Page 144 of 403 FirstFirst ... 4494134140141142143144145146147148154194244 ... LastLast
Results 3,576 to 3,600 of 10055
    Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    imo it's quite possible that if the Spurs make a trade with the Hawks for Young or Murray that they include the Spurs own draft pick this summer. A top 5 pick, even in a meh draft, can be sold to fans as the start of a rebuild.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    imo it's quite possible that if the Spurs make a trade with the Hawks for Young or Murray that they include the Spurs own draft pick this summer. A top 5 pick, even in a meh draft, can be sold to fans as the start of a rebuild.
    Exactly

If it lets us keep a Hawks, our own, or a Bulls pick in much better drafts.. do it

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who is player in this draft that can partner up with wemby to make happen.
    Think its gotta be topic or dillinham.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A) Need more evidence: every single of these players.

There's nothing that allows us to say Sheppard and Knecht would be "ready to contribute now"... Actually everything, and the mere fact of having zero NBA or pro experience but playing against mostly amateur teens (who will not even become pro for most of them) vs. grown men among the best BB players in the world in the NBA, say the opposite... The fact Sheppard and Knecht can't also be considered as top prospects like Banchero, Chet or even Miller but rather role players, who take much more time to find a place in the NBA, say they certainly wont be ready to really contribute before years, and certainly not more, and actually less, than current spurs players...

Once again we shouldn't make definitive assertments and fantasizing too much about these kids. We just have to watch last year's discussions about the lottery guys and see where they are at now (any year actually). Every young prospect is beautiful in March till june, then the next NBA season starts... Sheppard and Knecht are last year's Gradey . I mean, yeah they could show some interesting things here or there but they wouldn't make this team better in thie first year, actually worth if given plenty playing time.

Simply pick and give consequent playing time to two rookies next season, and it's another crap show.
    You're misconstruing what I said. I was stating my opinion, and if anything it's you who is making "definitive assertions" by stating (in reference to Sheppard and Knecht) that "they certainly wont be ready to really contribute before years, and certainly not more, and actually less, than current spurs players". I can't state that they'll contribute right away but you can inequivocally state they won't?

You say we "need more evidence" on "every single of these players". Well yeah, sure, but I was referring to my lack of familiarity with those players, you can very easily have seen enough of them to have an opinion whereas I don't (this is especially true of the European prospects) while probably the opposite is true for some NCAA prospects (like the Kentucky guys). And while you never have enough to claim you can tell EVERYTHING about a given prospect, that doesn't mean you can't have enough to say SOMETHING. Are you going to tell me with a straight face that I'm not allowed to rate Sheppard as a prospect differently than I did Blake Wesley, for them "having zero NBA or pro experience" or "playing against mostly amateur teens (who will not even become pro for most of them)"?

Take Keegan Murray, or Cason Wallace, or Dereck Lively; neither took years to contribute, they had a very defined skill set that matched the initial role that was required of them. In the same way, Sheppard is super smart and self aware, to where he'll avoid making too many costly rookie mistakes that hurt the team, while at the same time provide help in much needed areas (like spacing the floor and moving the ball with high efficiency). This is what I mean by some prospects being more ready to "contribute now" than others": I'm just more confident in what they'd provide in the short term. It isn't all that controversial, really.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we’re trading for Trae, I would have no problem trading both this year if it lets us protect some of our picks for better drafts.
    I don't see it. If the Hawks are trading Trae it's so they can tank, which means they're going to want their picks and their swap back. Trae ain't Durant so they're not getting a Durant haul for him. Control of their 25 through 27 drafts back plus Keldon and salary filler (Graham or Collins) is what I'd offer, with the Chicago top 10 protected first and the Charlotte fake first / really double seconds as the max sweetener. It's the best offer they can get for Trae since their own picks returned will be top 5 for Atlanta, so no reason for the Spurs to bid against themselves. Move the 24 pick(s) for another vet in a separate deal if the opportunity arises for someone good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs could go a lot of different ways:
    a) High floor, contribute now: Sheppard and Knecht
    b) Compromise between fit & upside: Dillingham and Buzelis
    c) Upside, bad fit: Sarr and Castle
    d) High boom/bust: Collier and Holland
    e) Need more evidence: Topic and Risacher
    As of right now, I'm leaning b
    the likes on this one

Thanks Rosewood thanked for this postLikes alfahdlan, heyheymymy, scott liked this post

A) Need more evidence: every single of these players.

