Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As a borderline All-star player maybe, he can still be a great role player for a contender.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's not going to get any significant offers from anybody playing the way he's been playing this season..it's too risky..he'll get plenty of low-level offers though, especially from contenders IMO..he's still a winner that has great basketball IQ, but he definitely doesn't deserve all-star caliber $ at this point of his career..right now, he's an average player..hopefully he can bounce back, obviously this team is screwed without his usual talent-level..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs aren't being more aggressive with Manu's extension because they're still trying to judge how healthy he will remain and what kind of level he will return to. If Manu were being the Manu of old, they would've extended his contract a while ago.

It may be risky to let him venture into free agency, but extending his contract now is like going all in before the flop. Nobody knows what kind of player Manu is going to be going forward yet, and the Spurs are wise to not make any assumptions in that regard.

Who’s to say he wouldn’t be open to playing in a vibrant, international city like Miami, New York or the foreign-player friendly Toronto.
    Yes, I'm sure Manu is very uncomfortable in latin-friendly San Antonio.

Spurs Fanatic
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It'll be interesting. Manu's not anywhere where he used to be but just like tonight he can still bring some intangibles that make his teammates better even if he can't play like he used to. He will still get interest from other teams even though it'll probably be for a lot less money now. If the Spurs aren't successful this season I'm not sure Manu comes back or the Spurs bring him back. Manu has some other teams he's interested in. If he can't get an offer with a good or contending team I heard Manu say in a interview that he would maybe consider going back to Europe.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Spurs end season (championship, lottery - nvm) with healthy Manu, they sit , talk about extension and get a deal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu we love you , stay in SA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    some of yall are some ungrateful mofos seriously...do you guys even realize how great the 6-yr 48 million dollar deal Manu got in 2004 was for the team? Look at the deal RJ is currently on and signed around the same time it was in 80 million range, Rashard Lewis got a max contract from Orlando, Joe Johnson who had not accomplished nearly as much as Manu up to that point also received a max contract, Ben Gordon last year in horrible economy and with the salary cap expected to drop got a 70 million contract. I could go on, point being that Manu gave the Spurs a huge break and did not demand anywhere near what he was actually worth. The man is as loyal as they come, he loves this organization and city. Yet some of yall want the Spurs to let him go or for them to lowball him? GTFO, give the man a fair deal and keep him here. Thats all it'll take, as long as the the front office doesnt follow the advice of some ignorant people on here and insult him by lowballing, he'll stay. He's too loyal to leave.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is actually being talked about in LA. Kobe (and the Lakers) will look at the list of 2010 free agents and while LeBron, Bosh and Wade seem nice the only realistic option is Manu. Full MLE offer of near 6 million. Manu will be tempted.
    I'm sure you're right. And that would be tough for me. I'd hate to see Manu play for the Lakers.

I think there may be more interest around the league in Manu than expected. There's almost always some team that will overpay for a player, and his "team-first" mentality will make coaches and FO's want him there to show the younger players how to play. And in this tough economy there may be some teams that think Manu can help get people from the Latin community in the seats. And there is always Europe...

I want Manu here, even if he's in a reduced role. For his complete basketball career he will be in the HOF, and just the perfect teammate.

I give his chance of staying at around 50%. I fully expect someone to give him an offer that is significantly larger than what the Spurs give him. And he's made so much less money than Parker or Duncan, and with the career coming to an end, if the Lakers for example offer more money and seem more likely to win championships, it will be really tough for him to stay. Sad day for us all if it happens.

draft bust
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think wade and james could be on the same team if james leaves cleveland

if I am cavs I see what it would take to get wade now
    wade just has to say I am out of here

no one is talking about manu because he is a plan c plan right now
    he plays better he might get up to plan b
    I know some spurs fans want to go after another FA, but i think lebron is the best one. Also the best player to play allong side tim is kobe. With lebron we can sort of recreate kobe-shaq with lebron-tim. We don't have enough cash to sign both wade and lebron though like you suggested.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    some of yall are some ungrateful mofos seriously...do you guys even realize how great the 6-yr 48 million dollar deal Manu got in 2004 was for the team? Look at the deal RJ is currently on and signed around the same time it was in 80 million range, Rashard Lewis got a max contract from Orlando, Joe Johnson who had not accomplished nearly as much as Manu up to that point also received a max contract, Ben Gordon last year in horrible economy and with the salary cap expected to drop got a 70 million contract. I could go on, point being that Manu gave the Spurs a huge break and did not demand anywhere near what he was actually worth. The man is as loyal as they come, he loves this organization and city. Yet some of yall want the Spurs to let him go or for them to lowball him? GTFO, give the man a fair deal and keep him here. Thats all it'll take, as long as the the front office doesnt follow the advice of some ignorant people on here and insult him by lowballing, he'll stay. He's too loyal to leave.
    It was great for the team in 04-05, 05-06, and 06-07. Not so good in 07-08 and 08-09 as his body gave out both seasons. He's certainly not playing up to his $10.75 million contract this season. Fair value is a huge paycut from $11 million a year; the Spurs would be insane to offer him anything more than about $6.5 - $7.5 million. As much as I love Manu, the Spurs cannot afford to pay based on past accomplishments when the last three years have been so underwhelming. Manu most certainly has not aged like a fine wine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your numbers are wrong too; Manu's contract paid him $52 million. The fact that he was a restricted free agent did a lot to kill his value on the FA market, and Denver was the only suitor to make him a serious offer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It'll be interesting. Manu's not anywhere where he used to be but just like tonight he can still bring some intangibles that make his teammates better even if he can't play like he used to. He will still get interest from other teams even though it'll probably be for a lot less money now. If the Spurs aren't successful this season I'm not sure Manu comes back or the Spurs bring him back. Manu has some other teams he's interested in. If he can't get an offer with a good or contending team I heard Manu say in a interview that he would maybe consider going back to Europe.

