Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't like those fitted, modern jerseys very much. Of the recent ones, I like this one the most:

The new one looks nice, I dig the collar, but the away is also too modern IMO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't like those fitted, modern jerseys very much. Of the recent ones, I like this one the most:

The new one looks nice, I dig the collar, but the away is also too modern IMO
    That is the ugliest shirt in Argetina's history imo.
    Last edited by DAF86; 06-18-2011 at 03:16 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Definitely up there. That looks like a 12 year old made a rough draft and no one even bother editing it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Argentina-Albania friendly on ESPN3. Goal in the 6th minute, Messi assists Lavezzi. Good to finally see the real players playing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lavezzi just returned the favor in assisting Messi. Nice build up and goal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Argentina is the champion of meaningless midfield passing with no depth. Somebody tell Batista that passing and passing in the midfield isn't the same as "playing like Barça".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, DiMaria is so overrated. The guy has no right foot, and only seem to give a when attacking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Argentina is the champion of meaningless midfield passing with no depth. Somebody tell Batista that passing and passing in the midfield isn't the same as "playing like Barça".
    While I've barely watched much of this game (just happened to get lucky in seeing both goals in the few mins I watched), I know exactly what you mean. It can be very frustrating. I think a lot of it has to do with the team as a whole not moving very well without the ball, relative to the firepower the team has. That's just my opinion, but it's just damn frustrating to see years of awesome talent go to waste, especially the 2010 WC. Granted Germany was an awesome team, they still shouldn't have had any business being knocked out in the quarterfinals. Sick of being knocked out by the Germans, especially 06, that was a fluke.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, DiMaria is so overrated. The guy has no right foot, and only seem to give a when attacking.

I'm finally beginning to understand what lefty has been preaching all year long .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is not even "the best" Albania team (whatever that turd is anyways). We should be up 6-0 before starting to waste time with meaningless passing...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    meaningless midfield passing is a whole lot better than useless long balls or mindless forwards runs that only leads to losing possession of the ball. At least if you have "meaningless possession" you can't get scored on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagreed, I like Di Maria a lot. It's true that he has no right foot but he's fast, has a great first touch and ball control, and with Mourinho he has grown a lot tactically and in terms of work rate without the ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    meaningless midfield passing is a whole lot better than useless long balls or mindless forwards runs that only leads to losing possession of the ball. At least if you have "meaningless possession" you can't get scored on.
    Possession of the ball is meaningless without actually having depth in attack. When the circuit is Banega, Mascherano, Biglia, Zanetti and back to Banega the other team is winning that battle. Teams like Barça actually keep probing and moving forward as they pass around. They move from back to middle pretty quickly, and eventually they do their passing routine from the middle to the front of the penalty area, where they can actually do damage.

Unfortunately, in Argentina, Messi seems to be the only one actually able to do something different on offense (both on passing and getting past defenders somewhat at will), which makes this team very predictable, IMO. I did like what Agüero brought in this game though.

And we've proven for well over a decade that having possession and getting scored on are not mutually exclusive. When you have a fairly mediocre defense, it doesn't take more than a couple of chances.

Disagreed, I like Di Maria a lot. It's true that he has no right foot but he's fast, has a great first touch and ball control, and with Mourinho he has grown a lot tactically and in terms of work rate without the ball.
    I disagree. That's all he has, running. He actually has terrible ball control. Unless he's outracing somebody he can't dribble himself out of anything. He's a fairly poor passer. In a nuts he's all vertigo and no brains.
    His 'defense' can be summed up as running to the person with the ball, and either standing in front of him waiting for the guy to pass or just fouling him.

