San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ian Mahinmi | PF/C
    Born: Nov 5, 1986
    Height: 6-11 / 2,11
    Weight: 230 lbs. / 104,3 kg.
    Years Pro: 1

info
    Last edited by Bruno; 08-28-2010 at 04:48 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I expect a lot from this guy next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

One of the forgotten subplots of this season is that Mahinmi was taken out of the equation. Pop said he planned to play him 40+ minutes per game during the preseason. If he would have played well, he may have started at center.

How highly the Spurs rate Mahinmi makes a big difference on the summer plans. If they see him as a rotation big, that makes it a lot easier to go after a swingman via trade or free agency. If they see him as a question mark, then they will proceed like normal. If they see him as a wasted roster spot, they may try to salary dump him.

Hopefully Mahinmi plays in summer league and gives a better effort than we saw last year.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    when he played in summer league, it felt like he was elson 2.0, not very promising. but unlike elson, he's still young and has room to improve. all the spurs need from him is limited offense, rebounding and shotblocking, which shouldn't be too hard considering his size and athleticism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He can't play in the D league anymore if he is under contract, correct?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if this guy fails in the summer, or get another stupid injury.....should just give up on him and look for someone else.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully Mahinmi plays in summer league and gives a better effort than we saw last year.
    or maybe he'll play with the french NT

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A Mahinmi who can contribute next season certainly would enhance the Spurs' bigman rotation. He definitely would improve the frontcourt's athleticism. I haven't looked at what his D-League stats project to in the NBA. He certainly fits the mold of the bigman you would want in the rotation, running with TP on breaks and finishing/cleaning up the glass. We'll soon find out if Presti's legacy includes another French masterpiece.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    or maybe he'll play with the french NT
    I doubt he will be chosen to play with the NT.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is a potential starter to me. If he can stay injury free this year. Ian has had plenty of time learning our system so in that aspect he should be fine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope he goes off in preseason. What month does that start, anyways?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope he goes off in preseason. What month does that start, anyways?
    october

hope hes at least a poor mans KG

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    fwiw David Thorpe is keen on Mahinmi. Thinks he's got the goods to be stick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we desperately need Mahinmi to stay healthy and contribute..

cheap contract, and it would allow us to take a chance on Rasheed..we need a young, athletic, energetic big man to off-set the age of Duncan and potentially a guy like 'Sheed, so Ian needs to be that guy..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he can just give us the sort of impact that Samuel Dalembert (best-case scenario) provides Philadelphia or Chris Andersen (worst-case scenario) gives Denver that would be enough. With Splitter possibly coming over in the summer of '10, Oberto's likely departure or retirement and the pursuit of Rasheed Wallace imminent, this could likely be Ian's last chance as a Spur.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Byrdman is the worst case scenario, I'm stoked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Byrdman is the worst case scenario, I'm stoked.
    That's what I'm hoping that we get from Ian, but someone like ChumpDumper could give us an indication if he's got the skillset to provide that sort of impact.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Man I seroiusly hope this dude can at least have a chance to show his stuff next season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, Ian Mahinmi's worse case scenario is a worse version of Francisco Elson. Even best case scenario, he's nothing like Birdman. Birdman has been a great shot blocker this year. Mahinmi hasn't been a good shootblocker on any level.

As Mahinmi has evolved as a basketball player, he's become more of an offensive player. The best comparison I can use is Nazr plus athleticism and minus bulk and strength. He was raw before his injury and now after he'll basically have a year off of basketball, I expect him to be pretty damn raw when we see him in summer league.

Decent prospect but far away from being a classified as a sure-fire NBA player. Pops Mensah-Bonsu put up better stats in Mahinmi's role with the Toros ... and Pops himself probably isn't an NBA player.

If Mahinmi makes it, it will likely be due to improved offensive skill and his athleticism on defense making up for his lack of strength.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wtf, why have the Spurs been wasting so long on this french filet mignion then?

Eh?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wtf, why have the Spurs been wasting so long on this french filet mignion then?
    Idk, maybe timvp is just lowering our hopes, idk. What he said sounds really sensible though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone know when the Spurs have to commit to whether they pick up his 2010/11 option? If the Spurs are still high on him, I'm all for picking up his relatively cheap option. If he's going to be a bench warmer, I'd rather have the extra $2 million to play with in the summer of 2010.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Greg Oden of San Antonio. At least Oden plays lol

George Hill: 2-Guard NewJerSpur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So based on what I'm reading Ian won't be taking up the role of "Tim's Heir Apparent" anytime soon....downer. As much as we talk about the wing positions, it's a wonder we've gotten as far as we have with some much weight being on Duncan along the frontcourt. He has been loooong overdue to get some serious help.

Championships don't lie spursbird's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, Ian Mahinmi's worse case scenario is a worse version of Francisco Elson. Even best case scenario, he's nothing like Birdman. Birdman has been a great shot blocker this year. Mahinmi hasn't been a good shootblocker on any level.

As Mahinmi has evolved as a basketball player, he's become more of an offensive player. The best comparison I can use is Nazr plus athleticism and minus bulk and strength. He was raw before his injury and now after he'll basically have a year off of basketball, I expect him to be pretty damn raw when we see him in summer league.

Decent prospect but far away from being a classified as a sure-fire NBA player. Pops Mensah-Bonsu put up better stats in Mahinmi's role with the Toros ... and Pops himself probably isn't an NBA player.

If Mahinmi makes it, it will likely be due to improved offensive skill and his athleticism on defense making up for his lack of strength.
    But I remembered that his stat on defense(rebounds and blocks) looked very good in d-league.

Thread Information