There's nothing that allows us to say Sheppard and Knecht would be "ready to contribute now"... Actually everything, and the mere fact of having zero NBA or pro experience but playing against mostly amateur teens (who will not even become pro for most of them) vs. grown men among the best BB players in the world in the NBA, say the opposite... The fact Sheppard and Knecht can't also be considered as top prospects like Banchero, Chet or even Miller but rather role players, who take much more time to find a place in the NBA, say they certainly wont be ready to really contribute before years, and certainly not more, and actually less, than current spurs players...

Once again we shouldn't make definitive assertments and fantasizing too much about these kids. We just have to watch last year's discussions about the lottery guys and see where they are at now (any year actually). Every young prospect is beautiful in March till june, then the next NBA season starts... Sheppard and Knecht are last year's Gradey . I mean, yeah they could show some interesting things here or there but they wouldn't make this team better in thie first year, actually worth if given plenty playing time.

Simply pick and give consequent playing time to two rookies next season, and it's another crap show.
    Yeah you are responding to what is essentially a pretentious post. They have this smarmy condescension but little behind it.
    Just look for the pollyanna mixing of insults and compliments. generally speaking if you can end their post with "bless your/their heart" then you have found one. that and the desperate need to be seen as an authority and the insecurity on display if someone else might be seen as one.

Once you find the supply it is easy to suss out.
    Left for the game and came back to find the usual in my thread to which I squeezed with:

Bluster is things like losing an argument and talking about being a lawyer. You passed the bar yet cannot do simple deductions. You recall the convos about mutually exclusive?

I called you Counselor Crayola for that reason. Not bluster. You suck at deduction, Crayola.
    and soon out popped:

You're misconstruing what I said. I was stating my opinion, and if anything it's you who is making "definitive assertions" by stating (in reference to Sheppard and Knecht) that "they certainly wont be ready to really contribute before years, and certainly not more, and actually less, than current spurs players". I can't state that they'll contribute right away but you can inequivocally state they won't?

You say we "need more evidence" on "every single of these players". Well yeah, sure, but I was referring to my lack of familiarity with those players, you can very easily have seen enough of them to have an opinion whereas I don't (this is especially true of the European prospects) while probably the opposite is true for some NCAA prospects (like the Kentucky guys). And while you never have enough to claim you can tell EVERYTHING about a given prospect, that doesn't mean you can't have enough to say SOMETHING. Are you going to tell me with a straight face that I'm not allowed to rate Sheppard as a prospect differently than I did Blake Wesley, for them "having zero NBA or pro experience" or "playing against mostly amateur teens (who will not even become pro for most of them)"?

Take Keegan Murray, or Cason Wallace, or Dereck Lively; neither took years to contribute, they had a very defined skill set that matched the initial role that was required of them. In the same way, Sheppard is super smart and self aware, to where he'll avoid making too many costly rookie mistakes that hurt the team, while at the same time provide help in much needed areas (like spacing the floor and moving the ball with high efficiency). This is what I mean by some prospects being more ready to "contribute now" than others": I'm just more confident in what they'd provide in the short term. It isn't all that controversial, really.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Topic remains the top target imo. I haven’t wavered in rating him as the top PG, but with Starr and Risacher looking iffy I think Topic is rising to #1 overall.
    He consistently gets to the rim and finishes over bigs, often through contact.
    He uses that penetration to set up teammates.
    It is exactly what we’re missing most.
    Most of this board only realized this week that Topic has elite length, as if it wasn't evident on tape or .. google.
    Length means his finishing at the rim and everything that comes with that will likely translate to the NBA.
    3pt shooting is a concern but the Ft shooting provides some hope there.
    If the 3pt shot develops he has all-star upside.
    Last edited by couchman; 03-13-2024 at 03:22 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BtW, I hope Topic plays poorly when he returns so that he drops to whatever draft slot we get.
    I’m not worried about small sample size and games where he is knocking off the rust.

