Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    A refresher article regarding Sheffield and "The Cream"

Yankee says Bonds told him about BALCO
    ESPN.com news services
    Updated: October 5, 2004, 8:55 PM ET

Sheffield told the magazine that he thought "the cream" was cortisone-based -- he applied it to his surgically repaired knee -- and that he so little suspected its true ingredients that he openly kept it in his locker.

"I was mad. I want everybody to be on an even playing field," Sheffield told the magazine.

Bonds, through a spokesperson, declined to address Sheffield's comments in the magazine, saying only, "I wish nothing but the best for Gary. I want him to win the MVP. He deserves it."

Bob Holley, the lawyer for BALCO president Victor Conte, said in an e-mail to The Associated Press on Tuesday that "BALCO provided Gary Sheffield with no illegal substances and the check BALCO received from Sheffield was for legal nutritional supplements."

Sheffield, who spends much of the article detailing what he considers to be Bonds' character flaws and explaining why he no longer wants to be a friend of Bonds', said he was shocked and angry when it was reported that BALCO's "the cream" and "the clear" were designer steroids. <---Sounds true to me mainly because Bonds was smart enough to keep what could become incriminating information to himself. Bonds had nothing to gain and much to lose by sharing more than the bare minimum about the substances he was using.>
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1895380
    Based on a combination of factors, e.g., his disdain for Bonds, keeping the knee ointment openly in his locker, and the banner year he's having at the age of 38 without any illegal substances I have come to the following conclusions:
    1. I find Sheffield's contention that he didn't know the substances were illegal to be entirely plausible.
    2. I don't believe his usage improved his performance.

At the same time, I know there are close-minded individuals, bent on believing the worst about Sheffield, who are incapable of objective thought on the subject.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sheffield stated that he had taken both the cream and clear, although at the time he did not know what they were
    I've got ocean front property in Arizona to sell to the people who believe that.

Thread Information