Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Name
    Christy
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Funny, I got paddled with the big stick when I was a freshman at Roosevelt.

And considering I hated the adminstrator that, well, administered it ... it wasn't as fun as it was cut out to be.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    for those that got a somewhat negative perception of teaching from what I originally posted, just wanted to throw out a two-month-in update....

now that's she's shown that she's gonna stay awhile, she has gotten more and more supplies, tools, ideas, etc to help make her life more pleasant.

She also finally has all the finalized rosters that come equipped with parent phone numbers to which she has taken the time to call all the jerky students parents and discussed their behaviors.
    (Listening to these conversations with some of these parents has been disheartening and disgusting in some instances. How parents take their kids' side or make excuses for them in these situations is beyond me.)

Many of the rotten eggs have removed themselves from class due to their excessive absences and some have been removed due to their behavior, so she is actually getting some production out of them and many that were borderline have now turned away from the darkside and are enjoying the class.

She is now loving what she is doing and feels she is in the right place at the right time.

Life be good in the Blake household.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement........I passed them along.
    Last edited by Blake; 12-01-2008 at 04:16 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    I think a student's bad behavior in school needs to be dealt with and begins at home. Now I know that not all parents can control their kids behavior in school but I don't expect teachers to have to spend time disciplining when they are teaching. Proper respect for teachers begins at home.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    it think once she adjusts to the schedule, working 9 months a year for that amount of money isn't all that bad.
    I've always heard that "working 9 months out the year" is BS.

i support single moms tonylongoriafan's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    I've always heard that "working 9 months out the year" is BS.
    okay...9.5 months

seriously, wtf do teachers do in june, july, and early august?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes
    okay...9.5 months

Keeping up with teaching standards, planning, meetings, etc. But that is just what I've heard so I could be wrong.

Che cazzo stai dicendo? DisgruntledLionFan#54,927's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons

Either jack , vacation or pick up another job.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    okay...9.5 months

recharge from working the 60-70 hours a week during Sept - May.

figure in the the other holidays if you wish, but do the math of roughly 34-38 weeks of 60-70 hour work weeks compared to 49-52 weeks of 40 hour work.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Ohio State Buckeyes

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Does she like all the holidays?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners

figure in the the other holidays if you wish, but do the math of roughly 34-38 weeks of 60-70 hour work weeks compared to 49-52 weeks of 40 hour work.
    70 hours? 6 to 6 with a 30 min lunch is 11.5 hours x 5 days a week is 57.5 hours...then maybe grading papers a few nites a week 2 hrs x 2 nites adds another 4 = 61.5 and then lesson planning another 8 hours on the weekends gets you to your 70 hours...is this seriously work schedule? c'mon? no commute time, pep rallies, sporting events, in service work days/student holidays...not trying to be an ass about it, i'm seriously wondering...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons

Those hours/week numbers only relate to green teachers.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Detroit Pistons
    70 hours? 6 to 6 with a 30 min lunch is 11.5 hours x 5 days a week is 57.5 hours...then maybe grading papers a few nites a week 2 hrs x 2 nites adds another 4 = 61.5 and then lesson planning another 8 hours on the weekends gets you to your 70 hours...is this seriously work schedule? c'mon? no commute time, pep rallies, sporting events, in service work days/student holidays...not trying to be an ass about it, i'm seriously wondering...
    They do typically work that many hours when they first start out because they have to develop their entire curriculum, take longer grading because it's new to them, etc.

Once they have a few years under their belt, that number drops significantly for most.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Mrs. ASF's gonna love this. Thanks, Joe!!!

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    730-430 (30 min lunch) 8.5 x 5 = 40+

can't give you an exact minute by minute breakdown, but there are plenty of incidentals that add up that you don't realize that you don't expect.

I've gone and helped her do some things in the classroom myself on Saturday such as setting up a power point projector, hanging up posters, decorations.
    You have the paper grading, phone calls, before/after school tutoring for those that ask and make appointments, after school meetings, lesson plans and more that I'm not thinking about all add up to anywhere from 60-70 hours a week.

(again, I didn't say "70 hours every week")

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Those hours/week numbers only relate to green teachers.
    ok, if you say so.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Does she like all the holidays?
    she liked the thanksgiving week off........Ill let you know about the others when they come....

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Yes, they do.

http://www.apollogrp.edu/Careers/Job...?ReqNbr=100141

However, it wouldn't surprise me to see, in some cir stance, a guidance counselor to on a pay rate similar to a teacher.

I can't speak for elementary or middle school, but I would assume high school counselors having a heftier workload.

And I can't confirm the 3 month vacation. I believe they may have a 2-4 week vacation during summer.
    Ha Ha UOP represent! Good to see we pay well even at our newly acquired high school.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I have a friend who taught science to 9th graders at Beaumont Ozen for a few months, his BP went way up, gave him a few transient ischemic strokes, had to quit. He had to break up many fights ... between girls. Had to quit for medical reasons.

Teachers of such schools have tough jobs and high turnover rates. I think the average K-12 teaching career in TX in under 5 years, about the same as the NFL.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I know teachers with 20 years under their belts who still work from 7 AM to 6 PM every day- plus time on weekends. Others add in time for extra curricular activities, committees, etc... It depends on their dedication.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I know teachers with 20 years under their belts who still work from 7 AM to 6 PM every day- plus time on weekends. Others add in time for extra curricular activities, committees, etc... It depends on their dedication.
    my mom mostly taught English in a private school, so her work load was a little lighter, but there were weeks that she had tons of papers to read and grade.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Glad to hear its working out for her Blake.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    730-430 (30 min lunch) 8.5 x 5 = 40+

can't give you an exact minute by minute breakdown, but there are plenty of incidentals that add up that you don't realize that you don't expect.

I've gone and helped her do some things in the classroom myself on Saturday such as setting up a power point projector, hanging up posters, decorations.
    You have the paper grading, phone calls, before/after school tutoring for those that ask and make appointments, after school meetings, lesson plans and more that I'm not thinking about all add up to anywhere from 60-70 hours a week.

(again, I didn't say "70 hours every week")
    yeah...i guess i'm just jealous about the summer months. i'll probably never take a real vacation during those months because that's our busy time.

anyway, a friend of mine in his late 20's just started teaching 3rd grade and he says it's crazy tough...i guess it's hard to understand unless you experience it first hand...if she can handle it and likes it i'm glad it's working out for ya'll...i'm really interested in seeing how she likes the extended time off during the summer and around christmas, what is that like 3 weeks?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Tell her if she is going to mess around with a student to keep it hush hush
    and not to fall in love
    and to find a girl for you

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Glad to hear its working out for her Blake.
    Thanks, although nobody is as glad as me.

Thread Information