Sheppard is probably second on my Spurs big board.
    He, Knecht, and Devon Carter are probably the non-bigs most prepared to help immediately.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the likes on this one

Thanks Rosewood thanked for this postLikes alfahdlan, heyheymymy, scott liked this post
    I liked the way they framed it in categories. Doesn't mean I necessarily agree with every single plotting within those categories but I appreciated the submission as another perspective since I'm trying to shape my understanding of the draft landscape here and right or wrong every notion helps mold the climate of each prospects value as it rises and falls or team fits and prospect strengths/roles or potential compatibility with another. I just this week began a deeper dive into the options and am addicted to takes on this subject right now as I research. Would love to hear your thoughts next. Looking forward to your better write up, coach

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Topic remains the top target imo. I haven’t wavered in rating him as the top PG, but with Starr and Risacher looking iffy I think Topic is rising to #1 overall.
    He consistently gets to the rim and finishes over bigs, often through contact.
    He uses that penetration to set up teammates.
    It is exactly what we’re missing most.
    Most of this board only realized this week that Topic has elite length, as if it wasn't evident on tape or .. google.
    Length means his finishing at the rim and everything that comes with that will likely translate to the NBA.
    3pt shooting is a concern but the Ft shooting provides some hope there.
    If the 3pt shot develops he has all-star upside.
    I look like an all star on YT too...

- Topic has a long neck but length is really not what stands out watching him.
    - He has no real athleticism, but looks on the contrary like your random under the rim, unathletic euro PG. Forget about Manu here. Most of his drives are actually without contact, (which tells you about the level of defense over there). Combine measurements should be brutal to him.
    - His handlings are not that great.
    - Can't shoot, 29% on 3 (behind the closer euro line).
    - Bad defense, just a body out there.
    He's confident, yeah, like Teodosic, Micic or Nando were...

Just for perspective, his stats in 2 Euroleague games this year (16min/game): 3.5pt, 3.5 ass, 1to, 1.5rbd, 0.5stl.

Biggest risk in this draft, massive bust potential. I don't see all star ceiling at all. He won't get all these easy driving lines in the NBA. how many, unathletic, bad shooting euro, white guards have succeeded in the NBA the last 10 years? If ever? He's no Ricky rubio, much mess Luka.

No way spurs can waste a pick on a guy I can see seriously dropping in mock drafts after scouts start to look more closely at College BB... He was your start of the season hype when you have to make mock drafts but can still really picture College players. Could be back in Europe before the end of his rookie contract.

IMHO ofc.
    Last edited by JPB; 03-13-2024 at 07:23 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the likes on this one

Left for the game and came back to find the usual in my thread to which I squeezed with:

and soon out popped:

I'll try not to reply to a lumpkin. He might make me even fuzzier.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I look like an all star on YT too...
    Biggest risk in this draft, massive bust potential. I don't see all star ceiling at all. He won't get all these easy driving lines in the NBA. how many, unathletic, bad shooting euro, white guards have succeeded in the NBA the last 10 years? If ever? He's no Ricky rubio, much mess Luka.
    Exactly, I made a very similar post a week ago.
    Copy/pasting the Topic bit.

The more I think about it, the less I want Topic.
    Not even with the Raptors pick.

First of all, anyone who mentions Topic in the same sentence as Doncic is instantly irrelevant.
    It's like comparing Tony with Killian Hayes just because they're both French point guards.

While we do need playmaking, our perimeter defense and floor spacing needs are as just as bad.
    Topic is a negative in both those aspects and it doesn't look like he'll ever be a positive defender.
    Chances of him becoming a good shooter are not great, so what's the point of wasting a top5 pick on a defensive traffic cone that can't really shoot?

The same way NBA disregarded foreign prospects back in the day, they get overhyped now.
    Just think of all the European guards that turned out to be legit NBA players and developed into good pieces for championship teams.
    All of them were either obvious next big things or came over late as fully developed players.
    Tony was more or less the only exception, but he was one of the quickest players in history.

Foreign* guards in recent drafts:
    2022: #7 Dyson Daniels
    2021: #6 Josh Giddey
    2020: #7 Killian Hayes
    2018: #3 Luka Doncic
    2017: #8 Frank Ntilikina
    2015: #5 Mario Hezonja, #7 Emmanuel Mudiay
    2014: #27 Bogdan Bogdanovic (came over in 2017 at 25 years old)
    2013: #17 Dennis Schroeder

*Foreign as in NBA being their first American basketball experience, I'm not counting foreign players that went to college.

You have to go all the way back to 2009 and Ricky Rubio to find another legit European point guard and he was the biggest Euro point guard prospect until Luka.

