Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That's why nobody wants to hire people with Bachelor of Psychology degrees. It's considered a cakewalk degree no matter where you got it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    My sensation and perception teacher was a first year professor and Very nice and sweet. But that was the HARDEST class I ever took. Average grade in the class was a C. I passed only because she liked me and I participated in class.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The hardest final (by far) that I ever took was a take-home. Open-notes only make an exam easy if your professor is lazy and gives you problems he's already solved in class or things that have one-line answers. In my experience open-notes exams are almost always more challenging (and interesting) than ones that expect memorization.
    Agreed. I took a 4th level engineering course and the final was three problems open book/open notes. I burned through an entire legal pad showing my work. We all walked out of there three hours later s shocked. The highest score on the test was a 48.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    That's why nobody wants to hire people with Bachelor of Psychology degrees. It's considered a cakewalk degree no matter where you got it.
    F yeah. That's the only reason I got the degree. Easiest one you can get... and I can't KEEP people from hiring me. I'm too desirable of an employee.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It's all about the professors.

I took a history class at my alma mater. I loved it. The professor was absolutely awesome and you walked out of his lectures feeling like you could give a lecture by yourself if you needed to. This isn't an exaggeration. It literally felt like you were explosively gaining knowledge while in his class (and most of it was retained as well). Awesome. If only every class could be like that.

That said, you had to study for around 6-8 hours for the QUIZZES in his class, to say nothing of the tests, which study groups got together for several days for. NO one aced that class, and only a couple of people got A's. As a non-history major, I was pretty satisfied that I was out-performing several people who had a history major in the class. 48 people signed up for it, and 17 people completed the class with a passing grade. Probably 25+ dropped it after the first two classes. But it was worth it.

Other times, the classes were so easy I could walk through them. I knew more about Astronomy than my Astronomy 101 professor did, and he even told me as much.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Pretty much. Isn't that the degree Ash has, that hasn't helped her at all? I don't think even the Army will take you without a Master's.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Not only is college easy, but even graduate school can be a joke. I don't have a grad degree, but my mother was holding an adjunct position at a supposedly rigorous and prestigious local college (Westminster).

I spent a fair amount of time leafing through papers submitted by her students. It was a ing joke. Some of those 'graduate students' could barely ing write. They were utterly clueless. It's beyond me that they made it through their undergrad degress with good enough grades to get into a grad program. It was laughable.

I've never subscribed to objectivism- except when it comes to higher education. 's a joke.
    grad school was no joke to me nor were some of my upper level courses at a&m.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Problem with people who about having a Psych degree is they think they'll have their dream job right out of college. You still gotta pay your dues for a few years in jobs you may not consider to be ideal.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    Pretty much. Isn't that the degree Ash has, that hasn't helped her at all? I don't think even the Army will take you without a Master's.
    Ineed. Still not backing down saying it was a bad idea. I'll get around to Grad school sometime. Maybe when I can find someone to pay me to go to Grad school.

And if I can't get that to work out I will eventually pay my dues. I have some jobs to apply for today....

But here's my take on the whole "my classes are soooo easy I want to about it...."

Social Psych is still basics. Isn't it like a 200 level class? I can understand that being easy. If you plan on going any farther in Psychology (which it doesn't sound like you are) Social Psych and Developmental Psych are the building blocks of theory in Psychology as far as I can tell.

Like spiego, my Cognition class was taught my a young professor and I think half the reason why the guys stayed alert and awake in the class at 9 o'clock was because she was hot (no denying it...she was like 5'8 skinny, blonde and legs that never ended..but she was a Sooner). Anyway.

The Perception stuff can be easy too, but depending on the intensity can be interesting and intense.At least mine was.

I busted my ass with my Psych degree. In all honesty, I slept through my Spanish degree and only got one B. My Psychology degree was harder then the Spanish degree. It depends on the school, the professors, the school size, the class size, research opportunities, what you're going to do with it it, etc. If you're just getting the psych degree to finish up and to say "Look at me I have a BA (or BS...whatever) then quit your ing. No one really cares.

And finally...lol UTSA.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    You are right, a psych degree is pretty useless. Which is why i chose to abandon it about half way through when offered a real job. Now that i have a stable career and income, i felt like it wouldnt hurt to pad the resume.

If i was relying on it, solely for employment, i would be in a world of hurt.

Regarding open book tests. Apples and Oarnges. For abstract knowledge type stuff, they are, in fact, very easy. I could see how an engineering or any math related open book test would be just as hard as a normal one.

But when i ask you a multiple choice question such as:

The serial position curve in free recall explains both _____ and ____ effects.

