Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs can somehow get Mikal Bridges on this roster for the veteran that would be perfect.
    It would be perfect yeah.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me at this point, Risacher or Walter and one of Dillingham or Sheppard would really fill some gaps. If Topic falls to the Toronto pick I’d be good with that too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, the % isn’t inflated if the low volume is purposeful and the hypothetical is that the line-up he’s in has enough volume shooters already. Since when was being a catch and shooter who shoots at low volume whose central focus are other things on the court because the other players already do it a bad thing?

I wouldn’t want every player on the court with Wemby to be each shooting 4-5+ threes a game. And we shouldn’t penalize a player’s skill who’s not shooting that often because that’s not the expectation in the first place.
    Welcome to being a good team in 2024

Boston has the best starting 5 in the league and their lowest volume 3pt shooter averages 4.5 attempts and makes 42% of them. Giannis is the only starter on the Bucks who doesn’t shoot more than 4 per game.

Everyone one the clippers gets them up besides zubac.

only Gordon doesnt shoot more than 3 for denver. Same with gobert for minnesota
    Last edited by spurraider21; 01-06-2024 at 02:20 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs can somehow get Mikal Bridges on this roster for the veteran that would be perfect.
    I'd give a good bit for him.... but probably not as much as they'd want
    Last edited by mo7888; 01-06-2024 at 03:33 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me at this point, Risacher or Walter and one of Dillingham or Sheppard would really fill some gaps. If Topic falls to the Toronto pick I’d be good with that too.
    Agree fully.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Boston has the best starting 5 in the league and their lowest volume 3pt shooter averages 4.5 attempts and makes 42% of them. Giannis is the only starter on the Bucks who doesn’t shoot more than 4 per game.

You know ball.

We need every player to be at least a threat so the defense can't implode to the paint. It will make Wembys job much easier, and the rest of the offense easier.
    Brook Lopez works with Giannis because he can shoot, frees up the lane on offense for Giannis.

You don't want players who can't shoot from behind the arc, it hurts your offense tremendously in the modern NBA. You can only really have 1 non-shooter on the floor MAX at any point. You see this with the lakers currently.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know ball.

We need every player to be at least a threat so the defense can't implode to the paint. It will make Wembys job much easier, and the rest of the offense easier.
    Brook Lopez works with Giannis because he can shoot, frees up the lane on offense for Giannis.

You don't want players who can't shoot from behind the arc, it hurts your offense tremendously in the modern NBA. You can only really have 1 non-shooter on the floor MAX at any point. You see this with the lakers currently.
    that bucks game, u see how lopez or any fkn clown bigger then him was pushing him around on the floor... he needs to put on muscle, maybe similar to giannis when he came into the league or like golbert....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The lack of ball pressure and general "want to" on defense is the key reason for the large, losing margins along with no starting quality NBA point guard. Uncontested threes in huge volume is getting old the last couple of years.

There are situations when very good PGs can be had even in the late first, early second round due to "Old" players with a lot of college experience (Brunson for example) or a Euro that might have a short term contract issue (Dragic).

I just hope the FO's scouting team is equipped to make correct evaluations going forward. At least SA will have a large number of draft opportunities in the next five years to turn the talent level around. Signing a vet or two will be necessary too due to the recent draft whiffs from 2018-2022.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs rank 29th in the league in 3P%, and I really just read on this here website that we have enough shooters?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs rank 29th in the league in 3P%, and I really just read on this here website that we have enough shooters?
    You have to look at the poster who says it tbh. They are trolls or don’t watch other teams at all. There’s nobody who watches contending championship teams and says we don’t need more shooting or even volume shooters. We need good volume shooters from the outside. Literally every good team has high volume good 3 point shooters. We have one and he struggles bc he’s the only shooter

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You have to look at the poster who says it tbh. They are trolls or don’t watch other teams at all. There’s nobody who watches contending championship teams and says we don’t need more shooting or even volume shooters. We need good volume shooters from the outside. Literally every good team has high volume good 3 point shooters. We have one and he struggles bc he’s the only shooter
    Give me a break. Up until now it’s been a civil discussion but then you run into an opposing view and can’t help resort to personal attacks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, the % isn’t inflated if the low volume is purposeful and the hypothetical is that the line-up he’s in has enough volume shooters already. Since when was being a catch and shooter who shoots at low volume whose central focus are other things on the court because the other players already do it a bad thing?