While Europeans are somewhat taking over the league, it's simply not the case for point guards.
    If Topic was a great shooter, I'd take him right away, but he screams bust no matter how you look at, I can't see why would anyone take him in the lottery other than Luka hype?
    It wouldn't surprise me if his injury status isn't actually legit, but they're hiding him since his draft stock went way up.
    And don't forget all the Hezonjas and Benders that were way better prospects than Topic and failed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the likes on this one

and soon out popped:

Huh? Honestly every post of yours is convoluted that has absolutely nothing to do with basketball or the Spurs, you seem like a mentally troubled individual that only comes to these boards to vent. If you didn't come to every thread antagonize someone every other post I don't think I'd notice who you are. I think me explaining you that you were making an ass of yourself by stupidly misreading an obvious post by td21 rubbed you the wrong way and now I'm the lucky one (it didn't even take 24 hs). Get some help.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most of what I hear about PG's being drafted is that it takes 2-3 years to develop, so while I like the idea of drafting a point guard to develop alongside Wemby I think it isn't a good fit. Their age timeline would be similar but their developmental gap would be huge frustrating Wemby for the next few years.

I think the best answer we have is to try and use our draft capital to get him a running mate now because of what he showed this season. Obviously Trey would be a great fit given his pick and roll capabilities, but if he's off the table I think Giddy would be an alternative to consider. Here's an article on his issues from the thunders perspective:

https://thunderousintentions.com/pos...ead-playoffs/4

His shooting is obviously an issue, full stop. But I think issues surrounding his lack of driving, getting to the rim, getting FT's all stem from sharing the court with Alexander and Williams (superior talents for sure) that take the ball out of his hands which is the only way he operates as a positive asset.

He works best with the ball in his hands, he is a great passer, and the team has enough defense and shooting to help cover up his weaknesses. He would be a great pick and roll partner for Wemby with his height. He matches both the age and development timeline. Plus he'd be MUCH cheaper to get which would mean holding onto Atlanta's capital. Their eventual implosion is inevitable so having those picks will be huge for us.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Risacher, Dillingham, Sheppard, Knecht. Chomche in the second round.
    Just draft Cam Spencer in the seconf round if you want a shooter.

Burning a top pick on Dillingham/Sheppard when you can get a player who's primary asset is the same (shooting) in Spencer in the second round is the better play.

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most of what I hear about PG's being drafted is that it takes 2-3 years to develop, so while I like the idea of drafting a point guard to develop alongside Wemby I think it isn't a good fit. Their age timeline would be similar but their developmental gap would be huge frustrating Wemby for the next few years.

I think the best answer we have is to try and use our draft capital to get him a running mate now because of what he showed this season. Obviously Trey would be a great fit given his pick and roll capabilities, but if he's off the table I think Giddy would be an alternative to consider. Here's an article on his issues from the thunders perspective:

His shooting is obviously an issue, full stop. But I think issues surrounding his lack of driving, getting to the rim, getting FT's all stem from sharing the court with Alexander and Williams (superior talents for sure) that take the ball out of his hands which is the only way he operates as a positive asset.

He works best with the ball in his hands, he is a great passer, and the team has enough defense and shooting to help cover up his weaknesses. He would be a great pick and roll partner for Wemby with his height. He matches both the age and development timeline. Plus he'd be MUCH cheaper to get which would mean holding onto Atlanta's capital. Their eventual implosion is inevitable so having those picks will be huge for us.
    For the reasons you mentioned. No matter who we draft we have to sign or trade for a pg that is better than Jones. Even a future all star pg will need a couple years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Huh? Honestly every post of yours is convoluted that has absolutely nothing to do with basketball or the Spurs, you seem like a mentally troubled individual that only comes to these boards to vent. If you didn't come to every thread antagonize someone every other post I don't think I'd notice who you are. I think me explaining you that you were making an ass of yourself by stupidly misreading an obvious post by td21 rubbed you the wrong way and now I'm the lucky one (it didn't even take 24 hs). Get some help.
    Sup, Dulcinea.

So just like in the political forum where @winehole is and if you question their authority you get the troll swarm.

you only see people

So this is your precious of this forum. The lily white unimpeachable authority unstained by the reality of the bag you are.

Believe.
    Post Count

I’m glad others are coming around to this idea. We have a chance to really get him at a discount too. Did you know that Giddey with his three years of NBA experience is younger or the same age as these potential first round prospects:

Dalton Knecht
    Kevin McCullar
    Hunter Sallis
    Devin Carter
    Ryan Dunn
    Tristan De Silva
    Zach Edey
    Tyler Kolek
    Daron Holmes II
    Jaylon Tyson
    Iso Ighodoro

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sup, Dulcinea.

