Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's pretty damn good news for the Spurs. It sounds like Duncan is going to be flexible with his salary. If the Spurs can settle with the Diaw, Green, Lorbek, De Colo, Mills, etc. first before Duncan, they may be able to just give Duncan whatever is left over.

This also could indicate that Duncan will be very involved in the decision making this summer.
    What do you mean "give him what's left over?"

You mean the Spurs are going to make use of their cap room to sign their free agents and use what's left of it for Duncan?

Or do you mean use their cap room to sign free agents, and then use Duncan's Bird Rights to re-sign him?

If it's the latter, is that even allowed under the current CBA?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you mean "give him what's left over?"

You mean the Spurs are going to make use of their cap room to sign their free agents and use what's left of it for Duncan?

Or do you mean use their cap room to sign free agents, and then use Duncan's Bird Rights to re-sign him?

If it's the latter, is that even allowed under the current CBA?
    The Spurs don't have any cap room.

This is about the "apron" that is set 4M above the luxury tax threshold. Once a team uses more than the mini-MLE amount of the MLE, a de facto hard cap of 4M above the lux tax line is created.

That number figures to be about 74M. The Spurs have about 48M in current contracts. So "what's left over" is however much of that 26M that isn't used on the MLE, BAE, vet min contracts, and keeping Green and Mills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs don't have any cap room.

This is about the "apron" that is set 4M above the luxury tax threshold. Once a team uses more than the mini-MLE amount of the MLE, a de facto hard cap of 4M above the lux tax line is created.

That number figures to be about 74M. The Spurs have about 48M in current contracts. So "what's left over" is however much of that 26M that isn't used on the MLE, BAE, vet min contracts, and keeping Green and Mills.
    Oh, I see. Thanks for explaining.

Thread Information