Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    during the superbowl which is skewed by a ridiculous amount of casual fans who dont watch football any other day of the year
    Sure, but that illustrates one of the problems with the NFL. A lot people, even during the regular season, tune in for the "event" or to jerk off their fantasy team. I know a lot of people who aren't necessarily football fans but watch because of fantasy football.

The NFL has a lot gimmicks that draw in viewers aside from the sport itself. All I'm saying.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, but that illustrates one of the problems with the NFL. A lot people, even during the regular season, tune in for the "event" or to jerk off their fantasy team. I know a lot of people who aren't necessarily football fans but watch because of fantasy football.
    but that has nothing to do with football being inherently boring. people play fantasy baseball, too

The NFL has a lot gimmicks that draw in viewers aside from the sport itself. All I'm saying.
    more power to them. and by far the most popular pro sport in the US, with or without the gimmicks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but that has nothing to do with football being inherently boring. people play fantasy baseball, too

more power to them. and by far the most popular pro sport in the US, with or without the gimmicks
    Fantasy baseball requires a lot more commitment and time to play than fantasy football.

Football isn't boring, but the NFL presentation of it is.

I don't find any sports boring if presented right. Don't even find soccer necessarily boring. Just cheap (0-0 all game and a player dives in the box at the 87th minute and the game is decided by that. Mario Party deciding major tournaments. Outdated "league system" to decide the League champion). I do think soccer is more boring than other major sports, but not "boring" overall.

I do think the NFL/other US sport divide would be closer if not for fantasy football, though (yes, NFL would still win without fantasy) . I don't think football is inherently so superior of a sport that it should dominate the American sporting culture as it does.

Pro football was the nation's most popular sport -- and the highest-grossing -- long before there was a fantasy version. But it wouldn't be nearly as popular or financially successful without it.

The reason: Fantasy fans put together a hypothetical team of real players from teams across the country, and that's changed the way people follow the sport.

It used to be that NFL fans mostly paid attention to local games, tuning into big, nationally broadcast games now and then. Now every game -- even those involving last place teams thousands of miles away -- can be crucial to a fans' fantasy team. The upshot: people are watching a lot more football, making those out-of-town games more valuable to the league than ever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyhow FkLA if you are up for the challenge, here's my requirements:

- 100 throws from 110 feet away continuously filmed on camera. No edits. (

Has to be 100. If I claimed to be a 60% shooter from 25 feet away, I don't think you would let me off easily by making me shoot just 10 shots. "Well, you said a 100 throws could be damaging to an arm? Why should I do it, when you didn't?"

I wasn't trying to claim it as easy. And 100 throws being damaging is an example of how demanding building a strong throwing arm actually is. I don't recommend you do this.

- You in the shot after a confirmed iden y (I don't blame you for backing out because of this reason, but it has to be done. I 95% trust you to do the challenge yourself on the legit, but this is the Internet. I 95% trusted Lakaluva to pay me. On the Internet, we have to be 100% sure).

- Throws have to hit the 12' x 8' (about the range a 1st baseman can cover) target in flight (a hop greatly increases the chances of the runner beating the throw).

- If your claim is that you can throw out any MLB baserunner, then we have to find a way to prove you can throw at least 80 mph. You ain't throwing out Billy Hamilton or Delino Deshields with 65-70mph ducks.

- If your claim is just that you could occasionally throw out some slower MLB baserunners trotting, then fair enough (I'm taking your word you have some throwing experience, whether it be baseball or football) I had a couple throws in my vid that would've gotten out a trotting Colon or something (and I haven't attempted a 100+ foot throw in probably 15 years). You don't have to go through this to prove yourself. I (50/50) believe you, enough anyway that you need not go through the trouble. Same thing as claiming you can hit a wide open 15 footer in an NBA game. Throwing out a speedster, though, would be the equivalent of making a contested 15 footer over an NBA player.
    Last edited by midnightpulp; 08-09-2016 at 12:39 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this whole convo started because you brought up a stupid poll asked to a load of casual "nfl fans"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this whole convo started because you brought up a stupid poll asked to a load of casual "nfl fans"
    My point with that is that NFL's popularity, as in people who watch the sport for the actual sport, is grossly overstated. NFL is really the only major NA sport people will "follow" for other reasons than to watch football.

Yes, good for them in bringing in the casual, but it illustrates how gimmicky the league has become.

It also aggravates me because I don't want to see the country become a one sport nation, where the only sport people care about is foobaw. Trumpet the NBA Finals ratings, but they're an illusion. People tuned in to watch Lebron break the curse storyline not to watch basketball. If the Spurs and Pacers could draw 30 million in a game 7, then I'll be at ease. We know that ain't happening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if you've already acknowledged that they'd be the most popular even without the gimmicks, then this is all a waste of breath, mid

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we're getting a handegg vs Fatball..I'm joining the fatball crew, tbh.

Reason being is positions...All baseball players have the chance to create and make a fullfiling game. Players get the chance to hit. Granted pitching is the most fun.

Handegg on the other hand, if you're not playing QB, WR, RB...

No one will remeber your ing name.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, you have to talk to mid about that. I'm not bragging about being able to make routine throws to a big ass target, I'm simply disagreeing with him when he says I (or most normal people) can't do it.

And sure the average person can kick a ball blindly. Probably couldn't place it in an upper corner, put curve on it, or make an accurate cross though. Much harder to control the accuracy of a soccer ball than a fatball, for obvious reasons, tbh.
    Was he talking about routine throws to that target? I thought he was talking about throwing actual pitches to it. Just hard throws I can prob hit that almost every time still. I used to pitch and play SS/CF in high school.

