouri or the big XII championship, WHICH IS PLAYED HERE IN SAN ANTONIO BTW, but it will be a great game. I'm definiately going to make that one.
    I think a lot has to do with the fact they haven't played much stiff compe ion and some having to do with their home/away schedule (and some to do with their talent, of course).

I did a check of LSU for comparison of teams they've not only beaten who were Top-25 at the time, but also the number of Top-25 teams those teams beat:

LSU

Top-25 record: 5-1
    Current Top-25 record: 4-1
    Top-25 record of teams they beat: 10-7

Kansas

Top-25 record: 1-0
    Current Top-25 record: 0-0
    Top-25 record of teams they beat: 2-12

Anyone having a no-loss record this point in the season has got to be good - no question - but you have to really put it in perspective how good they really are by the teams they've played and how those teams were/are stacked.

What also concerns me about Kansas is their narrow victories on the road against unranked teams (KSU was unranked at the time, but not now). An average MOV of 6pts isn't all that impressive against unranked teams on the road.

BTW, a good friend of mine is a Jayhawk alumnus, and, while he is proud of his team's accomplishments, he also understands that they are probably not at the same caliber as say tOSU, LSU, or even Oregon.

A VERY BAD man
    Post Count
    But that front end hype is justified. tOSU was ranked 12th at the start of the season I believe, not too high for a team that lost so many players to the NFL draft, and not too low for a team that was in the BCS championship game the year before and is filled with 4&5 star recruits. That's why people don't take teams like Kansas, Boise St, BC, and Rutgers seriously it's because we all know that there is a huge talent disparity beween those schools and the schools you mentioned that get hype.
    You'll get no argument from me on this.

A VERY BAD man
    Post Count
    I think a lot has to do with the fact they haven't played much stiff compe ion and some having to do with their home/away schedule (and some to do with their talent, of course).

I did a check of LSU for comparison of teams they've not only beaten who were Top-25 at the time, but also the number of Top-25 teams those teams beat:

LSU

Top-25 record: 5-1
    Current Top-25 record: 4-1
    Top-25 record of teams they beat: 10-7

Kansas

Top-25 record: 1-0
    Current Top-25 record: 0-0
    Top-25 record of teams they beat: 2-12

Anyone having a no-loss record this point in the season has got to be good - no question - but you have to really put it in perspective how good they really are by the teams they've played and how those teams were/are stacked.

What also concerns me about Kansas is their narrow victories on the road against unranked teams (KSU was unranked at the time, but not now). An average MOV of 6pts isn't all that impressive against unranked teams on the road.

BTW, a good friend of mine is a Jayhawk alumnus, and, while he is proud of his team's accomplishments, he also understands that they are probably not at the same caliber as say tOSU, LSU, or even Oregon.
    Yeah but understand if they beat #6 Mizz and #5 OU, that legitimizes them and my money is, they'll get the nod. LSU, with help from Les Miles, is actually lucky not to have 3 losses. The recent near loss to bama at home comes to mind...

A VERY BAD man
    Post Count
    You got screwed. $60 is face value for those tickets, and are still available from the Box office or ticketmaster.
    I didn't buy 500, I bought 2.

GTL: Gym, Tan, Laundry Thunder Dan's Avatar
    My Team
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Post Count
    Nice job bringing up past year arguments, as if it has any relevence on this season. Sure you've lost only 1 bowl game since 2002, but if you go back to say, 1990, you can add 8 more losses onto that. Selective history.

The Big 12 has also gathered impressive bowl wins against the Big 10 in general, such as Texas over Iowa, Texas Tech over Minnesota last year and Nebraska over Michigan the year before.

The fact is, absolutely nothing you said took away from what Kansas has accomplished this season, and face it, the schedule they played is pretty similar to Ohio State's this year as none have faced anyone in the Top 30 yet.

I'm still trying to figure out how your game against USC got brought up into this conversation about Kansas.
    I'm just simply saying that Ohio State and Kansas are rated exactly where they should be on talent alone. Man that 76 spot put a big up your ass

I'm your huckleberry K-State Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    Kansas State Wildcats
    Post Count
    Their smallest margin of victory so far at home is by 32 points. I would think that qualifies as 'near unstoppable'.

4 of those victories were over teams that EVERYBODY in the Big 12 would have rolled. The fifth was against Baylor, who the other 11 teams in this conference would roll at home.

The margin of victory over UNL is really the only thing to be [mildly] impressed about. And bear in mind, the KU defense struggled to stop the Huskers from scoring in that game as well.

They're not a great team. They're a good to very good team that has played a favorable schedule and has yet to encounter any adversity.

Remember, K-State/Colorado/A&M (3 victories that don't look as impressive today as they did at the time) ALL had the ball with an opportunity to beat KU on their final drives.

My Team
    Kansas State Wildcats
    Post Count
    I'm just simply saying that Ohio State and Kansas are rated exactly where they should be on talent alone. Man that 76 spot put a big up your ass
    who cares about talent alone? because florida state & miami are still loaded with 4 & 5 star recruits, should we throw them in the top 10?

GTL: Gym, Tan, Laundry Thunder Dan's Avatar
    My Team
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    Post Count
    who cares about talent alone? because florida state & miami are still loaded with 4 & 5 star recruits, should we throw them in the top 10?
    well we saw how the talent level of Florida St. matched up with the talent level of BC this weekend and Miami against A&M earlier in the year.

4 of those victories were over teams that EVERYBODY in the Big 12 would have rolled. The fifth was against Baylor, who the other 11 teams in this conference would roll at home.

The margin of victory over UNL is really the only thing to be [mildly] impressed about. And bear in mind, the KU defense struggled to stop the Huskers from scoring in that game as well.

They're not a great team. They're a good to very good team that has played a favorable schedule and has yet to encounter any adversity.

Remember, K-State/Colorado/A&M (3 victories that don't look as impressive today as they did at the time) ALL had the ball with an opportunity to beat KU on their final drives.

All I said was that they have been 'nearly unstoppable' at home SO FAR. Read my other posts and you'll see that you are in agreement with me about everything else regarding them.

Yeah but understand if they beat #6 Mizz and #5 OU, that legitimizes them and my money is, they'll get the nod. LSU, with help from Les Miles, is actually lucky not to have 3 losses. The recent near loss to bama at home comes to mind...
    That's a pretty big "IF". I think they MAY have a chance against Mizzou, since they are playing at home. OU would simply derail them, but stranger things have happened in the B12 championship.

Regardless of whether LSU may have escaped a loss or two - they WON. And that was against a LOT stronger compe ion than Kansas has played thus far.

A VERY BAD man
    Post Count
    LSU still has to go through and SEC champ game as well. Who knows what will happen. Although I like LSU and was rooting for them, they are so frickin' unpredictable. My hope for Kansas is nothing more than rooting for an underdog and against OU. I have to justify it somehow. Of course, no justification is needed to hate the Sooners but I have to do a little bit of acrobatics to hate LSU.

My Team
    Kansas State Wildcats
    Post Count

All I said was that they have been 'nearly unstoppable' at home SO FAR. Read my other posts and you'll see that you are in agreement with me about everything else regarding them.
    actually, you said that they "are" near unstoppable. nonetheless, reading the rest of your posts, it does appear that we are in agreement on this particular topic. no reason to argue semantics.

Beanie Wells for Heisman! SanAntonioBuckeye's Avatar
    Post Count
    If KU makes it through the rest of their schedule + Big 12 le game undefeated then they deserve a shot at the national le.
    I agree...

A VERY BAD man
    Post Count
    The bandwagon is filling up fast. Get on board while you can.

Thread Information