I wouldn’t want every player on the court with Wemby to be each shooting 4-5+ threes a game. And we shouldn’t penalize a player’s skill who’s not shooting that often because that’s not the expectation in the first place.
    It's still inflated and largely irrelevant because he's essentially taking practice shots and not spacing the floor because the volume is so low and the track record so limited.

They have one credible volume 3-point shooter that plays significant minutes and only two others (Champagnie) worth regarding from 3.

Everyone doesn't need to be a "laser", but more than one do or even if they get a quality playmaker, they'll be the Lakers, who have mostly been a poor half court offensive team in the James/Davis era.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Give me a break. Up until now it’s been a civil discussion but then you run into an opposing view and can’t help resort to personal attacks.
    It’s not personal. But it’s so wrong that it begs the issue of whether or not you watch other teams. And I’m still being civil. If you’re not a troll (and that’s seemingly the only non personal reference in my statement) then you are the latter. It’s ok to admit it

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s not personal. But it’s so wrong that it begs the issue of whether or not you watch other teams. And I’m still being civil. If you’re not a troll (and that’s seemingly the only non personal reference in my statement) then you are the latter. It’s ok to admit it
    You've been here long enough to know Dejounte isn't a troll...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing “begs” the issue of questioning what another person does or doesn’t do. That’s the other personal reference. Plenty of posts before yours presented their own perspectives, and their own examples without getting into my business. “It’s ok to admit it” uh, ok I don’t know why you’re trying to one-up me like this is some sort of contest. If it comforts you to believe I’m one way or another, you’re obviously free to do that. I’m just calling out the unnecessary effort to detract the conversation because you so wildly disagree with the concepts that are being discussed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Nuggets are arguably the team that the Spurs should mirror in the future. Wemby, like Jokic, is not the quickest player out there and is likely to have endurance issues if he was forced to be on a running team. Normally, a team with volume shooters have faster pace to take advantage of said shooters. If we look at their starters and 3 pt attempts:

Jokic - 3.2
    KCP - 3.5
    Gordon - 2.0
    Porter - 7.1
    Murray - 5.7

obviously, the 4-5+ 3pa’s was just an arbitrary number I put out there but the Nuggets only have 3 volume shooters (if we say that three 3 pt attempts a game is a volume shooter) and they are very successful. So… a good team in 2024 can get it done without 4 volume 3 pt shooters in their line up since a team won a championship in 2023 without meeting that criteria.

I guess this sort of fits as a response to TD 21 so I’m tagging you too.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 01-06-2024 at 05:19 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You've been here long enough to know Dejounte isn't a troll...
    Tbh I’ve been here too long where I think he kinda is one. Dude takes everything personally.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Nuggets are arguably the team that the Spurs should mirror in the future. Wemby, like Jokic, is not the quickest player out there and is likely to have endurance issues if he was forced to be on a running team. Normally, a team with volume shooters have faster pace to take advantage of said shooters. If we look at their starters and 3 pt attempts:

Jokic - 3.2
    KCP - 3.5
    Gordon - 2.0
    Porter - 7.1
    Murray - 5.7

obviously, the 4-5+ 3pa’s was just an arbitrary number I put out there but the Nuggets only have 3 volume shooters (if we say that three 3 pt attempts a game is a volume shooter) and they are very successful. So… a good team in 2024 can get it done without 4 volume 3 pt shooters in their line up since a team won a championship in 2023 without meeting that criteria.

But basically all of their reserves besides Jordan shoot 3s as well. Reggie Jackson averages 4 per game off the bench. So even if kcp only shoots 3.5 in his minutes, his backup hoists them up as well. They don’t have a Tre, Branham, Sochan at all who comes in scared to shoot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh I’ve been here too long where I think he kinda is one. Dude takes everything personally.
    imo he’s just on the younger side

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Jokic - 3.2
    KCP - 3.5
    Gordon - 2.0
    Porter - 7.1
    Murray - 5.7

I'm not sure I agree with you about Wemby having endurance issues, however i do think you bring up a good point about our iden y. We're all over the place with the kind of guys we want to draft or trade for, but we have to decide what type of team we want to be going forward if we are to know what players fit the best. I personally want to surround Wemby with 3D wings and spread the court and play with aggression of D leading to transition buckets and i want a half court offense based on ball movement (call me a sucker for the beautiful game there).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Jokic - 3.2
    KCP - 3.5
    Gordon - 2.0
    Porter - 7.1
    Murray - 5.7

To admit that you don’t watch other teams was my point.

