Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    existed for almost the entire 20th century. For example, the New York Times was still occasionally spelling potato with an –e in 1988. In fact, one can easily find spellings of potatoe all the way up to 15 June of 1992, at which point they suddenly drop off or become used in an ironic way, referencing this incident. Quayle may have misspelled the word, but in doing so perhaps he taught the rest of us how to not make his error.

I didn't say it was never a word. I said it's not a word. The word is potato. Spelling it wrong, even if others have done so and continue to do so, doesn't change the fact that it's not a word.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    existed for almost the entire 20th century. For example, the New York Times was still occasionally spelling potato with an –e in 1988. In fact, one can easily find spellings of potatoe all the way up to 15 June of 1992, at which point they suddenly drop off or become used in an ironic way, referencing this incident. Quayle may have misspelled the word, but in doing so perhaps he taught the rest of us how to not make his error.
    Yea, the liberal establishment suddenly decided the alternative spelling was no longer valid because it would destroy their narrative / seminal moment about Dan Quayle being an idiot. I had multiple teachers teach me the alternative spelling. As well, I even watched at least one news report (IIRC more than one) in which the anchorman / journalist stated that Quayle was not wrong about the alternative spelling. Quayle did not misspell the word. He did choose the less popular spelling, but he was one hundred percent correct.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A major newspaper publication, nay the premier newspaper publication used it in 1988. Do you think there was a memo in 1989 in which Oxford, MW, etc. were eradicating the alternative spelling?

Think dude.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea, the liberal establishment suddenly decided the alternative spelling was no longer valid because it would destroy their narrative / seminal moment about Dan Quayle being an idiot. I had multiple teachers teach me the alternative spelling. As well, I even watched at least one news report (IIRC more than one) in which the anchorman / journalist stated that Quayle was not wrong about the alternative spelling. Quayle did not misspell the word. He did choose the less popular spelling, but he was one hundred percent correct.
    Either way, it's not a word.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Either way, it's not a word.
    Depends on who you ask. I prefer not to kowtow to liberal shmucks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll tell ya that liberal establishment really is out to get us isn't it. They ruined my life completely but I don't want to get into those gory details

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    #alpha

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll tell ya that liberal establishment really is out to get us isn't it. They ruined my life completely but I don't want to get into those gory details
    "nother level"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's a liberal conspiracy!

Where's my potatoe at? Huehuehue

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The funny thing is AaronY stole the meme from me.

I'll stop calling him out on it if he admits it.

prideful gimp can't do it.
    I just wanna be like you bruh! Giving them chumpettes whatfor and whatnot! so #alpha

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's a liberal conspiracy!

Where's my potatoe at? Huehuehue
    Go find pretty much any pre VP Quayle dictionary. You'll find the alternative spelling. Or do you think it's a coincidence that such a suddenly high-profile word had it's alternative spelling eradicated? I get that it's in your playbook to point and laugh at any 'conspiracy' that doesn't suit you. But if you believe that (which you don't), then you're even dumber than I've assessed you to be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poor Dan Quayle another casualty in the war on Conservatism by the MSM, liberalism, and maybe even a few illuminatis or two. But we won't forget em! Three cheers to our martyred brother! Hip hip hurrah! Hip Dip Hurderp! Herp derp hurpityderp derp!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Go find pretty much any pre VP Quayle dictionary. You'll find the alternative spelling. Or do you think it's a coincidence that such a suddenly high-profile word had it's alternative spelling eradicated? I get that it's in your playbook to point and laugh at any 'conspiracy' that doesn't suit you. But if you believe that (which you don't), then you're even dumber than I've assessed you to be.
    high profile word
    Eradicated

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    high profile word
    Eradicated
    Like I say, I don't believe you're that dumb. You can cackle if it makes you feel like you're proving anything. I get that you're masking though.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poor Dan Quayle another casualty in the war on Conservatism by the MSM, liberalism, and maybe even a few illuminatis or two. But we won't forget em! Three cheers to our martyred brother! Hip hip hurrah! Hip Dip Hurderp! Herp derp hurpityderp derp!
    It's really not that hard for a few people in pivotal positions to change obscure nomenclature, dude. Good attempt at trying to make it all sound like the grandest of conspiracies, though. Shows how insecure you are about where you stand on this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's really not that hard for a few people in pivotal positions to change obscure nomenclature, dude. Good attempt at trying to make it all sound like the grandest of conspiracies, though. Shows how insecure you are about where you stand on this.
    Even the dictionary is against us now!

Merriam and Webster! em right to ing !

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even the dictionary is against us now!

Merriam and Webster! em right to ing !
    Yea, it's all a big ing coincidence that the alternative spelling of potato was omitted from the dictionary after the media blatantly / erroneously attacked Quayle on it. It's all a big ing coincidence that it was omitted in conjunction with that being the seminal moment of selling the world on his stupidity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea, it's all a big ing coincidence that the alternative spelling of potato was omitted from the dictionary after the media blatantly / erroneously attacked Quayle on it. It's all a big ing coincidence that it was omitted in conjunction with that being the seminal moment of selling the world on his stupidity.
    Burn the dictionaries! Burn em all I say!

wait they don't use books no more hmmm...

Burn the laptops! Burn the tablets! Burn em all mother er!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SNAP CRACKLE POP MOTHER ER!

Take that bish!

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    is he really claiming dictionary conspiracy theories now?

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You shouldn't really debate people that can't admit wrongness. Especially if it's something so simple.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    those who control the means of potato spelling control the people brahs

how is this hard to understand?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Lordie*!

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also noting that tacular was posting images that said "make america white again" before quick editing it before it says edit.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information