It is very easy to go to the index of your book and look up serial position curve. or just find the topic in the class slides and fill in the blanks.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Ineed. Still not backing down saying it was a bad idea. I'll get around to Grad school sometime. Maybe when I can find someone to pay me to go to Grad school.

And if I can't get that to work out I will eventually pay my dues. I have some jobs to apply for today....

But here's my take on the whole "my classes are soooo easy I want to about it...."

Social Psych is still basics. Isn't it like a 200 level class? I can understand that being easy. If you plan on going any farther in Psychology (which it doesn't sound like you are) Social Psych and Developmental Psych are the building blocks of theory in Psychology as far as I can tell.

Like spiego, my Cognition class was taught my a young professor and I think half the reason why the guys stayed alert and awake in the class at 9 o'clock was because she was hot (no denying it...she was like 5'8 skinny, blonde and legs that never ended..but she was a Sooner). Anyway.

The Perception stuff can be easy too, but depending on the intensity can be interesting and intense.At least mine was.

I busted my ass with my Psych degree. In all honesty, I slept through my Spanish degree and only got one B. My Psychology degree was harder then the Spanish degree. It depends on the school, the professors, the school size, the class size, research opportunities, what you're going to do with it it, etc. If you're just getting the psych degree to finish up and to say "Look at me I have a BA (or BS...whatever) then quit your ing. No one really cares.

And finally...lol UTSA.
    UTSA smack? Is Texas Lutheran really > UTSA?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    UTSA smack? Is Texas Lutheran really > UTSA?
    I'm fine with saying that.

Name
    Jess
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Michigan Wolverines
    My degrees are not from any of the universities in question, but I would venture to guess that most of the UTSA/education critics here have yet to earn a degree from any university
    The majority of people I know how about UTSA are people that have worked hard there and gotten their degrees. I have BAs in History and American Studies from UTSA, and the classes there are as hard as you make them to be. VERY few classes will really challenge people (they are out there - you'll know which ones they are because people avoid them and trash the profs on ratemyprofessor.com), it's up to the student to challenge him- or herself, because if you want someone to ing hold your hand through a degree program, the administration will see to it that it happens. I put a ton of work into my degrees, and came out with recommendations good enough to get me into UM, but it's hard not to resent the fact that there are thousands of underachievers to whom the administration caters who cheapen the value of my degrees.

The fact that I could go back and get an MA in history at UTSA without taking the GRE or having recommendations or writing a statement of purpose is ing depressing.

Name
    Jess
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Michigan Wolverines
    And here my oldest will be heading to college in a few years! So many schools, so many decisions and options. And I always here how UTSA is so bad yet I know quite a few friends who graduated from there are doing very well.
    I keep telling her that college is going to be tough and demanding.
    UTSA is a great place to go if you want to end up at grad school somewhere better. It's cheap, relatively easy, and profs tend to be thrilled with motivated students (and they will then write awesome recs for you later). You can learn a lot there - the facilities are nice and new, many of the profs are excellent, and they've even been bringing in some really impressive adjunct faculty in the sciences the last few years, but you have to be self-motivated to achieve your potential.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners

And finally...lol UTSA.
    No one care's that they pay 10s of thousands of dollars to learn next to nothing, and have next to no marketability in the workforce? You are right, for me, it doesnt matter that much, i was lucky i guess in that i got a job completely unrelated to college and ran with it. But how did that work out for you? You regretting spending all that money for the piece of paper? Not really trying to insult you as i commend your effort, but doesnt it feel cheap by the fact a trained monkey could probably do it?

My wife has a Masters in Counseling Psych and BA in Psych, all from Our Lady of the Lake, with an LPC and LSOTP licensing, and 12 years of experience. She would be lucky to get a job making more than 40k a year out of the box. I have no degree, no graduate degree, and no licensing and make quite a bit more than that, doing about 1/4th the work.

She is working hard though and took her measley salary, working on starting her own practice which is already very successfull, and does some contract work. All of that, and she matches my salary in which i sit at home and monitor some websites all day, and engage in this ground breaking conversation with you.

sound fair? or worth it? Kinda makes college seem like a joke, which was my point.

Linger Ficking Good! CuckingFunt's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Sacramento Kings
    The fact that I could go back and get an MA in history at UTSA without taking the GRE or having recommendations or writing a statement of purpose is ing depressing.
    I can only assume that's because you got your BA there, and not because they don't require those things from new applicants. Right? If not... wow.