I was really high on him when he was with the youth teams, and I thought that as he would grow his game would get more polish, but he's just as raw as back then. Pretty disappointed actually.
    Last edited by ElNono; 06-20-2011 at 09:04 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW watching Messi play outside of Barcelona makes you appreciate just how good he is. In Barcelona he's obviously regarded as the best player by pretty much everybody but in most games he has the luxury of staying upfront and rest or dropping back to get in touch with the ball but just to make some passes and chill a bit. In argentina he doesn't have the teammates he has in Barcelona so he knows he has to do a lot more. He has to drop back to miedfield get past a couple of defenders, make a "through pass" and sprint to the box to finish off plays. He has to be Messi, Xavi and Iniesta all in one, there's virtually no offensive play that can be made without the intervention of Messi in Argentina, it's both mind blowing and disturbing to watch for me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Di Maria is talented but he seems to have a low football IQ. He's overrated imo. I didn't understand how Mourinho played him instead of Ozil against Madrid

I'll root for for argentina as always.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you people trying to analyze yesterday´s friendly game vs Albania? Really?
    It was just a training...

By the way...Messi´s assist to Aguero for the 3rd goal was really nice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you people trying to analyze yesterday´s friendly game vs Albania? Really?
    It was just a training...

By the way...Messi´s assist to Aguero for the 3rd goal was really nice.
    Meh, we were commenting on the game as it was going on. My issues with the team and guys like DiMaria predate the friendly. Seeing more of the same prompted the comments, that's all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW watching Messi play outside of Barcelona makes you appreciate just how good he is. In Barcelona he's obviously regarded as the best player by pretty much everybody but in most games he has the luxury of staying upfront and rest or dropping back to get in touch with the ball but just to make some passes and chill a bit. In argentina he doesn't have the teammates he has in Barcelona so he knows he has to do a lot more. He has to drop back to miedfield get past a couple of defenders, make a "through pass" and sprint to the box to finish off plays. He has to be Messi, Xavi and Iniesta all in one, there's virtually no offensive play that can be made without the intervention of Messi in Argentina, it's both mind blowing and disturbing to watch for me.
    Agree. And that ties with what I was saying earlier about predictability. Granted, it's difficult to stop him, but it's not unreasonable to think that if you manage to control him, argentina would have a very difficult time generating actual offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Di Maria is talented but he seems to have a low football IQ. He's overrated imo. I didn't understand how Mourinho played him instead of Ozil against Madrid

I don't think Ozil is anything special either, tbh. He's a better defender than DiMaria (not that difficult, imo) and probably has better midfielder skills, but he isn't particularly skilled.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Ozil is anything special either, tbh. He's a better defender than DiMaria (not that difficult, imo) and probably has better midfielder skills, but he isn't particularly skilled.
    well i thought he was Madrid's best player this year. I don't agree with you though, i think he'll become a crack in the future.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well to each his own with the jersey, but I don't see how you can like to see or wear those fitted jerseys with gold highlights, they are both fruity and non-traditional IMO.

Di Maria isnt a bad player, hes just a bit redundant with messi, tevez, and aguero available. The only thing he does better than them is shoot from distance but he doesnt do it enough and the other guys bring more to the table. I agree Ozil is better, because he is a legit playmaker and that is always more valuable than a dribble/shoot player. And yes, Messi made a very nice assist for Aguero's goal.

I didnt bother watching the game, but I dont get why people are knocking argentina for being predictable and playing through messi- first, that has been batista's stated goal since he began, and second, if it wasnt his stated goal you'd all be criticizing him for not using messi as the focal point... My point is, they have to play through messi, what they need to work on is taking advantage of the attention he gets and space he creates, use him as a decoy, etc... In real games they need to keep possession to protect the shaky back, but they should take advantage of these games to risk more and find those openings and see what works for them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Argentina will win the tournament

Of course, I have been on a red hot jinxing streak lately, so I apologize to all Argies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Two different positions, Di Maria is a winger while Ozil is a playmaker, maybe Mouriho wanted to attack Barca opening up the field and coming from the sides (that's how they won the Copa del Rey, where Di Maria was player of the game). To me is not a matter of chosing one or the other, I would have played with both guys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Argentina will win the tournament

Thread Information