Page 182 of 210 FirstFirst ... 82132172178179180181182183184185186192 ... LastLast
Results 4,526 to 4,550 of 5238
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Experts are saying all signs point to another Ice Age
    Hopefully this time that squirrel gets the nut.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Link?

Critics have been right to criticize the inaccuracy of climate change modeling, the models have been way too conservative estimating the rate of change and the civilizational impact:

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...limate-change/

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're right. Gender isn't the same as sex. I misspoke.

The concept of pretending to be the opposite sex through alterations and roles then expecting society to play along - that's science denial.
    Yes because genes tell you how you MUST act.

Idiot...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Experts say...
    They all say...
    Some are even saying...
    Many people say to me...

You got this Trump ian talk down beautifully.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it’s winter a comin and she’s gettin cold. How’s that? We still have Winter, wtf?

We have had some record setting lows in some parts of the country.

Who would have thought average global temperature is rising and we could still measure record lows at various places on the Earth?
    (Not members of the red team apparently)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it’s winter a comin and she’s gettin cold. How’s that? We still have Winter, wtf?

We have had some record setting lows in some parts of the country.

Who would have thought average global temperature is rising and we could still measure record lows at various places on the Earth?
    (Not members of the red team apparently)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Warming is only one aspect of climate change, which is the more accurate term. Ocean warming destabilizes the jet stream, which can lead to freak cold snaps in North America.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Warming is only one aspect of climate change, which is the more accurate term. Ocean warming destabilizes the jet stream, which can lead to freak cold snaps in North America.
    If the Gulf Stream dies or wanders, Ireland, Icelland, UK will become much colder

predatory, voracious, corrupt, murderous Capitalism (BigCarbon and BigFinance) has really ed the planet beyond un ability.

If there were a "solution", it's unknown, and nobody nowhere is implementing ANY solution.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we don't start to manage the problem, it will manage us, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes because genes tell you how you MUST act.

Idiot...
    Didnt say anything about acting. Climate change doesn't tell you how you must act. It's always your decision. A male is a male and a female is a female. Those are scientific facts.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we don't start to manage the problem, it will manage us, tbh.
    nope, it's over, already way too late to overcome 150+ years of GHG emissions.

and GHG and other emissions CONTINUE to increase

and then

there's the severe, pervasive plastic and chemical pollution in air, water, land, animals, plants.

Humans have THEIR BED and there ain't no fix, with no fix is even being attempted.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TL;DNR : causes of AGW are increasing, not flat, no decreasing

A world off track on climate change

https://www.axios.com/newsletters/ax...156fd2cb4.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully this time that squirrel gets the nut.
    The question is significant for two reasons. First, climate skeptics and deniers have often accused scientists of exaggerating the threat of climate change, but the evidence shows that not only have they not exaggerated, they have underestimated. This is important for the interpretation of the scientific evidence, for the defense of the integrity of climate science, and for public comprehension of the urgency of the climate issue. Second, objectivity is an essential ideal in scientific work, so if we have evidence that findings are biased in any direction—towards alarmism or complacency—this should concern us We should seek to identify the sources of that bias and correct them if we can.

In our new book, Discerning Experts, we explored the workings of scientific assessments for policy, with particular attention to their internal dynamics, as we attempted to illuminate how the scientists working in assessments make the judgments they do. Among other things, we wanted to know how scientists respond to the pressures—sometimes subtle, sometimes overt—that arise when they know that their conclusions will be disseminated beyond the research community—in short, when they know that the world is watching. The view that scientific evidence should guide public policy presumes that the evidence is of high quality, and that scientists’ interpretations of it are broadly correct. But, until now, those assumptions have rarely been closely examined.

We found little reason to doubt the results of scientific assessments, overall. We found no evidence of fraud, malfeasance or deliberate deception or manipulation. Nor did we find any reason to doubt that scientific assessments accurately reflect the views of their expert communities. But we did find that scientists tend to underestimate the severity of threats and the rapidity with which they might unfold.

Among the factors that appear to contribute to underestimation is the perceived need for consensus, or what we label univocality: the felt need to speak in a single voice. Many scientists worry that if disagreement is publicly aired, government officials will conflate differences of opinion with ignorance and use this as justification for inaction. Others worry that even if policy makers want to act, they will find it difficult to do so if scientists fail to send an unambiguous message. Therefore, they will actively seek to find their common ground and focus on areas of agreement; in some cases, they will only put forward conclusions on which they can all agree.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the country’s biggest climate denier groups just did an about-face

Until now, the pro-business group has also supported U.S. withdrawal from the Paris Agreement.

In 2017, it funded a
    highly criticized report on the consequences of meeting the commitments of the pact.

The report paints a bleak picture of economic downturn and was used by President Trump as evidence for pulling the U.S. out of the pact.

just before Trump took the first formal step to pull the U.S. out of the Paris climate agreement,

the lobbying group quietly updated its website with a brand new stance on the matter.