Name
    Jess
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Michigan Wolverines
    I can only assume that's because you got your BA there, and not because they don't require those things from new applicants. Right? If not... wow.
    It's in the general requirements, and the history department does not require you to have any additional materials to the general application (their site keeps referring back to this page: http://www.graduateschool.utsa.edu/p...il/history_ma/) "Wow" is right.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    Not really trying to insult you as i commend your effort, but doesnt it feel cheap by the fact a trained monkey could probably do it?

No, that's exactly what you're doing and that's exactly what this thread is going to turn in to. Two different camps. One in the school of hard knocks and one in the "I busted my ass for four + years" camp. And there is no amount of arguing that can change what either of us believe. I'll continue to read the thread, but I'm done arguing about it and at this point in my career, it's clear, no obvious apparent, a reality, that my degree in psychology obviously doesn't mean compared to the 100+ years of whatever experience of you all have.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    UTSA is a great place to go if you want to end up at grad school somewhere better. It's cheap, relatively easy, and profs tend to be thrilled with motivated students (and they will then write awesome recs for you later). You can learn a lot there - the facilities are nice and new, many of the profs are excellent, and they've even been bringing in some really impressive adjunct faculty in the sciences the last few years, but you have to be self-motivated to achieve your potential.
    Well, that makes me feel better. Thanks.

Name
    Yvonne
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The majority of people I know how about UTSA are people that have worked hard there and gotten their degrees. I have BAs in History and American Studies from UTSA, and the classes there are as hard as you make them to be. VERY few classes will really challenge people (they are out there - you'll know which ones they are because people avoid them and trash the profs on ratemyprofessor.com), it's up to the student to challenge him- or herself, because if you want someone to ing hold your hand through a degree program, the administration will see to it that it happens. I put a ton of work into my degrees, and came out with recommendations good enough to get me into UM, but it's hard not to resent the fact that there are thousands of underachievers to whom the administration caters who cheapen the value of my degrees.

I'm sure you are absolutely right. As I stated my degrees are not from UTSA, and I've never experienced any of the programs here in San Antonio. I was commenting based on the interactions I have with people here in SA. Most of my inner circle are master's prepared professionals, some from UTSA,---but I've never heard such bashing of UTSA outside of ST. That's why I qualified "most of the UTSA/education critics here have yet to earn a degree".

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    No, that's exactly what you're doing and that's exactly what this thread is going to turn in to. Two different camps. One in the school of hard knocks and one in the "I busted my ass for four + years" camp. And there is no amount of arguing that can change what either of us believe. I'll continue to read the thread, but I'm done arguing about it and at this point in my career, it's clear, no obvious apparent, a reality, that my degree in psychology obviously doesn't mean compared to the 100+ years of whatever experience of you all have.

So basically what you are saying is, your degree is equivalant to getting a BA in Biology? No point unless you are planning on going to med school?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners

No ............. try a bachelors in EE, Mathematics or Architecture at Utsa and then tell us its a cake walk.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    USC Trojans
    So basically what you are saying is, your degree is equivalant to getting a BA in Biology? No point unless you are planning on going to med school?
    What I'm saying is that there is no point in arguing the worst of my education. Because it is my education and you all can suck it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    And here my oldest will be heading to college in a few years! So many schools, so many decisions and options. And I always here how UTSA is so bad yet I know quite a few friends who graduated from there are doing very well.
    I keep telling her that college is going to be tough and demanding.
    Some departments at UTSA are better than others. For example, the engineering and sciences departments have been receiving a lot of funding and have hired some faculty that are renowned within their field.

The social sciences departments don't receive the same amount of funding and there are some departments that have not been able to offer a variety of courses because they don't have enough professors.

Even though a department may not have an outstanding reputation, they may contain some professors who have contacts and can provide the necessary recommendations to open doors for graduate study at a more prestigious university. Many have taken this rout and have ended up at universities that offer more specialized studies. This is something that I might choose to do.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    You are right, a psych degree is pretty useless. Which is why i chose to abandon it about half way through when offered a real job. Now that i have a stable career and income, i felt like it wouldnt hurt to pad the resume.

If i was relying on it, solely for employment, i would be in a world of hurt.

Regarding open book tests. Apples and Oarnges. For abstract knowledge type stuff, they are, in fact, very easy. I could see how an engineering or any math related open book test would be just as hard as a normal one.

But when i ask you a multiple choice question such as:

The serial position curve in free recall explains both _____ and ____ effects.

It is very easy to go to the index of your book and look up serial position curve. or just find the topic in the class slides and fill in the blanks.
    Like I said, that's the exam of a lazy professor, not an indictment of open-book exams. It's not like long-format answers are something exclusive to math and engineering. I consider it being cheated out of my money when I get an exam with questions like that.

Thread Information