How do you know he is interested in "some other teams"? Just wanted to know...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm a lot less optimistic; I put it at 65% at best. The Spurs would be damn fools to not lowball the out of Manu, and as bad as the economic conditions are, there are tons of teams that have huge capspace that are going to have to spend it somewhere.
    Two years ago, I would have agreed with you, but teams don't seem to be the profligate spenders they were during the boom. Most aren't even keeping a 14th or 15th player this year.

They're lining up for LeBron/Bosh/Wade, but I don't think they'll just spend MAX dollars on someone just to spend.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I for one am a HUGE Manu fan and I just wish all the Spurs players had his heart and passion for the game. But as a Spurs fan I understand that while we won't low ball him we will not be offering starter money for him to stay. He is a good sixth man but his body will not hold up to starter minutes and I belive we still need to get taller and athletic.

The biggest question for 2010 is will Splitter come over because if he does we have a chance and if he doesn't we don't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two years ago, I would have agreed with you, but teams don't seem to be the profligate spenders they were during the boom. Most aren't even keeping a 14th or 15th player this year.

They're lining up for LeBron/Bosh/Wade, but I don't think they'll just spend MAX dollars on someone just to spend.
    Let's be pessimistic and say the cap drastically drops, to say, $53 million. Here's a list of the capspace that's going to be available:

New Jersey: $27.4 million
    New York: $25.7 million
    Minnesota: $17.9 million
    LA Clippers: $14 million
    Oklahoma City: $12 million
    Miami: $10.7 million (assuming they can bring Wade back at max money)
    Houston: $10 million
    Sacramento: $10 million
    Chicago: $9.1 million

Every team other than the Clippers is going to use every cent of that space. You have to think Sacramento will make an offer, as will Chicago, and probably Miami. D'Antoni has a hard-on for players like Manu, so you know New York will pay big money without thinking twice if they can't get a second young star out of that capspace. On top of that, if Bosh walks Toronto is going to have $7 million that Colangelo would be dying to spend to get another international player.... and this is a best case scenario for the Spurs; that the cap takes a tremendous hit to neuter Manu's market value. There's just too much money out there for me to be really confident that the Spurs can afford to keep Manu, and by the way he was talking at the beginning of the season, he did not sound like he's all that eager to take a pay cut to stay.

draft bust
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    demand for manu might actual go up for manu if people think he is a "cheap" option.

Sort of how a car for 100,000 will have more demand if it is on sale for 20,000.

manu the new door buster, only 1 in stock

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your numbers are wrong too; Manu's contract paid him $52 million. The fact that he was a restricted free agent did a lot to kill his value on the FA market, and Denver was the only suitor to make him a serious offer.
    Denver never even made him an offer... it never got to that point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he finishes the season healthy, I think the Spurs will give him a 2 year/$20M deal.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he finishes the season healthy, I think the Spurs will give him a 2 year/$20M deal.
    Agreed. I've been saying this since last season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs should just let other teams set the value for manu and then see if they want to match it or not

yes I know he is not restricted
    but I think manu would atleast let the spurs have the opurtunity to match

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, considering it's probably his last contract in the NBA (that's not a vet min contract), and that he's got two boys coming, I'm sure he'll listen to any and all the offers out there. I think that unless some team throws a bad contract and ridiculous money at him, he's probably going to work an extension and staying...
    But if Malik got paid... You can't rule that out either...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, considering it's probably his last contract in the NBA (that's not a vet min contract), and that he's got two boys coming, I'm sure he'll listen to any and all the offers out there. I think that unless some team throws a bad contract and ridiculous money at him, he's probably staying...
    But if Malik got paid... You can't rule that out either...
    yeah 54 million is not enough for 2 boys

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the knicks could offer manu crazy money if they get one star fa and no other one joins them

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah 54 million is not enough for 2 boys
    If you can get 5 more millions and secure the wellbeing of 6 or more future possible grandchildren, why wouldn't you do it?

Maybe none of them will ever have a chance to earn millions of dollars...
    You're just not thinking into the future...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol

manu should have enough now to give each kid 10 million

Thread Information