A page led “
    Our Approach to Climate Change” now reads:

“Greater collaboration between governments and businesses is essential to build the best models to tackle climate challenges,

which is why

the Chamber supports U.S. participation in the Paris Agreement”.

https://grist.org/article/one-of-the...ampaign=beacon

too ing late, assholes!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The question is significant for two reasons. First, climate skeptics and deniers have often accused scientists of exaggerating the threat of climate change, but the evidence shows that not only have they not exaggerated, they have underestimated. This is important for the interpretation of the scientific evidence, for the defense of the integrity of climate science, and for public comprehension of the urgency of the climate issue. Second, objectivity is an essential ideal in scientific work, so if we have evidence that findings are biased in any direction—towards alarmism or complacency—this should concern us We should seek to identify the sources of that bias and correct them if we can.

In our new book, Discerning Experts, we explored the workings of scientific assessments for policy, with particular attention to their internal dynamics, as we attempted to illuminate how the scientists working in assessments make the judgments they do. Among other things, we wanted to know how scientists respond to the pressures—sometimes subtle, sometimes overt—that arise when they know that their conclusions will be disseminated beyond the research community—in short, when they know that the world is watching. The view that scientific evidence should guide public policy presumes that the evidence is of high quality, and that scientists’ interpretations of it are broadly correct. But, until now, those assumptions have rarely been closely examined.

We found little reason to doubt the results of scientific assessments, overall. We found no evidence of fraud, malfeasance or deliberate deception or manipulation. Nor did we find any reason to doubt that scientific assessments accurately reflect the views of their expert communities. But we did find that scientists tend to underestimate the severity of threats and the rapidity with which they might unfold.

Among the factors that appear to contribute to underestimation is the perceived need for consensus, or what we label univocality: the felt need to speak in a single voice. Many scientists worry that if disagreement is publicly aired, government officials will conflate differences of opinion with ignorance and use this as justification for inaction. Others worry that even if policy makers want to act, they will find it difficult to do so if scientists fail to send an unambiguous message. Therefore, they will actively seek to find their common ground and focus on areas of agreement; in some cases, they will only put forward conclusions on which they can all agree.
    Twotons.. cousin of Boutons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didnt say anything about acting. Climate change doesn't tell you how you must act. It's always your decision. A male is a male and a female is a female. Those are scientific facts.
    A male is usually XY. A female is usually XX. Those are scientific facts.
    XXY, X... continue are variations of sex chromosomes that .... are usually associated with....

Because a person is XX does not mean they want to wear dresses and have sex with XY. Behavioral differences are much more difficult to explain with science.
    But you got a male is a male. Thanks for that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The overall warming leads to an instability of ocean currents as well. Water can hold vast amounts of heat energy and when the ocean currents change paths, the climate in an area can become very different as well. Rain patterns and temperatures can completely change how we farm and or cause the vegetation in an area to change. Along with coastal habitation, I think these changes will lead to the most drastic short term changes as far as $ impact. When we build infrastructure based on a certain type of climate ( which we have) and the climate changes rapidly it costs $.
    I think people living next to water will feel the greatest monetary impact. Distribution of water will become a bigger issue. Imo red team chooses to treat this on a geological scale in order to put off having to deal with it. “Oh well, at some point continents will shift” If we were still mobile hunter gatherers we would most likely find it easier to adapt. But we are not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the solar cycle is well known and is factored into every model

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Climate change exposes future generations to life-long health harm

A child born today faces multiple and life-long health harms from climate change - growing up in a warmer world with risks of food shortages, infectious diseases, floods and extreme heat

Climate change is already harming people’s health by increasing the number of extreme weather events and exacerbating air pollution

if nothing is done to mitigate it, its impacts could burden an entire generation with disease and illness throughout their lives.

“Children are particularly vulnerable to the health risks of a changing climate.

Their bodies and immune systems are still developing, leaving them more susceptible to disease and environmental pollutants,”

“Without immediate action from all countries

to cut greenhouse gas emissions, gains in wellbeing and life expectancy will be compromised, and

climate change will come to define the health of an entire generation,”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-climate-change-health/climate-change-exposes-future-generations-to-life-long-health-harm-idUSKBN1XN2WQ?feedType=RSS&feedName=healthNews&utm _source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Fe ed%3A+reuters%2FhealthNews+%28Reuters+Health+News% 29

Ain't no country gonna do significant mitigation of its pollution,

so destructive business as usual (Capitalists gorge on more $Ts) will keep the planet on steady trajectory downwards.

100Ms will die, $Ts lost in planetary (property) wealth, etc, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the solar cycle is well known and is factored into every model
    Sure thing pal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure thing pal.
    Says the man of science.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Climate whiplash. Tree ring research seems to indicate weather volatility has increased dramatically in the last 60 years:

https://e360.yale.edu/features/clima...re-on-the-rise

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A male is usually XY. A female is usually XX. Those are scientific facts.
    XXY, X... continue are variations of sex chromosomes that .... are usually associated with....

Because a person is XX does not mean they want to wear dresses and have sex with XY. Behavioral differences are much more difficult to explain with science.
    But you got a male is a male. Thanks for that.
    I have no idea what you're even arguing here. You went off the rails. Variations are called that for a reason.
    Last edited by DMC; 11-23-2019 at 01:08 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Climate whiplash. Tree ring research seems to indicate weather volatility has increased dramatically in the last 60 years:

https://e360.yale.edu/features/clima...re-on-the-rise
    Ah so it started before I was born. Not my problem.

Thread Information