Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I travelled to the US in february with my two kids (ages 1.5 and 3) and was expecting the body scan, and with my wife we agreed we would rather do a manual search, on the assumption that no one touches your kids and they just ask you to remove their clothing. (otherwise, I would have preferred the scanner). But much to our surprise neither us or our kids were asked to do the body scan. We even took a domestic flight and again no body scan (LAX to SFO for those curious), just a traditional metal detector (people without children did have to body scan). For the domestic flight, we were only carrying our home-country ID and not a passport; the TSA dude had to call his boss and fiddle around for a good 15 minutes till deciding the ID was valid. of course, when we travelled by train from LA to SF there was no security whatsoever.

overall, the TSA was less intrusive than I expected, but still pretty stupid-
    when we were going back home my wife accidentally left a huge, stainless steel pair of seamstress scissors in the kids carry-on bag. It wasnt caught by security, until we reached Peru for a connecting flight. The xray machine has nothing to do with body scan vs metal detector and is at this point easily the weakest link in the security setup; how sad is it that the operators in Peru did their job better than the ones in San Francisco?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have lost your mind.
    I disagree. I would actually question the sanity of people allowing their children's genitalia to be touched by complete strangers under the guise of pseudo-security. Strange times we're living in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Congress: The TSA Is Wasting Hundreds of Millions In Taxpayer Dollars

"The House Oversight Committee has come out with a report slamming the TSA for tremendous amounts of waste, specifically in the 'deployment and storage' of its scanning equipment. Basically, it sounds like the TSA likes to go on giant spending sprees, buying up security equipment and then never, ever using it."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sacramento International is poised to become the third major U.S. airport in the post-Sept. 11 era to employ private security at checkpoints instead of federal agents.

Officials with the Transportation Security Administration announced Friday they have approved the airport's application to replace TSA agents with private contractors. Airport officials made the request in April after Congress expanded an opt-out clause in the federal law that created the TSA.

Airport Director Hardy Acree said he believes private screeners can do a more efficient job than government employees and provide the same level of security.
    "We're a fan of the private-public partnerships," Acree said. "I think there is going to be a higher level of customer service."
    http://www.sacbee.com/2012/07/28/466...l-airport.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How's that gonna work? A federal agent has the authority to detain you and possibly interrogate you. Are we going to be handing those to private companies too now?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    good question. tend to doubt it, tho.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Authority can usually be delegated.

I wonder how many pedophiles will be applying.

Thread Information