So just like in the political forum where @winehole is and if you question their authority you get the troll swarm.

you only see people

So this is your precious of this forum. The lily white unimpeachable authority unstained by the reality of the bag you are.
    Ah, finally I get some insight into your fuzzy mind, you're implying I'm part of a "troll swarm". It'd be VERY EASILY verifiable that I'm not by any mod ( timvp ? Chinook ? Bruno ?) to disproove your theory, I doubt there's anyone posting from my area over here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah, finally I get some insight into your fuzzy mind, you're implying I'm part of a "troll swarm". It'd be VERY EASILY verifiable that I'm not by any mod (timvp? Chinook? Bruno?), I doubt there's anyone posting from my area over here.
    the mods know very well it is pointless to try to moderate you. IP bans just mean you get another IP. it's obvious they stopped trying to even try a long time ago.

What I am claiming is that I made a couple of assumptions on how to with you and as I have laid out above. It makes a good argument when the audience can follow along and see the timeline for themselves by clicking the links.

I have been explaining what I am doing as I go with confidence that you cannot help yourself because of assumption #1: You are extremely mentally ill. You really are deeply insecure and desperate need the supply of being seen as authority. NPD, IOW.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I agree with the first part, drafting a point guard is a bad idea for the reasons you state. However, I skeptical about giddey. The roster can’t handle any more guys that can’t score consistently.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the mods know very well it is pointless to try to moderate you. IP bans just mean you get another IP. it's obvious they stopped trying to even try a long time ago.

What I am claiming is that I made a couple of assumptions on how to with you and as I have laid out above. It makes a good argument when the audience can follow along and see the timeline for themselves by clicking the links.

I have been explaining what I am doing as I go with confidence that you cannot help yourself because of assumption #1: You are extremely mentally ill. You really are deeply insecure and desperate need the supply of being seen as authority. NPD, IOW.

I''m from Buenos Aires, Argentina and I've never conceiled or changed (in a purposeful way, that is) my IP since I registered 18 years ago. Your argument that I'm a troll and any proof to the contrary is invalid is unfalsifiable, which speaks more of your paranoid mind than it does about me. You might be shocked to hear this, but you're not as important as you think you are, and honestly I don't find interacting with you either interesting or enjoyable. So carry on with your life and I'll carry on with mine.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BtW, I hope Topic plays poorly when he returns so that he drops to whatever draft slot we get.
    I’m not worried about small sample size and games where he is knocking off the rust.

Sheppard is probably second on my Spurs big board.
    He, Knecht, and Devon Carter are probably the non-bigs most prepared to help immediately.
    I'm worried about him not producing in Euroleague and just putting numbers up in the ABA. I know it's only a game and a half he played there but it didn't inspire much faith in him against high level compe ion. And even worse if he pulls a James Wiseman and decides to sit out the rest of the season to preserve draft stock. Topic seems like the biggest boom or bust prospect in this draft given lack of production against high level compe ion and inability to shoot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I''m from Buenos Aires, Argentina and I've never conceiled or changed (in a purposeful way, that is) my IP since I registered 18 years ago. Your argument that I'm a troll and any proof to the contrary is invalid is unfalsifiable, which speaks more of your paranoid mind than it does about me. You might be shocked to hear this, but you're not as important as you think you are, and honestly I don't find interacting with you either interesting or enjoyable. So carry on with your life and I'll carry on with mine.
    You think our audience does not know you can spoof IP, Dulcinea?

Believe.
    Post Count
    I'm worried about him not producing in Euroleague and just putting numbers up in the ABA. I know it's only a game and a half he played there but it didn't inspire much faith in him against high level compe ion. And even worse if he pulls a James Wiseman and decides to sit out the rest of the season to preserve draft stock. Topic seems like the biggest boom or bust prospect in this draft given lack of production against high level compe ion and inability to shoot.
    I see this argument all the time but I think it’s a bit of a crock. There was no expectation earlier in the season when playing for the ABA that he would eventually play in Euro and he was near the top of the mocks. Suddenly he goes up there, plays like one and half games and suddenly everything is in question. That’s a crock. He can’t be expected to adjust in that amount of time. There is plenty of film to make a determination on him on the same league that Jokic played on. No excuses. Either you like him as a prospect or you don’t. Don’t blame him for injury and then doing what every other prospect would do in his shoes.

Thread Information