Page 50 of 57 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051525354 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1415
    Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a good article but leans a bit heavy on the "failure" angle in a race that is far closer than anyone expected it to be, regardless of the candidates. The strategy from the get-go was to mobilize voters. That part has certainly succeeded, but it remains to be seen if it mobilized Republican voters just as much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ted Cruz is a real one

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Ted Cruz is a real one
    A real what?

I'm a loser
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like any Beto campaign staff is going to tell the opposite side what they will or will not do.

As I recall, Beto has done 2 separate town halls ever since Cruz got too scare to debate him. Both at a national level.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Felito got this easily...

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Felito got this easily...
    I think it’ll be within 1-2 percentage points, imo the pollsters don’t know how to factor in young voters who had never voted in midterms prior to this year.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I disagree with this article simply because trying to run as a lukewarm moderate Democrat in order to capture the middle is a tried and failed strategy, Hillary Clinton being the best example. Beto running as a progressive is what mobilizes the young, Latino and black vote. If he were to run as another center right moderate with a D next to his name no one would give a .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree with this article simply because trying to run as a lukewarm moderate Democrat in order to capture the middle is a tried and failed strategy, Hillary Clinton being the best example. Beto running as a progressive is what mobilizes the young, Latino and black vote. If he were to run as another center right moderate with a D next to his name no one would give a .
    Dem establishment, just as corrupt as the Repugs, has been pro-business, pro-Capital/anti-Labor center right Repug, esp on the economy, since Slick Willie, and swats down, doesn't support truly progressive candidates.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Dem establishment, just as corrupt as the Repugs, has been pro-business, pro-Capital/anti-Labor center right Repug, esp on the economy, since Slick Willie, and swats down, doesn't support truly progressive candidates.
    Right, and it hasn’t worked. In spite of having an agenda that’s much better for most Americans than a right wing agenda and in spite of having the majority of registered voters, the Democrats don’t control the White House, Congress or SCOTUS. The slick willy strategy of running barely to the left of the GOP is a strategy that’s been failing for decades now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beto would have done great in California. Not so much, Texas.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's already doing great in Texas. Win or lose he has managed to turn out the young voters out for him. Early voting in Texas is the largest in years. 4 odd millions votes cast.

Or do you think that's happening because of Rafael's charms?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    He’s done better in Texas than any of the other Dems who ran in statewide races have in recent memory. Even though he probably loses, there are districts like the 32nd that have a good chance at flipping blue because of how many down the ballot votes other candidates are getting because of him. He clearly hasn’t run a bad campaign.

Wendy Abortion Barbie Davis is a great example of a “pro-business Democrat” who tried winning by focusing on wedge issues that do nothing to turn the young vote out while having center right views on stuff like healthcare and regulation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fair point. I do think there is some (conceptual) middle ground though. Run as a progressive, run as a centrist, or run as a progressive with certain nods to the middle. I think that's the point of the article. Now whether that's attainable in practice is another story altogether.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas voter turnout in 2018 races toward presidential election year levels

At the end of early voting on Friday, turnout in the state's largest counties already surpassed the entire turnout of the 2014 midterm election.

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/11...oting-turnout/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s because her county, the fourth largest in Texas, saw what she said was record-breaking turnout during early voting this year. By the time the polls closed Friday, 37.7 percent of registered voters in Bexar County had voted, well past the 19.8 percent turnout at the same point in 2014, the last midterm, and close to the presidential-year turnout recorded at the same point in 2012 and 2016.

And Bexar County’s election officials are not alone in having a lot to high-five each other about. Turnout during early voting in the state’s 30 largest counties easily surpassed the entire turnout – during the early voting period and on Election Day – of the 2014 midterm and total turnout during early voting in 2012.

In Harris County, the state’s largest county, 36.6 percent of registered voters had voted by the end of Friday, compared to 17.5 percent at the same point in 2014. In Dallas County, the number was 39.7 percent, compared to 17.8 percent at the same point in 2014. Early voting turnout in Dallas County and Travis County surpassed total early voter turnout in both the 2014 midterm and the 2012 presidential election, and just fell short of the total early voting turnout in 2016, by the end of Friday.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beto! Beto! Beto!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both sides are definitely motivated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both sides are definitely motivated.
    Maybe. Will depend on whether there's similar %s of turnout in suburban and exurban counties (Montgomery, Collin, etc...)

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Fair point. I do think there is some (conceptual) middle ground though. Run as a progressive, run as a centrist, or run as a progressive with certain nods to the middle. I think that's the point of the article. Now whether that's attainable in practice is another story altogether.
    I think the article went overboard in calling his campaign a failure is my main complaint. He’s obviously run a good campaign, whether or not it could have been better if he was closer to the middle on certain issues is a fair question.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what policies define the so-called Texas middle?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luciferian

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lots of detailed info on Derek Ryan's twitter page:

Thread Information