Bc the team you chose is one we don’t have the roster for and won’t probably ever have. I doubt Wemby will ever be as good as Jokic on offense. The whole offensive system works bc of Jokic. His ability to find any player cutting or moving or on transition or in half court settings is unparalleled. I’d argue he’s the best passer in the game today. And Wemby will never be that. Now he has a different set of skills but the reason why Gordon even works offensively is all bc of Jokic.

Also Denver has a bonafide Robin in Murray (Kentucky guard so let’s get Dilly) who in the playoffs last year shot a ridiculous percentage from the floor last year. It was historic tbh. Murray and Porter averaged nine 3FGAs a game against the Lakers and Jokic and Porter were both at 4 and 4.5 respectively. Even Gordon was at 3.8. My point is tho we don’t have a player like Murray who can take over an offense by himself AND get others open looks as well. If you’re model for the Spurs is for Wemby to become the best passer in the NBA, average 30 point triple doubles, and dominate the paint making AD useless while having a guy in Murray average 36 a game on 40% 3pt shooting at 9 a game then yeah let’s copy that.

Currently this team has zero shooters. Maybe Vassell but let’s see how consistent he is going forward. I have hope for him. But Wemby needs to be surrounded by shooters. If you take out Sochans hot shooting start, the dude is averaging in the 20% at 3. Wemby is at 20 something percent. Collins is at 20 something percent. Tre Jones is at 21% and made zero his last 5 games. We don’t need ANOTHER non shooter when the whole team is filled with them. Idc how smart a player he is. Our starting SF needs to be able to shoot the ball. Period

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are 11th in the league in 3PA/game, so it’s not like our team lacks the volume, it’s that our players suck at them. Hence why I find the notion that we don’t need more shooters kind of odd.

It doesn’t help that our highest volume shooter (Devin, leading the team at 7.0 3PA) also happens to be the worst in the NBA at 3PA Quality (meaning, he takes the toughest three point shots in the league). Considering Devin is still making 38%, there is a good point to be made about how the offense creates these 3PAs, but there is also a good counter point that in today’s NBA, you need 4 shooters on the court. Our lineups routinely lack shooters, because our team is full of non-shooters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Devin (and everybody else) would regularly get better quality looks with a good point guard

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with the NBA...and most of its fans it seems...is the obsession with "shooting" and offense.

I could give a damn whether Dunn can shoot a 3 or not. His Defense is next level. Everyone on the SPURS right now are supposed "shooters" and offense guys. There ain't a Defensive guy on the team, except Wemby. Where has that got us? Bottom of the league.

The problem with the Spurs ain't shooting or offense. We don't need "better" shooters. Everyone on the Spurs right now think they're a scorer...when most are not. Vassell and Wemby are the only legit scorers. I'd trade Keldon for Dunn in a heartbeat. We need less shooters. But, what we really need is Defense and more BBIQ. DUNN has both. And guess what happens when you have DUNN and WEMBY inside? The other 3 players don't have to collapse on defense anymore. They can stay outside and actually guard the 3 point line.

This game ain't hard folks.

And, coincidentally...that's the main problem with the NBA today overall. Everyone is looking for the next Curry. The game has really suffered as a result...and the SPURS are the poster child
    Even Bruce Bowen would have been unplayable if he shot 19% from the three, much less the much easier college three. If Dunn can't get that number up to 30% he can't be a building block of this team. Spurs would be playing 4 on 5 every possession with extremely aggressive doubles and triples on Victor constantly knowing Dunn couldn't make anyone pay for it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Jokic - 3.2
    KCP - 3.5
    Gordon - 2.0
    Porter - 7.1
    Murray - 5.7

3PA rate is the better way to view it . . . second column is their 3pt%.

Jokic: 17.8% - 34.2%
    Murray: 36.1% - 42%
    Gordon: 18.8% - 29.5%
    Porter Jr. : 53.7% - 39.8%
    Caldwell-Pope: 45.9% - 0 39.8%

Four legit threats, including 2.5 volume shooters and 3 "lasers".

Thread Information