It also depends what kind of control you mean. Regular throw or an actual pitch? Because I would compare doing located shots with a soccer ball (still easier imo) to pitching and defensive "routine throws" to merely passing the soccer ball to someone.

Making a hard accurate pitch with good movement without telegraphing it is not easy at all. Especially a curveball or slider. . ,.getting it into the strike zone consistently is one thing (and difficult), but accurately pinpointing it into different areas of it is quite another. Someone here (I forget who) tried to say it was "like darts". . .if you threw like that you'd get hammered and lose every time without question. That's what's called a batting practice pitch lol.

I played the 3 major "US sports" all throughout middle school and high school, and some minor sports like volleyball as well. . .baseball was definitely the hardest sport because of pitching and hitting specifically (football easiest by far tbh). The fielding wasn't that bad though, but the pitching and hitting is significantly harder than it looks when you're playing against skilled players. Most here have likely never pitched even once and probably have no experience hitting outside of wiffleball or low pitch softball in gym class a dozen times. You guys are definitely underestimating the difficulty of it by a lot.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    My point with that is that NFL's popularity, as in people who watch the sport for the actual sport, is grossly overstated. NFL is really the only major NA sport people will "follow" for other reasons than to watch football.

Yes, good for them in bringing in the casual, but it illustrates how gimmicky the league has become.

It also aggravates me because I don't want to see the country become a one sport nation, where the only sport people care about is foobaw. Trumpet the NBA Finals ratings, but they're an illusion. People tuned in to watch Lebron break the curse storyline not to watch basketball. If the Spurs and Pacers could draw 30 million in a game 7, then I'll be at ease. We know that ain't happening.
    Bend over and I'll show you what aggravates you

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was he talking about routine throws to that target? I thought he was talking about throwing actual pitches to it. Just hard throws I can prob hit that almost every time still. I used to pitch and play SS/CF in high school.

It also depends what kind of control you mean. Regular throw or an actual pitch? Because I would compare doing located shots with a soccer ball (still easier imo) to pitching and defensive "routine throws" to merely passing the soccer ball to someone.

Making a hard accurate pitch with good movement without telegraphing it is not easy at all. Especially a curveball or slider. . ,.getting it into the strike zone consistently is one thing (and difficult), but accurately pinpointing it into different areas of it is quite another. Someone here (I forget who) tried to say it was "like darts". . .if you threw like that you'd get hammered and lose every time without question. That's what's called a batting practice pitch lol.

I played the 3 major "US sports" all throughout middle school and high school, and some minor sports like volleyball as well. . .baseball was definitely the hardest sport because of pitching and hitting specifically (football easiest by far tbh). The fielding wasn't that bad though, but the pitching and hitting is significantly harder than it looks when you're playing against skilled players. Most here have likely never pitched even once and probably have no experience hitting outside of wiffleball or low pitch softball in gym class a dozen times. You guys are definitely underestimating the difficulty of it by a lot.
    Yep. And most kids who grew up playing baseball, football, and basketball would agree. I'm not arguing on behalf of baseball in this month long pissing contest because it's my favorite sport. I like all the sports I follow about equally at the core. It's just a fact.

As I said, simple actions in baseball like throwing and hitting require many more mechanical movements to be in sync to perform consistently well. And given the fact baseball runs are a high commodity, you have to perform these actions (aside from hitting) at a much higher average rate. A fielding percentage of 60% would kill a team. In the NBA, you're an elite big if you can average that shooting percentage. And yes, I know a basketball shot comes with the added difficulty of a defender to beat, but throwing out a runner comes with the added difficulty of fielding balls traveling a 100-110 mph and then throwing the ball with enough speed to beat that runner.

And the fact you only get limited chances makes it all the much harder. There's no making up a "poor first half" in baseball most of the time. Even hitters have to perform at an NBA 3 point percentage rate to be good (a good hitter should have an on-base percentage north of .360, and elite hitters will be over .400). And learning to hit is a harder thing to do than learning to shoot, even over defenders, at any level.

Another added difficulty in baseball is that most situations are pressure situations where there's enough time to think and psyche yourself out. In basketball and football, you're running around more, operating more on instinct and just reacting, which means more getting into the zone. Nearly every situation in baseball is a spotlight situation, a free throw or field goal kick, but harder.

That said, the problem (for the uninitiated fan) with baseball is aesthetic. Baseball feats don't look impressive to the average sports fan compared to Lebron sailing through the air for a dunk, a Curry stepback 3, or a Barry Sanders juke. Chapman being able to throw multiple pitches over 100 mph with a 15K/9 ratio is as athletically and skillfully impressive as anything Lebron is doing. Chapman is literally at the edge of human performance in arm rotation/generation of torque (no NBA player flirts with any kind of biomechanical running, jumping, or throwing limit during a game. Nor do they in football).

From that ed position, the arm snaps forward to its release point in 0.03 seconds, and at its peak speed, an elite pitcher's arm rotates at upward of 8500 degrees per second. If that single instant of speed could be maintained, then a pitcher's arm would spin around 24 times in a second.

"Shoulder rotation in baseball pitching is the fastest motion of any joint in any athlete," Fleisig says; moving faster than hip joints in sprinters or shoulders in elite tennis players.
    But they don't do a spin move or crossover before throwing the ball, so it's unimpressive.

Thread Information